What exercises can be performed with osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a systemic progressive disease of the skeleton. The main cause of osteoporosis is the disturbed metabolism in bone tissues, as a result of which the bones lose their density and become very brittle. This process is known as metabolism.
Osteoporosis is one of the most common diseases. In most cases, it worries elderly people. Physical exercises in osteoporosis is one of the most effective ways to prevent possible complications and further development of the disease. Is it possible to prevent the development of osteoporosis?
Specialists advise to pay special attention to nutrition. It is recommended to consume as much as possible food products containing calcium and vitamin D. You can replenish their stock in the body with the help of mineral complexes.
In addition to diet, it is worth paying attention to your lifestyle. Often the sedentary, inactive work leads to the development of osteoporosis. Regularly performing a set of exercises, such troubles can be avoided. Motor activity contributes to the improvement of metabolism, which favorably affects the state of bone tissue.
The complex of exercises is necessary not only in the treatment of osteoporosis, but also as preventive measures. What exercises should I perform? If osteoporosis is at an acute stage, before doing physical exercises, it is recommended that you consult with your doctor. For today, there are a lot of videos from which you can borrow for yourself a set of special medical exercises. At the same time for their implementation is quite suitable home conditions.
In some cases, the complex of exercises for osteoporosis is selected for a certain group of people, while the age, individual characteristics of the patient, the form of the disease can be taken into account. In general, any set of exercises for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis is aimed at improving the metabolism in the body and strengthening bone tissue.
The benefits that exercise can bring
Therapeutic gymnastics allows you to achieve significant success in the treatment of osteoporosis. Regular and correctly performed exercises contribute not only to the formation of muscles, but also to maintaining the strength of bones. As you know, medications have a number of contraindications, in contrast to medical gymnastics, which can only improve the general condition of the body. The complex of exercises in osteoporosis will prevent the further development of the disease.
Most treatment exercises are suitable for people of different age categories. With the help of video lessons you can pick up a set of exercises that will suit you. It is important to take into account your physical abilities. In the event that the skeleton is weakened, the load should not be too intense, but it helps to strengthen the muscles. What exercises should be performed with osteoporosis, you can learn from the following video( video 1).
What should I consider when doing physical exercise?
As mentioned above, therapeutic exercises help improve the condition and prevent the progression of osteoporosis. It is very important to understand that overestimating your physical abilities, you can aggravate the symptoms of the disease. Some physical exercises for people suffering from osteoporosis can be a serious danger. Giving your preference to this or that exercise, it is important not to forget that the bones in osteoporosis become very fragile and vulnerable. Doing exercises is necessary not only taking into account the form of the disease, but also in accordance with the general state of health.
If you decide to do exercises on video lessons, first consult with your doctor. After the examination and( if necessary) additional diagnostic tests the specialist will give his recommendations about the exercises chosen by you. Look at the training video on the performance of exercise therapy( video 2)
For people suffering from osteoporosis, such sports as
- Strength training( hovering on a horizontal bar).This type of exercise helps to strengthen the back.
- Exercises designed to develop flexibility( for example, stretching or yoga).
- Aerobics, which helps to strengthen the muscles of the legs( you can do dances, it is recommended to walk as much as possible and climb the stairs).
- Swimming. As you know, this sport is very useful for all muscle groups.
It is very important that therapeutic exercises do not cause painful and unpleasant sensations. In the event that the pain does arise, the exercise that provoked them should be abandoned.
Therapeutic gymnastics for osteochondrosis
You can begin the lesson with the following exercises:
- Sit in a comfortable position, bending your arms in the elbows. Start your shoulders slowly back, connecting the shoulder blades. Counting to 5, you can relax. Repeat the exercise 10-15 times.
- The following exercise is still performed while sitting. Lower your arms and start making circular motions with your shoulders, first simultaneously, then alternately( 15-20 times each).
- With your hands clasped behind the back of your head and taking a deep breath, take your elbows back, counting up to 5. When exhaling, relax your hands. Repeat the exercise 10-15 times.
- With your hands in your lap, strain all the muscles, counting to 5, try to relax. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Lie on your back and perform 5-10 pull-ups.
