What to do if the jaw hurts near the ear
The reasons for which the jaw hurts near the ear can be a great many.
Pain in connection with wearing
prostheses. If you recently visited an orthodontist, and now you have a jaw near your ear, then this is quite normal.There is no cause for concern. The installation of braces presupposes the presence of such a syndrome, since teeth will move slightly during the formation of the occlusion. The same can be said if you use removable dentures.
Pains due to injuries
Often it happens that the jaw hurts near the ear due to injury. Types of injuries are very different:
Pains due to inflammatory diseases
There are many diseases in which the jaw near the ear hurts. These are:
1. Osteomyelitis. A serious pathology of the body is enough, which can lead to complications, so treatment is required as soon as possible. The main symptoms of this disease can occur in elevated temperature, swelling, and enlargement of the lymph nodes.
2. Phlegmon and abscesses. In this case, the clinical picture is almost the same as in osteomyelitis, although the focus of inflammation is usually under the tongue, but the pain still pushes in the ear.
3. Furunculosis. It appears as a purulent formation on the skin, which pulls it together, as a result of which the jaw hurts near the ear. Furuncles are dangerous because they have the property to spread very quickly, and the disease can move to the skull. Therefore, you can not hesitate with them.
Pathologies in the area of the temple and lower jaw
In such cases, pain can be in the jaw region or in the ear. The main varieties of pathologies include:
1. Osteoarthritis. If the jaw hurts on the left near the ear, it is most likely a symptom of this disease. Also, there may be a crunch and stiffness of the jaw movements in the morning.
2. Arthritis. Symptoms are almost identical to the above. True, sometimes the pain may not be expressed, many patients note only a feeling of mild discomfort.
3. Disturbance of the function of the joint leading from the temple to the lower jaw. This pathology is characterized by clicks during the opening of the mouth. In this case, also the pain in the jaw gives in the temple, forehead and cheeks.
Pain in tumors
All tumors in turn are divided into benign and malignant. The first ones are:
1. Osteoid osteoma. Sometimes it is asymptomatic for a very long time, because of what you can skip the initial stage, and ultimately such a tumor leads to a skewed face.
2. Osteoblastoklastoma. With her, as a rule, pain occurs during chewing, with time manifest themselves in the form of a fistula.
3. Adamanthinoma. A characteristic feature is the thickening of the jaw, and painful sensations start to appear in the course of time.
Malignant tumors can be:
1. Cancer. It affects first soft tissues, which subsequently leads to the loss of teeth.
2. Sarcoma. A dangerous disease that spreads almost instantly.
In addition to these major diseases, there is also a pathology of the teeth, and a disease of blood vessels or gums, and many other reasons why you may be troubled by pain in the jaw. Consultation of a doctor here is simply necessary, otherwise the consequences can be deplorable.
Why does the jaw ache near the ear: list of causes of
Stomatologists often have to deal with patients' complaints when they have a jaw near the ear. But this symptom is not in all cases is associated with tooth disease. The pain in the jaw at the ear level from either side can be caused by:
- Temporomandibular joint disease,
- Trigeminal neuralgia( the disease calls for a neurologist),
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases of the salivary glands and maxillary sinuses,
- Dental pathologies( wearing dentures, incorrect bite, gum disease and teeth),
- Pyoinflammatory diseases( osteomyelitis, periostitis, phlegmon, abscess, furunculosis),
- Malignant and benign
Temporomandibular joint disease
The cause of the pain in the jaw and ear in the temporomandibular joint pathology is usually:
- Arthrosis is a degenerative joint damage that is characterized by the appearance of persistent aching pains that are aggravated by chewing, a feeling of stiffness in the morning, a crunch when opening the mouth.
- Arthritis is a joint disease that is inflammatory in nature, manifested by difficulty opening the mouth in the morning, painful sensations in the jaws of varying intensity, clicks and crunching when moving in the joint.
- Joint dysfunction is a functioning disorder that is a consequence of inflammatory processes, trauma, bite disorders or muscle disorders. Pain with dysfunction can irradiate( spread) in the temple, forehead or cheek, accompanied by a violation of movement in the jaw and clicks when opening the mouth.
