Spurs on the heels how to heal
Spurs on the heels how to treat
Given the fact that the heel spur in modern man is often enough, for its timely elimination, people should know the causes and symptoms of this disease. Of course, people of middle and old age, as well as those who are overweight, are most susceptible to this disease.
As the calcaneal spur
In addition, statistics show that women who wear an average heel( up to 4 centimeters high) are more prone to spur than those who wear shoes with high heels or flat soles.
Concept and cause of calcaneal spur
At its very essence, heel spur is an inflammation of the powerful fascia of the sole, many call such pathology a plantar fasciitis. A powerful fascia of the sole is located on the area between the toes and the heel, if during its inflammation in time to not take measures for treatment, there may be salt impregnation of the inflamed area, this process is called calcinosis.
Owing to this, osteophytes begin to grow - small bone formations. In other words, heel spurs are bone formations that have a spiked shape and grow in the heel bone region.
There are several reasons for calcaneal spurs, namely:
- anatomical changes in the foot of an age character;
- flat feet;
- rheumatism and not only.
As has already been pointed out, the heel spur is most often manifested in people over 40 years old, because at this age anatomical changes in the foot can occur. In addition to all of the above, to cause a calcaneal spur can an elementary stoop, which contributes to the displacement of the center of gravity. People who are overweight also suffer from this disease quite often.
Heel spurs can be due to a number of reasons
Heavy loads, joints of the legs and spine, atrophy of the calf muscles - all these factors can also cause the heel spur. Given all this, we can say that no one is insured against this disease, moreover, the bulk of the population is exposed to it. In order to prevent the development of a calcaneal spur, it is necessary to perform a number of preventive actions:
- to follow the posture;
- to control your weight;
- wear comfortable shoes;
- does not give strong loads on the feet.
In order to be able to suppress the development of the disease in time, it is necessary to know the symptomatology of the calcaneal spur.
Symptoms of calcaneal spur
In the initial stages of the disease, especially while the inflammation is still small, a person feels pain symptoms in the calcaneus zone.
Heel pain is one of the symptoms of the calcaneal spur
Pain sensations often accompany a person after a night's sleep, when for a long time there were no loads on the heel. In this process, the pain may be dulled or disappear altogether, but often appears again in the evening. These are the first signs of the origin of the heel spur, feeling which, you need to turn to a specialist who will establish the exact cause of the origin of the pain.
If you do not pay attention to these kinds of symptoms, then, naturally, the inflammation will progress, thus causing frequent and more intense pains. With severe inflammatory processes, the pain is so strong that a person may have the impression that a nail was hammered into his heel. Naturally, severe pain can cause changes in the gait, as the patient begins to limp.
Heel spur significantly affects the quality of life of the patient, especially if it is traced immediately on both legs. In this case, if both feet hurt, the patient simply can not move normally, the only option is the movement on the socks.
How to treat the heel spur
Spurs on the heels of how to treat is the first question that arises in a person with symptoms of a calcaneal spur. To begin with, it should be noted that this disease occupies 10% of all diseases of the musculoskeletal system, that is, every tenth patient with a disease of this nature is diagnosed with a spur on the heels.
Given the prevalence and severity of this disease, today there are several methods of its treatment, both at home and in medical institutions. Of course, all medical measures are directed, first of all, to the elimination of inflammatory processes and the elimination of outgrowths on the heel.
In fact, treating spurs on the heels can take quite a long time and require a lot of effort. This depends, first of all, on the stage and cause of the onset of the disease. More complex stages of the calcaneal spur require medical treatment, which often implies the use of special medications.
Movalis is one of the most effective drugs for the treatment of the heel spur
It is very important to remember that the entire course of treatment should be agreed with the doctor, since for more effective treatment it is necessary to perform the diagnosis of the affected area. Basically, in order to be able to accurately diagnose and determine the nature of the disease, the patient must take an X-ray, as well as an ultrasound examination. In addition, the doctor may need to analyze the patient's blood to determine the cause of the disease and the complexity of the inflammatory processes.
Medical treatment of spurs on heels
As already noted, treatment of the calcaneal spur can be of two types: home and medical. Medical treatment is considered more effective and quick-acting, therefore, often, it is used at advanced stages of the disease.
