Pain in the knee when walking: possible reasons, what to do?
Almost all people with age begin to experience pain in the knee, which occurs with a prolonged load on it. And the cause of this is not necessarily to be a trauma - enough of the usual wear of cartilaginous surfaces. This symptom is usually the very first swallow of various diseases, so when it appears, it is desirable to be examined and to establish the cause to start treatment in time. Let's see why the knee can hurt when walking.
Knee joint is one of the most stressed in the body, therefore it is highly prone to wear
The main causes of pain while walking
The causes of pain in the knee joint during movement can be very different, but they can all be divided into two large groups:
- acuteusually arising from trauma;
- is chronic, caused by some slow catarrhal diseases or overloads.
During the injury, depending on the direction of the damaging force, various structures of the joint itself, as well as surrounding nerve fibers, blood vessels and soft tissues can be affected. As a result of damage within a few minutes, swelling, bruising( a cavity in the tissues of the organs or muscles filled with blood, a bruise) and severe painful sensations on walking occurs - they will intensify and may persist for a fairly long period of time.
Running, long walks on rough terrain, lifting of weights can lead to daily microtraumatization. As a result of constant overloads, inflammation and irritation of various joint structures often develop:
- bursitis, in which the periarticular cavities filled with fluid normally function as depreciation;
- tendovaginitis - changes in tendons and their membranes;
- thickening of ligaments of the joint and a change in the structure of the cartilaginous surfaces, which become insufficiently even.
The knee can also ache when walking, and with infectious and inflammatory diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue( cellulite), bones( osteomyelitis) and the cavity itself( arthritis).If there is a violation of the blood supply of any area of the joint, there is also the possibility of pain during exercise. Not the last place is taken and autoimmune processes, in which the body's own cells destroy the tissues of the knee, taking them for alien.
A very common pathology, which leads to painful sensations during walking, is the proliferation of shells that produce synovial fluid. At the same time, during flexion and extension of the leg, they can enter the articulation gap and contract, which leads to the appearance of symptoms.
Pinching of nerves and instability of the knee joint, can also cause pain associated with the deviation of the leg sideways.
Diseases in which joint pain is observed are very diverse
Treatment: the correct approach
If knee pain occurs while walking, consult a doctor. If you engage in self-medication - you can miss the precious time, while the pathological process will lead to irreversible changes.
It is very important to treat the disease that led to the appearance of a symptom. If the cause could not be established, general therapy can be used:
- Preparations that restore the structure of the cartilaginous tissue and prevent its destruction - chondroprotectors. Unfortunately, they do not act immediately, but only after six months of daily use. In addition, their use is acceptable only in the early stages of the disease, when the cartilage is not yet completely destroyed.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs not only reduce inflammation and swelling, but also relieve pain. Since they destroy the gastric mucosa - their long-term use can be dangerous.
When the knee hurts when walking - a very effective tool is the use of a special bandage. It fixes the joint, preventing its deviation. More details about the properties and types of knee pads can be found in the article "Knee pads with arthrosis".
Massage is aimed at eliminating various kinds of jamming of the nerves and tissue of bags, as well as strengthening the muscles of the thigh, which stabilize the joint. Physiotherapy can be performed only outside the periods of exacerbation of the underlying disease.
Popular methods of treatment, which often prove effective, are devoted to the article "Folk remedies for knee pain".
If you have a knee ache during sports, try to knead your joints beforehand, warming up your muscles and ligaments well. Significant physical stress can lead to damage to the structure of the knee - and then without the help of a doctor can not do.
Take care of your knees early and be healthy!
Why knees hurt while walking
To understand the possible causes of knee pain when walking, it is necessary to understand how the knee joint is arranged and what changes in it become an obstacle to its normal functioning.
Knee joint structure
The front part of the joint is limited by the patella. To it is attached a tendon connecting the joint with the quadriceps muscle of the thigh and passing into a patellar ligament. The tibia and femur are joined posteriorly by cruciform and lateral ligaments at the sides.
On the part of the joint, the bones end with cartilage. On the sides of the joint between the cartilages of the tibia and femur are the concave crescent cartilage - menisci. They significantly reduce the friction of the cartilages of the femoral and tibia.
The entire knee joint is enclosed in a periarticular bag filled with joint fluid.
Knee arthritis, leading to pain when walking
Knee pain can occur when walking in any part of the joint, namely:
- , stretching or tearing of ligaments;
- post-traumatic changes in the natural form of cartilage;
- age-related changes in cartilage;
- decrease in the amount of joint fluid;
- patella damage.
