Causes of aching in the big toe
Many people complain of pain in the feet and most often it hurts the big toe. There are a lot of such symptoms. Some have thumbs because of uncomfortable shoes, others have common fingers due to common body diseases. Such symptoms do not often cause fear among their owners, as a rule, they suffer pain for a long time until there is deformation of the foot or other pathological signs. But it is very important in time to determine why the thumbs ache, because the pain can be one of the signs of a dangerous disease, delay in the treatment of which can cost a person not only health but also life.
Consider the most common causes of pain in the big toe.
Physiological causes of
Pain in the big toe is not always associated with the disease. In most cases, it is due to physiological causes and is the normal response of the body to certain types of stress.
High-heeled shoes with a narrow nose are often the cause of the development of arthrosis of the first toe of the foot
The thumb of the left and right foot plays a very important role. It helps the foot to perform its supporting function, thanks to this structure, the load is evenly distributed throughout the foot. Also, the accumulation of soft tissues of the thumb softens the impacts of the foot when walking and running. Accordingly, this anatomical education daily falls to heavy loads, so pain in the finger can occur:
- with a prolonged stay in an upright position;
- for prolonged walking or running;
- when wearing shoes is not in size;
- for fans of shoes with a sharp and narrow toe;
- when wearing high-heeled shoes, when the center of gravity is shifted to the front of the foot and to the thumb.
Important! If your toe hurts, then, first of all, exclude the above-described reasons. After all, they can cause pain for a long time, and if you do not eliminate such risk factors, then in the future they can develop into a full-blown illness, for example, deforming osteoarthritis, whose treatment is very complex and not always successful.
Traumatic causes of
Everyone can get a bruise of the first toe. To do this, you do not need to be a professional football player, just hit the house on the leg of the table. Thus, in the second place among the causes of pain are traumatic injuries.
There are several types of thumb injuries:
- nail damage,
- dislocation of phalange,
- fracture of bones,
- cut and stab wounds.
In most cases, it is very difficult to immediately determine the type of injury, since the symptoms are practically the same. The exact diagnosis will be made by the traumatologist after examination, finding out the causes and mechanism of injury, radiography.
Symptoms of injury:
- pain is very severe and occurs at the time of injury, in the future it becomes tolerable, but returns again in all movements;
- the pouch under the thumb swells;
- is often present with external signs of trauma: subcutaneous hemorrhage, hematoma;The
- suffers from a finger function;
- with dislocations and fractures, it can take an unnatural position.
If you have bruises of your thumb, you should always seek medical help, because otherwise you can miss a fracture that will not grow properly. And this, in turn, will lead to deformation of the foot, a violation of its function and cosmetic defect.
External signs of a bruise of the first toe
In people, arthrosis of the thumb is mistakenly called gout, although with this disease it has nothing in common. Also, many people incorrectly believe that this disease develops due to malnutrition, mythical salt deposition, etc.
In fact, arthrosis and the resulting deformity of the finger, called halus valgus or simply "bone", can be triggered by the following factors:Also read: Treatment of foot osteoarthritis
- injury in history, and the person most often does not remember about it( fracture, subluxation, severe bruise);
- features the anatomical structure of the skeleton( wide stop);
- flat feet;
- wearing narrow shoes, models with a long and narrow toe, shoes with high heels;
- presence of excess weight;
- with long and constant overloads of the joints of the first finger.
Arthrosis affects women 3 times more often than men. Symptoms of damage to the joint of the thumb do not appear immediately. This process has several stages:
- In the first stage, the pain develops only after overloads, for example, at the end of a working day, a long pedestrian walk. There may be a crunch in the joint when moving. There is no deformation of the finger at this stage, but the patient can notice a minimal bulging of the stone on the foot.
- In the second stage, the pain develops after the usual loads, often for its treatment people start taking painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Deformation aggravated, the bone begins to bulge more strongly, the first finger deviates to the outside of the foot. At this stage in all patients, the size of the shoe increases, and it becomes difficult to choose because of deformity and cosmetic defect.
