When and how to put injections from rheumatism
Applying the concept of "rheumatism" in medicine, specialists understand this as completely different diseases.
What contributes to the development of this disease
Does rheumatism have a genetic character? Rheumatism is an inflammatory disease. The development of rheumatism is caused by infection. Rheumatism develops after infection caused by streptococcal bacteria or as an allergic reaction. This disease can have a genetic predisposition to its development.
Rheumatism is a medical term, often used to characterize disorders that are associated with various organs. This term can be used to identify symptoms that cause pain and weakness. The disease has a recurrent, protracted character. Often there is an attack of rheumatism.
There are more than 100 rheumatic diseases. Some of them are described as connective tissue diseases, because they affect joints and internal organs. Others are characterized as autoimmune diseases because they arise when the immune system that normally protects the body from infection and disease harms one's own healthy body tissues.
For example, the concept of "rheumatism"( rheumatic diseases) includes osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, tendonitis, lupus. Some autoimmune diseases are called "rheumatism".
Some forms of rheumatism are called "non-rheumatic rheumatism".The disease can affect soft tissues and cause pain throughout the body. Moreover, these forms can have localization in different zones in the body.
This disease can strike any person. Rheumatism is a relatively serious disease. In the absence of proper treatment, the prognosis of the development of the disease may be unfavorable. The attack of aggravation of the disease worsens its development.
Symptoms of the disease
- Pain in the joints of the ankles, knees, elbows and wrists.
- Pain in one joint that changes to another joint.
- Red, hot, swollen joints.
- Small nodules( bumps) under the skin that do not hurt.
- Chest pain.
- Bleeding from the nose.
- Pain in the stomach.
- Shortness of breath.
- Short attention span.
- Uncontrolled movements of hands, feet, face.
- Outbreaks of crying or inappropriate laughter.
Rheumatism can affect the heart, joints, nervous system, skin. A heart attack can be a consequence of rheumatism.
Treatment of this disease should be started as soon as possible. There are effective methods of treating the disease.
What are the treatment options for
? Pricks from rheumatism can help the patient. This is a fairly effective method.
The goals of the treatment are:
- Destroy the bacteria.
- Relieve symptoms.
- Monitor for inflammation.
Injections are used to diagnose joint pain. In the case of severe pain, injections are used to determine the affected area. To do this, inject lidocaine into the joint into the area of pain.
Although oral pain relievers can relieve pain for a short time, rheumatic nodules have a longer-term effect.
What drugs are used in injections for rheumatism injections? It is cortisone, corticosteroids, lidocaine, and sometimes aqueous solutions of gold are used to treat pain in the joints. Cortisone and corticosteroids reduce the inflammatory response.
Experts are not yet clear how gold affects joint pain. But during the research, the effectiveness and long-term effectiveness of gold injections was proven to reduce and interrupt pain in rheumatism. Specialists suggest that metals such as gold and platinum are capable of destroying viruses, bacteria and other pathogens that can damage joints and cause an immune response that leads to inflammation. This is especially useful for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Another advantage of gold injections is the long-term anesthesia( from three months to several years).And in some cases, pain comes as a whole. But usually these procedures take three or more months to relieve the patient of the pain. They can be quite expensive.
Therapy of rheumatism with the help of injections is widely used in modern medicine.
How can I prevent and detect relapses of rheumatism
Which medications relieve rheumatism and help prevent relapse of the disease?
Antibiotics are individually prescribed to a patient with rheumatism after thorough diagnosis. First of all, the doctor can prescribe antibiotics( for example, penicillin, erythromycin or some other antibiotic) to destroy streptococcal bacteria in the body. After completing the full course, the patient will be assigned a different course of antibiotics to prevent relapse.
Some patients may be advised to continue preventive antibiotic treatment for a long time, in some cases - almost the rest of their lives. But it is important to do this in order to get rid of streptococcal bacteria. Otherwise, there is a serious risk of recurrence of rheumatism, which significantly increases the risk of heart damage.
Penicillin injections from rheumatism
Patients have a high risk of repeated attacks of rheumatic fever and the development of rheumatic heart disease after strep throat infection. The administration of penicillin injections to these patients can prevent repeated rheumatic attacks and subsequent heart disease. Intramuscular injections of penicillin are more effective than oral administration of penicillin in the prevention of recurrence of rheumatism and strep throat infection.