The first stage of medical treatment can be taking medications that have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. In addition, special medical ointments and gels should be applied to the affected area. Often, patients with a diagnosis of the calcaneal spur are assigned therapeutic massages and various procedures.
Among the treatment procedures that are effective for calcaneal spurs, highlight ultrasound therapy, laser therapy, cryotherapy, and shock wave methods. The most effective treatment will be with the application of all the above methods.
Treatment of spurs on the heels at home
As for the treatment of the heel spur at home, there are also a lot of techniques. For example, to remove inflammation and relax the affected area will help the bath with salt from the Dead Sea. Perform this procedure better regularly, and you can buy salt in specialized stores or pharmacies. On the packaging should be an instruction, according to which you need to dilute the salt.
Most of the course of salt baths lasts for two weeks, but the patient should look at his health, the bath is recommended to perform until the pain disappears completely. To enhance the effect, in addition to Dead Sea salt, you can use mud baths and soda.
Treating the calcaneal spur with folk methods
Some people prefer not to perform treatment, but wait until the disease goes by themselves, but do not forget that it can take several months. At the same time throughout the term the person will feel pain and will not be able to move normally.
In order to ease the pain and walk normally, you can use special accessories. Such adaptations include orthopedic insoles, special footwear, which has a depression in the heel area, thereby reducing pressure on it. Moreover, the devices that protect the affected heel during walking can be done independently, for example, cut it out of porous rubber.
Very effective in the late stages of the disease will be the so-called thermal procedures, which can also be performed at home.
Video - Spurs on the heels how to treat
Treating the calcaneal spur
Recently, a heel spur( plantar fasciitis) is considered a very common disease. It is an inflammation of the aponeurosis, which supports the arch of the foot and connects the calcaneus to the anterior part of the foot. Fascite is a small growth on the foot, which looks like a spike. When pressing, soft tissues are compressed, which leads to excruciating pain. To eliminate discomfort and acute pain, correct and timely treatment of the heel spur is necessary.
Treatment of calcaneal spurs at home
To determine the cause and complete removal of the heel spur, you need to see a doctor, undergo procedures to identify the disease and pass the appropriate tests( for example, in chlamydia, rheumatoid arthritis or gout).But you can not endure the pain until you find out the causes of the calcaneal spur and you do not need to get the appropriate doctor's prescriptions, you can yourself anesthetize the spur and at home.
- First of all, it is worth to reduce the load( or remove it at all) from the sole where there is a spur. To do this simply, it will require a rubber roller or "horseshoe", cut out of rubber. Such accessories are stacked or glued to the shoes so that there is space between the heel and the shoes. This will significantly reduce the load and ease the pain.
- At home, you can use a variety of anti-inflammatory drugs. Often, for these purposes, doctors prescribe gel Doloben or indomethacin ointment.
- The treatment of medical bile is used. You can buy such bile in almost every pharmacy. From this drug should do lotions for the whole night. After waking, the compress is removed, and the heel should be rubbed with lotion or boric alcohol. After a few procedures, you will be able to observe changes for the better and relief.
- At home, traditional medicine, iodine treatment( drawing of a reticulum) or baths( which are very undesirable to use in the first stages of the disease, so as not to worsen the situation) are also used.
Treatment with folk remedies
Medical technologies are actively developing, but some people use at home folk remedies for treating calcaneal spurs. The following methods and recipes are considered the most common:
- Steam your feet in warm water for 15 minutes, and then apply a mixture of chicken bile, shampoo and alcohol( in a ratio of 40: 5: 20 g).Put on the cellophane and sock. It is advisable to leave such a compress for the night or at least 6 hours.
- Make a tincture from the root of the iris, ground on a blender or meat grinder( 300 g), and alcohol 30 ml. Pour the mixture into a glass container, cover it tightly and leave to stand for 2 weeks. After it is worth doing with this tincture compresses, alternating every other day with vaseline applications. The course of treatment is 20 days( 10 sessions).
- Pour onion husks vinegar in a 1: 1 ratio and let it brew for two weeks. Apply the mixture on the foot( about 1 cm), wrap it with cellophane and put on a warm sock. It is not recommended to conduct more than 6 sessions in a row. In between, it would be nice to lubricate the heel with a special cream or butter.
