The correct exercises for scoliosis, the five rules of medical gymnastics
No modern medicine can perform the tasks of exercise therapy in scoliosis. Regular exercises help:
- to return elasticity and strength to the muscles that need it, to form a muscular framework of the spine;
- relieve the pathological tension from the muscles;
- to stop the progression of the disease( increasing the angle of curvature of the spine);
- intensify the work of the cardiovascular system, improve breathing;
- reduce or completely remove lateral curvature of the spine.
That is why therapeutic physical training in scoliosis is the leading method of conservative treatment, that is recognized by orthopedists and vertebrologists( specialists in the problems of the spine) all over the world. Complexes of exercises are used as the only and independent therapy for correcting the pathological bending of the spine at the initial stages of the disease. They must be used in the complex treatment of 3 and 4 stages of scoliosis.
In the vast majority of cases, scoliosis develops during the period of intensive growth of the child. At this time, all segments of the spine are quite unstable, so the physical impact on them should be extremely professional and extremely cautious. Otherwise, you can cause serious harm: aggravate the angle of curvature, pinch internal organs, disrupt the work of the heart or respiratory system.
To make sense of the exercises, the exercises should be selected taking into account the pathology in which the spine section. They must be performed regularly, but the instructor should teach the technique of execution.
Read more: four kinds of loads in a complex of gymnastics in scoliosis, the five most effective exercises in the treatment of pathology from Swiss vertebrologists.
Five rules for exercise therapy
It is important that the gymnastics in scoliosis correspond to five special requirements, which must be taken into account when designing the treatment complex.
The most important thing is to exclude all kinds of exercises that can aggravate the condition of the spine:
- pulling up and hanging on the crossbar or the Swedish wall;
- elements of acrobatics: flip-flops, jumps, exercise "swallow";
- weight training with weights and dumbbells;
- fast running;
- all kinds of jumps;
- torso rotation in an upright position.
The first classes are held at a slow pace. It is necessary to constantly pay attention to the reaction of the body to each exercise.
The loads and the number of repetitions are set gradually: so as not to overstrain the muscles and spine.
Exercises should only be designed for passive spinal traction.
Regular alternation of exercises for the muscles of the shoulder girdle with exercises for the lumbar region and legs.
All prescribed by the doctor exercises for scoliosis should be performed daily, without interruptions. After classes, make sure you have a half-hour rest, lying on your side.
Three stages of training with scoliosis
Each exercise of exercise therapy in scoliosis is strictly in accordance with the training plan, which allows you to achieve the maximum effect from each exercise.Stage of study Objectives of
1. Warm up
Preparation of ligament apparatus for carrying out basic loads, stimulation of blood circulation in muscle tissues, setting the rhythm of respiration.
2. Basic loads
Correction of pathological curvature, stimulation of motor activity of muscles, restoration of normal functions of internal systems of the body.
Gradual decrease in the load, restoring the habitual rhythm of breathing.
At each stage of the exercise, the physician of the exercise room pays special attention to proper breathing. This is important for stimulating the work of the lungs and additional flow of oxygen to the muscles.
Exemplary set of exercises
Remember that every element of physiotherapy in scoliosis is selected individually. The complex presented in the article is an example of a standard occupation.
1. Warm up
All exercises begin with straightening of the back: press against any flat vertical surface with your back;check that it touches the calves, buttocks and shoulder blades. Try to memorize the position of your body and not change it;back out in two steps.
And now the exercises themselves:Starting position( IP) Technique for performing
Stand upright, feet shoulder width
Raise both hands simultaneously, spread them apart and slightly back. Repeat 4 times.
Stand up straight, legs together, hands on the belt
Alternately bend the legs in the knees, lifting them slightly upwards, then take a shallow squeeze. Repeat 3-5 times.
Walking in place. Do not raise your knees high while walking. At the expense of "one, two," breathe in, into "three, four" - exhalation. During an inspiration, raise your hands through the sides upwards, gradually lower them when exhaling.
2. Basic exercisesIP Technique for performing
Lie on your back, hands behind your head
Inhale elbows spread apart, on exhalation take the initial position. Repeat 5 times.
Bend one leg and pull the knee to the stomach, repeat the same with the other foot, then - both together. Repeat 3-4 times.
Lie on your stomach, pull your arms at the seams, palms rest on the floor
On inspiration, leaning on your hands, try to lift one leg up as far as you can. On exhalation, return to the starting position. Repeat with the other foot. Exercise at least 3.
Lie on your back, arms extended above your head.
Passive stretching. On inhaling, try to pull your head and shoulders up, and your legs at this time down.
Lie on your belly
Simultaneously simulate movements while swimming with your hands and feet.
3. Final ExercisesИП Technique for performing
Stand up straight, hands on belt
Walking in place. While walking on inspiration, raise your hands up and at the same time go to walking on your toes. On exhalation, lower your arms and step on your heels.
Walk high up your knees.
An approximate set of exercises for the treatment of scoliosis.
Click on the photo to enlarge.
Top Five Exercises for Scoliosis
Swiss vertebrologists and orthopedists together with LFK specialists have developed a set of exercises, the implementation of which allows the most effective effect on the main muscle groups, increasing their elasticity and elasticity.Why do I run the Technique
For back muscles
For lateral muscles
For abdominal muscles
Lie on your back, hands at the seams. Raise one leg without bending the knee, and hold it for a few seconds. Repeat with the other foot, too. Then lift both feet together. Start with 3 times, increasing the load up to 7 times.
For correcting the posture
Lie on your back. Feet together, hands along the body. Raise your shoulders and head for a second. Lower slowly, without jerking.
