Symptoms and Treatment of Sciatic Nerve InflammationSciatica( pinched or inflamed) of the sciatic nerve is a pathology associated with compression of the nerve trunk in the lumbosacral region. As a rule, it develops at the age of more than 30 years and is manifested by a severe pain syndrome, a violation of the sensitivity and motility of the sites that are innervated by the affected nervous structures. In this article, we consider the causes of sciatica sciatica nerve, the main manifestations of this disease and the principles of its treatment.
The most common cause of the inflammatory process in the sciatic nerve is osteochondrosis in the lumbosacral spine and herniated intervertebral discs, which cause compression of the nerve roots. Rarely etiological importance is the injury or inflammatory lesions of the sacroiliac joints. Sciatica develops secondarily with internal bleeding, rheumatism, nerve irritation with tumors, sometimes it occurs in the presence of gynecological diseases or diabetes. Causes of inflammation of the sciatic nerve can also become various infections, including influenza and tuberculosis.
In addition, this pathology develops against the background of the narrowing of the spinal canal, which is most often observed in the elderly, in whom the spine joints expand and the nerve roots that exit the spinal cord contract. With the development of spondylolistosis( a pathological condition in which the vertebrae slip in relation to each other), irritation of the nerve endings that form the sciatic nerve is also observed, therefore, pain can be removed only if the pathological changes in the spine are corrected.
It should be said that the disease can develop after a banal hypothermia, physical overload and muscle spasm. Less often the defeat of the sciatic nerve is provoked by thrombi, abscesses, Lyme disease, fibromyalgia or Reiter's syndrome.
It should also be noted that pinch of the sciatic nerve can be observed during pregnancy, especially in later terms. This is usually due to the weakness of the muscles and ligaments around the spine, which in this period have a heavy load. Often sciatica in pregnant women develops due to chronic constipation. In this case, there is a syndrome of pear-shaped muscle, which is localized under the gluteus maximus muscle and, with overstrain, compresses the sciatic nerve, provoking its inflammation.
Signs of neuritis of the sciatic nerve
The disease develops suddenly or is characterized by gradual development. Since there are a lot of reasons for its development, the clinical picture is also quite diverse. The main manifestation is pain syndrome. Unpleasant sensations are localized in the lower back, sometimes go over to the buttocks and legs, reaching to the toes of the feet. Pain has a shooting character, in some cases, patients complain of burning or tingling, as well as numbness or crawling of "goosebumps."Attacks of the pain syndrome often alternate with periods of calm and complete disappearance of complaints. Patients at the same time try to treat people's remedies, provoking the progression of the disease.
It is worth noting that pain, as a rule, occurs in one limb, but sometimes it passes over to the other leg. The pain syndrome can be so intense that it does not allow the patient to make the slightest movement. In clinical practice, also record the course of the disease, when the priority symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation are numbness of the legs and a decrease in their sensitivity. As a result, some muscle groups become weak and can partially atrophy. Patients in this case it is difficult to bend the lower leg or raise the foot.
Because the sciatic nerve is closely related to other peripheral nerve endings that are responsible for the operation of the internal organs, with an active inflammatory process, urinary or fecal incontinence may occur. This should be taken into account when determining the amount of therapy and clarifying the question of what and how to treat the patient.
Urgent consultation with a neurologist follows with the following symptoms:
- significant increase in body temperature against a background of a pain attack;
- hyperemia of the skin of the back and the appearance of edema in the lumbar region;
- appearance of a new localization of pain;
- marked numbness of the legs or pelvic region;
- incontinence of urine and faeces.
To determine how to treat the neuritis of the sciatic nerve, it is necessary to find out its etiology and, if possible, eliminate all factors that may provoke the development of the disease. To clarify the diagnosis, attention is drawn to the presence of typical complaints, and also conduct a comprehensive examination, which includes the following:
- clinical and biochemical analyzes;
- examination of a neurologist, rheumatologist, vertebrologist, sometimes a vascular surgeon;
- X-ray examination with images in several projections;
- CT or MRI;
These studies help to find out what to do in order to relieve pain and to eliminate inflammation as soon as possible.
It should be noted that neurological examination usually reveals a number of specific symptoms. Among them it is necessary to name:
- a symptom of planting - it is difficult for a patient to sit down if the lower extremity is unbent. Adopt a sitting position, he can only after bending his leg in the knee joint;
- a symptom of Lasega - in a lying position it is difficult to raise an unbent leg due to muscle spasm;
- symptom of Sikar - when the patient flexes the foot in the rear direction, it marks a more intense pain syndrome.
In addition, with palpation, the doctor can detect hypotension and flabbiness of the muscles of the affected limbs, weakening of the Achilles tendon reflex, and on examination - a significant omission of the gluteal fold on the side of the inflammatory process.
Treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation with pharmacological drugs
Medical therapy is practically the same as that used for inflammation of nerve roots in other segments of the spinal cord. Since this pathology is characterized by severe pain syndrome, strong painkillers are prescribed to alleviate the condition of the patient. In addition, can recommend the use of anticonvulsants and tricyclic antidepressants. These drugs block pain signals from the inflamed nerve to the brain, and also promote a more active synthesis of endorphins( due to the ability to reduce pain, these compounds are also called natural pain medications).
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have a pronounced analgesic effect. The most commonly used diclofenac, indomethacin, ibuprofen, ketorolac. Despite their effectiveness, drug treatment with these drugs should be limited, because with their long reception there is irritating effect on the gastric mucosa, a negative effect on kidney function and blood clotting.
