Why the knee swells and hurts when bending
Many people suffer from pain in their knees from time to time. This is not surprising, because every day we put our knees under great strain.
The biggest risk group in this issue are athletes.
But the trauma can also arise in the case of an ordinary person engaged in active rest when performing work related to physical efforts.
The knee is the largest and most functionally complex joint in our body. Although the knee joint is large in size, it is a fairly vulnerable place in terms of its structure. To understand why, briefly describe the anatomy of the knee.
Anatomical brief course
Anatomy under the notion of the knee means the knee joint. The knee joint is indeed the main part of the knee.
But in the formation of the knee, as part of the leg, the muscles of the thigh and lower leg, mainly their tendons, also take part.
In the formation of the knee joint involved condyles of the femur, the upper articular surface of the tibia and the patella. To soften the tremors during movements, two meniscus contribute: medial and lateral.
Basically, the movement when the leg is bent and unbent at the knee joint occurs between the condyles of the femur and the meniscus. The knee joint also strengthens a number of ligaments.
About what pain in the knee
Usually knee pain during flexion and extension is associated with damage to one of its components.
In case of severe knee injury, swelling and local temperature increase may occur.
The knee often hurts, including flexion, after an injury.
Injury may be caused by a severe knee injury, a blow against a hard object or a fall. When a trauma occurs immediately manifestations of pain, there is a bruise and swelling.
Because of the swelling, nerve endings are squeezed, which leads to a feeling of numbness or a feeling of tingling in the knee or shin.Severe pain in the knee is typical for injuries to ligaments and tendons of the knee joint, meniscus injuries, fractures, knee dislocations and patella.
If the pain manifests when flexing
Among the reasons why the knee is very sore while bending, the following can be distinguished:
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a systemic autoimmune disease of connective tissue, which is characterized by joint damage and the further development of destructive changes in them. In the initial stages, pain in the knee occurs only during movement or flexion, but in the future, pain disturbs the person and at rest. In the joint area there is swelling and redness. For rheumatoid arthritis is characterized by morning stiffness, lasting at least an hour.
- Gouty arthritis occurs due to the deposition of uric acid salts in articular and periarticular tissues. It is characterized by acute, unbearable pain in the knee joint, which is strengthened with the slightest movements or attempts to change the position.
- Osteoarthritis of the knee ( gonarthrosis) is a chronic progressive destructive disease of the knee joint, arising from various causes. Gonarthrosis is characterized by pains of a mechanical nature, disturbing at first only when the joint is loaded. When performing flexion, the pain may extend to the shin and thigh. Palpation is determined by soreness of the joint, its compaction and restriction in movement. In later stages, joint deformity occurs, its increase in volume, joint joint narrowing. If you do not make timely treatment, a person faces disability.
- Tendonitis is an inflammatory process of the knee ligament apparatus. The most common among athletes. The main symptom is the pain that occurs in the anterior region of the knee and only with physical exertion.
- Bursitis is an inflammatory process of the periarticular bag. Most often bursitis develops on the background of injuries, frequent mechanical damage to the joint and infections. Pain occurs when performing active activities involving the knee joint. The joint blushes, becomes swollen and sometimes significantly increases in volume.
- Osgood-Schlatter disease is an osteochondropathy of tuberosity of the tibia. It occurs usually in adolescence in males actively engaged in running sports. The disease is characterized by intense pain in the knee and lower leg when flexing in the knee joint. Usually, in a state of rest, pain does not arise.
Sometimes pain in the knee joint may occur due to sciatica nerve inflammation or when the subcutaneous nerve branches are infringed, for example, when wearing high, narrow boots.
The cause of pain in flexion can be dissecting osteochondritis - a disease in which the bone region becomes dead and its rejection into the joint space.
This disease is characterized by pains of a constant, noisy nature localized on the anterior or anteroposterior surface of the knee joint.