Patients with rheumatism may have frequent complications of the disease if they do not receive regular injections of penicillin. If the patient does not tolerate penicillin, the doctor can prescribe an injection of antibiotic oxacillin to him.
The patient needs to know that antibiotic therapy can not cure rheumatism. It only creates obstacles to the impact on the body of a patient with streptococcal infection.
How can I reduce inflammation in rheumatism and how can injections help?
Streaking with rheumatism with corticosteroids
Strokes with corticosteroids are made to the patient to reduce inflammation in the joints. Most often doctors prescribe prednisolone. These injections are most effective. But corticosteroids have side effects, especially if high doses of medication are taken for a long time. Stomach upset, bloating, increased appetite and weight gain are the most common side effects. Prolonged use of corticosteroids can also lead to loss of bone mass or osteoporosis. These injections are done under the supervision of a doctor. It is necessary to report any problems associated with the administration of corticosteroids to your doctor. You can reduce your calorie intake to prevent excessive weight gain.
Pricks from rheumatism will help make the prognosis of the disease favorable.
Rheumatism with methotrexate
Methotrexate is the most commonly prescribed drug for controlling rheumatic diseases. There are three main reasons why it is better to use methotrexate in injections than oral.
- The injections with methotrexate have significantly fewer side effects.
- The use of methotrexate in injections is more effective.
- Injections may introduce a larger dose of the drug than oral administration.
However, it must be remembered that methotrexate not only makes life easier for the patient with rheumatism. It's a toxic substance.
The most common side effects of methotrexate are:
- Irritation of the digestive tract. This can range from mild nausea to severe vomiting and diarrhea.
- Hair loss possible.
- Methotrexate may cause a feeling of weakness.
- Patient receiving injections with methotrexate has a better chance of getting severe sunburn.
- The most serious side effect of injections with methotrexate is severe liver damage.
- There is a small risk of pneumonia due to taking methotrexate. This is a dangerous complication that can occur at any time. Patients should report any persistent manifestations of dry cough to their doctors immediately.
- A woman taking this medication should avoid pregnancy because methotrexate causes miscarriage or birth defects of the fetus.
- Methotrexate must be discontinued before surgery.
- Drinking alcohol should be restricted. Otherwise, the prognosis of the disease can be unfavorable.
What causes these side effects of methotrexate?
Methotrexate neutralizes folic acid at the cellular level. That is why it is also called the "antagonist of folic acid."This is considered the cause of most of the side effects of methotrexate. But all these side effects can be mitigated by taking folic acid. And this does not prevent the effectiveness of methotrexate in the treatment of rheumatism.
A patient taking methotrexate should avoid exposure to sunlight and use a high level of sunscreen to prevent severe sunburn.
Because methotrexate reduces immune activity, precautions should be taken to avoid infection.
All this affects the prognosis of the disease.
Injections in rheumatism play a crucial role, as the prognosis of the development of this disease can be beneficial only by applying injections with medications prescribed by the doctor.
Is the sauna showing a sick rheumatism?
Not only injections, but also thermal procedures( bath) will help to treat the disease. Bath is one of such means, it makes it possible to use various decoctions. Bath has long been used to treat patients with rheumatism. A good birch broom and bath - that's what every patient with rheumatism needs. Old pains will ease the bath and folk remedies.
What often bothers a patient with rheumatism
Some patients are worried that injections of rheumatic fever have many side effects. In addition, many patients are worried about the idea that they can have a lifelong dependence on these drugs. Can I not use these medications?
Of course, they are not completely secure. Nevertheless, these injections are safer than living with rheumatism without the use of prescribed medications. Proper treatment of rheumatism gives hope to the patient for a favorable prognosis of the disease and the possibility of avoiding disability in the future.
- Rheumatism is a disease that requires constant treatment, as it has serious consequences.
- The most effective part of this treatment are injections of rheumatism.
- For those who suffer from chronic joint pain, the method of injection is the only way to relieve the disease and avoid complications.
- But since medications that are used in rheumatism injections have many side effects, the patient must strictly follow the doctor's prescribed treatment and instruction on the use of these medicines. The injections from rheumatism are effective, if they are done constantly.