To prevent such complications, topical drugs are recommended, the use of which excludes negative systemic effects on the body. As a rule, ointments of irritating action are used, which eliminate pain, reduce spasm of muscles and improve blood circulation in affected areas. In most cases apply finalgon, viprosal, naphthalene or verapine. In addition, neuralgia of the sciatic nerve requires the appointment of muscle relaxants, vitamin complexes, drugs that improve metabolic processes.
In severe cases, oral or topical administration of drugs does not give the desired effect. To eliminate the severe pain syndrome and inflammation appoint injections of hormonal drugs. The course of treatment with steroids should be short, because these drugs, even with parenteral administration, give many side effects.
Non-pharmacologic therapy of neuritis of the sciatic nerve
Treatment of this pathology should be carried out in a complex manner. Positive results give fizioprotsedury. Apply warming up, background and electrophoresis. The combination of pharmacological treatment and physiotherapy significantly improves the patient's condition and helps to quickly eliminate pathological manifestations of the disease.
It is worth remembering that any manipulations are allowed only after the acute symptoms subsided. This also applies to warming compresses, which are often used by patients themselves at home, worsening the further prognosis of sciatic nerve damage.
After stihaniya inflammatory manifestations are recommended to undergo a course of massage. This allows you to reduce pain, improve conduction of the affected nerve structures, improve lymph and blood circulation. In addition, massage is an excellent preventive tool that prevents the development of muscle hypotrophy. Mud therapy and reflexotherapy are also useful.
Non-drug therapy includes exercise therapy. The simplest exercises and stretch marks give a positive effect, but remember that all movements should be smooth and slow. Only in this case gymnastics will have a positive impact. When exacerbating the disease, exercise is prohibited. In this case, appoint a bed rest and restrict physical activity to the abatement of inflammation.
With a timely diagnosis and properly selected treatment, the prognosis of the neuritis of the sciatic nerve is favorable.
Sciatic Nerve Inflammation: Pathology Study
As proved, the sciatic nerve is the largest nervous process of the human body, the morbid state of which is associated with the progression of sciatica. So, inflammation of the sciatic nerve can manifest itself in different ways: some patients experience severe back pain, which sometimes hinders living and brings complete discomfort;other patients constantly complain of back pain and anemia of the lower extremities, while others suffer from constant tingling in the thigh area. It is practically impossible to predict painful foci, therefore patients try to adapt to the constant presence of pain syndrome and rather to cure this unpleasant disease.
What is the cause of this ailment? Many people think that the sciatica nerve infection is similar to the intervertebral hernia, but its characteristic causes are hypothermia, joint inflammation, pathogenic infections, the presence of diabetes, as well as all injuries and diseases associated with the spine.
It is necessary to find out signs of sciatica nerve inflammation. The first and most important indicator, which indicates the presence of the above-described disease, is a sharp pain, varying in intensity and duration, but prevailing in the lumbosacral region and gradually shifting to the buttocks, the inner surface of the thigh, then the shin and at the end of the foot. But it should be noted that this pain syndrome is quite manageable, because when changing physical load it can subside and move slightly from the given trajectory. Sometimes such pains simply intercept the breathing and visibly bind the entire body, and sometimes they are replaced by an unbearable burning sensation mainly in the waist, which does not allow either sitting or lying. Inflammation of the sciatic nerve can be expressed by periodic cramps when tapping in the sacrum, as well as a sharp pain in the lower back when you lift both legs.
To determine visually the given disease is rather inconvenient, here it is necessary a roentgen and a number of laboratory researches of a spinal liquid in which at an aggravation of a pathology the increased parameter of cellular elements will be observed. This analysis determines the presence of the disease, but the X-ray can also reveal the immediate cause of the unforeseen exacerbation.
Once the diagnosis is established, the question arises, how to treat sciatica inflammation? This question should be addressed to the leading specialist, since the process of recovery completely depends on the scheme of productive treatment. Unequivocally, a complex approach is required here, proceeding from the stage of the progression of the disease, its cause and the characteristics of the diseased organism. In acute stages, the doctor recommends a strict bed rest with a conservative treatment, which combines the use of various medications that show analgesic, decongestant, anti-inflammatory, resolving and calming effects, taking a vitamin and mineral complex and performing physiotherapy appropriate to the indications, which includes gymnastics, hydrotherapy,massage. If the pain becomes unbearable, the doctor recommends the implementation of a complex of novocain blockades with an admixture of vitamin B12 and corticosteroid hormones. At home, alcoholic tinctures are also used to warm the foci of pathology.
However, if conservative treatment does not give its "fruits", then it is necessary to think about a surgical method that allows us to radically eliminate the obvious underlying cause that caused sciatic nerve inflammation. But such a method is used only as a last resort, when all other methods are absolutely powerless.
How to treat sciatica inflammation: the most effective ways to combat nerve inflammation
The nervous system of the spine is associated with every organ of the human body. Therefore, it is the cause of pain in different parts of the human body. The pain that occurs due to inflammation of the sciatic nerve is not experienced by everyone.
Perhaps a person might never know the nature of this pain. However, no luck, because the pain is so strong that it is impossible to walk or sit. All movements are accompanied by unbearable pain and severe discomfort.
How to know the disease
Sciatica is the inflammation of the largest nerve in the human body .Signs of the disease are the strongest acute pains that begin in the sacrum, go into the buttocks, the back of the thighs and give to the foot. In this case, both legs can hurt at once.
It is not possible to combat the symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation without treatment. Although some patients manage to avoid severe form, and the disease is more or less calm. A person can experience discomfort, pain more like burning and tingling.
Another luck is less, and the state of inflammation prevents a person from sleeping, moving with difficulty, and sitting - impossible. It comes down to the fact that a person paralyzes from pain.