The following acute injuries also can cause pain:
- meniscus injury;
- rupture of ligaments and tendons;
- tibial tear ligament;
- fracture of the upper portion of the lower leg, lower femur, patella;
- patellar dislocation;
- knee dislocation.
One of the frequent causes of knee pain in young people is the chondromalation of the patella. Details of treatment and prevention should be known to every athlete and not only.
What kinds of pains exist
There are several different types of pain in the knee joint:
- Sudden pain is typical for fresh injuries, joint block with meniscus lesions, and also for the introduction of bone elements into soft tissues.
- Aching occurs in the case of chronic joint processes: inflammation, the initial stages of arthrosis, or vascular disorders.
- Shooting is typical for inflammatory processes involving nerve endings.
- Strong happens in case of infringement of a nerve, the block at breaks of a meniscus and other sharp traumas.
- The constant is characteristic for spasms of nearby muscles, capsule fibrosis, reactive synovitis and neuropathies.
- Pulsating occurs during the acute inflammatory processes of soft tissue, for the initial stages of rheumatoid arthritis and vascular disorders.
- Cutting indicates a break in the meniscus and the junction block, or on the pinching of the nerve.
- Drawing is characteristic for various stages of development of the majority of pathologies.
- Pain below the knee occurs during injuries to menisci, tendons and ligaments, fractures of the patella and periosteal detachment.
- Pain above the knee indicates coxarthrosis, back problems and vascular disorders.
- The spreading pain is characteristic of rheumatoid arthritis.
Diagnostic methodsThe most common diagnostic method is radiography .It is usually carried out in two projections: direct and lateral.
Usually, a one-shot direct snapshot of both knee joints is made for comparison. In the lateral projection, the function of the joint can be evaluated, with the maximum extension being the ratio of the hip and shank axis.
Often, doctors perform diagnostic puncture of the joint, the resulting joint fluid is sent to a laboratory study.
Also, to specify the diagnosis, such instrumental methods of investigation are prescribed:
- magnetic resonance imaging;
- radionuclide diagnostics;
First aidIn case of pain in the knee, ice should be applied to the joint. The compress should not last longer than 20 minutes.
You can try to remove the pain syndrome with medicines such as aspirin, acetaminophen, naproxen, dexalgin.
For chronic pains, you can wear special orthopedic insoles, helping to redistribute your weight. But still, it is better to see a doctor for the diagnosis of the disease in the early stages.
What treatment is prescribed by
A mandatory component of the treatment, if the knee is badly sore while flexing, is reducing the load on the joint.
During periods of exacerbation, patients are shown a strict bed rest. Shoes should be worn soft and comfortable.
The goals of conservative treatment are:
- improvement of the overall functional activity of the affected leg;
- pain reduction;
- slowing down the progression process.
Conservative treatment includes the use of anti-inflammatory drugs, chondroprotectors, providing restoration of elasticity of cartilage tissue and its mechanical integrity, local treatment.
Local treatment is carried out by applying gels, ointments, aerosols and compresses.Conservative treatment is effective only in the early stages of the disease. When untimely diagnosis is necessary to resort to surgical intervention.
The arthroscopic operation is most often performed. In advanced cases, joint replacement is performed.
If you do not treat ailments for a long time, permanent unbearable pain can occur, as a result, a significant deterioration in the quality of life, disability and disability.
In order not to bring yourself to this state and surgical treatment, it is necessary to contact a qualified specialist in a timely manner.
Quickly remove pain in the knee when flexing
Articular pain is one of the most common reasons for going to the doctor. According to statistics, every second person ever experienced pain in the knee.
The most frequent causes of pain in the knee during flexion are overloads, injuries and diseases. And if the injuries are more or less clear, then with the diseases that show themselves pain in the joints everything is much more complicated. The list of inconvenient diseases is very large.
What diseases can the pain show?
Why do knees ache when flexing? The most common diseases of the joints, accompanied by acute, blunt, shooting, burning or paroxysmal pain are arthritis and gout.
