Back massage for scoliosis
Scoliosis is one of the types of curvature of the spine axis, which is based on its lateral displacements. This means that in scoliosis, the vertebral column is deformed in such a way that one or more of its sections are deflected to the right or left of the median line. The disease occurs mainly in childhood and adolescence. His treatment must necessarily be comprehensive. An important place of the medical complex is massage with scoliosis, which is devoted to this article.
The therapeutic possibilities of massage in the treatment of scoliosis
The basis of the therapeutic effect of massage on the course of the scoliotic process is the purposeful relief of the main links in the mechanism of triggering and progression of this disease. The effectiveness of the procedure is explained by such an effect on the tissue:
- Normalization of the muscle tone. It is represented by its redistribution between stretched and flabby near-vertebral muscles due to an increase in their tone and strength. The contracted muscles on the other hand, on the contrary, become soft and supple. Due to this, the existing deformation is eliminated if it is reversible( maximum in grade 3 scoliosis).
- Improvement of blood circulation and lymph flow in affected tissues of the vertebral segment. Due to this, their nutrition is restored, trophic and regenerative processes are improved.
- Reflex action on pain receptors. Provides analgesic effect.
- Increased strength and elasticity of the ligamentous apparatus of the spine. The vertebrae become more mobile, which allows them to be repositioned in the physiological position in combination with the ability to stay in it.
- Generalizing and improving effect. Properly conducted massage positively affects the functioning of internal organs and the nervous system.
It's important to remember! Massage with scoliosis is an indispensable and integral component of the curative program. Its effectiveness is the higher, the more the requirements to performance are observed and the degree of severity of scoliosis is less!
Like any other treatment technique, massage with scoliosis has its own distinct contraindications. These include:
- local changes in skin and soft tissues in a zone that will be susceptible to manual intervention( rash, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, pustular abscess, abscesses, etc.);
- combination of scoliosis with diseases of the spine, manifested by its instability( spondylolisthesis, large disc hernias, early recovery period after vertebral fractures, etc.);
- any acute diseases and conditions( inflammatory or active exacerbation of chronic pathological processes in any organs and tissues);
- oncological diseases, specific damage in tuberculosis and other infectious processes of any localization;
- increase in body temperature, regardless of the causes and nature of hyperthermia;
- post-infarction period, cardiac and hepatic-renal failure, uncorrectable hypertension, malformations.
Scoliosis is a disease predominantly of childhood. The use of massage in these patients is characterized by high efficiency of
. The main rules and technique of performing
The back massage for scoliosis is based on observance of certain rules of its conduct and organization. Knowledge of these subtleties and their introduction into practice will allow achieving higher results of treatment. The basic rules look like this:We recommend reading: Complex of exercise therapy for scoliosis
- The main object of manipulation during a massage with scoliosis is muscle. The therapeutic effect of the method consists in relaxing and lengthening the toned muscles on the side of the concave part of the arch of the spine with simultaneous strengthening and contraction of muscle groups from the opposite side.
- Mandatory differentiated inclusion in the massage session, not only the muscles of the back, but also the belts of the upper and lower extremities( pelvis, shoulder, shoulders, hips), depending on the location of the curvature of the spine.
- The initial and final stages of treatment should be presented by intense surface massage techniques from scoliosis. This is necessary for the overall mobilization of the protective and restorative mechanisms of the body. The main deep corrective actions with respect to elimination of deformations are performed in the middle part of the treatment course.
- The effect on the muscular groups of the chest, gluteus and the shoulder area ensures the consolidation of the achieved results of the massage, the formation of a correct posture and establishes the formed motor-muscle stereotype.
- Special body positions must be used during the massage, in which the deformations are best eliminated.
- The height of the massage table should be such that the massage therapist had the opportunity to exert maximum force of manual influences( ideally the table should be slightly below the level of the fingertips of the hands).
- Children's massage for scoliosis should consist of 20-25 sessions, which are performed 2 to 4 times a year, which is determined by the degree of curvature of the spine and resistance to correction. The first sessions should last about 20 minutes with a gradual increase to 40-45 minutes.
It's important to remember! The effectiveness of massage with scoliosis increases with its combination with individually selected gymnastics to strengthen the muscles of the spine. The normalized tone is maintained at the proper level by muscles that have a strengthened structure. Only they are able to keep the vertebrae from re-deformation in the process of vital activity!
Some subtleties of
The direct massage technique for scoliosis should be based on observance of such subtleties:
- Manual manipulations on the muscles located on the concave side of deformation should be represented by kneading, squeezing, shaking with rough vibration.
- The convex part of the arc is massed by sliding, stroking, rubbing and weak vibrational movements.
- The impact on local nodal formation and muscle thickening should be point and reflex.
