Elbow pain: causes and treatment
Human hands can be very strong and hardy, but they also undergo the most intense, intense and long-lasting physical work. This especially applies to the elbow joint. Sooner or later, this leads to the fact that the elbow begins to signal us about impending problems with the help of pain syndrome. The obvious procedure for eliminating the causes of pain in the elbow is treatment, recovery and further prevention. We will understand, what are the reasons of occurrence of pains in an elbow joint, and that to us the doctor as a treatment most likely will appoint or nominate.
Why does the elbow joint hurt?
The reasons why the elbow joint bothers you may be many, but the most common ones are: epicondylitis, reflected pain from the cervical spine, arthritis, arthrosis. Let's consider each of the listed reasons in more details.
People who work extensively with their hands, elbows are at risk for the disease. For example, many athletes
The disease is more traumatic than pathological. Occurs when the joint is too intense to damage the tendon. This can be both a sharp impact, and smooth, but long-lasting. People who are engaged in heavy physical labor of the question, why they hurt elbows, do not arise, but the same symptoms can arise after a short but "unusual" load.
In epicondylitis, the pain manifests itself mainly in the case of rotational movements or load on the joint. In a state of rest or with daily movements, pain is not observed.
With the reflected pain coming from the cervicothoracic spine, the elbow joint of its kind does not change from the outside( as in the case of epicondylitis), but the character of the pain changes. In this case, the pain disturbs even in a state of rest, often the patient even wakes up at night from severe pain in the elbow joint.
With arthrosis, as a rule, there is no too intense pain in the elbow. And they are felt only when trying to maximally bend or straighten the hand. But, as for physical indicators, the situation here is different. Movement in the elbow is often accompanied by a crunch, stiffness is observed, the hand can not fully unbend, and eventually the bone begins to deform.
Pain in the elbow joint with arthritis - an inflammatory nature, and therefore they are often quite strong. Disturbs pain not only during movement, but also at rest. The affected area swells and redness is observed.
In each of these cases, if the elbow joint hurts, treatment will be absolutely necessary, since the disease itself will not pass. How to define the disease and how to start the fight against the disease? Next we will talk about this.
"Diagram" of the elbow
How to diagnose and treat?
If you observe a pronounced pain, the causes of which are not entirely obvious to you, you should immediately consult a doctor. The source of pain may be one, but the nature of the disease is the most varied, up to infectious. In addition to pain, swelling and stiffness during flexion / extension can be observed.
First the doctor examines your elbow visually and will prescribe a radiograph. In most cases, based on this, treatment will be prescribed, but not the fact that the diagnosis will end there.
It is possible, you will need a blood test, urine, and even fluorography. The fact is that such pain can be a consequence of infectious processes, in particular, even tuberculosis. Infectious disease causes inflammation of the periarticular bag. This state of affairs may require surgical intervention, sometimes extremely urgent. This is one of the reasons why you should not hesitate to visit a doctor. If the cause of the pain is still an infection, but the operation is not necessary, you will be prescribed a course of antibiotic therapy.
In less critical cases, problems arise due to various arthritis, arthrosis, epicondylitis, and, of course, injuries. And the injuries can also be not quite obvious, because an elbow injury is not necessarily a dislocation or fracture. In any of these cases, your doctor will be treated by a traumatologist and rheumatologist.
If during treatment all the same worries pain in the elbow joint - with this you need to somehow fight. For this purpose, the doctor will prescribe to you pills, injections or ointments, or even all together, depending on the specific case.
After the acute inflammation is removed, you will be assigned various physiotherapy procedures, massage and exercise therapy.
If the disease has already overtaken, then the choice is small - we must begin treatment of pain in the elbow joint, or rather the causes that caused it. But if the worst has not yet come to pass, you have a chance to push back the inevitable aging processes in time, and perhaps even avoid exhausting pains in the elbow joints.
Try to avoid excessive physical exertion, but do not overdo it. Moderate physical load keeps muscles in a tonus, and they, in turn, largely determine the condition of the joint. It is extremely important to have a balanced diet and avoid excess weight. And do not be lazy to carry out preventive examinations at the doctor more often.
Why does the pain in the elbow joint with physical activity and after it?
Why there is pain in the elbow joint after physical exertion? This question patients often ask the doctor. The pain can be caused by different reasons. However, despite the factors, the symptoms can be very similar.
Many patients note stiffness of movements, pain in elbow cartilage, feeling of aches and lumbago.
Moreover, after physical exertion, there is an increase in pain.
How does the pain in the elbow joint manifest?
There are a lot of reasons for the appearance of soreness in the elbow, as well as the symptoms. The elbow joint has a complex structure. It is formed by three bones, which covers a strong cartilage. It is necessary for the joint to perform the movements we are accustomed to. And we do not even think how the joint works.
Modern diagnostic methods allow you to quickly identify the disease. On the x-ray, all the components of this joint are very clearly visible. Therefore, with timely access to a doctor, you can begin treatment and get rid of the disease. In addition, the first manifestations of the disease are quite hidden.
Painful sensations at the initial stage are not strong, so they can be tolerated for a long time. They rarely arise without a reason. Most often manifested as a mild ailment, characterized by lumbago. At the initial stage of the disease, in order to eliminate them, enough rest or gymnastics.
However, gradually the symptoms begin to build up, there is a feeling of discomfort. Most patients do not assess this situation as serious. They use traditional medicine, homeopathy, questionable prescriptions, which only distort the clinical picture and temporarily alleviate the condition of the patient.