- In the third stage, the pain in the joint becomes chronic, the painkillers partially lose their effectiveness. The first finger is strongly deflected to the side, because of which other parts are deformed. To treat arthrosis at this stage can only be surgically, and even then, it is not always possible to eliminate the cosmetic defect and return a full function to the stop.
3 degrees of arthrosis of the first toe of the foot( halus valgus)
Gout is a common metabolic disease of the body, which is based on a violation of the metabolism of purine bases with excess production of uric acid and its deposition in the form of salts in peripheral tissues. It is these accumulations of urates in the tissues of the joints that cause the arthritis attack characteristic of gout.
Gouty arthritis develops sharply. Often the pain begins at night amid total health and wakes the patient. In 80% of cases of gout, the metatarsophalangeal joint of the first finger on the foot inflames. In women, gout affects the smaller joints of the hands.
The pain is so sharp that the patient can not touch or step on the foot. At the same time there are other signs of inflammation: swelling, redness of the skin, increase in its temperature. In some people, a gout attack may be accompanied by a fever and a general malaise.
Arthritis lasts 7-10 days without treatment and 4-5 with adequate therapy. As the disease progresses, seizures become longer, and remissions are shorter. Appear deposits of urate under the skin in the form of specific nodules, tofusov. Also, gout can be complicated by the formation of stones in the kidneys and gall bladder.
This inflammation of the joints of the first finger, which can develop for several reasons:
- penetration of pathogenic microorganisms with the development of infectious arthritis( reactive, acute purulent, septic);
- allergic reactions( allergic arthritis);
- autoimmune processes( autoimmune arthritis).
All these factors can cause both acute and chronic inflammation. To establish the cause of arthritis is very important, as treatment depends on this. Although the first toe rarely suffers from such ailments, but its arthritis may be a sign:
- psoriatic arthropathy,
- rheumatoid arthritis,
- systemic lupus erythematosus,
- systemic scleroderma, and other autoimmune diseases.
The most common involvement in the pathological process of the big toe with reactive and psoriatic arthritis. Consider these diseases.
This is one of the manifestations of psoriasis( skin disease).Joint lesions occur in 7% of patients with this disease. Moreover, joint damage can precede skin rash, be observed simultaneously with it or be present after rashes. The most common is the last option. The causes of inflammation of the joints with psoriasis, as well as the disease itself, are unknown.
Joints of one or more fingers can become inflamed. They are asymmetrical. A characteristic feature is axial damage, that is, all the joints of one finger are pulled together at the same time, so that the latter becomes like a sausage. The finger swells up, turns red, the painful syndrome develops.
If the arthritis passes into a chronic form and the patient does not receive the necessary therapy, the foot begins to deform, and the joints are destroyed. This can be the cause of disability.
This is an inflammation of the joints of infectious etiology. The cause most often are urogenital infections, intestinal or respiratory. As a rule, inflammation of the joints begins 10-14 days after the primary infection. Several joints suffer simultaneously, among which there may be the first toe.
Pain has a different intensity. The articulation turns red, swells, the skin over it becomes hot to the touch. In some cases, the limb function is impaired because of pain.
Arthritis is well amenable to antibiotic therapy, never leaves deformities after itself. The prognosis is favorable, but sometimes it can go into chronic with periodic exacerbations.
Other causes of
There is more than one cause of pain in the big toe. Some of them are well known to everyone. Unfortunately, most people do not take them seriously until they feel the pain and discomfort they cause. These include:
- ingrown toenail,
- core corn,
- onoptasises( dry callus),
- foot and nail fungus.
When making a conclusion, it should be noted that pain in the big toe can be a symptom of many, including dangerous, diseases of the body. In each case, such a sign deserves careful attention and specialist advice, because at first the ailment is much easier to cure than then unsuccessfully to combat its consequences.