- The mush of ripe walnuts should be applied daily to the foot with the heel spur, leaving a compress for the night.
When intending to heal the heel spur at home, remember: not always such self-activity leads to positive results. If after the procedures you do not notice improvement, you did not manage to stop the pain syndrome or only becomes worse, we recommend to see a doctor. You will be given a course of necessary procedures and recommend medication.
For the treatment of painful heel spurs, the doctor will most likely prescribe pain medication and anti-inflammatory drugs. These include novocaine, dimexide, potassium iodide, hydrocortisone. To improve the perception of the body of these drugs, often use electrophoresis.
Recently, it has become very popular to treat the calcaneal spur using a vitaifon apparatus, which has a vibroacoustic effect directly to the site of inflammation. Due to this influence, lymph circulation in the foot improves and the inflamed cells disintegrate. But it is worth remembering, the effect of this effect is temporary, because the spur does not collapse, but temporary relief comes. Ideally use the device to prevent spurs.
Drug blockade - an injection of painkillers and inflammatory drugs that is taken directly to the site of the lesion. The procedure must be performed by a specialist in order not to damage the ligaments and tendons of the calf muscles.
Ointments from heel spurs
Treating heel spurs is possible using a variety of ointments, which must also be applied correctly to get the maximum effect. Ointment should be applied to the steamed heel and carefully rub it into the skin. Use the cream for at least 2 weeks. Ointments soften the skin, remove inflammation, relieve pain and improve blood circulation in the foot.
To treat heel spurs used as steroid-containing drugs, and non-steroidal( anti-inflammatory), for example, butadione, flexin, voltaren. Hydrocortisone ointment( a hormonal drug) is used to improve the condition of vessels located near the spur. The course of treatment is 14 days, the ointment should be applied several times a day.
A good effect on the spur is provided with ointments containing extracts of vegetable or animal origin. For example, "Tiger eye Orto", "Golden mustache", "Shark fat", etc.
Treatment by shock wave therapy
Shock-and-beam therapy is a modern technique for combating the heel spur. This is a procedure with the use of special technologies aimed at reducing painful sensations. The principle of operation consists in the influence on the bone growth( osteophyte) of ultrasonic waves with a certain frequency.
The benefits of this method include the effectiveness and almost complete absence of side effects. You do not have to go to the hospital to undergo treatment. It eliminates the need for surgical intervention( operation).
It is worth noting - treatment shock wave therapy is not suitable for everyone. Contraindications to the application of the method are as follows:
- acute infectious diseases, intoxication of the body
- nervous system disorders
- blood clotting disorder
- cardiovascular disease, low blood pressure
To exclude all contraindications, it is worth consulting with the doctor. The question of the application of the method is solved individually with each patient.
Often for the struggle with spurs radiation and laser therapy, magnetotherapy is used.
Treatment: calcaneal spur in children
Many believe that heel spurs are the lot of people of advanced age. But, alas. This is not true. Often there are cases of detection of pathology in children. As a rule, these are overweight children or those who are actively involved in sports. The foot in children under the age of 17 years is plastic and easily deformed, which can lead to flat feet.
It is important to buy a child's shoes, taking into account the anatomical features of the foot structure. The heel should be raised by a maximum of 2 cm and should preferably be anatomical. Children should not wear high-heeled shoes.
If you have identified a heel spur in your child, you should immediately go to a medical institution and do not delay treatment. Because of pain during walking, it is possible to hold a stiff gait, which can lead to problems with posture, scoliosis, inflammation of the joints and others. The system of treatment of the disease in children is similar to the treatment of adults, only the doses will be different.
The causes of calcaneal spurs
The main causes of heel spurs are:
- large heel loads( especially with flatfoot)
- age changes
- excessive loads resulting from sports activities
- common diseases and poor body condition
- stretching of the fascia, resulting in inflammation,deposition of calcium salts( calcification) and build-up of build-up
- complications after trauma
Evidence of a heelsecond spur is considered a sharp pain in the heel when walking, pain on palpation of the heel, changing gait.
To find out what a calcaneal spur is from a physician's point of view, see the following video instruction:
The first symptom of the heel spur is an acute burning pain during a support on the heel. Typically, there is such pain in the morning after sleep, after a resting state. It is worth noting, the size of the spur does not affect the strength of pain. The level of painful sensations depends on the location of the spur: the closer it is to the nerve endings, the greater the pain.
