How to do massage with arthrosis of the kneeFor arthrosis of the knee joint, it is recommended to massage. Of course, it's better if you trust it to a specialist, but do not forget about the need for self-massage. This will allow you to relax your muscles and remove the pain from your feet after walking.
You can give only 10-15 minutes for each session, but do not do the procedures too often. Enough 2-3 times a day. There are basic recommendations, following which you will learn how to do massage with arthrosis of the knee joint alone.
Sequence of movements with massage
In order to correctly and effectively do at home massage of the knee joint, the following basic methods are used:
- Trimming. Promotes the acceleration of blood circulation and muscle relaxation.
- Mashing. Increases muscle tone, making them more elastic.
- Shaking. Allows to work on the muscles that are deeper than the rest and therefore not properly involved in the previous methods of massage.
It is a mistake to believe that massage with arthrosis consists only in affecting the knee joint. The surrounding muscles also work. When massage is also useful to knead the feet.
It is recommended to perform the massage in a certain sequence. First of all, they begin to work with the muscles located near the knee joint. All movements are performed from the bottom up to stimulate the outflow of blood.
At first, light strokes are made with grasping movements. Then do a light stroking on the sides of the knee, making small circular movements. After this, we begin stroking the entire surface of the joint.
Longitudinal movement of the fingers will provide deep warming of the joint
Further longitudinal rubbing with the pads of the fingers and cross - with the ribs of the palms. All triturations should be carried out in a gentle manner. You can do a shift in which the skin and the superficial muscles are shifted with the help of your hands. This exercise ends with easy dying strokes of the knee. This way you can do knee massage on your own.
Arthritis is a joint disease, one of the main causes of which is the inflammatory process. If you are diagnosed with this diagnosis, you need to pay close attention to this problem and tackle complex treatment. The appearance of arthritis can be due to the pathology or complication of other diseases.
Depending on the causes of the onset of the disease, appropriate treatment is prescribed. Apply ointments and compresses, which set a goal to remove the swelling and warm the joint. In more severe cases, injections, hormones and chondroprotectors are used.
There is a certain prevention that will help to avoid the disease or prevent complications:
- Avoid hypothermia of the feet and a long stay in cold water.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Give up bad habits and fight with excess weight.
- Periodically distracted to a warm-up, massage your knee, if you have to spend a lot of time standing or sitting.
In any case, if you are experiencing joint arthritis, you should consult a doctor. It is worth remembering that this is a widespread and quite serious disease that needs to be treated. But each type of disease requires its own treatment technology, as it occurs for various reasons.
Recovery after surgical intervention
One of the methods of diagnosis and further treatment of the knee joint is arthroscopy. At the moment, this procedure is one of the most effective in the treatment of arthrosis. This technique allows you to view the joint on the video in detail using a special camera.
Restoration after arthroscopy of the knee joint consists of massage of the knee joint and stimulation of the thigh muscles by electricity.
Physical exercises are recommended for the development of joint and muscle mobility, such as:
- lifting of the straight leg lying;
- lifting a straight leg while standing;
- contraction of the thigh muscles.
Exercise repeat at least 10 times. During the next exercise, we strain and relax the muscles of the thigh. You need to lie on your stomach, put the cushion under your feet and straighten your leg with effort. It is necessary to hold this position for 5-7 seconds. Number of repetitions: at least 10.
Hip joint massage
An effective treatment for arthrosis of the hip joint is massage. Before the beginning of the massage, it is necessary that the muscles are relaxed. Finger pads can make light rotational and longitudinal movements around the spine and the sacrum. Massage of the loin is done with the help of finger pads and phalanxes of fingers with rubbing and stroking.
Then we turn to the massage of the thighs. The procedure is stored in the same sequence. In this case, rubbing with the pads of the fingers is combined with grinding and kneading the muscles with the knuckles of the fist or the edge of the palm. At the end of this procedure, you need to do shaking and stroking the muscles of the thighs. Now that all these exercises have been completed, you can go directly to the massage of the hip joint.
It is used rubbing the base of the palm, dot kneading knuckles fingers. But you need to remember that the massage is performed in a gentle mode, since this site is very painful. The duration of the exercises should not exceed 10 minutes.
A large number of positive reviews received a vibrating massage, but remember that it is performed only after a manual massage. The period of vibration massage should not exceed 8 minutes. Thus, a complex massage of the hip joint is performed, which allows to remove pain, muscle tension and inflammation.
With timely medical intervention, you can avoid further disease progression, and even get rid of it. The main thing is not to engage in self-medication and adhere to the rules and recommendations that the doctor gives. Then you can forget about arthrosis of the knee joint. Good health!
