Sick knees with knee bend
Knee pain while squatting is perhaps the most common complaint after weight training at a fitness club. The knee joint is very complex in structure, and therefore it is easy to damage - not only with the fall, but also with improperly performing exercises.
Why are knees ached while squatting?
The complaint of pain in the knee joint can be heard not only from a person of advanced age, but also from a young and healthy athlete. The reasons for such an annoying phenomenon can be very different:
- Wrong technique for doing squats, lunges and other exercises. When doing exercises, it is important to make sure that the knees look straight ahead( during the squat, the knees should be parallel to the foot and not go out for it) and not at an acute angle, because in this position too much load is placed on the joint, which contributes to the appearanceunpleasant sensations. If you feel pain in the knee joint while squatting, and not before or after it, chances are high that your problem is exactly this.
- Sharp, sharp knee pain when squatting can indicate that you have sustained a serious injury - stretching or even rupturing the ligaments in the joint. In the event that the pain during squats is very strong and does not subside even after stopping the exercise, it is necessary to apply dry cold( ice wrapped in polyethylene and cloth) and contact a trauma doctor.
- If the pain in the knee is constant, and is strengthened when you squat or descend the stairs, chances are that you have Osgood-Schlatter disease. This disease often begins after a knee injury, but sometimes develops and for no apparent reason. Usually such a disease passes for 2-3 weeks and very rarely passes into a chronic form.
- If knees crunch while squatting, this can be an alarming symptom of developing arthrosis. In the first stages it is just a crunch and pain that pass after training, but already at this stage it is necessary to consult a doctor for qualified help.
- Excessive load - squats with heavy burdening, overweight, training at the limit of possibilities can also contribute to knee pains after squats. The load should be determined on the basis of its physical capabilities and never work at the limit, because as a result you will get no faster result, and serious health problems.
- For women, the actual cause of crunch in the knees when squatting is often the habit of walking on excessively high heels( above 5-6 cm).
- In addition, almost always a crunch or knee pain, if not a consequence of an injury, indicates a lack of vitamins and salt deposition, which requires changing the type of food to a more useful option( include more fruits and vegetables in the diet, and exclude sweet, salted, smoked, floury and fatty).
How to cope with pain in the knee?
Joints, especially the knee, require very careful treatment, why in any case it is recommended to consult a doctor. However, you can get rid of knee pain and folk methods, but they should be used as ancillary, and not as a substitute for the option offered by the doctor. The methods are as follows:
- compresses from milk mixed with bran in a 1: 1 ratio. Such a compress should be fixed on a fixed knee for at least half an hour and repeated on a daily basis;
- daily take warm baths for the knees. If desired, a decoction of herbs or essential oils can be added to the bath, and after 20-30 minutes, wipe dry thoroughly and spread the knee with any unrefined oil;
- if you have a suspicion of arthrosis, be sure to perform an exercise "bicycle" or "scissors" 1-2 times a day;
- there is such an effective and simple exercise for strengthening the knees: put a pancake weighing 5-15 kg on the floor( start with the smallest weight, gradually increasing it), sit in front of him on the bench, and first move the inside of the toe( the heel at the same time from the floordo not tear off), and then external( pancake should be returned to the place by hand).Repeat the exercise 20 times for each leg;
- if problems with the knee became serious, it makes sense to undergo a course of physiotherapy;
- ask your doctor, you should probably take special supplements;
- with regular pain can try to use special orthopedic plasters on grasses.
The main thing is to control the load, and do not allow exercises "through pain", because the knee joint needs to be kept healthy and working until old age!
The most common causes of knee pain
Pain in the knee joints is a common, albeit non-specific, symptom that occurs both in adulthood and childhood. It is not always easy to correctly determine its origin, especially in the absence of any additional symptoms. The main causes and diseases in which the knees hurt are described in this article.
Complete list of the causes of pain in the knee joints
Pain in the knees is always associated with various kinds of changes in the components that make up the knee joint. The source of pain impulses can become structures that have nerve endings with their composition, or located near the reflexogenic and pain zones of the knee. These include:
- bones and periosteum( tibial and femoral);
- intraarticular hyaline cartilage;
- intraarticular cartilaginous structures - menisci;
- articular capsule;
- knee ligaments( cruciform and co-lateral);
- periarticular handbags and knee joint twists;
- muscles and tendons attached to the knee joint.
