Effective diet for knee arthrosis
Arthrosis of the knee joint( gonarthrosis) is a chronic pathology of the non-inflammatory musculoskeletal system( destruction of articular cartilage), which currently affects every third inhabitant of the planet. Over the past 20 years, the prevalence of the disease has increased significantly, but the main factors that provoke its development are age and body mass index. Therefore, the fight against gonarthrosis, first of all, is based on a change in the lifestyle of the patient, and one of the important components of competent treatment is proper nutrition with arthrosis of the knee joint.
How to organize your diet to improve the condition of the knees?
In the course of numerous studies aimed at elucidating the causes of gonarthrosis, it was found that most often this pathology affects obese patients and people with disrupted metabolism, so often the main recommendation is weight loss.
However, when fighting overweight, it is important not to overdo it: limiting yourself to food, a person should not suffer from a lack of trace elements, vitamins and minerals.
When selecting the optimal diet, it is necessary to take into account not only the calorie content of food products, but also their composition( minerals, vitamins and other substances).
What can not be eaten with the disease?
- People suffering from arthrosis are encouraged, if possible, to exclude from their food ration the fast carbohydrates contained in baking, sweets and white bread.
- A large number of free radicals( aggressive structures that trigger the irreversible process of destruction of body tissues) are found in strong alcoholic beverages and in beer.
- It is necessary to refuse fast food, chips, crackers with various flavors and food additives, sweet carbonated drinks.
- You need to minimize the consumption of sausages, because they usually add carrageenan, used as a thickener, and preservatives. Also, meat products processed with "liquid smoke" should be discarded. All these products are harmful to the joint tissues.
Recommended products for gonarthrosis
Natural( ideally ecologically clean) meat and poultry.
Of course, not every city resident can buy it. The greatest amount of harmful substances is concentrated in animal fat and in the skin of a bird, so it is more reasonable to get rid of them immediately before cooking.
The most useful ways of cooking meat: boiling, baking in foil or on the grill, stewing and steaming.
As for the jellied and holland, which includes natural collagen, then the opinion of nutritionists is divided. The fact is that in addition to the benefits of cartilage and tendons, they are harmful to the whole body, since the jelly-like dishes contain a large amount of cholesterol.
If patients who suffer from arthrosis of the knee joint do not have the opportunity to buy ecologically clean poultry and animal meat grown on natural foods without hormones, then it is recommended to consume meat soups and broth not more often than 1-2 times a week. And at other times to eat vegetable soups and soups-mashed potatoes.
Low-fat fish should be constantly present in the patient's diet. The rules for its preparation are no different from the rules for preparing meat dishes.
Low calorie foods.
Lettuce, parsley, dill, green peas and beans, cauliflower and cabbage, fresh cucumbers and tomatoes( as well as freshly squeezed juices from these two vegetables), celery, spring onions, sprouted wheat grains, radish and spinach.
Products containing pectin.
Baked apples, red and black currants, red grapefruit, fruit jelly on fructose.
Most fruits and vegetables. Very useful baked and stewed vegetables. Chicken and quail eggs. No more than 3 per day.
Groats, cooked naturally( not fast cooking!).
Bread and pasta from wholemeal flour.
Fermented milk products 2,5-3,2% of fat content.
Tips and advice on nutrition
The arthrosis of the knee joint does not provide for any strict and specific restrictions on food, but at the same time it aims to eliminate the negative factors that lead to the destruction of cartilage tissue, the acceleration of metabolic processes inbody and, if necessary, reducing the patient's body weight. Therefore, in the development of this pathology, dieticians recommend adhering to the following rules:
- Eat often, but little by little.
- Do not eat after 18:00.
- Replace the familiar cup and dish with smaller dishes.
- Constantly control your weight.
- After meals 1-2 times a day to arrange walking.
- To introduce a sufficient amount of vegetables and fruits in the daily ration.
Regarding the drinking regime, when gonarthrosis is recommended to give preference to clean water and drink it at least 1.5-2 liters per day.
Patients should understand: in order for the treatment to be effective, proper nutrition should become a habit, lifestyle, and then eating restrictions will not seem too high a price to improve the health of your knees.