- Bath and related procedures can be useful for rheumatism. But before deciding whether you need a bath or not, you need to consult your doctor.
This determines the prognosis of the development of this disease.
Rheumatism: treatment with ointment
Rheumatism is a group of infectious and allergic diseases, the object of destruction of which is the connective tissue of the heart, muscles, joints. Ill with rheumatism after streptococcal infection - sore throat, pharyngitis, tonsillitis - and, mainly, children 7-15 years old. Rheumatic fever can affect the functioning of the cardiovascular and nervous systems, causing heart disease, neuritis. But most often rheumatism affects joints: knee, ankle, wrist, ulnar and others. The attack is accompanied by a very painful swelling of the joint, redness and increased skin temperature.
Treatment of rheumatism should be comprehensive, including medications for internal use, rubbing with medicinal tinctures and decoctions, rubbing ointments. People's means can be useful. The most effective remedy for joint pain is ointment, which is simply manufactured at home under the following prescription. You will need:
- butter, 800-1000 g;
- birch buds, 400-500 g;
- camphor oil, 8-10 g.
In a narrow dish, layers of 1-1.5 cm of butter and birch buds are laid. The lower and upper layers must be oil. The dishes are closed and placed for 24 hours in a heated and switched off oven. To seal the dishwasher cover, it must be smeared, for example, with a dough. After that, squeeze the oil from the kidneys, mix it with camphor. The ointment is ready. She is rubbed into aching joints before going to bed. A sore spot can be put overnight with birch leaves or a mug of burdock moistened with water and wrapped with a warm cloth. This miracle ointment should be stored in the refrigerator. Its shelf life is limited.
It should be noted that the main medical component of most external remedies for rheumatism is camphor - an antiseptic, which has a warming and pain-relieving effect. A peculiar smell of camphor is distinguished by an ointment intended for rubbing into the joints and muscle tissue. Has the right to exist the following home remedy for rheumatism. For its preparation you will need:
- camphor, 50 g;
- alcohol, 10 g;
- mustard, 50 g;
- egg white, 10 g.
In turn, camphor, mustard, protein are added to the alcohol. The components are mixed until the consistency of the ointment. She rubs herself in the aching joint before going to bed. After applying ointments for joints, complete rest is always desirable. Here is a simple recipe for another folk remedy for the treatment of rheumatism. Horse chestnut is ground into powder and mixed with camphor oil. The resulting ointment is spread on a piece of bread and applied to the joint.
The pharmaceutical industry produces a lot of external medicines, which are usually directed not only against rheumatism. Their application covers a wide range of diseases: radiculitis, osteochondrosis, neuralgia, arthritis, muscle inflammation, trauma. One of the most famous means is turpentine ointment. The simple composition of this ointment - turpentine oil, vodovazelinovaya emulsion - does not make it ineffective. Much more complicated composition of efkamona:
- clove oil;
- mustard oil;
- eucalyptus oil;
- methyl salicylate;
- tincture of bitter pepper;
- chloral hydrate;
- cinnamic alcohol;
- petroleum jelly.
Ointment improves blood circulation in the skin and subcutaneous layers, which gives a warming effect that alleviates the condition of diseased muscles and joints. It is rubbed 2-3 times a day, after which a warming bandage is applied to the sore spot. It should be remembered that any external remedy for rheumatism can not be used on damaged skin and skin diseases, as well as allergic reactions.
Another common remedy for rheumatism Liniment "Sanitas" includes already familiar components:
- methyl salicylate;
- eucalyptus oil;
- turpentine oil;
This ointment has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. It should be noted that when using all these tools after rubbing them, in order to achieve a better therapeutic effect, the sore spot should be tied with a heat-retaining tissue.
Ointments of foreign origin
In addition to these ointments, the pharmacy will offer exotic medicines. The champion in the multicomponent among them is Harraz "Dalka" of Egyptian production. In its composition, in addition to irreplaceable camphor, include: eucalyptus, lemon, lavender, rosemary, chamomile and ginger extracts, menthol, bee venom and a number of plants( Kalanchoe, bergamot, black pepper, marjoram, mustard).Unlike similar products, "Dalka" has a pleasant smell and therefore has the right to be called a cream, although its therapeutic effect is not weaker than that of conventional ointments."Dalka" will help with rheumatic pain, as well as with osteochondrosis, traumatic pains - dislocations, sprains, bruises.