As a rule, pain appears as a result of wear of the cartilage of the joint. Joints are sufficiently strong and can withstand heavy loads. For a long time they endure great overloads, but over the years the joints wear out, and the cartilaginous tissue becomes thinner.
The most common wear of the elbow joints occurs at high physical exertion, when the severity is lifted, and also manifests itself with age. At risk are athletes and people working at the computer. Before treating the elbow joint, you need to find out the reason for the pain sensations in it.
The causes of
The "elbow of a tennis player" is characterized by the fact that when performing movements related to flexion and extension of the elbow joint, when the joint is probed, the patient experiences pain. Such soreness is characterized by localization from the hand to the elbow. It can happen after a workout or with a long work in the suburban area. This disease has a medical name - external epicondylitis. Most often it occurs in people in middle age. Another such condition is possible after long playing sports.
Internal epicondylitis( "elbow of a golfer") is manifested by pain that has localization from the inside of the hand. With palpation, the pain is distinct.
Today joint diseases are determined not only in elderly people, but also in young patients.
|09/07/2015 12: 38Author: Sofia Solntseva One of the most frequent complaints when taking a surgeon - it hurts the elbow. There is such a nuisance for a variety of reasons, and as a result, lost efficiency, the person suffers from exhausting pain. |
If the elbow hurts - the causes of
Painful sensations in the elbow joint may be symptoms of other pathologies or a sign of an independent ailment.
1. Common causes:
- various processes with inflammation( gout, tendinitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tumors);
- osteophytes, leading to the development of tunnel syndrome.
2. "Golfer's elbow"( inner epicondylitis or golfer's elbow) is determined by the specific pain that appears when the wrist is bent. Diagnosed by palpation in the place where the muscles attach to the epicondyle medial.
3. "Tennis player's elbow" manifests itself when the hand is unbent. It occurs if the organism, unaccustomed to physical exertion, suddenly undergoes significant loads. The source of pain is the external epicondyle in the shoulder bone. Unpleasant sensations move down to the brush. One of the symptoms of this pathology is pain in the resistance to extension of the wrist joint.
4. Bursitis is an inflammatory process in the superficial bag of the elbow process, appears with frequent injuries of the elbow in the posterior-lower part. Diagnosed by a soft new growth located in the elbow region.
5. To the development of acute ulnar disease lead hemophilia or neurotrophic arthropathy.
6. It is fraught with unpleasant sensations in the elbow area and monoarthritis of the joint of the hand, as well as deforming osteoarthritis. Fortunately, cases of the disease with such ailments are very rare.
7. Intervertebral hernia, along with osteochondrosis, make themselves felt because of the infringement of the nerve roots. The disease is accompanied by a change in the sensitivity of the skin, a violation of the functions when flexing.
8. A variety of injuries due to which the joint of the arm suffers, occur as a result of accident, violation of requirements in sports, non-compliance with safety rules and regulations at work, road accidents.
Why the arms hurt from the shoulder to the elbow
When the arms hurt from the shoulder to the elbow, then they rise with difficulty, the efforts are accompanied by extremely unpleasant sensations. If in this case, circular movements can not be performed without acute pain, and during sleep on the side felt aching, it means that the shoulder-scapular periarthritis develops.
It is an inflammatory process in the periarticular tissues of the shoulder( capsule), in the ligaments and tendons. It is accompanied by tension and edema of the shoulder muscles. The arms from the shoulder to the elbow hurt heavily due to the compression of the nerves with abnormally altered tissues.
Why the arm from the wrist to the elbow of the
hurts? The reason that the arm from the wrist to the elbow hurts may be trauma. With strong overloads of the wrist joint or monotonous, often repetitive movements, the tunnel syndrome manifests itself.
The hand from the wrist to the elbow often hurts if the inflammatory processes of the structural components of the joint( epicondylitis, bursitis) occur.
Arthrosis, arthritis of both the wrist and the elbow are also a common cause of the onset of pain.
If the left elbow hurts
If the pain and burning sensation in the left elbow is felt, then you must definitely come to the doctor for an examination. It can be the irradiation of unpleasant sensations reflected from internal organs. That is, the threat of a heart attack, a heart attack is quite likely. It is possible that this is a symptom of the onset of angina pectoris. It happens that the imprint imposes the arising problems from the side of the pancreas or stomach with the liver. Perhaps, it makes me aware of the stomach ulcer.
This is why, if the left elbow hurts, it is required to exclude the threat of a heart attack, angina before starting treatment. If there is a suspicion that this reflected pain and human health is in danger, he is urgently hospitalized.
If the right elbow hurts
If the right elbow hurts, then the reasons can be the most banal. But it can also be the irradiation of pain in the joint. The phenomenon is that any internal organ suffers, and the pain is "transported" to other parts of the body.
At occurrence of an atypical pain in an elbow of the right arm or hand the cholecystitis, a biliary colic are diagnosed. Treatment begins with the elimination of the causes of unpleasant sensations.
If the elbow hurts - diagnosis
Depending on the etiology, the pain can gradually pass itself. But in some cases, when it hurts the elbow, you can not postpone visiting the medical institution in any case. Urgent diagnosis will be necessary with the following symptoms:
- an attempt to raise or hold even a not very heavy subject causes very severe pain;
- pain in the joint of the hand worries around the clock, does not pass for a long time;
- the problem has arisen after the suffered trauma;
- the signs of infection are clearly traced - the body temperature is high, the person suffers from fever, the epidermis around the joint changes color( redness of the skin), a swelling is formed.