- Just lying on your back, try to pull your knees to your stomach, holding them with your hands. Counting to 5, you can return to the original position( enough 5-10 times).
- Continuing to lie on your back, begin to perform movements that mimic cycling. For this exercise, it is enough to devote 5 minutes.
- Lie on one side, leaning on the arm. Lifting the leg, hold it for several seconds( you can count up to 5 for convenience), then lower it. After completing the exercise 10-15 times, change the position.
- Standing on all fours, start to arch and bend your back( 15-20 times).
Recommendations for performing exercises
Exercise should begin with exercises that give a minimum load. The duration of the gymnastics and the number of repetitions is recommended to increase gradually.
While practicing exercise therapy, avoid sharp, careless movements.
From too intense loads, which can cause a fracture, in this case it is worth noting. The number of exercises with an increased risk of various injuries include:
- performing sharp inclinations, turns in the waist;
The main condition for curative gymnastics is a moderate pace. In the case of osteoporosis, weight lifting( dumbbells, weights, bars) is not allowed. Such sports as golf or tennis require special care. Some postures in yoga are also recommended to be treated with caution. It is very important to take into account the recommendations of the physician. All exercises should be coordinated with a professional instructor.
In addition, it is worth adding a bike ride and regular walks in the fresh air. With the help of a timely consultation of a specialist, a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, therapeutic gymnastics that will support muscle tone and strengthen bone tissue, it is possible to prevent the development of osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis treatment and physical training
Osteoporosis treatment and physical training
Physicians have long been sounding the alarm and convincing the population about the need to prevent this disease, and in case of the slightest symptoms, urgent treatment measures. There is a special risk group that is susceptible to the development of osteoporosis, but women who have crossed the forty-year line should pay special attention to the bone condition.
Since in the female body in this period, processes to reduce the production of estrogen( the female sex hormone) begin, as a consequence, osteoporosis may develop.
Elderly women are most susceptible to osteoporosis development
The main causes of osteoporosis development
This disease is a consequence of a number of reasons:
- heredity. If parents suffer from osteoporosis, their children are likely to inherit the risk of bone tissue destruction;
- female floor. As mentioned earlier, it is women who suffer most from this disease. The fastest development of the disease occurs during the menopause;
- chronic diseases of the kidneys, liver, thyroid, diabetes, rheumatism and arthritis - all this can become the root cause of the destruction of bone structure;
- age. In the elderly, significant changes occur in the body, the ability to absorb the necessary vitamins and substances to maintain bone health is reduced. Men after the age of 60 are also at risk;
- lack of calcium and vitamin D;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- bad habits, such as alcohol abuse and nicotine addiction;
- long-term treatment with corticosteroid hormones.
Due to one or more of the above reasons, the bone loses its specific mass due to the washing out of calcium. The structure of the bone tissue becomes loose, respectively brittle and brittle.
Osteoporosis. Structure of bone tissue in healthy form and at the time of
destruction As can be seen in the figure, the healthy bone has a dense porous structure, and in the presence of osteoporosis, the appearance of bone lacunae is observed.
Symptoms of the disease
The main reason why doctors draw attention to the prevention of osteoporosis is that it passes asymptomatically in the early stages. The destruction of bone tissue lasts for years, and it is impossible to cure completely the disease.
Slow work of osteoblasts, which participate in the formation of bone tissue, does not have time to fill lacunae formed by osteoclasts. If before the age of 16 the build-up of bone mass predominates over its decline, then at the age of thirty these processes pass at an equal pace.
After 50 years, bone formation lags far behind its resorption. Thus, up to 5% of the bone mass is lost annually. Filling in the "gaps" that have been formed for decades is impossible, it remains only to prevent further aggravation of the situation. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to any pain in the lumbar region, thoracic spine, wrists and hip joints.
Also on the development of the disease can indicate the fragility of hair and nails, problems with teeth, cramps in the limbs. A clear sign of osteoporosis is a change in posture, which acquires a kyphoid form, accompanied by a decrease in human growth.
