What you need to know about using massage for scoliosis of the spine
Scoliosis is the curvature of the spine that causes deformity of the chest.
The cause of the disease is congenital and acquired.
Scoliosis occurs due to abnormal posture, physical activity or inflammatory processes that occur during puberty.
At different stages of its approach to therapy
Depending on the degree of scoliosis, the technique of performing the massage and the concomitant methods of treatment are different.
Therapy in the first stage of
At the initial stage of scoliosis development, a visual change in the spine is practically not fixed. But the prognosis of treatment with timely treatment in the clinic is quite good.
How to make a massage with scoliosis of I degree:
- The course of massage should be held every six months. Therapeutic therapy is aimed at correcting the posture and strengthening of the pectoral and dorsal muscles.
- It is recommended to practice physical exercises and swimming.
- In the future, you need to monitor your posture and not be in one position for a long time.
- Sleeping place, equipped with a cushion and a mattress.
The second stage is difficult, but it is possible
Scoliosis of the 2nd degree is characterized by changes in the spinal column. When examined by a specialist, there is a discrepancy between the rib cage, the shoulder blades and the gluteal folds.
Therapeutic therapy is carried out in a comprehensive manner and is aimed at restoring and preventing the development of the disease. Treatment is the same as for 1 degree of disease. Additionally, vitamin D group therapy can be prescribed.
The possibilities for treatment of stage 3
The third degree of scoliosis is the most difficult in terms of choice of technique for treating the disease.
You can visually determine the curvature. A rib hump is formed. Treatment for the patient is complex.
Ways of solving the problem:
- an individual prescription for wearing an orthopedic corset;
- physiotherapy and massage appointment;
- procedures are carried out, lying on the back, because they have an asymmetric orientation.
In the fourth stage, massage will not help
The patient's body is sharply asymmetric. The main method of struggle is surgical intervention. In the spine, metal plates are mounted, which hold the body in a symmetrical position.
There are several ways to fix the spine:
- fixation with a movable mount( used by children);
- with fixed attachment of pivotal vertebrae.
The rehabilitation period takes up to 1 year and includes wearing a corset, taking exercise therapy and massage.
The effect of therapeutic massage on the health of the body
Therapeutic massage is an active technique that boils down to applying a certain irritation to the patient with the hands of a massage therapist or with the help of hardware therapy.
Massage has a wellness and preventive effect for the human body:
- improves blood circulation and activates blood flow in capillaries;
- normalizes sleep, helps to cope with insomnia, stress and bad mood;
- relaxes and soothes;
- increases the elasticity of muscle fibers.
Massage normalizes blood circulation, relaxes muscles, increases mobility and elasticity of joints.
Therapeutic massage of the spine strengthens the back corset and has a relaxing effect.
Theory of massage for scoliosis
There are two theories for controlling back scoliosis with massage:
- Theory No. 1 states that the purpose of massage therapy is to achieve relaxation in tense muscles and toning the weakened ones. The theory was called the bow string. The muscles of the back are stretched to the concave side, so that the opposite do not strain.
- Theory No. 2 says - the strained muscular side is considered strained. However, do not neglect and divide the muscles into strained and weakened ones. Muscles of the back may be in a different state and be strained in the convex zone.
When will the massage be harmful?
Treatment with massage is contraindicated in people with a diagnosis:
- pronounced neuralgic disorders.
- renal and hepatic insufficiency.
- oncological diseases.
- cardiovascular disease.
- allergic diseases.
- exacerbated chronic diseases.
- purulent processes in the body.
- tuberculosis in an open form.
- skin diseases, etc.
General rules and tips
Massage movements in the curvature of the spine are carried out in the direction from the lower extremities to the cervical spine. With any type of scoliosis, a certain technique is used, directed at the diseased portion of the back.
Everything starts with stroking. Particular attention is paid to the intercostal muscles, which are kneaded with rectilinear movements.
Circular movements relax wide and long muscles. In the lumbar region, a squeezing technique is used, stretching thearea of the sacrum.
Begin with a concave side gradually shifting to a convex one. Towards the end of the massage, they pass to the convex part of the back. The therapy ends with a complex massage of the neck and legs.
