What to do if the leg hurts from the hip to the knee
If the leg hurts from the hip to the knee, as a rule, the pain is periodic. In some patients, their appearance is associated with excessive physical exertion, others do not pass pain almost never. Pain can interfere with walking, combined with a loss of sensitivity, localized in a particular area - for example, in the groin or upper part of the thigh. Many patients who have a leg ache from the hip to the knee erroneously attribute their sensations to problems with the lower back or urogenital system.
Possible causes of
Pain in any part of the body indicates some problems in the body. If you are sure that discomfort is not related to injury, be sure to sign up for an appointment with an orthopedist and rheumatologist. Drawing pain in the legs is often due to arthrosis of the hip joint or coxarthrosis. Doctors say that this diagnosis is put to about thirty percent of patients who turn to a clinic with a pain syndrome. As a rule, the disease develops slowly enough. However, after excessive physical exertion, trauma or even severe stress, the course of coxarthrosis accelerates. Most often it is registered in women over forty.
If you have a leg or leg that hurts from the hip to the knee due to coxarthrosis, the pain can spread to the buttocks and knees. It arises mainly when walking, but in a state of rest is not manifested. In addition, this disease is characterized by limited mobility. Almost all patients are not able to pull up a sick leg to the chest - when trying to hear strong crunch in the joint. If the disease is started, the affected leg can become much shorter than the healthy leg.
When the leg hurts from the hip to the knee, this can mean that the person has a heart attack of the hip joint. This term in medicine denotes the death of the corresponding bone. The second variant of the cause of pain is necrosis of the femoral head. It should be noted that it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between these two diseases even to a qualified specialist. Necrosis usually develops quickly, therefore it is possible to establish its presence within a couple of days after the beginning of the process. Among the most common symptoms can be called pain in the external surface of the thigh, and the limitation of mobility and characteristic crunch is not noted.
Spine injuriesLower leg pains are often caused by lumbar injuries. Pain sensations in this case are localized in the thigh, and from there they "slide down" along the entire leg. Most patients note that pain syndrome is especially pronounced at night.
Compared with the previous, this reason is not so common. As a rule, its occurrence is provoked by the recently transferred influenza and is accompanied by high fever, weakness and constant pain in the shoulders.
They can differ in different origins - from Bechterew's disease to jet lesions of joints. In this case, pain and stiffness of movements appear after a night's sleep, and during the day, when walking, almost do not remind of themselves.
Pain in buttock - causes, symptoms, treatment
Symptoms that may indicate serious health problems
In some cases, pain in the buttock may occur along with other symptoms indicative of a serious or even life-threatening condition, the degree of dangerwhich should be immediately evaluated by emergency specialists. Call an ambulance immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- bloody stools or severe intestinal bleeding;
- inability to walk or weakness in the legs;
- weakness in the leg or thigh, paralysis.
What causes pain in the buttock?
Pain in the buttocks can be caused by a number of factors. For example, staying in a sitting position for a long time can cause numbness in the buttocks. Excessive physical activity can lead to painful stretching of the ligaments and stretching of the gluteal muscles.
Pain in the buttock can also develop as a result of other injuries, and also be associated with certain pathologies, diseases and conditions that cover the buttocks or other related areas, such as the pelvis, coccyx, thigh, upper leg or lower back. Pain in the buttocks, caused by pathologies or diseases of the spine and other structures, is called "reflected" pain.
- Intervertebral hernia of the lumbar spine
The most common cause of pain in the buttock. The condition is associated with the infringement of the sciatic nerve, which passes in the thickness of the muscles of the gluteal region. Often accompanied by pain in the lower back, thigh, lower leg and foot. The pain is usually one-sided and can be very intense. Often, instead of the correct diagnosis, a pear-shaped muscle syndrome is established, the existence of which is controversial. In this case, the treatment goes on the wrong path and the condition gradually worsens, the intervertebral hernia grows, and the likelihood of vertebrogenic disability increases. The disappearance of pain in the lumbar hernia is not always a positive symptom, as the pain can descend to the foot and go to the foot, which is a sign of the progression of the disease.
- Traumatic causes of pain in the buttocks
Pain in the butt can be caused by injuries or injuries resulting from an accident, certain activities or exercise. Such reasons include:
- fracture or displacement, for example, coccyx, hip, pelvis, lumbar spine or femur;
- trauma, abrasion or lacerations of the buttocks, hip or rectal area;
- muscle spasms in the gluteal muscles;
- sprained or torn ligaments in the thigh or lumbar spine;
- stretched or torn tendons or muscles in the groin, lower back, and stretching of the hamstring;
- tendonitis( tendon inflammation).
