Back massage techniques for scoliosis of 1 and 2 degree in adults and children
Scoliosis massage is an additional method of treatment of pathology. It is used in conjunction with exercise therapy, manual therapy and other methods of treatment of curvature of the spine.
Types of massage procedures
Depending on the purpose of massage procedures can be divided into:
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis in children and adults is aimed at eliminating the pathological deformation of the vertebral axis in the lateral plane.
The preventive types include:
The positive effect of massage procedures in scoliosis is due to the stimulating effect on the central nervous system, the improvement of metabolic mechanisms in tissues, the improvement of the innervation of muscle tissue.
The use of therapeutic massage in scoliosis of the 2 nd degree is also due to the elimination of pathological impulses in the compression of the nerve roots( compression syndrome).Pain and muscle spasms are eliminated by reflexogenic influence on the centers of the brain.
Reflexology massage for scoliosis of 1 degree eliminates the dystrophic changes in tissues that arise due to the violation of blood supply.
Segmental massage effect on the skin contributes to the normalization of the functioning of the spine and internal organs, with which the active points of the area of action are functionally connected.
Depending on the object, the massage is divided into:
Separate species should be self-massage, as it is not carried out on the classical eve, but aimed at reflexogenic stimulation of active points of the trunk in order to improve metabolism and activate blood supply in the area of damage.
In therapeutic massage procedures, not only the surface active points are affected, but also proprioceptive receptors located in the deep layers of the skin are stimulated. As a result, capillaries expand reflexively, and local blood supply improves. At the same time, the vascular tone increases and the oxygen influx increases.
The main methods of therapeutic massage for scoliosis:
Stroking is divided into:
Superficial stroking is used mainly for analgesic action( pain syndrome elimination).Deep exposure leads to an increase in nervous excitability, so it is not used in the acute phase of the disease.
Rubbing and kneading are the leading methods of treating lateral curvature of the spine in the cervical section of 1 or 2 degrees. They are performed in the collar zone or on the shoulder girdle. With a strong pain syndrome kneading and rubbing can significantly reduce it and relax the muscle tissue.
In the curvature of the thoracic area, deep and shallow stroking, intermittent vibration and rubbing should be applied.
Vibration is a weak rhythmic blow with the edge of the palm of your hand or with your fingertips over a specific area of your back.
Frontal deformity of the lumbar spine requires deep stroking, strong kneading and vibration.
Features of segmental technology
Complex segmental stroking and kneading in the presence of lateral curvature of the spine is used in the presence of tunnel and muscular syndromes.
Tunnel syndrome - compression of anatomical structures in the anatomical vagina of ligaments during its inflammatory changes or contraction.
Muscle Syndrome is a spastic muscle contraction that occurs when their innervation is increased.
The scientific justification for the application of segmental action on active points of the skin in scoliosis is that when pathological processes occur in the body, reflex changes occur in a number of lying organs. Such secondary changes also affect the primary pathological focus and lead to its increase. To prevent this vicious circle, a segmental effect on the reflex points of the skin is applied.
Segmental massage technique for scoliosis of 1 and 2 degrees:
- Gentle vibration - by the side of the palm of the hand in the area of pathological innervation.
- Indirect vibration - performed in specialized centers with the help of special equipment;
- Drilling - made 2-4 fingers with a shift and rubbing the skin;
- Pelvic shock is performed with a lateral displacement of the spinal column in the lumbar region with an angle of more than 11 degrees( 2nd degree).
The procedure for performing massage in children and adults
There is a specific procedure for carrying out massage procedures on the spine:
- They should begin with an effect on segmental roots located at the point of their exit from the spinal column. For this, before carrying out the procedure, a thorough examination of the human condition and radiography should be carried out;
- The procedure should always start from the lower segments and only if the skeletal muscle strain disappears. Transition to higher departments is carried out only after careful influence on the lower region;
- When performing the manipulation, first remove the surface tension and then move on to deeper areas. Children's massage is performed more gently than kneading muscles in adults;
- Segmental exposure should be conducted from the periphery to the center. In such a situation it is possible to provide complete relaxation of muscles and stimulation of blood supply to the skin;
- If there is a pain syndrome in the limbs in scoliosis of degree 1 or 2, it is better to start the procedures with segmental action. At the same time, movements are carried out from the periphery to the heart.