To prevent dangerous consequences of onochryptosis it is necessary to treat it at an early stage. Do self-medication in this case is not possible, it is better to seek medical help.
Pain in the big toe can occur with gout. The nature of the painful sensations that accompany this ailment is sharp and very pronounced. Concomitant symptoms in this case are inflammation and redness. The gout nodes are formed on the joints of the fingers.
Uric acid crystals provoke the appearance of gouty arthritis. They accumulate in soft tissues and cause unbearable pain. Most men suffer from gout, but this disease is also found in the weaker sex. The average age of patients is 50 years.
A disease like arthritis can also contribute to the appearance of pain in the big toe. Arthritis is characterized by joint damage and destruction of cartilaginous tissue.
Pain can be felt when bending the finger and when walking for long periods. Unpleasant sensations have a aching, and sometimes a boring character. It is possible to stick out a curved bone. At a later stage, the patient notices that the thumb is swollen and slightly deformed.
The causes of the appearance of arthritis have various origins. Frequent causes of arthritis are hypothermia, infectious diseases, poor motor activity.
In the first stage of arthrosis, the patient feels stiffness in the fingers of the left or right leg, depending on the localization of the disease. With the development of arthrosis, the patient may notice that the finger is swollen and twisted. It is possible to bulge the lateral bones. When walking and bending the finger, a sharp pain is felt, it spreads near the inflamed bone.
The causes of arthrosis of the big toe are:
- dislocations, fractures and other injuries;
- wearing narrow shoes;
- hereditary predisposition and anatomical features of the foot.
For joints to remain healthy, preventive measures must be used. Osteoarthritis is better treatable at an early stage.
A pathological change in the natural bending of the foot can also cause pain in the toes. This orthopedic problem can not only change the patient's gait, but also bring discomfort to his habitual life, forcing him to wear special shoes.
The transverse flatfoot causes a curvature of the thumb and bulging of the stone. Pillow wears away and a person feels acute pain. Flat-footedness develops simultaneously in the left and in the right leg. Often this problem prevents walking and causes difficulty in bending the finger.
Methods of treatment
Pain in the big toe can be eliminated with the help of qualified medical therapy. Treatment can be carried out in three main ways:
First of all, we study the methods of drug treatment, they are used in this problem. Let's consider the most effective of them.
For every disease that causes pain in the toes, medication is prescribed. For arthritis, arthrosis, especially if the finger is swollen and there is serious inflammation, treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is recommended. In addition to the removal of inflammation, NSAIDs contribute to a reduction in pain syndrome( naproxen, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, diclofenac).
Chondroprotectors( chondroitin, glucosamine) should be used to restore the damaged articular cartilage. These remedies are also able to cope with the pain.
In addition, with acute intolerable pain, it is possible to use hormonal anesthetic injections. These include steroid drugs( dexamethasone).
To drug therapy can be attributed to the reception of vitamin complexes and bada. These funds are aimed at strengthening the cartilaginous tissue, as well as stopping deformation and bulging of the stone. These complexes have in their composition collagen, vitamin D and calcium - building material of bone tissue.
Surgical treatment of
Cardinal treatment is necessary when the disease that causes discomfort in the finger has a severe form. Surgical surgery is necessary if the patient has such a problem as an ingrown nail. To remove an ingrown nail entirely or part of it is all that a doctor can do in this case.
This operation can be performed by electrocoagulation or phenol. The ingrown nail is removed under local anesthesia. After the intervention, the ingrown nail does not appear with the correct pedicure.
Suspension of the bulging of the bone with arthrosis can also be surgically done. Most often, laser surgery is used for this, since this method has practically no contraindications.
The most commonly prescribed physiotherapy for arthrosis of the big toe: mud treatment, electrophoresis, magnetotherapy, ultrasound. If the finger is swollen and his pillow is red, it is necessary to use electrophoresis. This physiotherapy perfectly removes inflammation and eliminates redness.
