Knee pain after running: causes, treatment and prevention
- Causes of knee pain after running
- What should I do? Treatment
Pain in the knees after running is a widespread phenomenon, especially in those who have not previously engaged in active physical activity. The structure of the knee joint is very complicated, and every day it has a huge load, which increases significantly during running.
Pain after running can occur not only due to pathologies in the joint itself, but also due to damage to the ligament apparatus. Also, under stress, inflammation in the knee, which you did not suspect, may be exacerbated. Therefore, this "warning" from the body should be treated with all seriousness.
Probably, many of you are interested in the question of why knees do not hurt at rest, but start to worry only after running? Such discomfort can arise for the following reasons:
- Traumatic injury of the meniscus. Meniscus is a rounded cartilage in the knee joint. To neighboring cartilages it is attached with the help of ligaments. As a result of a sharp turn of the foot or an unsuccessful squatting, some of the ligament fibers can break off - and there will immediately appear a sharp soreness. After some time the knee area swells, and the patient can not rely on the damaged limb.
- Dislocation of patella( knee cap).This is a frequent trauma, typical for runners, and it does not entail dangerous complications. But with repeated dislocations, the articular ligaments stretch, the knee loses stability, and the trauma will occur again and again. Then the painful sensations after running will become the "norm".Often there is a so-called "knee runner"( destruction of the patella tissue - chondromalacia), manifested by dull pain in the patellar region and decreased mobility of the joint.
- Sprain or rupture of articular ligaments. Such consequences are often due to injury or increased loads. The pain syndrome is acute, swelling of the knee area, limited mobility and soreness by touch.
- Pathologies that can provoke soreness after high loads: arthritis, arthrosis, rheumatism, periarthritis( and other rheumatic knee lesions), bursitis, synovitis, tendonitis. In detail about these diseases we already spoke in the article "Diseases of the knee joint".
- Vascular disorders in the circulatory network, which feeds the knee region. Such pains are unstable, without clear localization and pass independently without taking painkillers. They are typical for adolescents, when in the period of active growth the blood vessels are inferior in speed to the growth of bones. It is also possible the occurrence of vascular pain in the presence of arteries feeding the knees, cholesterol plaques, which narrow the lumen of the vessel and interfere with the normal blood supply of tissues.
Another pain can occur due to incorrect joint movement. Over time, this can lead to the development of inflammation, sprain and chronic meniscus injury. What can be caused by incorrect leg movements while running?
- Running on rough terrain. Because of the unevenness of the soil, the load on the joint structures is distributed unevenly, resulting in permanent micro-traumas that lead to chronic inflammatory processes in the knees and pain sensations.
- Wrong running technique. Pain can occur after running with an emphasis on the heel, when running with inverted feet, and also with an incorrect position of the body during training. This is due to the fact that there is not enough depreciation in the knee, the vertical load increases and constant compression of the joint tissues and structures occurs.
- If the foot is not correctly positioned( for example, with flat feet), the athlete will also have pain in due course. A flat arch of the foot does not allow the leg to spring, and thereby further increases the load on the knees.
- Incorrectly selected sports shoes( too loose and not fixing the leg or vice versa close) forces the joint to work incorrectly and can cause injury to the joint and the appearance of soreness.
- No full workout before running. Unsupported muscles are developed unevenly, thus not allowing the joint to move properly.
It is very important to choose the right shoes for training
What to do for acute and chronic pain?
In acute pain syndrome:
The joint is released from the load. It is necessary to fix it reliably with the help of a bandage or elastic bandage.
Applying a cold compress will dull the pain syndrome. The source of cold( hot water bottle or ice pack) should be dumped into the fabric to prevent frostbite. Keep the cold no more than 15 minutes with a break in an hour. If necessary, repeat the procedure 3-4 times.
The leg should be placed above the body level, giving it a comfortable position.
If the above actions do not help - use anesthetics from a group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Even if the symptoms weak after a while - you still need to see a doctor immediately for advice.
Recommendations for a chronic pain syndrome:
First of all, consult a doctor to identify possible causes of soreness and get recommendations about the possibility of continuing and correcting the training. Perhaps you should start taking chondroprotektorov - funds containing glucosamine and chondroitin - to restore joint tissues and ligament fibers.
Constant use of a bandage or elastic bandage for joint immobilization.
Application of warm compresses or warming ointments will accelerate the metabolic processes in the affected area.
Carry out a thorough warm-up before starting classes.
In case of exacerbation of pain during exercise, it is necessary to stop the load. But you can not abruptly stop here, because you can provoke an additional trauma. You must first go to a step, and only after a while completely stop.
