Knee joint gonarthrosis of 2nd degree: treatment with medications and folk remedies
Degenerative and dystrophic joint disease is called gonarthrosis. Today, this ailment is the leader in the group of various lesions of articulations in humans. The symptomatology of the disease, according to statistics, occurs in 15-20% of the total population. In this case, it is most often in women who are diagnosed with gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree. Treatment of the disease is difficult. Because the disease is incurable.
The main causes of
In gonarthrosis, there are degenerative processes of cartilage that covers directly the intraarticular surface of each bone. Uncomfortable sensations in this disease arise precisely because of this.
At first, blood circulation in all small vessels is disturbed. The nutrition of the joint worsens. After a fairly long so-called starvation, the cartilage is thinned, and later completely destroyed.
Partial exposure of the bones creates a kind of friction between them when walking. This causes very severe pain. A person can no longer fully bend or unbend the joint. In the most severe cases, thorns appear. Because of this, the bone deforms, which, in turn, leads to the curvature of the leg.
When gonarthrosis is sometimes observed rapid deposition of calcium salts. As a result, calcification of the soft tissues of the knee occurs. However, this manifestation does not stand out in a separate clinical situation. Usually it does not extend directly to the joint itself.
The main types of disease
This disease is divided into primary and secondary.
Primary gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2 nd degree, whose treatment is directed mainly at the elimination of unpleasant symptoms, can occur even in an absolutely healthy person. Many doctors believe that such a disease is provoked by a violation of metabolism, the presence of excessive weight, as well as age-related changes in the joints. There are situations in which primary gonarthrosis has developed as a result of taking some contraceptive hormonal medications. Also, the cause may be poor heredity.
Most often the primary gonarthrosis affects both knees, but it can begin to develop in any of them. Pathological changes over time cover the entire joint and pass to the other leg. One-sided malaise can occur with an uneven load on the legs.
Secondary gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree, the treatment of which must begin in time, almost always one-sided. He has a clear reason.
The most common source is joint trauma. This can be as a hemorrhage in the joint, and a severe bruise or dislocation. The disease sometimes develops after some surgical interventions, with various inflammatory processes and neoplasms in the knee.
The situation can only get worse if you do not go to the doctor on time. Also, one should not engage in self-medication, as often it is fundamentally wrong. And this will only lead to even greater complications.
The main symptoms of
The disease begins with the appearance of pain in the joints after walking, as well as physical activity. But many people do not attach importance to this symptom, because discomfort passes if you rest a little. Sometimes there are mild pains in any one hip.
Characterized by knee joint gonarthrosis:
- increased pain in the knee joint;
- does not go through unpleasant sensations even after rest or sleep;
- severe discomfort when loaded on the knees;
- joint pain after a long walk;
- there is a significant underdevelopment of muscle tissue in the lower extremity of the corresponding side;
- appears a certain crunch in the knee;
- violation of the main function of the joint;
- appearance of the first signs of joint deformation.
By the time when the second degree of gonarthrosis is already determined, the disease covers both joints. One-sided malaise occurs when excessive load on any one leg. In this situation, a person unconsciously begins to shift all his weight to the other side. As a result, the degeneration of the cartilaginous tissue of the articulation develops.
Degrees of disease
There are several degrees of the disease according to the intensity of their development:
- 1 degree( initial).Quite insignificant swelling and pain in the knee after physical exertion. The shape of the joints does not change.
- 2 degree. There is a slight crunch in the joints, the pain becomes stronger. There is a certain stiffness in the joint. The outlines of the knees begin to change outwardly.
- 3 degree. All symptoms manifest themselves in full. Gonarthrosis of the third degree of the knee joint is characterized by pain, which is permanent. The joint is strongly deformed and increases in size. It becomes difficult for a person to walk.
- 4 degree. On X-rays, a strong deformation of the joint is clearly visible. Practically complete absence of joint space. The pain does not stop, the knee is limited in movements.
Diagnosis of the disease
The diagnosis of the specific difficulties is not caused and is carried out on the basis of symptoms indicative of the rapid development of the disease:
- deformation of the knee joint;
- appearance of crunch;
- pain enhancement;
- limitation of joint mobility.
The most clear picture can be seen on radiographic shots. Deforming gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the second degree is characterized by specific marginal growths and strong narrowing of the gap.
Treatment of altered joints
It is rather difficult to fight this disease. Before examining how to treat gonarthrosis of the knee joint, it should be understood that the disease is considered incurable. After all, no one is able to return the joints to their joint mobility. The most that will be possible to do at all is to reduce the pain sensations only slightly and try to suspend the process for a while.
Only timely diagnostics of the disease will achieve these goals. However, any intervention will be ineffective if you do not learn to unload the affected joints.
Treatment of gonarthrosis should be carried out according to strict rules. To do this, stock up with a lot of patience. It is recommended to completely abandon all bad habits, observe a special diet, as far as possible, completely eliminate all heavy loads.
For gonarthrosis apply:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain relief( Nimesulide, Movalis, Diclofenac, etc.).
- Preparations, which contain components of articular cartilage( "Chondroitin-sulfate", "Glucosamine", etc.).
- Drug injections in the joint of hyaluronic acid preparations( Synvisc, Fermatron, Duralan).This acid is an analogue of an articular lubricant, which covers the cartilage, thereby reducing friction when moving in the joint.