For the diagnosis of calcaneal spur, the following complaints are necessary:
- pain in the heel in the mornings and after a long resting state
- pain after walking or running
- pain relief as the person paces
- pain when you press a finger on the heel
To confirm the diagnosis, an x-ray, and in some cases an ultrasoundstudy. As the spur in the photo looks, you can look at the presented photo.
To prevent the formation of the heel spur, preventive measures must be taken. Here is a list of what needs to be done to prevent this disease.
- Combat excess weight( with diet, gymnastics).
- Daily maintain moderate motor activity.
- Do not overload the foot.
Spur on the heel: symptoms, how it looks and why it hurts
- Change in gait
Regardless of the reasons for the formation of a spur on the heel, the symptoms of the ailment are always the same: pain in the foot and change in gait. The calcaneal spur itself is a fairly common disease. A lot of young and old people are familiar with him. This is a degenerative change in the tissue of the foot near the calcaneus.IMPORTANT TO KNOW!A new means of restoring joints in 99% of subjects. The pain goes away 100%!Read more here - & gt;
In medicine under the calcaneal spur, it is customary to understand plantar fasciitis as an inflammatory process in the connective tissue of the foot. This tendon ribbon has the appearance of an arch that elastically connects the heel bone with the bones of the toes. When flattening the plantar plate, the fibers are traumatized and a spur is formed. This process is not fast. It lasts for several months and causes severe pain.
Bone growth builds on the tendon and presses on soft tissue, causing inflammation. It is accompanied by rather unpleasant sensations in the foot. The bony tubercle itself can not be ill.
How to form a spur on the heel of
In 90% of cases, the development of the disease occurs due to plantar fasciitis, when for various reasons the tendon of the sole becomes inflamed. If you do not immediately take measures to treat the disease, then the process goes too far. In such cases, impregnation of damaged tissues with calcium salts - calcification may be observed. A consequence of it will be the growth of small spike-shaped bone formations( osteophytes).
The process of spur formation
Human foot has two arches: longitudinal and transverse. They allow you to protect the body from shaking and balance your body while walking. For various reasons, the longitudinal arch of the foot can become flattened.
In such cases, there is an abnormal redistribution of the load on the foot. As a consequence, there is a strong tension or even rupture of the tendon fibers.
As a result of deformational changes in the foot, the inflammatory process begins. Not only the tendons but also the surface layer of the bone are affected. In a single case, small tears heal independently. With constant microtraumas of the internal tissues of the foot, a calcaneal spur is formed, and severe discomfort occurs during walking.
Heel spur can also form with inflammation of the synovial bag. As a rule, the disease occurs symmetrically - immediately on both legs. When the heel spur is present for quite a long time, then the synovial bag located in the area of its apex periodically inflames. This process is accompanied by pain, increasing with walking, or by internal tension of the muscles of the foot.
Also, heel damage leads to a gradual thinning of the fatty tissue, which serves as a shock absorber of the foot. As a result, spines develop on the heel bone edge - growths of various shapes and sizes. To understand what a spur of napping looks like - fotopopomozh better than any words: it shows the true form of the deformed section.
Causes of the disease
The most common cause of the disease is the stretching of muscles and ligaments. Therefore, the greatest probability of the appearance of spurs exists in athletes engaged in running or performing jumps. The risk of the disease increases many times under these conditions:
- being on your feet for a long time( standing work, long walking);
- high vaults of the foot( hollow feet);
- weakening of the foot muscles due to hypodynamia;
- flat feet;
- chronic or single, but rather severe trauma to the foot;
- wearing shoes with a flat thin insole( ballet shoes, slates);
- age-related changes, acute rheumatism, vascular disorders;
- is overweight;
- pathologies leading to the defeat of the nerves of the lower extremities.
Spur on the heel: symptoms and manifestation of the disease
With a calcaneal spur, the clinical symptoms are caused, first of all, by changes in soft tissues. They can be caused by periostitis - acute or chronic inflammation of the periosteum, podpjatochnym bursitis or ailobursitis - inflammation of deep mucous bags.
But most of all the symptoms of the calcaneal spur are associated with the plantar fasciitis - an inflammation of the plantar tissue in the calcaneus.