El Captain series ointments with ostrich fat and black caraway are directed against various joint and muscle pains. Despite the presence of rather unusual substances in the form of painkillers in the way they are used, they do not differ from the usual ointments. Rub them before leaving for a long rest massaging movements until completely absorbed.
Sore place after treatment with ointment should be kept warm.
It should be remembered that, despite the high painkilling, anti-inflammatory efficacy of folk remedies and pharmaceuticals, rheumatism requires complex treatment. And it is even better to avoid it altogether, having learned from childhood to lead a healthy life: to temper, improve immunity. Illness is better to warn.
Rheumatism - treatment
Rheumatism is a common disease that affects the connective tissues of the joints. Most often accompanied by seasonal exacerbations and disorders in the work of the cardiovascular system.
Causes of rheumatism
Appears due to streptococcal infections, poor heredity, slagging of blood due to improper diet. The disease can be an exacerbation of scarlet fever, transferred "on the legs" of angina, pharyngitis.
Diagnosis of rheumatism
In the laboratory it is difficult to determine the rheumatic cause of pain.
There are a few diagnostic options but they are quite complex:
- analysis for the presence of Group A streptococci;
- hematological analysis( blood biochemistry) for the presence of rheumatism in the acute phase.
Most often, the diagnosis is made due to clinical symptoms of rheumatism. To laboratory methods resort very rarely.
You can see violations when performing:
- USD of the heart;
- ECG( manifested in violation of the heart rhythm);
Treatment of rheumatism
When the disease worsens, recommend bed rest, sometimes - hospitalization for several weeks. How to treat rheumatism is decided only by a doctor, combining medicamental therapy with folk remedies or procedures that can be done at home. The most commonly prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs along with glucocorticoids "Prednisol"
Additionally, depending on the situation, antibiotics penicillin group with immunostimulants "Histoglobulin" are prescribed.
The main cure for rheumatism is sleep and rest, proper nutrition. To avoid the consequences of the disease, physiotherapy is used. Warm spots with UHF lamps, electrophoresis, radon and ozone baths.
Treatment of rheumatism with folk remedies is recommended in conjunction with medical therapy, under the supervision of a doctor. Thanks to home procedures you can remove puffiness when exacerbating, dull pain, remove strong inflammation by natural means.
The main recipes of traditional medicine in its composition have a lemon. It helps to remove inflammation, use its juice and peel. Also effective are: infusion of birch buds, animal fat( bear, nutria, badger).
How to cure rheumatism completely, without relapse - has not yet been studied. Very often the disease begins to appear with new strength in the off-season, after a cold, flu, and an exacerbation of heart diseases.
Ointment for rheumatism
Ointment for rheumatism can be prepared at home - this will require:
- dry mustard.
This remedy has a local effect, relieves acute pain and inflammation.
Prevention of rheumatism
Prevention of rheumatism is divided into the main and secondary:
The main prevention means prevention of the disease:
- increase immunity, temper the body, monitor the nutrition, rest;
- timely treatment of streptococcal infections.
Auxiliary should direct all forces to prevent relapses of rheumatic attacks.
The diet for rheumatism involves the reduction of allergens in foods, the removal of inflammation, the correction of metabolic disorders,reduces the harm from drugs.
Nutrition for rheumatism is prescribed taking into account the propensity to kidney diseases, problems with the gastrointestinal tract, circulatory disorders or metabolic processes of the body. It is recommended to pay attention to bread without salt, vegetable soups, dairy products( especially cottage cheese and hard cheese), cooked in a double boiler, diet meat and fish, cooked fruits and vegetables, cereals, compotes.
It should be excluded from the diet of spices, spicy food, canned food, beans, liver, fried meat and fish, cocoa, coffee, confectionery, baking. Possible complications ↑
In the absence of treatment, rheumatic heart disease occurs. Heart rate abnormalities and heart rate, heart pain and heartbeat failures suggest that inflammation of the heart tissue develops, accompanied by shortness of breath, sweating and weakness.
