Pain from the wrist to the elbow: reasons, treatment
Physicians often have to deal with patients' complaints that they have pain from the wrist to the elbow. Moreover, doctors with such a problem are treated not only by those whose professional activities involve physical stress on the hands, but also those who "work their heads".
General picture of the disease
Pain in the hands of a unilateral character is most often observed. This means that only the left or right arm can hurt. Often the pain covers the whole arm, but there is also a localization in one place, for example, only from the inside. This is due to the fact that one of the structural elements of the bone was affected.
By nature, the pain is also different. This phenomenon can be temporary, but if the hands are constantly hurt from the wrist to the elbow, this indicates possible serious violations. In this case it is necessary to pass the diagnosis and seek professional help.
Causes of pain in the hand
If the arm from the wrist to the elbow hurts, the first thing to do is to determine the cause of the problem. Only after this can we talk about treatment. The causes of such a problem can be common, such as fatigue or trauma, and more serious, which indicate violations in the work of internal organs. First, we will determine the general reasons:
- Professional load. A fairly common phenomenon - when the arm is hurted from the elbow to the wrist with the load on it. Such a condition arises because of functional disorders. Some professions lead to the fact that the muscles on the arm are constantly strained, and because there is no possibility to leave work for a long period, there is no time for a full rest. As a result, carpal tunnel syndrome develops. This is a fairly common disease to date, and suffer from it representatives of modern professions: programmers, cashiers, dispatchers, artists, pianists. The fact is that these professions presuppose monotonous movements of the brush, as a result of which the load is only for a certain group of muscles. Tendons in this place become inflamed, swell and squeeze the nerve endings that pass in the radiocarpal canal. In this case, the arm hurts from the elbow to the wrist from the inside. Such inflammation can also appear as a result of microtraumas, which can disrupt blood circulation and even lead to the gradual destruction of tissue. From this problem people suffer, whose work is associated with heavy physical exertion, for the most part falling into the hands.
- Sports activities , in addition to the obvious positive effect, can cause the hands to hurt from the wrist to the elbow. Here the whole point is that as a result of constant training the muscles are in a strained state. It is dangerous in that it threatens with the appearance of inflammation, while the muscles become denser. There are so-called tendinitis. Thus, during the movement, the nerve endings will be pinched, causing pain in their hands.
- Injuries to .This is a very obvious reason that your hands hurt from the wrist to the elbow. Trauma can result from any mechanical damage, be it beats or falls. The nature of such pain is understandable. It will appear sharply, besides the tissues that surround the damaged bone, can become inflamed or swell.
Which diseases lead to the
problem The causes of pain in the hand can be not only mechanical injuries or peculiarities of professional activity, but also diseases of internal organs or systems that people sometimes do not even guess. Most often it can be:
- Diseases of the joints. These include arthritis or osteoarthritis. These diseases can cause severe pain in the joints of the elbow and wrist. The affected area may turn red or even swell. In this case, the movements of the sick arm will have to be severely limited.
- Neurological disorders. In this case, the primary cause is a disruption of the peripheral nervous system. As a result, the muscles of the arms atrophy, paralysis can develop. However, the symptoms of the disease develop rather slowly. At first a person feels pain and weakness of the hands, it is difficult for him to do even everyday things.
- Diseases of the spine. This is, first of all, an osteochondrosis that can cause pain in the arm from the shoulder to the wrist.
As evidenced by pain in the left hand
As already mentioned, pain in the hands often have a one-sided nature. The right hand often hurts because of a person's professional activity. But why does the left arm hurt from the elbow to the wrist? There can be many reasons for this, beginning with the formation of the intervertebral hernia in the cervical region and ending with a sharp attack of the infarction. Therefore, it is necessary to distinguish signs. In addition to the common causes for both hands, the pain in the left can also indicate the diseases of some internal organs, in particular the heart and lungs.