Special support devices are used that can reduce the load on the joint. It can be like an ordinary cane, and hard knee pads, as well as special orthopedic insoles. Such a device is chosen by the doctor individually for each patient, relying on the degree and severity of his illness.
If the patient does not already have a chance to save the joint, surgery is recommended. Gonarthrosis of the knee joint is often treated with complex therapy, resorting to surgical intervention only in extreme cases.
There is such an operation option as endoprosthetics. It consists in the fact that the prosthesis is replaced by the whole joint or some of its parts. The operation is most often done when a unilateral gonarthrosis is post-traumatic in nature. This includes the rupture of ligaments, fractures of the knee joint.
Surgical treatment is performed only if the disease is not accompanied by osteoporosis. Another taboo to the operation is the increased fragility of bones.
Additional methods of
Comprehensive treatment is supplemented by some fairly effective methods:
- special massage;
- thermal therapy and laser physiotherapy;
- exercise therapy;
- UHF, electrophoresis.
Special Therapeutic Exercises
With gonarthrosis of the knee joint, it is impossible to completely exclude physical activity. The individual curative gymnastics program will help to strengthen the weak muscles surrounding the joint, and improve blood circulation.
Because the joints need movement, then physical exercise should be done constantly. During such exercises, not only the affected muscles are trained, but the entire musculoskeletal system is trained.
Gymnastics for gonarthrosis of the knee joint can be performed by patients at home. But it is always worth remembering that physical exertion on sick joints is allowed only during the remission of the disease. The presence of edema and pain will simply make any movement unrealistic. Ignoring this nuance can exacerbate the condition to some extent.
When gonarthrosis is strictly prohibited squats, long walking, running, stress knee joints. They will always cause acute pain.
For each degree of the disease, its individual treatment is applied
1 degree - massage, easy medical gymnastics, physiotherapy. To reduce the load on the joints, it is recommended to reduce weight.
At grade 2, the load on the joints should be minimized. Physiotherapy, physiotherapy exercises are prescribed. Anesthetics, anti-inflammatory drugs and some chondroprotectors are used.
Gonarthrosis of the third degree of the knee joint requires therapeutic symptomatic treatment. The patient may be referred for surgical treatment. At the same time, all bone growths are removed, osteoplastic cartilage is done. On the last - fourth - stage, joint replacement is increasingly performed.
We use folk remedies
Various decoctions and sprays made from medicinal plants are used if 1 or 2 degrees of a disease such as gonarthrosis of the knee joint is diagnosed. Folk remedies with a serious degree of disease, unfortunately, will not have absolutely no effect.
This is one of the most common methods of combating the disease, widely used by patients who are diagnosed with gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree. Treatment involves the use of blue or red clay. It should be applied only with a plastic or wooden spatula. No contact with metal is allowed.
Clay is diluted with water to a consistency of liquid sour cream. The mixture is spread on a cloth. They put it on a sore knee and wrap it with cellophane or with a warm woolen shawl. This compress is held for a couple of hours, after which the clay is washed off.
Tincture from the ficus
From the most common domestic ficus prepare a special tincture from gonarthrosis. His leaves are passed through a meat grinder and add a little vodka. Insist for 3 weeks in a dark place. The dishes should be very tightly closed.
First of all you need to take a salt bath. Prepared infusion slightly warmed, and then applied to the affected joint and wrapped in a warm kerchief. Do this for 10 days in a row.
Arthrosis of the knee joint 2 degrees: causes, diagnosis and treatment
2 degree of gonarthrosis of the knee joint can not only reduce the motor activity of the patient, but also worsen the quality of his life as a whole. The reason for this may be not only pain and inability to exercise, which seemed only recently insignificant.
Comparing the changes that have occurred between the initial stage of the disease and its second stage, a person begins to understand: without correct treatment, the situation will only worsen further.
Contents of the article:
Causes ofThe most common reason for the transition of the disease to stage 2 is the irresponsible treatment and non-compliance with the physician's recommendations regarding locomotor activity and lifestyle changes.
In a joint already affected by the disease, blood circulation and metabolic processes are slowed to the point where tissues are unable to receive nutrients and oxygen without outside help. If you refuse treatment or postpone it "for later", there is an acceleration of destructive processes in the joint and, as a consequence, the transformation of the disease of their mild stage into a more severe one.
For the 2nd stage of knee joint gonarthrosis the following manifestations are characteristic:
- pain enhancement: pain attacks acquire a certain regularity( after night sleep, prolonged rest period, physical exertion, etc.);
- stiffness in the joint, usually in the mornings, which passes after a short walk;
- knee joint increases in size, its relief is smoothened - all physiological bulges and cavities on the joint cease to be determined. In the standing position, this can manifest as a skin "hanging" over the kneecap. In the squatting position, it becomes evident that one knee( affected by gonarthrosis) is significantly larger than the second, healthy, and has a spherical shape;
- when moving in the knee can be heard a characteristic crunch;
- flexion and extensor movements of the joint are severely limited.
People with 2 degrees of gonarthrosis are rarely able to do without taking pain medication, as pain in the knee begins to bother even during periods of rest. This is due to spike-like growths on the bone tissues of the joint, which have an irritating and traumatic effect on all the structures of the knee.