A characteristic sign of inflammation is that the pain occurs at times .During the year there may be only 2-3 attacks. Therefore, it is difficult to diagnose this disease.
To make the correct diagnosis is also hindered by the fact that the patient himself does not understand what is the primary source of pain. It may seem to him that the shin or foot is hurting, although the whole reason lies in the lumbosacral department.
Another alarm is the temperature increase. Often the temperature against the background of muscle weakness and pain is incorrectly perceived by the patient, and he tries to bring down the temperature and eliminate such unpleasant symptoms with the help of anesthetics.
What can cause inflammation of
The main is caused by the formation of the intervertebral hernia , the cause of sciatica inflammation. However, sciatica can arise in connection with other events:
- If the trauma of nerve endings of the vertebrae has been transferred;
- It happens that the inflammation of the nerve begins because of birth trauma;
- Women may experience sciatica on the background of gynecological diseases, when nerve roots are restrained;
- The cause may also be viral or toxic nerve damage;
- Diseases such as arthritis, diabetes, various tumors and other diseases of the spine may well be the cause of inflammation, as in the case with the concept of adipes on the body, whose causes are similar.
The picture on the left shows how the inflamed sciatic nerve looks.
To find out the cause and correctly diagnose is the main task of the doctor to prescribe effective treatment. And, as always, we advise you to closely monitor the state of hormones, especially know the testosterone rate in women. In fact from an overabundance of this or that hormone of envy much in our organism.
How to approach the treatment of
correctly Do not expect that the pain will pass by itself. Until there is treatment, the disease periodically return. And the longer the patient refuses treatment, the more frequent seizures will occur.
As mentioned above, you should prescribe the treatment only after the correct diagnosis, because the manifestations of the disease have many similar symptoms with other diseases.
Ways of treatment are many: from traditional medicine to traditional methods. And it is better to approach the problem in a comprehensive way, apply all methods for treating sciatica.The main rule in the treatment will be the refusal of physical exertion. Compresses and warming can not be carried out, because this can lead to edema and cause deterioration.
Treatment Scheme for Sciatic Nerve Inflammation
Following these rules, you will surely recover:
- A clear mode is set, which the patient must observe. It is necessary to limit your activity and avoid physical exertion;
- It is very right to appoint sessions of manual therapy, acupuncture and massage;
- Treatment physical exercises are prescribed, which are aimed at restoring damaged nerve endings;
- The doctor prescribes medications that relieve inflammation and pain;
- If treatment with the listed methods does not give positive dynamics, then one must resort to surgical intervention, but this is an extreme case.
But even such harmless at first glance products have their contraindications. For example, in one of the articles we wrote about the symptoms of increased acidity of the stomach, in the identification of which it is worthwhile to see a doctor. The main thing to remember is that if you have any doubts about your health, you should first consult with a specialist!
Use of medicines
A neurologist doctor prescribes a course of medical treatment for sciatica nerve inflammation. With his help, the patient manages to get rid of the pain and reduce the inflammation of the nerve. Each patient is selected medicines based on his reaction to different components of drugs. This can only be known by the attending physician, who will prescribe medicines.Along with analgesics, the doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory nonsteroidal drugs .They relieve the inflammation of the nerve, and the patient's condition improves significantly. However, long-term use of these drugs can cause cardiovascular failure. Therefore, it is necessary to adhere exactly to the reception scheme.
To reduce the risk of heart and stomach problems when taking anti-inflammatory drugs, the doctor can also prescribe inhibitors that block the side effects of the drugs against inflammation.
Nyxes as a method of local therapy
Effective therapy in the treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation - injections. Although many believe that this is an extreme measure, but positive results make injections an indispensable tool for sudden exacerbations, when it is required to urgently remove the symptom.
Treatment with injections is done by the method of lumbar puncture .When using this method, the drug acts locally in the area of the sore spot, which leads to the greatest effectiveness in treatment.
Therefore, you should not be afraid of using injections. On the contrary, in addition to high results, there will not be any side effects that occur with drug treatment.The main thing to remember is that the doctor must also prescribe the injections. Otherwise, you can hurt!
Treatment of pain with ointments
For some reason it is believed that the patient himself can use this method of treatment and prescribe himself rubbers with sciatica inflammation.
Ointments with sciatica are a fairly good method of treatment. With their help, you can relieve the pain and reduce the inflammatory process. Some ointments contain at the heart bee venom, which is an excellent warming agent.However, ointment can cause allergies or swelling. Therefore it is necessary to consult with the attending physician who will give recommendations on the dosage.
How to properly massage
Massage with sciatica is an excellent method for relieving pain. It also significantly improves muscle tone.
Massage is also considered passive gymnastics, so using it in therapy is very effective.
Procedures are carried out on a flat, firm surface on which the patient lies. Begin a massage from the back, massage the lumbosacral section, where the pain begins. Next, go down to the buttocks, coccyx, then the back of the thigh and lower leg.
Movements should be neat. You should avoid pressing on the muscles, which are already aching. When massage is better to use ointments and gels.
In general, massage is an excellent way to prevent various diseases. For many, it has long been an important component of a healthy lifestyle.
But, like all other methods, massage is not able to independently relieve the disease. Only an integrated approach can remove sciatica inflammation in the shortest possible time.
Video about the signs and treatment of sciatica nerve
This video will help you cope with the disease quickly and easily.
And this story from E. Malysheva will tell you what to do if the pain "shoots".
The main symptoms of sciatica nerve
The variety of causes of sciatica inflammation predetermines the difference in the symptoms of the disease. The main common symptom is pain, and such symptoms as fever, weakness, give a clue about the infectious or viral cause of exacerbation of sciatica. In chronic osteoarthritis, destruction of the joint bag, displacement of the discs, intervertebral hernia is characterized by sharp relapses with pronounced shooting pain, which gradually descends the leg to the knee, and then to the foot.