Arthritis: has very severe pain, which is aggravated by movement, accompanied by redness, swelling and inflammation of the knee, and local and general temperature increase. The basis of arthritis is an inflammatory process that can last for years and lead to disability.
When gout: , the pain is paroxysmal. Strengthens when bending. Seizures often recur, lasting from several minutes to several days.
Other conditions not related to overloads or injuries that can cause pain in the knee when flexing are:
- Osteoarthritis. Characterized by pain, which intensifies in the morning.
- Osgood-Spatter disease. It is often observed in children of senior school age. Characterized by pain during flexion and swelling of the anterior part of the knee.
- Cyst Baker. Disease, a characteristic feature of which is pain and swelling at the back of the knee.
- Infection. Pain of the knee joints may indicate infection of the skin, bone or joint.
- Dissecting osteochondritis. The pain is caused by the death of a part of the cartilage, due to a violation of the blood supply, etc. The pain is extremely strong when flexed.
Sprain of the ligaments of the knee joint also causes a strong pain symptom.
About why knees crunch joints and how to cure it, read this article.
How to treat a diseased knee
The medical treatment of pain in the knee is aimed primarily at eliminating the cause of the disease. Folk remedies - to remove the main symptoms of the disease. As a rule, the doctor appoints a whole complex of measures after the survey. A standard examination at the hospital includes a detailed interview with the patient( history) and certain studies: examination, ultrasound, x-ray of the knee, computed tomography, MRI.
The safest forms of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are ointments, creams and gels. They should be applied according to the doctor's instructions, strictly according to the instructions.
- Ointments and Gels
Ointments containing diclofenac sodium. For example, drugs Orthofen, Voltaren and others. They are used to relieve inflammation. The ointment is applied a thin layer on the damaged area once a day. Duration of use is 2-3 days or more, as prescribed by the doctor.
Ointments, which contain ketoprofen. For example, such popular drugs as Bystrum-gel or Fastum gel. Ointment is applied a thin layer on the damaged area 2-3 times a day.
Gels based on nimesulide. For example, Naise gel. It is applied 2-3 times a day no longer than 10 days.
Other popular anti-inflammatory drugs: indomethacin, ointment Butadion 5% and apizartron.
Effective are creams aimed at removing edema and reducing pain in the knee when flexing. For example:
Creams based on ibuprofen in combination with other excipients. For example, the cream of Dolgit. It is applied externally. Applied 3-4 times a day for 3 - 5 weeks.
Dietary nutrition to reduce pain
To reduce the discomfort associated with knee pain when flexing, a balanced diet helps. The menu may differ, depending on which disease is causing the pain, but there are general recommendations.
For pain in the knee, it is recommended to include in the diet such products as:
Omega-3 fatty acids, which are rich in various types of fish( salmon, mackerel, cod, tuna, etc.) are a natural anti-inflammatory and, accordingly, help relieve pain caused by various joint diseases. There are no side effects.
For degenerative diseases of the knee joint, you should include in your diet greens: spinach, green onions, parsley, etc. According to research conducted by Australian scientists, eating greens helps relieve pain and other symptoms of arthritis. This is due to the fact that the greens contain a large amount of lutein, zeaxanthin and quercetin, and has a strong anti-inflammatory effect.
Some spices also have anti-inflammatory effect. For example, curry or curcumin. Spices inhibit the enzymes that cause inflammation and swelling and relieve pain.
In rheumatoid arthritis, a diet consisting of vegetable and fruit juices: orange, tomato, carrot, celery or cabbage helps. The duration of such a diet is three weeks, the scheme is as follows: the first week - one "hungry" day, the second week - two days and the third - three days.
Traditional medicine for pain
To remove pain in the knee, help with medicinal lotions and poultices, as well as other folk remedies:
- Lotions, popular recipes:
At night, a mixture of fermented baked milk and bread is applied to the sore spot( proportions: 0.5 cups ryazhenka, 0.5 cups breadand 0.5 spoon). It removes the pain from the burdock leaf( cabbage leaf).It must be moistened in cold water and, with a fluffy side, attached to the inflamed knee.