With scoliosis of 2 and 3 degrees, special attention should be paid to massage of pectoral muscles, abdominal muscles and legs.
This will help prolong the consolidation of the result. To correct deformations, a long massage is performed. In the end result, the muscles quickly come to tone.
The main types of modern massage
In the scoliosis of the spine, the following types of massage are used:
- The canned is a treatment procedure and direct exposure to the diseased organ by vacuum. You can perform back massage at home without special skills and abilities. First of all, the lumbar zone is heated, then, with the help of a baby cream or oil, the area under the cans is lubricated. In banks, the air is burned, due to which a vacuum is created. The jars are placed on the patient along the spine.
- Spot requires certain skills and knowledge. Pressing with your fingertips on the points of the large vertebra helps the regain lost strength.
- Manual includes a complex of effects on problem areas of the body. Consistently use the technique of stretching, vibration and stroking.
- When carrying out Thai patient massage is laid on the floor, hands are led behind the back. The masseur sits down next to him and makes pushing movements in the back area, moving towards the waist. At the end of the massage, stretching the arms and pressing movements on the sides of the body.
- With , the differentiated massage is relaxed, toned and stretched by the muscles of the back, abdomen, chest and limbs.
Curvature of lumbarTherapy against lumbar scoliosis begins with stroking. Then the masseur in a circular motion affects the long back muscles.
The lumbar region is kneaded by the finger pad in a rectilinear direction. Massage ends with a light pat on the back.
In the lumbar curvature, it is recommended to perform a set of exercises:
- In standing position, the elbows are directed to the sides, hands are in front of the shoulders. We perform circular movements of elbows forward and backward.
- We raise our hands upwards and reach for the ceiling, we do not tear off our heels from the floor.
- The back rest against the door leaf so that the neck and heels feel the door. We stand 20 seconds, relax.
- Kick the bike exercise. Lie down on your back, twist the pedals in the air.
Video training for massage with scoliosis with detailed instruction:
Therapeutic complex for breast
In chest scoliosis, the deformed shoulder is pulled out so that it can take a symmetrical shape to the opposite shoulder.
The therapist acts on the pectoral muscles. Intercostal spaces are gently massaged with rectilinear, then circular motions.
Exercises for scoliosis of the breast aimed at reducing the curvature of the spinal column:
- We lay on our backs, put our hands on the back of the neck, stretch our elbows outwards, inhale, and then return them back with exhalation.
- We lay down on the stomach. Raise the trunk and bend in the chest. We inhale, drop and exhale.
- We get on all fours. We stretch simultaneously the right arm and the left leg, we breathe in. We change the arm and leg, we exhale.
Exercises to strengthen the paravertebral muscle.
- slopes forward, backward and downward;
- squats with bent knees, legs do not come off the floor;
- extend arms along the trunk, lying on the back, raise your hands up, after a few seconds, lower down;
- lying on your back, put your hands on the back of your head, spread it apart and return it to its original position.
Massage for cervical scoliosis
Massage therapy starts from the healthy side of the neck, gradually switching to the problem part.
Points are being worked out, from which the occipital nerves come out, because they are subject to negative effects.
On video neck massage:
Expected effect of massage:
- dulls pain in the back;
- corrects the curvature of the spine;
- strengthens the muscular corset;
- accelerates metabolic processes and circulation;
- eliminates curvature in the spine;
- relieves chronic pain.
Recommendations for the elimination of cervical scoliosis:
- physiotherapy, gymnastics, swimming.
- hardening of the body.
- massage to strengthen the muscles of the back;
- the mattress should be rigid, a dream only on a back.
- recommends wearing orthopedic corsets.
- food is rich in phosphorus, calcium and proteins.
How to help a child
The technique of performing a massage in scoliosis in children involves the following actions:
- The child falls on the stomach of the .On the part of the thoracic department, the doctor performs stroking, gradually shifting to vibratory actions in the chest and lower back.
- The child lies on the side .The masseur conducts a technique that allows you to pull the iliac crest on the right.
