The role of gymnastics and other non-drug methods in sciatica
Sciatic nerve inflammation( sciatica, ischialgia) is a very common problem. If a neurologist has diagnosed you this, he will prescribe a comprehensive treatment for sciatica, which, in addition to medicines, may include non-drug methods of affecting the sciatic nerve. These include: physiotherapy, massage, yoga and therapeutic gymnastics in ischias. Although they are partially available for independent use at home, the appointment of a doctor and the determination of the cause of sciatica are mandatory. A key role in reducing the pain syndrome, preventing relapses is played by gymnastics in sciatica, as well as yoga.
When you visit a doctor, the following physical procedures are often prescribed:
- Magnetotherapy. Reduces pain, swelling and inflammation. Under the action of the magnetic field, the restoration processes in the tissues around the sciatic nerve are more active.
- Laser therapy. Anesthetizes, relieves swelling, the surrounding nerve, improves blood flow in the capillaries, speeds up metabolic processes in tissues.
- UHF.It has a warming effect, thereby improving local blood flow, reducing pain and inflammatory changes around the nerve.
- Electrophoresis. This method allows you to inject the drug directly into the tissues surrounding the nerve. Apply drugs with anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
Indications for all these techniques is the pain syndrome along the sciatic nerve.
Contraindications for all types of physical procedures are:
- stage III hypertension, hypertensive crisis, recent AMI and ONMC;
- blood diseases, especially clotting disorders;
- oncological diseases, tuberculosis, infectious diseases in acute period;
- skin and allergic diseases( if the rash is located in the area of exposure).
Gymnastics with sciatica are necessary during exacerbation and for the prevention of relapses, as physical education not only helps to relieve pain, but also affects its cause - spine pathology or muscle spasms. Doing exercises with ischialgia is necessary under the supervision of a specialist of exercise therapy( at least the first few times), then you can proceed to self-study at home.
The complex must be repeated every day, you can make two or three approaches per day. All the exercises for sciatica should be done smoothly, without jerking, to avoid nerve irritation, overstrain of the hip muscles and buttocks.
Contraindications to exercise therapy:
- exacerbation and decompensation of chronic diseases;
- purulent processes;
- high body temperature;
- marked pain along the nerve.
Basic complex of exercise therapy in sciatica
- Lying on your back, put your hands behind your head. Raise the knee to your stomach, hold it. Bend the leg, then do 8 reps with each leg.
- Sitting on the floor, put the hands next to the buttocks. Bend and unbend the knees, sliding feet on the floor. Repeat several times.
- Lying on your back, bend your knees, gently push the pelvis up. Do 20 repetitions.
- Lower the knees one by one, holding them for 5 seconds. Carry out a few repetitions for each side.
- Lying on your right side, lift your left leg and arm slightly. Pull the left knee to the stomach, hold it for a few seconds, straighten the leg. Do a few repetitions, then turn to the left side.
- Get on your knees, hands clasp in the lock. Open your arms to the sides, leaning back. Perform the exercise 15 times.
- Lying on your stomach, stretch your arms to the sides. At the same time, raise your legs and arms and slowly lower them. Perform 15 times.
- Lying on your stomach, rest your palms on the floor and push the hips upward, straightening your hands. Remain in this position for 20 seconds, drop to the floor and repeat 8 times.
- Sitting on the floor, bend your knees, hands behind your head. Twist the body alternately in both directions, delaying for 3-5 seconds. Execute 8 times.
- Leaning on your knees, bend and round your lower back with smooth movements, make at least 7 repetitions.
- Get on your knees, stretch your palm to the opposite heel, change your hand. Do a few repetitions.
- Get on your knees, put one palm on the floor. Straighten the other hand and pull it upward. Carry out 15 circular motions with your hand, change your hand.
- Stand up steadily, lean forward, dropping straight hands. Smooth movement straighten, slightly bent in the lower back and lifting his chin. Do a few repetitions.
Asanas from yoga
Alternative to exercise therapy in ischialgia can offer yoga. With a competent approach, yoga allows you to relax your muscles well.
For prevention of exacerbations of sciatica, the following asanas can be recommended:
- Sitting on the floor, transfer the right foot through the left knee. With your left hand, reach for the floor through the right knee. Stay in this position for about a minute, then follow the other side.
- Sitting on the floor, slightly bend the right leg. Lay the left heel above the right knee. Gently pull your hips to your chest. Fix this position for a couple of minutes, then repeat for the other leg.