An exhaustive answer to the question of why knees ache is presented in the table.
|mechanism||pathology preferential localization||disease process and reasons for which the knees hurt|
|Reactive inflammation||Articular cartilage||Arthritis|
|Muscles and tendons|| |
|Traumatic||femur and tibia, patella|| |
|Articular cartilage capsule and synovium, ligament and meniscus|| |
|degenerative processes||hyaline cartilage and intraarticular||structure deforming osteoarthritis|
|Bones||Fibrous and other types of dysplasia of the femoral and tibial bones|
|Systemic diseases, metabolic disorders, autoimmune processes||Intra-articular and periarticular formation|| |
|Infectious-purulent lesion||Intra|| |
|Physiological or secondary status||Overvoltageosteoarticular knee area formations|| |
It is important to remember! Any of the diseases in which the joints of the knees hurt, can occur in acute and chronic form. The stronger the pain syndrome, the more serious the problem. This can be either a testimony to an acute process, or signal the progression of a chronic one!
Deforming osteoarthritis is one of the most common causes of pain in the knee joints in the elderly
How to understand the cause of the onset of pain
The most common criteria for determining the cause of pain in the knees are as follows:
- connection with certain movements;
- the effect of loads on the occurrence of pain;
- availability at night and at rest;
- severity of pain syndrome.
Some patients at the doctor's appointment focus on the fact that they have knees ached while squatting. This type of load is usually accompanied by pain, either almost at the end of the squat, or at the beginning of the ascent. The most common cause of this are chronic injuries of intra-articular structures( menisci and ligaments).In people of older age groups, such a complaint is mainly caused by deforming gonarthrosis. For this category of reasons, patients with knees ache during walking, especially fast, are suitable. Even more often, the result of long-term injuries and arthrosis are unpleasant sensations in the knee joints when walking on the stairs, since this kind of loads are characterized by the combined features of sit-ups with ordinary walking.
Roentgenography of the knee joint is the main method for diagnosing the causes of pain in the knees
Pains during movements
Active and passive movements in the knee joints can provoke or intensify pain in this area. If pain does not arise at rest or during most movements, this excludes their inflammatory nature. In the case when the knees hurt with the maximum flexion of the limbs in the joints with the localization of pain in the popliteal region, it is worth thinking about the presence of effusion in the joint cavity. It can have the form of a bloody liquid after trauma( hemarthrosis), an excess of transparent intraarticular fluid against the background of exacerbation of arthrosis-arthritis. If only one knee is hurting when bending, it is more like post-traumatic consequences.
Pain in the knee joints during extension can be the result of deforming osteoarthritis, bursitis, meniscus lesions and patellar ligament. With bursitis such pains are not intensive, with the exception of a purulent form of the inflammatory process. Damage to the patellar ligament is accompanied by a difficulty of extension on the background of pain. Osteoarthritis and meniscus lesions, in addition to increasing pain in the knee during walking and in the process of extension, manifest a characteristic crunch. This joint can jam.
More information about pain in the knee area during exercise can be read here
It's important to remember! A comprehensive assessment of the symptoms characteristic of knee lesions makes it as easy as possible to diagnose the causative disease!
Few diseases are accompanied by pain in the knee joints at night. As a rule, this is a serious pathology that affects intraarticular cartilage. In the classical version, this manifests itself in 3-4 stages of gonarthrosis, as well as pronounced acute arthritis of any origin. Differential diagnostics between these causative diseases must be carried out on the basis of other symptoms( arthritis raises body temperature, and knees strongly swell).
Acute pain syndrome
Acute pain in the knee deserves great attention, as it signals serious problems. The sharpest pain occurs when the capsule and the synovial membrane of the knee joint are stretched. This is possible if there is a large amount of liquid in its cavity. Becoming the cause of its appearance is capable of an inflammatory process - arthritis. The onset of this disease can be associated with the transmitted infectious and systemic diseases of connective tissue. In the initial stage there is moderately severe pain. As the inflammation progresses, it becomes sharp, intense. If the process passes into the stage of suppuration, it manifests itself with a throbbing pain.
Pain localizationWe recommend that you read: Why do joints ache in the knees?
On the localization of pain in the knee joint can be tentatively judged on the causes of its occurrence. Very often, patients complain of local pain along the inside of the knee, a little lower and to the inside of the kneecap. Such sensations mainly indicate a different kind of damage to the inner meniscus with a medial ligamentous ligament. Similar pains outside and slightly below the patella on the outer surface of the knee indicate a rupture of the lateral meniscus attached to the same-named co-ligament. If they are felt directly inside the knee and are accompanied by instability of the joint, it is worth thinking about the damage to the cruciate ligaments.