- The intensity of the manipulations that the masseur makes is determined by the individual features of the musculoskeletal structures, their strength and compliance, the age of the patient and the degree of deviations available.
- The first during the massage should be massaged back( in the thoracic and thoraco-lumbar region), then you should work on the lower lumbar and gluteal region. The abdomen, chest and upper shoulder girdle are massaged last.
During the massage, patients with scoliosis should use manual techniques performed from different positions of both the patient and the masseuse
. How to massage
The methods of massage for scoliosis are best mastered with the help of educational videos. They can be represented by these types of manual effects:
- In the supine position with a turn of the head in the opposite direction from the maximum arc of the curvature of the spine of the side. The masseur performs superficial stroking movements along the entire length of the back( 3-5 minutes).
- Differential massage from scoliosis - superficial manual effects on the muscles located on the side of the convex part of the vertebral arch. On the opposite side, deep receptions are performed( their varieties are described in the rubric "some subtleties").
- Rotate the patient sideways, so that the spine is located concave side downwards( to the right side with right scoliosis, to the left side - with the left-side scoliosis).In this position, massage of the lumbar and gluteal regions is performed.
- Rotate the patient to the back. Trituration and massaging of the muscles of the thorax and intercostal spaces are performed.
- Point reflex-segmental massage. To begin to do massage of this type is not necessary from the first sessions. Their essence is in the performance of screwing, vibrating, stretching movements on a small zone in the region of a certain vertebral segment. Thus, elimination of reflex muscular spasm caused by irritation of the spinal roots is achieved.
It's important to remember! Not always against the background of the first sessions of massage positive dynamics are registered. In some cases there is an increase in pain and worsening of well-being. All these phenomena in most cases are temporary and will eventually pass independently. They should not be the reason for refusing to continue the sessions!
According to the data of most specialized centers, massage against scoliosis is an effective component of complex treatment. Most cases of the disease against the background of its implementation are characterized by a transition of the scoliosis of the third degree to the second. The first degree of scoliosis can be completely eliminated with the help of a massage alone.
What types of massage can be recommended for the treatment of scoliosis?
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis
It has been established that a qualitatively performed back massage with scoliosis will help not only stop and prevent the further development of the pathological process, but also finally eliminate the disease itself. In this case, the following methods are used:
- Therapeutic massage , which aims to remove the pathological curvature of the spine of a sick person.
- Prophylactic , this technique stabilizes the disease. In turn, this type of massage is divided into:
- reflex, which stimulates the functioning of the circulatory system to prevent muscular dystrophy;
- is a segmental one, which is an effect on the active points of the patient's body, through which indirect stimulation of the internal organs proceeds.
As one of the constituent parts of the complex medical process, massage with spinal scoliosis affects:
- nervous system, while not only stimulating nerve endings, but also calming, as the patient, in connection with the disease, is in an overexcited state;
- improves the performance of the musculoskeletal system, increases blood supply;
- corrects the activity of the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which in turn leads to an acceleration of metabolic processes;
- skin improves its appearance, removes dead cells, stimulates the work of sweat and sebaceous glands.
Requirements for the procedure
Massage for scoliosis in children
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis in children and adults is conducted every six months. Appointed at least 20 visits to the masseur. The treatment time gradually increases from 20 minutes and up to an hour to the middle of the course treatment.
Before the procedure begins, the patient is laid on a massage table. Man should be comfortable. Muscles should be relaxed. The spinal column is as far as possible aligned to the anatomical norm. The position of the body in time of the entire medical process does not change.
There are many methodical recommendations and videos on the technique of carrying out the massage. However, it is necessary to know that the session begins with the warming up of those parts of the body that will be massaged. Then, the therapeutic effect itself is carried out directly. It includes rubbing and kneading movements, vibration of various kinds, stretching and shearing. The procedure ends with soothing techniques( stroking and kneading).
Massage in an initial degree of disease
Massage at a scoliosis of 1 degree
If massage is prescribed for a scoliosis of 1 degree, then it is necessary to take into account, from which side the deformation of the spine is indicated. The therapeutic effect on the muscles that are in the tone, is directed to their relaxation, and from the opposite side of the body - to stimulation. The patient should not have any pain.
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis of the 2 nd degree is most often prescribed not immediately, but 2-3 months after the beginning of exercise therapy. During this time, the muscular corset will be most prepared for a massage course of treatment. The procedure is similar to the one used at grade 1.
Purpose of massage with more severe curvature of the spinal column
At 3 degrees of the disease, massage is prescribed with great care. This is due to the fact that apart from more serious destructive changes on the part of the bones of the spine and thorax, disorders of the internal organs occur, which serves as a contraindication.