For straightening the spine
Prepare a small bag of sand in advance, no more than 1 kg. Sit on a chair and arrange the package not to the head so that it does not fall. Slowly get up and walk a little, holding the bag on your head.
Kinds of exercise therapy
Lateral curvature of the spine is a heavy load for the ligament apparatus. In paired muscles, there are significant differences in tension. The convex side of the muscle is constantly toned, which gradually leads to a loss of contractility. Their paired "opponents" on the other hand, on the other hand, always stay in a shortened, relaxed state. The absence of movements weakens them and can gradually lead to atrophy.
Therefore, physical therapy for scoliosis should include four types of loads:
Unbalanced. Calculated for muscle training only on one side of the trunk, while the opposite muscle group is relaxed.
Symmetrical. Help maintain the spine in anatomically natural position. The load is distributed equally on the muscles on both sides, as a result, they tone out, which has a positive effect on the dynamics of the alignment of the spine.
.They help to remove the tone from the strained muscles and stimulate the work of the relaxed.
Common restorative. Stimulate the immune system, enhance the endurance and physical development of the whole body.
The effect will be 100%!
The effectiveness of treatment of exercise therapy in scoliosis depends on a conscientious attitude to occupations, strict compliance with all prescriptions of the attending physician and constant control of his posture.
Source: http: //yourspine.ru/ lfk-pri-skolioze.html
Is it possible to treat scoliosis at home and how to do it?
Treatment of scoliosis at home should be combined with medical methods. It is better to start therapy of pathology in the early stages, when gymnastic exercises can still return the axis of the spine to a physiological position.
The danger of the disease lies in the fact that the displacement of the spine in the frontal( lateral) plane leads to disruption of the internal organs with sad consequences.
Treatment of scoliosis at home should be made due to the fact that, in addition to external cosmetic defects, the pathology leads to the following changes:
- Chest deformation;
- Reduction of respiratory capacity of the lungs;
- Increased risk of heart disease due to excessive pressure on it;
- The risk of congestive changes in the gallbladder increases;
- There are difficulties with conception and bearing of a child in women.
Correction of scoliosis of the 1st degree of the house
The basis for the treatment of lateral curvature of the spinal column is therapeutic gymnastics. It allows you to create a strong muscular back corset that will support the spine in the right position. With the help of exercises with a 1-degree curvature( deformation angle not more than 10 degrees), one can achieve complete cure of the pathology. With the right selection of gymnastics, a recovery effect can be achieved in 2-3 months.
There are many exercises in the global network for the treatment of frontal deformation of the spinal column. It should be preferred only to those of them that are aimed at correcting the vertical axis of the trunk and strengthening the muscular corset of the back.
Principles of gymnastics in scoliosis:
- When treating 1 degree of disease at home, weights are not used. With a special desire, the maximum allowable weight of bars or weights should not exceed 5 kilograms for men and 3 kg for women. Exercises with weights should be performed only while standing;Addition to gymnastics can be Pilates or Hatha Yoga. Due to special algorithms of movement, these exercises will speed up the process of recovery. The most optimal complexes for the treatment of lateral curvature of the spine with the help of Pilates are developed by Lana Poli;
- The basis of gymnastics in pathology is a combination of static poses with slow movements, wiggles for the gluteal and dorsal muscles. According to the curative effect in this situation there are no equal asanas of yoga;
- Lana Polley and Paul Bregg recommend supplementing the exercises in the treatment of frontal deformation of the spinal column by respiratory gymnastics. They eliminate the displacement of the ribs and chest;
- The duration of one lesson should not exceed 40 minutes. The first few days in class at home should be given to the development of the right postures and techniques for doing exercises.
Manual therapy is difficult to conduct at home. Even if you hire a fine specialist in this field, he still will not be able to properly carry out the procedure, because for this you need specialized equipment( a couch, a massage table, simulators for PIR( muscle relaxation)).
Manual therapy is only an additional method of treating the disease and can not effectively replace gymnastics. The use of the technique for lateral curvature of the spine is observed only in the presence of deformities in the bone system in a person. For example, with the displacement of pelvic bones.
Elimination of the curvature of the spine of the 2nd degree
With the 2nd degree of pathology it is rational to wear orthopedic corsets in combination with gymnastic exercises.
Basic principles of therapy:
- Gymnastics for correction of the spine and strengthening of the back muscles according to Bregu, Dikul, Bubnovsky or Paley. The use of gymnastics for a given degree of pathology is difficult to completely correct the curvature.
- Application of corsets Abbot-Sheino;
- Breathing exercises for Katarina Schroth;
- If the deformity develops rapidly, the initial task is to stop the progression. For this purpose, rigid orthopedic fixators are used.
Additional procedures: massage, electrostimulation of muscles, manual therapy.
The initial task of a person when trying to treat a disease at home is to reduce the degree of curvature to 1 degree. Usually this takes from 5 months to 1.5 years, depending on the persistence of the person, the regularity and correctness of the exercises.
What to do with 3 and 4 degrees of deformation of the spinal column
At home, it is difficult to treat the frontal curvature of the vertebral axis 3 and 4 degrees. The minimum task here is to stop the progression of the disease. With regular exercise, you can count on eliminating 2-3 degrees from the pathological arc of curvature. It should be borne in mind that it is necessary to constantly wear orthopedic corsets and breathing exercises according to Schroth.
In most cases, with scoliosis of grades 3 and 4, doctors prescribe surgical treatment, since the probability of severe complications of pathology is very high. The lateral curvature of the vertebral column with an angle of more than 60 degrees leads to gross violations of the heart and lungs.
