Cerebrovascular osteochondrosis: main causes, first aid, treatment
Cervical osteochondrosis, like many diseases of the musculoskeletal system, occurs with periods of exacerbation( increasing intensity of clinical manifestations) and fading( remissions).Exacerbation or relapse may develop suddenly, against a background of perfect well-being, or maybe gradually, beginning with precursors, to which the other symptoms join one after another.
A sharp, intense pain in the neck, which is amplified by the slightest movements of the head, is called cervicago or cervical lumbago. With an attack of cervical begins about 20% of exacerbations of osteochondrosis.
The remaining 80% does not start so brightly. A harbinger of a relapse may be a mild dull pain in the neck that occurs in the morning after a dream or in the evening.
What are the symptoms of exacerbation of osteochondrosis in the cervical region? Over time, the pain usually intensifies, followed by numbness of the posterior surface of the neck or a feeling of "crawling crawling" along it. These symptoms can be associated with headache, tinnitus and dizziness. Some people may have fever.
Six main causes of exacerbations of
Chronic stress. Long negative experiences lead to a spasm of cervical and occipital muscles, a violation of blood circulation in the vertebral vessels, headaches and sleep pathologies. From this suffering and without that sick intervertebral disks.
Prolonged unnatural position of the head and overload of the cervical region. Overtime work at the computer, driving, etc., when a person holds his head for a long time in an uncomfortable position, without noticing how the muscles become numb, can also lead to an exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
Inadvertent movement of the head. Even being in full health( more precisely, in remission), any awkward turn can provoke a cervical chamber. This happens when there are significant structural changes in the cervical region.
Any acute illness, exacerbation of chronic or hormonal failures. Their "combination" with the osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is different in each case, but the essence is common: "where it is thin, there it breaks."
Autumn relapse( cervical osteochondrosis "prefers" this time of year) can be associated with both the supercooling of the neck region and with the restructuring of the biological rhythms of the body.
Invalid treatment tactics: unprofessional massage, physiotherapy, when they are contraindicated, and even gymnastic exercises if performed incorrectly. Relapse is provoked by displacement of the vertebrae of the cervical region or compression of the vessels and nerves.
First aid and treatment for exacerbation
Acute form or sudden "shot" in the neck
Neck piercing requires urgent treatment: if the pain is very severe and the head is jammed so that it is not possible to swallow the pill, you need to call an ambulance. A medical team will make an anesthetic injection and, if necessary, take it to a hospital.
During a cervical attack, try to lie down or lean your head against something, so that you can relax your muscles. To ease the pain ointment of instant action "Fastum-gel" or "Bystrum-gel", and also reception of anesthetics inside will help. Ibuprofen, diclofenac and ketoprofen-based products are best for help, but if they are not, it is not forbidden to take any analgesic that is at hand. To remove muscle spasm will help 1 tablet of sirdaluda or tizanidine.
In the first days after an attack, it is important to keep the neck rest by wearing a cotton-gauze collar - from the shoulders to the chin. Such a collar can be made by yourself or bought at a pharmacy - it is called the "collar of Shantz". As soon as possible after an attack, consult a doctor, to prescribe( or adjust if necessary) treatment, discuss preventive measures.
Gradual exacerbation of
Treatment of a moderately recurring relapse should begin with a visit to the doctor. Independently, you can take an anesthetic and fix the neck with a collar, but leave the choice of the treatment that suits you to the specialist.
Also remember, what with exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis can not be done:
- To warm a sore spot. Intensive heat will cause blood flow to the lesion focus, increased edema and, as a result, pain.
- Stretch and massage the cervical section. This "treatment" can further exacerbate the situation and cause complications.
But the manual therapy in this case is not contraindicated. On the contrary, a qualified osteopathic physician will be able to place the vertebrae in place and release the strangulated nerve.
And what do relapses in general say?
According to the nature of relapses, 3 forms of osteochondrosis flow are classified:
- if each subsequent exacerbation proceeds with the same force as the previous one - the disease has a typically stable form;
- if relapse occurs more easily with time, then the course of osteochondrosis regresses;
- if the symptoms with each exacerbation increase, and the gaps between them become shorter - the disease progresses.
A typical-stable osteochondrosis of the cervical department is diagnosed in most patients. It takes such a course when there are already persistent changes in the vertebral disks, but the disease is under control and the patient receives the right treatment.
The regressive type is characteristic for those who pay attention to their health and began to be treated at the first symptoms of pathology. This form can result in recovery.
Progressive type can talk about the neglect of a condition when the sick months, or even years, ignored the problem, and the changes in the intervertebral discs became irreversible. An illness can go into this form if you neglect treatment or subject the spine to exorbitant loads. Progressive type of osteochondrosis of the neck occurs in 30% of patients.
The exacerbations of osteochondrosis last, on average, about a month. The acute period lasts 3-7 days, residual pain can persist for 2-3 more weeks. At this time you need to especially take care of yourself: do not overcool, do not be nervous, try not to work for a long time, straining the neck muscles. If you have to sit, it's best - in the chair with the headrest. It is also important to avoid neck injuries and sharp turns of the head.
During an after-attack, while you are under treatment, it is not advisable to visit saunas and baths, and also take alcohol.
If the disease worsens with the onset of cold weather, buy a warm scarf made of natural wool and do not forget to put it on in bad weather.