Constant aching, periods of burning pain in the resting position at the initial stage of the illness subsides. If you do not start treatment in a timely manner, the inflammatory process will not disappear anywhere: the symptoms may weaken slightly by moving down the leg. Numbness of the limbs, tingling, while the absence of pain in the loin - symptoms of neglected sciatica, untimely treatment of which sometimes leads to the need for surgical intervention.
What to do and how to treat sciatica
Symptoms or the first signs of the disease - an occasion to always contact a specialist. It is necessary to make an accurate diagnosis, because the characteristics of treatment will depend on the identified causes of sciatica nerve inflammation. An x-ray or computer tomogram, an MRI or an electroneuromyography will help to establish exactly what is caused by sciatica.
Simultaneously, a neurologist examines the degree of sciatica nerve injury by performing special tests for motor reflexes:
- Achilles tendon,
- of the knee joint,
- tests for the presence of Lassen's symptoms( pain on the hindleg and calf when climbing up and down an even foot), BonnetThe same procedure, only the leg is raised by the doctor).
Comparing the symptoms, finding out the cause of the disease, the degree of nerve endings and the neglect of inflammation, the specialist prescribes a comprehensive treatment that includes:
- Assignment of a complex of physical exercises, massages and special therapy.
- Physiotherapy and Radiology( in rare cases).
- Homeopathic treatment. Special homeopathic ointments, creams help to remove the pain symptom, reduce inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
- Folk remedy.
Than to treat an inflammation of the sciatic nerve? The first help with a sharp exacerbation of sciatica will be pain medication:
- derivatives with a pronounced directionality of action:
- tempalgin - the symptoms of pain subsided as a result of the action of Teppidin - a mild tranquilizer;
- sedalgin - codeine and paracetamol are invigorating to the nervous system, relieving inflammation of the nerve roots;
- baralgin - antispasmodics in the composition remove the muscle inflammation, removing spasm of the sciatic nerve;
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs) - tablets, injections for severe pain, ointments -
- Diclofenac( tablets) - anesthetize and relieve inflammation, pain, swelling. The injections with sciatic nerve inflammation of this drug are more effective, but the degree of influence of side effects on the liver and kidneys is increased. Therefore, intramuscularly, intravenously, they are appointed by a doctor with a minimum interval of 12 hours.
- Movalis is a very powerful drug that quickly removes the symptoms of pain. Operatively reduces inflammation of the sciatic nerve. The presence of significant side effects causes the taking of tablets under the supervision of a doctor for no more than 5 days.
- Ibuprofen, Nise, Nurofen is an NSAID with a less pronounced effect. They are good because they affect the peripheral nervous system, removing inflammation, and muscles - relaxing and cleaning spasms.
- Corticosteroids - are prescribed with prolonged non-relieving pain symptoms. These are hormonal drugs that relieve swelling, inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
Pregnant women doctor will recommend a special treatment for sciatica nerve inflammation. Admission of most drugs during this period adversely affects the health of the future mother and child, therefore, without consulting with a doctor, the use of medicines is strictly prohibited. The most sparing medicine will be painkillers - candles. Homeopathy will also become one of the possible and safe options for treatment.
The acute period of sciatic nerve inflammation in most cases lasts from 5 to 10 days. At this time, it is necessary to ensure a reduction in physical activity and rest to the lumbosacral spine, in other words, more in a horizontal position, preferably on a solid orthopedic surface. Symptom cessation is not a reason for increasing sports loads.
The neuropathologist determines the time when it is possible to start treatment of chronic sciatica with therapeutic exercises and physical exercises. Based on the identified causes of sciatica nerve inflammation, symptoms of manifestation, the physiotherapist develops a special program. For pregnant women, it is compiled by a medical commission, which necessarily includes a gynecologist, a physician, a physiotherapist. Useful will be yoga, pilates, swimming.
Massage and reflexotherapy
The use of massage as a method of treatment, with acute symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation, is very accurate: stroking and gentle rubbing. When the pain subsides, you can apply more intensive techniques - kneading and patting. A good help will be essential oils and warming ointments. The result will be an improvement in the flow of blood to the strangulated nerve endings, relieving the constriction, muscle spasms, stimulating the production of endorphins, and reducing edema.
Methods of reflexotherapy - acupuncture, manual dentistry - remove pain symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation. Long-term treatment with needles( up to 3 months) can not only remove the manifestation of the disease, but also cope for a long time with the causes of its aggravation. Oncology, skin lesions, pregnancy - contraindications to the use of this type of therapy.
In some cases, manifestations of symptoms of sciatica, when NSAIDs and analgesics do not work, the doctor prescribes novocain blockades. This drug blocks nerve impulses of the sciatic nerve, removing the symptoms of inflammation. Nervous behavior( agitation or apathy), the inability to move, the sensation of pain, both standing and lying, are the grounds for prescribing an anesthetic blockade.
How to remove inflammation with folk remedies
Warmer ointments can help relieve sciatica nerve at home. Turpentine, camphor ointment, beeswax - will perfectly warm the inflamed place, improve the flow of blood to the nerve endings, remove the spasm. Tincture on red pepper and vodka, used as a compress, improves the conductivity of the sciatic nerve and promotes the production of hormones - endorphins. Herbal infusions of calendula, horsetail, thyme and viburnum( 2 tablespoons) should be boiled for half a liter of water and taken in a cool form every day 3 times a day for 100 ml before meals.