In most cases, a patient who complains of a worsening state of health is already diagnosed with gonarthrosis, and the attending physician can prescribe a radiographic examination to assess the changes that occur in the joint.
If a doctor has a reason to suspect joining other gonarthrosis, CT, MRI and laboratory blood tests can be recommended. This is necessary in order to exclude infections that can penetrate the joint through the bloodstream, and the complicated course of gonarthrosis, with soft tissue damage.
Complications ofIn the absence of treatment or insufficiently responsible to it, gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree can quickly overcome the last "stage" and go to the final stage, in which the pain becomes a constant companion, and the joints undergo irreversible changes and deformations.
In addition, weakened joint tissues become vulnerable to infections, and any viral or bacterial systemic disease can cause serious complications during gonarthrosis. The most common, but no less dangerous, is the infection of the joint cavity with the formation of purulent contents that can spread to soft tissues - muscles, skin.
In the treatment of grade 2 gonarthrosis, attention is focused on the removal of pain syndrome, slowing or completely stopping the degenerative process in the joint, preventing complications and improving knee mobility.
Medicines used in the treatment of grade 2 gonarthrosis are divided into the following groups:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. These include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs) of the latest generation, which eliminate the inflammatory process in the joint and, as a result, reduce pain. When gonarthrosis is used Ketoprofen, Nimesulid, Diclofenac, etc.
- Chondroprotectors( Glucosamine, Dona, etc.).This group of drugs can protect cartilaginous tissues from further destruction and enhance regeneration processes in them.
- Hyaluronic acid preparations( Fermatron, Gyuralan, etc.), which are analogues of natural lubrication of the inner surface of the joint. Reducing friction in the knee joint, these drugs prevent further wear and destruction of the cartilage. In some cases, intra-articular injections of hyaluronic acid are indicated( for example, with very poor blood circulation in the joint, which prevents other forms of the drug from reaching the affected tissues).
- Auxiliary means. These include vitamin preparations, immunostimulants, bioactive extracts from plants( aloe, echinacea, etc.), which are designed to improve blood circulation in the joint tissues and thus accelerate the metabolic processes in them.
Physiotherapy, massage, exercise therapy
Such methods of treatment as physiotherapy, massage and exercise therapy can be considered auxiliary for the treatment of the 2nd degree of gonarthrosis of the knee and are rarely used as independent methods of treatment.
Physiotherapy( UHF, phonophoresis, ultrasound therapy, magnetotherapy) is used to improve blood circulation in the joint and stimulate recovery processes in it.Massage is recommended for courses of 10-15 sessions, one session a day or every other day. Massage, improving the blood supply in the joint, normalizes the metabolic processes in it and provides a more effective effect of medicines on diseased tissues.
With the diagnosis of arthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree, massages with the use of medicines( chondroprotectors, anti-inflammatory or irritating ointments, cooling and anesthetic external agents, etc.) are often prescribed. The choice of a specific drug remains with the doctor - the appointment depends on the clinical picture of the disease, the severity of the symptoms andother factors.
The complex of physiotherapy exercises is assigned to treating physicians after evaluating the effectiveness of drug treatment, and is selected taking into account the individual characteristics of the course of the disease and the overall health of the patient.
Lifestyle correction is one of the most important conditions for effective treatment. For gonarthrosis of grade 2, the following rules must be adhered to:
- Reduces the burden on the affected joint. To do this, orthopedic canes are used, which allow you to distribute the load during movement so that the knee joint is minimally involved. It is important to choose the right cane for growth - it should be the length from the wrist to the floor when you are standing.
- Diet. With this disease, it is recommended to reduce the intake of foods containing animal protein( eggs, meat, fish, whole milk), carbohydrates( baked goods, sweets) and any foods and beverages containing synthetic flavors, sweeteners, preservatives.
- Weight loss. Obesity is one of the risk factors that increases the likelihood of metabolic disorders in all tissues, including joint tissues. In addition, overweight - this is an extra burden on the joints.
Surgical treatment can be divided into two types: arthroscopy and endoprosthetics.
Each operation has its own list of indications, under which the intervention will be most effective.
ArthroscopyArthroscopy is a low-traumatic surgical method, in which the operation is performed using miniature lighting, surgical and video devices inserted into the joint cavity through small punctures.
- the presence of bone lesions( osteophytes), impeding the mobility of the joint;
- deformation of the joint tissues, which can be adjusted without large-scale surgical intervention;
- the need for chondroplasty, which can significantly slow the progress of the disease and restore the motor ability of the joint.
Contraindications to arthroscopy are acute infectious diseases, blood clotting disorders and a small amplitude of movements in the joint - the inability to fully extend or flex the joint does not allow the surgeon to carry out the necessary manipulations.
EndoprostheticsEndoprosthetics - replacement of the knee joint by artificial, made of strong and hypoallergenic material, identical in structure to natural bone tissues.
Over time, the prosthesis takes over all the functions of the "native" joint and allows you to return to a normal lifestyle.
- no effect after a long course of conservative treatment;
- rapid disease progression;
- changes that occur in the joint, significantly impair the motor activity of the patient, have caused severe and frequent pain and / or cause the risk of disability.