Diagnosis of pain in the hands is not particularly difficult for modern medicine. First of all, it is necessary to check whether this problem is connected with a dangerous state for life. These include heart disease, trauma, and intervertebral hernia. For this it is necessary to conduct:
- radiography of the spine;
- X-ray of the diseased limb and humerus zone;
- computer scanning of problem departments;
- nuclear magnetic resonance scanning.
In addition, clinical research methods should be assigned. With their help, you can determine whether the body has autoimmune processes, as well as possible pathologies caused by various infections.
How to reduce pain at home
What can I do if my arm hurts from the elbow to the wrist? The treatment here will depend entirely on the results of the diagnosis, but you can try to alleviate the condition at home.
- If the pain is caused by the fact that the muscles are in constant tension, you need to let them relax every 15-20 minutes. To do this, it is enough to restructure your schedule. In addition, in the workplace, you can perform special exercises that will not only relax the muscles, but also strengthen them.
- If the cause of the pain in the hand is trauma, it is necessary to immobilize the injured limb. The hand should remain fixed in the position in which you do not experience pain. It is advisable to remain in this position before the arrival of a doctor.
- A little help with cold compress helps. It will help to remove the swelling and inflammation.
Any other types of treatment can be carried out only on the advice of a doctor and under his supervision. The fact is that there are a lot of reasons for the pain in the hand. Trying to get rid of painful sensations, you can cause serious harm to health.
To which doctors contact
When faced with the problem of the appearance of pain in the hands, not everyone knows what doctors need to be treated. To you can help:
- the traumatologist;
The surest strategy in choosing a therapy is to eliminate the cause of the onset of pain. However, with severe pain, doctors can also prescribe symptomatic treatment.
Causes and treatment of pain in the elbow jointIt is almost impossible to meet a person who at least once in a lifetime would not have contracted an elbow. The causes of the appearance of such pain can be very different, ranging from a simple bruise and ending with the development of serious diseases, for example, tumors. Although pain in the elbow is found at any age and depends little on sex, nevertheless, in sportsmen they meet somewhat more often.
The structure of the elbow joint
In the formation of the elbow joint involved 3 bones: humerus, ulnar and radial. The joint is covered with an articular capsule, which on the inside forms numerous folds, pockets and bags. The elbow is strengthened with 4 large ligaments, large vessels pass through it, blood supplying the arm from the elbow to the wrist and further, as well as 3 important nerves, which, when loaded, can initiate pain in the elbow during flexion and extension.
The elbow joint moves the following muscles:
- from shoulder to elbow - biceps and shoulder triceps, shoulder, elbow;
- from the elbow joint to the hand - a brachial, round pronator and others.
Why elbows hurt: the most common causes of
The arm at the elbow can hurt for the following reasons:
- inflammation in the joint or surrounding tissues of an infectious or non-infectious nature;
- degenerative-dystrophic processes;
- traumatic injuries;
- pathological changes in nerves and vessels;
- features movement in the elbow in representatives of some professions and sports.
What damage to the elbow can cause pain?
Elbow can hurt with:
Usually a bruise occurs when a strong elbow strike, for example, if the fall is unsuccessful. In this case, pain can be of varying degrees of intensity and accompanied by bruising, swelling of soft tissues, as well as neuritis of the ulnar nerve.
- for the first 3 days - periodic application of an ice bladder to the elbow area;
- with blood accumulation in the joint cavity - puncture of the elbow joint, removal of blood;
- immobilization of the joint for 1-1,5 weeks with the application of gypsum lingeta. After removing the bandage, exercise therapy is prescribed.
It can occur with a fall, unsuccessful movement, and in children - and with a sharp snatch for the hand with the hand extended. Often accompanied by a detachment of small fragments of bone and deformation of the joint with the appearance of pathological mobility.
- cold on the joint area;
- repositioning of the joint by a trauma doctor;
- application of plaster bandage up to 2-3 weeks;
- if aching pain persists, then taking anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs;
- after removal of gypsum - joint development, physiotherapy exercises.
As a rule, fractures are combined with dislocation, accompanied by severe and severe pain, as well as causing damage to passing nerve trunks and large vessels( numbness, loss of sensitivity, inability to move fingers, etc.).