In any of these cases, the load on individual areas of the knee joint will increase, without proper treatment, the disease will progress, which will necessarily lead to worsening of symptoms.
Diseases in which knee pain occurs while walking
The bulk of the diseases, the symptom of which is knee pain when walking, can be combined under the collective name of arthritis.
The development of knee arthritis begins against the background of the following conditions:
- abnormal nutrition of the tissues of the knee joint;
- violation of ion balance;
- penetration of infectious or fungal pathogens into the joint bag;
- various injuries.
Pain in the knees during walking occurs with the following pathological conditions:
- Osteoarthritis - dystrophic changes in the joint tissues, in which the cartilage is thinned.
- Meniscus injuries, in which his cartilaginous tissue is destroyed, becomes inflamed, the knee loses mobility, swells, pain retching when walking.
- Tendonitis - irritation or inflammation of the ligaments of the knee joint due to the effects of infections or injuries: stretching, tearing, rupture of tendons. At the same time, the knee begins to ache with a heavy load, for example, during running, then the pain begins when walking, turning into a constant.
- Osgood-Spatter disease, more common in boys at the beginning of puberty. At the same time, a small swelling appears in the patella, and pain under walking gives under the knee.
- Baker's cyst or popliteal is a common cause of edema or swelling in the region behind the knee.
- Dissecting osteochondritis is a disease in which part of the cartilage in the knee joint loses its make-up and dies. In this case, there is a periodic pulling pain when walking, which in time becomes strong and acute, the joint is deformed.
- Infectious local skin diseases( cellulite), bone( osteomyelitis), synovial bag( septic bursitis) and the entire joint( infectious arthritis).
The knee can hurt, not only when walking but also when flexing, more in the article: Pain in the knees when flexing.
In addition, in the lower limbs, leg muscles can be sick, more details about the causes and consequences of these symptoms are described here.
There is also a good article about the joints of the fingers, the causes and diseases of which are similar to the knee joints, more about the causes of pain in the joints of the fingers: http://med-atlas.ru /sustavy/ bolyat-palcy-ruk.html
Symptomatic of painin the joint when walking
. By how the knee hurts and where the pain is localized, it is possible to judge the possible causes of the onset of the symptom.
The knee is aching after running or long walking.
In this case, pain often occurs against the background of an overload of the joint. This situation is often faced by beginners. After a while the articular apparatus is strengthened, and the pain itself passes.
Hurts above the knee
Most often, this pain appears if the patellar ligament or cartilage of the thigh bone is damaged. In this area can give and the pain that occurs when the meniscus is damaged.
Pain under the knee at the bottom of the patella
This kind of pain can talk about problems with meniscuses, damage to the cartilaginous tissue of the tibia and the front ligament apparatus. Often begins against the background of fresh injuries, accompanied by swelling of the patella, joint crunch, a decrease in its mobility.
Aching behind the knee
Appears when there is a popliteal cyst, any pathology of the cruciate ligament, although most often it occurs precisely against the background of injuries of the tendons. In this case, the patient is hard and painful to straighten his leg to the end, the back part of the knee joint swells.
Knee swollen and aching when walking
Any visible changes in the knee joint area that result from injuries or for unclear reasons should serve as an excuse for urgent medical attention. Tumescence, decreased mobility and pain in the knee are obvious symptoms of the inflammatory process, which can lead to serious consequences.
The nature of knee pain when walking
Aching pain often occurs with an increased load on the knee joint, starting with arthrosis.
Acute pain can talk about joint damage , progressive inflammation.
If the acute pain that once passed is a clear sign of the progress of the pathology of the joint, which requires compulsory treatment.
If knee pain during walking is combined with a crunch, nocturnal pains, then most likely this symptom is associated with an age or post-traumatic change in the cartilaginous tissue, a decrease in the amount of joint fluid.
Knee pain walking: treatment
With the treatment of the knee should not be delayed: any pathology of the joint with time can lead to its deformation and immobilization.
For pain in the knee, you must contact a traumatologist, rheumatologist or osteopath .Diagnosis of diseases includes x-rays, sometimes - MRI, much less often - diagnostic laparoscopy.
Treatment is based on the taking of painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. In rare cases, with the pathology started, surgery is required.
However, do not worry about this: surgery is necessary only in isolated cases of .If the disease does not start, it is almost always possible to stop its course and get rid of the consequences of drug treatment methods, as well as with the help of physiotherapy and exercise therapy.
- About the author
- Latest articles
Regardless of the level of physical activity and age, every person faces the discomfort that arises when the knee hurts when walking. The cause of this unpleasant condition can be trauma or age-related wear of cartilage surfaces. Often, this symptom is a true harbinger of the course of a serious disease. For this reason, it is recommended not to wait until "it passes by itself", and immediately go to the doctor.