If you do not have the opportunity to contact a good masseur, at home, you can self-massage the limbs and back. For this, it is better to master the eastern methods of influencing the reflexogenic points of the body.
Thus, the readers learned how to do massage in scoliosis in children and adults. True, it is better to entrust it to specialists, and at home you can self-massage yourself.
Curvature of the spine requires close attention, with the initial stage of the disease there is an opportunity to get rid of this ailment.
Massage requirements for curvature of the spine
Even if the curvature affects only part of the spine, massage movements should cover the entire back. The frequency of execution in a day, and can be daily, if possible.
For more effective exposure, all exposures must meet certain requirements:
- The patient should be positioned so that the back muscles are relaxed.
- There should be no special burden on the patient during the session.
- For a more comfortable condition, the entire body, except for the massage zone, is recommended to cover the sheet.
- During the procedure, the patient must be in the same position for the entire session.
- Massage should be performed in a room with a comfortable temperature, without the presence of outsiders and not in bright light.
Curvature of the spine does not tolerate rough intervention, so massage should be performed as gently as possible, especially for the children of .
The procedure for performing massage with scoliosis
Therapeutic massage is included in the general course of treatment of curvature of the spine. It is worth recalling that only an integrated approach to this problem will achieve maximum effect.
The massage procedure is as follows:
- before the appointment of this procedure, the patient must undergo an X-ray examination;
- in the first stage of the massage, the segmental roots are stimulated, which come out of the spine;
- massage should be started only with complete relaxation of skeletal muscles;
- is the first to massage the lower parts of the spine;
- is gradually moving to higher departments;
- at the beginning of the procedure kneading the superficial muscles, and then moving to deeper layers;
- impact is from the periphery to the center;
- can not perform massage immediately after eating.
If the massage is performed by a child, then all movements should be more gentle and soft, hands must be lubricated with a special massage cream.
Do not exert pressure directly on the spine itself, regardless of where there is curvature.
Types of massage
Curvature of the spine very well treatable with this method of treatment, especially when the disease is in its initial stage.
Massage can be different, it is possible to distinguish several of its classifications. If we take into account the effect on the muscles, we can distinguish the following varieties:
- Toning. Leads the back muscles into a state of tension.
- Relaxing. Gives the opposite effect.
- Improving metabolic processes in muscles. This is a very important element in the treatment of spinal curvature.
Spine curvature exercises
When a patient is diagnosed with a curvature of the spine, the selected exercises by a qualified specialist will help to slow the progression of the disease and the development of complications from the internal organs. Nevertheless, before the start of treatment, a thorough and comprehensive examination of the patient is mandatory - adherence to this rule will help to select an effective program of conservative therapy.
- 1.2.2 Exemplary set of exercises
Causes of curvature of the spine
When conducting a survey, it is important to determine in a timely manner the type of curvature of the spine - this largely determines the tactics of treatment and the prognosis of the disease. In those cases where an unfixed deformation that disappears in the horizontal position of the patient's body is detected, it should be remembered that such a state can occur with a significant difference in the length of the lower limbs. It is in such cases that the selection and manufacture of the corresponding orthopedic( corrective) footwear becomes an indispensable and sufficient therapeutic measure.
Also during the examination, it is necessary to identify the type of deformation of the spine, the time of its appearance and the degree of scoliosis( curvature of the spine with one-stage rotation) - this often affects the prognosis of the disease. In this case, patients often reveal changes in the spatial arrangement of the internal organs, which causes first functional and then gross anatomical abnormalities in the internal organs.
