Treatment of the inflammation of the jaw joint
The joint, which is located at the junction of the upper and lower jaw, performs an important connecting function. Inflammation of the jaw joint can be caused by various factors, but most often the disease develops when an infection gets into the joint. A similar disease should be identified in a timely manner and establish the cause of infection.
Treatment of the mandibular joint takes a long time. Even if the disease was diagnosed in time and started therapy immediately, only complex therapeutic measures can prevent the development of the disease and completely defeat it. And it is necessary to fight not only with the inflammation of the jaw apparatus, but also with the primary infection.
Causes of the disease
In most cases, the cause of inflammation is an infection that has got into the human body. Treatment should be correct and timely. The doctor's task is to establish correctly, which provoked the development of the disease. This determines the choice of a method for treating inflammation of the mandibular joint.
Modern medicine identifies infectious and traumatic infections. The main infectious factors that can provoke the disease:
- hypothermia of the oral cavity;
- osteomyelitis of the lower jawbone;
- otitis media;
What is the joint of the lower jaw
- inflammation of the salivary gland;
- any disease of a dental character( eg, caries);
- any form of tuberculosis;
- fungus actinomycetes.
Temporomandibular joint is usually damaged as a result of trauma to the lower part of the face. This can be a consequence of a stroke, a dislocation, a fracture or a crack. The forms of such a disease are two: chronic and acute. The first is manifested mainly due to infection with the infection or on the soil of another disease.
Acute form of inflammation can occur both after trauma and because of infection in the oral cavity or the patient's auricle.
Symptoms of joint inflammation
In case of lesion of the mandibular joint, the following manifestations of the disease are observed in the patient.
- Loss of appetite, nausea, constantly want to sleep, weakness.
- Body temperature rises.
- It's hard to open your mouth after sleeping.
- Pain when eating and talking. Usually it may seem that whiskey and ears ache.
- Swelling of the skin and redness around the mouth. Sharp pain during palpation.
- A crunch when the jaws are tightly compressed.
- Pain in the muscles.
- Shift of the jaw, distortion of the shape of the face.
Symptoms of the chronic form of the disease may differ slightly from the general. The pain is usually not sharp, but prolonged and aching. During a conversation or eating, it is greatly enhanced. Stiffness of the jaws is noted mainly in the morning and during sleep. The mandible shifts, but there is no swelling. The skin does not change color, but when pressed, the patient feels acute pain.
In acute purulent form of inflammation of the maxillofacial joint in the jaw area there is a dense neoplasm. The skin acquires a bright red color, becomes taut, and the pain threshold decreases. The patient experiences symptoms such as severe dizziness and reduced hearing acuity. In this case, it is required to begin treatment immediately.
If you start a purulent form of the disease, you may have heart problems, arthritis may develop joints, and not only jaw joints. Inflammation in the presence of tuberculosis can lead to deformation of the cartilaginous tissue.
Methods of treatment of the disease
Inflammation of the temporomandibular joint is a complex disease that requires scrupulous treatment. Therapy includes taking necessary medicines and a number of procedures. Methods of treatment can be completely different. One of the new, but popular ways to fight the disease is laser therapy. It can effectively cure inflammation of the mandibular joint.
To date, there are many drugs that will help in the fight against the disease, but you can not be absolutely sure that they will not give any side effects. With inflammation of the maxillofacial joint, laser treatment does not create such problems. Such therapy will even help to cope with the negative impact of traditional medicines.
Laser for physiotherapeutic procedures
The patient may be offered to undergo laser therapy if the inflammation has affected:
- the main joint in the jaw;
- temporomandibular joint;
- the mandibular joint.
In any inflammatory process, laser therapy is used to relieve tension, swelling and pain. Treatment of the affected joints is necessary in several stages. The initial task is to get rid of the pain. Then - to overcome the root cause of inflammation. And as a result, such treatment allows you to completely get rid of the disease.