Among the contraindications, only certain systemic diseases are absolute, making any surgical manipulations impossible. In this case, the attending physician weighs the risks and benefits of surgical treatment and, based on the findings, decides whether to perform the operation or continue a conservative course of treatment. Gonarthrosis - what is it? Gonarthrosis of 2, 3 degrees: treatment of
People over 40, especially those who are overweight, often experience knee pain. Such discomfort does not allow sleeping at night, making it difficult to move. And sometimes it does not even allow me to live normally! After examining the doctor, a diagnosis is made - "gonarthrosis".What it is? Why did it develop exactly with you? And is it possible to turn back time?
Characteristics of pathology
Not many people understand hearing the diagnosis of "gonarthrosis", what is it. This is a degenerative-dystrophic pathology. It is characterized by damage and subsequent changes in cartilage tissue. This significantly reduces the functioning of the joint. Such an insidious disease slowly destroys the connective tissue.
Do not underestimate pathology. It should be understood, if gonarthrosis is diagnosed, what is it! The developing disease affects all elements of the joint. Suffer cartilage, bone, ligaments, articular membrane, muscle.
Under the influence of certain factors there is a disruption in the nutrition of the cartilage. The lack of important elements provokes the development of degeneration. As a result, cell death occurs. Significantly reduced elasticity, elasticity of connective tissue. The patient forms a "dry joint".
Further progression of the disease leads to the inability of the joint to perform the required functions. On the surface of the cartilage, the growths are formed and grow. Under this influence, the bone changes, the ligaments shorten. The patient experiences a significant limitation of mobility. And in the most neglected stage, muscles are atrophied.
Causes of the disease
There are many sources underlying the development of pathology. As a rule, gonarthrosis of the knee joint develops as a result of a combination of several reasons:
- increased stress on articulation( squats, running, lifting weights);
- fractures of bones in which the knee joint is involved;
- rupture of ligaments;
- injury of the cartilaginous layer - meniscus;
- is overweight.
Pathology does not develop immediately, but several years after the impact of the damaging factor. With a combination of several causes, the disease progresses much faster.
Certain diseases and conditions can accelerate the development of the disease. The risk group includes people who have experienced the following problems:
- Lower limb varicose.
- Weak joint-capsular apparatus of articulation( genetically conditioned), provoking joint looseness.
- Arthritis( inflammatory process in the knee), bearing a different etiology, - psoriatic, gouty, rheumatoid, reactive.
- Diseases of the exchange system.
- Pathologies of innervation of joints, characteristic of spinal or craniocerebral trauma.
Types of the disease
Physicians, taking into account the mechanism of the emergence of pathology, identify two main groups:
- Primary gonarthrosis. The disease develops against the background of normal joint health. She is not preceded by any trauma, inflammation. The causes of this pathology are found in diseases of the metabolic system, long-term use of hormonal drugs, genetic predisposition. Often develops bilateral gonartroz. The pathological process covers both knees. Although in some cases one-sided damage is observed. Primary gonarthrosis is characteristic mainly of the elderly.
- Secondary. This pathology develops on the background of traumas, tumors, inflammations. The source of the disease can serve as a transferred surgical intervention on the joint. The disease occurs in people of any age. Secondary gonarthrosis, as a rule, is one-sided.
Clinical manifestations that arise in a patient with the development of the disease, directly depend on the progression of the degenerative process in the joint. Depending on this, 3 degrees of gonarthrosis are isolated. Each of them differs in its symptoms.
Signs of 1 degree of the disease
It is extremely difficult to determine the initial stage of the development of pathology. The changes in the cartilage tissue can not be detected by X-ray examination. Diagnosis is based on a description of the symptoms by the patient himself.
Doctors identified certain characteristics that can characterize 1 degree:
- pain in the joint;
- feeling of tightening under the knee itself;
- stupid character of pain;
- joint stiffness, which occurs after prolonged sitting, sleeping;
- pain enhancement after physical exertion or standing;
- strong discomfort in the joint after squats, a long walk;
- edema of the knee, usually self-passing.
Methods of treatment
At this stage, it is quite effective to combat such pathology as knee gonarthrosis. Treatment consists in the application of:
- curative gymnastics.
The patient is recommended to reduce weight. It is desirable not to strain the joints.
Symptomatics of the 2nd degree
At this stage it is already obvious narrowing of the cleft, growth of bone outgrowths - osteophytes. Even visually in the area of the knee, one can see inflammation. X-rays can reliably determine gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree.
The following symptoms can signal this stage of the pathology:
- Pain discomfort is localized inside the joint either on the inside of the joint.
- While walking, you hear a crunch in your knee.
- The pain becomes intense, more prolonged. After rest disappears.
- In the morning it is difficult to unbend the knee.
- In the evening or at night there is a pain in the calves.
- Completely the leg does not unbend.
- Visually visible swelling of the joint, initial signs of deformation.
Since there is no way to normally bend the leg, gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree provokes a curvature of the spine. Gradually, the body begins to form changes.
Methods for dealing with pathology
In the case of grade 2 disease, the following treatment is recommended:
- reduced joint load;
- exercises of exercise therapy;
- medical treatment, including anti-inflammatory, pain relievers, drugs, chondroprotectors;
Clinic of the 3rd degree
The stage is characterized by significant, and sometimes irreversible, changes in the articulation. An x-ray shows gross deformations in the structure of the cartilage. The patient constantly experiences pain, which almost does not abate.