Regardless of the cause of scoliosis, one should always remember that correcting the curvature of the spine should be done constantly, actively and persistently - only in this case it is possible to prevent the rapid progression of the disease during the period of hormonal changes and active growth of the body.
How to detect curvature of the spine by yourself
Doctors never tire of telling their patients how to determine the curvature of the spinal column on their own, and in what cases is an urgent consultation of a qualified orthopedic trauma specialist. For this, a careful examination of the torso of the stripped person is necessary - different heights of the shoulder joints, different width of the lumbar notch, excessive curvature of the spine, noticeable when the patient tilts forward. If you find even one such symptom requires immediate consultation of the orthopedist.
How to cure the curvature of the spine
In those cases, the when a patient has a curvature of the spine - the exercises should not be the only treatment method prescribed for the patient. In these cases, it is important not only to prevent the curvature of the spine in the future, but also the appointment of adequate nutrition, dosed physical activity, the use of physiologically beneficial body position in bed, adherence to the recommendations on occupational health( correct position of the body at the table in writing and reading,places, timely correction of visual acuity).
The question of how to treat the curvature of the spine with the help of exercises is justified only with I and II scoliosis and only if special corsets are used. Observance of this rule promotes the build-up of the muscular corset of the back, it becomes a good prevention of respiratory diseases, improves posture, but exercises with excessive stretching of the joints and articulations of the spinal column must be excluded from the complex of exercises.
When answering the question - how to correct the curvature of the spine good support is the holding of a complex of gymnastics in the water. In this case the force of gravity will noticeably decrease, and muscle tone will decrease - the patients describe their sensations as a free flight. With the same purpose, massage is prescribed in the curvature of the spine, before which you need to make sure of the experience of the massage therapist.
The goal of exercise therapy is to strengthen the main groups of the muscle spine of the spine - the muscles that straighten the spine, square muscles of the waist, oblique abdominal muscles, ilio-lumbar muscles.
Carrying out exercises of physiotherapy exercises for curvature of the spine and scoliosis, aim to correct the existing disorders and strengthen the muscles of the trunk - that is why they are directed to the dosed extension of the spine.
The basic rules for the use of exercise therapy should be:
- the beginning of training with a minimal but constantly increasing load;
- dosage of the number of repetitions depending on the patient's well-being;
- refusal to use passive traction - from exercises on the crossbar;
- refusal of exercises, during which it is possible to re-break the spine and vertical rotation of the trunk;
- necessarily alternation of the load on different muscle groups, not only the muscles of the back, but also the musculature of the upper and lower extremity should train.
During the complex exercise, most often the patient suffering from scoliosis, performs a basic set of physical exercises, which includes warm-up, the main part and final movements, and at any stage of training it is important to pay attention to maintaining posture.
The warm-up can include circular motions in the shoulder joints, flexing the legs in the knees with their bringing to the stomach, torso bending forward. Possible squats, which can be performed at a slow pace with mandatory control of breathing. With a significant degree of scoliosis, overly active exercises can provoke dizziness, palpitations, deterioration of the general condition, and often patients because of this refuse to exercise therapy, which is highly undesirable.
Selection of the main exercises of the complex of exercise therapy should be entrusted to an experienced specialist of exercise therapy, because their choice is determined by the degree of curvature of the spine, the anatomical and physiological characteristics of the organism of a particular patient. In the final part of the complex, walking at different tempo is performed, and also walking with a high hip lift and shin seizures.
Exemplary set of exercises
- When sitting, place your hands behind your head and rotate the shoulder girdle alternately in the right and left side, performing the "twisting" of the spine - your legs should remain still.
- Lay on the bench across, so that the blades are on its edge - from this position sag down and perform rolling movements at an angle of 30 degrees up and down.
- Lie on the bench on your stomach so that the edge of the bench is in the belt area, lay your hands behind your head. Bend from the starting position down and go back up, and with a large experience of training use a little burden( weight on the feet no more than 2.5-3 kg).