However, massage plays a big role in recovery after surgery, which is often the main method of therapy at this stage of the disease. He is appointed in the postoperative period at both 3 and 4 degrees of the pathological process. In this case, massage will help strengthen the muscles and stabilize the general condition of the patient.
Massage for scoliosis in children
Massage therapy is necessary for every child who has any signs of scoliosis, especially it is important for children with weak muscles. Also, this procedure will not be superfluous for schoolchildren and preschool children as prevention of the disease.
How is a child's massage performed in the curvature of the spine
A child with a diagnosis of "Scoliosis" can be treated by massages at home, but only if the vertebrae does not deviate by more than 10 ° from the norm. In this case, you will also need special exercises aimed at strengthening the muscles. In any case, first the technique of children's massage in scoliosis should show a professional, and then under his control you can try it yourself.
The tasks of massage for scoliosis in children are:
- to strengthen the muscles and normalize their tone, so that they better retain the skeleton;
- improve trophicity;
- to relieve fatigue from the back;
- to promote correction of not only the spinal vertebrae, but also the whole body;
- reduce pain( if any).
If there is a double curvature, in the chest and lower back, then a differentiated massage is required for scoliosis. The entire back is conventionally divided into four zones - two lumbar and thoracic sections. And then work with each zone individually.
Method of child massage
When performing a massage at home from scoliosis, it is necessary to prepare an even and hard surface. The child should lie on his stomach and bend his hands. The head must be turned in the opposite direction from the curvature. First, perform a series of relaxing exercises: stroking, light pats, the palm leads from the sacrum to the shoulders. Then, with the half-bent fingers, the entire surface of the back is triturated. The intensity of pressing should be adjusted depending on the zone, the total force of the impact should be small.
Massage with scoliosis in the initial stage of
If the disease is not expressed, it will be enough to alternate rubbing with slight kneading of the dorsal muscles. The force of influence must be changed alternately: then increase, then decrease. Particular attention should be paid to the area between the shoulder blades and along the spine.
Scoliosis massage 2-3 degrees
In this case the disease has moderately expressed signs: curvature up to 50 °, torsion( twisting).Back massage with scoliosis of the 2nd degree is already differentiated. As a rule, the thoracic zone is characterized by the formation of a muscular cushion and rib budding. In this area, the work is aimed at toning the muscles, the intensity of the pressure should have a large amplitude. As the muscles strengthen, the techniques are supplemented with weights so that the effect on the muscles is maximized.
Further pass to the lumbar region, most often it is characterized by convexity. This area is massaged to relax the muscles. In the stretching zones, the palms are placed parallel to each other and they are bred in different directions. Then the child is turned on his side, and the masseur stretches his muscles for the iliac crest.
If there is tension in the lumbar region, then the palm is firmly pressed against the damaged area of the sacrum and leads to the lower edge of the scapula. After the manipulations, the baby is put on the stomach. Then, stimulating movements are carried out in the areas of convexity. Gradually, also add burdens. In the subscapular zone, movements are directed to relax and stretch the muscles. In the area of the shoulder, stimulation is necessary. Then the child is turned on his back and the chest area is massaged. At first the procedure lasts 15 minutes, gradually increasing the time to 30 minutes.
Massage for scoliosis. Basic massage techniques for scoliosis.| |Life without scoliosis
Scoliosis massage is one of the methods of conservative treatment at any degree of curvature, but it can only effect in a compartment with other methods: exercise therapy, physiotherapy, gym, swimming, etc. This is due to the fact that with manualtherapy can improve the position of the spine, reduce the arc curvature, relieve tension in the muscles. But a back massage with scoliosis can not strengthen the muscle corset to the right degree. To do this, the above listed techniques are used.
Two theories of massage with spinal scoliosis
First, let's dwell on this point: everyone knows that the purpose of the massage is to relax the tense muscles and toning the weakened ones. Here the main question arises: which muscles are considered strained, and which are relaxed? There can be two options here: the muscles of the concave part of the back are strained, and the muscles of the convex part are relaxed and vice versa, respectively. The first version is supported by the theory of the so-called bow string. Here, the arch of the spine is compared with the bow, and the following conclusion is drawn: the muscles of the back like a bow string pull the spine in the concave part of it, so the other part of the back is relaxed. This version is put forward by surgeons who operate with this disease.
Now let's move on to the arguments.
The root cause of scoliosis is now and many years ago considered to be gravity. Under this force, it is clear where the pressure arises at the upper point of curvature: the vertebrae from the concave side develop more slowly, from which pressure appears on the vertebrae and along with it the muscle tension. The theory with onions is categorically illogical - here, for some reason, the cause of scoliosis is the force of muscle tension, into which the "force" of gravity "suddenly" was transformed.