In order to clarify the diagnosis and prescribe a treatment, you need to go to the dentist and make a radiograph.
Jaw pain in
injuries One of the main symptoms of jaw injuries is pain, the intensity of which is caused by the nature of the injury.
- The most easy trauma is a bruise, it is expressed by swelling, soreness and the appearance of a hematoma.
- A serious injury is a fracture of the jaw, which, in addition to sharp severe pain, can be manifested by severe swelling, the appearance of a hematoma, difficult opening of the mouth. A sign of a fracture of the upper jaw is a symptom of "glasses" - symmetrical bruises around the eyes.
- With a sharp strong opening of the mouth, you can get a dislocation of the lower jaw, which can be determined by the impossibility of closing the mouth and severe pain.
Jaw injuries require treatment in the emergency room to determine the exact diagnosis and subsequent treatment of the disease.
Pain in purulent-inflammatory processes
Purulent pathologies of soft or bone tissue are manifested by a sharp deterioration in the general condition of the patient, increased body temperature, swelling, leading to a change in the shape or symmetry of the face, inflammation of the lymph nodes. Such diseases can lead to serious complications and require immediate hospitalization, do not try to treat them yourself.
Pain in the jaw with diseases of the salivary glands and maxillary sinuses
The cause of the pain in this case can be:
- Sinusitis - most often the disease is one-sided and characterized by a unilateral character of pain, sensation of pressure in the sinus sinus, permanent nasal congestion,-doctor.
- Parotitis or mumps is a disease of the parotid salivary glands of a viral nature, which often develops in childhood, without trace, and is manifested by a characteristic swelling in the cheek area, a general malaise of fever.
Dental pathology and pain in the jaw
With dental pathologies, the pain in the jaw near the ear can be odontogenic in pulpitis and periodontitis, the development of periodontal abscess, root fractures or the crown of molars, difficult to erupt the upper wisdom tooth. Also, their cause may be an inflammatory process in the gums( gingivitis) or periodontitis( periodontitis).
For all diseases of the dento-jaw system, in addition to painful sensations in the jaw, there are always manifestations of diseases in the oral cavity. Diagnosis and treatment of such pathologies involved dentist( if there is evidence of maxillofacial surgeon).
Pain in development of
neoplasms Malignant and benign jaw tumors have similar symptoms and special studies are needed to determine the correct diagnosis. Benign neoplasms include: osteoblastoklastoma, osteoid osteoma, adamantinoma, and malignant - cancer, sarcoma and osteogenic sarcoma.By the way: To stay healthy in any weather, it is important to strengthen your immunity! Pay attention to the new tool for health promotion - drops for immunity "Immunity", which in 2 days remove the signs of influenza and SARS and protect against infections!
Need an otolaryngologist? Choose it for free:
xn ---- 7sbkfax0adahceasemcipeqc0c2loc.xn - p1ai
Hello, friends! All of us understand and it is obvious that when the jaw hurts when opening the mouth: it is impossible to eat or talk.
It's clear, it's understandable, but here's what to do. ..?
As it often happens, it is difficult to determine exactly what happened.
One of the most common causes is the wisdom teeth - a rudiment that only gives problems to modern people.
How can we alleviate our situation in this situation?
The jaw hurts when you open the mouth
Some tips that will be useful to those who have a jaw when opening their mouth because of problems with the wisdom tooth:
- Make a note to the dentist: if the tooth is only cut, the dentist will cut the gum so that it can exit less painfully. If the inflammation started because of a grown tooth, then it is most likely necessary to remove it.
- Take a strong analgesic( ketans, dexalgin, nimesulide, aspirin).Many drugs relieve not only pain, but also inflammation.
- Use local anti-inflammatory drugs, for example, rinse your mouth with sage infusion or diluted rotocaine.
Why does the jaw hurt
As always, the causes of pain when opening the mouth are very diverse. There are obvious: for example, with a fracture or dislocation, no one will doubt why the jaw hurts.
Cyst, pulpitis, ear disease, inflammation of the lymph nodes or trigeminal nerve and many other factors can cause pain. You probably will help a dentist or neurologist.