- The child rolls onto the belly of the .The lumbar region is massaged, the subscapular zone relaxes and stretches.
- The child lies on the back of the .The chest surface is massaged. The therapy ends with a stroking of the back and shoulder area.
Features of a child's massage:
- is contraindicated to carry out therapy after a meal, it is better to wait 40-50 minutes;
- hands should be clean, oiled for massage or baby cream;
- movement - smooth and slow, without pressure.
For help, it's best to contact professionals!
Taking into account the importance of the disease and the consequences for solving the problem, it is better not to experiment with the massage at home.
Given the fact that you yourself can not explore the spine. Treatment and preventive examination and massage in the clinic will allow you to accurately diagnose, determine the extent and depth of your problem.
Massage should be done by an expert with a good knowledge of anatomy. The doctor will make an individual treatment plan and maximally examine your musculoskeletal system.
In order for the massage to be beneficial, and not to harm, one should seriously approach the solution of this issue and seek the help of specialists.
What types of massage can be recommended for the treatment of scoliosis?
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis
It is established that a qualitatively carried out back massage with scoliosis will help not only stop and prevent the further development of the pathological process, but also finally eliminate the disease itself. In this case, the following techniques are used:
- Therapeutic massage , which aims to remove the pathological curvature of the spine of a sick person.
- Prophylactic , this technique stabilizes the disease. In turn, this type of massage is divided into:
- reflex, which stimulates the functioning of the circulatory system to prevent muscular dystrophy;
- segmental, which is an impact on the active points of the patient's body, through which indirect stimulation of the internal organs proceeds.
As one of the constituent parts of the complex medical process, massage with spinal scoliosis affects:
- nervous system, while not only stimulating nerve endings, but also calming, as the patient, in connection with the disease, is in an overexcited state;
- improves the performance of the musculoskeletal system, enhances its blood supply;
- corrects the activity of the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which in turn leads to an acceleration of metabolic processes;
- integuments improve their appearance, remove dead cells, stimulate the work of sweat and sebaceous glands.
Requirements for the procedure
Massage for scoliosis in children
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis in children and adults is conducted every half a year. Assign at least 20 visits to the masseur. The treatment time gradually increases from 20 minutes and up to an hour to the middle of the course treatment.
Before the procedure begins, the patient is laid on a massage table. Man should be comfortable. Muscles should be relaxed. The spinal column is as far as possible aligned to the anatomical norm. The position of the body in time of the entire medical process does not change.
There are many methodical recommendations and videos on the technique of the massage. However, it is necessary to know that the session begins with the warming up of those parts of the body that will be massaged. Then, the therapeutic effect itself is carried out directly. It includes rubbing and kneading movements, vibration of various kinds, stretching and shearing. The procedure ends with soothing techniques( stroking and kneading).
Massage in the initial degree of the disease
Massage for scoliosis 1 degree
If a massage is prescribed for scoliosis of 1 degree, then it is necessary to take into account from which side the deformity of the spine is indicated. The therapeutic effect on the muscles that are in the tone, is directed to their relaxation, and from the opposite side of the body - to stimulation. The patient should not have any pain.
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis of 2 degrees is usually not appointed immediately, but 2-3 months after the beginning of exercise therapy. During this time, the muscular corset will be most prepared for a massage course of treatment. The procedure is similar to the one used at grade 1.
Purpose of massage for more severe curvature of the spinal column
At 3 degrees of the disease, massage is prescribed with great care. This is due to the fact that in addition to more serious destructive changes on the part of the bones of the spine and thorax, disorders of the internal organs occur, which serves as a contraindication.
However, massage plays a big role in recovery after surgical treatment, which is often the main method of therapy at this stage of the disease. He is appointed in the postoperative period at both 3 and 4 degrees of the pathological process. In this case, massage will help strengthen the muscles and stabilize the general condition of the patient.
What are your options for treating a first degree scoliosis?