- Poultices have also proven themselves well:
During the month, before going to bed, you can soar your aching leg in a sage broth( proportions: 100g sage for 6 liters of water).Duration of the procedure: 30 minutes - 1 hour.
A good therapeutic effect also gives a decoction of chamomile with salt( proportions: 200 g of flowers per 10 liters of water).Poultices do once a day. Duration of the procedure: 1 - 1.5 hours
For pain in the knee, alcoholic tincture is very popular( proportions: 200 g of chopped root per 500 ml of alcohol).The mixture must be insisted for two weeks. Then use daily: rub with light massage movements for five minutes. In this case, the therapeutic effect is exerted both by the components of the infusion, and by the massage itself.
Operative treatment in especially severe cases
A modern method of treatment of joint pathology is arthroscopy. It is advisable in those cases when drug treatment and physiotherapy did not produce a significant result.
During arthroscopy the surgeon makes a small incision and with the help of an arthroscope performs a surgical procedure: removal of the damaged meniscus, vaporization and further. These are the main measures to combat pain in the knee, observed when flexing.
In addition to the basic treatment, exercise therapy helps to strengthen the muscles, return the deformed joint to its normal position, restore its functions. This can be gymnastics, walking, exercises in the water, exercises aimed at developing the joint, etc. At home, to achieve the effect, it is enough just to lift up your straightened legs.
If the knee is swollen
At home, relieve swelling and relieve pain in the knee will help painkillers and anti-inflammatory medications. Good aspirin and ibuprofen( less than aspirin, damages the stomach).It will help alleviate the pain, but will not relieve the inflammation of paracetamol.
These drugs may have a negative effect on the intestinal microflora and cause stomach pain. Therefore, it is recommended to take them against the background of drugs that reduce the acidity of the stomach, only after preliminary eating.
In addition to taking medication, if the knee is swollen, it is also necessary: to restrict movement, apply a cold compress and apply a bandage. How to properly apply a bandage, shown in the video.
How to Relieve an Acute Pain in the Knee
At the first bouts of pain when bending the knee, you must take painkillers( analgin, ibuprofen) and use a cold pack of ice for 20 minutes.
Glucocorticosteroids also help to remove acute pain in the knee, which are injected intra-articularly. Sufficiently effective may be various non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( creams and ointments).
If the "home" funds did not have an effect within 2-3 days, you should consult a general practitioner! The general practitioner will inspect and, if necessary, redirect you to another specialist.
Knee swollen and sore: what to do, treatment, reasons, folk remedies
The reasons for which the knee is swollen and sore can be, a lot. However, whatever the reasons for discomfort in the knee joint, the main question arises - what to do? Swollen knees are a serious reason to think about your own health.
As a matter of fact, a tumor in the region of the knee is a symptom of the pathology of the musculoskeletal system. Most often its cause are: trauma, gout, bursitis, osteoporosis and other diseases.
The knee joint on all sides is covered with an articular bag that has an outer and an inner shell.
On the outer shells of the joint bag are pouches with mucus. The human body is arranged in such a way that all the moving parts of the skeleton continuously rub against each other. And these bags with slime just do help to reduce friction and facilitate movement. It can be said that a slimy bag is a kind of shock absorber with a liquid, located between surfaces rubbing between each other. Thanks to the bags, the process of friction is painless and without damage.
Knees can swell differently. Sometimes the tumor is almost invisible, and in some cases it reaches enormous proportions, rising above the knee level by 7-8 cm.
