How to treat osteoarthritis of the hip joint
Deforming osteoarthritis of the hip joint is a degenerative disease that causes pain and inflammation in one or more joints. Disease can cause disability of the elderly.
Structure of the hip joints
What joints the human basin consists of
The iliac and femur are connected in the hip joint. It looks like a hinge, so a healthy person can produce different movements. The articular cartilage lining the surface of the bones of this joint, so that they can easily slide relative to each other.
For the hip joint to perform its functions, it is surrounded by powerful muscles. They take significant loads, performing the functions of a shock absorber and ensuring the movement of the body. Muscles help pump blood in the circulatory system, providing a full supply of nutrients to the hip joint.
Deforming osteoarthritis of the hip joint causes chronic inflammation in the joint. The body produces insufficiently articular fluid, so the depreciation of the cartilage decreases, the wear of the bones increases. They rub against each other, causing pain, breaking bones.
If adequate treatment is not provided, eventually the cartilage is completely erased, and the hip joint ceases to perform its functions. At the same time, muscle tone is lost, which speeds up the process of deformation of bones.
Causes of development and symptoms of disease
- Retirement age.
- Extra weight, increasing the load on the hip joints. This makes a person less active physically, which aggravates the situation.
Patient and healthy pelvic joint
Genetic heredity. To this disease people are inclined, in which relatives had the same ailment.
- The sex accessory. Women are more likely to become victims of this disease, especially after 50 years.
- Occupation type. Some professions create a greater risk of developing this disease: work in agriculture, construction, retail trade. In the process of fulfilling their professional duties in these areas, people receive increased stresses on joints.
- In young and active people, the disease often develops as a result of a sports injury or as a result of an accident.
Symptoms often manifest slowly and worsen over time.
- Pain during or after movement.
- Stiffness in articulations. Most noticeable is when the patient wakes up in the morning or after a period of inactivity.
- Loss of flexibility in joints.
To clarify the diagnosis, a blood test is performed, its results help to eliminate other ailments. Manifestations of this pathology of a joint of 1 degree by means of roentgenological inspection to reveal it is impossible. On normal X-ray images, cartilaginous tissue is not reflected. This explains the late diagnosis of such diseases. Only at the stage of sufficiently severe destruction of bones it becomes possible to recognize the osteoarthrosis of the hip joint. A clearer picture of the condition of the joint is provided by magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography. These diagnostic tools can detect the early development of the disease.
Nowadays the question of complete cure for this ailment is not worth it. Drugs do not affect the root cause of the disease. But the competent treatment of osteoarthritis can contribute to a significant reduction in pain and the preservation of joint mobility.
Conservative treatment methods
- The first step in treating a disease is to reduce pain. This can be done with a combination of drugs, exercise and physical therapy. Anesthetics will help relieve pain, but will not remove the inflammatory process. In addition, elevated doses of paracetamol can cause damage to the liver. The use of analgesics will lead to increased blood pressure, worsening kidney function, the occurrence of peptic ulcer and cardiovascular diseases.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen and naproxen, can reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Stronger non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs) are available by prescription. NSAIDs give side effects. They can cause indigestion, ringing in the ears, problems with the heart and blood vessels, bleeding, damage to the liver and kidneys.
- Chondroitin and glucosamine have shown their effectiveness in osteoarthritis. They can slow or prevent further damage to the joints.
If conservative therapies do not help, other effective procedures may be offered by the physician.
- Injections of corticosteroids will ease pain in the joint. During this procedure, the doctor makes an injection and injects the medicine into the affected joint. However, the number of such injections is limited throughout the year, since the drugs used can worsen the condition of the damaged joint over time. There are complications in the form of depression, hypertension, hyperglycemia, erectile dysfunction, amenorrhea and candidiasis.
- Injections of hyaluronic acid can relieve pain, enhancing the effect of depreciation in the joint. The drug is similar to the component that is usually found in the joint fluid.
- Surgical operation. During surgical intervention, the surgeon removes the damaged part of the hip joint and replaces it with plastic or metal parts. This operation gives the patient the opportunity to lead a full life. However, such treatment has risks associated with infection and the formation of blood clots. Artificial joints can wear out. Re-replacement of articulations is a more complicated and less successful process.
Sport will help to cope with the disease
Changes in lifestyle and home methods of treatment can help reduce the manifestation of symptoms of pathology. If the patient has osteoarthritis of the hip joints, this does not mean that an active lifestyle is not available to him.
- Gymnastics and achieving a healthy weight are the best and most important ways to treat an ailment. A physiotherapist will help to select an individual exercise program that will strengthen the muscles around the affected joint. This will increase the range of motion and reduce pain. Try walking, cycling or swimming. If you feel an increase in pain in the joints, the activity must be stopped. Pain, which lasts several hours after training, may indicate that you overdid it. But this does not mean that you need to stop your studies as a whole. However, before continuing, you should see a doctor.
- Tai Chi and Yoga. These types of physical activity mean smooth exercises and stretching combined with deep breathing. Such gymnastics can reduce pain in osteoarthritis. These methods are safe, but it is necessary to engage with the instructor. Avoid movements that cause joint pain.
- Swimming and water aerobics are good for osteoarthritis. They can increase flexibility, improve blood circulation and strengthen the muscles, which allows you to maintain the functionality of the joints. In addition, water makes it possible to perform other types of exercise without the additional burden of articulation.
- Occupational therapies can help you perform everyday self-care tasks and do housework without putting additional strain on the affected joint.
- It's good to lose weight. Since overweight increases the load on the bearing joints, even a small weight loss can reduce pressure on diseased bones and reduce pain.
- Use special insoles for shoes can recommend a doctor, as they will help reduce pain when you stand or go unloading a sick joint.
- Use ancillary devices that can make the walking process painless and easy. The cane will relieve the joints and hamstrings when you go.