Other effects of untreated chronic joint rheumatism include:
- rheumatoid arthritis( characterized by chest pain, cough, shortness of breath and fever)
- rheumatic skin disease( subcutaneous rheumatic nodules or annular erythema);
- if nervous tissue is involved in the inflammatory process, the patient develops uncontrolled muscle contractions( grimaces, sharp movements, speech becomes indistinct, handwriting is broken).
The diagnosis can only be made by a rheumatologist.
For this purpose, a complex examination of the body is appointed:
- , a general clinical blood test is necessary to detect signs of inflammation in the body;
- immunological analysis of blood is done in order to find in it characteristic for rheumatism substances( they appear in the blood a week after the onset of the disease and concentrate as much as possible on 3-6 weeks);
- heart echocardiography and electrocardiography is used to assess the condition of the heart, determine or exclude its lesions;
- for the evaluation of the joint condition, X-ray of the joints, biopsy, arthroscopy and a puncture for the examination of the joint fluid.
If there are lesions of other organs, it may be necessary to consult other specialists.It hurts to move your fingers in the morning? Find out why the joints of the fingers are aching, from our article.
What causes pain in the elbow? Read here.
Than to treat an arthrosis of a humeral joint? All the necessary information in this material.
How to treat?↑
Rheumatism occurs as a chronic disease with periodic remissions and exacerbations.
During periods of exacerbation, patients are advised to limit the number of movements to reduce the burden on the joints. To do this, they are shown bed rest.
In case of mild illness it is enough to observe a semi-fast mode for 10 days.
An easy form of the disease can be treated at home.
In severe, or rheumatism of moderate severity, strict bed rest is required from 2 weeks to 1 month.
According to the indications in the dynamics, with the normalization of the general condition and the indicators of laboratory studies, you can gradually increase the activity of movements.
Completely cure rheumatism is impossible, but can not be treated at all.
Ideally, if the complex applies all possible measures to combat this disease: medicamental, physiotherapy treatment, diet, etc.
The success of treatment will largely depend on the correct choice of medication.
For the treatment of rheumatism joints are several types of drugs with different effects:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Necessary to eliminate pain symptoms and suppress the inflammatory process in connective tissue.
- Antibiotics. The main task in the treatment of rheumatism is the suppression of streptococcal infection, which is a provoker of the disease and subsequent complications. To do this, antibacterial agents of the penicillin group and their analogs or broad-spectrum antibiotics( erythromycin, ampicillin, etc.) are used. Such therapy lasts up to 15 days. In the future, for the prevention of recurrence and complications on the heart for 5 years 1 time in 20 days, the patient is injected with this drug.
- Immunosuppressants. Immunosuppressants weaken the body's response to infection, slightly suppress the immune response.
- Corticosteroid hormones. Assigned if antibiotics and NSAIDs are ineffective in controlling rheumatism. They combine with other drugs to eliminate all unpleasant symptoms for several days.
All drugs used for treatment are effective, but have certain contraindications.
Therefore, to minimize their harmful effects from prolonged use and increase the effectiveness of therapy, a complex treatment is prescribed. It is carried out under the strict supervision of a doctor.
Treatment of joint rheumatism with folk remedies is possible.
And for many years folk medicine has accumulated many recipes to combat this disease. But it is better to carry out treatment in combination with medication.
It is advisable to consult with your doctor about the appropriateness and correctness of this treatment.
- Two tablespoons of fresh dandelion flower flowers are crushed and add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Leave in a cool place for 7-10 days, then squeeze the juice and take it 3 times a day for 20 drops.
- In 200 ml of vodka, insist for 1 week 30 grams of yellow acacia leaves. Take 20 drops of tincture in the morning, lunch and evening.
- Elm bark( 20 grams) pour a glass of boiling water and do not remove from heat for 10 minutes. Then leave for 3 hours. Prepared tincture can be taken on 1 spoon 4 times a day.
- Roots of wild rose and chopped vodka. Within 2 weeks, insist in a dark place. Take 1 spoonful three times a day.
- The fruits of sea buckthorn, red mountain ash or physalis also have an anti-rheumatic effect. From them prepare broths and tinctures.
- Pharmacy tincture of barberry is taken 30 drops 3 times a day.
