Swimming with arthrosis of the knee joint for the treatment of
disease Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is a degenerative disease.
Do you suffer from agonizing pain in your knees? If so, you are not alone. Pain in the knee is a very common complaint of people of all ages. Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is the most common disease in people over 65 years of age. Female patients with knee arthrosis account for 25.4% of cases of osteoarthritis, and men with this disease - 17.6% of cases.
What happens with arthrosis of the knee joint?
Osteoarthritis affects the elderly whose joints have lost cartilage for many years of use. Cartilage is a soft substance around the joints to prevent bones from rubbing. Cartilage is a shock absorber. A joint fluid lubricates the joint, facilitating the movement of bones. When the cartilage wears off, the bones begin to break down. The most common symptoms are a feeling of stiffness, especially in the morning or after inaction, swelling around the joints and pain. The deterioration of the cartilage state affects the shape and composition of the joint so much that it no longer functions normally.
The patient then decreases the amount of synovial fluid. The cartilage is destroyed by particles that can float in the joint fluid, causing pain. As a result, released chemicals called cytokines( proteins that cause inflammation).This causes even more damage, pain, swelling. At the ends of the bones osteophytes are formed, which cause damage to surrounding tissues and cause pain. Movements become painful and difficult. There may be difficulties with walking, climbing and descending the stairs.
What can I do to help myself?
The knees are one of the important complex compounds in the body. Knees consist of ligaments, tendons and bones. They are very susceptible to injury and damage. But if you take measures to strengthen and support the knees, you can prevent pain. Many patients with knee arthrosis believe that because of the pain, they can not perform ordinary daily activities: get out of bed, go up and down the stairs, sit behind the wheel of the car. Going to work, they are not able to perform work during the working day, especially when it is associated with a long stay on their feet or the need to sit for a long time.
In addition to traditional treatment, the patient himself can do a lot for his health. To help yourself, you need to change your way of life.
You need to get rid of extra pounds and maintain a healthy weight. This is the best thing you can do for your sick knees. Each additional kg creates an additional burden on the joints and worsens their condition. If you already have sore knees, you need to do exercises that will help you regain the strength of the surrounding joints of the muscles to strengthen the function of the knee joint and reduce pain. Because in fact, not knees hurt. The muscles surrounding the knee joint hurt.
It is necessary to engage in exercise therapy. To be strong and stay flexible, you can practice some sports that the attending physician will allow. It is very important. Because weak muscles do not support the damaged joints and can cause knee injury. It is necessary to strengthen the quadriceps and the hamstrings that support the legs in the knees.
The best kind of sports lessons for arthrosis of the knee joint is swimming and aqua aerobics. This is very effective for arthrosis of the knee joint. Water exercises can include aerobic exercises that strengthen endurance, flexibility. Exercises in the water are performed in warm water 34-36 ° C.
Why exercises in water are better than other exercises?
Water has been used for therapeutic purposes for many decades.
- Hydrotherapy helps to relax the muscles and ease the pain.
- Hydrotherapy is especially useful for arthrosis of the knee joint, as water allows you to bend and stretch the knee with less resistance.
- Warm water helps to relax muscles, and cool water will relieve pain.
- The human body has such a property in water as buoyancy. Being on the waist in the water, a person feels only about 50% of the weight. Being in the water on the chest, you can subtract another 25% of the body weight. Being in water, a person's body weighs 50-90% less than on land. For patients with knee arthrosis, this is very important, since the load on the joints decreases.
- Exercises in the water allow the patient with arthrosis to strengthen the muscles.
- Exercises that are painful on land are much less painful in water for people with arthrosis.
How effective are exercises in water for patients with arthrosis of the knee joint?
On October 17, 2007, the report of the international medical community was published in the Kohreinov Electronic Library. Patients with arthrosis of the knee and hip joint participated in the studies during 3 months. During the studies, patients performed water exercises at different time intervals. Other patients performed ground exercises. The third group of patients did not perform the exercises.
Researchers concluded that in people with arthrosis of the knee joint after regular exercise, the pain may decrease by more than one point on a scale of 0 to 20, and joint function by 3 points on a scale of 0 to 68. Patients,who practiced water exercises, there were improvements in joint function and quality of life, positive changes at the level of pain.
Researchers found that water exercises give a beneficial effect on the condition of the knees for arthrosis only with prolonged, regular exercise with water exercises. In the long term, exercise in the water can actually reduce pain, strengthen the muscles that surround the joints. Water exercises are especially suitable for those patients who are difficult to move because of the severe form of arthrosis.
Sports doctors recommend athletes to use water for rehabilitation after injuries.
What exercises can you do in the pool?
I. Walking on the water.
- you can walk in the shallow or deeper part of the pool.
- can go forward, to the side, and also forward your back to the pool to tone up different muscles.
II.Exercises in the water.
Before starting any exercise in the water, you should definitely discuss such exercises with your doctor. This is necessary to be sure that for you the benefits outweigh the risks( for example, overload the damaged joints).It is necessary to find out from the doctor what water exercises are right for you and to what extent, so as not to overdo it and not hurt yourself, exacerbating the pain.