- Acupuncture. Some studies show that this method of therapy can alleviate the pain and improve the functions of the hip joint. During acupuncture, the thinnest needles are inserted into special acupuncture points on the body. Possible risks are associated with infection, bruising and some pain in the places of needles.
- Use heat and cold to control pain. Heat removes stiffness, and cold can relieve muscle spasms and pain.
- The use of special anesthetic creams helps. Such funds can provide temporary relief of pain in the pathology of the hip joints. Some drugs suppress pain, creating a feeling of warmth or cold.
It is necessary to use all the means that will help relieve the joints and muscles of the thigh. Osteoarthritis can be successfully treated. This will improve the quality of life.
Symptoms and effective treatment of hip osteoarthrosis
Coxarthrosis or hip osteoarthrosis is a disease caused by the damage and destruction of cartilage of articular surfaces. At the moment, this pathology is considered almost incurable( especially at grade 2 or 3).However, practice shows that there are cases when the patient was able to significantly improve his health and keep the joints in good shape for many years. Such stories are usually considered an exception, but why not make a rule out of it? Most often such people with a diagnosis of osteoarthritis started treatment as early as possible( with the appearance of the first symptoms) and put more effort and perseverance to recover than others.
In the photo to the right, the affected joint
Early detection of the disease
The sooner you learn about the disease, the more likely it is to be cured. Diseases of the joints this applies in the first place: in fact, despite the fact that their course can last for many years, every week saved will give a plus in favor of your health. And it is impossible without observation to find out at what exact moment one degree of osteoarthritis will flow into another, more severe.
Therefore, the main task of the patient - to see a doctor as soon as possible, with the appearance of the first symptoms. But often a person simply does not know about the existence of osteoarthritis or does not consider this a serious illness, thinks that "it will pass by itself".This is an erroneous and dangerous delusion.
The risk group includes mainly people from 45 years of age. Unlike many varieties of arthrosis and arthritis, which have already embraced a younger generation, osteoarthrosis of the hip joint( TBS) affects mainly the elderly.
Possible causes of the disease
Osteoarthrosis of TBC can be caused by a rather large number of causes:
- Hereditary predisposition transmitted from generation to generation.
- Joint injuries of various origin( dislocations, sprains, fractures).
- Permanent microtraumatic TBS.
- Long-term disturbances of the general metabolism.
- Pathology of an allergic or autoimmune character, when the immune cells begin to destroy their own articular tissues.
- Excess weight, significantly increasing the load on the joint. Excessive physical activity.
- Various infections.
Despite the abundance of the causes of the disease, it is often impossible to determine exactly why the pathology arose in this particular case. Symptoms of
To set or refine your diagnosis.
Medicine does not cure this disease, but doctors can give you an action plan to maintain health in your current state. In this case, the destruction will significantly slow down or even stop. During this time you can try a lot of alternative therapies in private clinics, recipes of folk medicine, homeopathy and much more.
In extreme cases, when the disease reaches the third degree, doctors put the prosthesis instead of the broken bone. This is a radical method of treatment, not very pleasant, but the pain will leave you for many years.
If the disease is not started, the treatment for osteoarthrosis of the hip joint includes the following:
- Reduces the load on the hip joint. In particular, this applies to people working in the production sector, summer residents and those who hold households.
- Therapeutic physical training. A small load level and the development of a sick joint. The more "sedentary" your way of life, the more time-consuming these activities should be. They can be replaced by swimming, dancing, yoga - but only under the supervision of the instructor and with his advice.
- Professional therapeutic massage.
- Pain medications if needed. They facilitate the general condition and the process of treatment: it can be pills, injections and ointments.
- Preparations for feeding cartilage tissue( chondroprotectors) ways to keep the joint in good condition, due to the fact that they contain collagen and other nutrients. Produced in tablets and capsules, as well as in the form of ointments. Acupuncture, manual therapy.
- Additional medications may be prescribed. This depends on the characteristics of the patient's body condition, the stage of the disease, its symptoms and other factors. The final decision on prescribing medicines is taken by the attending physician.
- An essential component of therapy is a therapeutic diet, which consists in the refusal of an excess of carbohydrates( flour products, sweets, chocolate).In the diet must necessarily be present low-fat varieties of meat and fish, dairy products, fresh vegetables, fruits and greens.
It should be noted that when the fight against the disease began at an early stage, there are many cases when the disease managed to be defeated completely.
But if the osteoarthrosis of the hip joint is already developing, and doctors are only able to slow it down - what then? Few people want to sit and wait for a sad fate, and I would like to not just maintain the current state of the body, and finally recover.
There are alternative ways of treating the disease. They say that some even recovered. If you completely cure and fail, but you can at least improve the condition - this is a huge step forward.
Supporters of apitherapy( bee products treatment) recommend using an integrated approach:
Regularly eat natural quality honey.
Make compresses containing bee venom.
Additional appointments of an apitherapist.
The treatment of salt is not common, but it also gives positive results. It is recommended to make compresses for the night from salt, slightly moistened with water. Regular execution of this procedure has helped in the treatment of many people. However, there may be side effects: in particular, the skin may not take a large amount of salt, then the treatment will have to stop.
In folk medicine are widely used decoctions of medicinal herbs, compresses and rubbers on their basis. The following plants will help you:
- elder and calendula( flowers),
- horsetail( grass),
- willow and buckthorn( bark),
- birch and nettle( leaves),
- juniper( berries).
Each of these can be used individually or mixed. The course of treatment for 3 months provided regularity( that is, 2-3 times a week for compresses and 2-3 times a day for internal use).
Instead of the conclusion
When the osteoarthritis of the hip joint goes to the 2nd degree - the situation becomes more complicated. Recall that in the neglected case, you will be offered to put the prosthesis instead of the damaged bone. You can agree or refuse, but if you decide to be treated by alternative methods, then regularly check if there is any sense from them.