Initial assumptions the doctor makes even during the interview. The patient should tell in detail about the situation after which there was pain, about his feelings. The doctor conducts palpation and visual inspection of the sore spot.
To specify the diagnosis and make the right appointment, the doctor can recommend carrying out various diagnostic procedures.
1. X-ray. It is prescribed for the transferred injuries, arthrosis or arthritis.
2. General blood test. It is recommended for joint lesions of inflammatory nature, incomprehensible origin of painful sensations, suspicions on the development of malignant neoplasms.
3. Inspection neurologist. It is required for osteochondrosis, neuritis or the syndrome of the cubital canal.
4. ECG followed by cardiologist consultation. It is recommended if the patient suffers from severe, burning pain in the joint of the left arm.
5. MRI, computed tomography are shown when there is a suspicion of a malignant tumor, deforming arthritis, osteochondrosis.
Why does the elbow hurt in the joint
? Approximately in 40% of cases when the elbow hurts in the joint, the fault lies on the epicondylitis. It occurs with very strong overloads and injuries to the tendons. The main symptom is pain in the joint of the elbow when trying to load it, with rotational efforts( turning the wrench, working with a screwdriver), while playing tennis. At rest, the pain is not felt.
Another 40% - the cause is the reflected pain from the internal organs. As in the previous case, the visual ailment is not determined, the mobility of the connection is preserved.
10% of cases are arthritis and arthritis. When the elbow hurts in the joint with such ailments, then an inflammatory process is observed, the edema develops, the area around the sore spot swells.
What to do if the elbow hurts - treatment
The main question for a person suffering from severe discomfort: if the elbow hurts what to do( treatment)?The appointment of a doctor can be divided into several groups.
If the elbow hurts immediately after the injury, then the arm, bending in the correct position, is fixed with a special bandage( done by yourself).The sufferer is given painkillers such as ketorol, nurofen, before specifying whether the patient has an allergy. The patient is then taken to the hospital for professional examination.
Pain, if there is swelling and there are no abnormalities in the ability to move, take off in the first day with cold compresses( hold for a long time not possible), in the subsequent - warm.
If the injury was not, but worried about the incessant burning pain, then we urgently need to see a doctor to prevent the development of heart disease.
The specialist prescribes the following physiotherapy procedures to relieve the pain, restore and make the blood circulation more active in the affected areas:
- shock wave therapy( used to treat epicondylitis);
In particular, diseases such as arthritis, gout, bursitis, arthrosis associated with the wear of cartilage in the joints and the formation of osteophytes, today is not uncommon. Often, the disease occurs simultaneously, while the pain is intense and accompanies a person constantly.
Pain in the elbow joint is sometimes associated with osteochondrosis. The seriousness of the situation is not understood by all. However, chondrosis can lead to the fact that a person who looks outwardly perfectly healthy can be deprived of limbs. Most often, the disease is chronic and characterized by periodic exacerbations. In this case, the small nerve roots of the discs or vertebrae are jammed. Often this is manifested by pain, loss of sensation occurs. Hands do not bend, so it seems that the problem is in the elbows.
Pain in the elbow may be, for example, a consequence of a trauma with a bruise. We often injure elbows, for example, when striking against a wall or an angle. Such pain is acute, and there is a feeling that the hand is numb. After a while, the pain passes, and it seems that there is no cause for concern. However, it is not. Even if the blow was insignificant, a microscopic crack appears in the joint, which can overtake. However, the more often the joints are injured, the more likely it is that the disease will eventually develop.
If the elbows are aching often, the cause may be a fracture( open or closed).Such pain is characterized by intensity and leads to a complete loss of mobility of the elbow. This changes the structure of the elbow joint, this is due to a violation of blood circulation. The danger of this condition is that such complication as Volkmann's ischemic contracture can develop.
Symptoms of this condition are very characteristic:
- Hands freeze.
- Skin color changes in the elbow area. Analgesics do not help.
- The fingers of the hands swell.
When performing physically hard work or abrupt movement, there can be a sharp stretching of the muscle tissue, which sometimes leads to rupture. With the load on the shoulder muscles, the weight is distributed precisely in this area, which can cause such injury. The pain is localized in the elbow area, while the elbow loses mobility. When you try to bend or straighten your arm it hurts.
In the event that the pain occurs during any movement, this may be due to tendonitis. This disease leads to an acute inflammation of the tendons in the places where they attach to the joints.
Epicondylitis is a disease that is diagnosed often enough. The pain is periodic and appears when certain movements are performed. In other periods of pain do not bother. This is because the inflammation of the muscle begins. The pain is very strong, and taking an analgesic does not bring relief.
Often, pain in the elbow during exercise is associated with inflammation of the ulnar nerve, which can occur in both acute and chronic forms. Most cases of the manifestation of pain are associated with joint injuries. That's why it's not easy to take them lightly.
How to eliminate pain syndrome?
Pain in any part of the body does not appear by itself, most often there is a serious reason. Many patients face severe joint diseases, which eventually lead to disability.
This is because they engaged in self-medication. Temporary relief does not help getting rid of the disease. You can take analgin or another pain medication, but if the pain is chronic, then you need to be treated thoroughly.