Bruxism is a rather interesting disease that leads to problems with teeth and chewing apparatus.
A patient with bruxism grinds his teeth, most often at night in a dream. From this, the enamel becomes thin, caries appear, the state of health worsens, pains in the ears, muscles of the head appear.
For treatment, they turn to a psychologist to learn to relax and get rid of their experiences, and also use a special kappa( trainer), which protects the enamel from erasure.
There are cases when during the opening our "chewing apparatus" does not hurt, but clicks. The click sound at the opening, unlike the pain, is a clear sign of problems with the joint.
Why the jaw click
The characteristic clicks when opening the mouth are associated with a disruption of the joint. This pathology is called dysfunction of the TMJ, chronic subluxation, Kosten's syndrome.
The disease has many names, but it has one cause - movement in the joint occurs unevenly. Because of this, work is difficult: when opened, it is slightly shifted to the side, and then only after clicking, the mouth opens completely.
In the joint itself, there are no nerve endings, so it can not hurt. However, sometimes the pain spreads the ear, neck, head, back( rarely).A person can suffer from pain and do not understand what is happening until the disease goes to the next stage, and it does not start to click.
Treatment of this ailment is rather complicated and time-consuming. Most likely, you will need the help of a dentist for:
- bite correction;
- bringing the oral cavity in order;
- surgical intervention;
- manufacturer trainer.
In any case, one can not ignore the characteristic sign of joint disease, but you need to go to the doctor with the question of why the jaw clicks.
Very often in such patients, arthrosis of the joint is found, which can pass into ankylosis. With ankylosis the joint is destroyed, the bone tissue is replaced by a connective tissue and, as a result, it ceases to function and becomes immobilized.
If you feel that the aching jaw when opening the mouth of , then maybe you can do it yourself using analgesics, antiseptics and anti-inflammatory drugs, but not everyone will do without the help of a dentist.
Why does the lower jaw hurt, and what should I do?
- 2.3 Soreness under the jaw
If you have a lower jaw, then you should contact a dentist, a surgeon or a neurologist. The fact is that the pain in the lower jaw can cause a huge range of causes, ranging from dental to neurological.
If you feel that you have a sore throat under the jaw itself, a pain in the muscles of the jaw, if it hurts to open your mouth - this is sufficient reason to contact a specialist, because you can not tolerate such pain.
Despite the fact that self-medication is not an option, you should be aware of what exactly this or that symptom means.
There are a number of signs that can be used to determine why you have a sore throat under the lower jaw or the jaw itself. This will help you to choose the right doctor to which you must apply.
To detect a trauma to the lower jaw, check for bruising and swelling. Also, if you are injured, you will feel pain( strong or not, depending on the type of injury) when you press.
The lower jaw is not that simple.
Pain may be on the right or left, depending on the injury itself. Immediately after the trauma, saliva may have an admixture of blood.
Pain in the lower jaw can cause a dental abscess or, simply speaking, an abscess of the tooth, that is, a buildup of pus in the gum. Such an abscess is characterized by a dense swelling on the mucous membrane of the mouth. When you click on the zone of swelling, a strong sharp pain appears.
Often there is another sign - inflammation of the lymph nodes. Hence - soreness under the jaw. Dental abscess can be caused, for example, by caries.
Infection can also cause acute osteomyelitis. The patient in this case is painful to open his mouth and swallow( as the muscle, usually, significantly swells).Pain when swallowing can focus on the right or left.
Actinomycosis( also infectious disease) affects the right or left angle of the lower jaw. The angle of the jaw is covered with multiple strokes with a characteristic greenish-yellow liquid.
Problems with temporomandibular joint
There can be four such problems: dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint( the chewing muscle is reduced by spasm, the jaw tightly close);Rheumatoid arthritis( swelling and soreness when pressed in the joint region);osteoarthritis( severe puffiness, it is painful for a patient to open his mouth and chew);dislocation of the mandibular joint( the main sign is the inability to close the mouth).