In conclusion, we present 5 exercises that Paul Bregg recommends in scoliosis:
- The effect is on the upper part of the spine. Lie down on the horizontal plane face down. Place your hands under your chest, and place your feet on the width of your shoulders. Gently lift the trunk up and arched back arched, leaning on the toes and palms. Then, lower the pelvis and tilt the head back. Save the position for 1 minute and return to the starting position;
- The starting position, as in step 1. After lifting the pelvis up, turn it to the right and then to the left. In doing so, try to lower the side, as low as possible. Perform the exercise slowly with the maximum twist of the pelvis;
- To remove the residual voltage. Sit on the floor and place your hands behind your back. Raise the pelvis with the support of the straight hands. Follow the procedure quickly. Try to lift the body as much as possible up. Number of repetitions: 6-8;
- To strengthen the lower part of the spine. Lie on your back, stretch your legs and take your hands to the sides. Bend your knees and wrap your breasts around them. Push your hips and knees from your chest, but hold them with your hands. Touch the knees with your chin. Lock the position for 5 seconds. Number of repetitions: 3-4.
- For stretching the spinal column. Stand on all fours and walk around the room from one wall to another.
Treatment of scoliosis at home should be carried out regularly, even if you have 1 degree of curvature. Therapeutic gymnastics is an excellent tool for the prevention of diseases of the spine.
Exercises for scoliosis of all degrees for any level of physical fitness
Physiotherapy is prescribed for almost any disease of the musculoskeletal system in general and the spine in particular, as it is aimed at strengthening the muscular corset of the back. Scoliosis is by no means an exception. Exercises for scoliosis are suitable for both the therapy of this disease, and for the treatment of this, and regardless of its degree.
- 6 Total
Exercises to correct scoliosis are used for any degree of the disease: from 1 to 4, however, it is important to remember that the gym complex can not be assigned to oneself independently, and even more so to prescribe it for children. Physical exercises are appointed individually by the attending physician depending on the degree and type of scoliosis( in the thoracic, right-sided, left-sided, kyphosis - it is kyphoscoliosis - different treatment).It is dangerous enough to choose your own exercises at home without consulting a doctor.
Scoliosis can carry dangerous consequences for the body.
Exercises for the back in scoliosis, not agreed with the doctor, can not only not do good, but also cause harm - so they can not be done simply for reasons of one's own will. Even a specially prescribed gymnastics can cause pain or discomfort - that's why it's important that you immediately contact your doctor about this, you can not continue training without consulting.
Scoliosis does not tolerate irresponsibility. From incorrect exercises, the disease can only worsen: an incorrect intensity of stretching the muscles or movements of the spine provokes the progression of the disease and the transition to a higher degree( from 1 to 2 or even 3).That's why you need to know exactly what exercises are worth doing, and which ones are not suitable for this disease. Also it is worth remembering that, against structural and organic changes, corrective physical education will not help and this problem will not be eliminated in this way.
Treatment at home can be done only with scoliosis 1 degree( for 2 and 3 consultation is necessary), and you can perform symmetrical basic exercises.
Combination with sport
The development of scoliosis in humans prevents the use of various sports that must strengthen the muscles of the back. This is especially recommended for children in the active period of growth and for people in the early stages of the disease, in order to prevent the development of the disease further.
Swimming, massage, gymnastics, physiotherapy exercises - all this helps to develop a muscular corset, strengthen the musculoskeletal system, securely fix the spine and develop a posture, which, in turn, helps to prevent injury to internal organs.
It is good to combine the treatment of scoliosis not only with sports, but also with techniques for correcting posture.
However, it is important to remember that not every sport is suitable for this disease. Prohibited:
- mobile games;
- running( especially at 3 and 4 degrees);
- sports dances;
- all kinds of weightlifting;
- squats on one leg;
Complex of physiotherapy exercises for scoliosis
Exercises for the back in scoliosis are selected, taking into account the specifics of the disease.
With thoracic scoliosis and the curvature of the lumbar spine, it is required to develop the muscles of this area, which will compensate for the distortion and stabilize the spine.
With scoliosis of the 1st degree, various symmetrical exercises and various kinds of sports are possible, except those forbidden above.
With scoliosis of the 2nd degree, the complex of exercises is aimed not only at fixing the stability of the spine, but also on developing muscles and correcting the deformation.
With the 3 degree of scoliosis, the procedure is not only to eliminate or maximize the deformation, but also to improve the overall physical indications of the patient. This is a complex complex of general strengthening and corrective exercises.
Scoliosis is asymmetric. There are curvatures in the right and left sides. With left-sided scoliosis gymnastics is aimed at maintaining balance and improving balance, and, therefore, perform asymmetric exercises with a slant to the right. Accordingly, with right-handed it is necessary to do the same, but with a deviation to the left.
Scoliosis exercises in children are simpler than in adults, and also based on a comprehensive approach.
Exercises for scoliosis of the thoracic spine are performed to strengthen the latissimus muscle of the back. Treatment of the thoracic spine with scoliosis 1, 2 and 3 degrees passes in two directions: static and dynamic. Dynamic treatment of scoliosis of the thoracic region implies the development of the muscular system. The static treatment of the thoracic region is the osteoarticular system of the spine.
Scoliosis of the thoracic area is treated with the following exercises:
- In the treatment of scoliosis of the thoracic region: to clasp hands behind the head in the lock and sit down. Turn the shoulders first to the left, then to the right side so that the legs do not move. Good for children.
- In order to fully improve the problem of scoliosis of the thoracic spine: lie on your stomach on the bench so that its edge is near the waist. Put your hands behind your head. Bend up to 90 degrees, unbend and again bounce. Do until the moment when there is fatigue.
- Doing pull-ups.
- Scoliosis is well treated by stretching: to do this, hang the crossbar for as long as possible.
Kifoscoliosis is the same scoliosis, but this problem combines both stoop and lateral curvature of the spine, and therefore a special set of exercises has been created for it.