Prevention of pinch or inflammation of the nerve
Strong back muscles are a pledge of sciatic nerve health and the ability to avoid relapse of the disease. Medical gymnastics and moderate exercise, yoga, pilates will be an effective means of preventing sciatica. Smooth back and slender posture during movement, in a sitting position during the day - the basis of a healthy spine and the absence of inflammation of the nerve processes.
At the first symptoms, a previous occurrence of a seizure, women should give up their heels. Swimming on the back, treatment with aqua aerobics will strengthen the muscles of the back. Subcooling is another friend of radiculitis, arthrosis and sciatica. Warm weather clothing, closed waist and warm feet are important conditions for prevention of sciatica.
To which doctor to consult for diagnosis of sciatica
To determine the symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation, to conduct a diagnosis and find out the cause of the disease will help a neurologist or neurologist. When prescribing treatment, you may need a consultation:
- gynecologist - if the patient is pregnant;
- surgeon, orthopedist - when there is a question about surgical intervention;
- physiotherapist - with the appointment of physiotherapy.
Video: Unlocking the sciatic nerve
Special gymnastics will help relieve tension in the lumbar spine, reduce the burden on the sciatic nerve. As prevention of sciatica, individual exercises of yoga unblock the strangulated nerve endings, strengthen the muscles of the back, buttocks, legs. To perform, you will need a gym mat and a desire to restore health. Most elements of gymnastics are performed lying on the back or in the "cat" position. Look at our video and repeat the instructor's set of movements. In a week you will note the absence of discomfort in the region of the waist.
Anna Vasilyeva, 38 years old: Pain in the lower back has been troubling for the past five years. Night rest, sleep on the back brought relief always. I am engaged in fitness, therefore I could not and think of a possible attack of sciatica. Two months ago I woke up at night from sharp, shooting pain. In the morning she anointed the waist with warming ointment and went to work. As a result, I went to the hospital. The doctor diagnosed a herniated intervertebral disc. The treatment was long: the blockade, ibufen took off the pain. Then a month of acupuncture and sanatorium treatment. The symptoms are gone. I wear footwear without a heel, I am engaged in medical gymnastics on fitbole.
Igor Sergeyevich, 60 years old: Last month I went fishing with my friends and strongly froze. A couple of days later I felt that I can not move my left foot normally. The loins did not hurt, so I did not pay attention to the symptoms, I thought - stretching the ligaments. When the leg became more and more dumb, and a burning sensation appeared in the lower back, he turned to the therapist. He directed me to a neurologist. The inflammation of the sciatic nerve was determined. Diclofenac and UHF heating were also helpful. Now I go to massage sessions. I feel better, but with long walking there is still discomfort.
Alina, trainer in artistic gymnastics, 29 years old: At the age of 15 there was a spinal injury - fell from a log. The result was the displacement of the vertebrae. The young organism quickly recovered, but for life there were periodic attacks of pain in the back and a pinch of the sciatic nerve. For prevention, twice a year I go to a "spinal" sanatorium. Ozokerite baths, mud cures, massages do not give rise to pain. If the seizures, and for all the time was two, very strong, the doctor prescribes a blockade and treatment with corticosteroids, tk.other drugs do not help.
Sciatic Nerve Inflammation: Symptoms and Treatment
Sciatic nerve inflammation is called sciatica, lumbosacral radiculitis. With it, the roots of the lumbosacral spinal cord are affected. The sciatic nerve is the longest in the human body. Its beginning is in the region of the waist, then the nerve passes through the coccyx, along the back surface of the pelvis and both legs, reaches the feet. Therefore sciatic nerve can become inflamed even in completely healthy people.A new look at the treatmentAs the former "hard worker" was able to get rid of arthritis and osteochondrosis for a month. .. More. ..
Pain in this disease and loss of sensitivity affects not only the lumbar region, but it can also spread throughout the sciatic nerve. Inflammation of the sciatic nerve is not a separate disease. It is always a symptom of another disease.
Main causes of sciatica nerve
- The most common reason for the appearance of sciatica is a herniated intervertebral disc.
- Also, stenosis of the spinal canal leads to this diagnosis.
- Pear-shaped muscle syndrome. With it there is a stretching or irritation of the sciatic nerve with a pear-shaped muscle.
- Complete or partial displacement of the intervertebral disc, which pinches the sciatic nerve.
- Damage to pelvic organs or pelvic floor muscles.
- Infections of the pelvic cavity.
- Osteochondrosis also promotes the inflammation of the sciatic nerve. With such a disease, the intervertebral discs change and become overgrown with bone growths, which can provoke compression or irritation of the nerve roots of the sciatic nerve.
- Among the more rare causes that cause inflammation of the sciatic nerve, are called: Reiter's syndrome, Lyme disease, thrombus, tumor, abscess.
Features of the manifestation of the disease
The causes of sciatica are diverse, therefore the symptoms and signs of sciatica inflammation can vary greatly for each person. The pain can be shooting, tingling, burning, there may be a feeling of crawling creepy. Periods of pain can also be very different, there are generally painless periods.
Sometimes the pain manifests itself in the lower back and can spread further along the entire length of the sciatic nerve, reaching the fingertips. And sometimes in the lower back there are no painful sensations, only there are unpleasant sensations in the lower leg, thigh, foot. It can only appear in the toes. More often, only one limb is affected in sciatic nerve inflammation, but there are cases when both legs are affected. Pain should not be tolerated, it must be removed, because it will only become stronger. In neglected cases, painful symptoms become painful and violent, especially when they are inconsistent with bending, walking, turning. Sometimes pains prevent you from standing, sitting, lying, making simple movements.
The main symptoms of the disease
The symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation include pain, which usually manifests itself on one side. Thus from the opposite party there is a numbness which sometimes is replaced by pricking. Sometimes both legs can be involved in the process at once. Pain sensations vary in intensity.