Knee joint gonarthrosis of 2nd degree - treatment
Gonarthrosis - arthrosis of the knee, deforming arthrosis - a disease in which progressive destruction of articular cartilage is observed.Symptoms and stages of gonarthrosis
In the development of the disease, doctors distinguish 3 degrees:
- In gonarthrosis 1 degree of pain occurs only after prolonged physical exertion. In the region of the knee, there may be a slight swelling, which quickly passes by itself. At this stage, it is possible to cope with the problem of traditional medicine methods.
- With gonarthrosis of the knee joints of the 2nd degree, the pains become frequent or constant, arise even in a state of rest and are intensified after exercise. When walking, flexing and unbending the leg in the knee, there may be a crunch and clicks. The knee is swollen almost constantly, its apparent deformation is observed. In addition, there is a joint stiffness, which can decrease throughout the day. At night, there may be pain in the calf muscles. Treatment of gonarthosis of the 2nd degree requires the reception of a number of potent drugs, and folk remedies can only be used as ancillary drugs.
- With grade 3 gonarthrosis, there is a visible significant deformation of the joint, permanent pain, restriction of mobility, even to the impossibility of stepping on the aching leg, pronounced lameness. Conservative treatment at this stage is usually ineffective and surgical intervention is required.
How to treat gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree?
With 2 degrees of knee joint gonarthrosis, treatment with conservative methods is still possible, but it should be performed under strict medical supervision. Treatment of gonarthrosis includes a whole range of measures:
- Drug administration.
- If possible, reduce the load on the affected joint. With unilateral gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree, the use of the cane is a good way to reduce the load, but in the bilateral form of the disease, when both knees are affected, this method is not available and it is necessary to limit oneself to special knee pads.
- Physiotherapy - laser, magnetotherapy, electrophoresis, low frequency vibration. Helps reduce puffiness, pain and inflammation.
- Massages, manual therapy and therapeutic gymnastics. They help improve blood supply, joint development and restoration of normal mobility.
- The diet for gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree is an obligatory component of the treatment and is called upon to normalize the weight( since the fat deposits create additional stress on the joints) and ensure the intake of the necessary vitamins and minerals. The food should be fractional( 4-5 times a day), contain a small amount of fats and as little salt as possible, be rich in plant and animal proteins, B, C and D. Vitamins.
Knee Glandarthrosis Products Standard Schemetreatment of gonarthrosis involves taking medications such groups:
1. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs:
They are used primarily to relieve the pain syndrome and to a greater extent eliminate symptoms than have a prolonged therapeutic effect.
- Chondroitin sulfate.
These are medicines containing synthetic analogues of the substances that make up the cartilaginous tissue of the joint. Contribute to the restoration of cartilage, but should be taken regularly, long courses. To the same group include preparations of hyaluronic acid, which is an analogue of articular lubrication.
3. Intra-articular injections of corticosteroids. They are used in short courses for acute symptoms and severe pain.
4. Ointments and compresses - used to relieve swelling and reduce pain. Of the ointments, the most effective are preparations based on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs:
For compresses most often used drugs such as Bischofite and Dimexid. Gonarthrosis of the knee joint( arthrosis): treatment of 1 degree, 2 degrees, 3 degrees.
Along with this, the bone tissue is restructured and deformed, so-called spines or osteophytes are formed. It is they that limit the movement of the joint and cause pain.
If, in the presence of a man diagnosed with knee joint gonarthrosis, treatment should be started, this may result in the disappearance of the cartilage, deformation of the joint and exposure of the underlying bone.
Knee joint gonarthrosis 1 degree
The first signs are the appearance of a feeling of discomfort in the joint and periodic pain. As a rule, the disease develops gradually and pain over time is more periodic.
Especially should pay attention to the condition of the joint in the morning, after sleep. Most people complain about the morning pain( after a long period of immobility), but leaving and developing the joint pain goes away.
Also, a person feels discomfort when climbing and descending the stairs, becausethe weight of the body rests on one leg and the articular cartilages in the knee joint are compressed. It is worth paying attention to crunches in the joints.
Gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 1st degree characterizes such features:
- fatigue of the limb
- moderately restricted movement in the joint
- can be heard a small crunch
In gonarthrosis of the knee joint 1 degree of pain will occur at the beginning of the walk, after a prolonged load, and in rest or light load theyare absent. At this stage, the knees still retain their natural form and are practically not deformed. In the joint space, there will be some narrowing.
Knee joint gnatroz of 2nd degree
Knee joint gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree already restricts in the movement of a person. At this stage, pain will accompany any movement associated with the affected knee. Especially severely affected knee will hurt after a long walk and wearing a light weight.
The pain syndrome can only be reduced after a long rest. Check the joint for flexion right now - if you can not bend your leg in your knee, serious deformations have already begun.
In the second stage, a knee crunch will be well audible, joint deformation will also be visible, the patient will begin to limp and develop muscle malnutrition. On the x-ray, you can see the narrowing of the joint gap in comparison with the norm 2-3 times.
A pathological fluid may also accumulate in the joint. At the second degree, drug treatment becomes necessary, it is impossible to cope with the disease alone with one's folk remedies.
knee joint Gonarthrosis of the third degree knee joint will further strengthen the patient's pain syndrome. The mobility of the knee joint will decrease to a minimum. Pain will bother a person even when the knee joint is at rest. Deformation of the joint bones becomes very noticeable.
It will be difficult for the patient to find a comfortable position for rest. In the case when the destruction of the joint is observed and a violation of blood circulation, the joints will twist at night and on the weather.
In the structure of the knee joint articular cartilage is practically absent, because of the sharp sealing of articular surfaces. Pain relieves patients even when lying down. The likelihood of gait disturbance due to X or O-deformity is very high.
At this level, it is advisable to perform knee arthroscopy surgery to remove outgrowths and deformed elements, as well as joint replacement - replacement of native elements with artificial analogues
. On the x-ray, the joint gap will be practically absent.
How to treat gonarthrosis of the knee joint? Treatment of gonarthrosis should be started as early as possible, as the patient's recovery process will be quite long.
The main task in the treatment is to remove the load on the joint as much as possible. Get rid of excess weight( diet and proper nutrition), do regular massage of the affected part of the joints, practice physical exercises on the recommendation of a doctor( exercises and gymnastics).
In the first stage, treatment can be conservative and include:
Knee joint gonarthrosis of 1, 2 and 3 degrees: treatment, causes, symptomsWhat is it - gonarthrosis is a disease of the knee that is not of an inflammatory nature, in which the blood supply of the cartilage covering the articular surfaces of the femoral and / or tibia is disturbed. As a result, the cartilage is destroyed, the parts of the bones begin to rub against each other, as a result of which they become denser and expand. This is often accompanied by inflammatory phenomena. Symptoms of the disease are due only to the above processes;calcium salts, if they are deposited in the joints, the cause of the pathology is not. Pathology most often develops in individuals 40 years and older, mainly women and people who are engaged in professional sports or having knee injuries. Articular cartilage does not regenerate, so the disease must be detected and treated early in the early stages.
Causes of gonarthrosisThe disease develops with a combination of several causes:
- fractures of the bones of the lower leg involving the knee joint;
- trauma of cartilage interlayers of the joint - meniscus;
- tears of knee joints;
- increased load on the joint - running, squatting, lifting weights from the vertical position of the body - after 40 years of age, especially if a person does not exercise regularly;
- joint inflammation( arthritis), which has a different - psoriatic, gouty, rheumatoid or reactive - etiology;
- genetically determined weakness of the ligamentous-capsular apparatus of the joint, due to which its looseness occurs;
- pathology of joint innervation, characteristic for craniocerebral and spinal cord injuries;
- metabolic disease.
- 1) Primary. It occurs against the background of full joint health( without pre-injury or inflammation).It is based on metabolic diseases, long reception of hormonal means, genetic predisposition of articular cartilage. The process is usually two-sided( although it can begin as one-sided).It develops more often in the elderly.
- 2) Secondary. Develops due to injuries, inflammations, tumors transferred to the joint operations. Can develop at any age. The process is usually one-sided.
