The only complex of exercise therapy that will help to cure arthrosis of the knee
The main task of physiotherapy is to stimulate the mechanisms of natural joint repair. LFK with arthrosis of the knee has a very beneficial effect on both the knee and the body as a whole, but it is critically important to do it correctly. Read on for a detailed description of the correct exercises, important rules and the non-obvious nuances of really effective workouts.
Invaluable pluses of physical training
Regular quality gymnastics:
Increases the amount of movement in the joint.
Reduces muscle tone, thus providing and preventing the development of contractures( degeneration of the muscles in scar tissue).
Improves circulation in the diseased joint, improves nutrition of the destroyed cartilage.
Has a positive effect on the whole body, makes a person more mobile and improves the quality of his life.
Six basic principles of correct training
Physical training should be carried out according to certain rules; is the most important principle - do no harm.
Do not rush things. The load and volume of movements should be increased gradually, forcing the training load only worsens the situation.
Exercises should not cause pain, you should not overcome it. Such "feats" can make you disabled. Exercise should be so as to feel fatigue in the muscle groups, and not pain in the joints - then exercise is performed correctly.
Avoid overloading and do not chase after rapid progress. Remember the Polish folk wisdom: "zu zadadto, it's not sensible"( literal translation: which is too much, then badly).
Regularity. Only daily workouts will help you achieve any visible results.
Physiotherapy for arthrosis of the knee should only be performed during the remission period. During an exacerbation of the disease, when the knee is enlarged and swollen, it is better to provide him with a comfortable rest.
Load both joints equally. Many patients ask a question: "And how to train, if I have only one knee?".With unilateral arthrosis, a sick person instinctively begins to spare the problem joint, while the load on a healthy one increases significantly. So in the opposite knee can also begin to form arthrosis, so exercise therapy should load both joints.
Click on the picture to enlarge
The correct complex of exercise therapy from the doctor
So, we came to the main thing - creating a set of exercises for the diseased knee. The task of exercise therapy is to make the muscles work without loading the joint.
Below are the exercises of Dr. Evdokimenko from his book "Pain in the legs".
Static option. Starting position( IP): lying on the abdomen with straight legs, hands located along the body. Slowly raise the knee straightened at the knee by 15 cm from the floor and fix it in this position for 30-40 seconds. It is important that the leg is lifted by the effort of the thigh muscles and buttocks.
We perform each foot once.
Dynamic option. We perform the same as static, but we hold the foot over the floor for 1-2 seconds. We perform each leg 10-12 times.
Exercise 2 The
IP is the same, only now one leg is bent at the right angle in the knee. Without changing the angle of bending, raise the foot over the floor by 10 cm and hold in this position 30-40 seconds, 1 repetition on each leg. The effort should be applied solely at the expense of the muscles of the thigh and buttock.
Dynamic option. Hold for 1-2 seconds, do 10-12 reps with each leg.
One of the variants of the famous exercise "Swallow".PI as in Exercise 1: raise both legs 10-15 cm above the floor, without hurrying to bred them to the sides, and then reduce them. Do not lower your legs again 8-10 times. It is necessary to watch, that effort, as in the previous exercises, was carried out only by the muscles of the thigh, and not by the hull.
IP: lying on its side, lower leg bent at the knee. Raise the straight upper leg above the floor by about 450 and hold in this position for 30-60 seconds.1 repetition on each leg.
IP: sitting on a chair. Straighten the leg in the knee joint and lift it above the floor as far as we can, hold it in this position for 30-60 seconds. We do 2-3 repetitions with each foot.
IP: standing, holding hands behind the back of the chair. Slowly rise on the socks and stay in this position for about one minute, slowly dropping.
Dynamic option. Do 10-12 repetitions, lingering at the top point for 1-2 seconds.
PI Exerc.6. Leaning on the heels raise the stop up, stay at the top point for 1-2 seconds and fall to the floor;10-12 repetitions.
The former is. We rise on the toe of the left leg, then the right heel goes up, and the left one - downwards - smoothly "roll" on the toes 10-12 times.
The training should end with a self-massage, in order to further warm up and relax the muscles of the thigh.
Therapeutic gymnastics and physical training with knee arthrosis
Therapeutic gymnastics with arthrosis of the knee joint is an effective way to treat this very unpleasant pathology. LFK underlies any scheme of treatment of the disease, at whatever stage of development it may be. In this issue, physicians have accumulated vast practical experience, and the developed methods provide the necessary efficiency.