Believe in yourself, in your health, and the disease will recede!
In osteoarthrosis of the hip joint, there is a long, but permanent destruction of the cartilage, which causes the patient symptoms such as frequent discomfort and pain, mainly in the groin. Many patients describe their sensations as "incomprehensible stiffness", as if something prevents them from moving. This is partly due to pain, partly to a deterioration in the joint condition. These symptoms intensify when walking, and also if you sit for a long time.
There is also a doubtful plus in osteoarthrosis - there is not much to confuse with it. Pain in the hip joint can occur due to trauma( bruise, fracture, dislocation), but it is difficult to forget about them. By the way, trauma can be a direct cause of osteoarthritis, but in this case the disease will not manifest immediately. If after some time after a dislocation or fracture( for example, after several months), the damaged places again make themselves felt - this should alert you.
And the statistics meanwhile dictates us merciless facts: the disease suffers from no less than 10% to 16% of the world's population. And with age, this indicator is growing, and among people over 60 years old it reaches 100%!
Therefore, if you have pain in the groin, which:
a) there is no reason,
b) a possible cause is the consequence of the trauma experienced,
that is, there is a high probability that you are sick with osteoarthritis, and this is his first symptoms.
In the long term, in the absence of treatment, there is a possibility of disability due to fracture of the femoral neck or complete destruction of the cartilage.
Regular pain in the groin - a very disturbing symptom
Classical treatments for
Modern traditional medicine today does not have clear ideas about how to cure this disease. You want to ask, why then go to the clinic? The answer is simple:
Hip osteoarthrosis and its treatment
Hip osteoarthritis is a degenerative-dystrophic process that affects this joint.
Recently, the incidence of osteoarthritis has increased several times. This is due to the impact of various causes and factors on the human body.
Symptoms of three degrees of hip arthrosis
Osteoarthritis is a disease characterized by the staged pathological process. It is customary to select the stages based on the clinical and radiological picture. Classification was developed back in 1961, but is popular nowadays, as it is very convenient to use.
The first degree of of hip osteoarthrosis is manifested by the following symptoms:
- discomfort appears in the joint;
- during the movement in the joint there is a crunch;
- during pains in the joint there is pain, which alone passes at rest;
- palpation does not reveal a sense of pain, except in cases when reactive arthritis develops in response to a dystrophic process in the joint;
- decreases motor activity in the joint, but only those movements that have a minimum amplitude. For example, the internal rotation in the hip joint is reduced. Against this background, the patient spares his leg, which leads to a slight atrophy of the muscles involved in these movements;
- appears minor discomfort when a person has not moved a foot in the hip for a long time and starts to do so. However, this condition can not be called the starting pain.
Thus, the symptoms of the first stage are not very specific, but an experienced doctor can see something is amiss and conduct additional research methods. They will help clarify the final diagnosis.
With the help of X-ray examination, one can see the narrowing of the joint gap, as well as the appearance of marginal osteophytes( bone growths).
The second degree of of hip osteoarthritis is manifested by the following symptoms:
- has a starting pain, that is, pain at the beginning of the movement;
- appears characteristic pain irradiation - the pain extends to the inguinal, sciatic region, and can also be given to the knee, that is, along the nerve roots;
- can appear articular mouse, that is, it is a breakaway bone segment that is able to block the joint;
- joint feeling reveals pain both in the joint joint area of the hip joint and in the surrounding muscles and ligaments;
- joint becomes stiff, but the volume of movements remains at a level that is sufficient to service itself;
- joint is characterized by fast fatigue, so a person can not stay on his feet for a long time;
- to ease the condition of many people suffering from deforming osteoarthrosis of the hip joint, it is necessary to use a cane.
Radiologically this stage is confirmed by the fact that it is possible to detect a significant narrowing of the joint gap, the proliferation of a large number of osteophytes and deformation of the articular surface of the bone.
The third degree of has very vivid clinical manifestations, however the diagnosis of the pathological process at this stage is rather late. It manifests itself:
- constant pain;
- crunching in the joint during movements;
- by painful palpation;
- significant restriction of movements in the joint until their permanent loss;The
- person can walk only with the help of a cane or crutch.
X-ray examination reveals almost complete disappearance of the joint space.
Stages of treatment for osteoarthritis
Treatment of osteoporosis of the hip should pursue the following objectives:
- Reduction of pain:
For analgesia, both non-narcotic analgesics( Analgin) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, etc.) can be used for analgesia. They can be used both in the form of rectal suppositories, tablets, ointments, and also in the form of injection forms with the severity of the pain syndrome and inflammatory changes. The duration of treatment is determined by clinical symptoms.
- Combating the inflammatory response:
The above preparations not only alleviates pain, but also reduces the manifestation of inflammatory processes, as they inhibit the production of prostaglandins, which cause certain changes in tissues.
- Improvement of microcirculation in the lesion:
To improve microcirculation, it is recommended to use drugs from the group of antiplatelet agents and anticoagulants. In practice, it looks like this. Appointed Dipiridamol( Kurantil) 25 mg three times a day 2-4 weeks, and locally used Lyoton 2-3 times a day for about two weeks.
- The use of chondroprotectors to improve the structure of the cartilaginous tissue in the affected joint:
Chondroprotectors are the basic drugs for the treatment of osteoarthritis. They allow you to restore cartilaginous tissue, so they must be used at any stage of this pathological process. The most effective scheme is the use of chondroitin sulfate in combination with glucosamine. These are active substances, and pharmacological preparations may have other names. The duration of treatment should be at least 6 months.
Therapeutic gymnastics in the treatment of osteoarthritis
Therapeutic gymnastics with osteoarthrosis of the hip joint can prevent the development of muscle atrophy, which are inactive.