With most diseases, you can cope quickly enough if you find them at an early stage, until they begin to progress. In most cases, you can do without the use of drugs. To do this, you need to find out and eliminate the cause of the pain. Therefore, the doctor must supervise the treatment.
All right or left elbow pains all causes and methods of treatment
Pain in the elbow - nature, causes, treatment
- Exercise for elbow pain - video
Causes of pain in the elbowPainful sensations in the elbow joint can occur for a variety of reasons. Conditionally they can be divided into: 1. Lesions directly articular cartilage and bones:
- neuritis of the ulnar nerve;
- osteochondrosis of the spine and intervertebral hernia;
Arthritis pain in arthritisArthritis is an inflammatory joint damage that is one of the manifestations of any systemic connective tissue disease:
- metabolic disorders;
- autoimmune pathologies.
Pain in the elbow joint with arthrosisArthrosis is a degenerative-dystrophic joint disease, caused by the destruction of the cartilaginous tissue on the articular surfaces. With arthrosis of the elbow joint pain sensations are not as intense as with arthritis. In addition, the pain occurs only with movements with a maximum amplitude, that is, when trying to maximally unbend the arm at the elbow, or bend it tightly. Immediately at the time of movement in the joint, you can often hear a crunch, and he himself acquires some swelling. The elbow is almost painless to the touch, its redness and increase in the local temperature of the skin are not observed. This is explained by the absence of an intensive inflammatory process. With progression of the disease, mobility in the elbow joint gradually decreases. It is more difficult for the patient to completely bend or straighten his arm to the end. The amplitude of available movements decreases. With neglected arthrosis, the patient's hand always remains slightly bent at the elbow. As a rule, this pathology affects both elbow joints, and can spread to other joints.
Injuries to the elbow jointThe elbow joint is often susceptible to various injuries. Their origin can be various: falling on a hand or on an elbow, sports, industrial, automobile and other traumas. Almost always injuries of the elbow joint are accompanied by painful sensations of varying intensity.
Dislocation of the elbow jointDislocation is a violation of the mutual correspondence and location of the joint surfaces, both with damage to the joint capsule, and without it. The general symptoms of the dislocation are as follows:
- redness of the skin over the damaged joint;
- rather intense pain;
- swelling of the joint.
Subluxation of radial bone in childrenIn children 3-4 years of age, when stretching or raising the arm, a subluxation of the radial head sometimes develops. It manifests itself with sudden pain in the elbow and in the hand, limiting the amplitude of movements in the elbow joint. This injury is associated with the fact that the children's articular ligaments are still very elastic and stretch well, which allows the articular surfaces to disrupt their spatial arrangement. Elbow dislocation can be combined with tendon lacerations, as well as with broken bones that make up the elbow joint.
Fracture in the elbow jointPain sensations in fractures of the elbow are expressed very intensely, which is due not only to bone trauma, but also damage to fragments of nearby nerves, vessels and tissues. Usually at the moment of fracture you can hear a characteristic crunch. Movements in the hand are severely limited, down to total impossibility, the joint sharply changes its normal shape. Often there are bruises caused by rupture of blood vessels.
Ischemic contractureOne of the most serious complications in the fracture of the elbow joint is the ischemic contracture of Volkmann. It arises as a result of acute violation of the arterial blood flow in the hand due to damage to blood vessels, or squeezing them with increasing edema on the elbow. Symptoms of such arterial ischemia are:
- growing pain in the fracture region, which is not removed by analgesics;
- sharp blanching of the skin on the arm;
- cooling of limb;
- rapidly increasing swelling of the fingers.
Pain in the arm and elbow when the tendon of the elbow is brokenWhen the tendon tears break, the biceps or the biceps arm muscle most often suffers. In some cases, tendon and several muscles can be detached. In this pathology, there are:
- a violation of active movements in the upper limb;
- reduced elbow flexion;
- appearance of asymmetry of the shape of the muscles in comparison with the intact limb;
- edematous phenomena;
- pain syndrome.
Pain in the knees and elbows with chondrocalcinosisChondrocalcinosis is a joint damage, which is associated with the deposition of calcium salts in articular cartilages. This process disrupts mobility in the joint, causes the appearance of pain syndrome, swelling and swelling. There are several clinical forms of this disease: Pseudogout is characterized by a sharp onset with pain, redness of the skin, swelling of the joint and a pronounced restriction of mobility. The pain attack is accompanied by an increase in temperature, body and has a duration of up to several weeks. Attacks of pseudogout in some patients are provoked by an operative intervention( especially often - about the removal of the parathyroid gland), acute vascular pathologies( stroke, myocardial infarction) or traumas. In the interictal period, all listed articular symptoms can disappear almost completely. Pseudorheumatoid arthritis is characterized by morning stiffness, swelling, swelling and progressive deformation of the joints, as well as the development of contractures and mobility limitations. The destructive form of occurs most often in women over the age of 60 years. It flows in the form of polyarthritis - that is, it affects several joints at once. Can be involved as elbows, and knee, shoulder, hip and ankle joints. This form of chondrocalcinosis is accompanied by strong pain sensations and impaired function of the joints. Latent form. Sometimes deposition of calcium crystals in the cartilaginous tissue is observed, which is practically not manifested clinically. In this case, pain in the joints is absent, and pathology is revealed by the results of the X-ray.