The last step is usually the most difficult. It is enough simply to eliminate the symptoms of the disease and to overcome the infection that provokes them. But in order to achieve full recovery, a long rehabilitation course with the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesics is needed.
As soon as a patient has pain, the physiotherapy procedures are prescribed. Methods of treatment differ depending on the underlying cause of inflammation. Patients may be prescribed intraarticular injections, non-steroid drugs, antibacterial or antirheumatic drugs.
Correctly to select therapeutic agents can only the doctor, therefore to be engaged in a selftreatment it is not necessary. The specialist writes out the preparations taking into account the severity of the disease and its pathogen. Recipes from traditional medicine can be used, but it is advisable to consult a doctor beforehand.
It is necessary to impose a bandage on the mandibular joint. It will help reduce pain and immobilize the affected organ. This will eliminate its further damage.
How to properly treat arthritis of the maxillofacial joint
Arthritis of the maxillofacial joint is an inflammatory disease. The development of this disease can be caused by trauma, infections, metabolic disorders and even allergies. Arthritis of the jaw joint can become aggravated due to hypothermia or significant physical exertion on the affected organ. The disease can occur in an acute form or become chronic.
Changing the cartilage of the lower jaw joint
The mobility of the lower jaw provides the temporo-jaw joint, it connects it with the temporal bone. Due to the fact that the lower jaw has the ability to move, we can talk and chew food. The peculiarity of the jaw joint is that its head is much smaller than the joint fossa, and to compensate for this, there is an articular disc consisting of cartilaginous tissue.
The complexity of diagnosing this disease is that when X-rays are taken, the deviation can not be seen, except when there is a rupture of ligaments. In the results of a blood test for the presence of an inflammatory process, an increase in the concentration of the C-reactive protein may be indicative.
Types of arthritis of the jaw joint
- Traumatic arthritis is caused by a jaw joint injury due to a stroke or strong opening of the mouth. This type of disease is more common in children and young people. Symptoms of this jaw arthritis are redness and swelling, as well as tenderness in the joint area. To relieve the pain, it is necessary to fix the joint for 2-3 days, the use of a cooling bandage helps. If the pain is very strong, it is possible to use analgesics.
Infection can cause damage to these joints
- Infectious facial arthritis occurs as a complication after the flu, otitis media. Its development can cause osteomyelitis of the jaw, tonsillitis, purulent parotitis or mastoiditis. Signs of the disease: pain is not only in the joint, it gives in the temple, ear and back of the head. The mouth is almost impossible to open, the soft tissues of the jaw swell, and their temperature rises. Treatment of this type of arthritis is associated with the elimination of the root cause of the disease.
- Infectious-specific arthritis develops very rarely. It is the result of very neglected infectious diseases, such as syphilis, tuberculosis, gonorrhea.
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the jaw occurs in approximately 6 patients. In this case, the defeat of the jaw joint occurs after other joints have been affected by rheumatism. Treatment is carried out as with ordinary rheumatism. It is impossible for joints to become jointed, so they must be moved.
- Purulent arthritis symptoms is as follows: hearing loss, very severe pain, in the joint region - high temperature, there is a seal that can be palpated. If you have this type of disease, only surgical intervention will help to heal. In this case, perform an autopsy of inflammation and remove pus.
- Dystrophic disorders in the jaw joint area occur when chewed on one side, as well as with different dental diseases. Symptoms of this type of disease is difficult to specify, they can only be determined by an experienced doctor. In the case of a dystrophic disorder, treatment should be started on time, otherwise the deformity of the jaw joint may begin.
In time to recognize the development of arthritis of the jaw, you need to pay attention to the state of your body. Symptoms that indicate the initial stage of the disease: headaches, jaws can be heard crunching and screeching, ringing in the ears, in the morning or after a long rest state, opening the jaw becomes problematic enough.
Methods of treatment and prevention of disease
If the disease passes in an acute form, it is necessary to ensure the immobility of the joint. To do this, use an individual sling and a lining between the teeth to disengage the bite. The patient can only eat liquid food. To relieve pain, anesthetics are used, since it is necessary to restore the functionality of the jaw in the shortest possible time.
