Unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine: symptoms and treatment
Deforming or unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine is a lesion of the joints of the spine and intervertebral discs, in which there are bony outgrowths on the cervical vertebrae. From Latin, unco-vertebral means: the formation is like a hook + vertebra.
Many of us who feel pain and an unpleasant crunch when turning the head, can have this pathology. Let's see how dangerous it is and whether it can be treated.
Causes of unco-vertebral arthrosis
The causes that cause the disease can be conditionally divided into congenital and acquired. Congenital pathologies include anomalies in the development of cervical vertebrae. Among the acquired causes, the most common injuries are the cervical spine and the effects of flat feet.
A sedentary lifestyle and overweight can provoke a disease. And this affects most urban residents. But the rest of the population may be at risk, because weight lifting and unregulated physical activity can also cause disease.
What changes occur in the affected spine? In unco-vertebral arthrosis, the intervertebral disc is affected. Its cartilaginous tissue plays the role of a cushioning "padding" between the vertebrae. It protects the intervertebral nerves and vessels from damage. During the illness the cartilaginous disc loses its fluid, becomes thin and less elastic. As a result, he can not perform his functions to the fullest, bulges out and squeezes nearby tissues, causing painful symptoms.
In addition, on the cervical vertebrae begin to appear osteophytes - acute spines from bone tissue. They grow towards each other and injure sensitive ligaments of the spine.
Symptoms and signs of
The main symptoms of development of arthrosis of unco-vertebral joints * are:
* Uncovertebral joints are joints( neoarthroses) forming between the hook-shaped processes of the cervical vertebrae and the base of the arch and / or the body of the overlying vertebra. Normally do not exist, are formed as a result of a decrease in the height of intervertebral discs.
- Severe pain in the area of the affected vertebra that is provoked by abrupt movements
- Subluxation of joints between arcuate processes that serve to connect two adjacent vertebrae
- Soreness that increases with prolonged exposure in one posture
- Severe crunch when turning the neck
- Blood pressure changes
If you have these symptoms, you need an urgent examination with a neurologist or orthopedic vertebrologist. In the initial stages, this disease can be overcome. In later stages, treatment can only bring temporary relief.
Treatment of unco-vertebral arthrosis is carried out on an outpatient basis and is directed to the removal of pain and muscle spasm. When the disease worsens, the use of an orthopedic collar is necessary. It will help reduce the burden on the cervical vertebrae.
Medical treatment methods
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain relief and inflammation( diclofenac, nimesulide)
Muscle relaxants for the removal of muscular tension( sirdalud)
To improve blood circulation and microcirculation in affected areas, the use of actovegin, curantyl
Chondroprotectors - drugs supplying cartilage cells with necessary substancesto restore them. These medicines allow you to suspend the course of the disease and slow the destruction of intervertebral discs.
The treatment regimen and dosage of medications are prescribed individually after careful examination of the patient.
Physiotherapy has a good analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect, helps to eliminate unpleasant symptoms. The following 3 methods are the most effective and will really help to overcome uncoovertebral arthrosis:
- magnetotherapy - relieves pain, inflammation and swelling in the affected area with a magnetic field
- sinusoidal modulated currents( amplipulse therapy) - the device "Amplipulse", which helps to get rid of pain by modulating currents of different direction and frequency
- phonophoresis with a solution of novocaine orlidocaine - administering an anesthetic to a patient site using ultrasound
Massages are a very effective method. In combination with curative gymnastics and acupuncture, the health effect improves significantly. However, it must be remembered that the course is conducted during remission( without exacerbation of symptoms) - when there are no severe pains.
Absolute contraindication to the massage is the loss of the herniated intervertebral disc. This disease can be a complication of spinal arthrosis. Therefore, before proceeding to treatment, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
Remember that a timely visit to the doctor will help you maintain your health. Only an experienced specialist can choose a complex treatment that will help to eliminate all unpleasant symptoms and will lead a full life.
Symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and gymnastics for arthrosis of the cervical spine
Neck pain can speak of a serious disease, whose name is arthrosis of the cervical spine, the symptoms of the disease at the initial stage of development, are mostly inconspicuous. Often they are compared with fatigue syndrome.