An important condition for the correctness of the developed treatment program - therapeutic gymnastics for knee arthrosis should be individualized, taking into account the characteristics of the organism of the sick person. Accurate diagnosis of the stage of the disease and consideration of all factors is a guarantee that exercise therapy will become a real medicine for the patient.
The essence of the disease
Osteoarthritis of the knee joints, or gonarthrosis, is a degenerative disease that causes destruction of the cartilaginous tissue, joint deformity and impaired knee function. The initial lesion of the cartilage tissue originates at the molecular level, followed by a change in the structure of the substance, which leads to clouding, thinning and delaminating the cartilage, as well as cracking it in different directions.
In the clinical picture of the development of the disease, three main stages are distinguished. At the first stage, small anomalies of hyaline cartilage are noted, while the joint retains its shape. In its cavity accumulates fluid penetrating the popliteal fossa with the possibility of the appearance of Baker's cyst. Pain syndrome manifests itself when walking and prolonged standing( especially noticeable when descending the stairs), but passes in a state of rest.
The second stage is characterized by a significant thinning of the cartilage, up to the complete disappearance of the napkin. Edge proliferation of bone tissue and narrowing of the cracks develop. Any movements are accompanied by a pain syndrome, and for its weakening a long rest is necessary.
The main signs of the third stage - the disappearance of cartilage in a significant area, obvious bone sclerosis, the appearance of numerous osteophytes, a strong narrowing of the joint gap. Pain syndrome is expressed by increased intensity and does not pass at rest. There is a certain limitation of joint mobility, muscle hypotrophy in the thigh and lower leg, bone deformation begins. Changes in the gait and shape of the extremities are noted.
The causes of gonarthrosis
The following main causes are distinguished in the etiology of the disease: hereditary predisposition laid down at the gene level;old knee injuries;overweight person, causing increased stress on the knee joint;excessive physical exertion;disturbance of metabolic processes as a result of certain diseases, leading to intra-articular deposition of crystals( eg, uric acid);the age factor associated with natural degenerative processes.
Treatment of pathology
Currently, completely can not cure gonarthrosis, but it is possible to stop the destruction of tissues and ensure the full capacity for work of the person, applying an integrated approach to treatment. The current treatment scheme includes the following directions: wearing special knee braces to relieve the stresses from the medial sites;the appointment of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;a diet designed to lose weight;Physiotherapy exercises, including a special set of exercises;reception of muscle relaxants;physiotherapy;The introduction of hyaluronic acid for the replacement of synovial fluid;use of chondroprotectors;prescribing drugs to normalize blood supply and improve blood rheology;PRP-technique, based on the introduction of the drug for the restoration of cartilaginous tissue;surgical treatment if necessary( arthroscopy and arthroplasty of the joint).The most important element of treatment are physical exercises with arthrosis of the knee joint, incl. Special exercises for the elderly with arthrosis.
Basic principles of exercise therapy
LFK for arthrosis is a physical exercise that helps to develop the affected joint, improve the motor function, strengthen the muscles and increase their tone. Charge should be performed according to an individual program, calculated for a long period of systematic treatment. The program should take into account the human condition, stage and phase of the disease;always draw attention to contraindications. In the period of remission exercises with arthrosis of the knee are performed more often, longer and with a greater load, and with exacerbation of the disease, the intensity is minimized.
The following basic principles are generally recognized: physical education should not cause pain;physical loads are initially assigned minimum in size and duration with increasing their intensity - the exercises begin with simple movements with gradual complication;Physical exercise with arthrosis should be regular( without prolonged interruptions).
General rules of
All the schemes of curative gymnastics include the basic rules that do not allow overloading and provide maximum efficiency, but under the main rule - do no harm:
- All movements are made smoothly, at a slowed pace, and their amplitude grows gradually.
- Exercises are conducted daily.
- The total duration of physical education during the day should not exceed 35-45 minutes with a separation of 3-4 periods in 10-15 minutes each.
- Rest after each session should be at least 4 hours.
- The number of repetitions of one exercise in the initial period( 12-14 days) is no more than 4-5 times with the subsequent increase to 6-10 times, if necessary.
- The exercise should begin with the relaxation of the leg muscles to improve the flow of blood.
- After each lesson, rest is provided - in a reclining position with relaxed elongated legs, slightly apart;bending of the legs in the knees or rest sitting is not recommended.