The following physiotherapy procedures can be prescribed:
- applying hot paraffin to the joint area to relieve pain;
- for the restoration of joint mobility compresses are used with the use of ronidase;
- for the removal of inflammation and improve microcirculation is UHF-therapy, it helps to speed up the repair and regeneration of tissues;
- use of therapeutic mud allows to fill the shortage in the tissues of minerals;
- in order for the preparations to penetrate deeply, prescribe electrophoresis;
- to improve blood circulation, bee venom can be used, but only if the patient does not have allergies to it;
- for the restoration of cartilage and acid-base balance iodine-containing preparations are prescribed;
- in order to relieve the tension of the chewing muscles, they massage them, which prevents the chin from shifting towards the diseased joint;
- gymnastics of facial muscles allows to improve their tone and more reliably to support a jaw joint.
It is necessary to monitor the condition of the teeth, as a violation of the bite leads to an increase in the load on the joints and can cause their dystrophic changes. A dentist is recommended to undergo an examination at least 2 times a year. This will allow to determine the time of the onset of the disease in time. If you have had a jaw injury, be sure to contact an experienced doctor, he will correctly diagnose and, if necessary, prescribe adequate and timely treatment.
Do not engage in self-medication, so you risk transferring the disease to a chronic stage and significantly complicate its further treatment.
Contact path of propagation takes place to be most often. In this case, the root cause of inflammation can become:
- otitis media( inflammation of the middle ear) and mastoiditis as its complication;
- angina( inflammation of the palatine tonsils);
- sialadenitis( inflammation of the salivary glands), more often parotid( parotitis);
- abscesses and phlegmon of the soft tissues of the maxillofacial region;
- furuncles and carbuncles of the temporal region;
- osteomyelitis of the lower jaw or temporal bone;
- acute pericoronaritis( difficulty teething wisdom).
Thus, the source of inflammation and the root cause of arthritis can be, for example, a sick tooth, in the absence of treatment which develops osteomyelitis of the lower jaw. But often the cause of arthritis are and diseases of the ENT organs: the ear and throat.
In the hematogenous path of the pathogen, the causes of arthritis of the jaw joint are:
- Influenza, measles, rubella;
- Specific diseases( syphilis, tuberculosis, leprosy);
- Autoimmune pathologies( rheumatoid arthritis, lupus);
- Common fungal infections.
Symptoms of arthritis of the jaw joint
Inflammation of the temporomandibular joint( TMJ) is characterized by the appearance of pulsating pain, which is sharply increased when the mouth is opened and any movements of the jaw. The intensity of pain increases with pressure on the joint anterior to the ear, as well as when pressing on the chin. The area of the joint may swell. If the process involves nearby soft tissue, sometimes there is hyperemia( redness) of the skin in the ear and its adhesion. On the site of inflammation, the skin can not be folded.
There is a pronounced limitation of opening the mouth, when the patient can not open it wider than a few millimeters. The course of acute inflammation is accompanied by fever, chills, dizziness and other manifestations of general intoxication. Because of the growing swelling, the external auditory canal narrows, there is a feeling of ear congestion.
Such signs can be observed from one side, for example, with arthritis on the soil of the lower jaw osteomyelitis. Bilateral arthritis is characteristic of hematogenous infections( influenza), autoimmune diseases and sepsis.
Complications of arthritis of the jaw joint
Among purulent complications of inflammation of the jaw joint, phlegmon of the temporal region, development of meningitis or sepsis is secreted. In these cases, pus from the joint cavity by breaking through the joint capsule extends beyond its limits. First, it can accumulate in soft tissues, and then through the vessels to be carried to other areas, incl.a solid medulla. The development of complications is accompanied by low immunity. Most often they develop in patients with immunodeficiency( HIV infection, etc.)