However, if you do not treat arthrosis of the spine, this can lead to disruption in the operation of the upper and lower extremities and limiting the mobility of the head. The cervical spine consists of 7 vertebrae forming a connection between the skull and the thorax. So, what are the causes of degeneration of the spine, how to recognize and prevent them?
Osteoarthritis of the cervical spine - causes of
Causes of arthrosis of the cervical spine can be quite prosaic - too high a pillow for sleeping, overload or daily neck injuries. Also, this is a disease that is often accompanied by a violation of posture( scoliosis, flat feet).
The main factor in the onset of degenerative changes in the cervical spine are:
- inappropriate static( at rest) and dynamic loads( associated with movement) that result from improper adjustment of the entire spine( incorrect posture);
- incorrect position during extended sitting;
- the wrong height of the pillow on which you rest at night( if it is too high, it adversely affects the cervical section);
- presence of other diseases of the musculoskeletal system during the period of growth: scoliosis( i.e., lateral curvature of the spine) and flat feet;
- long static loads: for example, office work in front of the computer;
- professional sports( jumping, running);
- is a negative influence of past injuries, numerous micro-traumas that can cause illness( seat belts do not provide cervical protection during road accidents);
- disorders of the hormonal background and metabolism.
Symptoms of the pathology
The most common symptoms of dysfunction of the cervical spine:
- pain in the neck with the transition to the extremities( most often, due to pressure on the nerve roots C5-C6 or C6-C7);
- pain in the neck area from the back to the forehead;
- sensitivity disorders in the limbs - sometimes paralysis of the muscles of the upper limbs;
- paroxysmal headaches, dizziness, balance disorder, tinnitus, nystagmus,( pressure in the arteries of the spine and changes in blood supply to the brain) are frequent symptoms, both in the morning and in the evening;
- Neuralgia and muscle tics;
- visual impairment, motion blur, scotoma before the eyes, tremor of the eyeballs;
- sometimes swallowing disorders( the manifestation of a symptom is associated with oppression of esophagus structures or innervation disfunction);
- disorders in the work of the heart( this symptom is manifested when the artery is squeezed in the neck).
Treatment and rehabilitation of patients
To date, vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine is treatable with pharmacotherapy: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with analgesic action. Treatment with muscle relaxants is carried out only in justified cases, at the stage of exacerbation and in small doses( drugs that relax the muscles).Rehabilitation is used - this is the second component of treatment, however, the basis is conservative therapy.
If initially the patient experiences only discomfort in the cervical spine, it is necessary to do a therapeutic massage, relaxing excessively strained muscles. Useful is also gymnastics, relaxing cervical vertebrae and shoulder girdle, providing a massage effect and preventing the occurrence of repeated tension.
The longer the development of changes in the cervical spine, the harder it becomes to cure the ailments. However, the corresponding impact and rehabilitation can significantly reduce them.
The most commonly used procedures for neck arthrosis include:
- neck, neck, shoulders and shoulder area - eliminates excessive muscle tension;
- exercises, relaxing the muscles of the neck and shoulder girdle;
- strengthening exercises aimed at the work of a group of muscles of the neck and shoulders.
Physiotherapy treatment for cervical vertebral degeneration includes:
- Warming the infrared lamp with solux - you can only use it when there is confidence that you, at the moment, do not have an inflammatory process in this area. If you are dealing with acute inflammation, use heating with a blue filter lamp, which has antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Local cryotherapy is a treatment that acts as an anesthetic and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Procedures of a shock wave on trigger points.
- Drug electrophoresis with application of painkiller and anti-inflammatory drug.
In cases justified, associated with acute pain in the neck due to strong muscle tension( muscular protection), sometimes immobilization of the cervical collar is used. However, one should not abuse its use. The collar should be used only to stabilize and relieve acute pain( do not forget about strengthening exercises).
It should be borne in mind that it is better to resist the disease than to treat it later.
It is extremely important to prevent the degeneration of the cervical spine, to take the right position when sitting( use a chair with armrests, knees and hips should be bent at a 90-degree angle, a cushion under the lumbar region or special profiling chairs - this all allows you to takethe correct position of the spine in the thoracic and cervical spine);
Corresponding height and distance to the computer monitor when operating. The monitor is best set within line of sight( right in front of the head), not too high and not too low.