- Good consolidation of medical gymnastics - easy independent massage of the joint and the entire limb for 6-8 minutes.
Exercises of medical gymnastics
In LFK, gonarthrosis includes both very simple and more complex exercises, depending on the severity of the joint damage.
They are conducted from a different starting position( IP): lying down, sitting and standing;and in the prone position on the bed there can be IP on the side, back or stomach.
Exercises in lying position. The most common exercises are exercises performed in the supine position:
- IP: hands along the trunk;on inhalation, the arms are raised and withdrawn slightly backwards while bending the feet to themselves, exhaling to return to the FE.
- On inhalation, the knee is pulled to the abdomen with one hand on one leg, on exhalation - return to the FE;then the same exercise is performed with the other leg.
- The legs bend at the knees with the pelvis raised.
- PI: legs bent at the knees. First one leg goes up and down, then the same happens with the other leg.
- Spreading one straight leg to the side and returning;then the same with the other leg.
- IP: hands along the trunk;on inhalation both arms and leg rise, on exhalation - return to the FE.
- Repeats with the other leg.
- Exercise "Bike" for 12-15 seconds.
- Exercise "Scissors" with raised legs for 10-12 seconds.
In the supine position, the exercises are performed first on the left and then on the right:
- The lower leg is bent at the knee, and the upper leg in the straight state rises to a height of 25-30 cm.
- Alternate flexion of the legs in the knee joint.
- Alternate retraction of the leg back and forth.
In the supine position, the following exercises are recommended:
- IP: hands under the chin;alternately legs in a straight state rise.
- On inspiration, the head and upper body rises without detaching legs from the surface, on exhalation - returning to the FE.
- Alternate bending of the legs in the knee with the rise of the lower limb.
- Simulate swimmer movements when swimming with a crawl.
Exercises in a sitting position( sitting on a chair).It is possible to offer such exercises( IP - the back is straight, hands rest on a chair):
- "Shaking with the feet": rapid alternating flexion and extension of the legs in the knee.
- Alternately straighten the leg to the right angle with the fixation in the upper position for 2-3 seconds.
- Rising from a chair with a raising of hands and quick return back.
- Raise both legs at right angles and dilute them to the side.
Exercises in standing position are carried out using a support on the back of a chair or table. Most often the following movements are carried out:
- Hands embrace the back of the chair;The legs are alternately withdrawn as far as possible.
- IP: standing sideways to the chair, hands on the back;alternate flies straight leg forward and backward.
Exercises for the Hatha Yoga system. When gonarthrosis, several exercises are included in the complex of Hatha Yoga exercises:
- PI: standing, feet shoulder width apart, arms lowered;inclination of the trunk with reaching the hands of the toes with a slight lowering of the trunk;breathing is even.
- IP: sitting on the knees, the body is upright, the arms are lowered;it is necessary to sit smoothly on the heels and stay in this state for 1.5-2 minutes.
- IP: sitting on the floor, legs straight;slow inclination without flexing of legs, duration of exercise - 1,5-2 minutes.
Physical exercises should be combined with outdoor walks, swimming, bath procedures, solarium, as well as combined with physiotherapy procedures and therapeutic massage. Be healthy!
Of all the diseases affecting joints, arthrosis is the most common today, it affects 11-18% of the world's population. Mostly it affects women aged 40-55 years, but this is not a reason for despair( in general this condition negatively affects not only health, but now it's another) because for treatment you will need a simple set of exercises for arthrosis and will not take awaya lot of time. So let's start:
What is arthrosis and how is it most effectively treated?
Arthrosis( osteoarthritis) is a group of diseases, which is based on the defeat of all components of the joint: cartilage( in the first place), near the cartilage, periarticular muscles, synovial membrane, capsules, ligaments.
Osteoarthritis is not an inflammatory disease, it is a distant error and therefore has nothing to do with arthritis or chronic polyarthritis. A typical representative of the disease is deforming osteoarthritis. Most often affected joints of the spine( osteochondrosis), joints of the hands, joints of the legs, knees, ankle joints of the lower extremities, hip carriers carrying a large mechanical load.
At the first stage, at the beginning of the disease, the joint crunches with sharp movements, and when bending, unpleasant pain sensations arise. With the development of the disease, there is a sharp pain in motion, which subsides during sleep. After rest, there is a short-term so-called starting pain, which is caused by friction of the surfaces of the joints, on which fragments of bone and cartilage destruction( destruction) - detritus.