However, it should not be accompanied by heavy loads, which can damage cartilaginous tissue. Examples of such exercises can be:
- circular movements in the hip joint;
- flexion and extension in the hip joint;
- cycling, etc.
Therefore, before you treat osteoarthritis of the hip joint, you need to determine the degree of the disease. Do not forget about physical therapy to prevent atrophy of periarticular muscles.
Hip Osteoarthritis: Treatment, Symptoms, Causes and Diet
Three degrees of coxarthrosis are also distinguished.
The first degree is considered primary, characterized by mild pain, the occurrence of which is associated with excessive physical exertion. After a short rest, discomfort disappears, while walking, there may be slight lameness. On the roentgenogram, no changes are noted.
The second degree, the disease progresses, the pains become more frequent and stronger, when walking, the patient needs a support, so use a cane. A sharp pain on this degree appears during the turns, getting up from the chair or when squatting, this is due to the reflex tension of the muscles around the joint. In diagnosis, thickening and consolidation of the neck of the hip is noted, the joint gap narrows.
Third degree, the pain becomes unbearable, painful, permanent, and increases during movement. The ability to stand on one's feet is absent, a pronounced muscular dystrophy is observed. The radiograph shows significant changes in the joint, bone growth is observed, the gap is narrowed, the neck of the hip is widened.to the table of contents ↑
Osteoarthrosis of the hip joint does not have a single cause for , the disorders are formed over a long period of time and have a number of possible factors that could trigger the onset of the disease. The main reasons include:
- disorders in the blood circulation in the joint;
- overweight, creating an additional burden on the joints;
- infectious, inflammatory processes in the hip cartilage;
- surgery and trauma;
- heredity( genetic predisposition to weakness of the skeleton and features of the structure of the cartilage);
- mechanical factors due to overload and worn joints( heavy physical labor, athletes);
- endocrine pathology;
- sedentary lifestyle( muscle weakness);
Osteoarthrosis of the hip joint has definite signs of its development. Symptoms primarily depend on the degree of osteoarthritis, but one can distinguish the main ones:
- pains of different strength, the more the disease progresses, the more pronounced symptom;
- crunch in the thigh;
- stiffness, especially in the morning, after a long rest;
- muscle atrophy;
- joint deformation, due to which one leg becomes shorter than the second;
Secret danger of osteoarthritis
In addition to pain and permanent discomfort, deforming osteoarthritis of the hip develops, the main symptom of this form is the complete destruction of the cartilage that can not be restored. In this case, a complicated operation is required - endoprosthetics, when the natural cartilage tissue is replaced with an implant. In addition, a serious complication of the pathology is considered a fracture of the neck of the thigh, the process of cartilage restoration is very long and painful, especially for the elderly.
An interesting fact! Osteoarthritis affects about 16% of the inhabitants of our planet, and after 60 years it develops for every second elderly person.
To people who are susceptible to the disease or whose age is more than 45 years, it is important to undergo an annual examination for early detection of the problem. The earlier the pathology is identified, the greater the probability of avoiding surgical intervention.to the table of contents ↑
Important! If you have identified the first symptoms with different uncomfortable sensations, immediately contact a rheumatologist or orthopedist, only a qualified doctor will be able to determine the exact diagnosis and prescribe an adequate treatment.
Diagnosis consists of an anamnesis of pathology, examination of the patient and, of course, radiography. The last study is mandatory and can help in the precise diagnosis. The X-ray image shows a clear picture of what is happening, it reveals the narrowing of the joint gap, the widening of the neck of the thigh, bony growths, etc.
In addition to examination and radiography, laboratory tests, in particular, a blood test, in which there will be a clearly pronounced inflammatory process and increased ESR, may additionally be prescribed. Perhaps the use of ultrasound research.to the table of contents ↑
Treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip joint at an early stage, possibly with the help of conservative therapy. Completely get rid of the disease does not work, but to prevent further destruction of the joint is possible.to the table of contents ↑
For non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs, both locally and inwardly, nonsteroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs are used to alleviate the pain syndrome and reduce the inflammatory process. To this group of funds are:
- Collagen ultra.
If the inflammation is pronounced, injection into the joint cavity with glucocorticosteroid drugs, prescribe this procedure, in extreme cases under the strict supervision of a doctor.
Hip Osteoarthritis - What You Need to Know
People with hip osteoarthrosis have walking problems. At the first stages of the development of the disease, the diagnosis can be difficult. This is due to the fact that the place of occurrence of the pain syndrome can be unpredictable: it can be a sacrum, a hip, buttocks or a knee. Pain syndrome can be acute and intense in some cases, while in others it may have a slight nocele character. Although in both cases the affected joint becomes inactive.
Symptoms of coxarthrosis depends on the stage of the disease, but there are several signs that indicate the possibility of its development:
pain in the thigh, inguinal region, in the joint, arising andat physical exertion, and at rest;feeling of stiffness of movements;
Medications for arthrosis of the hip joint here.
LFK for hip dysplasia http: //sustavprof.ru/lk/ lechenie-displazii-tazobedrennyh-sustavov.html.
Osteoarthritis of the hip joint of the 1st degree is characterized by periodically arising pain sensations, which are mainly manifested after exercise( eg, prolonged walking or running).
The localization of pain is in the area of the affected joint, but sometimes extends to the thigh and knee joint. After rest, the pain syndrome subsides. At the same time, the amplitude of the movements is not limited, the gait pattern does not change, just like the muscle strength.
As a result of an X-ray examination, small bony growths appear that do not go beyond the joint lip. They are located along the outer and inner edges of the articular surface of the swivel cavity. In this case, the neck of the femur and the head practically do not change.
