Jaw aches near the ear
Complaints about the pain in the jaw near the ear of dentists are very familiar. They appear suddenly and, as a rule, are accompanied by a loud crunchy sound. The reasons for their occurrence are different. And some of them can pose a real threat to health.
Why can the jaw ache near the ear when chewing?
Pain in the jaw is just a symptom, not an independent disease. And the following factors can cause it:
- The most simple reason for the occurrence of unpleasant sensations is trauma. Because of a severe blow to the head area, the integrity of the facial bone is often violated. In addition to pain, with the appearance of edema, hemorrhages are observed.
- Do not be surprised why they have a jaw near the ear, people wearing braces or dentures. And if in the first case, soreness is a sign of recovery, then in the second case, when it appears, it is desirable to appear to a specialist as soon as possible.
- Teething wisdom tooth is almost always accompanied by some problems. Sometimes it's a pain in the jaw.
- A serious cause is jaw osteomyelitis. The disease extends to all the elements of bone tissue. It appears as a result of the activity of pathogenic microorganisms that have penetrated into the root canals.
- The jaw near the ear can also hurt due to neuralgia. It affects the glossopharyngeal, trigeminal or guttural nerves.
- Odontogenic pain in the ear often becomes a consequence of such dental diseases as caries or pulpitis. At night, discomfort usually intensifies.
- Burning in the jaw is a sign of arteritis.
- Pain sensations in the jaw near the ear when chewing and opening the mouth may indicate dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint. The problem is necessarily accompanied by loud clicks with each movement of the jaw.
- One of the most terrible causes - tumors, good and malignant. A characteristic symptom of oncology is the appearance of swelling in the area of the cheekbones.
- The jaw can also ache due to the formation of furuncles, fistulas, abscesses and phlegmon in it.
What should I do if my jaw hurts?
Do not ignore the unpleasant sensations! If the cause is traumatic, it may be necessary to correct the jaw, and in particularly difficult cases - even surgery.
To ease the condition and relieve pain temporarily help tincture from the mother-and-stepmother. And of course, at the time of treatment will have to give up hard and tough food. Why does the jaw ache beside the ear?| |My health
Often we are faced with the development of sudden pain in the jaw area. Let's try to tell what this is related to, led for a small list of reasons causing this state.
1. Fracture of
If a person has received a severe blow to the facial area, for example, in case of an accident or accident, a fracture of the lower or upper jaw may occur. If the human skull was subjected to especially strong or multiple mechanical effects, then a fracture of two jaws, both upper and lower, may occur. With this development of events, the jaw hurts near the ear at the opening of the mouth, if the patient at all can open it.
If the jaw bone is broken integrity, after a strong mechanical impact, then this is diagnosed as a fracture of the jaw. Fractures of the jaws are divided into direct and reflected fractures, single and multiple, with or without displacement of fragments, closed or open. The main symptoms of a fracture are pain in the jaw region, a difficult act of chewing, bruising, swelling.
2. Osteomyelitis of jaws
This disease is infectious, which can affect all parts of the human jawbone and cause a particularly pronounced inflammatory process. In medicine, hematogenous and odontogenic osteomyelitis is described. The latter can occur as a result of an infection that affects the dentogingival pocket. The causative agent of this infection are streptococci, staphylococci and anaerobic bacteria.
If the pain in the jaw is pulsating, the jaw hurts near the ear while chewing, the body temperature rises, the headache worries, then the diagnosis of "osteomyelitis" is quite appropriate.
The doctor must find the affected tooth, the pulp of which has already died out( it can also be sealed teeth).As a rule, it hurts not only the tooth with dead pulp, but also the neighboring ones. At the same time they are very sore and staggered. In advanced cases, complications such as phlegmon or abscess are not excluded. In the analysis of the patient's blood there is an increased amount of neutrophilic leukocytes and ESR.The general condition of the patient can have different forms of severity.
3. Odontogenous cause of
Jaws can also hurt due to diseases of the oral cavity. For example, tooth decay, which affected the nerve or lesion of the pulp. Almost all diseases of the maxillofacial apparatus can be the causes of pain in the jaw.