When a person suffering from a calcaneal spur tries to describe his feelings, he usually says: "I have a nail sticking out in my heel." Explains the pain of trauma or bone formation pressure on the foot tissue of . Therefore, those people who say that it hurts a spur on its own, are not quite right. In fact, an unpleasant sensation does not deliver a tubercle, but inflamed tissue in the calcaneus.
The intensity of pain in the spur depends largely on where the build-up is located - which is why patients with a large and pointed growth can not feel it at all. At the same time, people who have a small and flat spur will complain of unbearable pain. Also, the force of unpleasant sensations will depend on the proximity of the location of the osseous hillock to the nerve endings.
Pain with heel spurs are of two types:
- is dynamic( felt during physical exertion).
Starting pain manifests itself in the morning. Usually immediately, as a person gets out of bed and takes the first steps. To reduce their intensity, the patient can rely only on the sock or on improvised objects, use a cane.
Then, when walking unpleasant sensations in the foot begin to subside and in the afternoon can even completely disappear, but by the evening will appear again due to accumulated fatigue.
With physical exertion the pains are very strong and burning, and not sharp, as starting. The reason for their occurrence is a constant stretching of the inflamed plantar ligaments during walking. However, unpleasant sensations can be of different intensity. But if the pain attacks are observed more often, and their duration is getting longer, then the feeling of discomfort in the foot can arise and without an obvious load.
Symptoms of calcaneal spurs are quite similar with signs of other diseases. Careful laboratory-instrumental diagnosis of the disease is the key to making the doctor a correct diagnosis.
Change in gait
The most unpleasant thing with a calcaneal spur is a feeling of severe pain all over the surface of the foot. As a result, a person will unconsciously change his gait for a lesser sense of soreness in the foot. Therefore, for the most part the with a heel spur in the patient's gait becomes an uncertain and more similar to the movement of the skier on the slopes. The "sliding" nature of walking allows you to reduce the load from the heel.
Usually, in addition to changing gait, other symptoms of the calcaneal spur may also appear in the patient:
- the presence of specific calluses;
- edema of the foot and lower leg.
According to statistics in 25% of cases, the spur on the heel results in a partial loss of the patient's ability to move independently. At strong unpleasant sensations the bed mode or sparing conditions in former activity can be recommended. It does not matter what the spur looks like on the heel of the , the is important - that it destroys the old rhythm and active lifestyle of the person. Therefore, you need to treat the disease immediately.
Spurs on the heels
Consequences of the erection for mankind turned out to be not only positive, but also negative aspects, one of these aspects - the spurs on the heels. Whether a person is graceful or clumsy, the area of his footing always remains small - these are his two feet. While the pressure that occurs when moving, is large enough. And only thanks to the vaulted structure of the human foot, all jolt loads are absorbed and do not reach the upper parts of the musculoskeletal structure. The price of such amortization is great - it is a disease of the joints and muscles of the legs. Unfortunately, the number of people who periodically or constantly have pain in their lower limbs, is growing every year. One of the reasons that causes physical suffering, gait disturbance and, as a consequence, seeking medical help, is associated with the appearance of a spur on the heels.
The causes of the spur on the heels
The heel bone during walking constantly takes on a significant load. There are situations when the body ceases to adequately perceive the load. Then, in the place where the tendons attach to the calcaneus, ossification begins to develop in the lower part in the form of a spine. Spurs on the heels on the photo can look like spiky outgrowths. The heel spur many are designated as plantar fasciitis. However, this is not entirely correct. Cone on heel bone is just one of the manifestations of plantar fasciitis. The entire painful process begins in the heel of the calcaneus, in the form of inflammation of the connective tissue. The cause of this pathology is microtrauma, which occurs in the area of tendons supporting the longitudinal arch of the foot. Usually such small tears heal independently. In certain cases, inflammation occurs, which occurs without the participation of pathogenic microorganisms. Nevertheless, this process ends with the deposition of calcium salts on the calcaneus. Determining factors that can cause the development of the calcaneal spur, experts define the following:
• Flatfoot and, as a consequence, incorrect load distribution in the foot; • weight gain, which increases the load; • gout and metabolic disease; • inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the hip and knee joints( arthrosis, arthritis, osteoporosis); • trauma to the foot and calcaneus; • circulatory disturbance in diabetes mellitus, varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, Raynaud's disease; • Significant increase in physical activity( at risk, athletes and people forced to stay on their feet for a long time); • Spine diseases.