All water exercises support the muscles of the legs, knees and increase its flexibility. Exercises in the water give natural resistance to the muscles of the legs, so it is easier to perform them than on the ground.
Most water exercises consist of exercises that are performed in an upright position
- Make flies with your legs. Sitting at the edge of the pool, lower your foot into the water and make a swing with your foot.
- Bend the knee. Hold on to the edge of the pool, standing with legs completely submerged in water. Slowly lift the leg, bending the knee at an angle of 45 °.Then you need to return to the standing position. Do this exercise for both knees up to 30 minutes every day.
- March in the water. People with knee arthrosis lose strength in the quadriceps femoris and in the popliteal muscles. To keep these muscles strong, it's useful to march in the water, raising your knees high for a long time.
- Swim with breaststroke. Swimming with a breaststroke helps legs build muscle strength. This is very useful for patients with arthrosis of the knee joint.
- Rock your foot. Immerse your body in water until your waist or higher. Put one hand on the edge of the pool for support and swing your foot, like a swing. Do the same with the opposite leg. Hold and hold your foot in front of you for at least five seconds.
- Raise your legs to the sides. Raising the leg to the side helps to keep the range of leg movements and cope with the pain. Hold on to the edge of the pool to increase balance. Lift one leg to one side and slowly lower it. Repeat the exercise with the other leg. Try 5 reps with each leg.
- Do sit-ups in the water. Stand with your back to the pool wall. Do squats in the water, bending your knees. Return to the starting position. Start doing 5 sit-ups. Then you can do more without damaging your knees.
- Circle your feet in the water. Keep your knee in the water as straight as possible. Make small and large circles with your foot. Repeat the exercise with the other leg.
- Raise a straight leg. Exercise while standing in the waist in the water. Sit down, as if you are sitting on a chair. Your hips will be parallel to the bottom of the pool. Knees should be at the ankle level. Pull your back against the wall of the pool. Make sure that the back remains stationary during this exercise. Place your hands on each side, touching the walls with your hands. Raise the foot to a height of 30 cm. Hold it in this position. Make it the other leg. You need to straighten your legs as much as possible. Inhale when doing this exercise.
- Stretching of the hamstring. Do it by standing in waist-deep water. Stand with your back to the pool wall. Tighten the muscles of the thigh and buttocks. Pull your arms out to the sides. The palms touch the wall of the pool. Pull your foot out in front of you as far as possible. Straighten the injured knee until you feel your hamstrings are stretched. Hold the stretch for five seconds. Return the leg in a standing position. Repeat this exercise 5 times.
- Walk in the water around the perimeter of the pool. Do it by standing in waist-deep water. Stay on one side of the pool. Make sure that both your feet completely touch the bottom of the pool. Take a walk along the perimeter of the pool. Begin to perform this exercise slowly, gradually increasing the tempo. Deep-sea walking is more intense than in shallow water. Start with a walk in shallow water and continue your journey to the deep end of the pool. Raise your knees high while walking along the perimeter of the pool. This adds intensity and burns calories. Start with a small lift. Then achieve a high level of knee and super-high. Work your knees intensively for most of the workout.
- Stand with your back to the pool wall. Water should be at the waist or chest level. Raise and tighten your toes and hold them in this position for 5 seconds. Relax. Start doing with 10 repetitions. When your aching knees will be able to cope with this, increase to 20 repetitions per session.
III.In the pool there is often a gym.
Exerciser for the patient with knee arthrosis
Is it possible to apply the simulator to patients with knee arthrosis? Yes, you can. But not any simulator is suitable. Do not use a simulator like a treadmill. It is inadmissible to use such a simulator, which creates a shock load on the joint. Power trainers are forbidden. You can use the bicycle ergometer. But before you go to the simulator, you need to remember the following rules:
- Before starting workout on the simulator, you need to do warm-up: warm up muscles, perform joint exercises.
- You can not squat with the weights when working with the simulator.
- You can not use pain medication before training on the simulator, because otherwise, using the simulator, you will not feel pain and risk injuring the joint.
- The load on the simulator must be symmetrical, that is, on both joints. As otherwise, the joint will overload.
With arthrosis of the knee joint, exercises in water, swimming improve joint condition: range of movements, flexibility, relieve joint pain and stiffness. You can use a physician-authorized simulator. This will slow the development of arthrosis of the knees. The correctly chosen simulator promotes effective treatment of the disease and rehabilitation of the patient.
We are treated correctly: is it possible to walk on my knees with arthrosis?
The diagnosis of "arthrosis of the knee joint" diagnosed by a doctor becomes a verdict for many, forcing people to move to a sedentary lifestyle. Considering that more than 10% of the population is involved, starting from the age of 60, the problem is aggravated. Without a doubt, a pronounced pain syndrome is a bad stimulant for physical activity, but is it worth it to rely only on medication?