- analgesia, application of ice;
- restoration of bone integrity( manual reposition, traction, surgical intervention);
- plaster bandage for 2-6 weeks, taking anti-inflammatory and analgesics;
- after removal of gypsum - gradual joint development, physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapy procedures.
Diseases of the elbow joint, accompanied by pain
The most common pathological conditions not related to direct injury are:
- deforming osteoarthritis;
- reflected pain due to other diseases.
Other names for this disease are the elbow of a tennis player, a golfer, although it can occur in everyone whose elbows are exposed to excessive loads or traumatizing the tendons of the corresponding muscles( kernel throwers, plasterers, cleaners, carpenters, etc.).If during the training of sports there was pain in the elbow, then the load on the joint should be stopped immediately, and after training it is necessary to see the doctor.
The main symptom of epicondylitis is acute pain in the elbow, which is enhanced by lifting the weight, flexing, extending, or rotating the arm. In this case, because of pain, movements such as working with a screwdriver or turning a tight tap are especially difficult. At rest, the arm, as a rule, does not hurt, however, when pressing the joint, pain can be felt.
Help: physical calmness of the limb, the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, plaster bandage or a special fixative bandage.
This degenerative elbow disease, which is based on the gradual destruction of articular surfaces. It develops due to worsening of blood circulation in this area, as well as after injuries due to violation of congruence of articular surfaces.
First the patient feels the pain in the elbow periodically, it is aching and tolerant enough. At the initial stages of the movement are preserved in full. At later stages of the disease, joint deformation occurs, impaired mobility, painful sensations( pain, pulling, aching, can be observed at rest, accompanied by a characteristic crunch).
Treatment: taking medications that improve blood supply and nutrition of the joint. If necessary, surgical procedures are performed - plastic or an elbow replacement.
It can be rheumatoid, gouty, psoriatic, tubercular or simply reactive arthritis. The disease is characterized by inflammation of the inner lining of the joint, edema and painfulness of the elbow and surrounding tissues. Severity of pain increases when lifting weights, flexing or flexing the arm at the elbow. Depending on the nature of the underlying disease, the elbow can only hurt on one arm or both.
Treatment: with purulent arthritis, a puncture is recommended with subsequent washing of the joint cavity with solutions of antiseptics, if necessary, intra-articular administration of preparations that reduce inflammation. Gouty, psoriatic, tubercular, rheumatoid arthritis is treated taking into account the therapy of the underlying disease, which led to their occurrence.
Actually it is an inflammation of the joint bag. The main symptoms of this disease are puffiness of the elbow, slight soreness in movement. It often develops with arthritis and is treated in a similar way.
Osteochondrosis, myocardial infarction, angina, some types of stroke can be accompanied by a phenomenon of reflected pain, when the joint itself is absolutely healthy, but the patient feels pain in the elbow. In this case, all movements in the joint are preserved in full, palpation of the elbow is absolutely painless, there is no swelling or redness of the skin.
Reflected pains are usually permanent, tend to increase at night. Such pain passes through the entire arm, is not localized solely in the elbow joint. Passes when treating the underlying disease.
tumors Also accompanied by pain syndrome as the tumor grows. In the elbow, this is most often a synovium or neurinoma of the ulnar nerve.
What to do when the elbow joint hurts?
If you have joint pain, the best thing a person can do is to see a doctor to find out the cause of the pain. After the examination and examination of the doctor, it is advisable to take a course of recommended treatment.
If there are pains in the elbow, the following in-depth examination is usually prescribed:
- X-ray of the elbow joint in the straight and lateral projections;
- MRI or CT of the elbow;
- for suspected malignant tumor - biopsy followed by histological examination, positron emission tomography, ultrasound of internal organs;
- biochemical blood test.
Treatment with folk remedies
Treatment with folk medicine should be done only after consultation with the doctor and only as an additional therapy( it should not replace the basic treatment of a doctor).To relieve pain in the elbow, it is usually recommended to externally apply cabbage leaf, rub the elbow with warming ointments, and inside take various anti-inflammatory herbs of herbs.