- Squeeze the juice of nettle, take the same amount of honey and concentrated alcohol. All this is mixed and left in the refrigerator for 15 days. Take 1 spoonful 3 times a day shortly before meals. The course of admission is six months.when developing arthritis is recommended to use until the movements in the joints are not easy and free.
- Take 40 grams of chopped garlic, pour 100 ml of vodka, and insist in a dark place for 10 days, periodically shaking. Take 10-15 drops 3 times a day.
Teas and decoctions:
- Green tea is very useful for rheumatism. It should be drunk at least 3 times a day.
- Black tea with raspberry berries( 30 grams of berries per glass of tea) also helps to fight the symptoms of inflammation.
- Herbal teas made of fattened thick bean, bearberry, cocklebur, shepherd's bag, yarrow, tartar, violets, daisies or alfalfa are useful.
- A mixture of carrot and celery juices in a ratio of 7: 3 to drink every day.
- Decoction from the roots of burdock and elecampane should be taken within 2 months 2 spoons 3 times a day.
Even folk medicine recommends that patients with rheumatism joints take a bath with a decoction of flowers of chamomile, clover, thyme, roots of wild rose or ayr.
In the treatment of rheumatism, nutrition should also be given attention: the main thing is that the body receives all the necessary substances.
Doctors recommend adhering to diet No. 15, increasing the protein component of the diet and reducing the intake of carbohydrates and salt. Do not forget about fruits and vegetables, drink warm drinks: tea with raspberries, decoction of linden.
It is recommended to exclude from food:
All about rheumatism and its treatment - Polysmed
Rheumatism: causes, main symptoms and signs, modern methods of diagnosis and treatment.
Rheumatism, or acute rheumatic fever( RRL) is a disease that occurs, mainly in childhood, which is characterized by inflammation and severe pain in the joints, as well as inflammation of the heart tissue with the risk of developing acquired heart disease.
The main cause of rheumatic fever is an infection caused by a bacterium streptococcus. Rheumatism, as a rule, develops several weeks after the transferred angina or pharyngitis.
The main symptoms of rheumatism are: inflammation and severe joint pain, fever, weakness, shortness of breath, skin rash, etc. A particular danger with rheumatism is inflammation of the heart, which can be complicated by damage to the heart valves and the development of acquired heart disease.
Diagnosis of rheumatism is carried out on the basis of laboratory data( general and biochemical blood test, blood test for ASL-O level), and instrumental examination methods( electrocardiogram, chest X-ray, x-rays of joints, etc.).
In the treatment of rheumatism, antibiotics( penicillins), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( Aspirin) and steroid hormones( Prednisolone, etc.) are used.
Reasons for the development of rheumatism
The main cause of rheumatism is infection caused by the group A streptococcal bacterium A.
In most cases, in a few weeksbefore the first attack of rheumatism the child suffers an infectious disease, usually, angina, scarlet fever, or pharyngitis.
It is believed that streptococci, which causes the above diseases, provokes the development of a special immune response directed against the cells of the connective tissue of the patient's body. Since connective tissue is present in almost all organs of man, including joints, heart, skin, etc., inflammation affects almost the entire body. At what age does rheumatism develop?
The first attack of rheumatic fever, as a rule, develops in children from 5 to 15 years. Very rarely the first attack of acute rheumatic fever develops in infants, preschool children, and also in adults after 35 years.
Symptoms and signs of rheumatism
Below are the most common symptoms of rheumatism:
1. Increase in body temperature to 38-40C.
2. Severe pain in large joints is one of the most common symptoms of rheumatism, which is called rheumatic polyarthritis.
Rheumatic polyarthritis has some features:
- Large joints: knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, wrist joints, etc., are inflamed. Joints are affected symmetrically: for example, both knees are inflamed simultaneously.
- Inflammation of the joints develops very rapidly, sometimes for several hours. The skin in the joint area is swollen, red, hot to the touch.
- Severe pain interferes with movement in the joints. Often with acute rheumatic fever a child can not get out of bed.
- If not treated, after a week the inflammation in the joints stops automatically. Perhaps the development of inflammation of other large joints. In general, rheumatic polyarthritis lasts 4-5 weeks.
Important: After the inflammatory process subsides, the shape of the joints and their mobility are completely restored. If the joints do not recover after 4-5 weeks after the onset of the disease, the diagnosis of rheumatism is questioned.