Acute pain in the elbow when forming osteophytesOsteophytes are pathological growths on the surface of bone and cartilaginous tissue. As a rule, such marginal proliferation occurs with deforming loads or as a result of calcium metabolism disorders. The development of osteophytes takes a long time, and is accompanied by a restriction of mobility in the joint. In addition, these dense formations always provoke the emergence of acute, intense pain, caused by damage to surrounding tissues during movements in the joint.
Pain in the elbow during flexion and extension due to synovial chondromatosisJoint chondromatosis is a disease characterized by a disruption in the formation of cartilage and the formation of cartilaginous or, more rarely, bony bodies in the joint. In fact, chondromatosis is a defect in the development of cartilaginous tissues. This disease is often detected even in early childhood. It is manifested by deformation of bones and joints, lameness( with knee injury), progressive limb shortening. The cause of pain and joint blockages is an inflammatory process that joins the chondromatosis. In addition, in the cavities of the affected joints, "articular mice" are often found - additional cartilaginous or bony formations. They can also hamper movement in the joint, and if the cartilage or joint bag is damaged - cause the onset of pain syndrome. The clinical picture of chondromatosis includes:
- tenderness when flexing and flexing the elbow;
- swelling and stiffness of the joint;
- in some cases - crunching when moving in the affected joint;
- , sometimes with superficially located intra-articular bodies, they can be identified by touch.
Burning pain in the elbow with goutGout is a disease that is associated with impaired purine metabolism. It is characterized by an increase in the amount of uric acid in the blood, and the deposition of its salts( urates) in the joint tissues. When the ulnar joint is injured, patients complain of burning, painful painful sensations. A typical gouty attack begins more often with the onset of pain in the joint of the big toe. With the development of the disease, more and more joints are involved in the pathological process( including ulnar ones) - polyarthritis develops. Most gouty attacks begin at night. They flow with a rapid increase in redness and an increase in the temperature of the skin around the joint. His puffiness and soreness increases sharply. Inflammation can also capture soft tissue, manifesting a clinical picture of cellulite or phlebitis. In severe cases, the attack is accompanied by an increase in the total body temperature. The usual duration of gouty attacks is up to several days, and sometimes several weeks. After the subsides, symptoms return to normal form. A characteristic symptom of gout is tofusi - the foci of abnormal condensation of the subcutaneous tissue. In typical cases, tofus are localized over the affected joints, on the auricle, on the extensor surfaces of the forearms, shins and thighs, on the Achilles tendon or on the forehead.
Elbow ache with elbow tumorThe first symptoms that allow one to suspect the presence of a malignant pathological process in the body are weakness, rapid fatigue, spontaneous increase in body temperature, loss of appetite and weight. This is a syndrome of "small signs", characteristic of most tumors. In case of localization of the tumor in the elbow joint, one of the most common signs will also be pain. First, the pain syndrome does not have a pronounced intensity, and sometimes disappears spontaneously. With the development of pathology, the pains become persistent, persistent, increasing with time, and also at night. Usually they are described as aching. They practically can not be influenced by anesthetics. Pain can change its intensity, but the faster the tumor grows, the pain becomes stronger there. In addition, tumor formation of various sizes can be detected visually, and limit mobility in the affected joint. Sometimes the first symptom of an articular tumor can be fractures that are not associated with trauma or other damage, but arise spontaneously, when lifting weights, sudden movements, and sometimes even at rest. In such cases, fractures are caused by instability of the bone structures, because during the growth of the tumor, the bones lose their natural strength.
Pain in the elbow bend with tendinitisTendonitis is the inflammation of the tendons in the place of their attachment to the joint. The general clinical picture of this pathology includes:
- pain in the elbow joint with active movements that require involvement of the affected tendon;
- painlessness of similar passive movements;
- pain sensations when feeling along the affected tendon;
- redness of the skin and an increase in their temperature over the area of inflammation;
- crunching when the tendon moves, audible at a distance or through a phonendoscope;
- swelling in the area of the affected tendon.
Pain in the elbow during exercise due to epicondylitis of the elbow jointEpicondylitis is an inflammatory lesion of the ligamentous elbow joint apparatus that is provoked by chronic overloads or microtraumas of the tendons of the arm. A characteristic sign of this pathology is pain in the elbow joint, which occurs with load on the arm, such as wearing heavy weights and trying to lift something heavy. In addition, the pain sensations arise and with such movements of the hand, which are produced with a rotational force. So, the pain often occurs when turning a wrench or tight lever, a long work with a screwdriver, practicing some sports( for example, wrestling and tennis) or after active agricultural work. Monotonous, repetitive movements of the hand and a high load on the elbow joint, cause microdamages of various tissues of the joint( muscles or ligaments), which provokes the development of this disease. Ordinary everyday movements, unbending and flexing of the elbow, which are performed without loads and resistance, most often do not bring unpleasant sensations. In addition, with epicondylitis is not typical and the occurrence of pain at rest. In epicondylitis, joint mobility is also not disturbed - the arm is bent and unbent at the elbow in full. Externally, the elbow joint looks absolutely healthy and unchanged. Only when feeling it is the soreness on the condyles of the joint, i.e.on the bones on the sides. There are two main forms of epicondylitis: external and internal.