Combination of pain with edema
For some diseases, patients complain about the fact that the knees are both swollen and sore. This combination of symptoms always indicates an acute process or marked exacerbation of the chronic. It can be arthritis of any origin, progression of gonarthrosis, acute post-traumatic period and long-term consequences of injuries of the lower limb. As a rule, the more swollen your knees, the more acute the pain and the more serious the disease. Local edema in the patella or any other area can speak of bursitis, tendonitis, Baker's cyst( when the edema is presented as a tumor in the popliteal region).
Treatment of pain in the knees should be differentiated and individualized.
. What are the pains in the knees in childhood
Quite often, parents turn to the orthopedists due to the child's complaints of pain in the knees. It is impossible to unequivocally assess what they came from. In most cases, the pain syndrome is caused by the simultaneous action of regular factors. First of all, this is an active growth, accompanied by a physiological weakness of the osteoarticular apparatus. Secondly, the impact of high loads, which are subject to the bones of a child in everyday life. Because of this discrepancy, the bones, ligaments and other knee structures are overloaded, which can cause swelling and pain in the knee joints.
But transient physiological changes are not the only cause of knee pain in children and adolescents. Thus there are a number of diseases, for example, such:
- congenital and acquired osteodysplasia, arthropathy, chondropathy;
- tumors of the bones of the lower limbs;
- various arthritis( juvenile rheumatoid, rheumatic, reactive and others);
- trauma and post-traumatic complications( fractures, ligament ruptures, etc.).
It's important to remember! Pain in the knees of children should be given sufficient attention. A harmless symptom can be the first manifestation of a serious illness. Therefore, the child should be monitored dynamically and, with the slightest deterioration in the condition, consult specialists!
How to deal with pain in the knees
The presence of a persistent pain syndrome with the localization in the knee joint is an indication for the obligatory consultation of a specialist and a thorough examination. The main medical measures that you can use yourself, and specialized care are described in this article.
Pain in the knees is an ambiguous symptom, from which the diagnosis of both regular physiological and pathological conditions begins. You can try to go through the whole diagnostic path yourself, risking your health. But it is better to find a reliable doctor who will help to overcome the existing problem.
Knee pain when squatting and getting up: causes and treatment - Onwomen.ru
One of the most frequent complaints when calling a doctor is the occurrence of pain in the legs when walking, squatting or bending the limb. And such pains can arise for people of different ages and lifestyles, and for young sportsmen and elderly home-stayers suffering from excess weight and hypertension. The causes of pain in the knee when squatting can be very different - from banal muscle strain to joint diseases or Osgood-Schlatter disease.
Why knees ache when squatting
The knee joint is a complex mechanism that is daily subjected to heavy loads, the knees account for most of the body weight when walking, they are constantly bent and unbend, and not always ligaments, cartilages and bones can withstand this load. Pain in the knee when squatting can occur unexpectedly, but more often you can note the gradual emergence of unpleasant symptoms - first the knees "crunch" and "creak" when squatting and getting up, then there are pulling and aching joint pains that gradually become more severe and intense. It is very difficult to cope with the discomfort and pain sensations in the knee independently, for this you need to make a diagnosis and start treatment, which can vary greatly for each specific disease. In no case can one ignore the pain in the knee - it can result from injury or acute inflammation of the joint and without proper treatment there is a risk of irreversible processes in the joint, as a result of which the leg may lose mobility.