In order to prevent the development of pain after running, it is necessary to observe a number of simple rules:
- Running on level ground is preferable to asphalt or paving stone.
- Observe the correct technique of running: the foot is put straight, a smooth roll is made from the heel to the toe.
- Choose the right footwear, strictly suitable for the size and designed for running( with a flexible bow, hard back, support of the arch of the foot).Lace the shoes should not be tight.
- Plan the intensity and volume of the run so that the load increases gradually. If you do not adhere to this rule, intensive training will lead to overstrain of the muscles, and the increased amount of running excessively strains the joint.
- Do a thorough warm-up before and after training, to stretch and stretch the muscles.
It should be remembered that increased running loads will lead to knee injury, even if all the running rules are observed. If pain occurs, regardless of the cause, immediately consult a doctor. Only a specialist can understand why this symptom arises and prescribe an adequate treatment.
Why after the running knee hurts
Often it happens that after running the knee hurts, while discomforts are cutting or pricking surface character. The hearth is located on the inside of the knee joint. No signs of redness or swelling of the skin.
A frequent reason for the knee pain after running, is trauma( chondromalacia of the patella).It arises because of unnatural and incorrect movements of the joint. The characteristic signs of this pathology are dull pain sensations or stiffness near the patella.
The reasons for why the knees hurt after running are often the wrong movements. As a result, friction, irritation and inflammation of the surface of the joints and ligaments occur. Incorrect movements are observed in the following cases:
1. When running on uneven terrain. The roots of trees, sloping sections of the road, as well as pits and hillocks cause the ankle and foot to work incorrectly. These movements are transmitted to the knee.
2. With the wrong technique of running. Torsion of the trunk during movement and outwardly turned out feet cause the effect of side force on the knee.
3. With flatfoot. This deficiency affects the work of the foot and is transmitted to the knee.
4. At low quality or high wear of running shoes.
5. With overstrain and inelasticity of muscles. This phenomenon causes unnatural movements in the knee.
6. In the case when a run-in warm-up was performed before running. Proper stretching helps to improve the elasticity of the muscles, preparing them for intensive work.
Very painful knee when excessive loads. In this regard, it should be less to run along the asphalt road in unsuitable footwear. The reason that after the running knee hurts, the unpreparedness of the joint to heavy loads can become.
In the event that discomfort in the knee, training should be immediately completed. Resume lessons can be after one or two days, if this does not disturb the pain. It is necessary to take precautions to prevent the occurrence of an unpleasant phenomenon. If the pain does not go away, the training should be abandoned for at least a week. For the rapid elimination of pathology, the use of ice and ointments of an anti-inflammatory nature is recommended. The most commonly used drugs are the following: "Indovazin", "Ibuprofen", "Voltaren", etc. During the break between training, in the absence of pain in the knee, you need to switch to other types of exercise. It is recommended to swim, ride a bike, ski or skate.
In the event that after running the knee hurts, the pathology can be cured in a short time. It is not a chronic trauma requiring long-term therapy and causing relapses even with small overloads in the future.
To avoid the condition when the knee is aching after training, you should run on an even surface with the necessary technique. If there is flat feet, you need to purchase special orthopedic insoles and remember to stretch the muscles before running. Particular attention should be given to the choice of shoes and adhere to the optimal intensity and volume of training.
It's unpleasant for a beginner runner to throw a jogging, because his legs or knees ache after running. And experienced runners also often face this sick topic.
Let's figure out what kinds of injuries threaten runners and how to prevent injuries while running.
Types of injuries when running
Acute and chronic
The first appear abruptly and suddenly. Cracks and fractures of bones, sprains and tendons, ruptures and microfractures of muscles occur simultaneously, for example, as a result of a fall, unnatural turn of the foot, too abrupt movement and similar embarrassments.
The second is more stretched in time. For example, without paying attention to the painful joint and continuing to run, you can "achieve" that the knee will hurt not only after running, but also at rest. And with the sport will have to say goodbye not for a week or two, and at best - for a month.
Types of injuries at the site of damage
1) Chondromalacia of the knee joint.
Simply put, this is the destruction of cartilage. In this case, the knees hurt after running, if training on rough terrain, with descents from the mountain or climbs on it, and also, not picking the right shoes, run on asphalt and concrete covers.
2) Plantar fasciitis.
It is an inflammation of the connective tissue surrounding, holding and nourishing the muscles and tendons of the foot. The main reasons: constant overstrain, movement on hard surfaces, incorrect running technique, excess weight and non-running or worn sneakers.