Swollen finger pad for arthrosis, arthritis or gout, will return to normal after a magnetotherapy course. It is the magnetic field that has the anti-fouling effect, and also strengthens the bone tissue and prevents the onset of infection.
Complex treatment, combining several types of physiotherapy procedures, not only eliminates painful symptoms of the big toe, but also contributes to the overall improvement of the body.
Aching a big toe - what to do and how to treat
Swelling, soreness, heaviness in the legs, which are periodically experienced by most people, introduces disharmony and disrupts the habitual rhythm of life. Inconvenient shoes, special working conditions, sports loads, injuries can cause discomfort. The heel or arch of the foot, ankle joint, toes - under the sight of various diseases. Why does the big toe hurt and how to deal with it is one of the burning issues of the modern rhythm of life.
Possible causes of pain in the big toe
Uncomfortable shoes, improper nutrition, excess weight, injuries and bumps when exercising, bring pain, numbness to the lower limbs. The presence of a cone on the side of the foot, discomfort when flexing, swelling of the nail zones or foot pads can be caused by the following reasons:
- Household trauma. The falling of heavy objects on the leg, dislocations and sprains of the ligaments often become the source of the fact that the thumb on the foot swells and hurts.
- Reinforced physical activity with insufficient sports training. Sedentary lifestyle, extra pounds of weight give additional load.
- Professional sports. Dislocations of the joints of the thumb on both the right foot and the left foot athletes athletes are often associated with increased load during a jerk.
- "Wrong" shoes.
- Features of work. An eight-hour working day without an opportunity to sit down threatens with weight from the bottom of the foot, swelling of the thumbs.
- Low-quality pedicure.
- Congenital or acquired diseases.
What diseases can cause pain
Inflammation of any joint of the human body is called arthritis. If your big toe hurts, redness or swelling of this zone has appeared, mobility of the metatarsal phalanx has decreased, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Arthritis can be:
- Infectious. Untreated viral diseases reduce overall immunity. Streptococcus enter the joint, destroying the cartilaginous tissue. Begins asymptomatically, gradually turning into aching, stinging pain. Attacks stronger at night, gradually subside by morning.
- Deficient( redundant).The shortage, as well as an overabundance of minerals, vitamins, salts leads to disruption of metabolic processes. The result is the accumulation of harmful deposits in the area of the big toe, which often hurts under load.
The causes of changes in the structure, the action of the joints of the thumb are such diseases as:
- Arthrosis. These are soft tissue disorders and negative cartilage changes.
- Osteoporosis. Reduction of bone tissue, strengthening the brittleness of bones. It is caused by deficiency of calcium and phosphorus.
- Bunion of the big toe. Inflammation of the interarticular sac - bags. Causes: excess salts in the body, deformities of the feet, immune disorders.
- Ploskovalgusnaya deformation of the foot. The disease, called gout, is a "bone on the leg."This is the displacement of the thumbs of the toes inward, while they lose their mobility dramatically, they ache.
- Mortom's Neuroma. Pinched nerves, resulting in thickening of the soft tissues around them. Burning of the extremities, convulsions and tingling symptoms of the disease.
- Damage to the ankle. Tearing ligaments, dislocations, sprains violate the circulation of the foot, the big toes numb, swell.
- Diabetes mellitus. With such diseases, any pain of the extremities is an occasion to consult a specialist. Violation of the circulation of the foot without surgical treatment leads to gangrene and amputation.
If the bone is near the thumb
The formation of swelling in the beginning of the phalanx of the thumb often becomes the beginning of big troubles. It is necessary to find out the cause of the formation on the bone:
- Gout. It arises as a result of accumulation in the joint of salts of uric acid. They gradually calcify, causing the growth of the lateral cones on the legs.
- Hallux valgus - deformation of the thumb. Physiological causes are the internal slope of the foot, which causes significant bone growth on the side and displacement( deviation) to the side. It is considered a "female disease".