Symptoms and treatment of acute cervical, thoracic and lumbar osteochondrosis
Exacerbation of osteochondrosis in chronic course of the pathology is manifested most often in the form of radicular syndrome. The condition is formed against the backdrop of infringement of spinal nerves in the spinal column.
Radicular syndrome in the background of degenerative-degenerative processes is the most common manifestation of pathology. Symptoms of the disease are usually accompanied by the following manifestations:
- cervical radiculitis;
- numbness of the upper limbs;
- tremor of the head;
- sensation of "goosebumps";
- tingling of the hands;
- crotch of forefinger;
- throbbing pain in the superciliary region;
- sharp pain in the chest.
An exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis can manifest with one or more specific symptoms. If pathology is detected in the early stages, it is possible to conduct effective treatment and prevent the emergence of a whole complex of pathological symptoms.
Consider the causes and symptoms of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine in the article in more detail.
Than manifested and how to determine the exacerbation of
The aggravation of osteochondrosis is manifested by acute pain in the side and back. Painful sensations intensify against a background of deep inspiration, coughing, at night, with changing weather. Constant pain can appear within a week. Sometimes it will be one-sided, and sometimes two-sided.
If the upper segment of the thorax is injured on the background of the disease, painful sensations appear in the area of the shoulder joint and shoulder. In such a situation, doctors prescribe a radiograph of the shoulder joint and cervical spine.
When the picture shows no pathology of the shoulder joint, doctors suggest that dizziness, headache and other symptoms of the pathology develop due to degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine.
To prevent cervical-chest osteochondrosis, you should familiarize yourself with the methods of disease prevention. Important principles should be observed that allow to quickly cope with the manifestations of the disease:
- Do not overload the spine and create conditions under which the pressure in the intervertebral discs will increase. Care should be taken to the symptoms of the disease. If the first signs of a pathology of the spinal column are found, contact a specialist immediately.
- Regularly perform physical exercises aimed at strengthening the muscular corset of the back.
- Avoid overcooling, stressful situations.
- Get rid of bad habits.
The complex of usual physical exercises, performed to improve the work of skeletal muscles, allows to normalize the condition of the spine and improve the work of the spinal column.
To improve the condition of the cervical spine, perform the following gymnastics:
- Press on the palm of your forehead, strain the skeletal muscles of the neck. Do the exercise for 7 seconds 3 times. Then press the palm on the back of the head with the same periodicity( 3 times for 7 seconds).
- Right click on your right palm. The duration and number of repetitions is similar to the previous exercise.
- Tilt your head back. Press your chin against the jugular fossa and try to overcome the resistance of the muscles of the neck. Repeat exercise at least 5 times.
- Keep your shoulders and head straight. Slowly turn the head to the right to the maximum distance. Then turn it slowly to the left with a slow rotation.
- Lower your chin to the neck. Turn your head 5 times to the left, and then 5 times to the right.
- Try to touch the right shoulder 5 times with the right ear first, and then touch the left ear of the left shoulder.
Exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis in 30% of cases is observed some time after the installation of the primary diagnosis. Nevertheless, the disease progresses gradually. Often it is detected in young people under 30 years.
Syndromes for exacerbation of osteochondrosis:
- is a syndrome of the vertebral artery.
Vertebral syndrome manifests itself in pain along the spinal column. It increases with the turns and slopes of the head to the side. Depending on the localization of the pain syndrome, it is possible to diagnose the pain syndrome in the arm or under the scapula.
Constant and aching pain intensifies with the progression of the disease. It can be shooting and sharp. Aggravated against a background of hypothermia of the body.
In the case of cervical chest osteochondrosis of moderate degree, head movements are difficult. Any turn to the side or the slopes can cause tension in the neck muscles and increase the pain syndrome.
A crunch in the area of the cervical spine appears in the initial stages of the disease. If you do not start it in time to treat, the symptoms will be accompanied by headaches and dizziness.
In the late stages of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine, it is difficult for a person to hold the vertebral axis in the correct position. In this situation, it is difficult to turn the head to the right or to the left.
How long does the pain last?
Determining how long the exacerbation of osteochondrosis lasts, the doctor should conduct a thorough diagnosis of the patient's condition and determine the type of pathogenetic mechanisms of the disease that develop.
If this is a syndrome of the vertebral artery - a person often experiences frequent headaches and dizziness. The syndrome includes the following symptoms:
- impaired consciousness;
- lowering of blood pressure.
Cervical migraine is a severe headache that occurs against the background of oxygen starvation of brain tissue, impaired consciousness and increased blood pressure. The most common pain sensations are localized on one side. They can radiate to the back of the head or ear.
Acute cardiac syndrome occurs when the thoracic spine is affected. It resembles a heart disease - angina, as it has similar clinical manifestations: pain in the heart, irradiation of pain sensations under the scapula on the left.
Radicular syndrome in the defeat of the cervical spine appears due to compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine. External symptoms of the disease are formed depending on the location of the pinch:
- at the level of the upper cervical segments( C1-C2) - numbness of the occipital skin and pain in the occipital region;
- numbness of the tongue, ear and pain sensations in the nape - with C3 lesion;
- lesion of the lower cervical spinal nerves, starting from the 4th, leads to pain behind the sternum, hiccup, pharyngeal migraine. In this case, there is a foreign body sensation behind the sternum. Pain in the throat, tonsillitis and tonsillitis are combined with fever;
- with a lesion of the 5th segment there is a disruption of mobility of the upper shoulder girdle;
- pinching of the 6th segment leads to pain in the shoulder blade;
- the seventh pair in lesion leads to numbness and pain in the middle and index fingers of the hand;
- compression of the 8th segmental nerve of the neck leads to the dilution and flexion of the little finger of the hand.
