Causes of knee pain after childbirth
Almost every woman faces an unpleasant symptom during pregnancy and after childbirth - a knee pain. The causes of this phenomenon may be different, as are methods of combating morbidity.
The main causes of pain
During pregnancy, the mother's body is gradually reconstructed. All changes take place over a long period. Changes affect the musculoskeletal system: the load increases, the posture changes, the pelvis expands. After giving birth, reverse changes occur almost instantaneously. The load experienced by the mother's body from the weight of the baby no longer affects the musculoskeletal system.
In addition, there is a relaxation of ligaments due to a sharp change in the hormonal background. The woman's posture changes significantly due to relaxation of the abdominal muscles, which were stretched by an enlarged uterus. Because of this, there is an increased load on the knees.
An additional disadvantage is the need to often carry a child in his arms. Most women prefer to do this with the same hand. For feeding often have to take uncomfortable poses. All this increases the likelihood of pain in the knees.
The main causes of knee pain after delivery are:
- Excessive muscle strain caused by labor. In this case, the knees hurt throughout the recovery period.
- Knee joint dislocation. A woman can dislocate the joint involuntarily, which can lead to a pinched nerve.
- Anesthesia. If a woman is predisposed to joint diseases, knee pain can be a side effect of anesthesia.
- Because of the excess fluid in the body, which is often observed in nursing mothers.
The main manifestations of
Usually the pains develop by attacks. Soreness in the knees increases after physical exertion. A woman can be hurt to get up and sit down, that is, the greatest discomfort occurs when bending. As a rule, during the day the joints are sufficiently warmed up, because of which by the evening the pains pass.
When the joint is dislocated, the knees hurt very much. The pain is acute. It is recommended to consult a doctor to find out the exact cause of pain in the knees after childbirth, because the pathologies that can cause them are very similar in their symptoms.
How to deal with pain?
To get rid of pain in the knee joints, conservative methods of treatment and manual therapy are used.
Aerobic or exercise therapy can improve the effectiveness of the basic treatment of
The positive result depends largely on the timely treatment of the patient to the doctor.
Drug therapy is prescribed depending on the cause of the disease.
Basic advice for young mothers
To keep your knees up, it is advisable to begin to strengthen joints before pregnancy. Some exercises can be performed during pregnancy and soon after childbirth( provided that the recovery proceeds without pathologies).
To make the load on your knees not too strong, it is recommended that you follow these tips:We recommend that you read: Why do the knees hurt while walking up the stairs?
- Correct posture should always be maintained. Standing straight, the shoulders should be pulled back slightly, without lifting them. The top should be pulled upwards, and the chin should be parallel to the floor. In this position, the entire spine should be stretched. The smooth position of the body is maintained by the effort of the muscles of the buttocks, abdomen, pelvic floor. The thorax is pointing upwards. This position should be kept for better posture. In addition, the posture should be monitored continuously during daily activities.
- Performing lifts of any weight( including lifting on the hands of the baby) you need to monitor the position of the body. Leaning, the back should be kept flat, the hip and knee joints slightly bend. The main efforts should be on the muscles of the press and buttocks.
- Exercises for stretching. Performing moderate loads and stretching, a woman can ease her condition. This will relieve spasm from the muscles. You can pick up such exercises, for which you do not even need to get out of bed. This will help the young mother save time, which is most often not enough, or perform exercises even during pregnancy.
- Strengthening and development of muscles. It is recommended to perform daily exercises that will strengthen the muscular framework. This will positively affect the posture and condition of the musculoskeletal system as a whole. The simplest exercises include squats. They can be performed by leaning on the handle of the door or the back of the chair, so as not to overload the body too sharply.
Severe pain, swelling, fever in the joints or the body as a whole is an excuse to immediately seek medical help, as these symptoms indicate the presence of an acute inflammatory process.