Kyphosis posture and decreased growth - signs of osteoporosis
Consequences of "neglected" osteoporosis
This disease is dangerous due to its consequences, which can lead a person to disability, up to a lethal outcome. Untreated osteoporosis is a daily risk of compression fractures of the spine, hip fractures and other bones. In order to get such injuries, it is enough to commit an embarrassing movement or simply to lift heavy bags.
Fragile bones do not withstand strong physical exertion and are "afraid" of sudden movements. That is why elderly people are most prone to frequent fractures of bones. The most dangerous thing is that the splicing of bones in osteoporosis takes too long, or does not happen at all. In such cases, the patient may be confined to bed, and due to this lifestyle, there is a risk of thromboembolism and pneumonia.
Diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis
To diagnose an accurate diagnosis, the doctor prescribes an examination on a densitometer. The examination is painless for the patient, takes from 10 minutes to half an hour. The results of densitometry show the presence of fractures, as well as the structure of bone tissue.
Densitometry - diagnosis of osteoporosis
It is also mandatory to pass blood and urine tests to determine the level of calcium, phosphate, etc.
In the diagnosis of osteoporosis, treatment and physical education are prescribed by a doctor, in accordance with the results of the analyzes. Like many other diseases, the treatment of bone disease is carried out in a complex way, based on:
- exercises of exercise therapy;
- physiotherapy procedures;
- proper nutrition.
Drug treatment is prescribed taking into account the diseases that provoked the appearance of osteoporosis. Since most often this ailment occurs in women in pre-climatic and subsequent periods, hormonal medications are prescribed, which supply the missing estrogens involved in the structure of bone tissue. Hormone therapy is selected individually, which is due to a large list of contraindications.
In addition, such treatment is quite long and requires strict adherence to the schedule of taking medications. Without eliminating the cause, there will be no result in the treatment of the investigation. In the presence of a pain syndrome, painkillers are prescribed.
In order to restore bone tissue, calcium-containing drugs, vitamin D are prescribed for its better absorption, as well as other vitamins. Calcium is an important component of medical treatment of osteoporosis. It is his lack in the composition of bone tissue that causes this ailment.
Therefore, you should strictly monitor that the body receives the required amount of calcium. The daily dose of the mineral for women during menopause is 1200 mg, after its completion 1500 mg.
Calcium intake is an important stage in the treatment of osteoporosis
Attention should be paid to your diet and to consume more calcium-containing foods. These include sour-milk products, nuts, beans. Recorders for the content of calcium - spinach and broccoli. If the required amount of mineral has not been ingested with the products, calcium in the tablets should be taken.
Vitamin D is required for better absorption of calcium. As is known, the greatest amount of this vitamin the body produces under the influence of ultraviolet rays. Therefore, it is so important to make long walks during the day( minimum 40 minutes).
You can also make up for a lack of vitamin by eating foods containing it: egg yolk in raw form, sour-milk products, fatty fish and their liver( for example, cod liver).
Physical training, corset and prevention of osteoporosis
An important component of osteoporosis treatment is the physical activity of the patient. First, with moderate physical exertion, the muscular framework is strengthened, which is a powerful support for fragile bones. Secondly, in physical education improves blood circulation, which stimulates the assimilation of all useful substances and their supply to vital organs, including bone tissue.
Types of exercise and exercise should be approved by a doctor, since there are a number of contraindications. These include traumatic sports, exercises with sharp movements and slopes of the hull, power loads.
In case of serious damage to bone tissue and brittle bones, it is recommended to start exercise therapy in prone position. It is advisable to conduct classes under the supervision of a doctor or coach.
Exercises of exercise therapy in the severe stage of osteoporosis are performed lying down and under the care of the doctor
. In earlier stages of the disease, walking, swimming pool exercises, gymnastic exercises aimed at stretching and strengthening the muscles( yoga, pilates) are recommended. The main rule that all patients must observe is that exercises are performed with the exclusion of pain and sudden movements, which can provoke fractures of the bones.
In case of severe and persistent pain, the patient is assigned to wear a special corset. With its use, the feeling of discomfort in the spine considerably decreases, and it also becomes a good prevention of repeated vertebral fractures.
However, you should not wear it all the time, because when you wear it for a long time, your back muscles are atrophied. As soon as the condition improves, it is necessary to start exercising exercises of exercise therapy, and to wear a corset only in case the load on the spine can not be avoided( a long trip in transport along a bad road, etc.).
