Simple and effective exercise in osteoporosis
"Quiet killer", "silent epidemic" - that's what osteoporosis is often called. It is a systemic progressive disease of the skeleton, caused by a metabolic disorder( metabolism) in the bone tissue and characterized by a decrease in bone density, their increased brittleness.
With careful examination, every third person after forty years of age is diagnosed with this disease. And the first thing that can help is exercise therapy for osteoporosis.
Doctors recommend the following preventative measures:
- First of all, you should pay special attention to your lifestyle and nutrition. The body must necessarily receive a sufficient amount of vitamin D and calcium daily. If the consumed products are not enough - you need to additionally drink mineral complexes.
- Secondly, motor activity plays an important role. For example, if it is recommended to minimize sports with arthrosis, then in case of osteoporosis, on the contrary, a moderate physical load can have a positive effect, because it helps to improve the bone tissue and the proper functioning of bone cells.
Physical activity is important both in the treatment and prevention of the disease
Treating osteoporosis with gymnastics
Physical training in osteoporosis is considered a truly effective method of treating this disease. When doing the "right" physical exercises, first, the musculature is formed, and secondly, the thickness of the bones is maintained. And, of course, such a therapeutic method does not have contraindications and side effects, characteristic for medications. Regular thirty-minute charging several times a week allows you to increase bone mass by 5% and significantly weaken the progression of the disease. Classes can be started at any age. The main thing is to choose a suitable set of exercises for osteoporosis, which will not give too much strain to the weakened skeleton, but at the same time it will strengthen the muscles.
Do all sports contribute to recovery?
In this case, you can not answer unambiguously. Despite the fact that physical training significantly improves the condition with such a complex disease, certain types of exercise in the case of osteoporosis can be dangerous for patients. Incorrectly selected set of exercises can cause serious injuries and even fractures.
There are two important factors to consider here:
amount of bone loss.
This is why, before starting the exercises, you should consult a doctor who will conduct a test to determine the density of bone mass and tell you what exercises will be most useful and safe for you.
Choose the "right" exercises for
People who suffer from osteoporosis are recommended the following types of physical activity:
- aerobics to strengthen the leg muscles - climbing the stairs, dancing, walking;
- strength training, which allows to strengthen the back, as well as hanging on the bar;
- swimming and water gymnastics, which favorably affect all muscle groups;
- exercises for flexibility - yoga, stretching.
Ideally, weekly physical activity must necessarily involve alternating exercises from all the above 4 groups.
The basic principle of exercise therapy is "All exercises without pain!"
As an indicative example for those who have just decided to start training, the following exercises can be brought:
Sitting in a comfortable pose, arms bend at the elbows and slowly take your shoulders back, well approaching the shoulder blades. Count to 5 and relax. Repeat 9 times.
Sitting, hands down. We make 20-25 circular motions with shoulders together and as much with each shoulder separately.
Sitting, put the palms on the occipital area, taking a breath, withdrawing the elbows back and counting to 5. As you exhale, your hands relax. Repeat 9 times.
Sitting, put the hands on your knees. We try to strain all the muscles, we count to 5 and relax. Repeat 9 times.
Lying on your back, doing 6 times the usual sipping.
Lying on the back, pulling both knees to the belly, securely wrap our arms around, counting to 5 and letting go. It is enough 7 repetitions.
Lying on the back, for two minutes simulate the feet of active cycling.
Lying on one side, we rest with our free hand. Raise a straight leg, hold it on the weight, counting to 5, and slowly lower it. Repeat one by one 9 times.
Standing on all fours, doing slow arching / deflection of the back. Repeat 7 times.
To begin physical exercises is necessary with minimal load, gradually increasing the number of repetitions and duration of training.
During training, avoid any sudden movements, heavy loads - those exercises that can increase the risk of fractures. In the "diet" classes should not include running, jumping, sharp slopes, sit-ups, turns in the waist. Therapeutic exercises in osteoporosis should be conducted at a moderate pace. Also under the ban, any lifting of weights: weights, bars, dumbbells.
Extremely cautious you need to be and when practicing tennis, golf, doing some yoga poses. On a mandatory basis, all the recommendations of a physician or professional instructor should be observed. You can not dramatically increase the intensity of loads, as well as change exercises without first consulting a specialist.