In this case, pain intensifies at night, taking a pulsating form. It seems to the sick that the cause of their suffering is in the root of the affected tooth. In some cases, there may be pain in the jaw caused by the appearance of microabscesses and osteomyelitis. After tooth extraction, a dental operation is performed. Sometimes there may be neuropathy of the trigeminal nerve. The main symptoms of this disease are a numbness of the lower lip and a lack of tonus of the chewing musculature.
4. Disrupted functions of the temporomandibular joint
In such situations, patients are concerned about pain in the jaw, temples, cheeks, joints. The person opens his mouth with great difficulty, and with every movement of the jaw there is an unpleasant click. The facts explaining the dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint are many. These include the myofascial syndrome of chewing muscles, and the inflammatory process and an incorrect bite. Therefore, the question of how to treat pain in the jaw near the ear, you can give only one answer - to contact a specialist who can accurately determine the cause of this indisposition. Only during the examination of the patient and in particular, based on his painful sensations when opening the mouth, problems in the joint structure can be found.
This ailment, with good reason, can be called a type of migraine. Its main manifestation is pain, which is manifested by attacks, which does not occur for several hours. It appears in the region of the upper jaw, oral cavity, ear, spreading all over the face.
When exposed to the carotid artery, the patient feels a sharp pain. Symptoms similar to carotidinia are present in both temporal arthritis and a tumor that shifts the artery to one side.
What if my jaw aches?
You need to contact one of the experts listed below:
Do you have a jaw near your ear?
Hello, friends! Unfortunately, for the localization of pain, it is almost never possible to determine exactly what it is caused by, and this also applies to the situation when the jaw is hurting near the ear.
Maybe near the ear and not only near him is the bone tissue itself damaged, or maybe the ear itself or other nearby tissues near the ear.
But often, in addition to pain, there are other symptoms, by combination of which the doctor can more accurately diagnose.
Jaw aches near the ear
If it hurts near the ear, then this may be caused by:
- growth or an improper disposition of the wisdom tooth;
- by inflammation of the trigeminal nerve;
- arthritis or arthrosis of the joint;
- is an infectious disease that affects the ear or ears, lymph nodes( it hurts not only near the ear, but also in other parts of the head);
- oncological disease( about the symptoms of cancer I wrote earlier);
- by mechanical damage leading to fracture or dislocation.
Jaw fracture treatment
If after an impact a person has a bias, the bite has changed, it hurts badly when chewing movements, urgently carry it to the X-ray. Most likely, he will have a jaw fracture whose treatment takes a long time and delivers a lot of discomfort to the patient.
First, anesthesia is performed and the fragments are combined. Then they must be immobilized, that is, immobilized, otherwise they will again shift and grow together incorrectly. To do this, the bus is most often applied.
It's important to remember!
Immobilization lasts for an average of 6 weeks. At this time, the patient can only take food of liquid consistency through a straw. Sometimes resort to probe feeding.
Of drugs prescribe antibiotics( in the early days), to strengthen the body - vitamins B, C, Pentoxyl, methyluracil. To speed up healing, various physiotherapeutic procedures are performed( UFO, UHF therapy, magnetotherapy).After removing the tire, exercise therapy helps to develop stagnant areas more quickly.
There are two types of "jaw diets".At the first meal has a consistency of cream. It is prescribed in cases when the patient can not chew, and it is difficult to swallow.
The second diet provides for food, which has a density, like sour cream - is intended for patients who have restored the swallowing function. For more solid food, the patient will be able to go only after he has fully grown bones.
How to fix the jaw
One should be aware that the dislocation is no less serious than the fracture. Only the doctor knows how to fix the jaw correctly, especially since this manipulation is very painful and requires anesthesia.
- Anesthesia is administered subcutaneously with a solution of promedol.
- Sit the patient on a hard chair so that the nape has a support, and the "chewing apparatus" is at the level of the elbow of the doctor. After that, the doctor directs her directly, moving her down and back and simultaneously lifting her chin.
- Then it is immobilized( immobilized) for up to two weeks.
- During this period, a mandibular diet is prescribed.
About chronic dislocations or subluxations accompanied by a snap, read in a separate article.
If you have an jaw near the ear of , be sure to look for the cause, because if it hurts it is a useful signal that can not be ignored.
Why does the jaw hurt on the right and left, the causes of pain in the upper and lower jaw?