For children, in addition to regular gymnastics, stretching is also provided. Against such a scoliosis, the doctor himself prescribes the optimal number of exercises and treatment in the form of such procedures. After the doctor follows the exercises, they can be done at home if kifoskolioz 1, 2 and 3 degrees.
Kifoskolioz and 1, and 2 degrees are useless to treat with force loads, therefore, it will be necessary to refuse training in the gym. On the contrary, it can only worsen the general condition of the patient.
Kifoskolioz 1, 2 and 3 degrees are treated with the help of swimming, which helps to strengthen the muscles. This gym is great for children and is a good complex with other exercises against scoliosis. Such treatment is desirable to be carried out at the doctor's recommendation at higher stages. Swimming can replace corset, but it is better not to refuse massage.
Kifoskolioz means wearing special corsets to correct posture. This method is part of the treatment complex, starting with the 2nd degree. For the period of physical education this product is removed, and then put on again.
Kifoskolioz 3 degrees can not be cured at home: gymnastics prevents the further development of the disease, but do it only according to the prescription and supervision of the doctor.
The treatment of physical education takes place in two stages, which are a complex complex: first a massage that helps warm up the muscles, and afterwards - warm-up and gymnastics.
All exercises for the treatment of scoliosis start with a warm-up, so as not to over-strain the body.
It is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- All exercises are performed with the maximum flat back and fixed posture. You can adjust everything near the wall.
- Hands along the trunk, circular motions shoulders.
- Slopes forward.
- Squats( on two legs, symmetrically).
Lie down on the back
The following movements need to be carried out, lying on the back:
- A bicycle is an effective exercise in scoliosis. Lie on your back and move your legs as if you are riding an invisible inverted bicycle. The foot should be as close to the floor as possible in its lower position.
- Another classic exercise in scoliosis is scissors. Cross-leg motion.
- Another exercise in scoliosis: raise your legs and spread them apart, hold it for a while and lower it to the floor.
- Stretching the body into a string is perfect for both children and adults.
Lying on stomach
The following movements need to be done while lying on your stomach:
- Scissors - an exercise in scoliosis, which can be performed on the abdomen. The same flies legs, only with each movement must raise the hips, so as to maximize the muscles of the back.
- Swimming is an exercise for scoliosis for children and adults. Imitation of brace, 40 seconds and a break. So 3 approaches.
- One of the most difficult exercises for scoliosis is holding: maximally raise your legs and keep them as much as possible.
Lying on the side
The following movements need to be performed lying on their side:
- The scoliosis exercise complex is rich in scissors: swinging legs, but in a horizontal plane.
- A pillow is placed under the feet( ankle joints).We lift our legs, hold them as long as possible, and return them to their original position again. Do it slowly.
Total in moderation
Exercises for scoliosis are unusually useful in this disease, as not only represent treatment, but also serve as a prophylaxis for scoliosis of the thoracic and lumbar spine, as well as kyphosis( kyphoscoliosis). What exercises need to be done and can be performed at home, and which ones should be left only in memory, the doctor will help to understand. In no case should you prescribe scoliosis treatment for yourself or for children yourself.
Therapeutic gymnastics for scoliosis
Therapeutic gymnastics for scoliosis
Scoliosis is a very common disease, more precisely, the curvature of the spine, which occurs mainly in childhood. It is diagnosed in many children aged 1-15 years. It is the period of growth and development of the spine that becomes a fertile ground for the development of scoliosis, therefore, children's health needs to be given special attention.
Clinic of the disease
There are several types of scoliosis - the classification is made by localization and form of curvature. Isolate S-shaped, Z-shaped and C-shaped scoliosis. In the area of localization of deformation, the chest, lumbar and combined scoliosis are distinguished. It is also possible to divide the strain by age in which it is diagnosed in humans:
- infantile - this type of scoliosis is defined in children up to the age of three;
- juvenile - is diagnosed in children aged 3-10 years;
- youthful - is defined in 10-15 years;
- scoliosis in adults - is diagnosed in adulthood, when the formation and growth of the spine is already completed.
Degrees of scoliosis
Curvature of the spine develops gradually, so several degrees of deformation are distinguished:
- 1 degree - the spine deviates from the vertical axis by 1-10 degrees( often this deviation is not considered a pathology, therefore, no measures are taken to eliminate it);
- 2nd degree - the spine is deformed more significantly. The degree of deviation from its norm is 11-25;
- 3 degree - the angle of inclination of the spine can vary within 26-50 degrees;
- 4 degree - the most complex. In this case, the spine deviates more than 50 degrees.
It is worth noting that depending on the degree of scoliosis depends the success of its elimination. Treatment should be dealt with if the deformation has reached the second degree, because in the future it will develop much faster and it will not be easy to cope with it.
External signs of scoliosis
Treatment of scoliosis
There are three main methods of treating scoliosis, for each of which there are indications. For example, if the scoliosis is on the first-second degree, the spine is not deflected by more than 15 degrees, the usual gymnastics will be effective, which should be conducted under the supervision of a specialist. If we talk about scoliosis of a more complex form, the patient will be offered a corset that can hold the spine in the right position, gradually leveling it. There is a huge number of corsets, each of which has its own indications for use. With complex forms of scoliosis, corsets are made to order, made of more rigid material.
Individual medical corset
If therapeutic gymnastics and wearing a corset were unsuccessful, a surgical operation can be performed - indications to it are available only in the last stages of scoliosis. In this case, the spine will be supported by a special metal rod, which is introduced into the body by the back or front access. Note that the operation does not guarantee 100% alignment of the spine, it can straighten only up to a certain angle.
To avoid such serious therapies, it is necessary to diagnose scoliosis as early as possible in order to be able to align the spine only with the use of therapeutic gymnastics.