Cyst of the lower jaw
In fact, the jaw cyst is a cavity in the bone filled with liquid. The main problem of such a cyst is that it can be completely asymptomatic for a long time. During inflammation of the cyst, there is a strong soreness in chewing, swelling and redness.
If swelling in the jaw region remains painless for a long time, this may indicate that it was caused by giant cell granuloma, osteogenic sarcoma or Barkitt's lymphoma.
Each of these tumors has its own nuances, for example, with a granuloma, the color of the swelling will be crimson with a bluish tinge, with sarcoma teeth, with time, will begin to loosen up, and lymphoma will very rapidly develop.
Aching pain is a special kind of pain, which, it would seem, does not torment as much as sharp and sharp pain, but at the same time, does not forget about itself, especially at night. Why does the right or left side of the lower jaw ache?
Neuritis of the trigeminal nerve
The triple nerve is the three "processes" that supply the whole of our face with nerve endings, thereby binding it to the central nervous system. Inflammation of the mandibular branch of this nerve causes pain in the lower jaw, lip, lower teeth and sometimes in the neck.
Affected by neuritis of the trigeminal nerve.
Painful attacks with inflammation of the trigeminal nerve really exhaust the patients, because they appear very often and intensify with any movement. Why does this neuritis occur? The reasons for its occurrence are as follows:
- fracture of the lower jaw or base of the skull;
- complications after tooth extraction;
- error in prosthetics or anesthesia;
- injuring the nerve with a foreign body.
In addition to aching pain, the trigeminal neuritis has several more symptoms.
First, the mobility and sensitivity of the jaw is broken( it is difficult to open the mouth, chew, swallow, it creates a feeling that the muscle is numb, an unpleasant feeling of numbness in the neck).Secondly, during the examination, a small swelling of the affected area is found. Thirdly, the skin acquires a cyanotic or marbling color.
Temporomandibular joint syndrome
Why is the temporomandibular joint important to us? The fact is that it performs many functions, for example, thanks to it we can open our mouths and chew. Due to the high load on this joint, one of the following syndromes can arise:
- aching tenderness left or right in the jaw and ear area;
- tension in the lower jaw, a feeling that the muscle is "reduced";
- difficulty( difficulty) during chewing;
- aching pain in the entire facial area;
- various extraneous sounds while jawing( grinding, clicking, etc.);
Soreness under the jaw
Why does it hurt under the jaw - a question that does not have a unique answer. Under the jaw is a huge number of different anatomical formations, whose diseases can give painful echoes to the right or left angle of the lower jaw, throat, neck.
Gum disease can cause pain in the jaw.
And, still, going back to the question, why there is soreness under the jaw, you can list a number of main reasons:
- gum disease and teeth;
- lesion of the facial artery( characterized by burning pain in the lower jaw, descending down to the neck);
- with a jaw fracture pain can also give and under the jaw;
- neuralgia of the glossopharyngeal nerve( a specific disease, begins with the root of the tongue, passes into the ear, and then under the jaw to the neck);
- laryngeal tumor( starts with a sensation of a coma in the throat);
- pharyngitis, tonsillitis, tonsillitis;
- sialolitis - a disease characterized by the fact that the lower jaw swells just to the right or only to the left, the temperature rises and pus appears in the oral cavity;
- sialoadenitis - inflammation of the salivary glands, also accompanied by a rise in temperature, lethargy and soreness in the neck, under the lower jaw;
- glossitis or inflammation of the tongue: the tongue becomes bright red, the throat and neck ache badly;
- glossalgia - hypersensitivity to the tongue, pain can also give under the jaw.glossalgia is usually provoked by a sharp, sour or hot food, a prolonged conversation;
- swelling of the submandibular lymph nodes: chronic pain, temperature, weakness and weight loss;
- other pathologies of the lymph nodes, in which patients have sore throats, there may be soreness in the neck and general malaise.
Why does the jaw hurt on the right and left, the causes of pain in the upper and lower jaw?