The most common causes of edema of the knee
Most often, the knee swells and hurts due to the following reasons:
- tendonitis( inflammatory process intendons).Tendons are thick fibers of connective tissue. With the help of these fibers, the muscles are attached to the bones. When the tendons are injured or inflamed, the knee begins to ache and swell;
- knee ligament injury. In the knee area, severe swelling and severe pain can occur due to stretching or rupturing of ligaments;
- knee injury, usually accompanied by redness, swelling and pain during movements;
- osteoporosis of the knee is accompanied by different degrees of pain and swelling;
- displacement of the patella is very often accompanied by discomfort and swelling;
- septic arthritis is manifested by sharp pains, redness and even febrile condition;
- rheumatoid arthritis manifests itself as a swollen knee and aching pain;
- bursitis or inflammation of the joint bag. This disease manifests itself with pronounced edema and severe pain when trying to bend a painful leg in the knee;
- gout. If the cause of the tumor lies in this disease, the knee can periodically swell and hurt for several days, and then, suddenly subside, and so on until the next time.
Treatment of edema and pain in the knee
In case you have damaged your knee or it suddenly became very sick and swollen, you can try to help yourself with some types of first aid:
- it is necessary for the patient to rest;
- is permissible to apply cold edema from the ice to the site of edema, but no more than for 20 minutes;
- well relieves pain and knee swelling alcoholic tincture from the flowers of horse chestnut, which is prepared from the calculation: 50 dry flowers per 500 ml of vodka. The mixture is insisted in a glass bowl, 2 weeks in a dark place;
- is useful to do on a sore spot iodine grid.
Often, with knee injuries, athletes and people who lead an active lifestyle face. The sensations arising in the damaged joint are unpleasant, often it is necessary to get out of the schedule of trainings. Which is especially unpleasant. However, one of the most important rules for knee injuries is not to stop moving. Even in cases where the knee area has been subjected to surgical intervention, it is necessary to engage in active rehabilitation of the affected joint.
Begins recovery after illness with the most minimal loads and simple and short physical exercises. After all, the initial task is to try to return the injured muscles as soon as possible back to the system. Forcing the muscles to work, you can regain mobility of the joint and the ability to fully move.
During the examination of the problem knee joint, the doctor may consider it necessary to appoint an MRI or CT scan( computerized tomography), as well as an X-ray. If a specialist has a suspicion of having an infection - then you will have to donate blood for analysis. In some cases, it is possible to take a joint puncture. Naturally, the treatment depends entirely on the diagnosis established by the doctor.
Of course, no one can protect himself from the possibility of getting a knee injury. However, there is a category of people who, for various reasons, are at risk:
- are those who are obese. People who are overweight are more likely to suffer from pain in the knee area, since it is the feet that account for the bulk of the body weight;
- are those who constantly face high physical loads;
- women who are over 40;
- people who, by virtue of their activities or for other reasons, lead a sedentary lifestyle. These people have a serious lack of muscle flexibility;
- people with some anatomical features, for example, with flat feet.
If at least one of the above risk factors is relevant to you, try to take it as a rule never to overload your own knees.
Those who are overweight should think about the correction of nutrition and lifestyle.
If there is a sudden domestic or sports injury of the knee joint area, and pain has been added to the pain, you should take an anesthetic, for example: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol. Try to use the cane while walking.
Thus, you can avoid deterioration of the joint. In no case do not neglect your state of health and try to visit a specialist as soon as possible. And until then, put a fixing bandage on the aching joint and provide him with maximum peace.
Only after the installation of an accurate diagnosis can begin comprehensive treatment, exercise and gymnastics.
Folk remedies for knee pain
Folk medicine knows about everything and will support everyone who comes to her for help. So, and treatment of various diseases of the knee joint is not alien to folk remedies and "grandmother's" recipes.
For the removal of edema and pain, warm baths are shown from the herb of saber, eucalyptus, mint, fir;
If the treating physician is not prohibited, it is useful to knead the knee in a circular motion using such creams as "Troxevasin", "Sofya", etc.;
It is necessary to take in equal quantities the flowers of horse chestnut, leaves of plantain, and white cabbage. All this is triturated to a homogeneous mass and superimposed on the diseased knee as a compress( under the film) for 4-6 hours.
The patient's internal condition is very important. Of course, a large knee and restrictions in movement can make anyone, but constant irritation can become a significant barrier to recovery. Therefore, try to tune in to a positive mood. Relaxation and auto-training are considered useful for the patient. Avoid unpleasant communication and stressful situations.