- Bursitis promotes the growth of a painfully red, swollen cone in the phalanx of the first finger due to overgrowth and untimely disposal of the joint fluid in the "bag".
The joint of the big toe
Pain in the joint of the thumb is due to arthrosis or arthritis. A timely visit to a specialist will help to get rid of discomfort. Otherwise, the joint will gradually "wear out", surgical intervention will be required. The cause of burning, aching pain at the base of the big toe is damage to the ankles due to significant physical exertion or weight.
Severe pain near the nail when pressing or walking
What causes the area around the thumb of the toe to rest at rest or when walking? Unsuccessful pedicure, damage to the cuticle of the nail plate, fungal lesions, unsanitary conditions, ingrown nail corners often become the trigger for the appearance of redness, swelling and pain of a different nature. If a purulent infection has occurred, it is preferable to consult a surgeon to avoid joint damage.
Inconvenient shoes with a sharp toe, inconsistency in the size of shoes and feet cause mechanical impact on the thumb, squeezing it;walking on heels increases pressure on the pads, infringing the nerve endings.
If the thumb on the leg is swollen and aching
To understand what to do if the thumb is swollen and aching, you need to find out the reason. Often the basis of pain is physical trauma, when on the site of a bruise, stroke, stretching there is swelling. Provide a rest for a few days, to ease the symptoms, use anesthetics, vasoconstrictive ointments.
An ingrown nail that is festering causes a sharp, twitching pain inside the joint and the appearance of a tumor. Warm baths of saline solution, antiseptics, folk remedies - celandine, chamomile - will help get rid of inflammation. Uncomfortable shoes, high heels combined with work "on the feet" - a frequent cause of swelling as the pads of the foot, and thumbs.
What to do and what treatment to take
For pain in the big toes, it is advisable to consult specialists. General recommendations for prevention are the following:
- wearing comfortable shoes with a heel 3-5 cm;
- purchase of orthopedic shoes;
- compliance with a salt-free diet, a minimum of fatty, acute, sweet;
- weight reduction;
- wearing special shoes in common areas: swimming pools, beaches, sports clubs.
With deforming osteoporosis
The destruction of the cartilage around the joint as a result of rapid aging, wear leads to the occurrence of cracks, and even complete destruction. As a consequence, deformation of the joint tissue occurs and bone is exposed. If the big toe hurts, you should reduce the physical load when exacerbating. Physiotherapy procedures - electrophoresis, UHF, magnetic therapy - help to relieve painful sensations. Chondroprotective ointments, anti-inflammatory drugs, pain relievers, permanent treatment satellites for deforming osteoarthritis.
The deposition of salts of uric acid is fraught with painful inflammation and the growth of the cone from the side of the foot. An acute attack of pain is removed at home by applying ice. At the time of recovery, severely restrict the intake of protein foods. An appeal to a rheumatologist will help determine the degree of gout development. To stop the attack, the doctor will pick up anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs, drugs that quickly remove uric acid from the body. The most important means of combating the disease will be a strict salt-free diet with limited protein intake.
With nail fungus
Mycosis lesions can not be cured independently. The advertised preparations of the general spectrum of action often take away the symptoms, but do not treat the disease. Tumescence, inflammation around the nail plate, redness is effectively eliminated after the delivery of tests and advice from a doctor-mycologist. Having determined the type of the affected fungus, the area of infection, severity, the specialist prescribes antimycotic drugs, immunostimulants, ointments and creams. The houses will be well assisted by soap-soda baths, herbal decoctions.
Treatment of ingrown nail
Growth of the nail plate becomes the reason why the nails hurt at the feet of the thumbs. Acute bouts of pain are eliminated by surgery. The initial stage of this disease is curable at home:
- Salt softening baths will help relieve tension. Soft skin, cuticle "release" an ingrown toe of the thumb.
- The length of the nail plate should reach the tip of the finger. Give up a short pedicure and cover with usual varnishes.
- The shape of the nail is straight. Attached with sharp scissors. Cutting the sharp edges of the fillet.