Gonarthrosis of 3rd degree causes the following symptomatology in a person:
- Constant pain in the knee, independent of the patient's activity.
- Mobility is significantly limited. The patient is limping.
- During the weather change, the discomfort intensifies.
- The knee is deformed and enlarged in size. With the progression of the pathological process, the articulation acquires an O-shaped or X-shaped form.
If gonarthrosis of grade 3 is accompanied by inflammation of the membrane( synovitis), the knee is significantly swollen. Its contours are almost completely smoothed out. On the front side surfaces a protrusion with a soft consistency is localized.
Recommended methods of fighting
Extremely severe pathology is grade 3 gonarthrosis. Treatment includes therapeutic methods. However, the patient often needs surgery. In this case, two surgical treatment technologies are possible:
- Corrective osteotomy. It is allowed with partial destruction of the cartilage. In this case, bone joints are removed in the joint. The destroyed cartilage is removed.
- Endoprosthetics. Such an operation is performed in a neglected stage. If the cartilage is completely destroyed, it is completely or partially replaced by artificial materials.
Depending on the stage of the disease and individual sensations, an orthopedic doctor may be prescribed medications. Typically, such therapy is recommended if the patient is diagnosed with grade 2 gonarthrosis.
Treatment consists of the following medications:NSAIDs, anesthetics. With this pathology, the following drugs are often prescribed: Voltaren, Rofica, Celebrex, Movalis, Nimesil.
An effective remedy for the treatment of gonarthrosis is the drug Piaskledin. It is a drug created from soy and avocado plant extracts. The course of treatment is long - at least 6 months.
Patients should be aware of the diagnosis of gonarthrosis, what it is. It is necessary to take seriously to the appointment of a doctor.
In case of acute course of the disease, the patient of the knee needs rest. In the future, it is necessary to gradually introduce physical activity. As a rule, all exercises are performed lying on the back. It is very important to exercise cautiously, smoothly. Exercises should not cause pain.
For this pathology, avoid:
- long walk;
- knee flexion-extension;
- any movements, during which the pain in the joint is felt.
To reduce inflammation in the articulation, accelerate regeneration, stop pain syndrome, the following procedures can be recommended:
- diadynamic currents;
- electrophoresis with Novokain;
- laser therapy;
- phonophoresis using the drug "Hydrocortisone";
- ozocerite or paraffin applications;
- mud treatment.
If necessary, the doctor will recommend special orthoses. These are the knee pads made from a rigid material that restrict movement in the joint. Orthopedic insoles may be prescribed.
Sometimes the only way to solve is surgery. For example, if a patient has grade 3 gonarthrosis, treatment is possible only if he does not suffer from osteoporosis. After surgical intervention for 3-6 months the patient needs rehabilitation measures. Physiotherapy, exercise therapy, treatment in a sanatorium are prescribed.
Articular cartilage is not able to regenerate. Therefore, it is very important to detect the disease at an initial stage and immediately begin treatment. Therapeutic methods are justified only at the 1 st and 2 nd degree of gonarthrosis. With the pathology started, the patient's condition can be improved only by surgical intervention.
The main recommendation, which is given by doctors - is to maintain a gentle regime that limits the load on the knee joint. But, on the other hand, treatment of gonarthrosis of any degree consists of performing compulsory physical exercises. They should promote not only the preservation of joint mobility, but also improve blood circulation in it.
Here it is necessary to observe the golden mean: treatment of even the started gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree should not, on the one hand, overload the knee, and on the other - develop maximum mobility in it.
The patient himself can do himself a regular massage of the knee joint, as well as the muscles of the thigh and lower leg.
In critical cases, various ointments with analgesic and irritating effect and analgesics in the form of tablets can be prescribed to relieve severe pain. To increase blood flow, treatment of gonarthrosis, including the second degree, is useful to combine with venotonics. To improve the condition of cartilaginous tissue, it is recommended to use chondroprotectors( in the form of injections, ointments, powders).
IMPORTANT TO KNOW!Doctors are dumbfounded! The pain in the joints is FOREVER!Just before bedtime. .. Read on - & gt;
Treatment with folk remedies
Especially good are folk remedies for getting rid of torment at the time of aggravation of pain. But, you need to know that with a seriously neglected disease, it is almost impossible to cure it, without the help of a doctor.
Clay has curative properties and will help to get rid of gonarthrosis of the knee joint.
Compression of red or blue clay. Pour clay into ceramic ware and dilute with water until sour cream. Put this mixture on a linen or cotton fabric in a thick layer( up to 2 cm).Wipe the patient's ankle with a damp cloth or towel. Apply a prepared compress to it. Strongly wrap the bandage and wrap it in woolen cloth. Keep in this state for about 2 hours. Then the diseased foot should be rinsed in warm water, and the used material should be disposed of. The procedure should be done at least 2 times a day, and with an inflamed joint - up to 5 times.
Compress of honey and apple cider vinegar. The greatest effect can be achieved if left on a sore knee for several days during the month. Take 1 part honey and mix with 3 parts of apple cider vinegar. This mixture is coated with a diseased shin. Then a leaf of fresh cabbage or burdock is applied. After this, the entire structure is fixed with a bandage or a self-adhesive film. From above it is warmed by a scarf or other warm material. It is recommended to take off when the leaves of cabbage( burdock) dry.