Symptoms of the calcaneal spur
Most people who have spurs on the heel, the symptoms describe about the same. This is a sharp stitching pain in the lower part of the heel. Usually in the morning, the pain is more intense. There is a feeling of presence inside a sharp object. This changes the gait, and there is a desire to walk with a cane, or, stepping only on the front of the foot. Emerging spurs on the heel symptoms also manifest as a purulent-inflammatory process. It happens, if the bone growth during walking injures soft tissue, sometimes even the integrity of the skin can be disturbed.
Determining the diagnosis of
In order to understand what caused the pain in the calcaneus, it is necessary to seek qualified medical help from a doctor. The doctor establishes the diagnosis, based on the patient's complaints, as well as the analysis of X-rays or ultrasound diagnosis.
Spur on the heel. How to treat?
When it is known that the cause of pain is a spur on the heel, how to treat this pathology should determine the doctor. Of course, there are a lot of non-traditional methods of therapy, but they are not always effective. There are several main areas of treatment.
Conservative treatment includes reducing the burden on the patient's leg, the use of special insoles and insteps, as well as soft heel pads made of silicone. Such measures help to avoid soft tissue injuries and prevent the development of an inflammatory process that requires additional treatment.
When spurs appear on the heel, the symptoms are effectively treated with medication. Quickly get rid of the pain will help anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs: ibuprofen, nimesulide, meloxicam, ketoprofen and diclofenac. It is possible to use and corticosteroids in the form of local administration of flosteron or diprospan. Also popular in the treatment of spurs on the heels of medicines for external use. These are ointments, balms and gels on the basis of non-steroid preparations, plant components and essential oils, with a warming effect, enhancing blood circulation, distracting pain, and possessing anti-inflammatory and softening effect. When spurs appear on the heels of treatment and medicine should only recommend a doctor.
Methods of treatment of calcaneal spurs with the help of physiotherapeutic procedures are recognized as effective: warm salt baths, dry heat, mud applications, cryotherapy. Good results are provided by ultrasound treatment, laser and shock wave therapy. These methods can remove inflammation and stop the development of the calcaneal spur.
Surgical methods of treatment are used only in cases when the remaining funds do not give the expected effect or the disease proceeds with complications. During the operation, the bone outgrowth is removed, and if necessary, the tissues that are subject to changes and inflammation.
To make your gait easy, your feet never hurt, you need to choose high-quality and comfortable shoes, contact a doctor in a timely manner, without giving any chance to get a disease in the body.
Parasites - the worst enemy of mankind!
The worst enemies of mankind do not slumber. They affect the intestines, the heart, the liver and even the brain. How to get rid of their WOW-IMPACT INFLUENCE once and for all. Elena Malysheva told about a unique folk remedy about which everyone should know.
Treatment of heel spur( folk remedies), photo + causes, symptoms and preventive measures
In elderly patients, calcaneal spur can develop as a result of degenerative foot changes. Strengthening the symptoms of the disease occurs when a person attempts to step on the socks , avoiding heel pain. In some professions heel spurs are a professional disease( for example, in dancers, athletes, runners, etc.).
Symptoms and signs of build-up
Externally, the spur is the formation of the calcaneus on the hillock, located on the outside of the heel, resembling a spike or wedge. At the onset of development, the pain manifests itself only during movement, as well as during long standing in the standing position.Burning pain can be observed when weight is transferred to the affected limb, as well as when attacking the foot after awakening.
Characteristic signs of the disease are also:
- pain increase with spur increase in size;
- sharp, cutting, stitching;
- aching pain in the evening or with changing weather;
- palpation discomfort;
- edema and redness of the affected area;
- spleen callosity;
- swelling of the ankles, drawing pains in this zone of the limb;
- senses tension in the foot.
The pain syndrome with calcaneal spur is often due to the inflammation of adjacent tissues, as well as the tendons and synovial joints.
Consequences for a person
Pain and inflammation, becoming chronic, can lead to a restriction of the motor activity and disability of the patient. In some cases, a person has to move with a cane or crutches, and even go to bed rest.