It is proved that after the acute phase of the disease, when the pain in the joints ceases to bother, it is worth considering the need for sports: skiing, cycling, swimming in the pool, yoga. It is important to determine what kind of physical activity you can do and how to better distribute the load, so as not to disrupt the mobility of the joints.
The first steps to recovery after diagnosing
The statement that arthrosis can not be cured is sounding threatening, but there are a number of activities that can alleviate the suffering of the patient and slow the progress of the disease.
At the initial stage it is important to get rid of the pain, for which you should take the prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. There are certain limitations in the admission of this group of drugs associated with side effects. They drink anesthetic for a short, short course and only if necessary.
In arthrosis of the knee joint, it is important not only to get rid of pain, but also to stop the destruction in the cartilaginous tissues, normalizing the metabolism. To this end, chondroprotectors are used, which increase the amount of moisture in the cartilage, increase its strength, elasticity, and stimulate recovery processes.
These drugs include chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, and combinations thereof. In a diseased organism there is a shortage of these substances, so the drug is called upon to make up for the spent stock.
Recently, drugs have been improved and have virtually no contraindications, excluding individual intolerance. However, the medicine is also used in courses, approximately 3 to 6 months with a long break, during which the therapeutic effect remains.
The correct mode is the key to successful treatment of
Medications are important, but by no means the only way to combat pain and discomfort in arthrosis of the knee joint. At all, it will not be possible to move, but the mechanical load of the diseased joints should be unambiguously sparing.
Everything starts with the correct mode, which is especially important during periods of exacerbations. Bags of 3 kilograms during a trip to the store, which before the onset of the illness were perceived as a small load, soon turn into an unbearable burden. Pain is a sign of violations, so when it occurs, you have to be careful.
To prevent complications of arthrosis, it is necessary to exclude:
- movements that occur in spite of severe pain;
- fixed body postures for a long time;
- long standing in an uncomfortable position on the legs;
- multiple movements of the same type;
- carrying heavy things.
Care should be taken when working or moving on the knees. To avoid injury, you can use soft mats or pads. Sometimes there is a description of this method of "treating" the knee joint, like crawling on your knees. Doctors warn that the use of this technique will lead to a worsening of the condition, but not to cure.
Activity should be dosed, for example, after every 20 minutes of work, do ten-minute breaks. In the process of walking for long distances, there should be places for rest and relaxation.
In the early stages it is recommended to exercise. Skiing, cycling, swimming, yoga, self-massage will help keep activity for many years to come. But during exacerbations, accompanied by severe pain, you need to switch to a sparing semi-postal regimen and use a cane or crutches when walking.
Hold the cane correctly in the opposite arm from the affected knee joint. But the greatest effect is only the use of such a cane, which is matched correctly. To check it is possible so: at arms extended on each side in a standing position the handle reaches the beginning of a radiocarpal joint. For safety use, a rubber nozzle is attached to the lower end of the cane, and a rope loop is attached to the handle.
Complex of effective preventive exercises
If it is difficult to decide what sport to do, you can, as far as you can, perform a set of exercises specially designed for patients with arthrosis.
Regular physical exercises for arthrosis lead to such positive results as:
- normalization of the processes of feeding of articular cartilage;
- increase in its mobility due to the dosed load;
- strengthening of the surrounding joints of muscles and ligaments;
- marked reduction of pain;
- improved overall health.
Classes can not be started abruptly, it is better to gradually increase the load. For a start, you can practice for 10 minutes and, after making sure that the muscles and joints normally tolerate physical activity, increase the time to 40 minutes.
- Starting position: lying on abdomen with support on elbows bent at 45 °.It is necessary to lift the legs alternately, bending them in the knees so that the pelvis does not come off the floor surface. The exercise must be repeated 10 times.
- The starting position is the same. The essence of the exercise is the same, but now it is necessary to hold the foot in the raised position for 10 minutes, lightly pressing it to the buttocks.
- The starting position is lying on the back, legs are stretched out. We bend the leg in the knee, slightly lifting it above the floor surface. Hold in this position for 5-6 seconds, then lower the leg and repeat the same movements, only the other foot. The exercise is repeated 5 times.
- Lying on the floor on the back, imitate riding a bike. First, the exercise is performed at a slow pace, then the tempo is increased and then reduced again. In other words, the intensity of the exercise periodically change.
- Lying on your back, bend your knees, keeping your feet on the floor surface. Then one of the knees is pulled to the stomach, straighten the leg, slowly lowered to the floor and pulled to the other leg. The feet are at an angle of 90 °.Repeat 5 times with each foot.
- Lying on the back, raise the leg and pull it to the stomach, holding her hands behind her thigh. In the raised position, we stretch the leg and hold it for 5-6 seconds, straining the muscles. Then we lower the foot to the floor surface with the heel and stretch. We perform 5 times each leg.
- In the prone position on the side, hold the leg in the lower position in a semi-bent state, and the leg in the upper position is pulled first to the stomach, and then retracted and held as it will. Exercise is done with each foot 5 times at a slow pace.