Pain in tightening and other loads with external epicondylitis, or "tennis player's elbow"External( lateral) epicondylitis refers to the inflammation of the tendons of the muscles that unbend the wrist at the place of attachment to the bones. The function of the elbow joint with the "tennis player's elbow" practically does not suffer, and the pathology is manifested mainly by the pain syndrome. The appearance of pain is usually preceded by an unusual or increased load - intense exercise after long breaks, prolonged work in the garden, etc. The patient is most often able to accurately indicate the place of the greatest soreness, which corresponds to the external epicondyle of the humerus. With this pathology, there is often a spread of pain down to the wrist along the outer surface of the forearm. Another characteristic symptom is an easy reproduction of pain when resisting active extension in the wrist joint. In addition, the signs of "tennis elbow" are:
- swelling and severe joint pain ;
- limitation in mobility;
- increased pain symptom when trying to make repeated movements by hand.
Pain from elbow to hand with internal epicondylitis, or "golfer's elbow"In this case, the muscular tendons are affected, which attach to the internal epicondyle of the humerus. As with the external epicondylitis, in this area, soreness is determined by touch, and it is possible to spread the pain down to the wrist along the lateral surface of the forearm. But with the internal epicondylitis painful sensations arise when the wrist is flexed in the wrist joint. In addition, any form of epicondylitis can be accompanied by inflammatory phenomena in the capsule of the joint, and the accumulation of fluid in it.
Pain in the elbow bend with bursitisBursitis is the inflammation of the periarticular connective tissue bag with the accumulation of fluid( exudate) in its cavity. Inflammation of the elbow bag can occur in isolated form, as a result of chronic injuries to the posterior surface of the elbow, or may be complications of arthritis. The main symptom of bursitis is the appearance in the region of the elbow process of a mobile round swelling up to a chicken egg having a soft consistency. This swelling is often painful when palpated, and becomes well marked when the elbow is twisted in the elbow. In addition, the temperature of the skin increases in the area of inflammation, and they themselves acquire a purple color. Bursitis of the elbow joint disturbs or limits the motor functions of the affected limb. With a long course of the pathological process, bursitis becomes chronic. In such cases, the formation of calcium deposits in the joint is added to the inflammation. Accumulation of calcium salts over time begins to cause constant pain, and interfere with movements. The pathological microflora can also join the inflammation, and in this case, purulent bursitis develops, in which all the symptoms acquire a more pronounced intensity:
Pain in the elbow joint: causes and types of pain, symptoms of disease and treatment( + folk remedies)
Less common are the following diseases that cause pain in the elbow joint:
Other inflammatory lesions of the elbow area:
- tendonitis ( inflammation of the tendons in the area of their joint with the joint capsule).The pain in this disease is greatly increased when the elbow moves;the skin in the joint area is reddened, swollen, painful on palpation;
- bursitis ( inflammation of the synovial bag).In the area of the elbow protrusion a small tumor is formed, soft to the touch, painful when flexing, flexing the joint;
- diffuse fasciitis ( inflammation of the muscular fascia).The pain is of a pulling nature, muscle weakness is observed, as well as the loss of tonus and firmness of the skin in the elbow area.
Neurogenic and cardiovascular diseases:
- syndrome of the cuboidal channel ( compression of the nerve passing through the cubital canal of the elbow).The condition is due to genetic features of the elbow structure or trauma. Often accompanied by numbness and decreased sensitivity of the ulnar region;
- neuritis( inflammation) of the nerve roots. Are the consequence of injuries of the elbow, are expressed by tingling and pain in the joint zone for no apparent reason, not associated with limb movement;
- is one of the symptoms of myocardial infarction. In this case, the heaviness in the heart and the pain in the chest and shoulder blades are often combined in pain, numbness in the ulnar zone.
Systemic and tumor diseases of the body:
- consequences of diabetes mellitus;
- chondrocalcinosis( deposition of calcium salts in the joints);
- benign, malignant tumors, metastases to the elbow area.
Types of injuries of the elbow joint, leading to the development of the pain syndromeJoint injuries are the most likely cause of the appearance of sharp pain after a severe injury, fall or stroke.
There are 3 groups of injuries: dislocations, fractures, bruises .In turn, among the fractures in the elbow area are:
- U-shaped, T-shaped fractures of the condyles, fractures of the head of the radial, ulnar bones, fracture of the humerus block;
- fractures of , occurring in the area around the joint - detachments of condyles, fractures of bones near the joint.
Pain in the elbow in fractures is always accompanied by severe swelling and bruising, redness or hyperthermia, sometimes a distinct crunch of the joint is heard. Palpation, as a rule, causes increased pain.
In addition to fractures, the cause of discomfort in the elbow may be a dislocation - a violation of the location of the heads and cavities of the bones. If the joint capsule is damaged, swelling and twitching pain can resemble the symptoms of bone fracture. Dislocations are often combined with stretching or total ligament rupture, separation of tendons from the muscular or articular surface.
Thus, the elbow injury requires immediate medical diagnosis of in order to avoid serious health consequences( for example, improper bone growth).
Pain in the elbow joint: varieties and signs
Depending on the nature of the flow sensations in the joint can be:
- Reflected pain. Occur during pathological processes in other organs and systems, localizing in a remote part of the body( with osteochondrosis of the cervical, rarely - thoracic segment of the spine).In this case, the elbow does not change its external state, its mobility is not violated. Signs of pain - aching, tingling sensations, decreased sensitivity of the elbow joint, numbness, with palpation - the absence of any symptoms.
- Projected pain. Accompanying compression of the spinal cord when it traumatises or herniated the intervertebral disc, often manifested by pain in the elbow joint in the form of pulling sensations and numbness.