If you do not start treatment of acute arthritis in time, it can acquire a chronic course with the development of adhesions inside the joint cavity. In this case, fibrotic ankylosis develops at first. And then, in proportion to the deposition of calcium salts, bone ankylosis is formed with the development of complete immobility of the joint. This condition is accompanied by the inability to open the mouth with a bilateral lesion or significant asymmetry of the face with a one-sided.
To exclude fractures of the jaw in arthritis of traumatic origin, the patient is followed by an X-ray of the TMJ.It is not possible to reveal the inflammation on the x-ray itself. Perhaps only a slight expansion of the joint gap in the image due to edema. With the development of such complications as ankylosis, the articulation gap, on the contrary, narrows or becomes generally invisible in the picture. Basically, the diagnosis is to evaluate clinical symptoms and to collect anamnesis.
Treatment of the inflammation of the jaw joint
Methods of treating the inflammation of the jaw joint depend on the causes that caused it. So, with infectious arthritis, it is necessary to prescribe antibiotic and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. To reduce edema in combination with them, antihistamines are recommended. If conservative therapy does not have an effect, and there is a risk of pus spreading to surrounding tissues, surgical drainage of the joint is performed.
In rheumatoid arthritis with a lesion of the TMJ, the main treatment is prescribed by a rheumatologist.
In the case of traumatic arthritis, the joint needs rest. For this, a patchy bandage is applied to the patient, and a disc that detaches the bite is installed between the teeth on the side of the lesion, which allows you to take liquid food through the tube. After the swelling subsides( 3-4 days), it is recommended the use of physiotherapy exercises for joint development and prevention of ankylosing.
If acute arthritis becomes chronic, treatment is performed by physiotherapeutic methods: electrophoresis with proteolytic enzymes( lidase, ronidase), UHF, paraffin therapy, diadynamic therapy, mud therapy.
How to treat inflammation of the joints, you can see below:
Maxillofacial arthritis is an inflammatory disease, manifested by soreness and restriction of the lower jaw mobility in the temporomandibular joint.
The cause of inflammation in this case is an infectious agent or a traumatic injury.
Causes of the development of the disease
The most common cause of arthritis of the maxillofacial joint is infectious disease. An acute infectious process in the ear or in the oral cavity can spread to nearby tissues, hitting the joint.
The second most common cause of the disease is trauma. A blow, a severe bruise and even a sharp opening of the mouth can cause a rupture.
In the case of structural disorders and rupture of the articular sac, blood or other body fluids can enter the joint, causing aseptic inflammation, passing into the acute focus and provoking arthritis.
The development of arthritis of the temporomandibular joint can develop due to a long-term infectious disease of other organs, as well as systemic diseases( rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus).
In this case, arthritis has an autoimmune origin when the body produces specific immune cells that, along with pathogenic bacteria, damage the body's own tissues.
To provoking factors that increase the risk of developing arthritis, include:
- Chronic foci of infection( bronchitis, frequent sore throats);
to menu ↑
Initial symptoms of arthritis of the maxillofacial joint appear almost immediately after exposure to the damaging agent. Most often, patients note a sharp soreness in the joint area, limiting its mobility.
Traumatic injury of the joint exacerbates the clinic by the fact that when the lower jaw moves, it moves to the sore side. The skin in the area of the affected joint becomes swollen, hot to the touch, painful on palpation.
A characteristic symptom of arthritis of the temporomandibular joint is local pulsating pain. Sometimes it is possible to spread painful sensations to nearby organs: tongue, neck, neck, ear.
Progression of the disease leads to the development of purulent complications. The following symptoms of arthritis of the temporomandibular joint are observed:
- Accumulation of pus in the joint region. The amount of fluid can increase so that it becomes noticeable through the skin.
- Increases body temperature to 39 degrees Celsius and above.
- Ejaculation due to narrowing of the external ear canal, headache.
- Sharp soreness in the affected joint, inability to open the mouth.