Effective techniques for knee massage for arthrosis
Properly performed massage with arthrosis of the knee joint can significantly alleviate the unpleasant symptoms of this ailment. The great value of massage was known even in Ancient Greece, China and India. Today it is an excellent addition to the traditional methods of treating knee arthrosis.
Arthrosis of the knee( gonarthrosis) occurs due to premature wear of the cartilage of the knee joint. Massage is not able to repair cartilage, but it helps to restore the functionality of the joint and bring great benefits in the form:
- pain relief;
- muscle relaxation located near the affected joint;
- eliminating stiffness and restoring knee mobility;
- accelerate healing processes by improving blood circulation;
- leaching of toxic inflammatory substances causing pain and swelling.
Effective Massage Techniques for Knee Arthrosis
Patients with arthrosis of the knee joint are shown the following types of massage therapy:
- Japanese( Shiatsu),
During the massage according to the Shiatsu method, a dosed point physical load is simulated on certain( hard, painful) joint zones. Swedish and Russian techniques are similar in that they are characterized by the use of stroking and rubbing palms, but Swedish massage also includes the movements of the directly affected joint, thereby achieving a more pronounced effect. The Finnish technique is distinguished by the fact that all kneading movements are carried out with the thumbs.
The massage procedures themselves pursue the following objectives:
- remove the voltage;
- stretch muscles, ligaments and neurovascular connections;
- grind the seals in the tissues, remove the deposits from the joint;
- release muscles from venous blood;
- stimulate blood flow and lymph flow;
- improve the motor function of the knee.
For this, rubbing, kneading, squeezing, stroking, etc. are used.
Classical massage scheme for gonarthrosis
Important: Massage should be performed only by a qualified expert and only if the patient has no contraindications to this procedure.
To the surprise of many patients, a massage session for the treatment of gonarthrosis does not begin with manipulation on the knee. Before the masseur gets to him, other parts of the body must be well prepared. In the classical procedure, the stages of massage for arthrosis of the knee look like this:
massage of the lower part of the spine;
kneading muscles of the thigh of the leg on which the affected joint is located: 3-4 strokes are performed stroking, squeezing( with the palm of your hand or the fist's crest) movements;
shaking and stroking the muscles of the thigh, re-kneading, re-shaking and stroking.
strokes( usually circular) of the knee at the sides;
rubbing several species;
express massage of the thigh;
careful joint motion: flexion and extension;
rotational movements of the shin;
rubbing the knee with your fingertips.
easy stroking of the knee,
During the session, the patient should not experience pain. Especially effective are massage procedures conducted in warm water or during / after a visit to the sauna.
What is the real effectiveness of massage?
The positive effect of massage on gonarthrosis was demonstrated in a clinical study conducted at Yale University( USA).The study involved 68 adults with this diagnosis. Some patients attended classical Swedish massage twice a week during the first month and once a week during the second month of testing, the remaining participants led a habitual way of life and did not resort to massage procedures.
The results published in May 2006 were as follows: , the participants in the study who underwent a course of manual therapy significantly changed the indicators of soreness, stiffness, functionality, mobility and endurance of the joints. And even 2 weeks after the end of the course, the achieved effect was preserved.
In the second group of participants, all indicators remained unchanged.
In the early stages of the disease, massage can be considered even as an alternative to the medicamental treatment of knee arthrosis. Taking medication can be accompanied by negative consequences for the cardiovascular system, GIT, kidneys and liver. Manual therapy is safe in this respect, and at the same time it has sufficient efficacy.
LFK for osteoarthritis of knee joints: what you need to know
Therapeutic gymnastics in this disease is carried out in order to strengthen the musculoskeletal apparatus of the knee joint, without loading the joint itself. It is for this reason that the vast majority of exercises in the complex are performed from lying down or sitting on a chair.
To be engaged in physical therapy is allowed only if the disease is in remission - there is no redness, synovitis and severe pain in the affected joints. If signs of inflammation are present( osteoarthritis in the acute stage), you should first take a course of anti-inflammatory therapy in a hospital or outpatient and only then perform exercises.
Not all exercises are allowed for use by a particular patient. So before you begin, you should visit the attending physician-therapist, rheumatologist or arthrologist. Only a specialist "will give good" to the entire complex of exercise therapy or to prohibit certain exercises.
During the training you should not experience pain and especially you can not tolerate them. If the pain still appears, you should stop training, and during the next reduce the number of repetitions. In the event that even after these actions the pain persists, it is not superfluous to seek advice from a specialist.