Physical exercises are necessary for the patient's joint to regain its former mobility. However, before proceeding to the exercises, it is necessary to obtain the permission of the attending physician. So, if there are no contraindications, you should start to do a daily stretching of the sick leg, gradually increasing the load on it.
Lying on your back, on the floor, try to pull forward your aching leg, stretching your toes, count to 5. Then, relax and let your foot rest.
Lying on your back, on a hard surface, raise your foot with a sick joint above the floor level by 15 cm, try to make a stop motion "semicircle" in one and the other side. If this is easy for you, you can make several such movements, if not, then, for starters, one or two is enough.
Sitting on a chair, lean your back on the back of the piece of furniture and with your hands, spread your knees to the side, then bring them together. You need to do this slowly.
The basic principles and rules for the prevention of knee diseases, as mentioned above, is the wise distribution of physical and sports load. It is very important to monitor your own weight.
Try to avoid such popular, but very harmful modern food, like chips, mayonnaise, sweet fizzy drinks, energy. Maximum exclude from your diet animal fats, sweet pastries, salty and very spicy dishes. Try daily to eat sour-milk products, poultry, sea fish, various seafood, vegetables, greens and fruits.
Pay attention to the shoes that you wear. As a rule, knee diseases are most often observed in women. One of the explanations for this is wearing shoes with heels. Therefore, it makes sense to abandon elegant shoes with stilettos in favor of shoes on a more comfortable sole if, for example, you plan to go to the store or park for a walk.
Daily gymnastics is very important. In extreme cases, take yourself for a walk at least to the store and back. Remember that the scourge of modern man - lack of mobility. And it is she who deprives many people of the ability to function fully.Find orthopedist and make an appointment
Knee swelling, hurts when bending |Forum Woman.ru
Knee swelling, hurts when bending
Knee swelling, hurts when bending
Knee swelling, hurts when bending
Knee swelling, hurts when bending
Knee swelling, hurts when bending
I'm 26 years old. A week ago I went to friends with an overnight stay, the room was cold, I had to sleep in clothes. I was wearing tight jeans. She slept on her side, bending her legs, woke up several times, felt uncomfortable, aching joints. I did not pay much attention then. When I rode back in the morning, I first felt a slight pain when walking in the knee, and at night it was impossible to walk at all, especially to go down and climb the stairs, each step was accompanied by a painful system. Has addressed to the traumatologist. He prescribed vinegar compresses, electrophoresis and painkillers. I did everything as prescribed, but there are almost no improvements, the pain is certainly not as strong as it was in the beginning, but it still exists, especially when you go down and rise, when walking is not so noticeable, nothing hurts at rest. But the knee was swollen, and this swelling is particularly noticeable when the leg is straightened and the muscles are tense. Today is the last day of procedures, there is already a burn from the vinegar on the leg, and there is almost no progress. Maybe someone like that. What do we have to do?and what can it be? The traumatologist did not tell me what it was.
go to another doctor, Diane.but if you have problems with blood vessels? What compresses?stop already nonsense to do
I always have such garbage. Chondroprotectors accept. I carry the holder. When the pain is strong, pain.
How did the doctor prescribe the treatment without having made either an x-ray or an uzi? ??we must first identify the nature of the disease - arthritis, arthrosis, and maybe just a long-lasting bruise. Go to the normal doctor. Electrophoresis is useful in any case.
Diane, try the gel Dip Relif. He anesthetizes and swings off. I use it for any injuries, it usually helps. But go to another doctor. Listen to his point of view that this can be.
Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, but this is a completely different story, and compresses here will not help.