All natural knee joint diseases and tissues that surround it can be divided into two large groups:
- resulting from inflammation;
- arising from the violation of metabolic processes.
Injuries are individual cases. Therefore, often gonarthrosis of the knee joint can arise independently, that is, be the root cause of the disease. But, sometimes it can manifest itself as a concomitant illness of another malaise.
Recommendations of the expert
An important role in the treatment of gonarthrosis of the second degree of the knee joint should be assigned to diet compliance. Foods should not contain a large amount of carbohydrates or fats. Contraindicated:
- sweet delicacies( cakes, cakes, etc.);
- fish and meat with a high percentage of fat;
- beer, wine, vodka, alcoholic cocktails;
- strongly carbonated beverages;
- snack in the form of chips, crackers and other crispy food.
The diet should include cereals from various cereals( except for instant porridges), more fruits, vegetables and greens. Reduce meat consumption to 100 grams, and eggs to 3 pieces a day. Particular attention should be paid to the inclusion in the daily menu of dairy products, bread and pasta.
Knee joint gonarthrosis treatment, symptoms, causes
For the first time this disease appears after forty years and most often it is diagnosed in women who complain of pain in the knee.
Knee joint gonarthrosis
No one pays special attention to this and everything is written off to the deposition of salts.
But in fact the cause of pain is gonarthrosis of the knee joint. The essence of the development of this disease lies in the dystrophic changes of the hyaline cartilage, which are covered with the tibial condyles, as well as the femur. In the future, gradual destruction of the cartilage takes place and as a result the subchondral surface of the bones forming the knee joint is exposed.
Causes of the appearance of the disease
The causes of this disease are different, it all depends on whether primary or secondary gonarthrosis is diagnosed.
This type of disease appears most often in the elderly, and against a background of complete health. It is suggested that the cause of the disease is a disturbed metabolism, because gonarthrosis is more often diagnosed in patients with obesity and overweight.
There are suggestions that the cause of the disease is a hereditary factor, and this can be influenced by long reception of hormonal drugs and much more. In this case, do not forget that the presence of anomalies in the structure of the joint tissues, not only cartilaginous, but also bone may be the cause of gonarthrosis. Also, the appearance of the disease can significantly affect the various pathologies of the ligament apparatus.
In this version of the disease, the causes are more obvious:
- knee injury - bruises, sprains and the like;
- surgical operations that a person suffered after a knee injury, removal of the meniks;
- joint disease - arthritis or swelling and other inflammatory diseases in the joints;
- untimely application for medical care after the received knee injuries, which leads to the development of gonarthrosis;
- hormonal imbalance. This can be a slow metabolism or a malfunction of metabolic processes in the body;
- excessive intensity of physical exertion on the joint. As a rule, it manifests itself in people engaged in professional sports;
- diseases that adversely affect muscle tone, muscle spasms and clamps, stiffness of muscles.
Symptoms and stages of the disease
Symptoms of gonarthrosis of the knee depends on its stage. There are three main stages of the disease.
Each stage characterizes a certain period of the course of the disease - from the moment of slight changes, to serious lesions of the cartilaginous tissue and its complete disappearance.
Gonarthrosis 1 degree
In the initial stage, the disease manifests itself stiffness in the knee joint in the morning hours after sleep and a little pain.
Grade 1Gonearthrosis A person notices that pain and stiffness are aggravated by long walking or prolonged stays in a sitting position. However, with the first degree of gonarthrosis, there is no deformation of the cartilage in communication, with which the pain syndrome is not strongly manifested, and the mobility of the joints remains the same. It is for this reason that in many cases the disease remains unnoticed;
Gonarthrosis of 2nd degree
Gradually the pains become stronger and more persistent. They appear not only after sleep, but also with a prolonged load on the knee - for example, if you stand on your feet or climb the stairs for a long time.
Gonarthrosis of 2nd degree
In a lying position, the pain decreases. The knee deforms and increases in volume, the patient feels a characteristic crunch when flexing the leg. Bony outgrowths - osteophytes - grow on the surface of the joint. Also, there is no full possibility of bending the leg, which leads to a curvature of the vertebra.
Gonarthrosis of 3rd degree
Symptoms are all the same, but they are more pronounced. The pain in the knee is permanent, it tortures a person both during walking and at night, preventing them from falling asleep normally.
Gonarthrosis of 3rd degree
The function of the joint is severely disrupted - the patient can not bend the knee even at ninety degrees.
There is lameness, a person falls on an affected leg or is unable to move without assistance at all.
Joint deformation can be seen immediately, the change in its structure is diagnosed on the X-ray. The bone surfaces are so deformed that there is practically no gap between them, which is necessary for movements and the person has to experience continuous cutting pain.
Treatment with medical and folk remedies
The gonarthrosis of the knee joint is treated for a long time, and treatment requires doctors of great professionalism, and the patient should be patient. But you can not get rid of the disease forever, but it is quite possible to slow its development.