If a person's knees ache during walking, this may be a sign of leaking:
- of tendonitis;
- Baker's cyst( swelling or swelling in the area behind the knee is observed);
- of dissecting osteochondritis( as a result of the death of a part of the cartilage, joint deformation occurs);
- an infectious disease synovial bag;
- infectious arthritis;
- of osteomyelitis.
Why does walking or after intense physical activity cause pain in the lower limb? The causes of the appearance of pain depend on its nature and localization.
So, if the knee is very sore after a long walk or run, you can safely talk about reloading the joint. This condition is relevant for young people who have recently come into the world of sports. This is a non-dangerous pain, and after strengthening the joint apparatus passes by itself.
Pain below the patella often indicates a meniscus pathology. Provoke her may have recently received a trauma. If after a long walk there is aching pain, then there is every reason to suspect arthrosis. Acute painful syndrome is observed in the developing inflammatory process.
When the pulling character of pain sensations is transformed into acute, this indicates a progressive joint disease. This condition requires immediate medical intervention.
About the post-traumatic or age-related transformation is indicated by the presence of characteristic crunches in the joint and painful syndrome at night.
Symmetrical, with the same intensity of severe pain in the left and right knees, indicate a worsening of blood circulation in the joints. Unpleasant "twisting" sensations can occur both after physical exertion, and during a sharp cooling.
Pain sensations, formed against the background of wearing weights or walking down the stairs, indicate the progression of the inflammation of the knee tendons. This pathology is considered feminine and affects young ladies who have crossed the forty-year threshold.
Whatever the nature of the pain that has arisen in the knee after intense movements or while walking the stairs, the presence of swelling and restriction of mobility always indicate the course of a serious pathological process.
Symptomatic of Baker's
cyst. If a person does not just have knees ached while walking, but in the popliteal fossa there is also an elastic new growth of round shape, this indicates the development of Baker's cyst. Neoplasm at the back of the knee may appear against the background of arthrosis, arthritis or synovitis.
Pathology is manifested by specific symptoms.
- In the area behind the knee, a feeling of pressure or discomfort first arises, after which movement in the joint is greatly hampered.
- If the neoplasm behind the knee is large, then the numbness or cooling of the skin is observed.
- The formation of thrombosis and thrombophlebitis.
- Cyst wall rupture( occurs against the background of complication of the disease).
In order to rule out the risk of developing a serious disease, in the presence of neoplasm behind the knee, the doctor prescribes ultrasound and MRI of the joint.
Knee discomfort from the side of the knee
Knee pain walking: causes and treatment
Knees should be treated very carefully, because they are daily under tremendous strain. Often they can get sick just from fatigue due to active physical exercises, but often painful feelings become an alarming signal about the problem that has arisen. In the risk group there are people involved in sports - constant sports loads often cause overloads and injuries, which is why knee pain occurs when walking.
Knee pain in walking occurs sooner or later in any person
The knee joint is the largest element of the musculoskeletal system.
Pain under the knee during movement is a very serious symptom, because permanent discomfort can not be called a pleasant phenomenon, and severe pain attacks can completely limit a person's ability to move. With age, there is the possibility of simple wear of cartilaginous tissue, but in most cases, pain is a symptom of a disease or a dangerous injury.
Diseases that cause pain
Pain under the knee during physical exertion can have different character: pulling, sharp, cutting, sharp, etc. In addition, discomfort can arise and intensify only during physical exertion or, conversely, during night rest. In any case, without the necessary treatment, the disease will progress, and, therefore, the symptoms will deteriorate significantly.
The first group of reasons that can cause painful discomfort under the knee is damage to one of the components of the knee joint:
- rupture, sprain;
- abrasion of cartilage and change in shape( knee or age);
- patella damage;
- disruption of normal meniscus function;
- decreases the volume of secreted joint fluid, which simplifies the movement of bone in the joint.
As for specific diseases, most often the pain syndrome under the knee during walking causes arthritis of different forms. The development of this disease is favored by such factors:
- salt deposition;
- lack of nutrients coming to the joint;
- development of infectious or fungal processes in the joint bag.
This list of reasons can not be ended, because the symptom of pain during exercise( walking) can be triggered by such factors as:
- arthrosis( gonarthrosis) in the joint( exhaustion of elements);
- is an inflammatory process localized in the periarticular bag( a disease called bursitis);
- deposition of uric acid salts in articular tissues( gout);
- Cold-Schlatter disease;
- is an inflammation that affects the tendon - tendonitis;
- "mouse" in the joint is a piece of cartilage or bone that moves uncontrollably under the knee and causes considerable discomfort;
- inflammation of the joint membrane with a high likelihood of the formation of excess fluid and pus( synovitis), etc.