Scoliosis refers to the lateral curvature of the spine( compared to the normal position).This is one of the most common vertebral diseases. Do not put a sign between scoliosis and violation of posture. Since in the first case the vertebrae are not deformed, and the cause may be a muscle imbalance caused by uneven loads. At a scoliosis the backbone not simply is bent, but also is developed round own axis. With it, the thorax can deform and the position of the scapulas change. The disease can quickly progress and has only 4 stages. With the diagnosis of scoliosis 1 degree, treatment is most effective, since the body has not yet undergone global pathological changes.
How to treat scoliosis in the initial stage?
Of the four degrees of scoliosis, the first is the easiest, characterizing the onset of the disease. The scoliosis of the first degree is treated the easier, the less curvature. At this stage, if you do not start treatment, it will not take much time and energy. To find the right treatment the doctor should find out the causes of the disease. Scoliosis of the spine of the 1st degree should be started to be treated with the elimination of the cause of the disease. It is also important to take into account the age and physical condition of the patient. At this stage, a huge role is played by preventive measures, which not only eliminate curvature, but also positively affect the body as a whole. The medical measures are aimed at strengthening the muscular corset supporting the vertebral column. For this purpose, swimming, physiotherapy, massage and gymnastics are good for scoliosis of the 1st degree. It is important to remember that when treating such a scoliosis, not all sports will have a therapeutic effect. For example, do not play tennis, bowling or badminton, as well as engage in such sports, where the load on the spine is uneven. It is best to pay attention to martial arts and swimming.
Massage for scoliosis of 1 degree
The great benefit of massage sessions is that stretched muscles relax, and relaxed muscles are stimulated. The session of therapeutic massage should be conducted by an experienced specialist, otherwise, as a result of inept massage, the patient's condition may worsen. Massage for scoliosis of the 1st degree is necessary to take courses, at least once a year. During the massage sessions, blood flows to the muscles of the back, which significantly improves the metabolism in the area of curvature. The muscle tone improves, which has a beneficial effect on the formation of a strong corset that can support the spine well.
Exercises for scoliosis 1 degree
It is best to carry out treatment in a complex, then the effect will be visible after a minimum time. To strengthen the muscles of the back, it is good to practice special therapeutic gymnastics. For the therapeutic effect and, more importantly, in order not to aggravate the course of the disease, it is necessary to select exercises together with the doctor. A widespread left-sided scoliosis of the 1st degree is also well treated with the help of physical exercises. The load when practicing physiotherapy exercises should grow gradually with the strengthening of muscles. You can not immediately overload the muscles, this can negate the positive effect of other types of treatment. Exercises for scoliosis 1 degree may be as follows: - stretching with linked hands from standing position;- lifting one hand, when the second one is retracted at the same time;- slopes in different directions;- inclines with simultaneous lagging of the leg and lifting of the hand;- deflection of the back from the position of lying and / or with a stick;- simultaneous lifting of the opposite arms and legs from a standing position on all fours. Exercise at a scoliosis of 1 degree with correct performance will help not only get rid of the disease, but also strengthen the body, making it more resistant to various diseases.
What other methods of scoliosis treatment are effective?
With scoliosis of 1 degree, treatment should include not only gymnastics and massage, but also other methods. For example, physiotherapy, which is appointed as an auxiliary, enhancing the effect of gymnastics. Physiotherapeutic treatment can be performed using various methods: muscle electrostimulation, various thermal procedures, electrophoresis, and some others. During treatment, it is advisable to regularly consult an orthopedic doctor to monitor changes in the patient's condition and, if necessary, make adjustments to the course of therapy. Thus, you can choose the best treatment.
Scoliosis( from the Latin skoliosis - curve) is a lateral curvature of the spinal column. This disease is congenital and acquired.
Congenital - is only 5% of all cases, the remaining 95% is a scoliosis acquired. Congenital scoliosis develops as a result of abnormal intrauterine development of the fetus( this may be an excess amount of vertebrae or ribs, fusion of transverse processes and their anomaly).
Acquired - develops as a result of incorrect posture, the habit of sitting or standing in the wrong posture. The disease most often progresses during a period of increased growth, i.e.in childhood or adolescence. Scoliosis massage is successfully used for treatment, but it is used in combination with other procedures: exercise therapy, physiotherapy, corsetotherapy, swimming, etc.