When moving in the joint, detritus is gradually pushed into the twist of the joint bag and the pains decrease or stop completely.
The so-called joint blockade, or stiff joint, is also possible, a strong sharp pain that deprives the person of the ability to make a slight movement in this joint, due to the formation of the so-called "articular mouse" cartilage or bone fragment with infringement of it between the joint surfaces or insertion into softperiarticular tissues.
Usually, osteoarthritis develops stepwise and slowly, the first stage begins with the defeat of one or more joints, the second stage continues with the inclusion of other joints in the process. Most often this happens because the initially diseased joint transfers the load to the "neighbors" for its unloading.
If arthrosis is not treated, over the years any movement will cause pain.
What should I do?
For the preservation of joint mobility, regular physical training is of paramount importance.
Performing various exercises, you inject a healthy amount of movements in the joints, which leads to the preservation of the normal function of the muscular-tendon corset and cartilage, improves mobility and strengthens the joints.
It is very important to perform daily exercises for extension-flexion of joints. Remember;that when improving it is not necessary to throw a complex. But it is necessary to balance the resting state( every 4-6 hours during the day, which is necessary for rehydration of the articular cartilage), periods of exercise and other activities.
Complex of exercises for arthrosis
- The initial position on the back is on the firm surface of the foot, the legs are stretched out. Bend the knee, the foot should not touch the floor, try to keep the distance 10-15 cm from the floor. Hold for 5 seconds. Legs alternate. Repeat 5 times.
- Without changing the position( the original lying on the back), the leg is bent in the hip and knee joints. Alternately perform flexion-extensor movements.
- Also the position, now perform the flexion-extensor movement in both knees.
- Pull your legs forward, try to relax them. Bend your right leg and press your hands to your body for a few seconds, then lower your foot to the floor and straighten your leg. Repeat with your left foot. Repeat from 10 to 15 times.
- Since childhood, all known exercise is a bicycle. We imitate riding a bicycle. The legs are raised at a right angle( 90 degrees).Repeat from 30 to 70 times or more. At the end of the exercise, accelerate the movement.
- Position lying on the back. Straighten your leg and lift it 20-30 cm above the floor and hold it for a few seconds, lower it. Repeat for the other leg. Perform 20-30 times.
- Change position and lie on your stomach. We try to touch the heel to the buttocks, alternately bend the legs in the knees. Do not tear your hips off the floor. Run 20 to 50 times.
- In the same position, when bending, fix the foot for a few seconds. Strand your legs.
- Seated position. Straighten your back. Bend-unbend legs with moderate amplitude. Exercise as often as possible.(you can use a small load)
- Do not change the position. Raise the leg and fix it at a right angle for 3 seconds parallel to the floor. Stop the same way at the right angle. Perform with the other leg. With proper exercise, you should feel the tension in the muscles of the lower leg and thighs.
Preventive exercises for walking
Walking in the park, you can perform the following simple complex:
- Use your right hand on the tree trunk, the fence or the wall of the house, then pick up the left foot with your left hand and pull it up. Change the hand on the tree and do the same with the right foot.
- Stand up and try to relax. Then put your right foot forward, and move the weight to your left foot, lean your hands against the knee of your right foot and lean forward slightly. Your left foot will bend a little. And the right one will stretch out slightly. Repeat the exercise with your left foot.
- With outstretched hands lean against a tree. Take the left leg a step back, and the right one slightly bend in the knee. Weight should be transferred to the left leg. Repeat this exercise with your right foot.
- Now stand up straight, feet shoulder-width apart. Now gently bend the left leg in the knee and just squat. Hands lean on your left foot and bow a little forward. Then repeat the exercise on the right foot.
- Sit in the park on the bench, slightly stretching your legs forward. Grab your arms around your legs and slowly lower your head to your knees. Straighten up. Repeat the exercise several times.
If you combine a set of exercises for arthrosis with hirudotherapy, then the effectiveness of treatment will be 100%.
What is hirudotherapy for arthrosis
German doctors recently conducted an experiment that proved the effectiveness of occupational therapy - treatment with leeches osteoarthritis of the knee joints.
Pain manifestations in patients began to decline rapidly on the third or fourth day after the start of treatment with leeches, and on the twenty-eighth day they completely disappeared. The treatment gave a stunning result and showed its effectiveness: ten out of ten patients stopped complaining and feeling pain in their knees. And in groups receiving traditional medication, only four out of ten patients got rid of pain.