Coxarthrosis of the 2nd degree is diagnosed not only on the basis of the X-ray method( pictures), but also during the movements the patient feels pain. The stage is characterized by a narrowing of the joint gap by 1/3, damage to the synovial cartilage lining the bone, which prevents friction. The pain is formed more likely due to inflammatory edema, than as a result of friction of bone tissue between each other. Osteophytes, which can be formed to 2 degrees - bone growth along the bones and ligamentous apparatus worsen the disease.
Deforming osteoarthrosis of the hip joint or coxarthrosis is a chronic slowly progressing disease, leading to the development of statodynamic disorders of the hip joint. Among all the degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the articular apparatus, coxarthrosis takes the first place, which is primarily due to the enormous loads falling on this anatomical structure.
Deforming osteoarthrosis of the hip joint The pathological process with deforming osteoarthritis of the hip begins with articular cartilage. Initially, the hyaline cartilage is thinned, cracks and roughness appear on it. As the disease progresses, the articular cartilage almost completely disappears, and bone fragments are exposed, which rub against each other during movement. As a result, bone growths begin to form, leading to deformation of the hip joint and disruption of its functions.
Deforming osteoarthrosis of the hip joint may be primary( the cause of the development of the disease is not known) or secondary, arising on the background of congenital dislocation of the hip, hip dysplasia, Perthes disease, aseptic necrosis of the femoral head, joint inflammation( coxitis), traumatic injury.
Deforming osteoarthritis can affect both one and both hip joints. At present, there is no unified theory explaining the mechanism of the development of the disease. Most doctors believe that the main cause of deforming osteoarthritis of the hip joint is a violation in it of the processes of blood supply, expressed in insufficiency, both arterial blood flow and its venous outflow. Disturbance of the blood supply to the hip joint leads to the development of hypoxia of articular tissues and the accumulation of under-oxidized metabolic products in them, which in turn activate certain enzymes that destroy hyaline cartilage.
The main symptom of caxosarthrosis is pain, which can have varying intensity, duration, character and localization, depending on the stage of the disease.
Treatment of osteoarthrosis of the hip joint does not differ radically from the treatment of other articular cartilage diseases. First of all, it is necessary that the hip joint be at rest, because it is the load in most cases that leads to osteoarthritis. Pharmacotherapy is prescribed: analgesics, non-steroidal and steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, injections of medications into the joint cavity( blockade).For effective treatment of osteoarthritis, the supplements "Collagen Ultra" are ideal. The collagen included in its composition strengthens the articular tissue and allows maintaining the necessary level of this vital protein in the body. Active physiotherapy is shown in combination with curative gymnastics. In the most neglected cases, surgical intervention can not be avoided.
The main goal in the treatment of osteoarthritis is to slow down the process of destruction of articular cartilage, the drugs-chondroprotectors-contribute to the goal. A certain positive effect has hormonotherapy, but in this treatment there are a lot of side effects. Is it possible to heal osteoarthritis of the hip joint?
Today there is an opinion that curing osteoarthritis completely - almost impossible task. Doctors note that with deforming osteoarthritis irreversible changes occur in the joint and surrounding tissues. If the disease is diagnosed at the initial stage, which is extremely rare, in principle, you can still give a "reverse" of the disease. But in neglected cases, it is possible only to temporarily slow the progression of the disease and the destruction of cartilage. In view of this, doctors are strongly advised to immediately turn to a medical institution when the first symptoms appear( crunch in the joint, minor pain, swelling).Moreover, the more precise the doctor will establish the diagnosis, the more effective the treatment will be. Correctly establish the diagnosis will help a thorough examination of the patient, during which it is necessary to ask the patient some questions that can clarify the clinical picture, after which it is necessary to do an x-ray.
Many people think that when osteoarthritis doctors do not recommend doing gymnastics, because the disease limits the mobility of joints. But this is not so. Doctors on the contrary advise to undergo a course of physiotherapy exercises that help to strengthen the muscles around the joints.
. Not infrequently after the exercises, pain and discomfort appear, usually the pain stops after 30 minutes, if the pain does not go away after that time, then you either give a big load to the joint or you do not do the exercises correctly, then you definitely need a doctor's consultation.
For patients with osteoarthritis, a special set of exercises has been developed, which should be done several times a day for 15 minutes a day. It is necessary to perform exercises as far as possible plastic, gradually increasing the load. We will describe several exercises that are performed with osteoarthritis.
1. We accept the position of lying on the back and bend the legs in the knees. We lift the right foot from the floor and in a bent state, press it to the chest for a few seconds, then release it. So, we repeat 10 times. Repeat exercises and with the left foot.
2. We accept the position lying on the back, the legs are even, we bend the leg in the knee and try not to tear off the foot from the floor, to live to the torso, we repeat this exercise and with the other leg 15 times.
3. We sit down on the table, the back should be flat, and we chat with our feet.
4. Sitting on the table, the back should be level, raise one leg as evenly as possible, we sip the foot on ourselves, then slowly let go. Such an exercise to do the other leg.
5. Accept the position, lying on the back, the legs are even, raise one foot 30 cm from the floor and slowly release. Such an exercise is performed with the other leg up to 30 times.
6. We accept standing position, keep the back straight, knees slightly bend and dilute. Lean your buttocks against the edge of the table and, without bending your back, do the leans forward, then return to the straight position. Make at least 10 times.
Do exercises slowly, smoothly, gradually increasing the load. Exercise should be done within 10-15 minutes several times during the day( at least twice).