Lack of timely treatment may lead to the end of a sports career, the forced change of job, because neglected cases require surgical intervention, sometimes leading to complications( pain, damage to the nerve roots, relapse of the heel spurs).
The formation of a large spur is a common cause of deformation of the ankle and its deviation from the natural axis of location.
As a result of turning the foot inside, the load on the thumb is greatly increased, which can lead to the development of its arthroses and arthritis. The complication of the calcaneal spur is the development of neurofibroma( a tumor of nerve fibers), a violation of the sensitivity of the nerve roots and the entrapment of the vessels, as well as the suppuration of the skin and soft tissues as a result of the penetration of bacterial agents.
After the examination of the patient and the collection of anamnesis, the doctor( orthopedist or surgeon) appoints a radiographic examination.The main purpose of the of this diagnostic method is to exclude a fracture of the calcaneus, as well as the effects of the deforming arthrosis of the ankle joint.
To differentiate the calcaneal spur from rheumatoid or gouty arthritis, Bekhterev's disease, laboratory tests are conducted( biochemistry of blood for rheumatics, c-reactive protein, uric acid level, etc.).
In the absence of doubt when diagnosing the diagnosis, the only method of examination can be the ultrasound of the formation, in the performance of which the depth and magnitude of the spur are visualized, the degree of soft tissue damage.
Treating the calcaneal spur
There are several ways to treat the calcaneal spur. Usually, when the size of the is small, therapy is started with medical methods of , which are aimed at reducing pain and inflammation in the calcaneal region:
- Glucocorticosteroid injections of into the site of spur localization. The most effective are the injections of diprospan, flosteron. The method consists in the following: the drug is injected into the point of the highest morbidity, as a result the pain syndrome is stopped, the inflammation decreases, the accumulation of calcium salts gradually dissolves. In some cases, 1-2 re-introduction of funds will be required.
- NovaQainic blockade of on the affected area of the body( calcification of the calcaneal spur with anesthetic).
- Treatment of medical with bile and dimexid .With the course use of these drugs in the form of compresses, pain and inflammation are significantly reduced.
- Plasters from calcaneal spur with plant components. They promote saline resorption in the formation.
Ointments and creams
Skin spur medications may include ointments, creams for external use:
- ointment or "Objective T" solution, ointment "Ortho-heel spur" - have a positive effect on resorption of salt deposits in the spur;
- cream "Shark fat and golden mustache" reduces swelling and inflammation, relieves pain, and also helps restore bone tissue;
- have the same effect with the ointments "Shpornet", "Pjatkashpor";
- creams with NSAIDs( pyrox, voltaren, dolgite, butadione) - are used to reduce the intensity of pain;
- in case of skin damage, it is recommended that the affected area be treated with solutions of antiseptics or boric, salicylic, levomycetinic alcohols.
Non-pharmacological methods that can alleviate the symptoms of the disease:
- Apply braces( orthoses). The method is based on reducing the load and immobilizing the foot, therefore, in most cases, it is used at night. Since in a dream a person pulls out feet, during this time the plantar fascia relaxes, and the ankle is "fixed" in the position of the unbent foot. As a result, after awakening, when the joint returns to its normal state, repeated microscopic traumas of the fascia are observed, which for the night are fused in its shortened position. When fixing the foot at right angles, morning pain is usually absent or significantly reduced.
- Tapping. With the help of a special teip or regular adhesive plaster, the foot is fixed in the position it takes when walking. Usually the method is used to unload the foot during the day for a short period of time.
- To facilitate the movement of the patient, a reduced load on the foot is achieved by using the orthopedic insoles , the heel pads with a hole in the middle, a special shoe with a groove in the heel.
- Paraffin, mineral, radon, mud baths. Used as an additional tool in the treatment of the heel spur in order to improve the nutrition of cells and the processes of their regeneration.
Physiotherapeutic and hardware techniques for calcaneal spurs:
- Phonation. Vitafon is used to treat the calcaneal spur - a vibroacoustic device, with the help of a created muscle oscillation that can strengthen the regeneration of body cells, and also remove dead cells by accelerating the lymph flow. Therapy with the Vitafon is a kind of analogue of a massage that can be performed at home. The course of procedures - at least 10( 40 minutes per day).