Today it is proved that the saliva of the medical( curative) PIATKI contains a huge amount of biologically active substances that can have a beneficial effect on the body as a whole and received recommendations in almost all spheres of medicine.
But occupational therapy should not be involved in the following cases: with reduced blood clotting, with anemia, with severe exhaustion of the body, also during pregnancy, as well as with individual intolerance( for many, the last factor is key).In addition, hirudotherapy should be prescribed and conducted by a doctor.
Physiotherapy exercises for arthrosis of the knee joint
LFK with arthrosis of the knee joint is one of the main methods of treatment. It helps:
- Maintain normal joint mobility.
- Increase muscle strength and flexibility.
- Control weight.
- Improve the performance of CCC( cardiovascular system).
Complex of exercises of exercise therapy for arthrosis of the knee:
- Lying on the back, bend and unbend legs in the knee. Make an exercise of 10 repetitions.
- Place a rolled towel under the knee-hole. Straining the front muscles of the thigh with the knee on the towel, hold this position for 5 seconds. Make an exercise of 10 repetitions.
- Exercise should be performed standing in front of a chair. One hand to hold onto the table, the other to clasp the outer surface of the foot, maximally bend the leg in the knee. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Make 4 repetitions.
- The exercise is standing. Put the heel of your foot on a step or chair, your back is straight, your knee is as straight as possible. Body tilt forward until it stops, do not bend the leg in the knee! In this position, stay for 15 seconds. Make 4 repetitions. The purpose of the exercise is to strengthen the hamstring.
- Exercise is performed while standing. Hands rest in the wall, bend one leg in the knee, in front of the other( sick), straightened, is from behind. Gently make a lunging forward, heels can not be torn off the ground. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Make 4 repetitions. The purpose of the exercise is to strengthen the popliteal muscle.
- This exercise should be performed lying on the back. A roller is placed under the knee area. The leg is relaxed. Slowly straighten the knee as far as possible. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Make 4 repetitions. The purpose of the exercise is to strengthen the popliteal muscle.
- The exercise is sitting. The leg in the knee is bent, the angle is about 45 degrees. Press the heel on the floor, hold this position for 5 seconds. Make 10 repetitions.
Patients who are diagnosed with arthrosis of the knee joint, therapeutic gymnastics allows to maintain a full range of movements.
Physiotherapy for arthrosis of the knee joint
Complexes of exercise should be performed three times a week, preferably every other day, so that the muscles can recover. The number of repetitions gradually increases. To perform the exercises you will need an expander and a Swiss ball.
- Exercise is performed while sitting on a chair. One end of the expander is fixed on the leg of the chair, the other on the ankle of the trained leg. The back is straight. Slowly straighten the knee due to the strain of the anterior muscle of the thigh. We start with 3 approaches for 10 repetitions.
- Exercise is performed while lying on the abdomen. One end of the expander is securely fixed, the other on the ankle of the trained leg. Slowly bend the leg in the knee. We start with 3 approaches for 10 repetitions.
- The exercise is standing. The ball is placed between the wall and the back, pressing it, thereby fixing. Legs shoulder width apart. Slowly start squatting, keeping your back straight. We start with 3 approaches for 10 repetitions.
It is not necessary to follow the recommended number of approaches at once. With arthrosis of the knee joint, exercise therapy should bring you joy, and not deliver unpleasant painful sensations.
Yoga with arthrosis of the knee joint is the best option for daily help to your body. For the beginning the patient should consult with the attending physician. Optimal individual selection of the complex of exercises, focused on your condition is considered.
Massage is one of the most effective methods of treatment and prevention of diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Massage is prescribed for arthrosis of the knee joint to reduce symptoms and improve the course of the disease. As a result of this treatment, blood circulation improves, muscle tone, flexibility and pain relief increase.
Physical exercises and rest are very important for people suffering from such a disease. Almost always doctors recommend running for arthrosis of the knee joint. But before running, the patient must train his body with daily exercises to increase endurance. First you need to get used to walking at a speed of 5 km / h or more. Such walks should last at least 30 minutes. Gradually, the tempo and time increase.
The conscientious and systematic implementation of all the recommendations( exercise therapy, massage, gymnastics) with arthrosis of the knee joint, will help slow the progression of the disease and preserve the habitual way of life.
Also recommend reading