- In the supine position on the side, bend the leg, which is in the upper position, and lean our knee against the floor surface. The leg in the upper position is stretched and raised by 30 cm. We repeat each foot 10 times at a slow pace.
The effect of therapeutic gymnastics is even more vivid if training is conducted in the pool. In addition to alleviating the suffering caused by arthrosis, it is easy to get rid of excess weight in the water due to hydromassage.
In the pool, you can actively move your legs, removing the load from the knee, crouch, and the probability of injury is minimized.
Skiing as prevention of exacerbations
It is recommended to ski on arthrosis, because with this kind of physical activity, there is less stress on the joints of the knees, pelvis and hips. During normal walking, such a load is much more intense, and in the process of sliding decreases. A man moves less, so the effect of his weight is reduced. In winter, with a sufficient level of physical fitness, it is good to alternate walking and skiing.
Naturally, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules, so as not to injure the affected joints again without sports. You can go skiing only in good weather conditions. The ski track must be prepared. It is necessary to go along the classic course, when using the skate course, when the leg slides a little forward and sideways, the joint can be damaged. Do not dangerously maneuver, sharply accelerate the pace, roll down from steep descents. Doctors advise to adhere to a comfortable pace, starting with a half-hour walk, and gradually bring the training time to 2 hours.
Ski lessons will be useful to those who have already been involved in sports, even with arthrosis of 1 st, 2 nd degree. It is more difficult if the person before the illness did not know how to ride. Then, after consulting a doctor, you can ask for help from an instructor who will tell you the least traumatic technique of riding.
In the recommendations you can meet fears not only about possible falls and, consequently, injuries, but also hypothermia. This is worth paying attention, so as not to expose the body to additional risks.
It is necessary to engage in cross-country skiing, avoiding skiing, which is not only traumatic, but also in terms of load on the hips and knees is a threat. This applies to athletes who have sufficient experience in mountain skiing.
Eliminate the pain with the help of bicycles
Drive on the bike somewhere along the green avenue, to breathe fresh air is always pleasant. But with deforming arthrosis( coxarthrosis), according to many patients, it is also useful. Some people call cycling in the warm season and on an exercise bike - in a cold, real salvation.
The beneficial effects of bicycle training are due to the fact that when working with pedals, the movements are smooth and progressive. As a result, the joint is not subject to heavy load or trauma. In this case, all the muscles work in parallel, which leads to an improvement in blood circulation, increased nutrition of the joint, and an increase in its mobility.
Training on a bicycle is an excellent preventive measure if the symptoms of beginning arthrosis can be seen only in the picture. Coxarthrosis of the knee joint develops because the amount of synovial fluid decreases, and the cartilage begins to touch. If there are no pain sensations and the objective signs of the disease are difficult to identify, then the x-ray allows you to see the roughness of the joint surface, which indicates the development of deformation.
It is necessary to ride a bicycle with arthrosis carefully, avoiding uneven surfaces and shaking, leading to microtrauma. You can not make sharp pushing movements on the pedals, which adversely affects the condition of the affected joint.
At first, ride better for 15 minutes, and then gradually increase the training time to 40 minutes. With a pronounced pain syndrome, one should not be engaged.
Technique of recreational exercises on the bicycle simulator
The proposed technique can be used by untrained people on condition of moderate training on a stationary bike with a gradual increase in the time of classes.
The first time training does not exceed 10 minutes, with 1 minute of cycling alternating with a minute of rest. It is enough 5 repetitions under the condition of insignificant efforts, similar to those used when driving on a flat road. It is necessary to breathe with your nose, completely closing your mouth.
After 1-2 weeks, you can pedal for 10 minutes, but with small breaks for rest. Gradually every week the training time should increase by 4 minutes, as a result of which in 5-6 weeks you can go to half an hour of continuous work on the bike.
Another important condition: first we train 10 minutes 2 times a day. When the training time reaches 20 minutes, you can practice every day 1 time, and with half an hour of training - 4-5 times a week.
Training should not end with the appearance of a feeling of fatigue, you should feel vivacity and pleasant fatigue. Only in this case it can be argued that the load is distributed correctly and evenly.
The second stage of preventive training is characterized by an intensification of occupations, which is achieved by increasing the number of turns of the pedals. First, the intensity of pedaling reaches 30 revolutions per minute, then - 60. During training, you need to monitor the pulse, the rate of which is calculated by the formula: 180- "age".For example, if you are 60 years old, then the pulse should not exceed 120 beats per minute. At lower values, the intensity of the loads can be increased.
To monitor the effect of training on joints and the body as a whole, it is recommended to keep a diary. With observed abnormalities, impaired well-being, the intensity of exercise should be reduced.
Steam and heat against disease
Thermal effects when visiting a sauna or sauna have a beneficial effect on the whole body, it allows you to get rid of the pain caused by deformation of the hip or knee joint. This activates the blood circulation. In some cases, the procedure allows you to remove muscle spasms that appear on the affected area. Enhanced sweating to a large extent contributes to the regeneration processes, the rapid withdrawal from the body of the products of decay.