It is important to remember that exercises in scoliosis should not be performed with "swoops", from time to time, but constantly - only in this case, exercise therapy will be effective and help to avoid the progression of the curvature of the spinal column.
- About the author
- The last articles
Symptomatic of S-shaped curvature of the spine
Scoliosis of the 2nd degree manifests itself in the following symptoms:
- The appearance of vertebral syndrome, due to pathological changes in the vertebrae and other elements of the musculoskeletal segment of the spinal column. In this case, there is a possibility of developing a compression syndrome caused by the infringement of nerve endings;
- Appearance of extravertebral symptomatology, formed due to displacements and disturbances of innervation in the area of internal organs. Most pathological disorders are observed in organs such as the heart, kidneys and intestines.
Treatment of progressive scoliosis
How to treat a grade 2 scoliosis without using surgical techniques? Are operations to strengthen and restore the spine effective? Treatment of scoliosis of the 2nd degree should be carried out under the supervision of an experienced specialist and include the following principles for the elimination of frontal displacement:
- Orthosis and conservative treatment that eliminates deformity;
- Correction of the spine axis, counteracting instability factors;
- Orthosis, stopping the process of deformation.
Based on the principles discussed, it becomes clear that the spinal column deformity is treated with the following technical elements:
- Remote structures used on the affected area;
- Orthopedic products providing compression;
- Differentiation between the amount of deformation and the corrective force.
Gymnastic exercises from scoliosis
LFK in scoliosis of 2 degrees is a very effective technique that relieves the disease. It is important that complex structural exercises be selected by an experienced specialist for each patient individually. Simple elements of gymnastic exercises can be performed daily independently without consulting a doctor, provided there is no pain syndrome.
High efficiency of exercise therapy is due to the load on the exhausted areas of symmetrical muscles. Gymnastics with scoliosis of the 2nd degree also helps to relieve tension from the area of over-strained muscular masses, which allows reaching balance in the spine. Each treatment exercise is aimed at strengthening the muscular corset supporting the spinal column, which provides a natural position of the back and facilitates the restoration of posture.
How to treat scoliosis with a massage?
Massage with scoliosis of the 2nd degree is, though a minor medical technique, but without it a complete restoration of curvature is impossible. After these procedures, blood circulation is increased and tension is removed from those muscles that are in tonus. After several massage sessions performed by a qualified specialist, the patient's condition improves significantly, especially if this type of effect is combined with a medical physical culture.
The most effective massage for S-shaped scoliosis, which is accompanied by the displacement of the pelvic bone or intervertebral joints. Independently to conduct complex massage movements is not recommended, and simple even recommended.
Massage technique for self-treatment:
- Gentle vibrations - performed at the site of localization of pathological innervation and performed by the lateral parts of the palms;
- Drilling - displacement and grinding of the skin, carried out by 2 and 4 fingers;
- Concussion - performed with the lateral form of the spinal column in the lumbar region and implies a powerful but moderate impact on the affected area of the spine from the side opposite the bulge.
In the presence of pain syndrome, medical gymnastics and massage effects on the back are not recommended. Before starting treatment in this way, you should consult a doctor who will recommend the correct approach to eliminate the ailment, which will significantly reduce the time spent on treatment. Scoliosis in childhood should be treated only under the supervision of a specialist, as self-medication can cause the transition of 2 degrees of disease in 3 or 4, which require surgical intervention.
We offer you to get acquainted with the selection of FREE courses and materials available at the moment:
- Free video lessons from a licensed physician for rehabilitation of pain in the lower back. The author of the lessons is a doctor who developed a unique method of recovery and treatment of all parts of the spine. The number of patients who have already managed to help with back and neck problems totals over 2000 !
- The 10 most important nutrition components for the health of the entire spine - a report on this link will tell you what a daily diet should be for your spine and the whole body to be healthy.
- Do you suffer from osteochondrosis? It is strongly recommended that you familiarize yourself with effective courses of cervical and thoracic osteochondrosis without resorting to medication.