- Other diseases and conditions that cause pain in the buttock
Pain in the buttocks can also be caused by diseases, disorders or other conditions, including:
- anal abscess( infected, pus-filled abscess located near the anus);
- anal fissure( a small painful crack in the anus);
- arthritis of the thigh;
- cancers of the pelvic bones;
- bursitis( inflammation of the synovial bag that protects the joint).Bursitis can be caused by sitting for a long period of time on a hard surface;
- compression syndrome, as a result of which blood supply to the nerves and muscles is impaired;
- fibromyalgia( a chronic condition that causes pain, stiffness or tenderness in the muscles, tendons and joints,
- gemmora( inflamed inflamed veins in the anus or rectum),
- pylonidal cyst( a soft pouch that forms on the coccyx and subsequently becomes infected and filled uppushevidnoy muscle
- ( pain, tingling or numbness in the buttocks caused by sciatica)
- sciatica( burning, shooting pain coming from the buttocks down the back of the leg caused by a pinchedNervous spine with degenerative disc disease in the lumbar spine, intervertebral hernia or protrusion, tumor, infection)
- herpes zoster( a painful disease caused by the chickenpox virus)
- spinal stenosis( stenosis)
Diagnosis of pain in the butt
Diagnosis of the underlying causepain in the buttocks begins with a visit to the doctor. The doctor makes a medical history and conducts an examination.
For diagnostic purposes, your doctor may ask the following questions:
- in which part of the buttocks do you feel pain or discomfort?
- when did the pain begin?
- Which actions cause pain or contribute to the intensification of symptoms?
- do you have any other symptoms?
After a medical history and examination, your doctor may refer you to additional examinations. If a suspected intervertebral hernia or other diseases of the lumbar spine, the doctor can recommend conducting magnetic resonance imaging( MRI) or other radiological studies. At the moment, the gold standard for diagnosis of diseases of the spine is MRI.With the help of MRI it is possible to assess the condition of all structures of the spine: bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons and muscles.
Treatment of pain in the butt
Treatment of pain in the buttock is directly related to the cause of pain symptoms. In diseases of the spine, in most cases, conservative treatment is carried out, including therapeutic physical training, massages, stretching of the spine, etc. Rarely, patients with large intervertebral hernias or threatening symptoms( weakness in the leg, "sagging" of the foot, numbness in the groin, loss of control over urination and defecation) are indicated by surgery.
Possible complications of pain in the buttocks
Complications of pain in the buttocks vary depending on the underlying cause. The pain in the buttocks, caused by a slight stretching, is usually well suited to home treatment( rest, applying ice).
In some cases, untreated pain in the buttocks caused by serious conditions, such as a spinal fracture or a hip fracture, can lead to complications. You can minimize the risk of serious complications, following the curative plan drawn up by the doctor.
Complications of untreated pain in the gluteal region are:
Pain in the leg muscles - causes, nature, treatment
Feeling of pain in the muscles of the feet at least once worried each person. Their appearance may be the result of heavy loads on the limbs that caused muscle fatigue, or become a signal of the emergence of other health problems. They can be localized at the top of the leg, in the lower leg or scattered throughout the limb. Usually, such painful sensations indicate the appearance of problems, both with the muscles, and with the vessels, joints, tendons or lumbar spine.
Pain in leg muscles, causes of
Frequent cramping at night in children and adolescents is a consequence of the stress drops on arterial and venous vessels. This is due to the physiology of the growing organism and is explained by the intensive circulation of blood during the period of the infant's motor activity during the day, and by a sharp decrease in the tone of the vessels during sleep. Easy massage of the lower leg will improve blood flow and remove unpleasant stiffness. Formation of elastic fibers of blood vessels to 10-12 years of life will be completed, and night muscle spasms will pass independently.
But with pain in the muscles of the legs in a child caused by orthopedic abnormalities, a thorough medical examination and treatment is required.
Also the causes of pain in the leg muscles can be such common vascular diseases as:
- Atherosclerosis is an arterial disease associated with the delay and accumulation of cholesterol plaques on their inner shell. The appearance of seals and thickenings on the walls of the vessels is associated with a violation of metabolic processes, and it can also be a consequence of spasms of arteries, provoked by hypertensive disease. A feature of atherosclerosis is the sensation of cold feet all year round, while muscular pain has a contracting character and is strengthened when walking;
- Varicose veins caused by increased blood pressure in vessels with a slowing of blood flow. Often worried about women, especially during pregnancy, a feeling of heaviness in the legs. Symptoms of the disease begin to manifest in the early youth by burning, convulsions, and pain in the calf muscles. The chronic form - thrombophlebitis - is of great danger. Inflammation of the inner veins of the veins leads to the formation of blood clots, which irritate the nerve endings, show themselves lomising, pulling pain. The disease can affect the deep and superficial veins. With varicose expansion of superficial veins, the skin shows characteristic bluish seals along the vessel, deep vein involvement is always accompanied by edema of the hearth;
Pain sensations in leg muscular tissues can also be caused by pinch of the sciatic nerve when discs or an intervertebral hernia is displaced. The constant irritation of the roots of the inflamed sciatic nerve can permeate the entire leg to the tips of the fingers with a sharp, evolving pain.