Lack of timely treatment leads to the rupture of capsules with pus and contamination of surrounding tissues with the development of their necrosis. In this case, the probability of serious complications increases significantly, there is a possibility of disability of the patient.
Chronic inflammation can go to arthrosis-arthritis of the temporomandibular joint. The tissue of the inflamed cartilage begins to expand, at first somewhat restricting the mobility, and at the later stages the chewing movements of the lower jaw become impossible. To the menu ↑
Effective treatment of
The first stage of treatment is resting the joint, wearing a special bandage and dieting. Diet should be organized in such a way that the amount of solid food was minimal. The patient is recommended liquid food.
Medical treatment of arthritis of the maxillofacial joint involves fighting the symptoms of the disease, as well as antibiotic therapy and physical methods of treatment.
In the treatment apply:
- Analgesics in the form of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( ketorol, analgin);
- Physiotherapy( electrophoresis, UHF therapy, Bernard currents on the area of the affected joint).
- Means, improving capillary blood circulation, vasodilator preparations( for struggle against an edema and stagnation of a blood).
Treatment of arthritis autoimmune etiology is carried out under the control of a rheumatologist with the appointment of hormonal drugs. When infectious etiology of inflammation is required antibacterial therapy.
Treatment of arthritis of the maxillofacial joint in connection with purulent complications is an emergency surgical intervention. During the operation, the inflammatory focus is opened and washed, after which drainage is established to drain the purulent contents.
In the postoperative period, drug treatment is continuing, aimed at removing edema and arresting the pain syndrome.
In severe forms of the disease, surgical treatment consists in prosthetics of the damaged joint.
Prevention - how to protect yourself from the disease?
An important role is played by the prevention of arthritis of the temporomandibular joint. For this purpose it is recommended:
- Special gymnastics, which allows to normalize the mobility of the maxillofacial joint and locally improve blood circulation.
- Sanitation of chronic foci of infection( treatment of angina, otitis, skin inflammatory diseases).
- Treatment of caries and other dental diseases. To maintain oral health, it is recommended to visit the dentist twice a year.
- General strengthening procedures for improving immunity( hardening, dieting, ensuring sufficient intake of vitamins and protein).
- Avoid overcooling.
Maxillofacial arthritis: symptoms, treatment and prevention
What is maxillofacial arthritis? In short, it is known as the TMJ, and it is an inflammatory disease that attacks the temporomandibular joint. This joint serves as a connecting link between the lower jaw bone of the temporal skull. It provides mobility and the correct functional of the jaw. Because of the action of specific factors, this joint can receive significant changes in its functioning, which will affect the work of the lower jaw. Often, the causes of the development of the disease are infections or various injuries.
The nature of the course of arthritis causes the isolation of several of its forms - chronic and acute. The acute traumatic form is caused due to a mechanical trauma: from sharp tearing of the mouth to a strong blow. An acute infectious form manifests itself against a background of viral diseases or hypothermia. Infectious arthritis can develop due to the penetration of infections into the joint cavity during the course of otitis, mumps, osteomyelitis and others. Chronic form develops over time, if not respond to the first manifestations of the disease and let it go to a neglected state.
Maxillofacial arthritis - symptoms of the disease
Maxillofacial arthritis has such features:
- Stiffness and significant disruption of a typical set of jaw movements up to a strong limitation of mobility. A similar state can be noticed after a long rest. For example, in the morning after waking up.
- Pain syndrome of varying intensity and magnitude in the joint zone, and sometimes felt in the ear or temples.
- Severe discomfort during palpation of the joint zone.
- Manifestations of characteristic articular noise - crunching or clicking.
- Some dysfunction of chewing and speech.
- Slight chin drift to the damaged joint. Reddening of the facial skin and puffiness.
- In the infectious form of the disease, the formation of seals.
- Partial or total hearing loss.
- Common symptoms.
Methods of treatment of the disease
The maxillofacial arthritis treatment treats depending on the form and neglect of the disease. For any type of disease in the initial phase of treatment, it is important to provide the patient with a maximum of rest. For this, special or homemade capillary dressings are used, complete with an interdental plate, which detaches the aftertaste for several days. At this time the patient receives a special diet, which consists of liquid foods.