If the hand hurts from the elbow to the wrist, then a fairly large number of pathological processes can be suspected. Only after performing the necessary clinical studies can you accurately say why there are unpleasant sensations. But for this it is necessary to consult a doctor.
The causes of pain from the elbow to the wrist can hide in the pathology of bone tissue, muscles, vessels or nerve bundles. And now more in detail about the reasons.
Trauma is the most common cause of pain in the arm. The area from the elbow to the wrist suffers as a result of a man's attempt to protect himself from anything, to shield his face or neck. Therefore, this area is more prone to injury.
The elbow joint is a rather complex formation, as the articular surfaces are formed by three bones. Therefore, biomechanics of the joint is more difficult than in joints with two contact surfaces. The elbow joint can be involved in the following pathological processes:
- Arthritis - inflammation of the joint tissues against a background of any systemic pathological process( rheumatism, diabetes, systemic lupus erythematosus, psoriasis).
- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease of cartilage of the joint. In this case, the cartilage loses its functions, the volume of movement in the joint is markedly reduced. Gradually, the "cicatricial" cartilage begins to grow on the site of normal cartilage, gradually forming osteophytes.
- Gout is a disease associated with the accumulation of urea salts in joints. In connection with this, the joint ceases to function normally, and exacerbations of gout cause severe pain. The most common manifestations of gout occur at the first metatarsophalangeal joint, but in some cases the disease may affect the elbow joint.
Bursitis is an inflammation of synovial bags that perform a cushioning function and make the muscles move smoothly. In the area of the elbow, there are three bags: irradiation, interosseous and subcutaneous ulnar. Ulcers are more often affected. The main symptoms:
- pain in the elbow;
- is a swelling that can be warm to the touch and is hyperemic;
- palpation is felt the presence of fluid in the area of the inflamed bag;
- increase in body temperature.
This intricate Latin name means inflammation of the anatomical structures of the humerus - epicondyles, which are located in the elbow area and serve to attach the muscles of the forearm. Inflammation of the epicondyle can result from excessive loads on the muscles of the forearm, while performing a monotonous systematic work, which is associated with the constant squeezing and unclenching of the hand. That's why most often it can affect plumbers, mounters, mechanics.
The main symptoms of epicondylitis:
- hurts the right or left side of the elbow when the wrist is squeezed or unclenched;
- movement of the forearm also causes pain;
- is a characteristic symptom - a "handshake symptom" when the hand hurts to such an extent that it is impossible to shake hands or take a cup;
- passive brush movements are painless.
Affection of nervous structures
A large number of nerves pass from the elbow to the hand, which originate from the spinal cord. Therefore, even infringement of nerves at the level of the cervical spine as a result of cervical osteochondrosis can lead to pain in the hand.
Atherosclerosis of the vessels of the hands
Lesion of the arteries of the arm with atherosclerosis is less common than atherosclerosis of the lower extremities, head, heart. But still, with narrowing of the arteries or blockage of her thrombus, there may be an ischemia, or oxygen starvation, of the tissues of the hand, which will lead to a severe pain syndrome.
An oncological disease can affect bone tissue, wrist muscles. The so-called myeloma replaces normal bone tissue with a malignant "clone".This is accompanied by brittle bones, a violation of posture, infectious diseases due to a decrease in the body's immune defenses.
Osteoporosis is associated with hormonal changes in the body that can occur with age, with relative or absolute failure of hormones.
Tendo is a Latin word for the tendon. Tendonitis is the inflammation of tendons. This process can develop as a result of excessive loads on the hand or permanent microtraining. And since the forearm has a large number of tendons, the appearance of tendinitis can occur closer to the elbow or at the wrist level.
Treatment of pain in the arm
Most of the causes of pain in the arm from the elbow to the wrist are inflammatory. That's why the following drugs are often prescribed:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. These drugs are used primarily because they eliminate pain of varying intensity, and also reduce the inflammatory response. This is especially true for arthritis, arthrosis, gout.