Before visiting the steam room, it is not superfluous to consult a doctor. Inflammation of the joints is a contraindication. With arthrosis, inflammation is possible, but after it is removed, it is possible to steam with pleasure.
Osteoarthritis does not like hypothermia, therefore from such part of the event as the icy font, it is necessary to refuse. It is better to replace the cold procedure with a warm or, at least, a cool shower.
Therapeutic effect of kinesitherapy
Professor S. Bubnovsky developed a system that allowed to get rid of leg pain to a large number of patients. It was called kinesitherapy, i.e.motion treatment. The author of the technique insists that arthrosis can not be treated with rest. The sick joint, as well as the mechanism bearing, needs additional lubrication.
Squat, perform bench press on the simulator - these are the main activities that contribute to increased blood flow and lymph flow of muscles, which are attached to the affected joint. It is, first of all, the quadriceps and biceps. And if the first muscle groups are used quite often in the process of running, walking, jumping, getting up, then the rear hip groups are involved little. Stagnation in the hamstrings, which takes a direct part in transportation to the upper body and the joints of lymph, blood, leads to health problems.
In the underdeveloped, short and stiff muscle the vascular network is poorly developed and can not miss the amount of blood necessary for normal vital activity. If the muscles are trained, stretched, you can achieve their elasticity.
The essence of the treatment is that the doctor creates an individual training program, and then the patient under the supervision of the instructor-methodologist performs in a certain sequence the recommended exercises.
The therapeutic effect of hatha yoga
With arthrosis, you can practice hatha yoga, which allows you to get a static load without movements that bring pain.
For the most effect, several exercises are used:
- In the standing position on the back, we lower the legs on the width of the shoulders. Then we exhale the air, bend down and try to reach the fingers. If it works out, you can stretch your whole body without bending your legs. Breath calm, measured. If the body is not physically prepared and the flexibility is not enough to bend low to the floor surface, you can grab your legs below your knee with your hands and stand in that position.
- In a position standing on your knees( if there is no soft mat, use a rug or a small pillow), keep the body in a vertical position, and lower your arms. Slowly sit on the heels and hold in this position for 3 minutes.
- Starting position: we sit on the floor, stretching our legs forward. Lean as low as possible, grabbing your toes and not bending your knees. Slowly and smoothly tighten the body for 2 minutes.
After practicing sports or performing therapeutic exercises, you can perform self-massage. The procedure takes about 15 minutes a day at a frequency of 1 time or 10 minutes - 2-3 times a day. Massage or self-massage should not increase painful sensations, thus it is necessary to influence not only the patient, but also the healthy leg.
In the sitting position, straighten the right leg, and the left one down. The right hand is placed just above the knee of the right leg, the left one is lower. Stroking the knee in opposite directions.
Moving your fingers back and forth, carefully, but carefully rub the lateral surfaces of the knee, while the right foot is massaged with the left hand, and the left leg with the right hand.
Pressing tightly the palms and knobs of the thumbs to the sides of the knee, grind its surface. We make movements along the leg in the front and back directions.
Leaning against the upper part of the knee with the thumbs, we rub the sides of the knee joints in circular motions by pads of the others. After a while, we repeat the procedure, but by moving back and forth. Then straighten the ring, middle and index fingers and press on the muscles and tissues, trying to move them back and forth.
With the pads of the fingers on the right upper part of the knee cup, we perform circular grinding. Then we repeat the same movements for the right-hand side.
Vibration instruments are also used for massage, which is especially effective with increased muscle tone.
We change everyday life - get rid of pain
Purposeful classes, medications help to reduce pain, but the problem can not be got rid of if you hurt your joints everyday. Therefore, you should reconsider your view of the usual things and change the surrounding space, making it safe.
It must be ensured that all the used fixtures, such as rails or door handles, are comfortable. Work on the house must be carried out in such a way as to minimize squats. If this can not be avoided, it is better to attach handrails that will make the process painless and easy.
Do not iron clothes, wash dishes, wash, clean and cut food in a standing position, it is recommended to sit comfortably. The same recommendation applies to work in the garden. A small stool will help to get rid of possible complications.
At the initial stage, when exacerbating the pain, avoid walking on the stairs or go, leaning on the handrails. You can exercise muscles, but it's better to do it in a prone position.
For every thing, you should come up with convenient storage. Surfaces, for example, the kitchen table should be placed so that you do not have to bend. Remove all objects that could lead to injury, such as bent racks, loose wiring.
Followers of fashion trends should abandon high heels. The height of the heel should not exceed 3 cm. In this case, the shoes will not only be comfortable, but also safe.
As an additional specific tool for knee arthrosis knee joints are used. Before buying or sewing, you should listen to the doctor's recommendations. But in general, the comfort knee should not hang on your leg or squeeze it so that there is swelling. Knee pads are worn only when the load is particularly intense, no more than 3 hours a day.