There are several classifications of this pathology. Scoliosis can be:
- by birth( congenital or acquired);
- in form, i.e.by the number of arcs of curvature( one, two or three, respectively, C-shaped, S-shaped or Z-shaped);
- at the site of localization( cervicothoracic, thoracic, chest-lumbar, lumbar and lumbosacral);
- for static function( balanced or unbalanced);
- for X-ray classification or angle of deviation in degrees( 1st degree - angle to 10, 2nd degree - 11-25, 3rd degree - 26-50, 4th degree - more than 50);
- in the course of clinical manifestations( progressive or non-progressive).
Massage action for scoliosis
Massage for pain in the back and scoliosis is aimed at relaxing the muscles that are in tension and toning the weakened ones. With the help of massage, the blood supply and movement of the lymph on the body improves, thereby improving the nutrition of the muscular tissue and ligamentous apparatus, as a result the movement of the synovial( joint) fluid becomes more active, the ligaments become more elastic. In addition, a back massage with scoliosis stimulates metabolism. Massage in combination with a special set of exercises aimed at strengthening and restoring the muscular corset, has a very beneficial effect in the treatment.
The main causes of child scoliosis can be:
- wearing a school bag on one shoulder;
- cerebral palsy( cerebral palsy);
- different length of legs, for development of the disease enough even a 0.5 cm difference;
- muscular atrophy;
- tumor processes.
Massage in scoliosis in children gives the best results, especially if the disease was caught at the initial stage. Therefore, parents should follow the bearing of their children. Furniture in the children's room must be changed in accordance with the growth of the child. Scoliosis in a child is easier to prevent than after it is long and patiently treated. The main thing in time to notice the first signs of this disease, that is, to notice scoliosis of the first degree. These can be complaints of pain in the back or neck, fatigue and reduced performance. This is an excuse to see a doctor with an orthopedic surgeon.
Positive dynamics for recovery is provided by a child's massage with scoliosis. Video with training the basic methods of massage can be found on the World Wide Web, but it is more appropriate to consult a specialist at least at the first stages of treatment. At your request, a competent masseur will tell you what exactly you need to pay attention to.
How to properly massage with children's scoliosis can be found in special courses. Later, parents can massage their child and themselves. The combination of gymnastics to strengthen the back muscles with a child's massage in scoliosis as a result of the child's further growth will allow to correct the already existing curvature with time. Parents of a child who has been diagnosed with scoliosis should be patient.treatment of this disease process is lengthy and not always free. The child can perform the back massage with scoliosis on his own. Video training, how to do it right, can be found on special sites.
Massage in adults
The main causes of this disease in adults are osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia and tumor processes.
The initial stage of scoliosis is treated much easier if the deviation from the norm is only at the very beginning. Massage for scoliosis 1 degree for treatment is mandatory. It is carried out by courses, usually 2 courses a year. But before proceeding to treatment, it is necessary to find out the cause of the disease and eliminate it, otherwise it will progress. Strengthening the muscular framework is given special attention in combination with a massage in scoliosis. Videos of these exercises can be found on the Internet and perform their own at home or attend exercise classes and special groups in health centers.
Scoliosis of the thoracic region, according to statistics, occurs much more often than other localization. The earlier the diagnosis is made and the appropriate treatment is started, the more chances are that the restoration of the physiological posture will be successful. Massage with breast scoliosis allows you to restore blood flow and nutrition in the affected tissues.
It should be noted that the treatment of this disease is a long process, which requires patience and consistency.
Video training for massage in scoliosis:
Medical back massage for scoliosis of 1 st and 2 nd degree in children: treatment is possible
Posture disorders are often found already in childhood. For the first time scoliosis can be diagnosed already at the age of 8-10 years. Especially susceptible to this pathology are adolescents with an accelerated type of skeletal development. At the same time the muscle mass does not have time to develop after growing bones. There is a difference in charge of myocytes and a violation of the conductivity of the electric pulse.
With prolonged course of the disorder, there is excessive relaxation of one group of muscles and compensatory excess tension of the other. In the back area, all muscles should work in concert. This is achieved through regular balanced and evenly distributed physical activity. In her absence, scoliosis can develop.