It is necessary to carry out the exercises regularly - in 2-3 repetitions daily, without passes. Only this approach will help you to feel the result. The reverse side of the coin is overload. Do not think that a high number of repetitions will bring you closer to the desired goal. In this way, you will make yourself only worse - the disease will worsen or the degenerative process will accelerate.
Improvements today, tomorrow and even after a week of daily activities should not be expected - do not play yourself illusions. .. Because joints have been damaged and destroyed for many years, and even a partial restoration of the cartilage tissue also requires enough time. In parallel with the exercise of exercise therapy, follow other recommendations for the treatment of osteoarthritis: exclude increased dynamic stress on the knees( work in the garden, kneeling - not at all for you), conduct regular measures to strengthen the whole body - outdoor walks, restorative exercises. In any case, do not listen to "good" advice that the best medicine for osteoarthritis is charging for knee joints in the form of walking on all fours. It's just a huge load on your knees, as a result of which the osteoarthritis will get even worse.
If you are obese, you should start therapy of osteoarthritis not with exercise therapy, but with weight loss. Excess weight significantly increases the load on the knee joints, and until you normalize it, alas, you will not get a significant effect from medical gymnastics.
Rules for Classes
- Practice comfortable sportswear and sneakers in size, with a solid rubber sole 2-3 cm thick and a soft elastic top. Specialists do not recommend exercise barefoot, since in this case the risk of a foot injury increases.
- Perform each exercise smoothly, without jerking, focusing on the sensations in the diseased knee.
- Lifting and lowering your leg, imagine how the blood flows to the affected joint and feeds it with oxygen and other necessary substances, as a result of which it is restored. Relax the limb at the beginning of the workout. This will improve the flow of blood to the knee - doing exercises will be easier.
- Begin the course of exercise therapy with simple exercises, and as you become accustomed to such a load, you introduce more complex exercises.
- Each exercise is first performed slowly and with a low amplitude, gradually increasing these values.
- As it was said above, it is necessary to allocate 30-40 minutes for lessons every day, but not in one approach, and dividing them into 2-3 for 10-15-20 minutes. Between the approaches, the joint needs rest for 4-6 hours - so much time is needed that the regeneration of the damaged cartilage is completed successfully.
- When the complex of exercises is completed, it is recommended to lie down for a while with legs outstretched and relax. In addition, you can do a massage or self-massage of the knee joint area, the technique of which we will describe below.
Osteoarthritis of knee joints: a set of exercises
- Starting position( further - IP) - lying on the floor face down, legs straight, arms along the trunk. Smoothly lift one leg, without bending it, 15-20 cm from the floor, take it for half a minute, calm down, relax for 10-15 seconds. Do the same with the second leg. Replays of this exercise are not required, that is, the frequency of execution is 1 time.
- IP is similar to the first exercise. Smoothly lift one straight leg to a height of 15 cm, hold it for a few seconds, lower it again to the floor.1-2 seconds rest. Perform 10-20 times each leg in turn.
- IP - lying on the abdomen, arms stretched along the trunk. One leg is straight, the other is bent at 90 ° in the knee. Gently lift the second leg, not bending it in the joint, 10-15 cm from the floor and lock for half a minute, smoothly lower your leg, straightening it. Relax. Repeat with the other leg. Multiplicity of repetitions - 1 time.
- IP is similar to exercise 3. It should be done the same way, but with a pause not in half a minute, but only for 1-2 seconds. Having lowered the limb, relax for a couple of seconds and repeat 10 times with each foot.
- IP - lying on the back with straight legs and arms stretched along the trunk. Slowly raise your legs, not bending them, 10 cm from the floor, gently spread them to the sides, then reduce them. Do not lower your legs to the floor, but repeat your actions 8-10 times. Lower your legs. Relax. If you experience difficulties in doing this exercise, skip it.
- IP - lying on its side with a lower leg bent in the knee. Gently lift the upper leg 45 ° from the floor, hold it in this position for half a minute, smoothly lower, relax. Turn to the other side and repeat the exercise with the second leg.
- IP - sitting on a chair, legs bent at the right angle. Smoothly straighten the leg in the knee and lift it above the horizontal plane - as far as possible. Quit for half a minute-minute, gently lower your leg into the PI.Relax. Repeat the exercise for the second leg. Multiplicity of the exercise - 2-3 times for each limb.
- IP - standing, slightly touching the backrest in front of a standing chair. Rise to the socks and hold in this position for 60 seconds, and then smoothly return to the IP.Multiplicity of repetition - 1 time.
- PI and the technique of execution is similar to exercise 8, but it is necessary to linger, standing on the socks, for only a few seconds. Repeat exercise 10-15 times.