If arthrosis is "supplemented" by flat feet, orthopedic insoles will come to the aid, the model of which depends on the specificity of the disease. Soft supporters are good because they do not rub their feet, and during a pleasant walk, convenience is an important condition.
Therapeutic exercises for knee and hip arthrosis - the main component of the treatment of this disease
The most accessible and at the same time effective cardiovascular exercises for patients with arthrosis of people are:
A brisk walk not only strengthens the muscles of the legs, making a person more mobile and helping to reduce pain in the joints, it also strengthens the heart muscle, which is important for all people over 40 years of age.
Biking is good for the ankle, knee and hip joints. If there is no opportunity to ride an ordinary bike, due to some circumstances, you can twist the "bike" in the air, lying on the floor.
Swimming is useful to everyone and always. In water, the joints work softer, and painless, as in the aqueous environment, the load from the body's gravity is practically nonexistent. However, one should know that for patients with arthrosis, swimming pools are suitable, the water in which is heated.
The lack of navigation is that if a patient has a loss of bone mass, water procedures, unlike the above exercises, do not interfere with this. Therefore -
Only swimming development of arthrosis does not stop the .
Exercises strengthening muscles
Many believe that with arthrosis "swinging" is prohibited - this is a misconception.
Exercises associated with lifting weights strengthen the muscles around the joints, thereby relieving them of stress, which is why they stop getting sick.
Studies show - weight training with burden on the leg with a diseased knee joint significantly strengthens the knee. With this, the pain decreases, and the mobility of the joint increases. In addition, such training reduces the risk of falls, and this often happens with people suffering from arthrosis.
And of course - yoga and tai chi, are the most sparing kinds of exercise therapy, which nevertheless perfectly strengthen the muscles.
Exercises to increase joint flexibility
There are a number of specific exercises designed to increase the flexibility and range of motion in the knee and hip joints. They can be performed both in the pool and on the mat spread on the floor. Do everything without tension, neatly, slowly. You can start with 2 times a week, gradually bringing the frequency of training to daily. Repetition of each movement at first can be 2 times, but ideally - 8 times.
So, by the end of the first month of training, the following set of exercises should be performed daily, and each movement of the complex - 8 times from one and 8 times from the other leg.
Complex of exercises for osteoarthritis of knee and hip joints
- Become one leg while holding on to the edge of the pool or behind the wall. The other leg is swinging from side to side, gradually increasing the range of motion.
- In the same position, the foot is swinging back and forth.
- To go down on one knee( as they do when they ask for hands and hearts).The back is straight, the shoulders are straight. The knee on the floor should be at the level of the toes of the bent leg.
- Get on a chair. One leg to hold in a bent position, and the second to straighten and raise slowly. Ideally, the raised leg is at the same level as the chair, or even above it.
- Lie on the mat, face down. Gently stretch the heel to the buttocks, while the thigh should not tear off the floor.
This exercise can be performed with resistance, but you need to do this on the simulator. Some "smart" tie dumbbells to the ankle, trying to simulate the simulator so. Doing this is strictly prohibited, since the weight attached to the leg is not able to evenly distribute the load on the leg, which will lead not to cure, but to exacerbation of arthrosis. If there is no special simulator nearby, then it is better, to perform this exercise, to perform normally, without burdening.
Site about swimming: Swimming for the treatment and prevention of joint diseases( osteochondrosis, arthritis, arthrosis)Swimming has a multifaceted impact on the human body, the benefits of swimming for health are enormous. The article will deal with the therapeutic and preventive effects of swimming in such diseases of the musculoskeletal system as arthrosis, arthritis and osteochondrosis.
Joint diseases are a vast nosological group, the most common of which are: rheumatoid arthritis, gouty arthritis, osteochondrosis, deforming osteoarthritis, post-traumatic arthrosis and arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a polyetiological disease with a predominance of immune inflammation of the joint synovial membranes and articular cartilage itself, the cause of the occurrence is not established. Gouty arthritis is caused by a disturbance in the metabolism of uric acid, the crystals of which are deposited in the joints and cause their inflammation. Osteochondrosis affects the most often intervertebral disks, it is caused by a sedentary lifestyle, the habit of taking the wrong nonsymmetric poses, increases the likelihood of the disease occurrence adherence to soft pillows and mattresses, obesity, malnutrition. Osteoarthritis( arthrosis, osteoarthritis) arises from the effects of mechanical( trauma), genetic( dysplasia) and biological( metabolic disorders) factors that disrupt the formation of cells of articular cartilage and subchondral bone, the disease affects all joint tissues. Post-traumatic arthritis is caused by the rapid mechanical erosion of articular cartilage due to a decrease in its resistance.
All joint diseases are characterized by a limitation of the functional activity of the affected joints, joint pain, swelling, joint defogging.
