How to treat gout( gouty arthritis) on the legs
Gouty arthritis is known for many centuries. It occurs mainly in people who eat a lot of fatty foods and alcohol, with hereditary predisposition, as well as in men and women, hitting the joints and connective tissues of the fingers and toes, wrists, puscles, and occasionally the elbows and knee joints. The joints of the big toes are most prone to gout.
Description and causes of development of
Gout is a disease associated with a metabolic disorder and an increase in blood levels of uric acid. In healthy people, this acid is excreted from the body by the kidneys, in those suffering from gout, it lingers in the body. There is a deposit of uric acid in the joints in the form of sodium monounrate( a poorly soluble white powder).The very process of deposition causes inflammation and an acute painful gouty attack.
If gout attacks can not be treated, limb damage may occur, joint mobility may be restricted, white nodules filled with salt deposits( tofusi) may form under the skin. Nodules can appear in the area of the joints damaged by gout or behind the auricles.
How to treat gout on the legs
Symptoms of the disease
The first signs indicating the presence of the disease are:
- acute pain syndrome( especially at night), accompanied by burning and pulsation in the joint;
- redness of the skin over the affected joint( from red to purple and purple hues);
- local temperature increase;
At the onset of the disease, seizures occur with prolonged interruptions, however, as arthritis moves to a chronic condition, the joint is increasingly destroyed, and breaks between exacerbations are becoming shorter.
Sample gout on the legs
Diagnosis of arthritic arthritis on the legs
At the first signs indicating the presence of the disease, it is necessary to consult an arthrologist or rheumatologist. If the disease is started, an experienced doctor will diagnose after a visual inspection. However, no additional research is indispensable. First of all, this is the direction of the x-ray image of the feet and brushes, which will reveal gouty areas, as well as a biochemical blood test. And the level of uric acid should be assessed not only at the time of attack, but also in breaks between exacerbations. The reason for this - uric acid, which at the time of the attack is concentrated in the affected area, while the level of its content in the blood drops slightly.
Diagnosis of gangrene with rengen
The test that most accurately confirms gout is arthrocentesis( synovial fluid analysis) of the joint. In this study, the presence of deposits of uric acid salts is detected. If there is a tumor or redness, this type of diagnosis is not used.
Treatment of gout on the legs
The type of treatment prescribed depends on the degree of gouty arthritis, but, nevertheless, the approach should be comprehensive, and the patient must treat the treatment with all responsibility, without throwing it between periods of exacerbation.
- Medical treatment means prescribing pain medications( voltaren, nimulide, ibuprofen, etc.), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( colchicine, indomethacin and others) and medications that inhibit the formation of uric acid( purinol or allopurinol).In addition, the treatment is prescribed anti-gouty drug - colchicine.
At the moment, there are many medications for the treatment of gout
- Locally on the sick site you can put an alcohol-containing compress or cryotherapy( with ice) to reduce inflammation and pain.
- A sick gout is obliged to follow a diet, drink more fluids and exclude alcohol and fatty foods from the diet. If the diet is not adhered to, the level of uric acid in the body will be reduced, which can lead to urolithiasis and worsening of the affected joints.
- Physiotherapy has a positive effect on the limbs affected by gouty arthritis. In the period between bouts are shown: ultrasound, mud therapy, phonophoresis with hydrocortisone. During the seizures, procedures such as UV and pulse currents are prescribed.
- Plasmapheresis has a positive effect on the course of treatment. To do this, the patient is sampled a portion of blood, which is separated by a special unit into plasma and shaped elements, which are returned to the patient, and the plasma is disposed of. Plazmarez allows you to reduce the level of uric acid in the blood, to remove the inflammatory process.
The process of plasmapheresis in a patient
- Surgical intervention becomes feasible for large lesions of tissues and joints, in the presence of large tofuys. This type of surgical intervention is prescribed only on the condition that drug treatment does not bring a positive result.