Symptoms of gonarthrosis of the knee jointHow the disease manifests itself will depend on how far the degenerative process has progressed. Depending on this, three stages of the disease are distinguished, each of which has its own symptomatology. As a rule, the first degree of gonarthrosis of the knee joint is manifested by certain symptoms, which are worth paying attention to: the
- feeling of tightening under the knee;
- stiffness in the knee, which manifests itself after sleep, prolonged sitting or prolonged immobility of the joint;
- joint pain:
- arising from prolonged walking, squats, walking on stairs;
- aggravated after standing or physical exertion
- swelling of the joint can occur for a short time, passes by itself.
- joint pain becomes more intense, lasts longer. It disappears after rest.
- pain is felt inside the joint or on the inside of the knee.
- feels crunching in the knee when walking.
- in the morning it is impossible to unbend the knee.
- closer to night and at night there are pains in calves.
- does not fully extend the leg.
- joint swells, acquires signs of initial deformation.
- 1) Pain in the joint worries constantly, regardless of physical activity of the person.
- 2) Pain syndrome increases with changing weather.
- 3) The mobility of the joint is limited, due to which the person limps.
- 4) The knee is enlarged in size and deformed. When the process progresses, the joint becomes an X-shaped or O-shaped.
Diagnosis of gonarthrosisIt is possible to suspect the presence of gonarthrosis of the knee in the patient already on the basis of his complaints and objective examination data. The diagnosis is confirmed with the help of such instrumental studies:
- 1) Radiography. This method may be uninformative at the first stage of the disease, but subsequently it visualizes the narrowing of the joint gap, the compaction of the bone zone below the articular cartilage, and the sharpening of the edges of the condyles.
- 2) Computed tomography of the joint. This is more expensive, but more informative( even at stage I) method based on x-ray radiation. Visualizes the joint itself and surrounding tissues in more detail and layer by layer.
- 3) Magnetic Resonance Tomography - a method based on a non-radiological, considered harmless radiation, which can be used for contraindications to CT.Also layer-by-layer displays the picture in the joint, but is more informative regarding the surrounding soft tissues.
- 4) Arthroscopy is an invasive technique for joint research, when a fiber optic device is inserted into the hole made under local anesthesia, allowing the specialist to examine the joint from the inside.
- 5) The knee ultrasound is informative for the diagnosis of such complication of gonarthrosis as synovitis.
Treatment of knee joint gonarthrosisA doctor who is treating this disease is an orthopedist. Drug therapy of the disease includes the following groups of drugs:
- 1) Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and pain medications: Voltaren, Celebrex, Rofika, Nimesil, Movalis.
- 2) Chondroprotectors: Artra, Arthron, Dona, Teraflex, Chondroitin Complex. These drugs are taken for at least six months in the dosage prescribed by the doctor.
- 3) In the joint with pronounced inflammatory phenomena, enter "Hydrocortisone" or "Kenalog" no more than 3 times.
- 4) The preparations of hyaluronic acid are shown, which must be inserted into the joint when the inflammatory phenomena in it abate: "Hyalurum", "Ostenil", "Sinocrom".These medications show a very good effect, they are administered only a few times, while having a fairly high cost.
- 5) Heating compresses with "Dimexid", "Bischofite", medical bile to improve the blood supply of the joint, increase the production of "lubricating" liquid in it.
- 6) The preparation on the basis of drawing from soya and avocado plants - "Piascladin" - has also established itself as an effective tool in the treatment of gonarthrosis of the knee joint. At the same time, the treatment course is not less than six months.
Physiotherapy for gonarthrosisIn an acute period a person needs to provide complete rest for a diseased knee. Then proceed to the gradual introduction into his regime of the day of physical exertion. Exercises are carried out in the position of the patient lying on his back, they consist mainly in lifting the straightened legs, keeping them in the raised position. It is important to perform exercises smoothly, carefully, so that they do not cause pain. Begin with 10 minutes, gradually, 2 minutes a day, increasing the duration of classes. Increase and the amplitude of movements, which should be selected by specialists individually for each.