Swimming has a wide impact on the musculoskeletal apparatus, it is the most effective method of treatment and prevention of joint diseases. Any other types of exercise are either less effective, or completely contraindicated. This, in particular, concerns running and running sports. During swimming, the joints do not experience static loads and pulse mechanical impacts. Swimming helps to remove neuromuscular blocks, resulting in a reduced degree of inflammation in the joints and, as a consequence, the severity of the pain syndrome.
Swimming for the treatment and prevention of osteochondrosisOsteochondrosis is a chronic disease, the essence of which is degenerative-dystrophic changes in the spinal column. In most people, the spine consists of thirty-three vertebrae, each of which is interconnected by the intervertebral disc.
The disk consists of a fibrous ring and a gelatinous nucleus. Thanks to these formations, the spine has the ability to bend. In addition, the disks perform the function of depreciation. Degenerative changes in the intervertebral discs eventually lead to rupture of the fibrous ring and displacement of the nucleus. The disease manifests itself with a pronounced pain syndrome, the localization of which depends on the level of the spine. The greatest static loads are experienced by the lumbar spine, so osteochondrosis with all its neurological manifestations is most pronounced in this department. Many experts consider osteochondrosis as a manifestation of the natural aging process of the spine. This is confirmed by the fact that osteochondrosis after forty years of age occurs in eighty percent of respondents. At fifty years old it occurs in a hundred percent of the population.
The complex of measures for the treatment of osteochondrosis necessarily includes physical exercises. Especially useful is swimming. During swimming, the body is in a weightless state, and there are no static, gravitational loads on the intervertebral discs. The physical load is evenly distributed among all muscle groups. Therefore, the relaxation of spasmodic muscles occurs, there is a decrease in pain, improvement of blood circulation in the affected parts of the spine. In parallel, the cervical muscular skeleton is strengthened, which takes up part of the load, thereby unloading the intervertebral discs.
Swimming for the treatment and prevention of arthritisArthritis is an acute inflammation of one or more joints. Arthritis can be infectious, post-traumatic, metabolic. Infectious arthritis occurs due to the penetration of bacteria into the joint cavity. Post-traumatic diseases develop after the injury of the joint area. Exchange arthritis is caused by a violation of biochemical processes in the body.
The main symptoms of arthritis are pain in the joint, restriction of movements, swelling of the joint area.
Swimming is the only type of physical activity that is allowed in the acute phase of arthritis. Water cools the joint area, this in itself facilitates the patient's condition. Smooth movements in the water massage the periarticular tissues, thereby improving the outflow of lymph, reducing swelling. Positive effect of swimming and on metabolic processes in the body, due to which the root cause of the joint syndrome disappears.
Swimming for the treatment and prevention of arthrosisArthrosis is called degenerative-dystrophic changes that occur in the cartilaginous tissue of the joint and lead to its destruction. At the initial stages of arthrosis, only cartilage is involved in the process. If the process progresses, the destructive manifestations shift to the bone marrow. Osteoarthritis most often sick people with obesity. Excess body weight creates a prohibitive load on the joints, resulting in rapid wear. The processes of regeneration do not keep up with the processes of destruction.
It turns out a vicious circle, on the one hand, people with obesity are ill with arthrosis, on the other hand, it is difficult to move with arthrosis, and in turn, hypodynamia promotes weight gain. Most often, arthrosis affects the joints, which are experiencing great functional loads, this is the hip and knee joints. The main symptom is pain when walking. Especially typical is the starting pain, that is, it is difficult for the patient to take the first steps.
Swimming is an effective means of prevention and treatment of arthrosis. It harmonizes metabolic processes in the body and is an effective tool for normalizing weight. Swimming breaks the vicious circle, which was mentioned earlier. During aerobic exercises, the joints do not experience great physical and mechanical stress. All this in a complex stimulates the regeneration of cartilaginous tissue.
Conclusion: swimming, being the most physical kind of physical activity for joints and thanks to the unique effect of the aquatic environment, is the best means of preventing joint diseases, as well as a means of complex therapy in their treatment. The specific recommendations of the physician and the physiotherapist will help you choose the optimal load, taking into account the specifics and extent of the disease, general health and age.
Therapeutic gymnastics for arthrosis benefits if it is dealt with regularly. In this case, the functions of the knee joint are quickly restored even with a disease of the 2nd degree. Without a trace, the disease will not pass, but it will not progress. The patient will not only avoid surgery or disability, but will also fully return to the habitual life rhythm.
Performing exercise therapy for arthrosis of 2 degrees( gonarthrosis), you must adhere to the rules that make your exercise therapy a pleasant, effective, safe procedure:
- Balance between intensive joint loads and resting time. To regenerate the cartilage was successful, you need to give rest to the knee every 5-6 hours.
- Effective gymnastics will be, if you do exercises 30-40 minutes a day, but not in a row, and dividing the time into periods of 10 minutes.
- Move at the beginning of the exercises slowly, gradually increasing the amplitude.
- Exercise from 3 times a day for 4-6 repetitions for each exercise.
- Performing exercise therapy for arthrosis of 2 degrees, do not allow strong pressure on the knee joint, do not ignore the pain, do soft movements.