Treatment of leg gout with folk remedies
- Compression of fish( fillet should be applied to a sore spot, wrapped in film, insulated and left overnight), applied for 10 days.
Compression of fish for the treatment of gout
- Trituration with activated charcoal( 1/2 cup activated charcoal grind to powder and mix with a small amount of water and 1 tablespoon flaxseed) spend the night until complete recovery.
- Ointment from butter and alcohol( butter must be melted and mixed in equal parts with alcohol, the mixture ignited until completely burned alcohol) is applied to the diseased areas until the pain syndrome disappears.
- Iodine and aspirin solution( 10 ml of iodine mixed with 5 tablets of acetylsalicylic acid to a monotonous mass) is used in the form of rubbing, after which wear socks or gloves.
- Baths with iodine( three drops of water will be needed: 9 drops of iodine, 3 teaspoons of baking soda) help reduce uric acid deposits.
- Phytotherapy( herbs are used for baths and for oral administration, for example, chamomile, linden and string) positively affects the general condition of the patient and allows to speed up the recovery process.
- Ointment from sea salt( 0.5 kg of salt is poured with boiling water and put on fire until the moisture evaporates completely, then add 200 g of Vaseline, mix and apply as a compress for the night, warmed with a cloth on top).
- For the treatment of gout, lard is used, rubbing the pieces into the periarticular areas or tied overnight.
- Onion broth( 2-3 uncleaned bulbs are poured with water and boiled until softened) take 3 times a day 3 times a day for half a glass before eating for 10-15 days.
If several joints are involved, non-steroid antibiotics are prescribed.
If the disease has gone far, the doctor may prescribe stronger remedies that reduce edema and suppress the synthesis of urea:
Acute attacks of gout are removed by injection directly into the joint. The injection is done once, but in some cases it is necessary to repeat it.
If the diseases associated with metabolic disorders( for example, diabetes) are identified, the doctor determines the treatment regimen for these diseases.
Control of excess uric acid
To limit the concentration in the body of uric acid are prescribed:
- Aspirin in small doses to suppress the secretion of uric acid.
- Butadione has a moderate effect, side effects are possible.
- Anturan is the most effective drug today. It significantly reduces the presence of uric acid in the blood. A full normalization is possible within 2-3 weeks.
- Ketazone in parallel has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
- BENEMIDE is widely recognized as a very effective remedy. Can be used for a long time constantly. Breaks are prescribed up to 5 months in the case of long-term therapeutic effect.
- Atofan is able to relieve an acute attack. But it is used very carefully because of side effects.
- Urodan increases the solubility of urine formations.
A modern way to treat leg gout involves electromagnetic exposure or electrophoresis .With the help of electrical microcurrents, the salts formed undergo destruction, and uric acid is eliminated from the body. The most modern method of purifying blood is the use of a special apparatus called "Plasmophoresogemosorption".
Another progressive method of treating gout and arresting seizures is the cryoapheresis of .It is based on the use of low temperatures, affecting the blood and its constituent elements. This method:
- retains and returns to the bloodstream cellular elements and nutrients in the maximum amount,
- simultaneously removes uric acid and other components of the final exchange chain from the blood plasma, which must be removed from the body.
As an auxiliary method is the treatment in a sanatorium and in a resort. In these places, there are all possibilities for a full range of physiotherapy procedures, including massage and physiotherapy.
If the course of the disease becomes particularly severe, resort to surgical removal of the outgrowths of the diseased joint.
Treatment with folk remedies
Decoctions and infusions
To remove excess urea from the body, folk medicine advises drinking decoctions and infusions, for example:
- Infusion of cranberry leaves. A glass of boiling water pours 20 g of leaves. Insists half an hour. Drink during the day several times a tablespoon.
- Juice of dioecious nettle taken three times a day for 1 tsp.
- Decoction of birch leaves. For two glasses of boiling water, two tablespoons of leaves.10 minutes to boil and insist for half an hour. After filtering, drink a quarter cup while eating.