If knee pain occurs while walking, the joint
must be fixed. Pain under the knee, which manifests itself when walking and other physical exertion, should immediately alert. Undoubtedly, the sooner the treatment begins, the more favorable its results will be. An appeal to a specialist should be urgent and urgent in such cases: a sharp pain arose, which makes it very difficult to even step on the foot;there is a fact of mechanical damage, discomfort does not pass and visually noticeable distortion of the shape of the knee joint;in the symptomatic complex there is a temperature.
Features of treatment
The complaint "the knee hurts during walking" can not surprise any doctor - patients with such a problem are not uncommon. In such a situation, you need to register for an appointment with a rheumatologist, traumatologist or an osteopath. First of all, the doctor will be assigned a number of diagnostic measures. This can include both a general blood test, and MRI, X-ray or ultrasound.
Methods of treating pain under the knee, which occurs when walking, are different depending on the true cause of discomfort. Injuries can be applied immobilization by imposing gypsum or elastic bandages. Often patients are prescribed a course of drugs to eliminate inflammatory foci in combination with anesthetics. Intervention of surgeons becomes necessary in rare cases, when the situation is greatly neglected and simply does not have other possible solutions.
Any disease that caused damage to the knee joint does not pass without a trace - recovery will require a lot of effort, so that with the help of physiotherapy and physiotherapy exercises to restore the normal functioning of the knee.
Several ways to alleviate the condition of
There are many ways to prevent or reduce the likelihood of developing a particular disease.
To avoid problems with joints, it is necessary to include calcium-rich foods in the diet.
The same methods exist for diseases that cause discomfort in the knee joint:
- if you apply ice to the knee, it will help reduce edema( with trauma) and reduce the intensity of unpleasant sensations;
- proper nutrition and the introduction of dairy products and foods containing vitamin C in the diet, reduces the risk of osteoarthritis and thereby reduces the likelihood of pain when walking;
- a strong load on the knee joint can be caused by a significant excess weight, so that every lost kilogram is a step to life without pain;
- with active sports can not forget about a full rest for the whole body.
The knee is one of the largest joints in the body, which is the supporting one, that is, the load bearing weight of the whole body when walking, flexing and extending. The health of this joint and its integrity largely determines the comfortable existence and functionality of the whole organism. For a variety of reasons, the knee joint can be subjected to destructive and degenerative changes.
Causes of pain
Pain in the knee when bending or walking in 90% of cases is caused by the destruction of any joint structure: the cartilaginous lining, bone articulations, or the disruption of the synovial fluid, a special body that lubricates rubbing surfaces in the joint.
Severe Acute Damage
Damage to the joint or any of its structures can be caused by a sudden knee injury, severe bruise, severe uncomfortable movement, etc. Almost all of the injuries that can subsequently cause knee pain when bending or walking are connectedwith the destruction of the joint - this fact and becomes the cause of pain, when two damaged parts of the joint begin to shuffle about each other.
To acute lesions in this case are:
- dislocation and sprain of the knee with damage to the ligaments and muscles around the knee joint;
- rupture of the cartilaginous disc - meniscus;
- ligament rupture, especially often a ligament is torn between the knee and tibia;
- destruction of the patella is fragmentary, that is, not completely, and in some place, as a rule, such a fracture occurs in the middle of the calyx due to a strong knee stroke, similarly the knee pain during squats can cause a fracture of the thigh;
- a strong displacement of the patella, in which a piece of soft tissue gets into the joint, interfering with walking and causing painful sensations;
- cup offset, as a rule, the calyx is shifted to the top and requires immediate treatment.
Damage due to overload
Overloading the knee joint is considered to be a long knee load in sports, lifting gravity, debilitating work, etc. Static stress on the joint over time leads to deformation and disruption of the joint, which can respond with a pain syndrome of various symptoms.
To damage due to the load are:
- inflammatory process in the circumarticular bags with a liquid, because of which the liquid ceases to perform its functions;
- inflammation or small rupture of the periarticular ligaments;
- is a seal in the joint tissue that hinders walking;
- pain in the upper part of the knee joint due to systematic loading;
- is a strong infectious irritation of a thin cartilaginous lining between the ossicles of the leg bones.
Infectious and other diseases
The knee, like any joint of the body, is susceptible to a variety of diseases, which are also associated with the destruction of the joint tissue, infectious and inflammatory lesions.