- Make a wide step forward with your left foot, the stops are placed one behind the other. Tilting the case down, lower the right hand to the left foot. Hold this way for a few breaths and then exhale on the other side.
Yoga helps not only to relieve the strangulated sciatic nerve, but also promotes general relaxation, which is very important with sciatica. Exercises are simple enough, you will master them, even if yoga has not been familiar to you before.
Massage with nerve inflammation
Can be used both during exacerbation and with pain reduction. The contraindications are the same as for physiotherapy.
Massage with sciatica is done in the area of the waist, buttocks, hamstring, shin and foot on the side of the lesion. With severe pain massage movements are very light, stroking, so as not to irritate the nerve. When the pain subsides, you can move on to a more intense massage of the area where the sciatic nerve passes.
Technique of jar massage
Lubricate with massage oil, baby cream, loin area and buttock. Prepare a jar for massage: light a match and bring the flame inside to create a vacuum. The ready-made jar is tightly pressed against the skin of the loin where it hurts, slowly leading the jar over the skin, moving in a spiral. Thus, massage the area of the waist and the buttock on the side of the pain for about 5 minutes. The procedure should be repeated daily until the pain disappears.
Treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation medicamentally and phys.procedures
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve of the human body, its branches innervate almost the entire lower limb, ensuring the normal functioning of all anatomical formations( muscles, joints, ligaments).When pinching and squeezing, the sciatic nerve is very sore, in this case it is said that sciatica developed.
Sciatica( lumbosacral radiculitis) is inherently pain in the lumbosacral region and buttock, extending to the posterior surface of the thigh on the side of the lesion, as well as to the shin and foot. As a rule, only one side is affected. Patients complain of acute "shooting" pain in the leg, there may be numbness of the toes, a burning sensation or tingling sensations. The attack is sometimes so strongly pronounced that a person can neither walk, nor sit, nor sleep.
In inflammation of the sciatic nerve, the nerve roots of the lumbosacral plexus are primarily affected. The sciatic nerve carries both motor and sensory fibers; therefore, when it is affected, two types of disorders will be noted: motor disorders( weakness and difficulty in limb movements) and sensitivity disorders( numbness, pain, crawling, etc.).Since some branches of the sciatic nerve innervate the muscles and organs of the small pelvis, one of the most severe symptoms is a violation of the function of the pelvic organs( incontinence of urine and feces).
The cause of the appearance of such intolerable acute pain may be a lifting of the heaviness, and intervertebral hernia, and osteochondrosis, and pear-shaped muscle syndrome, etc. The intensity of pain in these diseases is different. At the same time, it always has a paroxysmal character, that is, it gradually builds up, and then subsides independently or during any movement.
Diagnosis of sciatica
Sciatica is not a diagnosis, but rather a pain syndrome, the cause of which is established by special studies. The patient must perform radiographic examination and MRI of the sacral area. Examination of this area is carried out only after preliminary cleaning of the intestine, otherwise its contents will prevent a full examination of bone structures.
Additionally, an electroneuromyography is performed to assess the condition of the muscles and the speed of the pulse. Ultrasonic dopplerography makes it possible to differentiate pains of vascular origin from neurological and vertebrogenic ones.
How to treat sciatica inflammation
Treatment of sciatica is a treatment for pain, in other words. And how can I stop the pain syndrome? Usually with vertebrogenic diseases that cause this pain, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( Ibuprofen, Diclofenac) or corticosteroids are effective with a good effect. When this treatment is ineffective, epidural blockades( novocain blockades) are resorted.
In addition, injections of vitamins B6, B12 are always prescribed.
Physiotherapy( UHF, diadynamic currents, magnetotherapy, paraffin applications, electrophoresis with drugs, iontophoresis), massage, manual therapy, acupuncture, electromyostimulation and special fixation belts are prescribed from auxiliary methods, and therapeutic gymnastics as the pain subsides.
Sciatic nerve medication is not indicated with large herniated intervertebral disc or tumor. In this case, after careful examination, the patient is offered surgical treatment( tumor removal, microdiscectomy, laminoplasty).
As with any pathology of the spine, it is recommended that active, healthy lifestyles be administered in sciatica. Be sure to regularly perform gymnastics aimed at strengthening the muscles of the back, and follow the posture. Very effective in the fight against radiculitis may be yoga, which is recommended for many diseases of the spinal column.
During work it is necessary to do small breaks for warm-up - stretch marks, to try not to lift weights and not to supercool. Women who occasionally note discomfort in the lower back should give up shoes with high heels.