On the other hand, a large number of independent studies by many well-known specialists( Alvin M. Arkin, Poland, AA Skoblin, Russia, Armstrong, USA, etc.), confirms the opposite: the muscles of the curved part are strained. This is supported by measurements in patients with electrical potential of the back. It is always greater in the convex part of it. Also, these muscles will change their structure, increasing the number of fibers that work for endurance to compensate for their increased activity.
Thus, the constant toning of the muscles of the convex part of the back during massage leads to their chronic inflammation, and accordingly to weakness and further dysfunction. The weakness of these muscles arises from their re-use, but not the other way around.
Now consider the muscles of the back from the side of the concavity. They are shortened, therefore, they can not develop the maximum stress. This effect is possible only with the length of the muscle, close to the physiological. Therefore, the chronically inactive muscle is weak.
You can not categorically divide your back into two halves: tense and relaxed. Different muscles and one and the other can be in one of these two states, but more tense muscles on the side of the bulge. Carrying out a massage in scoliosis, you need to pay attention to each muscle, recognize its condition and conduct an appropriate massage.
So what to believe more?
Despite all the above arguments, with a back massage carefully monitor your feelings and well-being. Be interested in the doctor from which side he will relax the muscles, and with what tonify. It is also good if, in response, you hear that the diagnosis will first be carried out for tight muscles. If something does not like or causes unpleasant and painful sensations, it is worthwhile to think about changing the masseur. After all, finding a high-class specialist is difficult.
Dear parents! If your child is diagnosed with this disease, learn how to do massage yourself for scoliosis in children. Listen to your child, his complaints, because no one will do it except you. Doctors, however rude it may sound, do not lose anything if they do something wrong. And on a fee-based basis the doctor is to some extent even interested that you come to him again and again.
Basic massage techniques for scoliosis
Massage therapy for scoliosis should begin with the muscles of the legs, then the hips, abdomen and, lastly, the back. The technique of massage with scoliosis of the back is in principle clear - to strengthen the weak muscles and relax the strained. For different types of scoliosis, a corresponding massage is required.
First case - c-shaped thoracic scoliosis : Back massage begins with stroking the back. First, the concave side is massed, then convex. Further, long and broadest muscles are kneaded in circular motions, the muscles of the intercostal spaces are rectilinear movements. Further, the neck and the trapezius muscle are massaged - here the dynamics and duration of the massage on the entire surface should not differ. Massage techniques should alternate with stroking and shaking. The purpose of the first sessions is to relax the muscles of the neck and the convex part of the back as much as possible. Next, you should strengthen and stimulate the muscles of the opposite part of the back. It is also necessary to massage the muscles of the breast - they need relaxation, and the abdominal muscles - for the purpose of strengthening.
The second case is a c-shaped scoliosis of the lumbar spine. Here the massage, as in the previous case, begins with stroking the back, then the "squeezing" techniques are performed. The sequence of massage here is the same as above - first the concave side, then the convex one. The first is warm-up of long and broadest muscles of the back with circular and circular motions, then the muscles of intercostal spaces are massaged rectilinearly. Next, you need to massage the lumbar region, using rectilinear and circular motions. The next step is massage of the pelvic region in the following sequence: stroking, "squeezing", kneading the sacrum and the crest of the ilium. After that, we exert pressure on the convex part of the back, trying to "return" the spine to its place. The final stage is massage of the leg muscles. Particular attention is paid to the leg from the convex side. Sequence at massage of a forward surface: a femur, a knee joint, a shin;on the back: thigh, knee joint, calf muscle.
The third case is the s-shaped scoliosis of .Here, massage is performed on the lumbar and thoracic spine according to the technique described above.
The duration of the massage is 10-12 sessions, it should be repeated two to three times a year, depending on the degree of curvature and well-being.
Scoliosis massage video training
Therapeutic massage for scoliosis is taught for a long time at various courses. To find something similar in your city - use the search. But if you already know how to do a massage, but just forgot something - you can watch a back massage with scoliosis videos. This will help you remember the basic techniques and techniques of massage.
If you are doing massage to a child, then you will benefit from the following - massage for scoliosis in children video
Scoliosis. Treatment in children with massage Yumeiho
http://dobroe-plemya.ru - video channel for the family "Good Tribe".Massage Yumeiho - Japanese method of chiropractic, allowing to start mechanisms of correction of the musculoskeletal system.
Treatment of scoliosis, kyphosis and other disorders of spine formation is successfully accomplished with the help of such a method of manual therapy as Yumeiho massage. Yumeiho massage with scoliosis in combination with exercises in scoliosis can give a lasting effect
Masseur and Yumeiho therapist Sergei Chudinov talks about the massage and its effect on the correct spine formation in the child