Treatment is selected depending on the source of pain, only on the basis of magnetic resonance diagnostics.
Pain in the muscles of the leg
If the leg muscles hurt for no reason, this does not mean that it does not exist, but indicates a person's inattention to one's health.
The calf muscles are considered to be the strongest in the muscular structure. Performing an important function in the human musculoskeletal system, daily undergo loads of varying severity. Located on the back of the shin, they are in close relationship with the nervous and vascular system of the body. This explains the pain in the calf muscles as a sharp reaction to the change in the state of each of them.
It is important to note that often the pain in the leg muscles is a consequence of the passive, sedentary lifestyle of a person.
Prolonged sessile or associated with a stationary standing leads to a violation of blood circulation, it causes stagnation, oxygen starvation, intoxication of blood. Persistent disregard for preventive measures that normalize the operation of blood vessels can lead to very serious consequences.
Sick leg muscles - treatment, prevention
If leg muscles hurt, treating each pathology involves preliminary accurate diagnosis and strict adherence to doctor's recommendations. Conservative methods are effective at an early stage. As a preventive measure - a diet that excludes sharp, fatty, fried foods, a categorical refusal of alcohol and nicotine, systematic performance of metered exercise. Accurate diagnosis and effective treatment will ensure a complete medical examination.
In cases of pain in the muscles of the legs, joints and tendons can become the cause of inflammation of the joints and tendons as a result of overloads and injuries:
- Bursitis( inflammation of the periarticular bag and accumulation of synovial fluid in it) of the joints of the lower extremities - the inflammatory process can spread to muscle tissue, causing pain in them, andwith a strong exacerbation accompanied by an increase in body temperature. Infectious bursitis is treated with certain types of antibiotics, noninfectious - anti-inflammatory drugs, in both cases, if necessary, the liquid is pumped out;
- Myositis is a disease caused by muscle inflammation. Aching pain limits their contraction, causes protective tension and, as a result, muscle weakness. Forced stiffness can provoke the appearance of skin hyperemia. With myositis, leg muscles above the knees are sore. Most often it manifests itself as a complication of viral infections, such as influenza or angina. Treatment involves local use of painkilling ointments, dry heat and rest, taking analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs. Rehabilitation will speed up the foot massage. Myositis can carry a purulent and parasitic etiology. But it should be taken into account, if the muscles of the legs ache above the knees, it can also be provoked by a number of other pathologies.
- Seizures are a sharp muscle contraction that can cause pain in the muscles of the legs. Sudden acute painful sensations like folding them when sipping in bed or changing the position of the legs after a long period of immobility. With a gentle kneading of the frozen area, the tissues gradually relax. A good treatment for pain in leg muscles caused by cramps can be its prevention. A diet rich in proteins, limiting salt, abundant water intake. In order not to disturb blood circulation, it is necessary to try to sleep on the left side, and sitting - not to cross legs. Contrast baths for the lower extremities favorably affect the blood circulation and general condition, promote hardening of the body.
- Flattening is a pathology associated with an irregularly formed plane of the foot, which leads to the loss of its functions and is the cause of rapid fatigue with minor loads. The disease comes from the wrong shoes. It often happens in women who prefer high heels, which disrupt the posture and load distribution on the feet. Pain in the muscles of the legs can be very strong, accompanied by cramps and swelling.
Therefore, the opinion that the leg muscles ache for no reason is wrong. First of all, it is necessary to pay attention to your weight, it often provokes disturbances in the vascular system and other pathologies. The discomfort of any etiology should always be perceived as a signal of the body about the violation of health and respond to it in a timely manner.
Found an error in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
What to do with pain in the leg muscle from the knee and above?
Pain in the leg above the knee can be the result not only of damage to the joint itself( for example, cartilage cartilage or sprain), but also other diseases or inflammatory processes, including small blood vessels( vasculitis).Sometimes pain spreads to the knee due to damage to the hip joint or the femur-toothed joint. Often the cause of the malfunction is the spine pathology, imbalance of different muscle groups or developing rheumatic disease. As can be seen, there are a lot of reasons for aching the legs above the knees, the final diagnosis can be made only after examination and comparison of all the symptoms - the intensity of pain, the presence of edema and so on.
Regardless of what causes pain in the leg above the knee, adequate help can be provided by osteopaths who practice a holistic approach to the body.
search for thrombus or sclerotic plaques
To the doctor. . it is not enough that it is