Gymnastics for a pinch of the sciatic nerve
Gymnastics in the treatment of sciatica is an extremely effective way to restore lost functions. During the exercise, blood circulation increases, muscles are saturated with blood, rich in oxygen and nutrients, the metabolism is normalized and activated, and the products of inflammation decay and are eliminated from the body.
In sciatica, the following set of exercises is recommended:
- The first exercise is performed lying on the back on a hard surface( floor), legs are stretched out. It is necessary to slowly bend the legs in the knees and pull them to the chest, while the muscles of the lumbosacral region are stretched. At the maximum point we will be delayed for a minute, then we will return to the starting position.
- The second exercise is performed lying on the abdomen, arms bent at the elbows, rise to them, stretch the maximum back and stay in this position for 15 seconds. Then relax and return to the starting position.
- The third exercise is performed lying on the back. It should be, straining the muscles of the back, as much as possible pressing on the spine.
Each exercise is repeated for 10 repetitions. To prevent attacks, you should perform stretching exercises.
The best exercises for pain relief in sciaticaDo the exercises with care, so as not to worsen the situation. Walking is a kind of physical activity that does not require any preliminary training and helps to alleviate pain in sciatica.
The sciatic nerve, the longest in our body, passes from the lower back through the entire leg. Sciatica is a condition in which he is injured, which causes severe pain in the lumbar region and legs.
This is due to its pinching caused by the compression of vertebral disks. Sciatica itself is not a disease, but it is a clear symptom of diseases such as the intervertebral hernia or stenosis of the spinal canal.
When a pinch of the sciatic nerve, a person experiences pain and discomfort, which can lead to the inability to deal with their usual daily affairs, and this condition can last up to 8 weeks.
However, if during this period to take some actions and exercises, the pain may decrease, or even completely disappear, much faster.
Exercises that can be performed at home to alleviate pain in sciatica
Although often patients with sciatica prefer to rest for a day or two, the best way to combat pain in case of sciatic nerve damage is a series of correctly selected exercises and movements with which the daythe affected area is developed every day, and, thanks to this, the condition improves.
Despite the fact that complete rest can temporarily reduce painful sensations, we assure that too long immobility can only worsen this condition. For this reason, it is very important to perform exercises aimed at strengthening the back and intervertebral discs.
After the visit to the doctor, you will most likely be referred to a physiotherapist, in accordance with the severity of the problem. However, being at home, you can perform some exercises that can be very useful in order to cope with this problem.
This exercise program should include:
Muscle Strength Exercises
Exercises to strengthen the abdominal and back muscles will improve the condition of the lumbosacral spine and help with sciatica. Ideally, the patient should regularly perform low intensity exercises on strengthening and stretching. They will help to quickly remove the pain from pinching the sciatic nerve.
Exercise selection in accordance with the diagnosis of
The specialist to whom you refer will give you a training plan, depending on the underlying cause of the patient's pain, for example, a herniated disc or spinal stenosis.
In this regard, it is important that the correct diagnosis is made, since the improper exercises can only aggravate the condition of sciatica and prolong the recovery time.
Correctly selected pattern of exercises to ease pain in sciatica, regardless of its cause, should include the following stretching exercises:
- Stretching of the pear-shaped hamstrings.
- Stretches of the biceps femoris.
Exercises that help with sciatica
As we said earlier, ideally, you should perform an exercise program, matched depending on what is the cause of pain in the sciatic nerve.
Sciatica due to herniation of the intervertebral disc:
- Stretching exercises for the waist.
- Back bending exercises.
- Stretching exercises for the back.
- Twists, exercises that strengthen the abdominal muscles.
Sciatica with spinal stenosis:
- Twisting exercises on abdominal muscles.
Sciatica caused by osteochondrosis:
Low-intensity aerobic exercise
In sciatica, in addition to performing special exercises, we must also include in the program some aerobic exercises that will help improve the condition and contribute to the overall health of the body.
One of the best exercises for the lower back is walking. Only one 30 minute walk can replace one aerobic exercise. As your condition improves, you can increase aerobic exercise, for example, by riding a bicycle, jogging or walking fast.
Do not forget the
- It is very important to perform these exercises correctly, otherwise, they will not have a positive effect, and can even aggravate the problem of sciatica. We recommend that these exercises be performed under the supervision of an appropriate specialist , for example, a physiotherapist, chiropractor or rheumatologist.
- Try to keep the correct posture when walking, or in a sitting position.