- After completing the 10-minute gymnastics for the knee joints, relax, stretch your legs, lie on your back for a couple of minutes.
Complex of exercises for knee arthrosis 2 degrees
LFK prevents the development of complications of arthrosis of the knee joint and helps to restore joint activity, preventing further deformation of bones. The curative gymnastics program includes a whole range of activities. These are gymnastic tasks that are solved in different positions of the body, training on special simulators and in water, rehabilitation courses.
For arthrosis of the knee joint, an exercise bike, hatha yoga, pilates, micro-motion exercises are useful. Only loads should be minimal, under the supervision of an experienced instructor. Develop degenerating knee muscles easily with the help of steppers, which are installed in orthopedic centers. The principle of their work is an imitation of walking, in which, if necessary, additional load is applied.
Lying on the back
- Pull your legs out, bend the right knee, raise the right foot, hold your foot for 5-7 seconds, lower to the starting position. Repeat with the same left foot.
- Bend one leg in the knee, pull it to the stomach as much as possible, hold it for 5-7 seconds, and then lower first to the floor of the foot, and then - to the knee( sliding movements).Repeat the same movements with the other foot.
- In the case of arthrosis of the 2nd degree, movements with the legs are very effective, imitating cycling with the alternation of the active phase with a rest period of several seconds.
- To relax the knee joint, bend both legs, trying to touch the buttocks with your heels. Fix for a short time in this position, then take the original pose, relax.
- Straighten both legs, lift upwards by 15 degrees, make movements simulating scissors, when the legs alternately rise up and fall down.
On the abdomen of
- Raise one leg straight from the floor 30 degrees to the knee joint, hold it for a few seconds, making sure that the gluteal muscles are clamped. The leg muscles are as tight as possible, the body is pressed to the floor. Try to breathe evenly. Slowly lower the leg, then do the same with the second leg.
- Exercise # 1 perform at a fast pace, holding your foot 1-2 sec. This will allow for grade 2 arthrosis to improve blood circulation in the diseased knee joint.
- Raise your arms and legs above the floor. Hold them for 30 seconds, and then very slowly return to the starting position. To strengthen the muscles of the knee joint, complicate the task. Slowly move and push apart your arms and legs.
- Bend one leg at right angles, lift above the floor and fix for 30 seconds. The back should not sag, and the stomach tightly pressed to the floor. Slowly lower your leg, rest and do the same with your second leg.
- Do Exercise 4 at a fast pace, but the movements should be smooth, and breaks between repetitions - at least 2 seconds.
- Grasp the back of the chair, climb on the toes, stand for 1 minute. After several repetitions and rest again, perform the exercise in a more dynamic version. Knee joints should be strained and kept even.
- Standing near the back of the chair, lean on the heels, fix for 1 minute. Repeat the exercise in a more dynamic version.
- Perform smooth transitions from the toe to the heel, standing near the back of the chair. With arthrosis of the 2nd degree, this exercise activates blood circulation in the knee joint.
- Grasp the back of the chair with both hands. Take aside the straight legs in turn. Movements should be as slow as possible so that the muscles of the knee joint are strengthened.
- Turn sideways to the back of the chair, grasp it with one hand. Perform alternately swings back and forth with even feet.
Sitting on a chair
- Perform exercise therapy, sitting on a chair with a straight back. Put your hands on your knees and lock yourself. Stretch and relax the muscles of the thigh, and the knee joints must remain immobile.
- The initial position is the same. Hold your hands by the seat of the chair. Raise your straightened legs, spread them in different directions, then bring them back together and lower them to the initial position.
- In the sitting position, straighten both legs, try to touch the floor with your hands, without bending the knee joints.
- In turn, bend and unbend the knee joints of each leg, fixing the straightened leg at the top for a few seconds.
- In the same position, pull one leg to the stomach first, then the other, bending at the knee joint.
- Place both feet on the floor, then spread them apart to the width of the foot, stand up from the chair, spread out your arms. After 2-3 seconds, return to the initial position.
LFK in water
In the case of arthrosis of the 2nd degree, LFK in water is a complete replacement of therapeutic gymnastics. Using this unique development takes into account the specific effects of the aquatic environment on the human body, because hydrostatic pressure accelerates the flow of blood to the joints, improving metabolism. With arthrosis of the 2nd degree, occupations in the pool are shown to those people who experience pain when doing exercise therapy under normal conditions. Here are a few exercises:
- Slowly walk on the bottom of the pool, bending and flexing the knee joints 3-5 minutes.
- Alternately, bending your legs back, try to touch your buttocks with your heels.
- Slowly passing the pool, do partial squats( up to 30 times), so that the face remains above the surface of the water.
- Swim in any style and use your legs as much as possible.
LFK for arthrosis of the knee should be performed strictly during the remission period. If the patient exacerbates the disease, then from any load on the knee should be discarded. Therapeutic gymnastics with arthrosis of the 2nd degree has also contraindications:
- acute chronic diseases;
- disorder of cerebral and coronary circulation;