At the beginning of the disease, the pain is weak and aggravated by physical activity, sneezing, coughing, and laughter. If it is not treated, then as the inflammation builds up, unpleasant sensations are constantly present, become stronger at night. A person can wake up at night from bouts of pain. In severe cases, the patient can not move because of severe pain.
Such a disease as an inflammation of the sciatic nerve, the symptoms is very diverse. Manifestations of it may be quite different. In some people, the disease develops gradually, others can be twisted at a time. Most often this occurs after a traumatic spinal injury. Sharp pain will be facilitated by simple leap, weight lifting, awkward sharp movement.
The disease can progress more slowly if the cause of sciatica was chronic infection, trauma, physical work. In this case, the development of seizures contribute to side effects, such as severe hypothermia. Sometimes sciatica can stop for a long time, until any reasons cause its rapid development.
If any symptoms appear, you need to contact a neurologist. He will conduct a general examination, ask about the nature and intensity of the pain, prescribe treatment. With sciatica, there is a decrease in the mobility of the soles of the feet, knee joints, pains increase when trying to raise the straightened leg upward, neurological reflexes are abnormal or weakened. To make an accurate diagnosis, a biochemical blood test is required, and a general blood test is also performed. Also confirm the diagnosis will help X-rays in different projections( standing and lying), as well as MRI.In some cases, it is required to visit a vertebrologist, a vascular surgeon, a rheumatologist, they will help cure the disease.
It is urgent to visit a doctor if the following symptoms appear:
- temperature increased to 38 degrees,
- pain grasps all new areas of the body,
- strongly numb the pelvic region, also the thighs and legs, which significantly hinders walking,
- with urination causes a burning sensation, with time, there may be a problem with urine retention andfeces.
Treatment of sciatica is necessary individually. It all depends on the clinical manifestations, the cause and severity of the disease. To begin with, in the period of acute pain, the patient must limit mobility, lie on a rigid mattress. Such a regimen must be observed to completely remove the inflammation. Of the drugs are mainly used muscle relaxants, vitamins, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. As a local remedy, ointments and gels are used. They relieve the symptoms of pain and eliminate muscle spasm.
As therapeutic physiotherapy procedures, electrophoresis, warming, warming compresses, phonophoresis can be done. It is useful to combine physiotherapy and medications( antispasmodics, vitamins, muscle relaxants, NSAIDs).This gives a greater effect. Massage increases the conductivity of the damaged nerve, reduces pain, improves blood flow and lymph flow.
To cure sciatica, a person needs not only medicines. Also individually selected is a set of therapeutic exercises. First, perform light exercises from the first days of diagnosis, even lying in bed. Then the load increases gradually. It would be nice to visit the pool and do gymnastics in the water. In the pool, pain and muscle spasms are relieved.
The best results are achieved with complex therapy, which uses acupuncture, manual therapy, vacuum therapy. If conservative treatment does not work, the pain symptoms increase or become chronic, severe disruption of the pelvic organs has occurred, then surgical treatment is recommended.
Also a good result gives and the use of folk remedies. It is very useful to carry out treatment with honey massage. For this, you must melt three hundred grams of honey in a water bath and gradually add 50 grams of alcohol to it in a drop. Allow the composition to cool and then rub the affected area for at least half an hour. This massage is carried out until the honey ceases to stick.
Wax treatment is also effective. It is necessary to warm up the necessary amount of wax, apply it to a sore spot, cover it with polyethylene and warm it with a downy shawl or woolen scarf. All this is best done at night, the compress is taken in the morning. After the first session, the state of health will improve significantly, and after four procedures the pain will recede completely.
Treatment of horse radish inflammation of the sciatic nerve also works well. It must be rubbed and placed in gauze. This bag is immersed in warm water in a bath. Take a bath is useful every day for 20 minutes. Also, you can simply apply this pouch to a painful place, after moistening it in warm water. Do not exceed 15 minutes to avoid burns.
You can treat the sciatic nerve with herbal balm. Take a tablespoon of celandine and a leaf of a three-year-old aloe flower. Grind and add the finely chopped pepper. All pour 250 milliliters of vodka and insist a week. This balm is rubbed into sore spots.
To prevent sciatic nerve inflammation and the need to treat it, preventive measures should be taken. It is necessary to do strengthening gymnastics, to support in a tonus muscles of a back, to supervise the bearing. If the work is sedentary, then it is necessary to get up every hour and do a small five-minute warm-up. You should avoid injuries, do not overcool, pay attention to symptoms in time and do not hesitate, contact a specialist to treat pathologies that cause sciatica inflammation.
Sciatica is a disease that can make itself felt for two or three attacks a year. That's why people do not hurry to go with him to see a doctor to cure him. It seems that he will hurt and let go. However, gradually, the inflammation begins to manifest itself more and more and considerably worsens the life of a person, it will be more difficult to treat it. And with timely access to a doctor, the treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation occurs quickly and efficiently.
Treatment of sciatica inflammation: symptoms, causes ofInflammation of the sciatic nerve with the localization of painful sensations directly into the lumbar region with their irradiation into various parts of the legs is called sciatica. A particular manifestation of sciatica is sciatica or neuralgia of the sciatic nerve. It is characterized by local inflammation of the roots of the nerve with the development of pain sensations only in the region of the lower back. Sciatica occurs mainly at the age of middle age with the same frequency among women and men. The septic nerve is one of the major nerves in the human body. It starts from the lower back with all the roots of the spinal nerves of this department and descends through the posterior surface of the pelvis, giving branches to various parts of the legs to the feet themselves. The main functions of the sciatic nerve: ensuring mobility and sensitivity of the lower extremities. Symptoms of sciatica are diverse and closely related to the localization of pathological changes.