- Avoid excessive consumption of calories, because their excess can aggravate the problem.
Sciatica - Sciatica nerve inflammation, characterized by sharp pain in the legs and buttock, is usually a consequence of some more complex disease and requires immediate action in the form of first aid. However, in addition to this there is another possibility and even the need to treat a sore nerve at home. It is now about the performance of a medical complex, which includes exercises for sciatica.
Therapeutic gymnastics is a very effective method of treating the neuritis of the sciatic nerve, because the performance of some stretching exercises, significantly relieves tension in the muscles around the nerve, thereby reducing pain. Regular exercise of such exercises increases blood flow, helps to quickly cope with the recovery of the sciatic nerve and improve the metabolism of the affected area.
Complex of exercises for sciatica
For the treatment of sciatica, exercises are prescribed by a doctor, depending on the degree of sciatic nerve damage and, more often, have a general strengthening effect and are aimed at improving the overall condition of the patient and in particular, relieving intense pain of the lumbosacral spine. Conventionally, for your convenience, we will divide them into several groups that differ in the way they are executed:
- lying on his back.
Put your feet shoulder width apart. Raise your right arm up( left along the body) and tilt to the left as low as possible. Change the position of the hands and bend to the right. Perform 5 slopes for each side. After resting a little, do 1 more approach. Sit
Sit on a chair and cross your legs. The back is maximally straight. Put your hands behind your head and start slowly rotating the case alternately left / right. Perform 5 times in each direction, after which you pause. After resting, change the position of the legs and again perform the exercise.
Sitting on the floor, legs stretched forward, with arms at shoulder level spread out to the sides. Try, while remaining in this position to get your hands, as far as possible back. It is very important to carry out movements very smoothly, without sharp jerks, after performing 5 to 6 attempts.
Get on your knees, lifting your straight arms and clasping your fingers. Now slowly tilt forward, stretching slightly to reach a greater distance in front of you. Then go back to the starting position.
Lying on the back
Lying on the floor, pull your knees to your chest, while holding your buttocks. Remain in this position for about 30 seconds, and then straighten up, taking the starting position. This exercise is carried out 10 times.
Lying on one side, bend your knees, pulling them as close to you as possible, then straighten up again. Perform 10 times, diligently pulling the socks. Exercise is just perfect for warming up the muscles of all parts of the spine.
Lie on your back. Grab your left knee with your hands and pull it as slowly as possible towards the opposite shoulder. Hold in this position, counting to 8, and then return to the starting position. Do the same with the left foot.
Lying on your back, bend your knees and, pressing your spine to the floor, strain your back muscles. Hold for 30 seconds, then relax and return to the starting position.
For back pain. Lying on his back bend his knees, leaning his feet on the floor and folded his arms over his chest. Slowly lift the torso until the shoulders come off the floor. While performing this exercise it is important to keep an eye on breathing: inhalation - on the rise, exhalation when returning to the starting position. The recommended number of times to complete is 15.
Turn over on the stomach. Lean on your hands. Now, unbending elbows, lift the body, maximally stretching your back. Keep your feet still. It is recommended to begin with 5 times, gradually increasing the number of "push-ups".Hold in the upper position for 30 seconds.
Sciatica - distinguishes an unexpected attack of pain, therefore, in order to prevent neuritis of the sciatic nerve should perform gymnastics daily, with a gradual increase in the load. Swimming in the pool, running and biking will be an excellent assistant in the fight against sciatic nerve problems.
Treatment of sciatica
Illness of sciatica is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve, accompanied by pains in the lower back, buttock, and also along the entire leg. Most often, pain occurs only in one leg, but sometimes pain in both extremities is possible. When walking and exercise, the pain intensifies. The disease is manifested by pain in the legs and a violation of their sensitivity. Also, there are violations of the motor activity of the legs. Symptoms have different localization, duration and severity. For sciatica, paroxysmal pain sensations are typical when severe attacks of pain alternate with a temporary lull.
Causes of the disease
The main cause of sciatica are various diseases of the spine. But the cause can be and infringement of a nerve a tumor, toxic or a virus lesion of a nerve. Therefore, in order for the prescribed treatment to be correct and effective, it is necessary to undergo an appropriate examination. First of all, an x-ray and magnetic resonance imaging or a computer tomography of the lumbar sacral department are prescribed. The results of these studies allow us to determine the causes of pathology and, accordingly, to begin the necessary treatment.