- PI - similar to PI in the previous exercise. As much as possible, rise on the toe of one leg( the second is on the floor with the entire foot), slowly change the position to the opposite, then "roll over" back. Repeat these steps for 60 seconds.
- IP - similar to the three previous exercises. Raise your toes as much as possible and the entire front part of the foot, keeping the support on the heels. Quit for 1 minute, smoothly return to the IP.
- PI and the technique of execution is the same, but it should be frozen in elevated position for only a few seconds, then for a moment relax and repeat the exercise. Multiplicity of repetitions is 10-15.
- IP - sitting on the couch or bed, with the left foot straightened in front of him and the right one lowered. Make a half-turn of the trunk to the left, putting his hands on the knee of his straightened leg. On exhalation, lean forward three times, pressing on the knee, as if trying to straighten it. Return to the IP.Repeat with the right foot.
- IP - sitting on the bed, straightening his legs, laying his hands on his knees. Maximize the muscles of the thighs, leave them in this state for half a minute, relax. Repeat 15-20 times. When the muscles of the hips are in tension, the popliteal fossa should be pressed against the bed.
self-massage technique As mentioned above, the final stage of each set of exercises should be a massage. It promotes the activation of blood flow in the region of the knee joints and accelerates the processes of regeneration of the articular cartilage. Ideally, massage should be done after taking a warm relaxing bath or visiting the sauna.
The intensity of the effects directly depends on the individual sensitivity of the tissues( you should not feel pain).
You can ask someone from your relatives to give you a massage session, or you can do it yourself, based on the following recommendations:
- The first stage is the massage of the muscles of the thighs. Each other follows the following massage effects: stroking, squeezing the knuckles of the fists and the edge of the palm, shaking, ring kneading. Repeat manipulations should be 3-4 times each.
- The second stage is massage of the knee joint area: it is necessary to perform stroking of the lateral areas of the joint, rubbing it with the base of the palm both rectilinearly and circularly.
- Third, fourth, fifth stages - less intensive and shorter massage of the muscles of the thigh, then again knee massage, and behind it - again a thigh massage.
- The sixth stage - active physical exercises: flexion and extension of the lower extremities in the knee joint 5-7 times, circular movements of the shin and foot.
- The final stage is a hip massage, and then - a knee joint.
Other physiotherapy for arthrosis of knee joints
When treating osteoarthritis, exercise therapy can be combined with other physiotherapy techniques. It is best for the joints affected by this disease, there are electrophoresis, ultrasound, laser and other types of phototherapy. From the methods of non-traditional treatment, experts recommend hatha yoga.
For a number of diseases, physiotherapy is contraindicated, since it can damage a patient's health. Such diseases are:
- severe cardiovascular pathology;
- acute inflammatory processes of any localization;
- pregnancy period.
In conclusion of the article we want to repeat: in spite of the fact that osteoarthritis is a progressively degenerative degenerative disease of the articular cartilage, adequate complex therapy, one of the leading places in which occupies therapeutic physical training, or LFK, will significantly slow down the pace of its development. Doing exercises regularly, day in and day out, while observing other recommendations for treatment, you will probably feel the result soon.
Video of the complex of exercises for the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joints.
Massage with arthrosis of the knee joint is one of the effective methods of treatment. Arthrosis is a disease of the cartilage tissue of the knee joint. Loss of elasticity, household overstrain, sports injuries, surgical intervention - all this can provoke the development of arthrosis. But it can be both congenital, genetically inherited, and as a pathology of the development of the musculoskeletal system. It is accompanied by painful mobility of the joints, bone crunching, swelling, impaired blood supply to the tissues, formation of excessive fluid, restriction of physical activity. Diagnosis of the disease is possible due to the traditional X-ray examination.
This method is quite effective. An additional study is ultrasound and CT.Treatment of the knees goes in combination with medications, physiotherapy, physical fitness and massage. Manual therapy necessarily goes along with physical rehabilitation. Relaxed muscles need to be strengthened. A systematic approach to the treatment of arthrosis optimizes the process of recovery, prevents the development of arthrosis of the shoulder and hip joints.
Features of massage
It should be noted that the treatment of arthrosis of knee joints is possible with the help of both medical, mechanical massage, and self-massage. The maximum effectiveness of the applied efforts can be achieved in several ways. It is necessary to consider some features of massage in the knee area:
- All manipulations must be performed on previously prepared joints. To do this, before the therapeutic massage, you just need to perform a set of health exercises, warm up the joints, take a warm bath, apply a warming compress, apply a warm water bottle, use a warming ointment for the joints or any massage oil.