The use of gymnastics in scoliosis
Therapeutic gymnastics is one of the main ways to treat scoliosis and prevent the progression of deformity. You can use this therapy at any stage and with any type of scoliosis, but gymnastics is more effective, at the initial stages of deformation.
It should be noted that the complex of exercises is selected for each case individually. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the degree of curvature, the region of its localization and shape. If the complex of exercises is selected independently, there is a possibility not only to not achieve the desired result, but also to aggravate the situation.
LFK in scoliosis
Therapeutic gymnastics can be used as an independent method of treatment, but it has a higher efficiency in combination with massages and manual therapy. That is why, it is best to seek help from specialists who can provide comprehensive treatment.
If you are wondering why therapeutic gymnastics is effective in scoliosis, everything is quite simple. When a person performs a specially selected set of exercises for him, he strengthens the back muscles, which will form a strong and reliable corset around the spine, keeping him in a level position. In childhood, gymnastics is very effective, because the spine is still flexible, so it is able to return to the correct position.
Otherwise gymnastic exercises simply help to strengthen muscles, preventing the progression of scoliosis - this is also a fairly good result. So, performing gymnastics with scoliosis, a person unloads his spine, reduces the load that falls on him, which triggers the development of scoliosis, and strengthens the muscles of the back.
Gymnastics can be performed for the prevention of scoliosis - in this case it is very effective, it gives almost 100% protection against spinal deformity.
Rules for performing gymnastic exercises
It was mentioned above that gymnastics can not only help in the fight against scoliosis, but also harm the spine, therefore it must be performed very responsibly and under the supervision of a qualified specialist. At the same time, it is necessary to know some rules, according to which the therapeutic gymnastics is performed:
- minimum load - it is from it that the therapeutic gymnastics begins. The load level increases gradually, it is determined only by a specialist;
- dosage of exercises - the duration of gymnastics is determined individually. Must take into account the patient's state of health. Once a person begins to feel discomfort or pain, classes should stop. The next session starts again with a minimum load;
- passive traction of the spine - if the spine is stretched, it should only be passive - performed with various exercises. Vis on the crossbar is strictly prohibited;
- lack of exercises to improve the flexibility of the spine - a set of exercises should not include manipulations involving vertical rotation of the spine, such exercises can harm, aggravate the condition.
The basic complex of exercises
Types of therapeutic gymnastics
There are two categories of gymnastic exercises that are used for posture correction:
- are symmetrical - they are not intended for targeted straightening of the spine, but are great for strengthening the back muscles, preventing the development of scoliosis;
- asymmetric - performed for the purpose of treating scoliosis, are selected only on an individual basis, depending on the degree and shape of the curvature. Such exercises make it possible to exert a purposeful influence on the spine and the surrounding muscles, to straighten the posture, to prevent the progression of scoliosis.
Regardless of the category of exercises, only a qualified specialist can select them. Only in this case therapeutic gymnastics will have the desired effectiveness.
Video - Therapeutic gymnastics for scoliosis
Complex of exercises for scoliosis( Photo)
Scoliosis is a disease accompanied by a one-sided curvature of the spinal column. This ailment can develop at any age depending on external factors. However, the most frequent period of scoliosis is childhood and adolescence, when the spine system grows and develops. This process ends after reaching a man of 25 years. Therefore, the lack of measures for the treatment and prevention of scoliosis at a young age leads, as a rule, to the progression of the disease.Contents:
- Asana Cobra
In the latter case, surgical intervention may be required. If the treatment is started on time, in many cases, scoliosis can be corrected with the help of special therapeutic gymnastics. The complex of exercises with a certain form and stage of scoliosis should ideally be prescribed by the attending physician. However, there are a number of standard exercises that can be performed independently at the initial stages of the development of the disease. In addition, such gymnastics should be addressed to those who have the prerequisites for the development of scoliosis.
What are the exercises for scoliosis?
In physiotherapy, exercises for the elimination and prevention of scoliosis are divided into asymmetric and symmetric. The first are aimed at training and developing the muscles of one side of the spine. They are subdivided into corrective - aimed at correcting curvatures, and detorcing, which aim is the alignment of the spine in the pelvic region, as well as correction of the curvatures of the pelvic bones.
It is worth noting that, without the supervision of the instructor for curative gymnastics, it is recommended to perform only a set of symmetrical exercises. Otherwise, you can only worsen the condition of the vertebral discs and provoke the progression of scoliosis. Symmetrical exercises assume a uniform load on both sides of the spinal column.
Features of exercise therapy for scoliosis
The complex of exercises for lateral curvature of the spine is aimed at solving the following problems:
- correction of the disturbed balance of ligaments and the muscular apparatus of the spine;
- development and strengthening of the muscular corset;
- unloading the spinal column;
- correction of curvature of the spine;
- formation of correct posture.
Doctors recommend combining a special set of exercises with corrective and strengthening the vertebral system sports. These activities include swimming and yoga. Of no small importance is massage, as well as physiotherapy. The most effective position in swimming is breast tenderness. It is in this position that all muscles of the back and shoulder girdle are evenly used.
In addition, complex treatment should include training for the development and strengthening of ligaments and muscles of the musculoskeletal system, especially the foot. Not recommended for the program exercises, which include circular movements of the body, turns, axial vertical load on the back( squats, running, jumping, pulling), as well as spasmodic movements. Extension on the crossbar in scoliosis is prohibited. When practicing gymnastics, start with a minimum load. If during the physical education there were painful feelings, you must immediately stop the exercise.to table of contents ^
Preparing for gymnastics to correct scoliosis
Before performing a set of exercises, you need to warm up to prepare muscles and ligaments for later lessons. The warm-up includes the following exercises.