In order for the treatment of sciatica to be effective, simultaneous treatment of the symptoms and the cause of the disease is necessary. To remove pain, during the treatment of sciatica, non-steroid drugs with anti-inflammatory effects are used: Diclofenac, Orthofen, Ibuprofen, etc. Many patients are prescribed a set of physiotherapeutic procedures that also have a positive effect on inflammation and reduce pain.
Recently the following conservative methods of treatment have become more popular:
- Manual therapy;
- Stimulation of muscles by means of electrical impulses;
- Systematic wearing of fixing belts.
These techniques significantly improve the effectiveness of treatment. The only drawback of these methods is the fact that if the sciatica is caused by a tumor or a hernia, then they are ineffective and only surgical intervention can give a positive result.
Along with the medical treatment of sciatica, many patients resort to folk methods. And there are a lot of such methods. We list the most common folk remedies for the treatment of sciatica.
- Very effective rubbing the sore spot badger or bear fat.
- Useful baths from the infusion of pine shoots. For the preparation of infusion it is necessary to pour one kilogram of steep boiling water in a ratio of 1: 3 and boil for 10 minutes under a closed lid, and then insist 4 hours. Infusion strain and take baths in a ratio of 1:15 liters at a temperature of 35-37 ° C.The duration of such a procedure should be about 15 minutes.
- Very effective folk recipe - compresses of beeswax. Wax is heated in a water bath. The affected area is rubbed with propolis or St. John's wort oil, and then a melted wax is applied using a wide brush. First you need to choose the temperature that the patient can withstand. After applying the wax, compress the blanket and leave until completely cooled. This method, like the compress of stearin, allows you to conduct sciatica treatment for 2 days.
But it is worth remembering that before you start treatment of sciatica at home, it is necessary to consult a doctor and establish the real cause of the disease. After all, if the disease is caused, for example, by a tumor, then folk methods will not only be ineffective, but may provoke worsening. With sciatica, as with other diseases, self-medication is quite dangerous and risky. How long the sciatica is treated depends, first of all on the cause of its appearance. The disease caused by inflammatory processes as a result of hypothermia is treated much faster and easier than sciatica provoked by tumors and pinching.
Physical exercises and gymnastics
In addition to drug treatment and traditional medicine, exercises should be performed that will not only help to get rid of the pain, but also improve the blood flow to the sore spot. It is very effective in the treatment of sciatica is gymnastics. It improves the metabolism in the body, and consequently accelerates the process of recovery. Therapeutic exercises for sciatica include the following exercises:
- From the supine position( the surface must be rigid), slowly pull up the knees to the chest. In this position, stay for about 30 seconds, and then again slowly return the legs to the horizontal position. Do the exercise 10 times.
- Turn over on the stomach, focus on bent elbows and maximally pull back for 15 seconds. Then completely relax. Repeat this exercise 10 times.
- Lying on the back to bend his legs in the knees, feet to rest on the floor. Then each leg, alternately, pull up to the chest and hold in this position for a few seconds. Repeat the exercise for each leg 4-5 times.
All exercises must be done smoothly and without jerking. It is best to perform therapeutic physical culture with sciatica under the supervision of a doctor. Do it yourself should be very careful. For people with diabetes, these exercises are contraindicated.
Treatment of sciatica along with other diseases
Causing severe pain in the back can not only sciatica, but also a disease like lumbago. With this disease, painful sensations are more intense, since not only the nerve but also the adjacent ligaments and muscles are affected. The process of treatment of lumbago and sciatica has a number of differences. If sciatica can be cured with the help of conservative methods, then lumbago treatment by medicamentous method is ineffective. Most often resort to surgical interventions. Very often sciatica occurs during pregnancy. This is due to the fact that an ever-growing fetus increases the load on the spine. Get rid of sciatica completely, until delivery does not happen, because it provokes it is the position of the fetus in the uterus. But you can significantly reduce pain. To do this, the future mother should sleep on a hard surface, follow the posture and wear the right shoes( on a flat sole, or with a stable heel not exceeding 3 cm).Will be useful massage and therapeutic gymnastics. Only before this it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Prevention of disease
Modern medicine can effectively treat a large number of different diseases. But the best option was and is to prevent these very diseases. This also applies to sciatica. The most effective preventive measures are measures aimed at strengthening the muscles of the back. It is very important to maintain proper posture. Regular moderate exercise also positively affects the spinal muscles. Following these simple tricks, you can never ask in the future questions about how to treat sciatica or how to relieve pain in sciatica. After all, preventive measures are always more acceptable than the treatment of an already existing disease.