Wearing a corset is indicated with fresh compression fractures and severe pains.
Physiotherapeutic procedures are prescribed for the treatment of osteoporosis. It should be remembered that the massage should be gentle, aimed at improving blood circulation and in no case not traumatic.
As you know, the disease is easier to prevent than cure. Therefore, people who have crossed the forty-year boundary, it is necessary to take care of the condition of their bone tissue. To do this, you must follow certain rules: at least once a year to undergo a medical examination, eat right, exercise, and give up bad habits.
Video - Osteoporosis treatment and exercise
LFK in osteoporosis - the use of physical exertion
Dosed physical activity in osteoporosis is extremely important and is indicated to the majority of patients. Exercise physical therapy, as well as healthy nutrition, increase the effect of drug therapy and non-traditional treatment. Specially designed exercises strengthen the muscular framework, which is a reliable support for thinned and fragile bones. Thanks to regular studies, it is possible to prevent fractures - the inevitable consequences of neglected osteoporosis. In addition, exercise therapy improves blood circulation in the body, and therefore normalizes metabolic processes. Useful substances enter the bone tissue and the renewal of the destroyed structures is accelerated.
Some exercises of exercise therapy in osteoporosis help to improve coordination of movements and flexibility, to strengthen the vestibular apparatus. Due to this, you can avoid accidental falls and reduce the risk of injury.
The motor activity is indicated for patients suffering from osteoporosis who have a decrease in bone mass not exceeding 30%.In cases of complicated and prolonged time of progressive osteoporosis, the expediency of using physical exertion is determined by a specialist, since the skeleton of patients is very weak and any sharp movement can cause severe fractures. As a rule, with increased brittleness of bones, it is recommended that the exercise therapy be performed in the supine position and under the control of the orthopedist.
Types of exercises of therapeutic gymnastics patients are selected by the attending physician, individually. It takes into account the age of people, the presence of diseases such as hypertension and obesity. Patients are counter-indicative of power loads, traumatic sports and certain types of exercises associated with intense movements.
Types of Exercises
LFK in osteoporosis is the best method of treatment and prevention of softening of bones .
Below are the simplest exercises available to everyone and not requiring much effort, but at the same time contributing to the fight against the disease.
Exercises in prone position on the back:
- Pull the ankles up and straighten the knees to the tension in the legs. In this case, the back should be straight, the palms are pressed to the floor, and the buttocks are also strained.
- Bend your knees and tear your hips off the floor, arched arched. Blades and palms should not be torn from the surface.
- Bend your knees, wrap them around your arms and slowly pull them to your chest, pressing tight against your chest. Do not make sudden movements!
Exercises in the position on all fours:
- Keep your hands and knees on the floor, perform smooth deflections in the back, casting and dropping your head.
- Pull one arm forward and simultaneously tear off the floor and straighten the opposite leg( right arm - left foot and vice versa).The abdominal muscles keep in suspense.
- With your hands on your waist, feet together, carry the rolls from your toes to the heels. Keep an eye on the balance!
- With your hand on the wall or back of the chair, make a smooth swing with your foot, changing position.
- Having adopted the comfortable position of the foot on the width of the shoulders, raise and lower the straightened arms above the head.
With weakening bones, it is recommended to supplement the morning exercises with walking, swimming pool, cycling( with the development of the initial stages of osteoporosis).
When performing exercises of exercise therapy for osteoporosis, it is important to monitor breathing, smooth movements and the body's response. If discomfort or pain occurs, stop the session and consult a doctor!
Gymnastics for Osteoporosis - types of exercises
In the development of osteoporosis in bone tissues irreversible processes of destructive nature occur, which can only be stopped with the help of prolonged complex treatment. In addition to medications, patients with this disease require the use of other treatment methods. Patients with mild and moderate forms of osteoporosis are prescribed special gymnastic exercises that help to strengthen the muscular skeleton. This is necessary in order to prevent possible fractures, which often occur with thinning of bones. Physical activity helps improve metabolic processes in the body, which is very favorable for the skeleton.