1. Take the vertical position, put the feet on the width of the shoulders. On inhalation, raise your hands up, then reach for your hands, lower your arms and relax with exhalation. Repeat 5 times.
2. Stand up to a level wall, press shoulder blades, calf muscles, heels and buttocks against the wall surface. Lock this position and save it for a few seconds, moving away from the wall.
3. In standing position, stretch out your arms in front of you. At the expense of 1-2 spread his hands in hand, palms up, take a breath. At the expense of 3-4 take the starting position, exhale.
4. In the standing position, the hands are lowered down, making circular motions with the shoulders forward - 5 times. Then relax and repeat 5 more turns forward.
5. In the previous starting position, perform the alternate lifting and bending of the knees - lift the leg to the stomach and lower it. Do not make sudden movements. Repeat the exercise 5 times with each foot.
After the warm-up, you can go to the main set of exercises.
Basic exercises for scoliosis
The starting position is lying on the back. Raise your feet above the floor and perform movements called "scissors".Movements must be made both in the vertical and in the horizontal direction. Perform 15 repetitions.
Stand on all fours, palms parallel to shoulders, feet shoulder width apart. Perform the exercise "cat" - arch your back up, with the head and buttocks pointing towards the floor. Then make a back deflection - back down, buttocks and head - up. Repeat the exercise 5-7 times.
Stand on all fours, rest your palms on the floor. Then lower the buttocks on the heels, stretching the body forward. In this position, use your hands to move the trunk to the left, right and right. In each position, delay for a couple of seconds. Perform at least 5 movements in each direction.
Lie down on the floor, placing a firm pillow under your stomach. Get your hands behind your back, locking them in the lock. Do the hull lifts up to the height that you can overpower. Try not to overexert the spine. The exercise should involve the muscles of the lower back. Perform 5-10 lifts.
Stand upright, feet shoulder width apart. Begin slowly to reduce the shoulder blades together, hands should be parallel to the body. Alternately, move and relax the shoulder blades, using only the muscles of the thoracic spine and shoulder girdle, hands should lie freely along the body. Repeat the exercise 10 times.
The starting position is on all fours. Raise and stretch your arm forward, and the opposite leg back. The arm and leg when lifting should be parallel to the floor. Then change your leg and arm and repeat the exercise. Do the exercise 7-10 repetitions.
Lie on your back, hands spread apart. Knees press each other and bend. In this position, turn your head in one direction, and lower your knees in the opposite direction. During exercise, the load is in the muscles of the neck and lumbar spine. Do 5-7 repetitions.
Lie down on the floor on the side of the curvature. Under the waist area, place a small roller. The lower leg is straight, the upper leg is bent at the knee. Lower arm bend at the elbow and place under the neck. Raise the upper hand and hold it by the head, keeping it parallel to the floor. Keep this position for a few seconds, then relax. Repeat the exercise 5 times.to table of contents ^
Asanas of yoga to correct scoliosis
Yoga exercises are an effective means of strengthening the muscular corset of the back and abdominal belt, which is an excellent prophylaxis for the development and progression of scoliosis.to the table of contents ^
Stand upright, arms along the trunk, feet shoulder-width apart. Try not to arch your lower back, buttocks pull in, lower your shoulders. Pull the spine, as if trying to reach the top of the ceiling. Perform the asana for 2-3 seconds. Repeat the exercise 3 times.to contents ^
The starting position is standing. Arrange legs widely in the pose of the triangle. Tilt the body sideways. One hand is lowered down and the other is pulled upwards. Pull the trunk to the side of curvature. With a strong curvature, it is recommended not to lower your hand to the floor, but to lean against it on a chair. Hold the position for 3-4 breaths. Repeat the asana 3 times.to the table of contents ^
The starting position is lying on the stomach. Legs are straight, brought together. Put your hands on the floor, bending your arms in the elbows. Take a breath, and on exhalation straighten your elbows, lifting the body up. The head then stretches back. Take 3 more breaths, caving in exhalation further. Then hold the position for 20-30 seconds and relax.
In the end of the complex of therapeutic gymnastics, it is necessary to perform a breathing exercise. To do this, straighten the body in a standing position, place the legs parallel to the shoulders. Inhale and slowly raise your hands up, while standing on your toes. Stretch out and put both hands and heels down while exhaling.
To prevent the development of scoliosis in children, follow the correct position of the child during the lessons, as well as in any sitting position. Daily exercise and, if signs of scoliosis appear, immediately show your child to the doctor. The same principles should be adhered to and adult.If you liked our article and you have something to add, share your thoughts. Sign up for updates on email:
Привет всем!I want to thank the author for the useful article. Started every morning to perform the exercises proposed by the author, which seemed to me simple and accessible. A week later I felt better. The back has ceased to hurt and I feel myself vigorous the whole day! Girls who have problems with their back, try not regret it!
You can not do exercises on twisting, turning the body on the side. Before doing the exercises, check out the contraindicated exercises for scoliosis. Reply ↓
I just started hanging on the bar, at first not much, now it's already longer, the back is no longerit hurts, I even grew a little in my 47 years! !!I recommend it to everyone, it's very simple
Scoliosis, which is generally called simply the curvature of the spine, is often perceived skeptically, especially when it comes to the early stages of the disease. Thus, the most favorable moment for starting treatment is missed.
It should be noted that the development of serious forms of curvature causes the need for complex surgical intervention, while from the first and second degree of scoliosis it is possible to get rid of only self-control, therapeutic gymnastics and massage.
Considerable role in the treatment of scoliosis in children is attributed to physical exercises, such as special complexes of therapeutic gymnastics, swimming, skiing.