In the warmer months outdoor activities are recommended, swimming in natural or open water bodies, cycling. In winter, the room in which classes are held should be well ventilated, a constant supply of fresh air is necessary.
Timely advice from a doctor, a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, exercise therapy aimed at maintaining muscle tone and strengthening bone tissue - and no osteoporosis can scare you!
Take care of yourself and stay healthy!
What exercises can be performed for osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a systemic progressive disease of the skeleton. The main cause of osteoporosis is the disturbed metabolism in bone tissues, as a result of which the bones lose their density and become very brittle. This process is known as metabolism.
Osteoporosis is one of the most common diseases. In most cases, it worries elderly people. Physical exercises in osteoporosis is one of the most effective ways to prevent possible complications and further development of the disease. Is it possible to prevent the development of osteoporosis?
Specialists advise to pay special attention to nutrition. It is recommended to consume as much as possible food products containing calcium and vitamin D. You can replenish their stock in the body with the help of mineral complexes.
In addition to diet, it is worth paying attention to your lifestyle. Often the sedentary, inactive work leads to the development of osteoporosis. Regularly performing a set of exercises, such troubles can be avoided. Motor activity contributes to the improvement of metabolism, which favorably affects the state of bone tissue.
The complex of exercises is necessary not only in the treatment of osteoporosis, but also as preventive measures. What exercises should I perform? If osteoporosis is at an acute stage, before doing physical exercises, it is recommended that you consult with your doctor. For today, there are a lot of videos from which you can borrow for yourself a set of special medical exercises. At the same time for their implementation is quite suitable home conditions.
In some cases, the complex of exercises for osteoporosis is selected for a certain group of people, while the age, individual characteristics of the patient, the form of the disease can be taken into account. In general, any set of exercises for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis is aimed at improving the metabolism in the body and strengthening bone tissue.
The benefits that exercise can bring
Therapeutic gymnastics allows you to achieve significant success in the treatment of osteoporosis. Regular and correctly performed exercises contribute not only to the formation of muscles, but also to maintaining the strength of bones. As you know, medications have a number of contraindications, in contrast to medical gymnastics, which can only improve the general condition of the body. The complex of exercises in osteoporosis will prevent the further development of the disease.
Most treatment exercises are suitable for people of different age categories. With the help of video lessons you can pick up a set of exercises that will suit you. It is important to take into account your physical abilities. In the event that the skeleton is weakened, the load should not be too intense, but it helps to strengthen the muscles. What exercises should be performed with osteoporosis, you can learn from the following video( video 1).
What should I consider when doing physical exercise?
As mentioned above, therapeutic exercises help to improve the condition and prevent the progression of osteoporosis. It is very important to understand that overestimating your physical abilities, you can aggravate the symptoms of the disease. Some physical exercises for people suffering from osteoporosis can be a serious danger. Giving your preference to this or that exercise, it is important not to forget that the bones in osteoporosis become very fragile and vulnerable. Doing exercises is necessary not only taking into account the form of the disease, but also in accordance with the general state of health.
If you decide to do exercises on video lessons, first consult with your doctor. After the examination and( if necessary) additional diagnostic tests the specialist will give his recommendations about the exercises chosen by you. Look at the training video on the exercise of exercise therapy( video 2)
For people suffering from osteoporosis, such sports as
- are useful. Strength training( hanging on a horizontal bar).This type of exercise helps to strengthen the back.
- Exercises designed to develop flexibility( for example, stretching or yoga).
- Aerobic, which helps to strengthen the muscles of the legs( you can do dances, it is recommended to walk as much as possible and climb the stairs).
- Swimming. As you know, this sport is very useful for all muscle groups.
It is very important that therapeutic exercises do not cause painful and unpleasant sensations. In the event that the pain does arise, the exercise that provoked them should be abandoned.
Medical gymnastics for osteochondrosis
You can start the course by doing the following exercises:
- Sit in a comfortable position, bending your arms in the elbows. Start your shoulders slowly back, connecting the shoulder blades. Counting to 5, you can relax. Repeat the exercise 10-15 times.
- The following exercise is still performed while sitting. Lower your arms and start making circular motions with your shoulders, first simultaneously, then alternately( 15-20 times each).