The most common causes of knee pain when squatting
- Injuries to - knee pain when squatting and getting up most often occur in young, active sports people. If the pain in the knee is abrupt, has occurred suddenly during or after exercise, it is necessary to exclude traumatic injury. For example, stretching the ligaments or tendons of the knee joint is the most common pathology that can appear without any apparent reason, it is quite unsuccessful to turn or sit down for this. Less frequent and much more painful dislocation of the knee cap, fracture of the meniscus, fractures of the bones of the knee joint. In these cases, the pain is very strong, the knee swells, reddens, and any movement of the foot causes severe pain;
- Arthritis - most often from joint inflammation people over 30-40 years old suffer. Inflammation of the joint bag and surrounding tissue joints leads to unpleasant sensations in the knees and other joints in the morning hours - "morning stiffness", joints increase in size, the skin over them blushes and becomes hot to the touch, and any movement, especially flexion of the legs when squattingcauses severe pain;
- Arthrosis is a degenerative-dystrophic disease of the articular tissue, in which disks and cartilaginous tissue located between the bones of the joints are gradually destroyed. Arthrosis is characteristic for older people, with a metabolic disorder, suffering from excess weight, hypodynamia, circulatory disorders and hypertension. With arthrosis of the knee joints, the symptoms of the disease appear gradually, initially some stiffness and unpleasant sensations in the squats disturb, then there is pain in the joints after physical exertion and in the evening, and at the last stages of the disease the appearance of the joint changes and its mobility is greatly limited;
- Knee joint bursitis - inflammation of the synovial joint of the joint develops when an infection from the upper respiratory tract or internal organs enters the bloodstream and from there into the joints. With bursitis, the general well-being of the patient is disturbed - the body temperature rises, there is a headache, a general malaise, the knee turns red, swells, hurts when moving. If bursitis does not begin to be treated on time, pus may start to accumulate pus, which will have to be removed surgically;
- Gout - occurs when metabolic disorders and the accumulation of uric acid salts in tissues, most often with gout suffer minor joints, but sometimes the disease spreads to the knee joint. Gouty pains are of high intensity, the patient is hurt even with a simple touch to the leg, and when squats or attempts to bend the leg, the pain is repeatedly amplified. When the disease progresses, the joint is deformed, movements in it are difficult;
- Osgood-Schlatter disease is a disease that most often occurs in children and young people who are intensely involved in sports. Primary osteochondropathy of the tibia occurs suddenly, after trauma or for no apparent reason, patients complain of pain in the knee when squatting, getting up, walking on the stairs and other similar movements, at rest the pain passes. This disease lasts about 2-3 weeks and can completely disappear or go into a chronic form.
How to get rid of knee pain when squatting
You can try to get rid of knee pain yourself only if you are firmly convinced that it appeared as a result of too intense or incorrectly conducted workouts. In all other cases, it is impossible to begin treatment without a preliminary medical examination, because in each specific case different medications are used:
- with injuries of - the main rest and immobility, also reduce edema and pain;
- for arthritis - the basis of treatment will be the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - with arthrosis - chondroprotectors and chondrozameners are prescribed for the restoration of cartilaginous tissue;
- with gout - it is necessary to normalize the metabolism and give up food with a high content of purine bases;
- with bursitis - also use NSAIDs and antibiotic therapy.
If knee pain when squatting and standing up appears only after intense training and worries the patient only occasionally , you can deal with it with the help of the following methods:
- before the lessons more time to give warm-up and stretching - insufficient "warming up" of the muscles before large loadsoften provokes pain in the knees and other joints;
- correctly crouch - incorrect squatting at times increases the load on the knee joint, so watch your knees during exercise - they should not "look" inward or outward;
- to reduce the intensity of the load - if the pain appeared after the load increased, it is possible that your joints are simply not ready for it and returning to previous exercises will help to forget about unpleasant sensations forever.
First aid for knee pain
If sharp and severe pain occurs in the knee of the , it is necessary:
- immediately stop any movements and provide complete rest to the knee joint;
- as much as possible to reduce the load on the leg - it's best to go to bed and move less;
- relieve severe pain and swelling can a cold compress or ice pack;
- to reduce unpleasant sensations in the knee with elastic bandages;
- with severe pain can take painkillers.
The appearance of even weak and non-regular painful sensations in the knee joint is an occasion to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Subscribe to the news
This form will help you to receive news of the site on your e-mail, and you will always be aware of the latest news of powerlifting.
Enter your e-mail:
Results of the IPF European Bench Press ChampionshipAugust 11, 2012 in Italy, in Terni, the European Championships in the bench press of the IPF in equipping mode was completed. Another day before the end of these competitions, the Russian men's team took the first line of the team standings. In this case, the lead over the national team of Poland was only one point. The last athlete from the Russian team performed in the weight category up to 93 kg.
Cooperation between IDF and IPAAbout a month ago, A.V.The president of the National Association of Powerlifting received a proposal of a rather unusual character addressed to G.V.Khodosevich, Chairman of the Russian Federation of Powerlifting. All the absolute winners of the tournament "Golden Tiger-VI" have the full right to be admitted to the nearest championship of the Cup of Russia FPR.As Gennady Vladimirovich said in a telephone conversation on this occasion, the Presidium of the IDF was already assembled, whose members, in principle, were not against such a decision.
Carl Christensen about the Titans Cup-2013A Norwegian athlete named Carl Christensen recently announced his desire to participate in the "Titans' Super Bowl".In early June, the traditional national championship took place, where Christensen was able to raise an amount of 1117.5 kg. This will allow him to claim to have access to participation in the most prestigious Russian tournament.