Follow-up appointment is based solely on the form of the disease. If it arose from injury, the main task will be to remove pain, eliminate puffiness and restore the habitual functioning of the jaw. The patient receives a course of analgesic drugs, local hypothermia, UHF sessions, and possibly electrophoresis. Additionally, mud sessions, as well as the use of compresses and lotions, can be prescribed. If all of the above therapy has no effect, then the patient is prescribed procedures for the diadynamic currents of Bernard.
Treatment of maxillofacial arthritis of chronic forms is performed with the help of ultrasound, paraffin therapy, massages of masticatory muscles, and also electrophoresis with medical bile or bee venom. In this case, myo gymnastics can be very useful. That is, opening the mouth without using the functions of the lower jaw. In turn, it is immobilized with the help of a fist by pressing it on the chin area. This exercise should be performed during the day only for a couple of minutes.
Rheumatoid forms are treated in conservative ways, combined with curing other joints, according to the recommendations of a rheumatologist. The process takes place with the use of anti-inflammatory drugs. At the same time, sanitation of the oral cavity is performed, and sometimes there is even a need for prosthetics of the teeth to establish a normal bite.
Purulent arthritis of HCV is eliminated mainly by surgery in the hospital. In this case, the surgeon opens the site of inflammation and carries out its drainage. After this manipulation, physiotherapy is prescribed. First of all, UHF, heating with dry heat, various compresses and so on. It is important to remember that facial arthritis of this species, when untimely treatment is able to develop into a chronic form, and also cause a severe complication - ankylosis.
Nutrition during the disease
Patients with various forms of arthritis are usually advised to adhere to a special diet. In its composition, there are necessarily fresh roots, vegetables and fruits, as well as dishes from them cooked in a boiled form. Wonderful properties are given to the fruits of eggplant and beet juice, as well as asparagus and berries. The patient's condition improves with regular consumption of honey in May( about 50 grams per day).To sick joints a good service will be served by a simple cherry. Substances in its composition help to improve blood flow and strengthen blood vessels, thus reducing the risk of repeated hemorrhages. With any type of arthritis, grapefruit and apple juices are useful. And in general, the drinking regime for patients is very important. It is necessary to drink about a couple of liters of liquids a day.
Traditional medicine for facial arthritis
Use these recipes should be carefully, after consulting with experts in advance. In general, popular recipes exist very effective. They are used in the form of compresses, grits, broths and other.
Arthritis of the facial joint significantly weakens its signs with a decoction of sabelnik, elecampane, calgan. This requires the crushed roots of plants. Sabelnik takes a large spoon, and the rest of the rhizomes - on a small. All this is mixed and poured half a liter of boiling water, and then cooked about half an hour on a small fire. The product is insistently persistent and filtered. It should be drunk for 100ml.immediately after a meal. You can add honey or jam to the broth. With the same ingredients, it is not difficult to prepare another infusion. Take, too, the number of grass roots, and the thermos is stacked. Then the components are filled with half a liter of boiling water. The infusion is infused for several hours and filtered. Drink it should be before eating a large spoon. It is important to remember that the above means should be prepared taking into account consumption for about several days, because with longer storage their properties are lost.
But the basis of the buckthorn bark is a decoction. It takes about two spoons. They are mixed with the ground roots of fennel and dandelion, mint leaves. These crushed ingredients take two small spoons. Everything is mixed and poured half a liter of water. The resulting composition boils for about 15 minutes, and then takes two spoons before breakfast.
How to treat maxillofacial arthritis with folk recipes? You can use this sort of grind: one egg yolk of a chicken egg, a spoonful of turpentine, a spoonful of apple vinegar. Everything is mixed and rubbed into the affected joint.
Fir oil is not bad. Nim should rub the sore spot, and then make a compress of warm sea salt.