Take breaks during a long sitting in front of the monitor, and do a couple of exercises at this time, unloading and relaxing the neck and shoulder girdle.
Provide yourself with a special roller for the neck, which unloads the muscles, supports the head while traveling, take care of the necessary height of the head restraint to protect the neck.
The right pillow for sleeping, the best orthopedic pillow, with the appropriate filling, which in the initial period of use is usually not convenient for patients. However, it should be remembered that the spine takes a little time to get used to such a pillow, so you should not give it up too quickly.
Correct posture during reading: the book should be located on a raised platform, at an angle to take care of the neck, do not bend excessively.
Periodic control of visual acuity, as incorrectly selected correction causes wrong position of neck forward.
Complete recovery of arthrosis, even at a very early stage, is not possible, however, specialized therapy can slow the progression of the disease.
Treatment may also consist in alleviating the symptoms of the disease by using anti-inflammatory drugs.
Physical exercises performed under the guidance of a specialist help relax the muscles and relieve cervical vertebrae. It is also recommended to use a massage that relieves excessive pressure in the joints of the spine.
Causes of the appearance and treatment of uncoarthrosis in the cervical spine
Unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine is a chronic degenerative-dystrophic process, the progression of which leads to partial destruction of the interlayers of the cartilaginous tissue located between the vertebral bodies. The pathological process leads to a pronounced disruption of normal movement in the cervical spine. At the same time there are various neurological disorders associated with the involvement of blood vessels and neural bundles in the disease.
Causes of unco-vertebral osteoarthritis
Factors, the impact of which leads to the development of the disease, can be divided into congenital and acquired. It is impossible to exclude the combined effect of these causes.The most frequent congenital causes of the development of this disease is the Aulenic syndrome, which is expressed in a change in the normal structure of the first cervical vertebra( atlanta).The most common causes of unco-vertebral osteoarthritis are:
- acute and chronic injuries of the cervical spine;
- flat feet;
- the consequences of a previous history of poliomyelitis;
- dislocations of the hip joint;
- physical inactivity;
- excess weight;
- physical work, which is accompanied by lifting weights.
Changes in the spine with arthrosis
The initial stage of unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine is accompanied by the destruction of the cartilaginous tissue of the intervertebral disc - because of this, the amortization processes necessary for free and painless movement are disrupted. This leads to the fact that the load on the spine is distributed unevenly, so the nerves, vessels and muscles of the neck are constantly traumatized. The cartilage loses its fluid, its structure gradually breaks down, and bone osteophytes directed toward each other are formed to compensate for the loadings occurring on the vertebrae. At the same time, calcium deposits occur in the ligaments present in the cervical spine - this leads to a breakdown in their strength and reduced elasticity.
Bunches cease to "restrain" the intervertebral disc - it begins to protrude beyond the vertebral bodies in the posterior and forward directions, which causes damage to the anatomical formations located near the spine. It is the protrusions of the disc that most often cause the appearance of pain in the neck - at first it appears only in movement, but in the late stages of the disease this unpleasant sensation exists and at rest.
Symptoms of the disease - an occasion to seek medical help
The main symptoms of the disease are:
- neck pain;
- limitation of the mobility of the vertebrae of the cervical spine;
- development of instability in the spinal column( in the cervical region) - periodically subluxations of joints located on the arcuate processes of the vertebrae, which is manifested by dull severe pain in the neck, discomfort that disappear when the body position changes, performing gymnastic exercises or massage the affected area;
- appearance of a strong, audible even at a distance of the crunch that occurs when moving.
When a significant degree of degenerative process is expressed in the spine, severe neurological disorders can occur - chest pain, blood pressure jumps, visual and hearing impairment, dizziness, gait unsteadiness and instability.
Patient examination program
If the doctor suspects a patient of unco-vertebral arthrosis, the examination program provides:
- clinical examination of the patient with the definition of neurologic status;
- radiography of the cervical spine;
- computed tomography( CT);
- magnetic resonance imaging( MRI).