3. Shortness of breath, palpitations, a feeling of heart failure, weakness, dizziness, chest pain - all these symptoms may indicate inflammation of the heart, or rheumatic carditis( rheumatic carditis).Inflammation of the heart with rheumatism can proceed and unnoticed without causing any symptoms, and in such cases it is detected only with a thorough medical examination.
Important: Rheumatism can lead to damage to the heart valves and development of severe heart defects, which in the future are complicated by heart failure. In this regard, when signs of rheumatism appear, the child needs to conduct a heart examination.
4. Violation of coordination of movements, involuntary movements of hands and feet, twitching of facial muscles( grimaces) occur in about a quarter of patients with rheumatism, more often in girls. All these symptoms have one name - rheumatic, or small chorea.
With small chorea, the behavior of the child changes: it becomes aggressive, selfish, irritable, or vice versa, passive, crying. It is difficult for the child to tie the laces, to hold in hand any object. School performance may deteriorate considerably. Strong weakness in the muscles in the horea prevents the child from walking or even sitting.
As a rule, small chorea develops several months after the angina, or the first attack of rheumatism, lasts for several weeks or months and passes by itself.
5. A reddish rash on the skin with rheumatism is called annular erythema. Elements of the rash can merge into fanciful shapes, rings. This symptom occurs approximately in every tenth patient with rheumatism. After a few weeks the rash completely disappears.
6. Subcutaneous nodules of dense consistency, painless to the touch, can sometimes occur with rheumatism, however, only a doctor can often detect them. After a few weeks, the field of appearance of the subcutaneous nodules disappears on their own.
What is rheumatic heart disease and how to recognize it?
As mentioned earlier, rheumatism can lead to the development of heart disease. A vice is a defect in the structure of the heart, which leads to a disruption of its normal functioning. Rheumatic heart defects, as a rule, develop with repeated rheumatic attacks and can not be detected after the first attack of rheumatic fever.
The most common rheumatism affects the mitral valve( narrowing the lumen or when the valve passes the blood in the wrong, reverse direction).See also Heart defects
Less common are the aortic and other valvular heart defects.
Heart disease can be asymptomatic for a long time and can only be detected after a thorough examination.
For the detection of heart disease, electrocardiography( ECG) and ultrasound of the heart( echocardiography) are used. It is very important to identify the heart defect in time and begin treatment, which will allow the heart to function normally.
Diagnosis of rheumatism
When a child develops symptoms of rheumatism( usually a fever, inflammation and severe joint pain), it is necessary to see a doctor as soon as possible. The doctor will ask questions that will help him to suspect a diagnosis of rheumatism, and then assign additional tests to clarify the diagnosis:
- A general blood test helps to suspect rheumatism. In acute rheumatic fever, an increase in the level of leukocytes is found in the general blood test, as well as an increase in ESR.
- Biochemical blood test is used to determine the level of C-reactive protein( CRP), which is usually elevated in rheumatism and some other diseases.
- The blood test for ASL-O( anti-streptolysin O) level allows the doctor to clarify whether antibodies against streptococcus are present in the blood. A high level of antibodies indicates that the patient recently underwent an infection caused by Group A streptococcus. Note that the level of ACL-O indicates only the recently transmitted infection and is not a direct evidence of rheumatism. Read more about this in the article All about increasing the level of ASL-O in the blood.
- Electrocardiography( ECG) during an attack of acute rheumatic fever allows you to identify a violation of the heart that occurs with rheumatic heart disease.
- Chest X-ray is used to determine the size of the heart, which is usually increased in patients with rheumatism.
- Heart ultrasound( Echocardiography) allows the doctor to determine the size of the cavities of the heart, the presence of damages to the valves, as well as the direction of blood flow in the cavities of the heart and large vessels. Using heart ultrasound, heart defects are detected.
How is the diagnosis of acute rheumatic fever diagnosed?
In order to diagnose rheumatism( or acute rheumatic fever), Jones' criteria are used.
If the patient has two main criteria, or one basic criterion and two additional ones, the diagnosis of rheumatism is confirmed.
Basic Jones criteria
Presence of characteristic inflammation of the joints( rheumatic polyarthritis)
Patient already suffered a rheumatic attack earlier
Heart inflammation( rheumatic carditis)