Scoliosis massage can eliminate excessive voltage potentials and relaxation of individual groups of muscle fibers. However, therapeutic massage in scoliosis is not the preferred method of treatment and can be considered only as an auxiliary tool for a manual therapist. How and for what the back massage is done with scoliosis, how to choose a specialist - is told in this material further.
The most effective massage for scoliosis of the 1 st and 2 nd degree!
According to practical observations, the most effective massage for scoliosis of the 1st degree. If it is possible at an early stage to notice and diagnose a violation of posture, then success in eliminating this defect is almost 100%.
In our clinic of manual therapy there are numerous author's methods, which include exercise therapy, osteopathic action and, of course, massage with scoliosis of the 1st and 2nd degree.
Therapy begins with the definition of the cause, which led to a violation of posture and curvature of the spinal column. Then the manual therapist develops an individual program of posture correction. Massage with scoliosis of the 2nd degree is appointed solely as an additional method of relaxing certain muscle groups, which is important in preparing for exercise and therapeutic osteopathic effects. This is due to the fact that the muscles of the back with excessive stress adversely affect the arc of curvature and do not allow to restore the physiological position of the vertebrae. They keep them in the wrong position as in the corset, exacerbating the situation every day.
After practicing exercise therapy, the task of the masseuse may include strengthening those muscle groups that are excessively relaxed. If they are sufficiently strengthened, correction of the curvature of the spinal column occurs naturally without wearing a special corset.
The effectiveness of massage with scoliosis of the 1st degree can be achieved only with the regular conduct of courses, which are prescribed by the manual therapist. The number of sessions depends on how much the curvature is labile and lends itself to the recovery process.
Back massage for scoliosis in children and adults
Therapeutic back massage should be performed not only regularly, but also with the involvement of a certified experienced specialist. Few people know that illiterate back massage in scoliosis can lead to rapid progression of pathology. In this case, the fault of the masseur will not be practically provable. Although everything is simple enough. When applied to stressed muscles, an exciting, not a relaxing one, the expert strengthens their influence on the process of curving the spinal column.
The wrong massage for scoliosis in children is especially dangerous, because they can not adequately assess their feelings during and after the procedure. In any case, the child may complain of pain or an unpleasant feeling of stiffness. Therefore, in order to carry out a back massage for scoliosis in children, it is necessary to choose a specialist more carefully. First of all, it is worth paying attention to the experience of working with children. It is also necessary to make sure that in the practice of the masseur there are positive cases of curing the child of scoliosis.
An important point is the regular diagnosis of the result achieved after a session. In our clinic of manual therapy, the work of the masseur is closely related to the control of the manual therapist, who develops an individual technique of exposure. After a session of back massage for scoliosis in an adult and a child, control can be carried out, during which relaxation and tension of certain muscle groups are revealed.
You can listen to your feelings. If after after a massage, excessive tension, discomfort, and pain syndrome are felt, then immediately such a treatment should be abandoned.
Treatment of scoliosis with massage: the main aspects and rules of
In order to successfully treat scoliosis with massage, it is necessary to pre-diagnose all groups of back muscles, which due to excessive potentials of stress and relaxation can cause bending of posture. Identify a hotbed of excess capacity can be an experienced doctor manual therapist. After this, a definite map of the therapeutic effect on the groups of muscles of the back skeleton is formed.
When developing a curative exercise program, a certain type of massage is immediately assigned to treat scoliosis of the back. The essence of the combination of these methods is to timely compensate or strengthen the effect of physical exertion on muscle fibers. For example, during gymnastics or an osteopathic influence on a certain group of muscles, there is an effect in the form of their excitation and increasing the potential of contractility. During the massage, the result can be fixed or slightly weakened if the expert sees that too much effect has occurred.
In our clinic of manual therapy, all specialists work exclusively to obtain positive results in the treatment of various diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Sign up for a free consultation in Moscow:
10% discount on all services, when recording via the Internet before March 15, 2016We will call you back and confirm the time of reception.