To avoid knee pain after the birth, it is better to start exercising every day at the earliest stages of pregnancy. This will strengthen and prepare the joints for the load.
During pregnancy, the whole body of a woman undergoes significant changes, maintaining a colossal load. Therefore, one should not be surprised at the unpleasant sensations after the birth of the baby, as the systems and organs are gradually restored. The joints are not an exception to this rule. Many young mothers know firsthand how much their knees ache after delivery, especially after a long walk or squat. Why is this happening and what can be done to alleviate this pain?
Causes of pain
If, after giving birth, the knees hurt, it is better to understand why this happens to understand which of these sensations is the norm, and which ones are pathologies and require a doctor. In addition, knowledge of the factors that provoke pain in the knee joints, will help in the future to prevent them( if possible) when carrying the remaining children. Most often this happens for the following reasons:
- with the growth of the fetal posture of a woman undergoing significant changes, resulting in a load on the musculoskeletal system increases;on the knees and feet, the weight of the weight falls, which after the birth of the baby is sharply reduced: such swings have a bad effect on the joints, which causes them to get sick in the postpartum period( for the same reason, the back and coccyx hurt);
- sedentary lifestyle during pregnancy;
- uncomfortable carrying a child on one hand;
- feeding in an uncomfortable position;
- knees after childbirth are often sore due to a lack of calcium and other trace elements;
- softening of the ligamentous tissue in the knee joint under the action of relaxin - a hormone, intensively produced during pregnancy;
- involuntary dislocation of the joint, which could occur during childbirth due to sudden movements of the woman;
- improperly applied anesthesia, which can provoke an exacerbation of chronic diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
So the pain in the knees after birth can be a natural consequence of the processes occurring during pregnancy in the body of a woman. In this case, it is not necessary to panic: during the next month unpleasant sensations will pass.
But there are also such reasons, which are dictated by the unsuccessful course of labor( the effect of anesthesia or trauma) - in this case it will be necessary to consult the doctors. If the causes of pain in the misconduct of a young mother, she herself is able to fix it and remove a significant part of the load from the knee joints. How to do it?
complex of events All women who are faced with this problem are interested in what to do if the knee pains after the delivery, what steps to take to make it easier. A few useful tips will help to quickly cope with this trouble and forget about the pain.
- Always keep the posture
back should always be straight, shoulders a little laid back, chin is parallel to the ground, looking up top, the spine is stretched as much as possible, stomach and buttocks strained ribcage deployed.
- Do not perform sudden movements
When the child is lifting or heavy. Especially, if after knee pains knees ache during bending, you need to be able to perform safe lifting. Dropping behind the child, try to keep your back straight, smoothly and gently bending your knees. Keep the baby as close to the body as possible, and keep your back straight at this time. Use with such a rise the strength of all parts of the legs, not just the knees. Buttocks, press - everything should be actively strained.
- Female knees do not like rotation
This term in medicine is called rotational movements in the joint. So after giving birth, almost any load with a sharp turn can seriously injure them and increase pain. The most striking example of such a load for young moms is the turn of the stroller. With such movements, the body unfolds, while the feet remain in place. The load is in this case on the knees, which do not like this treatment and begin to ache.
- perform special exercises
A week after giving birth to her knees stopped hurting, you can start to perform specific stretching exercises that can eliminate spasms, lengthen the muscles in the morning to prepare them for the daily care of the evening - relax. Such gymnastics can be done right in bed after waking up or while the baby sleeps during the day.
- Reduce physical activity
As soon as you feel that your knees begin to ache after delivery, reconsider your physical activity. It needs to be limited. If possible, reduce household chores and caring for child care to a minimum. Ask to help in this family and friends.
- Sign up for a foot massage
Having told the master beforehand that your knees are aching after the birth. There are special massage movements that will help the joints recover much faster. If there is no possibility to visit a specialized massage room, let the muscles of the legs rub and knead someone in the evening. The simplest movements will normalize blood circulation, which will positively affect the condition of the knee joints.