Medication therapy involves the administration of the following drugs:
- means for getting rid of pain. To do this, anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs are prescribed: diclofenac, indomethacin, paracetamol and others. But they are taken according to the doctor's prescription, a long reception of these medicines can cause an exacerbation of gastritis or stomach ulcers. It should be noted that the action of these drugs is aimed at reducing inflammation and the manifestation of a feeling of pain. Therefore, they only hide the unpleasant symptomatology and do not relieve the disease;
- chondroprotectors. These drugs contain chondrocytes, which will restore the structure of the cartilage. The drugs help to increase the mobility of the affected joint and stop the development of the disease. However, chondroprotectors have a positive effect on the initial stages of the development of pathological changes in the knee joint. They are absolutely useless in the complete destruction of cartilage. These medications are very slow acting and need to be systematically used in certain doses for several courses over a period of one to one and a half years;
- anti-inflammatory drugs. These are corticosteroids, which are hormonal drugs with a strong effect. When the cartilage tissue is destroyed, an inflammatory process occurs and a fluid forms in the joint, and corticosteroids are injected into the joint itself. This hydrocortisone, Kenalog and much more. Assign and hormonal gels with ointments - Diclofenac, butadione and others;
- preparations of hyaluronic acid. A film is formed on the damaged joint, which prevents further destruction of the cartilage by reducing the friction between the articular cavities. As a result, the cartilaginous tissue becomes much more elastic and elastic, including its depreciation abilities. The treatment of gonarthrosis with hyaluronic acid preparations is carried out by courses.
Methods of treatment without the use of medications
This is a physiotherapy that can reduce pain in the affected joint and relieve inflammation. In most cases, electrophoresis is used, because with its help, external drugs penetrate much deeper than the usual application to the skin. Also, to improve nutrition and microcirculation of tissues in medicine, magnetic devices, ultrasound, laser radiation are used.
Medical gymnastics together with manual therapy will relieve overexertion from muscles and joints, improve the condition and mood of the patient. Wellness gymnastics is an indispensable component of successful treatment of gonarthrosis. Exercise helps to strengthen the muscular system of the lower leg and thigh, thereby increasing mobility of the limb and improving the condition of the ligaments.
In some cases, surgical treatment is prescribed. As a rule, it is necessary in cases when pronounced deformity of the knee joint is observed and its complete immobilization arises and at the same time conservative methods of treatment are not effective. This is endoprosthetics and arthroscopic debridement. In the first case, the patient is placed with a ceramic, metal or plastic prosthesis. In the second case, with the help of an arthroscope, the painful, broken parts of the cartilage are removed.
Folk recipes do not lose their relevance. The joint use of "grandmother's recipes" and medications will have a good therapeutic effect.
It is recommended to rub the joint joint with camphor oil, apply a mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey, or apply a compress from the burdock leaves to the affected knee.
Also, the section of traditional medicine advises you to tie a heated shredded horseradish root at night to your knee, and with pains, drink three times a day a glass of broth from onions, which is prepared by calculating two onions per 1 liter of boiling water. In addition, it is useful to take a bath twice a week with a decoction of grass hay and malt. If there is a pronounced inflammatory process, wipe the knee joint with a lemon wedge.
Prevention of gonarthrosis
The most important thing in the prevention of this complex disease is muscle training and constant maintenance of them in tone. Very often, having heard advice from a doctor to do gymnastics, a person neglects this and very much in vain. Exercises will help to adapt the body to constant loads, because when they are performed, the muscles of the legs are strengthened.
Prevention of gonarthrosis
Excess weight is also a risk factor for the onset of gonarthrosis. This same gymnastics will help him to fight, because the fat people are constantly stressed by joints due to weight.
One of the causes of the disease is trauma. Therefore, while skating, skiing should be cautious and if you do not imagine your life without it, then take care of good protective equipment and use quality knee pads.
Vitamins are especially useful for prevention. This vitamin E, D and C, so you need to periodically use vitamin complexes.
Calcium fortress will take care of calcium strength, high amounts of calcium are found in eggs, sesame and celery.
The right diet will help the joints. The food should be balanced and correct, for the prevention of gonarthrosis you need to consume a lot of fresh vegetables, cakes and sweets replace with fruits. In winter it is useful to eat cranberries with honey. Homemade cottage cheese, milk and cheese will also help to strengthen joints with bones.
Among all joints of the human body the knee joint is considered to be the largest. The increased workload, which he daily called to withstand, often leads to the development of various diseases. Osteoarthrosis of the knee joint, at which progressive destruction of articular cartilage occurs, and which is the most common pathology, is called gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree.
Gonarthrosis refers to diseases that lead to degenerative-dystrophic changes in the joint-articular apparatus, and significantly impair the quality of life. The risk group includes professional athletes, people with excessive body weight, or experiencing persistent physical overload, as well as patients suffering from varicose veins.
Specialists distinguish three degrees of severity of gonarthrosis, but, as a rule, the first degree of gonarthrosis proceeds in a latent( latent) form, therefore it does not involve any changes and does not cause discomfort. And only when the gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree develops, patients begin to pay attention to their ailment.
Causes of gonarthrosis
There are several main reasons that contribute to the onset and development of gonarthrosis. One of them can be considered congenital anomalies in the structure of the ligamentous apparatus and the structure of the joint tissues. The next reason is the mechanical factor at which the microtraumatization of the hyaline cartilage takes place, leading to degenerative changes in its structure. An important factor in the development of gonarthrosis, especially bilateral, is overweight, which exerts an increased strain on the knee joint.
Often among the common causes, we can identify associated pathologies:
- bone fractures and joint trauma;
- tumors of bone tissue of various etiologies;
- inflammation, arthrosis;
- ankylosing spondillitis or rheumatoid arthritis.