To eliminate the exacerbation of osteochondrosis, a combination therapy of the disease is needed. If intervertebral hernias appear against the background of pathology, the person develops signs of paresis and paralysis. Therapy of pathology should take into account all the symptoms of the disease. This is the only way to remove pathological manifestations of the disease.
Self-cure cervicothoracic osteochondrosis can not. The choice of tactics of therapy of pathology is selected by several specialists simultaneously: a neurologist, a vertebrologist and a therapist.
Exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis treatment
Exacerbation of neck osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is accompanied by a number of disorders in the area of vertebral discs, namely in their cartilaginous tissue. Despite the fact that this disease can affect different parts of the spine, it can still have different stages of development.
Stages of osteochondrosis
But, despite this, the most common is cervical osteochondrosis, moreover, this type of disease is typical even for young people. How to recognize cervical osteochondrosis? In fact, it is very simple, due to pronounced symptoms: during this disease there are strong pain sensations in the neck, and the work of the nervous and vascular systems is disrupted.
In addition to the fact that cervical osteochondrosis is the most common, it is also very dangerous, as in the course of its development a nerve is jammed, which disrupts the circulation and leads to deformation of the intervertebral discs. Since this disease refers to chronic, the patient should regularly undergo an examination with his doctor. It is especially important to carry out preventive procedures to avoid exacerbation of the disease.
Exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis. Symptoms of
If the time is not carried out to prevent osteochondrosis, the disease can go to the stage of exacerbation. An exacerbation of the osteochondrosis of the cervical department should be treated as soon as possible in order to prevent the occurrence of complications. During the exacerbation of this disease, there is a sharp increase in pain, especially pain in the neck and occipital region. Moreover, the pain can spread to the forearm, on the arms and between the shoulder blades.
That is, the patient can no longer lead a normal life, because the pain prevents him from moving. In addition, it should be noted that painful sensations intensify in the morning, after awakening, as well as during movement, with a deep breath and even a cough. In addition, the pain is so strong that it can cause dizziness, impaired coordination and even vision.
Due to the fact that the exacerbation of osteochondrosis affects the quality of life of a person very much, disorders can occur in the nervous system. In turn, it can lead to insomnia, anxiety and irritability, dispersion and so on.
Well, the most serious symptoms of osteochondrosis are changes in the color and structure of the skin, the appearance and sensation of burning, tingling, numbness, and even muscle tone may be disturbed. In general, exacerbation of osteochondrosis is a very serious phenomenon that requires urgent medical attention.
Medical care for osteochondrosis
Why can osteochondrosis arise?
To such a disease as osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, both external and internal factors can result. As for the internal causes of the disease, they include a hereditary predisposition, a direct disruption in the development of the structure of the spine, age, as well as a metabolic disorder in the human body. \
Osteochondrosis occurs for a number of reasons
Much more often cervical osteochondrosis develops due to external effects, andnamely: due to heavy loads on the vertebrae, injuries, infectious diseases, muscle dystrophy, curvature of the spine, as a result of intoxication and even flat feet. In addition, osteochondrosis can result in a sedentary lifestyle, overweight, hypothermia, an improperly mattress or pillow, poor ecology, and a lack of certain vitamins in the human body.
External signs of osteochondrosis
Given the fact that there are many reasons for the appearance of osteochondrosis, and not all of them depend on a person, every person has a risk of getting sick, regardless of age and type of activity. Of course, people with a low-active lifestyle and sedentary work are the most affected. But given the fact that osteochondrosis can be the result of overexertion, athletes and people with hard physical work are at risk.
How is the diagnosis of osteochondrosis
Diagnosed with cervical osteochondrosis at home is impossible, due to the fact that to establish an accurate diagnosis it is necessary to undergo examination on special equipment. It is for this purpose, if you suspect a disease, you need to go to a medical facility. Diagnosis of osteochondrosis consists of several stages. First of all, the patient should undergo an examination on an x-ray machine.
After that, a computerized tomography and MRI of the cervical spine are performed. And, of course, for an accurate diagnosis it is necessary to undergo ultrasound dopplerography. Only by the results of the above examinations can you determine the presence, type and stage of osteochondrosis. After the doctor is determined with the diagnosis, he can prescribe the most effective and correct treatment.
Treatment and prevention of osteochondrosis
Like any other disease, osteochondrosis is best treated in the initial stages. But in this case, in no case can not engage in self-medication, because this can only aggravate an already serious problem. Having addressed in the medical center, it is possible to receive the qualified consultation of the doctor and instructions on complex treatment of the given disease. Treatment of osteochondrosis should be complex and consist of several stages.
The first stage of treatment of pathology is medical treatment, that is, the patient receives a list of drugs and recommendations for their use. At this stage, preparations of different pharmaceutical groups are taken, as it is necessary to remove pain and inflammation from the damaged area, to start recovery processes and completely eliminate the symptoms of the disease. Medicamental treatment can occur with the help of tablets, injections, ointments and creams, which is better for the patient, the doctor decides.