- Massage, grinding. Development of muscles, improvement of blood and lymph circulation promote the excretion of salts, as well as better nutrition of joint tissues and recovery of tendon cells.
- Electrophoresis, phonophoresis. They are used for the purpose of administering analgesics( novocaine, lidocaine) in the area of the calcaneal spur.
- Ultrasound treatment. During the procedure, the painful zones become somewhat heated, as a result, metabolic processes and cell regeneration are accelerated. Also, ultrasound therapy can remove muscle spasm, improve blood supply to tissues.
- X-ray therapy. Under the influence of the X-ray ray, the pathologically formed spur cells are destroyed, and the nerve roots, which cause pain causing pain, are blocked. In view of the harmful effects on the body, it is used when other methods are ineffective.
- Laser therapy. The laser medical laser with directed action stimulates local blood circulation, which causes pain and inflammation to decrease.
- Ultrasound therapy. Directed on the acceleration of regeneration of healthy cells and excretion of dead lymphatic cells. Magnetotherapy also has the same action;treatment of calcaneal spurs with the help of these techniques - at least 15 sessions.
- Shock Wave Therapy. The progressive method of treatment of many diseases of the musculoskeletal system is based on the impact on the altered tissues by a sound wave that is capable of breaking even bone osteophytes, changing their structure, as well as the deposition of salts, to "start" the processes of tissue repair at the cellular level.
In the absence of positive dynamics in the treatment of the calcaneal spur, depending on the indications of , surgery is performed:
- Removing the heel spur( surgical or endoscopic).
- Excision of part of calcaneus fascia.
- Release of compressed nerve roots.
Lifestyle with the appearance of the heel spur
In addition to strict compliance with the prescription of the doctor, the patient needs to adjust the diet, including more useful foods rich in vitamins and minerals, and limiting salt intake and optimizing the drinking regime.Regular motor activity and warm-up of the foot is an obligatory stage in the treatment of the heel spur.
The purpose of therapeutic gymnastics is to stretch the plantar fascia to give elasticity and strength to its fibers.
An example of the exercises can be the following:
- lean against the wall, put the stops one after another. The heels are firmly pressed to the floor and squat before the tightening of the bottom of the shins, stay for 10 seconds and straighten. Then repeat the same way, changing the location of the legs;
- skating of a tennis ball by foot stops , thus rolling it over the entire surface of the sole;
- picking up small items with your toes while sitting on a chair.
Folk methods of treatment of
Despite the many existing methods of treating the disease, folk methods for treating heel spurs can be quite effective.
The main purpose of the prescriptions - pain relief, improvement of blood microcirculation, acceleration of lymph flow, and restoration of damaged tissues:
- Take a glass of any clay, combine it with 2 tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of triple cologne and the same volume of tincture of valerian. If the mass is too thick, add a little water. Apply the product in the form of a mask, wrap the leg with a warm cloth and go to bed. In the morning, wash off the mask, repeat at least 9 more times.
- Buy 1 kg.peat, heat it( not to a boil), pouring water and stirring. Slightly cool and lower the patient's leg into the container. Soak for at least 10 minutes, then put on socks and walk for at least an hour. It will be best to treat before bedtime.
- Baths with kerosene can be used daily until the spur is reduced in size. The product is heated, after which the leg is held in it for 10 minutes.
- Before going to sleep in dense socks, lay raw grated potatoes or a grass of the lice, or a crushed cabbage leaf. It is necessary to use course methods - at least 20 sessions.
- To the leg, you can tie compresses from the tea mushroom. The obligatory condition - during the week not to pour into the jar, where there is a mushroom, sugar. After fixing the tea mushroom on the leg with cellophane, the top of the compress is tied with a towel and left for the whole night. This recipe is used for 10 days, and after a short break, 10 more procedures.
To prevent the development of the disease, and after a successful course of therapy, it is recommended:
- Improvement of the spinal column.
- Optimization of the muscular corset and its cushioning function.
- Prevent premature wear of joints.
- Wearing comfortable shoes, use of orthopedic insoles with insteps.
- Prevention of injuries, overloads of feet.
- Prophylactic application of methods of manual therapy, physiotherapy.
- Active way of life.
- Performing exercises to strengthen the feet, therapeutic gymnastics.
- Maintaining a normal weight.