- Herbal infusions act as antiseptic, relieve swelling and inflammation.
To which doctor to apply for diagnosis of the disease
If the big toe hurts for a long time, the pain is acute, it is hard to subside - this is an occasion to consult a specialist. The therapist will perform a primary examination, and if necessary, refer to a narrow-profile physician. Exclude heart disease will help visit a cardiologist and rheumatologist. Hormonal disorders are administered by an endocrinologist. Fight with arthritis, arthrosis and other foot disorders will be an orthopedic surgeon. A traumatologist will tell you how to get rid of the pain in the big toes due to stretching, bruises, dislocations.Like the article? Tell your friends: Lidia Kostyleva December 12, 2015 14:56
I started to break the joint on my thumb at the beginning of the week. To date, the finger is not strong, but swollen and, where it hurts, blushed. From the nail seems to be far away, and the pain is not inflammatory, but it seems to be breaking. I used to break this leg, and now my foot is slightly tucked up, maybe because I changed my shoes to the winter joint. In any case, I will not go to the doctor yet.
Life is full of surprises. And often, such surprises are related to our health. One of these unpleasant moments can become a swollen finger. Sharp pain, an increase in size, swelling and the inability to bend it in the joint, often accompany this condition. And what if my finger is swollen? Let's take everything in order. Swollen extremities can occur for various reasons and causes. Let's try them all on the pages of our article.
Why did my finger swell up? The finger can swell due to traumatic effects. Make sure it is not broken. Signs of a fractured finger will be a sharp increase in soft tissue edema, increased temperature, severe pain, redness, hemorrhage under the skin, inability to produce proper motor activity, unnatural position of the finger.
Before applying to a specialized medical institution, if you swollen your finger on your leg, make an improvised tire, in order to immobilize it. Suitable any improvised means in the form of досочек, палочек, брусков.If the finger is swollen on the hand after the injury, then the easiest tire for him will be a pen or pencil to which he needs to be primed. Remember that the tire is always superimposed so that there is a possibility of fixing the underlying and overlying joint.
Inflammation of the joint
It happens that the finger is swollen and aching, for no apparent reason. There was no trauma, but the phalanx is swollen and does not allow full movement or do the usual work with your hands. In this case, you see an address to a doctor who, based on the results of the X-ray, blood tests, will conclude that the inflammatory processes in the tissues of your finger are occurring. The reasons for this condition can be several, ranging from a banal allergic reaction of the body to progressive arthritis or arthrosis, in which the joints of the fingers and / or toes are swollen.
As a rule, complex treatment is used in such cases, which includes the use of anti-inflammatory drugs, local anti-inflammatory treatment, in the form of creams and ointments, compresses, wraps and lotions.
From the recipes of traditional medicine, you can recommend the use of honey cakes, if you do not have allergies to beekeeping products. For their preparation, take in equal parts flour and honey and, kneading a thick dough out of them, form a small cake, then applying to the sick fingers. Closing the cake with cotton cloth, pribintuyte her bandage. This procedure should be done 3 weeks every day.
joint integrity was broken
In the event that the swelling is due to cuts, abrasions, unsuccessfully cut cuticles and, eventually, led a finger to a purulent inflammation, you should first of all remove it. To do this, use disinfectants. In their series, hydrogen peroxide, furacilin, streptocidal ointment. In the event that the tissues of the finger become wet, use streptocide in powder, changing the drying bandages from bandages twice a day. In the event that the inflammatory process in the finger goes in the depths of tissues and is not expressed by manifestations of putrefactive process, Vishnevsky ointment should be used. Often, local treatment with disinfectants should be combined with antibiotic therapy. However, do not self-medicate! Address to doctors and conduct all procedures under their supervision.
reddened his toe and hurt.
Probably, the ingrowth of the nail into the skin. In this case, correction( remove a small piece of the nail near the lesion), but a relapse is possible. Or a constant pedicure to a good specialist.