The second component of osteochondrosis treatment is aimed at enhancing the effect of drugs and on the rapid improvement of the general condition of the patient. To this treatment are various types of procedures and therapeutic gymnastics. Often a patient with cervical osteochondrosis is prescribed electrophoresis, magnetotherapy, reflexology, ultrasound, massage and so on.
Treatment for osteochondrosis of the neck
As for therapeutic gymnastics, it should be thought through to the smallest detail and, again, appointed a doctor. Gymnastics should be done regularly and correctly, so it is better to do it under the supervision of a specialist.
In order to avoid the occurrence of osteochondrosis or to protect against exacerbation, it is necessary to prevent this disease. Warn the disease will be gymnastics, which need to be given only a few minutes a day and you can do it even when you are at the workplace. In addition, it is recommended to visit the doctor periodically for examination, as well as follow the posture. Do not forget that the correct metabolism and the presence of all the necessary vitamins in the body will also protect the person from the appearance of pathology. To do this, you need to eat right and give the body all the necessary trace elements.
Among the preventive measures can also be cautious when wearing weights and proper selection of bedding. In addition, it is worth noting that the cause of many diseases are stress and nervous tension, so a person should avoid disturbances in the work of the nervous system.
If possible, it is best to avoid unpleasant situations and negative emotions, and if necessary, it is recommended to take sedatives. Proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle are necessary components of each person's life, they will help to avoid the development of not only osteochondrosis, but also any no less serious diseases.
Video - Exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis treatment
Fig.: for which organs the spine is responsible
Symptoms of chest osteochondrosis
These signs most often "simulate" diseases of internal organs.
So, because of such osteochondrosis a person can think that he is sick:
- peptic ulcer disease;
And sometimes the symptoms are so strong that there is a suspicion of pneumonia, myocardial infarction or a perforated peptic ulcer.
The main symptom of osteochondrosis of this department is back pain and one or two( less often) flanks.
This pain is acute, lasts for a long time, increases with movements, coughing, deep breathing, becomes stronger at night.
There may also be a sensitivity disorder in the thighs, and if the process is observed in the lower vertebrae, next to the lumbar spine, bowel and bladder function( constipation or incontinence) may be impaired.
Symptoms of defeat of the cervicothoracic part
- Pain is not only in the neck, but in the arm. The hand is difficult to lift and retract. Sensitivity of the skin of the hand is reduced, muscle strength - too.
- Syndrome of staircase. There is pain and heaviness in the hand. Pain can have any characteristics( sharp, aching, cutting).It intensifies at night, when the head is tilted to the other side, with a deep inspiration, with the tap of the arm. Can give in the shoulder, armpit, half of the chest.
- Pain in the hand, which is amplified by rotating the hand and bending it in the direction of the palm. Muscle strength in the hand decreases. It's very painful to get a hand on the belt.
- Severe pain in the heart. It is easier when taking "Nitroglycerin" and "Validol" does not become. At the height of such pains, the ECG is normal.
- Syndrome of the vertebral artery.
What is a wedge-shaped deformation of the vertebrae? Look here.
Symptoms of osteochondrosis during pregnancy and after childbirth
The aggravation of osteochondrosis during pregnancy is quite natural, since during this period the load is greatly increased, which is very difficult to distribute correctly.
In pregnancy, an enlarged abdomen serves as a load. If the exacerbation is not dull, then the birth will further aggravate the situation.
After giving birth, a woman also experiences a strong strain on the spine: she is carrying a child, often she has to feed him and sway in an uncomfortable position.
All this causes an exacerbation of osteochondrosis, which occurs mainly in the lumbar or cervico-thoracic region.
Symptoms of a woman appear the same as those of non-pregnant women:
- if the process is in the lumbar region, the pain occurs in the lumbar region, spreads to one or two legs, it becomes easier to lie down;
- if the cervical osteochondrosis has become aggravated, the pains arise in the neck, they are given to the hand, which becomes difficult and painful to move;
Less common are radicular symptoms, but they can also occur.
It can rise( and then, only up to 37.5 degrees, not higher) in the event that:
- has other symptoms of the vertebral artery syndrome;
- has symptoms of spinal stenosis in which the spinal cord is located;
- very rarely - with lesions of the thoracic region.
In other cases, the increase in temperature( albeit against the background of pain in the spine) is a sign of an infectious process.
This is determined by the presence of persistence of severe symptoms.
Usually, under condition of treatment, it persists for 7 days. Less acute period lasts 2 weeks.
Nevertheless, active treatment of osteochondrosis of any department lasts 1-3 months.Can I relieve pain with osteochondrosis using Kuznetsov's applicator? Read about this in our article about the application of the applicator Kuznetsov.
What contributes to the development of scoliosis in children? Read here.
What is the danger of protrusion of the intervertebral disc? See here.
The main thing - to properly provide first aid. For this, before the doctor comes, you do not need to unbend the bent patient. He needs help to reach the bed, and if he fell to the floor - do not lift it.
You can give a person anesthetic( "Ibuprofen", "Diclofenac", "Analgin").
Then comes the doctor, examines the victim, and decides where to get treatment - in the hospital or at home.
Treatment of exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis includes the administration of such medications:
- Painkillers. They are prescribed not only to relieve pain, but also to reduce inflammation in the spine. These drugs are: "Indomethacin"( the most effective), "Diclofenac", "Ketanov", "Ibuprofen".