If necessary, additional studies and consultations of doctors of related specialties - cardiologist, vascular surgeon, otolaryngologist, ophthalmologist, neurosurgeon - can be prescribed.
How to treat arthrosis of cervical vertebrae?
At the stage of exacerbation of the disease, medical measures are directed to the elimination of pain and ensuring the rest of the damaged segment of the spinal column. That is why in the acute stage of the disease is shown wearing a collar of Shantz - an orthopedic device that helps to ensure proper immobility and relieve the load from the vertebrae and muscles surrounding them. Specific terms for the use of this orthopedic device are determined by the doctor who observes the patient. As the condition improves, a program of treatment of the degenerative-dystrophic process in the tissues of the intervertebral discs includes massage and the performance of a special set of exercises of therapeutic physical training.
The acute phase medical treatment for relief of pain and muscle spasm, which inevitably occurs with unco-vertebral arthrosis, involves the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants. To prescribe any analgesic and antispasmodic agent and to control the process of therapy should the doctor - the duration of treatment should be the minimum possible.
Necessarily the appointment of drugs that activate the circulation processes in the structures of the spine, metabolism in tissues - prescribe antiaggregants and vascular drugs with sufficiently long courses. At the same time chondroprotectors can be prescribed - these drugs inhibit the processes of degeneration in the cartilaginous tissue and allow to slow the progression of the accompanying symptoms.
Physiotherapy procedures are mandatory - electrophoresis and phonophoresis, amplipulse therapy and darsonvalization, as well as reflexotherapy may be used during the treatment.
It has been proven over many years that such a comprehensive treatment can bring lasting, positive results,action of medicines, is strengthened with folk remedies and procedures.
Spondylosis involves therapy with drugs of different directions:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. They remove the edema of the affected vertebra, suppress the inflammatory processes, reduce pain. What kind of medications are prescribed depends on the degree of arthrosis, individual intolerance, concomitant diseases, the stage of the disease.
- Muscle relaxants. Remove spasm in the muscular skeleton of the cervical region.
- Drugs that promote strengthening of vertebral joint nutrition, normalizing blood circulation, in the affected area.
- Hondprotectors. Are effective, restoring cartilage tissues, by means. Are able to suspend pathological processes, such as destruction of intervertebral discs. Relevant at the initial stages of arthrosis( stage 1, 2).If the disease has reached a more serious degree of development, then such means will not bring a significant result.
- Vitamins, minerals, microelements. Regular reception, promotes high-grade nutrition of joint tissues, improvement of a condition of patients of joints of a backbone.
- External medicinal preparations, in the form of gels, ointments, rubs, help to remove inflammation, puffiness, reduce pain in the affected joints of the vertebrae.
Observance of certain principles in the daily diet, as well as regular charging, can have a real, positive effect on the joints suffering from cervical arthrosis. Such a diet, helps to treat spondylosis and maintain the optimal balance, of all the substances necessary for the body.
- Refusal of alcohol and carbonated drinks.
- Elimination of fatty varieties of meat and fish, replacing them with lean meats.
- Refusal of smoked products, sausages, canned products.
- Decrease in consumption of salt of sugar, refusal of bitter, sharp seasonings.
- Replacement of refractory fats, various vegetable oils.
- Increase in the amount of liquid drunk, up to 1.5 - 2 liters, per day.
- Introduction to the menu of a large number of fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Switch to cereal bread, coarse grinding, refusal of confectionery baking.
- Preference for boiled, stewed, baked dishes.
The most effective are the following physiotherapeutic procedures:
- magnetotherapy: magnetic field exposure can remove all negative symptoms of cervical arthrosis.
- phonophoresis: local, ultrasound, analgesic drugs.
- impact multidirectional, different frequency currents, with the help of special equipment, has a high analgesic effect.
Massages are an effective method, enhancing the positive dynamics, which provides comprehensive treatment. Improving the circulatory process, contribute to the restoration of the functions of vertebral joints, relieve tension and spasms. Limitations - the phase of acute exacerbation.