3) Inflammation of the periosteum ( located in front of the shin).
The legs of the legs ache during and after running as a result of a sharp increase in load, excessive intensity of exercise, aggravated by a lack of recovery between training, strong shock loads.
4) Inflammation of the Achilles ( tendons connecting the calf muscles with heels).
Occurs because of too high loads, unpreparedness and weak stretchability of the tendon, improper selection of running shoes, flat feet.
5) Overexertion of the front of the of the foot( pain accompanied by a tumor).
Sore feet after running for long distances on a hard surface.
6) Syndrome ileal-tibial ligament( extending from the knee outside the thigh).
It can be triggered by descents from the mountain and jogging on rough terrain, aggravated by the weakness of the leg muscles, irregular training, neglecting the warm-up, the features of the leg structure( for example, the letter O) and flat feet.
7) Stress fractures of the foot ( cracks due to excessive use).
Unpleasantness is caused by a sharp increase in load( volume and intensity) and non-shocking sneakers.
In order not to hurt your legs after running, you need
1) Do not force the load.
The length of the session and the distances to be covered increase gradually. This applies to beginners, and experienced runners, and those who have made some break.
The latter especially sin unbalanced load, not corresponding to the current physical state. If a couple of months did not run, you need to start with a light jogging, gradually increasing mileage.
For example, every week increase volume / intensity by 10%.The progress will go smoothly, without revolutions in the exaggerated legs.
2) Initially choose smooth and non-rigid surfaces.
Asphalt and, especially, concrete or paved tracks should be avoided. It is better to run on ground or grassy surfaces, for example, on the side of the same asphalt track.
Until the necessary coordination is developed, the "feeling of the foot", it is not worth moving to the rugged terrain. But also to avoid easy ascents and descents too it is not necessary.
3) Before starting to practice, consult an orthopedic doctor.
He can determine the features of the structure of the legs, reveal flat feet and give practical advice on how to overcome these drawbacks. For example, with the help of special insoles.
4) Correctly choose shoes for running , which sits well on the foot, in size and has high cushioning properties. Monitor the change in shockproof properties and change it in time( approximately after 700-800 km of run).Sneakers and suits for happy-running
5) It is compulsory to do an warm-up before running and hitch after workout. Pay attention to stretching exercises, which are especially needed for older wrestlers.
6) Allow the body to recover between training sessions. Should be at least two days a week, free of jogs. Help to restore proper nutrition, bath and massage.
Those who are friends with their bodies, listen to his signals, plan and analyze the workouts, do not hurt their knees after running, and the feet remind of themselves only pleasant fatigueafter a good circle.
Training you without injury!
Why do my knees hurt after running and during?forces do not run easy?
At first, it's not usual. Secondly, you need to buy sneakers for running, according to the size that would sit. And run on socks. A small pace. Minutes on 40. Better every morning or evening, once we took up running.
If you have damaged cartilage then this article will help you http://cool-body.ru/?p=575
Knees do not cope with the load, continue to run further with pains - there will be problems with the meniscus, and then it's no longer funny. Most likely sneakers with a thick protector on the heel and on it also come on when running - you need to change both the running technique and shoes, and now with the mazhuki knees to smear and wait until it passes.
By the way, all sorts of stretch marks and statical stands are not much less burning calories than running, you can do them at home.
Well, without a diet, any sport before the bulb - will not be losing weight:)
Do not run on the asphalt, only the ground.
Buy glucosamine. Do not straighten your knees completely, ie, go to a slightly bent leg, see the technique of running in the yutube, it's full.
Read the recommendations how to start running, if necessary, then ask your question))
During the running there is a shock load. Since before you did not train and your knees are not used, then they hurt.
To strengthen the knees it is worth doing sit-ups 50 times a day 2-3 times a week. Or sit on the rug
on the heels.http: //mediasubs.ru/group/uploads/ve/ ves-kak-ya-hochu-legko-i-navsegda /image2/ wNDJiNDk2.jpg
It takes time for the knees to adapt. Regularity and persistence will solve this problem.
You can part of the distance at the beginning. It is always difficult to begin. It seems that the whole world is against you.
But the result will come and these problems will disappear by themselves.
you can not run around. I did it when I got a knee. I'm linking this with the fact that you can not go straight to running. Joints are not ready. I started walking with earphones( well distracting from the freaks who look at you( for example I'm doing on the bars and sitting around smoking children and drinking a jaguar looking at me))) I overcame myself).You can walk every day for 40-60 minutes. For 3 months in combination with diet managed to remove 12 kg)