- Neuropathic pain. Severe pain, burning or tingling can occur with acute inflammation of the nerve fibers, compression of the nerve roots with deforming arthrosis of the joint or as a result of injuries.
- Acute pain. Accompanying fractures, sprains, ruptures of the joint and its components, as well as gouty arthritis, acute bursitis, exacerbation of rheumatoid and reactive arthritis.
- Burning pain. It is observed in fractures, acute inflammation of the nerves or their compression, and also with gout.
- Blunt and aching pain. May become symptoms of arthrosis of the elbow joint, and when spreading over the entire surface of the hand and localization in the chest and scapular region - with heart attacks. Chronic aching pain can occur with tumorous processes in the joint region.
- Pain when loaded. At rest, as a rule, there are no. Most often occur with epicondylitis of the joint.
- Pain when moving ( flexion, elbow extension) is present in the defeat of tendons and ligaments, arthrosis of the elbow joint.
- Two-sided pains can appear simultaneously in the left elbow joint, elbow joint of the right arm. Often a consequence of systemic diseases of the body( arthrosis, diabetes, systemic lupus erythematosus, etc.).
Diagnosis of diseases accompanied by pain in the elbow joint
Often, an experienced specialist can establish the correct diagnosis with a visual examination of the patient and collection of anamnesis, as well as after tests for the motor activity of the limb, assessment of symptoms during palpation.
Methods of instrumental diagnostics are:
- laboratory tests( general blood test, urine, blood biochemistry, specific tests).
If you suspect a neurogenic nature of the disease, the consequences of diabetes, tumor processes, osteochondrosis, consultations of narrow specialists( oncologist, neurologist, endocrinologist) are required. In the presence of symptoms and ECG data, confirming myocardial infarction, the patient is hospitalized in a medical institution.
Treatment of pain in the elbow jointMethods of therapy depend on the cause, leading to the development of pain in the elbow joint.
In case of a joint injury, a plaster bandage is applied, a langet, and the period of their wearing is determined by the degree of damage to bones, muscles or ligaments. With bruises, the duration of immobilization of the joint is up to 2 weeks. Fractures with bias or split bone may require immediate surgical intervention and fixation of the hand in the plaster bandage for up to 3 months. Before the removal of gypsum, a set of exercises in therapeutic gymnastics, including breathing exercises and warm-up of the fingers of the hand.
After removal of the gypsum retainer, step-by-step development of the elbow joint is carried out within 2 months.
With inflammatory phenomena in the joint( bursitis, synovitis, arthritis), the development of arthrosis or epicondylitis, the treatment tactic is reduced to the following measures:
- pain relief by oral intake of NSAIDs or injections of glucocorticosteroids;
- anesthesia of the ulnar region by electrophoresis with novocaine, glucocorticosteroids, and blockade with these drugs;
- improvement of the condition of the articular cartilage tissues: the appointment of chondoprotectors;
- improvement of blood supply of the elbow joint: vasodilator preparations;
- removal of spasms( muscle, vascular): muscle relaxants;
- reconstructing the optimal level of synovial fluid in the joint cavity: the use of hyaluronic acid preparations( in the form of intraarticular injections);
- antibacterial therapy( for infectious arthritis, bursitis).
External means are widely used for any kind of joint pain. At the initial stage, you can use products with herbal components or animal poisons, chondroitin( creams and ointments "Sophia", "Arthrozanet", ointments with bischofite, medical bile, ointment "Apisatron", "Traumeel").In the case of severe pain, external drugs with NSAIDs( voltaren, diclofenac, analgos, etc.) are used.
Non-pharmacological and physiotherapeutic methods of pain treatment:
- Reduces the load on the joint, immobilization, the imposition of fixing and pressing bandages.
- With bursitis and synovitis - aspiration of articular fluid, pus, drainage of synovial bag.
- Physiotherapeutic methods of treatment - magnetotherapy, laser therapy, UHF, UFO, microcurrents.
- Shock Wave Therapy.
- X-ray therapy( as a rule, it is used for severe inflammatory processes with the formation of growths or tumors of the joint).
- Massage, exercise therapy, sanatorium treatment.
Sometimes it may be necessary to perform an operation( for example, to replace the joint, excise the bursa, remove bone fragments, release the nerve roots, etc.).
Popular treatment of pain in the elbow joint
The most effective folk methods for eliminating unpleasant sensations in the joint:
- Prepare a tincture from a glass of dead bees and 1 liter.of vodka. After staying in a dark place for about 2 weeks, lubricate the affected area daily.
- Rub the fresh juice of celery into the elbow joint and take it inside.
- Pour boiled water( 200 ml.) Spoon of clove flowers, insist 1 hour, compress on the elbow area 2 times / day.
- In the same way, procedures are carried out using bay leaf infusions, tansy flowers, juniper berries, wormwood grass, birch leaves and buds, pine needles, oat straw, lilac leaves, and Ledum grass.
First aid for pain in the elbow joint
In case of severe pain before going to the doctor, the following measures should be taken:
- Immobilization of the limb with fixation in the least painful condition( with a joint injury).
- Apply ice or a wet towel to the affected area.
- Taking painkillers( NSAIDs, analgin, baralgina, paracetamol), topical application of NSAID creams.
- In the presence of any symptoms confirming the cardiovascular nature of the condition, you must immediately call an ambulance.