- Massage both knees, even the one that does not hurt.
- To improve blood flow and supply all tissues with oxygen, it is necessary to warm up all the muscles of the body.
- For the massage of knee joints, there are techniques of rubbing, kneading, vibration, stroking the knees and legs as a whole.
- It should not cause any painful sensations, discomfort.
- After a massage, you must avoid physical exertion, rest.
- Swimming in warm water will remove the pain syndrome, prepare the patient's body for massage, strengthen muscles.
- Warm compresses before and after such therapy will improve the blood supply of tissues and the entire healing process.
- The duration of the procedure is from 10 to 20 minutes. Massage can be performed several times a day.
Methods and techniques of massage for arthrosis of knee joints
Various methods of massage for arthrosis are used. The most effective methods are considered to be the Swedish and Finnish system of methods. Both systems include techniques for stroking, grinding, kneading, vibration, both mechanical and manual.
Stroking is a kind of preparation of the skin for further action. Carried out at the end of the whole procedure, is a transition between massage techniques. It can improve blood flow, increase skin elasticity, reduce pain syndrome, reduce puffiness due to lymph drainage, reduce nervous tension. These movements will help to pre-distribute the means for massage: cream, oil or a warming ointment.
Rubbing is the next stage of the massage, more intense. It allows to activate the blood supply in the joints, reduce the painful sensations, start the recovery processes, affect the resorption of salt deposits. Promotes the expansion of the vessels of the skin, the active flow of blood to hard-to-reach places. It is made only in the direction of the lymph flow through the fingers or the entire palm.
Kneading is used for deeper massage. This method allows you to use deep muscles of the body, bring them into tone, increase strength, increase blood supply, relieve pain after a physical training. Relieves physical and nervous tension. Various techniques of kneading make it possible to efficiently process each part of the body. Starts recovery processes. It is important that this method does not cause uncomfortable sensations.
Vibrations have a beneficial effect on muscle relaxation, relieve stress, and affect deep muscles. In order to properly calculate the angle of incline and the force of vibrations, apply hardware vibration.
The necessary method is to unbend and flex the knee joint. This technique needs the most careful, accurate execution.
Massage massage can be performed independently after consultation of the chiropractor. The doctor will determine the required volume of the load, advise the massage, show the technique of massaging. Self-massage is not able to fully relax the muscles, but it stimulates normal blood flow, relieves pain and swelling.Back to the table of contents
Examples of techniques for massage movements for arthrosis of knee joints
Before the massage, it is necessary to warm up the whole body, which will improve the blood supply of all tissues, start the oxidation-reduction processes, improve the lymph flow. The massage session itself can be conditionally divided into periods:
- direct massage of the affected skin area;
Massage should be started from the waist up to the stop. Stroking movements, alternately combining zigzag and rectilinear stroking, to process the front and back surface of the thigh and the entire leg. Repeat these movements 3 to 4 times for both legs. Intensive rubbing the palm with the edge, combing the kulaks 3 to 4 times. Then you should proceed to a more intense reception kneading knees and adjacent tissues. Apply the technique of longitudinal tongular grasping and kneading with the help of the thumb, bent phalanges of fingers and fists. It is better to carry out these manipulations with both hands. Duration of admission depends on the appearance of redness of the skin, local increase in body temperature, sensation of heat, removal of pain syndrome. Next, you need to pat on the vibrating movement with both hands or the edge of the palms, and the brushes should be relaxed.
At the end of the treatment massage session, it is necessary to turn the knee, knee joint, passively flex and extend the leg in the knee and hip joint. After all, remove the tension stroking hand movements, straight and zigzag. Self-massage session takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
High concentration on movements and sensations will allow you to independently coordinate the strength, intensity of the massage.
After this, it is necessary to observe physical peace, do not load heated muscles. You can lie down, sit, just relax, postpone the next meal, or eat a light meal for the stomach. Massage itself is best done after 1.5 - 2 hours after eating. Auxiliary means can serve as a usual massage oil, as well as a medicinal preparation.
xBack to the table of contents
Therapeutic massage for completeness of medicinal properties must be done taking into account the state of health. It can not be performed during the period of exacerbation of chronic diseases, diabetes mellitus, varicose veins, skin diseases, fever, cardiovascular insufficiency, thrombosis. All health procedures must be supervised by a specialist. Temporary physical and emotional malaise is also a contraindication to massage.
An integrated approach to health improvement should include a proper diet, optimal water and salt balance, physical fitness, medications, therapeutic massage, regular physical activity and rest.