- Decoction of garlic and lemon. Very effective. Through the meat grinder, skip four lemons, chop three cloves of garlic. Pour the mixture with boiling water( 7 glasses) and insist 24 hours in a dark place. Take in the morning before meals for 3 tablespoons.l.
Baths and compresses
A good result is obtained when treating gout with herbal baths. They can be prepared from:
- sage leaves,
- oat straw.
It is useful to soar your feet in a hot solution with laundry soap( rub half a piece) and salt( half-packs).
A simple and effective compress prepared from 250 g of salt, which should be boiled in 100 g of water until the water evaporates. Then the medical vaseline( 200 g) is squeezed into the salt, and everything is mixed. Warm the compress on your aching legs and hold for the night.
A good remedy for treating painful cones on the toes is a compress made from pharmacy medical bile. After 15 procedures, the pain passes. And as a result of 40-45 procedures, the lump resolves.
A more complex composition of a compress of medical bile( 1 bottle) involves the addition of camphor alcohol( 160 g), red hot pepper( 1 tbsp.).The composition in the bank should stand for a week in a dark cool place.
Sometimes the pain is removed by applying ice on the affected joint. In other cases, dry heat is more effective( for example, a blanket, a heating pad).But this means for a short while removes manifestations of the disease.
The role of the correction of nutrition
A good result in the treatment of gout is compliance with the diet. With it, you can greatly reduce the level of urea in the body. We should not forget about unloading days.
Drinking up to three liters of fluids per day:
How to treat gout at home
- 4 Prevention of attacks and relapses
Gout is a chronic systemic disease with quite frequent bouts of exacerbation associated with impaired purine metabolism and accumulationuric acid and its salts in the body. Most patients have a natural and natural question about how to cure gout at home.
It should be noted right away that it is almost impossible to be cured forever, but it is possible to achieve persistent remission, get rid of joint pain and significantly reduce the number of gout attacks.
In addition, the main course of therapy can be done on an outpatient basis.
Which doctor treats gout?
It is absolutely not recommended to take any medications for gout, use ointments, do compresses without consulting a specialist. Assessment of clinical symptoms, diagnostic tests, the formulation of the appropriate diagnosis and the appointment of a specific treatment should be done either by the local therapist or by a rheumatologist.
How to treat gout at different stages at home?
At home, you need to cope not only with acute attacks of gout, but also learn to prevent relapses. And also to achieve a stable remission, having previously received a consultation from the attending physician. Treatment of gout with medicines is aimed at such factors:
- Control of acute joint pain and getting rid of common symptoms of inflammation.
- Reducing the frequency of relapses as much as possible.
- Prevent further accumulation of uric acid salts and removal of existing foci of urate deposition.
How can I remove a gout attack with leg joint damage?
For the removal of an attack of gout, relief of pain and elimination of signs of inflammation in the joints on the legs, medicines are used, as well as local therapy( applications and compresses).Before using any of the listed therapeutic methods, be sure to get approval from a medical specialist.
According to the common practice, from the attack of gout and joint pain at home, only proven and effective medications should be used, preferably in the form of tablets, capsules and soluble powders. With the permission of the supervising physician, you can take:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, nimesulide).
- In case of ineffectiveness of NSAIDs or presence of contraindications - colchicine.
- If the above cures for gout do not help, then go on to taking glucocorticoids in tablets( prednisolone).
Despite the fact that aspirin refers to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, it and other salicylates are not recommended for exacerbation of gout and clinical symptoms of the disease. As some studies show, soluble aspirin tablets taken ingestion can increase the level of uric acid and provoke an increase in the attack.
For the treatment of any form of gout, when it is aggravated, local therapeutic procedures are actively used. Excellent effect:
- Application to the affected joints( metatarsophalangeal toe, knee, ankle, elbow, wrist) dimexide solution. The effectiveness of the procedure is significantly increased when combined with a glucocorticoid drug.
- Heating compresses, which usually need to be done after the pain subsides.