- Chondroprotectors. These are drugs that help stop the degenerative process in the intervertebral disk. They make sense to apply only for 6 months. For a shorter time they are ineffective. These are: Kondrorova, Khondroksid, Arthra, Mukosat.
- Muscle relaxants. These are drugs that relax the pathologically strained muscle - "Midokalm", "Finlepsin".
- Group B vitamins: "Milgamma", "Neurorubin Forte", "Neurovitan".
- Nootropic drugs: "Thiocetam", "Aminalon".
- Diuretics .These drugs( "Furosemide") are used under the control of potassium and sodium plasma.
Photo: preparations for the treatment of osteochondrosis
For the treatment of osteochondrosis of other departments, the same drugs are used, except for nootropics and vascular drugs( if there is no impairment of the blood circulation of the brain).
It is recommended to apply compresses from herbs to a sore spot.
So, healers say that if you moisten gauze in a warm broth of sage and mint( one and a half tablespoons of each herb for half a liter of boiling water), and attach to the spine, pain will pass.
Do not help, according to folk doctors, and products( bandages, vests) of canine or sheep's wool.
There are also such recipes:
- 1 tbsp.honey + 1 tsp.apple cider vinegar is bred in a glass of hot water, drunk during the day, for 3 hours;
- mummy crumble into olive oil, then pour the tincture of St. John's wort;a month is insisted;rubs the sore spot.
Video: folk methods of treatment of osteochondrosis
In osteochondrosis, only not in the active phase, you can apply all kinds of therapeutic massage( periosteal, point, hardware, canned and others).
It helps to improve blood circulation in the intervertebral discs, relax the pathologically strained muscles, activate the regeneration of nerves and so on.
The first 2-3 sessions should be more sparing, not cause any pain, or discomfort. Particular attention is drawn to the development of pain points.
The duration of the session should first be 8-10 minutes, then longer.
Treatment of exacerbation of lumbar osteochondrosis with massage gives a good effect when combined with warming procedures( solux, sand heating).Massages not only the lower back, but also the thigh.
This effect on biologically active points by various methods.
These points are drawn in special manuals, when pressing in them a person should feel some pain and aches.
To find and act on the points should be a specialist - reflexotherapist.
Methods of Exposure:
The first symptoms of exacerbation of osteochondrosis. First aid and treatment
Osteochondrosis means a polyfactoral degenerative disease that affects nerve fibers, cartilage and bone tissue of the spine. In the early stages, the body tries to repair the damaged segments on its own, so during this period the disease may not manifest itself or be accompanied by slight unpleasant sensations that a person has time to get used to. However, even minor changes in the conditions and manner of his life can interrupt the process of self-compensation, thereby provoking an exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
DISCOSIS: causative factors of complications
Acute form of the disease occurs directly from the chronic due to a number of circumstances:
- increased physical activity( lifting of gravity);
- a long stay in a sitting position and an unnatural position of the head( at-risk consists of employees of inactive work: programmers, drivers, accountants, office staff, teachers, as well as students and schoolchildren);
- making frequent inclines( when digging up the garden, performing certain exercises) or sudden movements( sudden transition from a normal gait to a wide step, rapid leaning forward);
- set of excess weight;
- emotional-psychological shock or nerve strain;
- seasonal climatic changes( when the degenerative process starts, the intervertebral discs are particularly strongly influenced by both air temperature and atmospheric pressure);
- menstrual cycle( estrogens are responsible for the integrity of bone tissue, and during this period the amount of these hormones in the female body is significantly reduced);
- of carrying out a prohibited massage( for example, corrective, anti-cellulite) or performing it by a layman;
- hypothermia: any catarrhal disease is prone to formation in the nerve root of inflammation;
- alcohol intoxication: the use of alcohol-containing beverages adversely affects the reparative( restorative) function of all external and internal parts of the body, including the spinal column;
- visits baths or saunas( aggravation of the disease in this case is associated with a sharp temperature jump).
Therapists, neuropathologists and vertebrologists( physicians who deal exclusively with diseases of the musculoskeletal system) also distinguish "internal" causes of exacerbation of osteochondrosis - this is an induced genetic predisposition, a disruption in the development of the structure of the skeleton and the elderly / senile age.
How exacerbations occur in osteochondrosis?
Based on the fact, in which part of the spine the disease develops, the signs of exacerbation may differ somewhat among themselves.
If the area of inflammation is a cervical site, then the acute stage of the course of a chronic disco is accompanied by:
- pain syndrome in the parieto-occipital region and neck, which is strengthened with the slightest movements of the head( in the people this condition is called a lumbago, in medical terminology - a cervical attack);
- "giving" a pain in the foreleg and forearm, scapula, collarbone( depending on which pinched nerve);
- high blood pressure;
- darkening in the eyes and lining the ears;
- numbness of the posterior surface of the neck or a sense of running goosebumps;
- sometimes a fit of nausea and fever( but not more than 37.5 degrees).
Exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis is especially evident in the morning after awakening. In places where nerve fibers pass, trophism of the tissues can be disturbed, which leads to dryness and pallor of the outer cover. Often the worsening of the course of a chronic ailment also contributes to the disorder of sleep, memory, the occurrence of an unreasonable sense of anxiety.