- After clasping your hands behind the back of your neck and taking a deep breath, take your elbows back, counting up to 5. When exhaling, relax your hands. Repeat the exercise 10-15 times.
- With your hands on your knees, strain all the muscles, counting to 5, try to relax. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Lie on your back and perform 5-10 pull-ups.
- Just lying on your back, try to pull your knees to your stomach, holding them with your hands. Counting to 5, you can return to the original position( enough 5-10 times).
- Continuing to lie on your back, start making movements that mimic cycling. For this exercise, it is enough to devote 5 minutes.
- Lie on one side, leaning on the arm. Lifting the leg, hold it for several seconds( you can count up to 5 for convenience), then lower it. After completing the exercise 10-15 times, change the position.
- Standing on all fours, start to arch and bend your back( 15-20 times).
Recommendations for the implementation of the
exercise exercise therapy should begin with exercises that give a minimal load. The duration of the gymnastics and the number of repetitions is recommended to increase gradually.
While practicing exercise therapy, avoid sharp, careless movements.
From too intense loads that can cause a fracture, in this case it is worth noting. The number of exercises with an increased risk of various injuries include:
- performance of sharp inclinations, turns in a waist;
The main condition for curative gymnastics is a moderate pace. In the case of osteoporosis, weight lifting( dumbbells, weights, bars) is not allowed. Such sports as golf or tennis require special care. Some postures in yoga are also recommended to be treated with caution. It is very important to take into account the recommendations of the physician. All exercises should be coordinated with a professional instructor.
In addition, it is worth adding a bike ride and regular walks in the fresh air. With the help of a timely consultation of a specialist, a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, therapeutic gymnastics that will support muscle tone and strengthen bone tissue, it is possible to prevent the development of osteoporosis.
Treatment of osteoporosis in elderly women
Osteoporosis is a pathological process in which bone tissue is thinned by the washing away of calcium from it. As a result, the risk of injury is increasing rapidly. It is especially important to know the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in elderly women, since they are five times more likely than men. Detection of the first symptoms of ailment and rapid adoption of necessary measures will allow to slow down destructive processes.
Osteoporosis in old age
Disturbance of bone density is becoming one of the most dangerous and common diseases. It affects mostly people who have reached the age of 50 years. And up to 70% of patients are representatives of the weaker sex. The reason for this is a decrease in hormones in the climatic period, which as a result leads to a reduction in the blood level of calcium. Therefore, the body tries to restore it, "picking" the minerals from the bone tissue.
In addition, the factors that provoke osteoporosis in the elderly can be:
- genetic predisposition;
- surgical interventions to remove the ovaries or uterus;
- long-term use of corticosteroids;
- bad habits;
- low mobility;
- presence of chronic ailments.
Is osteoporosis treated in the elderly?
Completely get rid of the pathology is impossible. However, to slow down the destructive processes is real. For this purpose, the doctor prescribes such drugs:
- prevents bone adsorption, including estrogens, osteohin;
- preparations, activating the compaction of bone tissue, include fluorides, bivalos, vitamin D;
- vitamins and combined agents, calcium D3 Nycomed.
For the removal of inflammation and the suppression of pain symptoms, the patient is prescribed:
Reception of these agents can cause a number of by-effects, therefore instead of them it is possible to use:
Women in the post-climactic period should usedrugs that interfere with bone resorption, such as Bonviva.
Gymnastics for Osteoporosis for the Elderly
A special place in the treatment is given to maintaining the regular mobility of all joints and strengthening the muscles. For this, the doctor prescribes special exercises. However, it is not worth overloading the body, since you can only hurt yourself even more.
Patients are recommended to perform such exercises:
- for stretching muscles( yoga is well suited);
- force load, aimed at strengthening the muscles of the back;
- swimming gymnastics;
- exercises to strengthen the legs( aerobics, Nordic walking).
Gymnastics in osteoporosis - types of exercises
With the development of osteoporosis in bone tissues irreversible processes of destructive nature occur, which can only be stopped with the help of prolonged complex treatment. In addition to medications, patients with this disease require the use of other treatment methods. Patients with mild and moderate forms of osteoporosis are prescribed special gymnastic exercises that help to strengthen the muscular skeleton. This is necessary in order to prevent possible fractures, which often occur with thinning of bones. Physical activity helps improve metabolic processes in the body, which is very favorable for the skeleton.