There are several main reasons for the occurrence of pain in the jaw area:
- Jaw injuries-bruises, dislocations, fractures and other injuries. A person, as a rule, experiences acute pain in the lower or upper jaw. If there is a fracture, there is an obvious displacement of the jaw forward or sideways;
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases, for example, inflammatory processes in the oral cavity and nose( sinusitis, glossitis, gingivitis).The most common is a purulent-inflammatory lesion of the bone - osteomyelitis. The person at the same time feels a sharp pain, the body temperature rises. Another disease affecting the jaw joint is arthrosis. The main symptoms are a crunch and aching pain in the jaw. Only the doctor can make an accurate diagnosis during the examination and after the X-ray or MRI;
- Pathologies of peripheral nerves and vessels also cause pain in the jaw. For example, with neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve, a person experiences pain from the right and left side of the jaw at night, and with the upper laryngeal neuralgia pain occurs under the lower jaw. Treatment of this kind of diseases is done with the help of medications, in extreme cases resort to surgical intervention. If the vessels are affected, arteritis of the facial artery or carotid artery disease may appear;
- Tumor processes such as, osteoid asteoma, osteoblastoklastoma, adamantinoma. They are characterized by pain in the jaw region at night and an increase in the size of the jaw.
Pain in the jaw near the ear.
If you feel that your jaw hurts and gives into your ear, then the cause lies in the pathology of the temporomandibular joint. It can be arthritis, arthrosis or dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint.
In arthritis, a person feels aching pain in the upper jaw, notices a crunch and pain when opening the mouth. Also in the mornings stiffness of movements is noted. In order to make an accurate diagnosis and begin treatment, you need to visit the dentist.
Arthritis has the same symptom, but pain can be of varying degrees of intensity, and when the joint moves, a person can feel not only a crunch, but also noise, clicks.
Pain under the lower jaw.
The main cause of such pains is anatomical formations. When they begin to develop, the person feels pain, which gives into the jaw. Typically, the cause of lymphadenitis is a pathology associated with the submandibular lymph nodes. Symptoms of lymphadenitis are pain under the lower jaw, fever, weakness. Against the background of this disease, an abscess or submandibular phlegmon can also develop.
Unpleasant sensations can also be associated with hypersensitivity of the tongue or its inflammatory lesion. Then develop glossagia or glossitis, which are characterized by pain in the lower jaw.
Pain when chewing and opening the jaw.
Pain in the jaw when opening the mouth, usually a sure sign of the resulting dislocation or fracture. If you completely exclude these variants, another cause that causes pain in the jaw during chewing may become infectious inflammation: osteomyelitis.
Other diseases that cause jaw pain when chewing or opening the mouth: periodontitis, pulpal damage and caries with inflammation of the nerve. Bolts in this case are pulsating and amplified at night.
Pain in the left jaw.
The main reasons for this type of pain are infarction and angina, the symptoms of which, in particular, are associated with pain in the jaw. Because of these pathologies, the blood flow in the coronary vessels of the heart is disturbed, as a result of pain in the center of the chest and behind the breastbone. But in some cases, there are sharp pains in the lower jaw to the left.
Pain in the right jaw.
Pain in the right side of the jaw occurs due to the development of inflammatory and infectious diseases, as well as tumors. Of course, if you did not get injured. The traumatic nature of pain in the right or left jaw is also manifested by the appearance of a bruise, edema and the inability to open the mouth.
But in case of high body temperature, the pain in the jaw on the right is caused by the presence of a purulent focus. As a rule, the cause is poliomyelitis, the consequence of angina or the disease of the submaxillary lymph nodes.
If the pain on the right in the jaw has acquired a chronic character, then this may indicate the presence of neoplasms. The pain in this case is aching.
How to treat pain in the jaw joint.
We do not recommend you to get rid of the pain in the jaw, as the cause of such unpleasant sensations is much more dangerous than you might think. Even the treatment of a jaw injury, which seems to you not too serious, requires the elimination of more serious injuries, such as a dislocation or fracture.
Therefore, to determine the exact factors that caused the pain, you need to contact a surgeon or traumatologist. They will conduct the necessary examination and, if necessary, send you to a consultation with other doctors.
Treatment of pain in the jaw to the right and left implies home use of medicines, physiotherapy and surgical intervention if necessary.