Causes of sciatic nerve inflammationThe following are the main causes of the disease:
- 1) Nerve irritation by surrounding tissues( bones, muscles, tumor, abscess, etc.);
- 2) Concomitant diseases, including infectious diseases( diabetes, influenza, rheumatism, tuberculosis, infections in the pelvic cavity, etc.);
- 3) Nerve compression, the causes of which are:
- 4) The intervertebral hernia, which arises from the protrusion from the intervertebral disc( it serves as a lining) through the fibrous ring of its internal contents - the pulpous core. It compresses the roots of the nerve, which provokes symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation. Promotes intervertebral hernia: abnormal posture, elevation of gravity, etc.;
- 5) Change in the functioning of the sacroiliac joint, which leads to irritation of the nerve;
- 6) Osteochondrosis - in the Latin language "osteo" - bone, "chondr" - cartilage, "oz" - a non-inflammatory disease, in the basis of the pathogenesis of which there are degenerative changes affecting the tissues of the intervertebral discs. After a while, the disks change, around them are formed growths, consisting of bone tissue, which irritate the roots of the sciatic nerve;
- 7) Pear-shaped muscle syndrome, in which irritation of muscle tissue occurs, as well as a nerve located side by side. As a result of this irritation, symptoms appear that are characteristic of sciatica;
- 8) Stenosis( stenosis) of the lumen of the spinal canal at the exit point of the roots of the sciatic nerve. A similar pathology is characteristic of elderly people over the age of 60 years. The cause of stenosis is associated with the expansion of vertebral joints, excessive formation of soft tissues surrounding the spine, which compress the roots of the nerves;
- 9) Spondylolisthesis - periodic slipping of the vertebrae in relation to each other, which leads to damage to the roots of the nerve and inflammation.
Pathogenesis ofMechanisms that cause pinch of the sciatic nerve:
- 1) In the event of a mechanical trauma, neuronal damage occurs that promotes the release of inflammatory mediators;
- 2) Decreased immunity during supercooling, which leads to activation of opportunistic pathogens of attacking nerves;
- 3) Chemical agents( various poisons, medications, etc.) affect nerve cells, contributing to the disease;
- 4) Infectious disease agents( bacteria, viruses, etc.) affect the nerve with releasing toxins and create a favorable background for inflammation.
Symptoms of sciatica nervePain is the very first sign of an inflammation of the sciatic nerve. According to her feelings, her character can be different. Most often, patients complain of shooting pain along the nerve( from the waist to the leg), which occurs suddenly and just as quickly passes. At the time of an attack, as well as after it, the patient stops and is afraid to move because of a possible relapse. In addition, the pain may manifest as a burning and tingling sensation. More rarely the patient may complain of paresthesia in the form of numbness and a sense of "goose bumps".Most often, the pain is localized in the lumbar region, rarely can be felt in the buttocks, the back surface of the legs, and also in the area of the fingertips. Pain can have permanent localization, as well as migrate from one site to another. The physical load, torso, weight lifting, jump, etc. contribute to the attack. As a rule, in case of sciatica one leg or the lower half of the trunk suffers. In the absence of treatment, attacks of sciatica nerve inflammation occur more often, the symptoms increase. The patient begins to experience pain in rest, as well as during sleep. The progression of the disease is closely related to etiology. Slow progress is facilitated by chronic, sluggish infections, as well as severe, persistent physical stress, etc. Most often the disease begins with minor symptoms: mild, traumatic back pain, tensions in the legs, etc. Contribute to the onset of an acute attack of pain, hypothermia, overwork, excessivephysical activity, etc.
- 1) Edema along the entire length of the leg or in the area of large joints. It is sometimes difficult to put shoes on a damaged leg.
- 2) Spasm of the muscles of the lower extremities, especially in the buttocks and thighs.
Diagnosis of the diseaseAdditional diagnostic methods( electromyography, radiography, tomography, etc.) help to diagnose the disease to the doctor by interviewing, examination, as well as( in doubtful cases).As a rule, when you first visit the doctor for symptoms, the diagnosis of sciatica is established immediately.
Sciatic Nerve Inflammation: Treatment ofTreatment of the disease begins with a restriction of physical activity, in order to reduce the irritant effect on the nerve roots. During the exacerbation, the use of heat, for example, warmers - is contraindicated. At the first symptoms of sciatica, it is necessary to consult a neurologist who will prescribe a competent treatment for sciatica nerve inflammation. From medications as conservative treatment are prescribed painkillers, anti-inflammatory, diuretics( to eliminate edema) drugs, as well as muscle relaxants( drugs that relax the muscles).Medicines can be administered topically in the form of ointments, gels, as well as enterally( in tablets) and parenterally( in solutions in the form of injections).Radical( surgical treatment) therapy is rarely used, for example, with the intervertebral hernia. During the period of stifling symptoms of sciatica are effective: physiotherapy, exercise therapy, massage, acupuncture, vacuum therapy, etc. Prevention of recurrence of the disease after recovery is reduced to compliance with the following rules:
- 1) Reduction of physical stress on the spine and aching leg. For this purpose, including, it is recommended to get rid of excess weight;
- 2) Restrict the lifting of heavy objects, and if this is not avoided, it is recommended to lift the weights correctly, that is, squat and rise together with the load, holding it in your hands;
- 3) Move more, avoiding hypothermia;
- 4) Follow the position of the back. It is important to keep the spine straight, avoiding its curvature;
- 5) It is recommended to regularly perform a set of special exercises aimed at forming and strengthening the muscular corset around the spine.