Gymnastics in osteoporosis includes a set of special exercises, the performance of which will not harm the weakened and fragile bones. Many people believe that with a reduction in bone mass and a tendency to fracture, any physical activity is contraindicated. But such an opinion is deeply erroneous, since well-planned and regular classes are the prevention of injuries and injuries.
Physiotherapy and gymnastics in osteoporosis are accessible and effective methods of treatment, preventing fractures and their complications.
Types of exercises
Depending on what the load of physical exercises, they are divided into these types:
- Dynamic gymnastics.
- Flexibility exercises.
- Training for resistance.
Dynamic are considered such exercises as long walking, dancing pas, climbing the stairs. During such actions, the musculoskeletal system is loaded, and the muscles work against gravity in the vertical position of the body.
Flexibility develop exercises that help to gradually stretch the muscles and increase their tone. You can engage in any position - standing, sitting or lying down, lifting minor weights or applying special training equipment for stretching.
Classes on horizontal bars, swimming refers to training for resistance and also strengthen and develop musculature well.
Therapeutic exercises for osteoporosis consist of a whole complex of physical actions, and in each case, patients may be assigned a certain type of exercise. The following are those that are mandatory and are considered safe:
- Standing position, feet shoulder width apart, hands are located on the belt. One leg is withdrawn, the other is partially bent at the knee joint. In this position do shallow squats. The number of repetitions is 5 times for each leg.
- The position is the same, the load is applied to the muscles of the upper limbs. On inhale, the hands are raised above the head, then bent at the elbows and exhaled to bring together the shoulder blades. This is done 10 times, following the breath.
- Do not change the position make the corners of the body, trying to reach the dynamics in the movements, so that the trunk unwound by inertia. It is recommended to perform 10-15 turns. Such a gymnastic exercise will not only increase muscle tone, but will also improve the performance of the vestibular apparatus. In the future, this will protect against accidental falls, which can lead to fractures.
- Position lying on the back, legs bent at the knees, palms pressed to the floor along the body. In this position, the exercise "bicycle" is done - the forward movements of the limbs in a circle. The duration of the lesson is up to 1 min.
- Position lying on one side, hands behind head. The lower leg is bent at the knee, and the second one is straightened and raised to the maximum possible height. Hold the limb in a tension of up to 10 seconds, then change position and repeat the same actions for the other leg.
- Position kneeling, hands resting on the floor. Alternately raise first the upper limbs, then lower, lingering in each position for 10 seconds. Thus, the weight of the body is transferred throughout the body, training muscle mass.
Advantages of gymnastics
Physical activity is one of the main ways to correct various orthopedic diseases, and osteoporosis is no exception.
Special exercises will help patients strengthen bones and muscles, improve flexibility and mobility. Classes have a positive effect on the coordination of movements, which makes it easier for people to maintain balance and avoid spontaneous falls that lead to serious consequences.
Given that osteoporosis develops mainly in elderly patients, whose body is already weakened, gymnastics should become an integral part of their life. Keeping in the measure of an active way of life will help to inhibit destructive processes in bone structures and increase the resistance of the organism to the influence of various unfavorable factors.
Therapeutic gymnastics for osteoporosis is especially indicated for women who have had menopause. Numerous studies of the effectiveness of physical training have shown that with regular long walking, performing power and other special exercises, there is an increase in mass and an increase in the density of the bones of the spine and hip - the parts of the body most vulnerable to fractures.
Before starting the exercises in physiotherapy, it is necessary to undergo a comprehensive examination and consult with your doctor. These measures are necessary in order to determine the appropriate type of exercises that will benefit patients and prevent the development of osteoporosis. Programs of physical activity are selected by a specialist individually, so do not independently subject your body to various kinds of stresses.
There are also a number of recommendations for doing exercises:
- not to allow fatigue during gymnastics;
- not to make sharp jerks and movements, turns or slopes;
- comply with all requirements for the technique and sequence of actions;
- follow the rhythm of breathing;
- engage in a moderate pace.
More information about the types of exercises and the technique of their implementation can be consulted by your doctor. Gymnastics in osteoporosis is an affordable, effective and safe method of fighting bone disease!