Position lying on the back, legs bent at the knees. Tear off the right foot from the floor, use the hands to squeeze as close to the chest, hold for a few seconds, lower the leg. Repeat with the same left foot. Run 10 times. Lying on the back, legs stretched. Bend the right leg in the knee joint, without lifting the foot from the floor, using your hands to press your foot as close to the body as possible. The same with the left foot. Run 10-15 times. Sit on a table or a high stool. Holding your back straight, chat with your feet. Sitting on a table or a high stool - raise your right leg, without bending at the knee, parallel to the floor,( stop at the same time pull on yourself), hold for a few seconds, gently lower it. The same with the left foot. Lying on your back, legs straight. Tear off the right foot from the floor, without bending at the knee, 20-30 cm, hold it for a few seconds, slowly lower it. The same with the left foot. Run 20-30 times. Standing on the floor, back straight, knees slightly bent and diluted, buttocks lean against the edge of the table. Do not bend your back, take the slopes forward and return to the starting position. Run 10 times.
For osteoarthritis of the hip joints, add the following exercises:
Lying on your back, bend your knees as much as possible without lifting your feet from the floor. Reduce and dilute the knees. Run 10-15 times. Lying on his back perform a scissors exercise. Run 10 times. Sitting on a chair, your back is straight. Leaning, touch the toes with your hands. Run 10 times. Lying on my back. Tear off the right foot from the floor, without bending at the knee, raise as high as possible, smoothly lower. The same with the left foot. Run each foot 10 times.
• Mucopolysaccharides are substances that are part of the intercellular space of connective tissue. These substances include hyaluronic acid. It is responsible for the elasticity of the connective tissue, because it keeps the free liquid. Chondratina sulfate is a biologically active substance, it participates in the production of lubricant necessary for the normal functioning of the joint. These substances are contained in jellied fish and chill. In the same dishes contains collagen, without which it is impossible to imagine the connective tissue.
• Filled soup from poultry, jelly and jellied recommended to eat for diseases of the musculoskeletal system even in ancient sources. Of course, when cooking, you need to use ligaments, bones and cartilage.
• Gelatine is also rich in mucopolysaccharides. If you make jelly from natural ingredients, it will be a vitamin product, useful for joints.
• You can not eat boiled meat broths with a sick gout.
• Restriction of salt to 5 grams per day will be beneficial for any diet. Nutrition for osteoarthritis should not be high-calorie, since overweight is one of the main factors in the onset of this disease.
If you are overweight, ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Excess weight gives an excessive load on the joints and can aggravate the manifestations of arthritis.
For people with arthritis, a healthy, balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and white meat is useful. Inclusion of fatty fish in the diet once or twice a week will help alleviate the painful inflammation in the joints: one study showed that 200 grams of salmon a day significantly alleviate the condition of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. It should be borne in mind that the consumption of fatty fish can aggravate the condition of those suffering from gout. Walnuts, green tea, fresh ginger also have anti-inflammatory properties.
Some people notice that their condition worsens from certain foods, in particular, this refers to red meat, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines or Bulgarian peppers. It is probably worth paying attention to what you eat so that you can identify potential problem initiators and exclude them from your diet.
Osteoarthritis( coxarthrosis, osteoarthrosis) of the hip: symptoms, treatment and diagnosis of 1, 2, 3, 4 degrees
Osteoarthrosis of the hip joint( coxarthrosis) - a disease of the musculoskeletal system, leading to deformation and other dystrophic changes in the joint of the cavitythe ileum and the femoral head.
Coxarthrosis causes degenerative cartilage disorders of the joint ;since only the femur is involved in movement, covering the cartilage head with time can wear out. Also, with the disease, the volume decreases and the properties of the joint fluid that plays the role of lubricant change. As a result of compensatory growth of the bone tissue, cysts and other bone growths on the joint surface are formed, resulting in a decrease in the motor function of the hip joint of the bones.
In most cases, the disease is prone to progression.
Epidemiology. Coxarthrosis is most common in patients older than 45 years, with more pronounced joint changes observed in females. In some cases, there is a bilateral defeat of the hip joints of the bones.
Causes of development of
The development of the pathological process in the hip joint of begins with the disruption of the function of the joint fluid , namely, with an increase in its viscosity and a decrease in production. The shells( cartilages) of the femur and the acetabulum, without obtaining a sufficient amount of lubricant, which ensures their sliding during movement, are poured and covered with cracks.
Increasing friction and pressure on the cartilage tissue leads to a reduction in the distance between the bony joints in the joint bag, resulting in their deformation.
The main causes that can trigger this process are:
- Circulatory system diseases , as well as local blood supply disorders, resulting in poor nutrition of the joint tissues by the branches of the medial femoral artery. The result is the accumulation of an excessive amount of metabolic products, which leads to a change in the composition of the joint fluid and the destruction of cartilage. In advanced cases, bone tissue can become necrotic;while coxarthrosis is a consequence of necrosis of the head of the bone.
- Hereditary predisposition of to joint diseases, caused by features of functioning and structure of bone, cartilaginous tissue.
- Congenital pathology of the of the hip joint( dysplasia, dislocation).
- Other diseases of the musculoskeletal system ( spine, foot).
- Inflammation in the joint ( coxit), observed as a result of infection by infectious agents, arising from the influence of autoimmune processes, etc.
Mechanical damage to the hip joint or injury to it can also affect the development of a phenomenon such as deforming arthrosis. Fractures and dislocations of pelvic bones, congestion of the joint due to heavy physical work or playing sports often contribute to the disruption of the functioning of the articular cartilage among young people.
Obesity, passive lifestyle cause stagnation of blood in the lower body of and are possible factors affecting the development of the disease;in the elderly, the main cause of coxarthrosis is the wear of the head of the femoral head and the ileum of the iliac bones.
Types of the disease
When the disease develops, with unclear reasons for the onset, the diagnosis is "idiopathic, or primary coxarthrosis".Often, unspecified osteoarthrosis of the hip joint is not a single one, and pathological processes are also observed in other places of joints of bones( knee, elbow, etc.), as well as in intervertebral discs.
Secondary coxarthrosis - hip joint disease, developing against other diseases or conditions. Especially often diagnosed coxarthrosis due to dysplasia( dysplastic), as well as involutive and post-traumatic, metabolic and post-infection.