- Make baths
If you hurt your knees, in the evenings it is useful to make warm, relaxing foot baths. This will remove the voltage from the foot. Add in them broths and infusions of various medicinal plants, which in this situation are superfluous will not be exact.
- Try alcoholic compresses
Pamper your knees with alcohol compresses so that they do not hurt. They can be done every time you feel the pain in the joints. Abundantly moisten a piece of cotton in vodka or alcohol, superimpose on the diseased knee, wrap with cellophane and tie with a bandage, scarf or handkerchief. During this compress the legs should be at rest, ie, you should sit or lie down at this time. In half an hour you can take everything off.
- Take medications that contain calcium.
If your knee joints hurt after delivery, be sure to use these tips to minimize pain and get rid of them as soon as possible. The faster you get back to normal, the more attention you can give to your baby. Those who plan to become a mother in the future for the second time will not be unpleasant to know what preventive measures are still useful during pregnancy to avoid pain in the knees after childbirth.
So that your knees and feet do not get sick after giving birth, you need to optimize the load on them even during pregnancy. Prevention of these painful feelings is much easier and more enjoyable than to go to doctors, not to sleep and suffer. As soon as the tummy began to grow appreciably( from 4-5 months), doctors recommend taking timely preventive measures so that after birth the knee joints do not cause any trouble for the mother:
- lead an active lifestyle;
- so that your knees do not ache after delivery, perform daily special exercises for pregnancy;
- in the presence of diseases of the musculoskeletal system, visit the doctor regularly, following all of his prescriptions;
- take calcium-containing preparations during pregnancy.
If, after giving birth, your knees hurt, try to understand the reason for these sensations and already take some measures in accordance with it. If this is a natural process of restoring the body after pregnancy, with the right way of life and the regime of the day of the young mother, the pain will soon go away. If this is a consequence of complications during childbirth, you will have to go to the doctors and be treated.
In any case, do not leave it to self, hoping that everything will pass without your intervention. Help your body recover as soon as possible after the stress it has endured.
Many women are faced with the fact that they have joint pains after childbirth, and the hands, feet, and even the pelvis. This prevents you from doing household chores, which with the birth of a child becomes more and more. Sometimes the sensations are so painful that the only desire is to get rid of them as soon as possible. Sometimes a young mother can do it herself, at home, and in some cases it becomes possible only after contacting a doctor. Initially, it is necessary to find out why the joints of the hands, pelvis or legs began to ache.
If the joints hurt after delivery, the reasons can be very different. They can be due to both the natural recovery of the body after the birth of the child, and unforeseen complications - for example, trauma or the consequences of anesthesia. It can be and home factors when physical loading on joints of the woman with a birth of the kid essentially increases.
The most common reasons why the joints of the hands and feet begin after giving birth are the following.
- Pain in the hip joints
If the hip joint hurts after the delivery, this is probably the consequence of the difficult passage of the child's birth canal when the pelvic bones of the woman diverge. To return to their previous position, it will take 1 or even 2 weeks.
- Sore feet
Very often in young mothers after childbirth aching leg joints - this is the consequence of the enormous burden that fell on their share during pregnancy. The fetus grew, weight increased, and all this, of course, wore on its poor legs. Pay is due to the birth of the baby, because the load, on the one hand, dramatically decreases( weight decreases), and on the other hand, the woman has to spend all day on her feet in caring for the baby. All this and provokes pain in the legs in the first 2-3 weeks after childbirth.
- Sore hands( kistm, fingers)
Much less often women suffer from joints of fingers( or brushes) after the birth of the baby. The origin of these pains can be different. First, during labor at the time of stress, fingers grab hold of the sheets, seat handles and other nearby objects. The grip can be so strong that the fingers are very long and unbearably painful. And the young mother may not even remember that there was such a fact. Secondly, after the birth of the child on the hand and fingers, a powerful load is placed in the form of constant wearing, rocking the baby, feeding it, washing and cleaning. This also explains the cause of the painful sensations in the joints.