Prevention of joint diseases
The main ways to prevent joint diseases:
- Rational nutrition, inclusion in the menu of products rich in vitamins, sulfur, silicon, copper, selenium.
- Preventing injuries.
What if I have pain in the elbow joint? Treatment and symptoms of
The elbow joint is formed from the humerus, ulna and radius. It is for this reason that it explains on the one hand its maximum functional load, and the vulnerability to the receipt of various injuries and pathologies on the other hand. There are many reasons, according to which the elbow joint is exposed to various troubles, as a result of which painful sensations appear.
The main causes of
If you periodically experience pain in the elbow area, this is in most cases caused by the presence of some ailment. Consider in more detail what can cause pain in the elbow joint:
- Pain sensations can occur due to degenerative changes occurring in the cartilage and ligaments. They damage the joint and cause irritation of the underlying nerve roots. The defeat of cartilage helps to limit the motor activity of the joint to the emergence of diseases such as arthritis, arthrosis, osteochondrosis, gout. In addition, various tumor inflammations of the elbow joint may appear;
If the hand in the elbow often hurts, then most likely the disease progresses!
- There is a lesion of the musculoskeletal system, which can be caused by lateral or external epicondylitis, tendinitis and many others;
- Pain in the elbow joint may occur as a result of bursitis of the elbow process. This disease occurs due to active methodological influences on the bag of the surface of the elbow process. In most cases, this refers to the profession of the driver, since there is a constant emphasis on the door to the elbow, and also, if lying on one side, reading and leaning on the arm;
- The next factor that contributes to the formation of pain in the joint is neuritis of the ulnar nerve, defeat of the nervous and cardiovascular system, myocardial infarction. When these ailments appear in the body, the upper limbs begin to grow numb, which can eventually lead to a loss of sensitivity.
- When injuring an elbow joint. In most cases, the elbow is subject to a variety of injuries. For example, it could be a fall from a height to a hand or an elbow, other than this, it could be a sports, industrial or traffic injury injury. With such injuries, the elbow joint, as a rule, always hurts, and the pain can be of different intensity;
- Pain in the elbow joint can cause trouble for the integrity of the adjacent bone, with a dislocation or subluxation of the elbow. In this case, the joint, in most cases, comes out of the limits of the norm, according to its anatomical structure.
Diseases of the elbow joint
This disease is traumatic. It is formed due to a rather intensive impact on the joint. This causes damage to the tendon. This disease can be observed not only in people who perform heavy physical work. Also, these symptoms can be formed due to a prolonged, but "unusual" load.
In the case of epicondylitis, pain in the elbow joint begins to appear with rotational movements or load on the joint. If you are in a state of rest or perform daily movements, then this pain is not observed.
If there is reflected pain that comes from the cervicothoracic spine, the elbow joint does not change its appearance, but the nature of the pain changes. For this situation, the pain appears even in a state of rest. It happens that the patient can wake up at night from the fact that his arm in the elbow joint hurts.
With such a disease as arthrosis, intense pain in the elbow is not observed. They start to appear due to an attempt to bend or straighten the hand to the limit. However, the physical indicators here are completely different. When moving in the elbow, there is a crunch, stiffness, the hand is not able to fully straighten. And after a while there is deformation of the bone.
The cause of the pain in the elbow is sufficient. An exact diagnosis will help you put the doctor in charge!
If the elbow joint hurts due to arthritis, then in this situation the pain bears an inflammatory character, and therefore, they are strong enough. Pain can appear not only during movement, but also at rest. The area of the lesion begins to swell and redness appears.
Pain in the elbow joint has its own specific symptoms, but treatment in this situation is simply necessary, since the disease itself will not pass. Therefore, the question arises: what to do when the elbow joint hurts?
How to treat pain in the elbow joint?
Before contacting a specialist for help, you can perform a series of activities that will help you get rid of the pain:
- It is necessary to provide complete rest to the damaged joint, in addition fix with elastic bandage;
- You can use a cold compress that eliminates swelling of soft tissues, but only for half an hour;
- In order to eliminate severe pain, you can use a gel or ointment, which is based on an active anti-inflammatory component. Rub on the affected area 2-3 times a day.
If, after applying these pain relief methods, the elbow joint still hurts, then you should seek help from a trauma center where an experienced specialist can prescribe an individual treatment.
Conservative treatment is as follows:
After a number of pain management measures, you should consult your doctor!
- drug therapy includes the use of a course of drugs that improve blood circulation in the joints and enhance the nerve conduction;use of pain medication. This drug should be carried out in addition with the use of drugs that can ensure normal operation of the gastrointestinal tract.
- physiotherapy procedures include: massage, physiotherapy, exercise, reflexology.
As you can see, when the elbow joint hurts, then only a doctor can determine what to treat it. In addition, each patient should be treated individually.
If the disease has already occurred, then in this situation there is nothing left, how to proceed to the treatment of pain in the elbow joint. However, if everything is not so bad, then there are chances to avoid the appearance of painful painful sensations arising in the elbow joint.
Do not overexert yourself with excessive physical exertion. However, this does not mean that it is necessary to abandon this completely. Everyone knows that a moderate physical load helps to keep the muscles in a tone, and they, as a rule, determine the condition of the joint. It is necessary to adhere to a balanced diet and not to allow the appearance of excess weight. And also not to be lazy, but often visit preventive examinations at the doctor.
We also recommend reading