Symptoms of coxarthrosis
The main reason , according to which the patient turns to a medical institution, is pain in the groin, aggravated by movement, walking, sometimes giving to the buttock, and also extending down the leg to the knee. A specific symptom of pain with coxarthrosis, which is the basis for differentiation from the herniated intervertebral disc - the absence of discomfort in the toes.
At the beginning of its development the signs of the disease can be more pronounced by the end of the day or after considerable physical exertion, then becoming more and more prolonged and intensive.
Acute or searing pain can be observed with a sharp motion of the foot, after awakening with the first touching the floor with your feet. As the course of coxarthrosis pain can persist for a long time( up to several weeks), almost without reducing the strength. The patient begins to limp, while making attempts to reduce the burden on the aching leg.
The next stage of the development of the disease - decreased mobility of the joint;it is especially difficult for a person to be given a foot motion to the sides, squats. There is a crunch in the joint, which is heard more clearly.
Reducing the load on the affected limb leads to a redistribution of the motor function of the entire structure of the skeleton, especially - the spinal column. In neglected cases, the leg is shortened, while unfolding in the direction from the body. Accompany the process of atrophic changes in the muscle tissue of the thigh, which leads to increased pain and, often, to its localization in the knee joint zone.
Degrees of development of hip arthrosis
Depending on the severity of symptoms, 4 degrees of development of coxarthrosis are distinguished:
- Hip joint arthrosis of 1 degree causes mild pain, usually after physical exertion, walking or prolonged standing. The area of pain localization is the pelvic bone. The X-ray image reflects a slight overgrowth of bone tissue from the acetabulum, as well as a slight narrowing of the lumen between the bones.
- The second degree of coxarthrosis leads to the appearance of pains that radiate in the groin and thigh, while being able to arise at rest, especially often at night. Loads on the leg lead to forced lameness. There are limitations in the mobility of the joint( contracture), especially when the leg is sideways, which leads to initial signs of muscle atrophy. X-ray images show pronounced osteophytes that extend beyond the articular cartilage, as well as enlargement and expansion of the femoral neck and symptoms of deformation of the femoral head. The joint gap narrows no less than 30% of normal height.
- Coxarthrosis of the 3rd degree causes pain, independent of movement and load;often they do not subside for several days or weeks, covering the entire surface of the foot to the knee. The mobility of the joint is sharply reduced, so the patient can move only with a support. Redistribution of the load on a healthy limb leads to flexure of the lumbar spine, shortening of the sore leg, and also pronounced dystrophy of the hip muscles. Bony growths on both sides of the joint of bones, as well as narrowing of the joint gap by 60-70% are determined in the picture of the affected area.
- Osteoarthrosis of the hip joint of the 4th degree causes the need to find the patient in the supine position;most often the joint is completely immobile. On X-ray, there is a strong narrowing or lack of clearance of the joint gap, destruction of synovial cartilage, marked swelling of adjacent tissues.
Consequences or what is dangerous arthrosis?
The started stages of the disease in the absence of treatment, both medical and surgical, lead to serious health consequences and reduce the quality of life of the patient.
Disability due to abnormal functioning of the extremities may occur already for several years ;most patients have dystrophic hip joint lesions, intense pain, muscle atrophy.
Often against the background of the immobility of one of the limbs, diseases of the spine, knee joints, and visible shortening of the aching leg develop.
Inflammatory processes in the hip and osteoporosis of bone tissue - a frequent phenomenon accompanying stage 3, stage 4 coxarthrosis, which significantly reduces the effectiveness of the treatment, and sometimes makes it impossible to perform endoprosthetics.
Diagnosis of arthrosis
The basis for the diagnosis is the characteristic clinical picture of the disease and complaints of the patient, as well as the data obtained during the radiographic study.
The snapshot allows not only to determine the stage of development, but also to find out the possible causes of coxarthrosis( dysplasia, trauma, inflammatory changes).The degree of severity of muscle dystrophy is studied with the help of images obtained with the help of MRI or CT, and disturbances of blood flow and damage to nerve trunks are diagnosed when performing radionuclide scanning and electromyography.
Differential diagnosis is performed with joint inflammation( coxitis), oncological diseases of the pelvis, as well as with gonarthrosis, bursitis, reactive arthritis and osteochondrosis of the spine.
Treatment of the disease
Drug treatment of coxarthrosis
In patients with coxarthrosis of the 1st stage, therapy with conservative methods gives positive results in the case of regular medical and preventive courses.
At the 2 stages of the disease development it is recommended to combine medical treatment with physiotherapeutic and some other methods:
- Hondoprotectors ( osteochondrin, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, rumalon, arthra, structum, elbon).Restore the tissues of the articular cartilage, promote the formation of synovial fluid. They are used only as a course treatment 2 times a year for 2-3 months of continuous intake. Often, the patient is recommended periarticular administration of chondoprotectors, which is a more effective way of using drugs.
- Analgesics and NSAIDs ( naproxen, ketoprofen, indomethacin, arkoxia, dexalgin, meloxicam, celecoxib, movalis, as well as paracetamol, analgin).The main purpose of drugs - the removal of pain and inflammation in the hip. Due to a variety of side effects, short courses are used.
- Glucocorticosteroids ( hydrocortisone, kenalog, diprospan, triamcinolone).Used for severe pain at any stage of coxarthrosis as an injection in the joint area, allowing you to reduce pain for up to 2 months.
- Preparations of hyaluronic acid ( synvisc, hyastat).Intra-articular nyxes are aimed at creating an artificial synovial fluid, designed to lubricate the joint. Manipulation is carried out only under the control of a tomograph, since it is extremely difficult to introduce the drug into the narrowed lumen of articular cartilages.