Vozmozno u vas sinovit. V kolennom sustave sobiraetsja zidkostj pri vospalenii. U menja tak bilo neskoljko raz. No u menja artrit. Zidkostj mne vibirali spricem. No lucse tak ne delatj, nebezopasnaja procedura. S takim kolenom, kak vi opisali, ja xodila po polgoda. Kogda kuda-to idete, lucse boljnoe koleno obmotatj elasticnim bintom, tak ctobi vam bilo udobno xoditj. Tak pri xodjbe ne ocenj boljno i vam, i kolenu. No ot etogo mozet opuxatj golenj i bitj diskomfort v goleni( esli problema s sosudami).Vam nuzno sdelatj magnitnij rezonans kolena. Budet vidno, vospaleni li u vas meniski. Zidkostj mozet sobiratjsja pri artrite ili usibe.
I did not understand one thing, where did the bite come from? And in narrow jeans with knees bent the night can not be missed, do not have to la. The layout of some
Author, you to the rheumatologist! In the meantime, buy an ointment / gel with an anti-inflammatory active ingredient-diclofenac, for example.
Pain in the knees when flexing: why hurt and how to treat
Among the consequences of such injuries are not only prolonged pains in the knees when flexing, but also the appearance of swelling and bruising, joint pain even in the absence of movement. In the knee, the sensation of tingling or cold, numbness is also spreading.A very common cause of knee pain when flexing is increased stress on the knee joint or injury.
Adolescents often have such phenomena after sports - such pathology of the knee joint was called "Osgood Schlatter's disease."With this disease, the patient has pain while descending the stairs, which are especially strengthened when the leg is bent in the knee. This condition can last about a month and in most cases ends in recovery, but sometimes it turns into a chronic form. Disturbing back pain? Familiarize yourself with an effective remedy - Blockade - an injection from a pain in the back.
This is a record of why the back hurts during pregnancy in the early stages.
Symptoms of foot joint diseases!http://spina-systavi.com /diagnostika/prichiny/ bolezni-sustavov-nog-prichiny-vozniknoveniya-i-metody-lecheniya.html
A frequent cause of pain in the knee becomes tendinitis - inflammation or irritation of one or more tendons that support the knee joints. In most cases, tendonitis results from too much activity when running or walking.
To this disease athletes are more likely than people with low or moderate physical activity. Bicyclists, runners and skiers are at high risk of tendonitis, as their joints and ligaments are in constant tension. Such people can experience pain even with simple bending of the leg, without significant load on the knee.
The appearance of discomfort and a crunch in the knee joint can signal the onset of the development of arthrosis. Unfortunately, these symptoms are not given much importance in most cases. In the beginning, the pains appear when squatting or walking, and after a warm-up they disappear. But over time, the pain becomes permanent, and a person loses the opportunity to walk normally.
Also cause pain when flexing the leg in the knee inflammation of the articular bags - bursitis. With this disease, the joints swell and become painful, their mobility decreases.
The knee can also hurt with flexion due to the pathology of the patella cartilage. In this case, the pain becomes aching with prolonged sitting.
The most common cause of pain in the knee joints is rheumatoid arthritis. With the development of this disease, pain occurs during flexion of the leg in the knee, swelling, fever, a rise in skin temperature above the knee.
With Baker's cyst, liquid accumulates under the knee, which causes severe pain in a person. This disease can be caused by rupture of the meniscus or capsule, cartilage damage, hernia of the knee joint. The thrombus that forms during this process can be dangerous and requires immediate medical intervention.
Since the range of possible causes of knee pain is very wide, it is necessary to determine the exact cause. Often important to determine the diagnosis are conducting a full examination of the patient and studying his medical history.In addition to physical examination, the physician should ask the patient a whole list of questions relating to his athletic and active daily life, and also to ask whether the knees were injured earlier, etc. During the examination, the doctor should check the functionality of the knee, its sensitivity and range of motion, to determine the presence of infections or tumors.
In short, to check the integrity of tissues in the knee, the doctor must perform a lot of different maneuvers. However, not all of the tests performed are always accurate, especially when the knee mobility is limited due to swelling or swelling of the muscles from the back of the knee. In such situations it is recommended to resort to the procedure of magnetic resonance, which, unlike the X-ray, exerts minimal impact on the body, practically without irradiating it.