Gymnastics in osteoporosis includes a set of special exercises, the performance of which will not harm the weakened and fragile bones. Many people believe that with a reduction in bone mass and a tendency to fracture, any physical activity is contraindicated. But such an opinion is deeply erroneous, since well-planned and regular classes are the prevention of injuries and injuries.
Therapeutic physical training and gymnastics in osteoporosis are accessible and effective methods of treatment, preventing fractures and their complications.
Kinds of exercises
Depending on what the load of physical exercises, they are divided into these types:
- Dynamic gymnastics.
- Flexibility exercises.
- Training on resistance.
Dynamic are considered such exercises as long walking, dancing pas, climbing the stairs. During such actions, the musculoskeletal system is loaded, and the muscles work against gravity in the vertical position of the body.
Flexibility develop exercises that help to gradually stretch the muscles and increase their tone. You can engage in any position - standing, sitting or lying down, lifting minor weights or applying special training equipment for stretching.
Classes on horizontal bars, swimming refers to training for resistance and also strengthen and develop musculature well.
Therapeutic exercises for osteoporosis consists of a whole complex of physical actions, and in each case, patients may be assigned a certain type of exercise. The following are those that are mandatory and are considered safe:
- Standing position, feet shoulder width apart, hands are located on the waist. One leg is withdrawn, the other is partially bent at the knee joint. In this position do shallow squats. The number of repetitions is 5 times for each leg.
- The position is the same, the load is applied to the muscles of the upper limbs. On inhale, the hands are raised above the head, then bent at the elbows and exhaled to bring together the shoulder blades. This is done 10 times, following the breath.
- Do not change the position make the corners of the body, trying to reach the dynamics in the movements, so that the trunk is spinning by inertia. It is recommended to perform 10-15 turns. Such a gymnastic exercise will not only increase muscle tone, but will also improve the performance of the vestibular apparatus. In the future, this will protect against accidental falls, which can lead to fractures.
- Position lying on the back, legs bent at the knees, palms pressed to the floor along the body. In this position, the exercise "bicycle" is done - the forward movements of the limbs in a circle. The duration of the lesson is up to 1 min.
- Position lying on one side, hands behind head. The lower leg is bent at the knee, and the second one is straightened and raised to the maximum possible height. Hold the limb in a tension of up to 10 seconds, then change position and repeat the same actions for the other leg.
- Position kneeling, hands resting on the floor. Alternately raise first the upper limbs, then lower, lingering in each position for 10 seconds. Thus, the weight of the body is transferred throughout the body, training muscle mass.
Advantages of gymnastics
Physical activity is one of the main ways to correct various orthopedic diseases, and osteoporosis is no exception.
Performing special exercises will help patients strengthen bones and muscles, improve flexibility and mobility. Classes have a positive effect on the coordination of movements, which makes it easier for people to maintain balance and avoid spontaneous falls that lead to serious consequences.
Given that osteoporosis develops mainly in elderly patients, whose body is already weakened, gymnastics should become an integral part of their life. Keeping in the measure of an active way of life will help to inhibit destructive processes in bone structures and increase the resistance of the organism to the influence of various unfavorable factors.
Therapeutic gymnastics for osteoporosis is especially indicated for women who have had menopause. Numerous studies of the effectiveness of physical training have shown that with regular long walking, performing power and other special exercises, there is an increase in mass and an increase in the density of the bones of the spine and hip - the parts of the body most vulnerable to fractures.
Before you begin the gymnastics, you need to undergo a comprehensive examination and consult your doctor. These measures are necessary in order to determine the appropriate type of exercises that will benefit patients and prevent the development of osteoporosis. Programs of physical activity are selected by a specialist individually, so do not independently subject your body to various kinds of stresses.
There are also a number of recommendations for performing exercises:
- not to allow fatigue during gymnastics;
- not to make sharp jerks and movements, turns or slopes;
- to comply with all requirements for the technique and sequence of actions;
- follow the rhythm of breathing;
- engage in a moderate pace.
More information on the types of exercises and techniques for their implementation can be consulted by your doctor. Gymnastics in osteoporosis is an affordable, effective and safe method of fighting bone disease!