The symptomatology of the thoracic discus is similar to the symptoms of internal diseases, so it often seems to the patient that he suffers from peptic ulcer, gastritis, heart failure or even pneumonia. In case of exacerbation of osteochondrosis, the symptoms are manifested as:
- of a pain attack in the area of the ribs with possible spreading into the abdomen, one or both sides;
- piercing pain in the back, accruing with a deep sigh, coughing, laughing, moving, and also during sleep;
- numbness in the hands and tingling in the fingers;
- feelings of constriction in the zone of the scapula;
- frequent urination as a result of impaired bladder function;
- constipation( constipation) due to an intestinal disorder.
Symptoms of exacerbation of cervicothoracic osteochondrosis:
- The feeling of pain( from insignificant to unbearable) appears not only in the neck, but also in the hands( with the bending and rotation of the brush, soreness increases);
- in the upper extremities is felt heaviness due to a decrease in muscle strength;
- skin of hands is less sensitive to external stimuli;
- possible doubling and flashing of flies in the eyes;
- because of dizziness, coordination of movements is disrupted, disorientation in space occurs.
Symptoms of exacerbation of lumbar osteochondrosis are expressed depending on between which vertebrae the spine cord has been squeezed, so a person can sense:
- a shooting pain in the lumbosacral region, spreading over the lower extremities to the thumb and intensifying while walking, tilting, sneezingand other actions;
- weakening of tendon reflexes;
- decrease of skin sensitivity along the inner side of the thighs and in the groin area;
- chilliness, aches and / or tingling in the legs( symptoms caused by blood flow disorders and leading to intermittent claudication syndrome).
Constipation or, on the contrary, incontinence of faeces and urine due to impaired functioning of the pelvic organs. In men, there may be a decrease in potency, in the fair sex - a violation of the cycle of menstruation.
Symptomatic of exacerbations during osteochondrosis during pregnancy.
Even in the early stages of pregnancy in the body of a woman there are significant physiological changes, resulting in an increase in the load on all systems, so the deterioration of the disco in this period is entirely natural. The lumbosacral portion of the vertebral column is more often affected, but complications in the cervical and thoracic region are also possible. Symptoms in all cases are similar to signs of exacerbation of osteochondrosis in non-pregnant, but can be supplemented by convulsive spasms of feet, insomnia, increased sweating.
How long does the acute phase of a disco last?
To determine the duration of the acute stage of osteochondrosis can only be due to the presence of severe symptoms and its preservation, so the task of the doctor in this situation is not easy. He should conduct a full diagnosis of the patient's condition and establish, by what principle the pathogenetic mechanisms of the disease develop. Correct and timely treatment reduces the duration of exacerbation to 7 days, but in rare cases, the acute period may not recede and up to 2 weeks.
First aid for complicating osteochondrosis
In severe deterioration of the condition, it is important to immediately take a comfortable pose to reduce the intensity of the pain syndrome. With the same purpose, you should take any analgesic( Tempalgin, Citramon, Baralgin, Analgin, Paracetamol).If the exacerbation of the disco is caused by stress, then it is worth taking care of taking antidepressants( better plant origin, for example, tincture of St. John's wort, peony root).On this, the manifestation of independence must be completed: the patient waits for the arrival of a doctor who, after examining, decides where( at home or in the hospital) and how to treat him.
Medication for exacerbations of
Treatment of exacerbation of osteochondrosis with medications involves the use of drugs such as:
- painkillers( Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, Ketorol): their goal is not only to eliminate pain, but also to reduce inflammation in the spinal root;muscle relaxants( "Finlepsin", "Midokalm") - medicines aimed at reducing the tone of the skeletal musculature;
- chondroprotectors( "Artra", "Structum", "Chondroxide") - drugs that stimulate the regeneration of cartilaginous tissue;
- medications with vasodilator action( "Piracetam", "Vinpocetine", "Pentoxifylline"): normalize microcirculation in the lesions by the disco, as well as transmission of nerve impulses;
- neuroprotectors( Mexidol, Thiocetam, Actovegin): appointed with exacerbation of the cervical osteochondrosis to improve metabolic processes in the brain;
- psychotropic drugs, the direction of their action - anesthesia and a decrease in muscle activity: antipsychotics( "Aminazine", "Haloperidol"), antidepressants( Prozac, Lerivon, Amitriptyline), tranquilizers( Chlordiazepoxide, Carbamazepine,"Diazepam");
- B vitamins( Neurovitan, Milgamma): necessary to restore the sensitivity of tissues and mitigate the effects of neuralgic disorders;
- biostimulators( for example, "Humisol"): have a reconstructive function and anti-inflammatory properties.
All medications are selected individually, as well as their coursework and dosing. The aggravation of the state of health may indicate intolerance of certain components or the establishment of an incorrect diagnosis, so it is important to report to your doctor in the hospital about even the slightest changes in health.
How to treat an exacerbation of osteochondrosis by folk methods?
Proper preparation and use of folk remedies at home can reduce the inflammation of the cartilage, reduce or completely remove pain. However, prescriptions should be used cautiously and only with the permission of a specialist doctor, otherwise the result of self-treatment of the acute stage of osteochondrosis may not be or even worse - side effects will occur. Here is an example of the most effective, proven methods:
- applying gauze moistened in a decoction of mint and sage to the spine( 200-300 ml of boiling water per 1 tablespoon of each herb);
- rubbing the sore spot with a product made from mummies, olive oil with the addition of St. John's wort infusion;
- superposition of the onion compress on the back with further covering with compress paper and wrapping with warm clothes;
- taking a warm bath with the dissolution in it of broth from nettle, oregano, burdock, mint and kidney pine( each plant is taken in the amount of 3 tablespoons, then the collection is poured 5 liters of boiling water);
- rubs with ointment, which is done by mixing 2 teaspoons of butter and the same amount of powder from hop cones;
- Drink the following: 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar is diluted 1 cup boiled unsweetened water, there is added 1 tablespoon fresh, natural honey.