Daily exercise, including mandatory exercises for the neck, helps to restore joint mobility, maintain high muscle tone. The emergence of painful sensations and inconveniences, in the process of implementation, the symptoms that speak about the need to select other, more sparing, exercises. Charging, performed in the fresh air, without excessive loads, can repeatedly strengthen the benefits of all other procedures, and make treatment more versatile, and properly selected health-improving exercises, tones up the entire body.
Cervical vertebrae, with arthrosis, are subjected to overloads and pinching. Using special tools - orthopedic collar, underwear, pillows, can help relieve tension, reduce spasms, ease the severity of attacks, reduce the swelling of the vertebrae.
Treatment with folk remedies
As a diet, exercise and massage, folk medicine, an affordable, widely used method, to combat arthrosis of the cervical spine. Razirki, ointments, compresses, tinctures. Which means to use depends on the phase of the disease, individual tolerability and concomitant diseases, since folk remedies, although not medicines, but they also have a large number of contraindications. Among neutral, almost unlimited use of funds, it is possible to distinguish some compresses and ointments for grinding:
- Flaxseed oil, propolis, turpentine, in the ratio 4 /1/ 1. In a "water bath", at low heat, melt the propolis, add turpentine andlinseed oil. Stir well until smooth consistency. Pour into a glass container, preferably in a dark color. Store in a cool, dark place. It is recommended before bedtime, rub the neck area, with soft, circular motions. Wrap a handkerchief or scarf. With regular use, reduces swelling, pain.
- Mixed in equal shares sunflower oil and geranium oil, insists in a cool, dark place, for two weeks. The composition rubs the sore spots. It is advisable not to use, directly, before going outside. It alleviates all negative symptoms.
- In warmed up on a "water bath", sea-buckthorn oil, the gauze cloth is moistened, it is imposed on area of patients of cervical vertebra. The top is covered with a film, or a special, silicone pad, wrapped in a warm scarf. It is recommended to do the procedure at night. Has anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect.
Any, even such a serious disease as spondylosis, is treatable, subject to all medical appointments, a healthy lifestyle, timely access to help.
Unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine affects the discs between the vertebrae and the facet joints. From this disease there are cervical, brachial neuritis and other symptoms. Because of this, it is hard for a person to turn his head, since severe pains arise, it is difficult to move even with his hands.
Arthrosis of the cervical spine begins to develop for the following reasons:
- permanent physical stress of a severe nature;
- movements, which last a long and monotonous;
- excessive weight;
- when two joints are mismatched;
- injury, which occurred in the neck;
- joints become inflamed;
- metabolism has been disrupted;
- the thyroid gland is broken.
Osteoarthritis of the cervical spine often appears in people who are engaged in dangerous sports, who raise heavy things. Every time a person exercises an overabundance of stress on the body, he gradually harms himself. After all, cartilage has a property to wear out.
In order not to appear uncoovertebral arthrosis, you need to monitor your health, contact your doctor for any pain. After all, this disease can bring serious consequences.
Unco-vertebral arthrosis is a very serious form of the disease. As a result, not only growths but also neurological diseases appear.
The cause of this degeneration is the disruption of feeding of the discs between the vertebrae. From this they are depleted, appear outgrowth. This is a protective reaction of the body to reduce the burden on this part. Because of this, it is necessary to find the middle, since heavy loads harm the spine, and lack of mobility.
Unco-vertebral arthrosis of the spine does not initially show any signs, the symptoms are almost invisible. There may be a sharp pain when a person sharply turns his head or lifts something heavy. These sensations quickly appear and also disappear, they are localized in 1-2 vertebrae.
In this regard, few people pay attention to such symptoms. Because of this, unco-vertebral arthrosis of the spine is particularly dangerous. It's just at this stage that the treatment is not complicated, and it will not take much time for this. In just two weeks you can stop the development of the disease.
If you still ignore minor symptoms, then in the future the disease will begin to develop, with the most insignificant load a person will feel pain, even in windy or damp weather, these feelings will intensify. Later it will be harder to move or turn your head. In this torture for such a patient will be cold weather with rain.
Not always there is a strong pain, it is noticeably blunted, but does not let you sleep peacefully. You can hear a crunch when you turn your head in different directions.