- Pain in different parts of the body
There are other reasons why after joint delivery joints can hurt:
- lack in the body of calcium, which was all spent on the fetal formation of fetal bones;
- uneven load on various parts of the body after the birth of the baby( for example, incorrect posture when feeding the baby or constantly wearing it on his hands);
- natural recovery of the body after the transferred stress of 9 months;
- is a sedentary lifestyle during the childbearing period;
- softening in the joints of ligament tissue due to active production of the hormone relaxin;
- the consequences of anesthesia, if there were contraindications for its use, in particular - chronic, serious diseases and pathologies of the musculoskeletal system.
If pain in the joints after birth is a natural process of recovery of the female body after childbirth, within a month with the correct measures taken they will leave. If the matter is in the birth complications and injuries, without medical assistance here is indispensable. Otherwise, painful sensations can last and disturb the young mom with an indefinite amount of time. So it is useful for all women to know what to do if the joints of the hands and feet begin to ache after the birth.
What should I do?
As soon as you feel that your joints are hurting the arms and legs so that you are simply unable to further care for the newborn in full force, you need to take urgent measures. There are several ways how to pacify the pain after childbirth and return to the normal rhythm of life.
- Initially, you need to establish the cause of the pain and try to eliminate it. For example, it is correct to learn how to hold a baby while feeding.
- If after 2 weeks joint pain does not pass, despite all the measures you take, you will need to see a doctor. Perhaps, its cause is in the birth trauma, and you need qualified help.
- Begin to drink any kaltsetsoderzhaschy drug( well-established themselves Calcium D3 Nycomed, Perfectil, Imedin, Vitrum calcium, Calcemin, Pantovegir).
- Do exercises for the joints that hurt after delivery. There are specially designed complexes for the hands, legs and pelvis.
- Reduce physical stress on the problematic part of the body. If this is a pain in the hip joint, try to sit less: it is better to choose the pose of the floor. If the hands, hands, fingers, and pelvis are noisy, shift some of the household cares to the shoulders of someone close and home: washing, constant wearing and rocking the baby. If your legs hurt, limit yourself in walking. If it's your knees, you'll find all the necessary information in this article.
- You can register for a massage, having previously introduced the master to your problem. He can then pick up a special complex of visits for warming up and restoring the joints of a separate part of the body - hands, legs or pelvis.
If you set a goal - to bring your joints of the hands and feet back to normal after the birth, so that they do not hurt, help them to recover, it is quite real. Just systematically follow the above tips, and if the problem is not in trauma, you will soon be able to feel relief and pay all your attention and care to the baby. There are also several recommendations for the prevention of pain, which is better to spend even during pregnancy.
To prevent joints from hurting after childbirth, it is necessary to think about it in a timely manner, ie, even during the period of bearing the baby. If they help them cope with the increasing burden, after the birth of the child, they will be able to recover much faster and will not bring any special concerns. Moreover, all this is done in your power.
- Be sure to drink a course of multivitamins prescribed by your doctor during pregnancy. And even better - special calcium-containing drugs.
- If you are performing joint exercises during pregnancy to strengthen them and make them harder, after the birth they will be able to recover faster and thereby less trouble and trouble.
- If before the conception of the child you have had problems with the musculoskeletal system, during the whole pregnancy you will have to be observed by the attending physician( rheumatologist, surgeon, therapist).
- During all 9 months of bearing the child lead an active lifestyle: do special gymnastics, go in for swimming, walk more, breathe fresh air.
Now you know why the joints of the hands, legs and pelvis can be aching after delivery and how to deal with this problem quickly and effectively. Spread the load on the limbs and spine correctly in this difficult period, and then their recovery will go at an accelerated pace, making life easier for you and the baby.