Despite all the variety of techniques, does not recommend on scoliosis independently: in each case, the complex must be selected individually to have an effect on those muscle groups that will prevent further curvature of the spine.
What is the effectiveness of gymnastics
To date, gymnastics is considered one of the most effective methods of conservative treatment of curvature of the spine, as it forms a muscle rope that can hold and even bring back the displaced vertebrae.
The pathogenesis of the disease affects not only the osseous skeleton, but also the muscles: the curved axis of the spinal column forms an arc, on one side of which the muscles are stretched, on the other hand they are compressed and in constant tension.then leads to a closure of the pathological circle and further progression of the process.
Well-chosen, physical exercises allow you to balance the load on the muscles, strengthen them and create a solid framework that keeps the spine in the right position. Thus, physical therapy can be called a therapeutic and preventive measure - if it does not help restore the old form, it will create all the prerequisites for stopping the pathological process.
Types of exercises
Depending on the type of action on the muscle groups, physical exercises are divided into symmetrical and asymmetric.
- The first include swimming and skiing. In general, they do not have a purposeful corrective action, but they contribute to the formation of a good musculature of the back.
- Asymmetric exercises are selected exclusively by specialists individually for each patient. This gymnastics is a purposeful influence on the spine in those places where its correction is required. Asymmetric exercises should be performed only under the supervision of a doctor in specialized institutions, doing them at home can lead to an acceleration in the progression of the disease.
Gymnastics at home
Doctors categorically forbid practicing the treatment of scoliosis at home, at the same time, note the positive effect on patients of regular gymnastics in the mornings and evenings. Independently you can perform only a basic course, designed to strengthen all muscle groups. In this case, it is very important to take precautions:
- In scoliosis, it is necessary to very carefully dose the load, not allowing overstrain of the muscles.
- Begin with minimal load, gradually increasing it during training.
- The main requirement for gymnastics in scoliosis is a thorough and vigilant control of posture. It does not matter how long the exercise takes, much more important is the maintenance of proper posture when performing it.
- Prohibited active spinal traction, so exercise on the bar should be completely eliminated.
- You can not perform exercises that increase the flexibility of the spine and include moments of rotation relative to the vertical axis of the trunk.
Thus, it is possible to perform at home all familiar squats, rotation of hands, lifting the trunk from a prone position, "bicycle" and others. Do not forget about doing a warm-up before each session. It is also important to pay attention to the alternation of the load on different muscle groups.
The following exercises are used to directly strengthen the back muscles:
- The starting position - lying on the stomach, hands along the trunk. Raise the head and shoulders, hold the position for 10-15 seconds, then return to the starting position.
- Lying on your stomach, rest your palms on the floor at shoulder level. Smoothly lift your legs, hold them at a distance of 10 seconds from the floor and gently lower them.
- Simultaneous lifting of the head, shoulders and legs from the prone position on the abdomen.
- Lying on the side, on the side of which there is a curvature, alternately push the legs forward - outwardly the exercise resembles a "scissors".
- "Swimming" by sex. Movements with hands and feet alternate with crawling: pushing your hands against the floor, gently move backwards, then forward.
Prophylaxis of scoliosis is the elimination of everything that can cause it:
- The food should be full, special attention is paid to the microelement of calcium and vitamin D.
- It is necessary to provide the children with conditions in which they will move enough, every day you need to walk in the park, square.
- Particular attention should be paid to the selection of furniture for the student: the table and chair should match the size of the child's growth. Check: the child should sit at the table, without bending, legs stand on the floor.
- Lighting on the desktop is always placed on the side of the working hand: for the right-hander - on the right, for the left-hander - on the left.
- Control of posture. You can take the right position by standing against the wall and touching it with heels, calves, buttocks and shoulder blades.
In some cases, the cause of the development of curvature of the spine in children and adults are such diseases as myopia and strabismus. To solve this problem will help the ophthalmologist - competent selection of glasses at significant degrees and physiotherapy with a slight impairment of vision can solve the problem.
Flat-footedness is another non-disconcerting disease of the musculoskeletal system, leading not only to scoliosis, but also to a number of other pathological changes in the body.
For children, physiotherapeutic procedures for the treatment of this disease are carried out, but adults can only count not the damping effect of the insteps and orthopedic shoes.
In cases where the legs have different lengths, you should also consult an orthopedic doctor who will help you choose the right shoes.
Gymnastics for scoliosis
Scoliosis is a fairly serious disease that occurs in people of almost all ages. The danger is that at an early stage this disease is not taken seriously. And this means that the moment when it was possible to easily correct scoliosis is irretrievably lost and further treatment will be more serious and prolonged. Therefore, if only a person notices the signs of scoliosis, it is worth to consult a doctor. Quite good results have corrective gymnastics in scoliosis in combination with massage, physiotherapy and corset application.A new look at the treatmentAs a former "hard worker" was able to get rid of arthritis and osteochondrosis for a month. .. More. ..
For the selection of exercises, you need to contact the instructor LFK and the doctor who will jointly work out an individual plan for curing the disease. Only in this case gymnastics does not hurt, but will have the most positive effect on the human body. Corrective gymnastics is prescribed for adults and children. It is worth remembering that it is necessary to perform exactly the exercises that the doctor prescribes, depending on the type of scoliosis. After gymnastics with cervical, lumbar, thoracic and c-shaped scoliosis can significantly differ.
The effect of exercises with scoliosis
Scoliosis is much more common in children who have little exercise, lead an inactive lifestyle, preferring to sit at a computer. In this case, the muscles of the back are weakened, they can not already hold the actively growing spine in the correct position, and it gradually begins to bend. The main purpose of the corrective gymnastics is to straighten the posture, and to eliminate its defects. With the help of physical exercises, all metabolic processes are activated, muscles become strong and durable, coordination of movements improves, breathing becomes deeper. All these tasks are solved by selecting a set of exercises that correspond to the age of the person and the degree of development of scoliosis( 1,2 or 3,4).Their use will restore the symmetry of shoulder blades, shoulders, straighten the position of the head, change the angle of the pelvis, reduce the size of the bends.