When uncovertebral arthrosis passes into the stage that is most neglected, the following symptoms appear:
- numbness is felt;
- feels tingling in the neck;
- there is nausea;
- makes you dizzy from time to time.
The most important thing, if you start treatment in time, then there will be no complications. After all, the arthrosis of the cervical region can pass to the spinal cord, after which neurological syndromes will appear.
Diagnosis of the disease
As soon as such symptoms appear, and any pain in the cervical region, you should immediately consult a doctor. He will interview the patient, make a thorough diagnosis. After that it will be possible to finally say about the nature of the disease and what influenced its appearance. The expert should feel the painful points, from which he will know where the damage is localized.
Of course, one can not do without an MRI or X-ray to accurately detect the presence of osteophytes that are in the vertebrae. With the help of such diagnostics, the doctor can see the affected blood vessels.
As already explained, immediate treatment is required. Basically it goes out-patient. The most important thing to achieve is to eliminate pain, and then provide the muscles with an atmosphere of rest.
There are such methods of treatment:
- should limit movement, for this there is a collar of Shantz, which can fix the neck, after which the load is significantly reduced;
- taking medications that will reduce pain and spasms;
- use of funds that improve blood flow to the neck;
- administration of drugs that are capable of restoring cartilaginous tissue.
Physiotherapy is also used, namely:
Treatment of arthrosis of the cervical spine. Symptoms, basic manifestations, diagnosis
Increasingly, people complain of pain in the spine. And one of the most common diagnoses with such pains in the neck is arthrosis of the cervical spine. It appears because the joints change their shape under the influence of some factors, a serious inflammatory process is formed at the site of deformation. The most severe form of osteoarthritis is considered uncoarthrosis - on the vertebrae there are growths that even can cause neurological diseases.
How to manifest cervical arthrosis
To recognize it simply, the first reliable sign of osteoarthritis is rightly considered the appearance of pain in the neck, the intensity of which is so strong that the patient is not always able to perform quite normal movements, both neck and hands. Pain is associated with the vertebrae touching the nerve endings, or because of the thinning of the cartilaginous layer of bone touching each other, so in the early stages of osteoarthrosis, pain often troubles the patient only with sudden movements or neck strain. Other symptoms of cervical arthrosis include:
- Strong crunch( familiar to many clicks) with the turn of the neck, while as the disease worsens the crunch increases and intensifies.
- Impossibility to completely tilt the head in any direction due to acute pain.
- Headaches that can not be cured.
- In special cases, tinnitus or even visual impairment may occur, dizziness( usually "uncaused"), chest pain, sudden increase in pressure - all this is a neurological symptom arising from compression of the deformed joints of nerve endings or blood vessels.
Any sign of cervical osteoarthritis is a good reason for an urgent visit to a specialist. It must be remembered that only a doctor can determine the presence or absence of arthrosis, since his symptoms are nonspecific and may indicate another problem. If you start to treat arthrosis immediately after its first manifestation, then its development is most often possible to stop - therapy, begun at the stage of irregular pain, brings positive results in just a couple of weeks. If therapy is started late enough, the treatment will be very difficult and long.
Causes of development of osteoarthrosis
Natural( natural) aging processes certainly directly affect the development of problems with joints, therefore the most numerous patients with such a painful disease remain the elderly. Because of this, often unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine is called "senile disease".But deformation of the spinal tissues can occur in even younger people due to:
- High physical exertion( and the unnatural position of the body at this time significantly increases the likelihood of arthrosis).
- Excess weight( statistically proven that obese people are much more likely to suffer from joint diseases).
- A sedentary( usually sedentary) lifestyle.
- Thyroid dysfunction.
- Injury of the spine( it is interesting that cervical arthrosis may appear even if damaged, for example, the lumbar spine).It is worth knowing that the disease does not manifest soon after the injury - the disease can manifest only a few years after the injury.
- There are intervertebral hernias.
Whatever the reason for the appearance of the disease, the patient should be treated as early as possible for treatment of cervical spine arthrosis.