- Muscle relaxants ( midokalm).The purpose of the drugs is to relieve muscle spasm and pain, as well as improve local blood circulation, trophic tissue. Used as a course of intramuscular injection.
- Vasodilators ( nikospan, trental).Are directed on expansion of a musculation of vessels.
- External preparations: ointments with NSAIDs( diclofenac, fastum-gel, ketoprofen, diclocin-gel), warming ointments( menovazine), compresses with dimexid.
- Electrophoresis with novocaine or dimexid - with pronounced painful sensations for their relief.
- Physiotherapeutic methods treatment - magnetotherapy, UHF, laser therapy, muscle electrical stimulation, hydrotherapy.
- Therapeutic massage. It is carried out by the skilled expert by easy smooth movements in the field of a loin, femur, and also directly in a zone of a joint. As a result, the blood supply of tissues and the joint bag improves, which contributes to the development of synovial fluid.
- Manual therapy. Is a manual extraction of the bones of the joint, while the pressure of the articular cartilage decreases, and the lumen increases with them.
- Hardware traction. It consists in stretching the bones with a weight of 5-6 kg. The course of therapy - about 15 procedures 2 times / year.
3 and 4 degrees of development of coxarthrosis are treated in an operative way. Strictly forbidden stretching of the joint, and from medical methods of treatment, it is advisable only intra-articular injection of corticosteroids for pain relief. In the pre- and postoperative period is recommended exercise therapy, hydrotherapy, gentle orthopedic treatment( using a cane or crutches).
Currently the following types of operations on the hip joint are used:
- Artrodes. It consists in the removal of cartilage and the fusion of the femoral and iliac bones;thus the joint becomes immovable. It is often performed in young patients practicing physical labor. Next about half a year the patient spends in a plaster, and then develops a limb with the help of exercise therapy.
- Arthroplasty - placing a piece of patient's skin instead of articular cartilage, or replacing the head of the femur with plastic or metal.
- Osteotomy - fixing bones with the help of special plates, which improves the function of the hip joint support.
- Endoprosthetics. Includes a complete joint replacement( total prosthetics), the installation of prostheses with a shortened leg( allows you to leave most of the bone tissue), the use of cap prostheses( attaching the implant to your own femoral head and iliac hollow).
Exercises and therapeutic gymnastics
Light physical exertion of gives tangible results in the treatment of any degree of disease development. Each set of exercises is chosen by the attending physician taking into account the patient's condition;all classes are performed at a slow pace, and when pain or discomfort occurs, they stop.
Starting position for gymnastics - lying on the back, legs - straight:
- Having raised both hands in a vertical position on inspiration, they are held for 2-3 seconds and lowered on exhalation. After 8 repetitions, flexion of the arms in elbows is added, first raising them( 6-7 times).
- Do not tear the sole from the floor, slightly bend the legs in the knees, lifting them, and then unbend( 10 repetitions).Then they try to turn their legs inwards( 6 times), and then - spread them apart, sliding on the floor( 5 times).
From the prone position on the abdomen, such exercises are performed( each for 6 repetitions):
- Hold your arms at the waist, then lift your shoulders and head, then slowly lower it. Next, lift your legs in turn, keeping them at an angle of 30-45 degrees for at least 3 seconds.
- Move your arms under your chest. Raise the pelvis slightly, strongly compressing the muscles, then relax them and lie down in the starting position.
- Roll over on the side opposite the aching leg, place a hand under the head, and then pull back the aching leg.
- In the standing position, it is possible, keeping on a chair, to raise the sick leg slightly back and forth, and also to crouch down, to rise on the front part of the foot.
After consultation with a doctor, it is recommended to practice yoga, exercises with fitball, and also perform morning exercises on a daily basis, including several exercises from the above.
Nutrition with coxarthrosis
The main principle of the diet for coxarthrosis - calorie restriction of food in order to reduce body weight. At the same time, one should not abandon food of animal origin, since proteins are the main source of articular cartilage tissue construction.
Severe stages of the development of the disease provoke osteoporosis, therefore in the diet should be present a sufficient number of dairy products - cheese, cottage cheese, kefir.
4 and more times a week on the patient's table should be meat dishes, 2 times - legumes and fish. It will be extremely useful to include in the menu meat, fish broth, chill.
The proportion of animal fats should be reduced by adding vegetable. To reduce weight, it is recommended to limit simple carbohydrates, while complementing the set of products with whole grains of porridge, vegetables and fruits. Desserts are better than cook without the addition of sugar , while replacing it with honey, as well as adding gelatin - the source of hondoprotectors.
Treatment with folk remedies
Traditional medicine recipes will help increase the effectiveness of conservative therapy:
- To improve the circulation of blood daily take a glass of a mixture of crushed lemon( 3 pcs with skin) and honey( 3 tablespoons) with 3 liters of water.
- Pharmacy or self-tinctured tincture of a saber helps to relieve inflammation from the affected area. To prepare 50 g of leaves, plants are poured with vodka( 500 ml.), Left in a dark place for 3 weeks. The course of admission - a month for 30 drops daily.
- Kashitsu from leaves of aloe, mint and eucalyptus, connected in equal parts and crushed, put daily on a zone of localization of painful sensations. Due to anti-inflammatory and vasodilating action, the condition of the tissues around the joint improves.
In case of early detection of congenital hip dysplasia, as well as acquired violations of its functioning, is recommended for regular medical examinations of and treatment of these pathologies. The main measures to prevent coxarthrosis are:
- Elimination of injuries, as well as sports with a high load on the pelvis( strength training, athletics).
- Prevention of weight lifting and other intensive physical work.
- Physical training, which helps to strengthen muscle tissue( skis, swimming).
- Weight control, proper nutrition.
- In women: compliance with gentle loading on the pelvic area after childbirth.
- Orientation to the profession, not related to manual labor.