Regardless of what causes pain in the legs when flexing in the knees, you must, first of all, observe the orthopedic regime, reducing the load on the joints. As a rule, in the acute period, the patient is assigned a bed rest and gradual activation of the limb, and during the movement - the use of crutches. The footwear of the patient should be comfortable and soft, orthopedic insoles can significantly improve the situation.
Concerned about persistent pain in the knee? Read the news - treatment of arthrosis of the ankle joint.
Here you will read about how to treat folk remedies arthrosis of the hip joint.
Symptoms of foot arthrosis!http://spina-systavi.com /bolezni/sustavov/artroz/ artroz-stopy-prichiny-vozniknoveniya-i-sposoby-lecheniya.html
Conservative treatment is aimed at such tasks:
- decrease in the severity of the symptoms of the disease;
- improvement of limb functional activity;
- slowing the progression of the disease.
After conducting a comprehensive diagnosis, the doctor puts the patient on a diagnosis and prescribes complex treatment for him. As a rule, first of all, non-steroidal pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs are used. If the pains are too strong, the patient is directly injected with steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Due to this, painful manifestations are stopped for a long time, and the patient's ability to work remains. In addition, chondroprotectors, as well as artificial replacements of articular fluid, can be inserted into the joint.
Good results allow receiving local treatment in the form of gels, ointments, compresses and aerosols. These drugs supplement systemically prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The positive side of them is the impact directly on the lesion and the absence of side effects.
Treatment of any pathology of the knee joint can be effective only if it is diagnosed at an early stage. Together with drug treatment, the patient is prescribed physiotherapy and physical therapy.
If the disease is triggered to such an extent that the traditional methods of treatment do not give results, one must resort to the intervention of the surgeon.
The most common operation today is arthroscopy. This technique makes it possible to clarify the diagnosis and remove the altered synovial membrane, damaged meniscus, cartilaginous free bodies, carry out cartilage transplantation, administer medications, rinse the joint cavity. The great advantage of arthroscopy is that it delivers much less inconvenience than a full-fledged operation, and a full recovery takes place in just two weeks.
Another operation, which is often used often, is the replacement of some of the components of the knee. In the event that the knee is severely damaged by arthritis, and the state of the cartilage worsens all the time, doctors recommend partially replacing some of the components of the knee.
During this procedure, the doctor removes only the most damaged part of the knee, replacing it with a prosthesis made of plastic and metal. This operation requires only one small incision.The hospital stay is only 24 hours. The knee after this operation heals quickly enough.
Unfortunately, if the damage is extensive, such an operation is not enough and we have to do a complete knee replacement. During this operation, the doctor cuts the damaged cartilage from the tibia, femur and patella, replacing them with artificial prostheses of high-grade plastics, metal alloys and polymers.
- Yana I have since childhood sharp clicks in the knee, accompanied by wild pain. Especially after physical education, which included squats. I was afraid that something would break in there. But how it all began, just as time passed. Now, after pregnancy, knees begin to worry, after long walks and activities on the playground, there are suspicions of arthrosis. I watched videos with medical prophylaxis, I will seek time and do my health.
- Valentina Korchagina Hello! With age, I began to have pain in my knees, in my youth, too, there were sometimes pains after trauma, but somehow I did not pay much attention to it. And now I very much regret that I did not turn to specialists in time. I really liked this article, I will take some notes from the video clips. I was offered to have an operation, but something I do not really want to lay down on the operating table, and the age is not the same, the body is already retired, I'm afraid it will be a long time to heal. I will try to do yoga or some other useful method.
- Elya Romanova I will definitely show my husband this article. He has long problems with the knee. He wears a bandage, but does not help much. The fact is that from his knee calcium is washed out, because of what it has weak. When squatting repeatedly feels pain. The load on his joints is great, this work. But we will try to take into account all your advice, I hope they will help us. Thank you for the article. Also read the article about the joints on your site, very useful information.