Ways of treating sciatica nerve inflammation: DrMed.ru
One of the biggest nerves in the human body is the sciatic nerve, which extends from the toes to the lumbar region. When there is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve or sciatica in case of infringement, severe pains appear, it is not so easy to get rid of.
Causes of Sciatic Nerve Inflammation( Sciatica)
Among the causes of the inflammatory process may be latent spinal injury, inflamed joints and even diabetes mellitus. Often unpleasant painful sensations in the region of the sciatic nerve cause intervertebral hernia. In such cases, doctors recommend performing a set of special exercises for the spine, which are aimed at stretching the muscles( you can just hang a few minutes a day on the bar).
The main symptoms of sciatica
Symptoms of sciatica are severe pains in the lumbar region and sacrum. Also, pain can be felt in the hips, buttocks, back of the legs and on the edge of the foot. With significant physical exertion, painful sensations increase. It often happens that because of pain people can not walk, move and sit. Sometimes, due to a decrease in sensitivity and a feeling of tingling, the pain is not so strong, but the patient seems to be constrained in movement. With inflammation of the nerve, twitching of the bundles of the buttocks muscles can be observed, as well as severe pain in the lumbar region when the elongated legs are raised upward.
Species of sciatica
Specialists noted that there are several types of sciatica:
- Upper sciatica - the extradural part of the spine and cord is affected.
- With , the average sciatica causes plexus inflammation.
- Bottom sciatica is distinguished by a lesion of the sciatic nerve and its branches.
Methods of treatment of sciatica that are used in official medicine
Many doctors believe that sciatica can be treated successfully by combining the techniques of traditional medicine with folk remedies that, when properly applied, really give a positive result. Many modern clinics and health centers use a variety of techniques to treat sciatica.
When medication is prescribed drugs that are aimed at the removal of pain and inflammation. Such drugs as orthophene, diclofenac, ibuprofen help, but are ancillary because they relieve symptoms, and do not treat the disease itself. From this it can be concluded that the treatment of sciatica should be approached in a complex way, otherwise the disease will recede only for a while, and then the pain will return with new force, spreading to other parts of the body.
Competent complex treatment will help to defeat the disease, including not only the intake of medicines, but also physical exercise( physiotherapy needs to be supervised by a physician), physiotherapy and electroanalgesia. Also with success is used reflexotherapy( various procedures that help strengthen muscles), manual therapy, massage, hirudotherapy. When treating sciatica, it is good to prescribe water procedures, for example pearl baths, hydromassage, shower.
Traditional medicine for sciatica nerve
Combination of medical procedures of official medicine with time-tested folk remedies gives an excellent effect. Infusions and massage can relieve pain, relieve inflammation.
- Bee products. With "sciatica" make a "honey" massage. Take 300 grams of natural honey, put it in a water bath and bring to a boil. Then add to the warmed honey 50 g of alcohol( pour not all at once, but drip on a drop).The prepared mixture should cool down, after which it is possible to grind the back for twenty minutes( not less).Massage is done until the honey begins to stick and stick. You can rub the back, elbows, knees and shoulders. During the massage you need to perform light pats. Excellent and helps beeswax. The mixture for the procedure is prepared as follows: take the wax and slightly warm it to the state of elasticity. We lay a thin layer on the sore spot, from above we cover with a polyethylene film and wrap it with a warm kerchief. The procedure should be done at night, and in the morning the remnants of wax can be removed. Already after the first wax compress many patients feel relief. You need to do at least four sessions and the pain will calm down.
- Agave. We take fresh agave leaves, split them and apply them to the problem areas, covering them with a dense warm bandage.
- Oatmeal resin. Everyone likes to take warm baths, and when treating sciatica such a procedure can ease the pain. You need one kilogram of oatmeal( per bath).The procedure is done five times a week for 20-30 minutes. In the bath it is good to add a decoction of the young bark of aspen.
- Chamomile and elderberry. For the preparation of a remedy we take flowers of elderberry and chamomile and put them in a tissue bag. Then this pouch should be for a couple of seconds in boiling water and attach a "lotion" to the sore spot( keep twenty minutes).
- Balm on herbs. Prepare herbal balm is not difficult. Take a tablespoon of celandine grass, one large sheet of three-year-old scarlet, and grind. In the resulting mixture, add the bitter pepper( one pod), which is previously ground into pieces. The whole composition is poured with 250 ml of vodka, then put in a dark place and infused for seven days. Finished balm rubbing sore spots.
- Fuck. About 70 grams of horseradish should be grated, put a mixture of gauze. A small gauze pouch is put in a warm bath. Such a bath "with horseradish" can be taken every night before going to bed for twenty minutes. Another option is to use a bag of horseradish: dip into warm water and apply as a lotion to sore spots( for 15 minutes).
- Ledum rosemary. You need to take two tablespoons of herbs and pour it with vegetable oil( five spoons).The mixture is drained into a vessel, tightly closed and allowed to stand in a warm place for about 12 hours. After that, the balm needs to be cooled and filtered. Rub the prepared mixture on painful areas with sciatica.
Prophylaxis of sciatica
Prophylaxis of sciatic nerve inflammation boils down to the following:
- to prevent the development of
disease - to prevent the transition of the disease into severe form
- to reduce the manifestation of symptoms to a minimum and prevent relapse of the disease.
Preventive measures include a variety of methods aimed at strengthening the muscles of the back. You need to teach yourself to keep your back straight( work on your posture), with regular exercise, which will help strengthen your muscles. Thanks to physical therapy, a person can tolerate physical activities more easily. Avoid, if possible, lifting weights. Do not overcool! Ladies better give up shoes at too high heels. Try to move more and follow the elementary rules of a healthy lifestyle!