What are the symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine - treatments for exacerbation
What is the danger of an exacerbation? Cervical osteochondrosis causes changes that affect vertebrae, intervertebral discs and surrounding tissues. The vertebrae in the neck are not as stable as in the other parts of the spine, so they can be easily displaced. When this occurs, the canal through which the vertebral artery passes can be narrowed, as a result of which the supply of blood and oxygen to the brain is impaired. The channel, in which the nerves pass from the spine to the brain, also narrows. This is the cause of the symptoms of the upper limbs, cardiac and respiratory, since the affected nerves also affect their functions.
Diagnostic procedures - what tests are performed and what the
shows. If the doctor suspects cervical osteochondrosis, he will conduct a thorough medical examination with a check of mobility of the neck, reflexes and muscle strength to see if there is pressure on the spinal cord or spinal nerves. Whether there is a back compression, is defined or determined on a gait.To diagnose an exact diagnosis and plan effective treatment, the doctor prescribes special image tests:
- X-ray of the neck: Anomalies can be found that indicate cervical osteochondrosis, such as bone spurs. Most often, X-rays are used as screening tools to exclude serious causes of stiff neck and pain, such as infections, fractures and tumors.
- Computed Tomography( CT): In this study, X-rays are taken from various points and combined to create an image of your cervical vertebrae and other structures in a cross section. CT is a much more detailed study than a conventional X-ray and provides more information, especially regarding bones.
- Magnetic resonance imaging( MRI): This test uses radio waves and a strong magnetic field to provide the doctor with a cross-sectional view of soft tissues and bones. This helps to identify places in the neck and spine, where the nerves are compressed.
- Myelogram: An X-ray or CT scan is done after dye injection so that the spine becomes more noticeable.
Nerve function researchHelps to find out whether the signals received through the nerves are received properly by the muscles. These studies include:
- Electromyogram( EMG): It evaluates how healthy the muscles and nerves are by measuring the electrical activity of the nerves when sending messages to the muscles when they are at rest and when they are active.
- Nerve conduction study: The speed and strength of signals sent by nerves are measured. Electrodes are attached to the skin surface, etc.
How to treat cervical osteochondrosis - what to do
Methods of treatment and the means used depend on the severity of the symptoms. Objectives - help in relieving pain, enable you to continue to do what you love as long as possible, and prevent injuries of nerves, spinal cord.
What medications are used - drug therapy
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen are very effective in controlling pain and inflammation associated with cancer. These drugs are available without a prescription and are used within the framework of home medication. They can cause upset stomach, so must be taken with food.If these remedies do not work, the doctor will recommend prescription drugs:
- Muscle Relaxants: These drugs help fight muscle pains and include drugs such as methoxabamol( Robaxin) and Cyclobenzaprine( Flexeril).
- Anticonvulsants: A number of drugs are used to control nerve pain for the treatment of epilepsy. These include pregabalin( Lyrica) and gabapentin( Neurontin).
- Drugs: In cases of severe pain, doctors prescribe analgesics containing narcotic substances. Examples: oxycodone( Percocet), hydrocodone( Vicodin).
- Injections of steroids: Prednisone injections, along with anesthesia, are made directly into the affected area.
Physiotherapy with spinal osteochondrosis - exercises of therapeutic gymnastics
A qualified therapist will teach and help in the performance of exercises that strengthen and stretch the muscles of the shoulders and neck. Thrusts are useful, they help create more space inside the spinal column and reduce pressure on the nerve roots that are pinched.
Surgery - when and why it is necessary to do the operation
- To which doctor to handle
If your condition worsens, as the consequence of the illness develops weakness in the limbs, or if your symptoms do not improve, despite conservative treatment, the doctor can recommend surgery to provide more space for the spinal cord and nerve roots. Sometimes it requires removal of bone spurs or a herniated disc, part of the vertebra.
Symptoms and treatment of exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis
The main symptom is neck pain
Cervical osteochondrosis accounts for about a quarter of all cases of osteochondrosis. This is the most "young" osteochondrosis and quite often it affects people under the age of 30 years. The disease develops gradually, slowly but steadily progressing. The initial stage of the disease can occur without symptoms at all, and a random X-ray examination can reveal the disease. Symptoms and treatment of exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis are various.
There are two main causes of cervical osteochondrosis:
- The person's lifestyle today is inactive, and, unfortunately, this becomes the norm for many people.
- Food imbalance, alcohol abuse. It may seem strange, but exactly what we eat directly affects the state of our spine.
Exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis and its causes
Aggravation of the disease occurs at any stage of it. The reasons for this are usually:
- Sharp movements, a lot of physical activity or lifting weights. Intervertebral discs react to this immediately;
- Stress and hassle. Very often stressful situations "awaken" the diseases hidden in the body and cervical osteochondrosis is no exception;
- Massage performed by a non-specialist. You have to warn about the illness of the masseur, otherwise you will have to pay for the consequences. To trust your neck and back follows only the competent masseur;
- Changes in weather or hypothermia. Osteochondrosis exacerbations often occur in the autumn;
- Hike in the sauna or bath. The desire to plunge into the icy water or hot to jump out into the frost should be forgotten, otherwise the osteochondrosis will immediately "thank" you with an aggravation;
- The elderly. Over the years, there is abrasion of the intervertebral discs, so the aggravation of the disease in an elderly person is not surprising and frequent;
- The neglect of the disease state. Exacerbations can not be avoided in any way, if the disease is not treated.
Symptoms of exacerbation of osteochondrosis
The main symptom is neck pain, but the symptomatology of the exacerbation varies, depending on how much the disease progresses:
- Pain in the area of the head.
- Reduced sensitivity of the skin in the parietal region.
- One half of the neck can be aching( as with migraines).
- Heaviness in the language.
- Pain in the foreleg and clavicle.
A particularly acute phase of exacerbation may be accompanied by malfunction of respiration, pain in the liver or heart. With the presence of a syndrome of the vertebral artery, there are undulating pains in the head, which especially "press" on the eyes, ears and whiskey. Another symptom of exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis is the appearance of a characteristic crunch in the occipital region when the head is tilted or rotated.
Fog in front of eyes, flickering dots and specks may appear. Exacerbation may be accompanied by ringing in the ears and dizziness. Also, pain can spread to the hand with a possible weakening of the strength of the muscles. Pain can be felt in the fingers and hands.
For relief of an exacerbation prescribe painkillers tablets
Treatment for exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis should be prescribed by a professional. If the aggravation caught at the moment when there is no one near, you need to call a doctor. Before his arrival, it is necessary to limit oneself to movements, it is best to lie down. You can take painkillers( analgin, diclofenac, etc.).These medications will relieve pain and reduce inflammation in the spine. To relieve the aggravation the doctor will appoint chondroprotectors, which will help to stop the destructive processes in the disk. But take these medicines need about six months, and only then they can help to avoid the repeated exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
Effective and muscle relaxants, which help reduce muscle tension. In addition, vitamins B and diuretics are prescribed.
The insidiousness of cervical osteochondrosis is that at first it can proceed without significant symptoms. But if you often have a headache, there are pains in the heart, these are the first symptoms of exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis and it should not be too slow to begin to treat. In this self-treatment should be determined exclusively by a doctor.
Treatment of exacerbation of osteochondrosis begins with the appointment and taking of medications. It is done by anesthetizing blockade to reduce pain and muscle tone. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, vitamin complexes and painkillers and ointments for external use are prescribed. Massage and medical gymnastics during an exacerbation are contraindicated.
After the pain syndrome is neutralized, it is possible to begin treatment with conservative methods. With anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, the muscle tension is also relieved, so it is justified to use them only at the 1 st stage of the fight against severe pain. To get rid of pain permanently helps:
- Manual therapy.
- Therapeutic massage.
- Physio-and laser therapy.
In combination with drug treatment, these methods give an answer to the question of how to relieve the exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis.
In addition, there are also folk remedies that help in the fight against cervical osteochondrosis. For example, compresses from horseradish sheet improve the blood supply to affected areas of the neck, cabbage relieves inflammation, and a mixture of propolis with dry mustard warms the pain area. Inward, you can take infusion on the root of celery, cooked in a proportion of 50 gr.per liter of water, 1 tablespoon three times a day for 2-3 weeks.
With sedentary work, you need to knead your neck, get up and move.
How to improve the effectiveness of the selected treatment
Regardless of which conservative treatment is chosen, the patient can always make it more effective. For example, if you know the technique of massage, you can independently, at home remove unpleasant pain. It should be remembered that in order not to harm yourself, all movements must be made from the top down, and the neck area is not subject to intensive influence.
It is best to do a therapeutic massage before going to sleep, so that the body could have a full rest. Most often for the treatment of exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis during the massage, the areas between the occiput and shoulders, knobs behind the ears, side parts of the neck are kneaded. This massage should end with a shoulder massage with outside help.
Well activates the circulation of can massage. The effectiveness of this popular method is known and proven. Movement in this procedure should be smooth, start in the nape of the neck and end with shoulders, the spine should not be touched at the same time.
Prevention of cervical osteochondrosis
It is not a secret to anyone that any disease is easier to prevent than to treat it. In order not to wonder: how to treat an exacerbation of osteochondrosis, you need to adhere to certain rules:
- It is better not to choose a soft bed for sleeping.
- The work chair should have a firm back.
- Do not stand in the same pose for a long time. In case of inevitability of this, you need to get up and move.
- Observe a distance of 30 cm from the book or computer monitor.
- Try to stay calm in all situations and avoid overexertion.
Knowing the causes of exacerbation of osteochondrosis and observing these not difficult recommendations, you can save yourself from painful sensations in osteochondrosis.
Remember that the exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis is successfully treated. The main condition for successful treatment is the proper performance of all appointments of a doctor. The complex of exercises that are prescribed will make the whole organism much healthier. Like any other disease, cervical osteochondrosis should be treated at the initial stages. However, if the disease has managed to hide and "show its claws" already in the process of progression, despair, too, should not be. The above tips will help you without fail, and you will know exactly what to do with exacerbation of osteochondrosis