Scoliosis exercises will help to strengthen the muscular corset, the muscles will grow and with the growth of the baby the spinal column will straighten out and assume a normal natural position. Medical gymnastics in scoliosis will break the vicious circle, when the muscles on one side stretch, and on the other overexert. The effect of physical exercises in adults is less pronounced because the spine has stopped growing and the vertebrae have become stiff. However, the exercises can prevent further progression of scoliosis, which means that the muscles will strengthen, the quality of life will significantly improve.
Corrective curative gymnastics for scoliosis for children and adults includes exercises that are selected individually, and depends on the degree of development of the disease. After all, scoliosis of 1 and 2 degrees allows for a somewhat greater load than 3 degrees.
The basic complex of exercises includes movements for training breathing, improving posture, correcting the deformed department. This is a training to improve balancing and maintaining balance, to change the position of the body in space. The pace of execution should be slow, after the exercises you need to rest for about 20 minutes. Contraindicated such exercises, which lead to strong stretching, overstretch of the spine, for example, on a horizontal bar.
Doctors strongly do not recommend performing exercises that the patient has chosen for himself at home. This can lead to irreparable consequences. If scoliosis has not yet developed to grade 3 or 4, but is 1 or 2, then, if certain rules are followed, you can study at home after appropriate training.
Basic exercises for scoliosis
- The patient lies on his back and puts his hands on the back of the head. At the inhalation, the elbows are bred in different directions, as they are exhaled. Repeat three times.
- From lying on the back, the patient begins to bend his legs, while inhaling brings his knees to his stomach, on exhalation - straightens them.5 repetitions are done.
- Lying on the stomach gently lift the body above the floor, caving in the thoracic area. This is done by inhaling, on exhalation, the body should be lowered to the floor. Up to four repetitions.
- Get up on all fours, on inhaling, it is necessary to stretch the right arm and left leg, and on exhalation return to the starting position. Then perform such an exercise with the opposite hand and foot. You can repeat this exercise up to six times.
This corrective gymnastics for scoliosis does not take long, but it does work. It's only worth doing everything smoothly, without hurrying up. So there will be no harm to the spine, and the benefits will definitely be. The main goals of gymnastics for scoliosis: elimination of muscle imbalance, relieve the load from the spine, help correct curvature, form a correct posture and develop a ligament-muscle apparatus.
Is scoliosis and sport compatible?
With scoliosis of 1 and 2 degrees, you can practice sports, in which both sides of the back develop. It can be a bicycle grade, skis, artistic gymnastics( only without fanaticism and not professionally).But tennis, badminton and similar kinds of variety with one-sided load are contraindicated. Swimming is very useful, as it strengthens all muscles. The best style is swimming breast-breasting and not recommended butterfly and crawl. The individual style and pace of movements will be developed by the physician and instructor of exercise therapy.
Sports activities are shown mainly for those patients who have scoliosis at the initial stages( 1 or 2).In all other cases, if scoliosis has reached 3 or 4 degrees of sport, either completely prohibited, or the question is solved individually with the orthopedist. Rhythmic gymnastics promotes the hypermobility of the spine, which is harmful to the spinal column. This is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it helps to increase the size of the intercostal space and relieve the pain syndrome, and on the other hand it can severely damage the vertebrae.
Corrective gymnastics also involves breathing exercises, as in patients with scoliosis the thorax is poorly developed. Proper breathing contributes to an increase in lung volume and eliminates deformity of the chest. Well recommended gymnastics Katharina Schrot.
Gymnastics Katharina Schroth
In scoliosis, the thorax rises asymmetrically with breathing. This is due to the fact that it is shifted back to the side where there is a bulge, inward and outward from the concavity. This is why more oxygen enters the lungs from the convex side, and much less from the concave side. Katharina Schroth has developed methods of breathing, in which it becomes symmetrical, corrected, that is, a person breathes the sunken side of the chest. During the breathing exercises of the Schroth, special pouches are placed on the convex side, which limit the volume of inhaled air. Shrot's breathing exercises are carried out individually for each patient in specialized clinics.
To the person explain, what at it or him a scoliosis where zones of an anvil and bulges are located. This provides an opportunity to understand how to properly work out the muscles. Shrot's breathing exercises load muscles differently and their main goal is not to form and strengthen the muscular corset, but to exert a straightening effect on the body.
Gymnastics by the technique of Schroth assumes:
- Stretching of the body to restore proper breathing and simplify the inspiration from the side of the sunken sternum. They increase the intercostal distance in this part.
- Correct position of body during exercise. This makes it possible to correct the arc of curvature and carefully work out the muscles.
- When inhaled, the patient observes the movement of his ribs in a mirror image and corrects it.
- All actions are aimed at cutting the stretched intercostal muscles from the convex side.
- Respiratory gymnastics Schroth should be performed with complete self-control. All the halls for practicing it are equipped with mirrors, and the patient can fully control all the inaccuracies.
- When doing gymnastics, drink as much as possible.
The classical course on the technique of Katharina Schroth lasts 3 months. Classes are daily, 3 times a day for an hour and a half. Rehabilitation is carried out once a year for children and 1 time in 2 or 3 years of adults.
Therapeutic gymnastics for correction of scoliosis is very important, especially at its initial stage at 1 and 2 degrees. However, only the correct complex, selected by specialists individually can really benefit and significantly slow the progression of the disease.