Pavel Myasoedko plans to squeeze 280 kgThe strongest zhivovik in Belarus - Pavel Myasoedko demonstrated his magnificent performance during the European Championship WPA, which ended in Moscow on July 1.Pavel performed in the weight category up to 110 kg, while squeezing the bar with a weight of 262.5 kg without using equipment.
Euro-Asian Powerlifting Championships IPAOn July 8, the application acceptance period for the participation in the Open Powerlifting Championship in IPA \ IPA-A versions ended. These competitions will be held in the period from 10 to 12 August 2012 in the sports palace "Torpedo", in the city of Chelyabinsk.
News about the Gold Tiger-6To the attention of distinguished athletes! This year, in Yekaterinburg, in early October( including the first Sunday of the month), the largest festival of power sports of European level - the traditional tournament "GOLD TIGER - VI" will be held once again. This multi-tournament is also traditionally dedicated to the All-Russian Sports Day in force disciplines, or simply - to the Day of Force! The official website of the tournament remains at the same place: http://www.golden-tiger.ru. Home - & gt;Squatting - & gt;Knee pain with squats
Pain in knees with squats - Powerlifting-NN
According to official statistics in Russia, more than 400 thousand ruptures of ligaments of the knee joint are annually recorded. In fact, this figure is much higher, because not all refer to a doctor. Of course, ligament damage is a serious trauma, but there are other causes of pain in the knees. In the framework of this article, we will only consider knee pain with sit-ups. The knee is one of the most vulnerable places, because this joint connects the two longest bones of the body due to a very complex system of ligaments, muscles and cushioning system. The impact on the knee arises in any of our movements associated with the legs.
Quite often athletes who do squats with a barbell complain of pain in the knee joint. The causes of this pain can be both physiological and purely technical. First of all, the cause of pain can be various diseases, for example, gonarthrosis. This disease occurs as a result of aging or premature wear of the cartilage of the knee joint. The causes of this disease can be malnutrition, viral infections and others. In this case, the treatment is best performed by a physician orthopedic trauma. Do not look for any folk remedies, or do not pay attention to the pain at all, as this disease progresses, and it will only get worse. Having summed up a little, it can be said that knee pain caused by any diseases must be treated by a doctor. Now let us consider other causes of pain, for which we can influence. As a rule, these are purely technical reasons. The most important thing when doing sit-ups is to observe the technique( here is an article on the squatting technique).From the point of view of physiology, squatting with the barbell on the shoulders is the most physiological and it is impossible to damage the knees with the right technique.
Consider the problems of squatting techniques that can be hugely welcomed to knee injury:
1. Insufficient or complete absence of warm-up. Unheated muscles and joints are not always able to cope with the load that you give in training, so they must first be brought to the state of "combat readiness". 2. Insufficient stretching and flexibility. "Clamping" the muscles and lack of flexibility in the joints can also lead to injury, so with insufficient flexibility, you should include stretching exercises in your program. 3. Non-compliance with the squatting technique - the knees fall inward or outward when lifting, which causes a significant load on the knee. In addition, when squatting the hips should look towards the socks, otherwise there are additional loads on the knee cartilage. To exclude such flaws of equipment is necessary at the initial stage of training, since squatting with considerable weight is likely to lead to trauma. 4. Squat best before the parallel. Some recommend squat below the parallel, but this squat repeatedly increases the load on your knees. 5. Do not increase the load sharply. For example, if you squat 150 by 5 times, you should not try to sit 180 kg at the next lesson. Most likely your knees, and the rest of the muscles and joints simply will not be ready for this weight. 6. Many begin the workout with the press of the feet , but some athletes notice that if they move their feet with their feet after squats, their knees will stop hurting.
What to do if the knee of the
is already affected What if you started the approach and you have a knee pain? First, it's better to stop the exercise at once. Pain can not be ignored. If the pain does not pass after stopping squats, it is better to see a doctor. If the pain passes, then try to squat with much less weight and try to determine the condition of the knee. There is one more thing - squatting in bandages. The absolute majority is confident that bandages protect the knee from injuries while squatting, however, this stick also has two ends. On the one hand, bandages do stabilize the knee when squatting, and, on the other hand, bandages give false confidence in the protection and athletes begin to increase weight on the bar, although the muscles and joints are not yet ready for such a jump. Therefore, when knee pain occurs, it is worth crouching with light weight, without using bandages( unless, of course, you used them before). All those who practice power squats are advised to drink food supplements containing glucosamine and chondroitin.