Signs of gonarthrosis of 2nd degree
If at the beginning of its occurrence gonarthrosis is asymptomatic, or the symptoms are mild, then with the development of gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2 nd degree it is possible to reveal by completely certain signs.
The main and characteristic symptom of gonarthrosis is a pain syndrome, which is practically absent at the beginning of the process, and only after a long time it acquires a more intensive character and becomes more and more prolonged. Painful sensations appear when moving, climbing stairs, minor physical exertion, walking at considerable distances.
Gonarthrosis of the 2nd degree is characterized by limitation of joint mobility, difficulty in flexing and extension of the limb due to deformation of the joint tissues and intensification of pain sensations. An external manifestation of these changes is the change in the appearance of the knee and lameness. It is during this period that the patient begins to move with a cane, which helps limit the load on the affected joint.
On palpation and during movement in the knee joint, a crunch may appear, which occurs due to deformation of the joint, thinning or complete abrasion of the hyaline cartilage. On the roentgenogram, it is easy to determine the narrowing of the joint gap and the formation of osteophytes - bone growths that replace articular cartilage.
As the articular cartilage thinens, the friction of the bone elements increases, resulting in the inflammation of the joint membrane - synovitis. The classic manifestations of this process are:
- formation of puffiness around the joint;
- localized hyperthermia - fever.
Treatment of gonarthrosis of 2nd degree
Degenerative and dystrophic knee joint damage is an irreversible process, so diagnosis and treatment of the disease at an early stage ensures complete recovery of the patient. In this case, the diagnosis is carried out by collecting anamnesis on the basis of patient complaints, external examination and radiography, on the basis of which it is possible to determine the extent of knee joint damage.
If knee joint gonarthrosis of grade 2 is diagnosed, the treatment consists in an integrated approach, that is, using various techniques aimed at eliminating the symptoms of the disease, reducing the load on the affected joint, and also alleviating the patient's condition. It should be remembered that only a long and regular implementation of all medical recommendations can lead a patient to recovery.
Currently, treatment of gonarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree is carried out by therapeutic methods. Complex therapy allows you to achieve the desired effect in a shorter time, and consists of several methods:
- medication with effective medications;
- physiotherapy procedures;
Knee joint gonarthrosis: treatment of
LFK in gonarthrosis
LFK in gonarthrosis is one of the important methods of restoration of knee joint function in arthrosis. After a course of therapeutic physical education, the patients noted:
- reduction of pain;
- improved mobility and functionality of the joint;
- reduction in muscle tension;
- increased the tone of a weakened muscle group.
Gymnastics in gonarthrosis
Gymnastics in gonarthrosis in the treatment complex plays a positive role. It is carried out mainly at the initial stages of the disease for the purpose of prevention. Therapeutic gymnastics allows for the given affliction of the knee joint:
- to improve the nutrition of articular cartilage;
- to increase the mobility of the knee joint, accustoming it to a certain load;
- strengthen the ligaments and muscles supporting the joint;
- reduce pain and positively affect the overall health.
Gonarthrosis, how to treat, because this knee joint disease is completely incurable? Unfortunately, this is a true statement, due to the fact that it is impossible to restore the former youth to the joint, but it is possible to prevent degenerative processes, if one is engaged in the full treatment of this disease. Any specialist in this field will advise taking action as soon as possible, because the process is rather lengthy and will require an integrated approach.
Traditional methods of treatment of gonarthrosis
Gonarthrosis - treatment of folk remedies is a fairly common technique among patients of this disease, but it requires obligatory consultation with your doctor.
- Burdock is one of the most common means. It is necessary to rinse the leaves of burdock, dry them, put them in a pile, velvety side down, squeeze a pile of capacity with hot water. Then lubricate the diseased knee with vegetable oil and attach to it a pile of burdock leaves with an inner velvety side, top with polyethylene wrapping and fix with a woolen shawl.
- Traditional medicine also uses conventional sunflower oil. For treatment, it will be necessary to warm 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil, and rub it into the damaged joint for the night. Carrying out 5 such procedures relieve pain.
- Cabbage is also loved by folk healers. For the treatment, the leaves of the cabbage are coated with honey, and put on the joint for the whole night, fixing with a bandage. In the morning, you should renew the cabbage compress, for the night again. Usually the course of treatment lasts about a month.
Exercises for gonarthrosis are recommended in the initial period. The complex of exercises it is desirable to get in the office of exercise therapy and perform them systematically, 3-4 times a day. After such exercises, half an hour rest and warming compresses are recommended at bedtime.
How to treat gonarthrosis of the knee joint, if the patient is lazy to perform the exercises? Then you can advise short walks and mandatory rest in a sitting position. It is also useful to visit the pool, rowing, cycling.
The gonarthrosis diet also suggests a contribution to the effectiveness of treatment, since scientists have proven that people with overweight are at risk. After all, the increased weight of the body exerts a considerable load on the knee joints, in this connection they wear out and are deformed. Diet for knee arthrosis:
- balanced nutrition;
- regular meals;
- leading a healthy lifestyle.
Massage with gonarthrosis can reduce pain and eliminate symptoms, especially in the early stages. Massage also improves the nutrition of tissues, develops and strengthens the muscles of the knee joint, preventing its deformation and atrophy.
- About the author
- The last articles