There are several main reasons for the appearance of pain in the jaw area:
- Jaw injuries-bruises, dislocations, fractures and other injuries. A person, as a rule, experiences acute pain in the lower or upper jaw. If there is a fracture, there is an obvious displacement of the jaw forward or sideways;
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases, for example, inflammatory processes in the oral cavity and nose( sinusitis, glossitis, gingivitis).The most common is a purulent-inflammatory lesion of the bone - osteomyelitis. The person at the same time feels a sharp pain, the body temperature rises. Another disease affecting the jaw joint is arthrosis. The main symptoms are a crunch and aching pain in the jaw. Only the doctor can make an accurate diagnosis during the examination and after the X-ray or MRI;
- Pathologies of peripheral nerves and vessels also cause pain in the jaw. For example, with neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve, a person experiences pain from the right and left side of the jaw at night, and with the upper laryngeal neuralgia pain occurs under the lower jaw. Treatment of this kind of diseases is done with the help of medications, in extreme cases resort to surgical intervention. If the vessels are affected, arteritis of the facial artery or carotid artery disease may appear;
- Tumor processes such as, osteoid asteoma, osteoblastoklastoma, adamanthinoma. They are characterized by pain in the jaw region at night and an increase in the size of the jaw.
Pain in the jaw near the ear.
If you feel that your jaw hurts and gives into your ear, then the reason lies in the pathology of the temporomandibular joint. It can be arthritis, arthrosis or dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint.
In arthritis, a person feels aching pain in the upper jaw, notices a crunch and an increase in pain when opening the mouth. Also in the mornings stiffness of movements is noted. In order to make an accurate diagnosis and begin treatment, you need to visit the dentist.
Arthritis has the same symptom, but pain can be of varying degrees of intensity, and when the joint moves, a person can feel not only a crunch, but also noise, clicks.
Pain under the lower jaw.
The main cause of such pains is anatomical formations. When they begin to develop, the person feels pain, which gives into the jaw. Typically, the cause of lymphadenitis is a pathology associated with the submandibular lymph nodes. Symptoms of lymphadenitis are pain under the lower jaw, fever, weakness. Against the background of this disease, an abscess or submandibular phlegmon can also develop.
Unpleasant sensations can also be associated with hypersensitivity of the tongue or its inflammatory lesion. Then develop glossagia or glossitis, which are characterized by pain in the lower jaw.
Pain when chewing and opening the jaw.
Pain in the jaw when opening the mouth, usually a sure sign of a dislocation or fracture. If you completely exclude these variants, another cause that causes pain in the jaw during chewing may become infectious inflammation: osteomyelitis.
Other diseases that cause jaw pain when chewing or opening the mouth: periodontitis, pulpal lesions and caries with inflammation of the nerve. Bolts in this case are pulsating and amplified at night.
Pain in the left jaw.
The main causes of the appearance of this type of pain are infarction and angina, the symptoms of which, in particular, are associated with pain in the jaw. Because of these pathologies, the blood flow in the coronary vessels of the heart is disturbed, as a result of pain in the center of the chest and behind the breastbone. But in some cases, there are sharp pains in the lower jaw to the left.
Pain in the right jaw.
Pain in the right side of the jaw occurs due to the development of inflammatory and infectious diseases, as well as tumors. Of course, if you did not get injured. The traumatic nature of pain in the right or left jaw is also manifested by the appearance of a bruise, edema and the inability to open the mouth.
And here in case of occurrence of a heat of a body, the pain in a jaw from the right is caused by presence of a purulent center. As a rule, the cause is poliomyelitis, the consequence of angina or the disease of the submaxillary lymph nodes.
If the pain on the right in the jaw has acquired a chronic character, then this may indicate the presence of neoplasms. The pain in this case is aching.
How to treat pain in the jaw joint.
We do not recommend you to get rid of the pain in the jaw, as the cause of such unpleasant sensations is much more dangerous than you might think. Even the treatment of a jaw injury, which seems to you not too serious, requires the elimination of more serious injuries, such as a dislocation or fracture.
Therefore, to determine the exact factors that caused the pain, you need to contact a surgeon or traumatologist. They will conduct the necessary examination and, if necessary, send you to a consultation with other doctors.
Treatment of pain in the jaw to the right and left implies home use of medicines, physiotherapy and surgical intervention if necessary.