To diagnose "arthrosis of the cervical spine" can only an expert doctor! Moreover, in addition to a full-time examination( palpating the neck area, the most painful points are revealed), the patient will need the results of some studies:
X-ray( often to obtain the full picture requires several projections).This type of study is mandatory when making a diagnosis. MRI or computed tomography, as well as angiography of vessels, can also be prescribed to determine the presence of arthrosis, and in addition, using these diagnostic methods it is possible to determine its localization.
Treatment of cervical osteoarthritis
After the diagnosis and diagnosis, the doctor prescribes adequate treatment. But regardless of the prescribed treatment, all patients should change their lifestyle a little( this measure is applicable to all forms of arthrosis).First of all, patients who are overweight should get rid of some extra pounds - the pressure on the joints will decrease, which will not only reduce the intensity of pain, but will also facilitate the treatment process. Often doctors prescribe a special diet not only for obese patients - it is designed to normalize the metabolism in the body, which will allow joints to receive adequate nutrition. In addition, patients are advised to follow the level of blood pressure, as well as blood sugar.
Treatment of unco-vertebral arthrosis reduces to several methods:
- Manual therapy;
All types of arthrosis treatment are designed to perform several tasks, including pain relief, inflammation and nerve infringement, to restore deformed cartilage.
Treatment of arthrosis does not require hospitalization and is carried out at home. In this case, often the doctors are assigned temporary restriction of motor activity, in particular, the maximum reduction in the load on the neck. For this, a special device is used - the Shantz collar, which tightly fixes the cervical section. As the acute pain subsides, the motor activity of the neck is gradually re-introduced. After canceling the use of the collar, a dream is shown on the orthopedic pillow. In addition, you should develop the habit of taking the right( minimally traumatic) posture when walking, sitting or lying down - the back should be straight.
Use of medicines in the treatment of arthrosis
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( diclofenac and nimesulide) can be used primarily for the treatment of pain. It is worth remembering that only a doctor should prescribe any medications, as well as their dosage. In addition, some of the drugs in this group can slow down the metabolism in the cartilaginous tissue, which greatly complicates the treatment. In addition, the incorrectly selected dosage of the medicine is even capable of negatively affecting the disease. Pain pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or aspirin, may also be prescribed to reduce pain.
For the maximum recovery of damaged cartilage tissue, medication is also prescribed. Modern medicine has never been able to develop a drug that can finally cure unco-vertebral arthrosis of the cervical vertebrae, but more recently, drugs have been developed that can stop the development of the disease, and also contribute to obtaining the cartilage tissue of the necessary elements for better recovery. Such drugs are chondroprotectors, based on two active substances - glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate.
In the event of osteoarthritis of the cervical region, the full blood circulation in this area is violated, therefore, in the main number of cases, drugs improving the blood circulation in tissues should be prescribed. Such drugs include actovegin, curantyl, prodectin, etc.
Physiotherapy, massage and physical education for cervical osteoarthrosis
High results in the treatment of cervical arthrosis can be achieved with the help of various types of physiotherapy, so it is prescribed in 99% of cases. Physiotherapy positively affects cartilage nutrition, and also significantly slows the development of the disease. To treat arthrosis of the cervical spine, various methods of physiotherapy are prescribed: ultrasound, microwave therapy, electrophoresis( using analgesics, for example, novocaine), amplipulse, and magnetotherapy.
Also effective treatment of cervical osteoarthritis is a therapeutic massage, designed to relax the muscles of the cervical region, which for a long time were in constant tension.
The last method of therapy is exercise therapy. But it is worth remembering that before you treat arthrosis of the cervical vertebrae in this way, you need to get permission from the doctor, and also developed a special set of exercises. Self-selected exercises can significantly exacerbate the disease. In addition, during the performance of physical education should be extremely cautious - for any pain, you must immediately stop the exercise and get advice from your doctor.
If the patient is too late to seek help, one of the last stages of osteoarthritis can be diagnosed, when the listed methods of treatment will not bring a positive result. In this case, only surgical intervention is able to correct the situation. During the operation, the surgeon restores the intervertebral discs with the help of artificial materials.
To prevent the occurrence of such a serious disease of the spine, as arthrosis, you must follow certain measures. Balanced and rational nutrition, proper back position, active lifestyle with moderate loads, and regular performance of a simple complex of exercises for the neck - all this allows you to maintain the health of the spine.