After performing medical treatment of gouty arthritis at home, and not having achieved the disappearance of clinical symptoms of joint inflammation on the legs, it is necessary to always consult a doctor.
What ointments are used for gout when joints are inflamed?
Clinical experience shows that with the inflammation of any joint on the legs( knee, ankle or metatarsophalangeal joint of the big toe) treatment of gout with anti-inflammatory ointments is practically not effective.
Quickly to remove joint pain in the diagnosis of gout, using a variety of ointments or gels, usually also fails.
Folk remedies for an acute gout attack in home treatment
Unconventional methods for the therapy of gouty arthritis that can cope with both joint pain and normalize uric acid level include:
There are almost no restrictions with regard toVegetables, except:
The treatment of gout with medicines is aimed at reducing the swelling of tissues near the affected area, reducing the level of uric acid. There is a difference between drugs that are taken during relapse and between seizures. Some medicines for gout should only be used under the supervision of a doctor who monitors blood parameters. In the case of the first attack of arthritis, the patient receives anti-inflammatory drugs. Use of drugs to reduce the level of uric acid can lead to negative results
When developing gout, the drugs are designed to relieve pain, eliminate swelling of the tissues. To do this, use inflammatory and steroid-free medications, special anti-gout remedies such as Nimesulide, Ibuprofen, Movalis. Do not use aspirin."Colchicine" is a special drug that helps fight the worsening of the disease. If colchicine and painkillers are rendered helpless, glucocorticoids enter the case. To treat gout with exacerbation of ointments and other means are already useless.
Between attacks of exacerbation patient prescribed drugs to suppress the production of uric acid. How to take allopurinol for gout? Tablets are washed down with water after eating. What should be the dosage - the doctor should calculate. To improve the removal of uric acid from the body, "Colchicine" is used, the use of which is permissible under the prescription of the doctor. There is also alternative medicine - homeopathy. Often for the treatment of gout in case of exacerbation, the herb is a cesspool, formic acid. A quick way to recover is sanatorium treatment.
Treatment with folk remedies at home
Here are the most famous methods:
- Compress with fish fillet. Apply to the hearth of illness, fix and hold all night. Repeat for 10 days.
- Half a cup of activated charcoal is turned into a powder, mixed with one tablespoon of flaxseed, diluted with water, rubbed in a sore spot before going to bed.
- Ointment from melted butter mixed with the same amount of vodka. Alcohol should be removed from the mixture. To do this, you need to set it on fire, then rub the ointment in the affected area to reduce pain.
- A mixture of five aspirin tablets, 10 milliliters of iodine. After use on a sore spot, wear gloves or socks.
- Baths from three liters of water, three teaspoons of soda, nine drops of iodine.
- Salo. Rub the pieces into the adjacent areas or leave them overnight fixed on the sore spot.
- Ointment from gout on legs with sea salt. A half-kilogram of white ingredient should be poured with boiling water and left on the stove until water boils. After that, two hundred grams of Vaseline are added to the salt, a compress is made from the resulting ointment, which is insulated and left overnight.
Prevention of exacerbations of
Gout manifests itself where the joint was damaged. It is necessary to avoid uncomfortable and narrow shoes, so as not to injure the big toe, often affected by the disease. Especially dangerous is the disease for small joints, which should be constantly loaded with movement. A healthy lifestyle helps to reduce the level of urate and uric acid. Daily exercise, walking will have the most beneficial effect. Vegetables, fruits, milk, eggs, cheese will always be useful. You should forget about nicotine and alcohol, they interfere with the excretion of uric acid.
Video: what is gout and how to treat it
In the story, the doctor explains what factors say about the development of gout. The expert explains why the disease is noted in fat people. In the video below explain, on the basis of what the disease is confused with osteoarthritis and flat feet. Diagnosis, the causes of the disease and the treatment of gout when exacerbated - is available in simple language. See and take note of effective advice.Like the article? Tell your friends:
Comments with the advertisement of products or services are posted only on a paid basis or are deleted.