- Antibacterial agents. Inflammation often has a bacterial nature, so the use of antibiotics is mandatory.
- Hormones. In severe cases of diseases, with autoimmune inflammation of the elbow joint, hormone therapy is used to reduce uncontaminated inflammation. Drugs based on Prednisolone are used.
For the treatment of atherosclerosis prescribe a constant intake of statins, aspirin. It is necessary to adhere to a diet with low cholesterol.
In addition to drug treatment it is necessary to resort to operational methods. This is necessary for injuries with fractures, wounds, with purulent joint processes, purulent tendinitis, bursitis. In doing so, puncture the joint, arthroscopy, open interventions.
A special place is occupied by physiotherapy procedures, which affect the affected joint, muscles, tendons. But during the acute stage of the disease, physical factors can only exacerbate the situation. Also it is impossible to apply physioprocedures for tumor diseases.
In addition, pain in the left arm can occur with myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease.
Diseases in which there is pain in the hand
Above, we briefly said for some reason, there may be pain in the hand. Now a few comments:
- Currently, one of the typical causes of the appearance of pain in the hand is the illness of the computer programmer. It develops due to long work at the computer, when the right hand is constantly in one position, on a computer mouse. At the same time, blood circulation in the limb is impaired, and insufficient nutrients are supplied. Insufficiency of blood circulation is manifested by coldness of the hand, the appearance of aching pains in it. In addition, the median nerve can be clamped, which causes sensations of numbness, tingling, pain. There is a decrease in strength when flexing the hand, I and II fingers, a decrease in sensitivity on their palmar surface.
- When stretching the muscles and ligaments, aching pain in the hands of appears, everyday actions by hands become difficult to perform, with the load on the damaged muscles the pain intensifies. With the rupture of ligaments, the pain is acute, intense. Movements in the hands are greatly hampered, it is impossible to hold an object in your hand.
- Arthritis of the joints can be caused by very many causes( this includes rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and gout).then an inflammatory disease, in which the joint swells, the skin over it becomes hot, there is pain.
- Rheumatoid arthritis affects the smallest joints( interphalangeal).In the morning, stiffness of movements occurs, lasting about 30 minutes. Pain with rheumatoid arthritis appears already in the first stage, when the synovial bag of the joint swells, the local temperature rises, and the visible swelling is visible. After compaction of synovial joints, the process changes to cartilage and bone, which is manifested by increased pain, deformity of the joints and impaired motor functions.
- Pain in the hand can be caused by excessive deposition of urates in the joints of .Such a disease is called gout. The joints of the hand with gout are not affected as often as the joints of the foot. The pain syndrome is so intense that even the touch of the sheet becomes unbearable.
- Osteoarthrosis affects articular cartilage, more often small joints of the hand, causes their deformation. The disease has a connection with inflammatory processes. Osteoarthritis can last for a long time without symptoms. Pain appears when the disease progresses, when the bones, joints and periarticular tissues are damaged. With physical activity, soreness increases, and at rest can disappear altogether. In addition to pain, osteoarthritis is manifested by a specific crunch in the joints during movement.
- With osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernia of the cervical section of , pain in the hand is accompanied by numbness, a feeling of crawling, a decrease in sensation in the hand, and motor impairment. In addition, there is often a headache.
- In the syndrome of the anterior staircase , tenderness in the arm grows at night, during a deep breath, with the arm sideways and the head tilted. The strength of the muscles of the hand is reduced, the skin becomes pale, even cyanotic, there is swelling.
What to do with pain in the arm
With muscle pain that has occurred after recent sprains or bruises, you can use special cooling gels and creams that have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. These include: Diclofenac, Voltaren, Orthofen, Bystrumgel, Venoruton-gel, DIP Relif, Indovazin, Indomethacin, Ketonal, Fastumgel. In neuralgia, it is advisable to use warming ointments that reduce pain and have an anti-inflammatory effect: Naise-gel, Nikoflex, Finalgon, Analgos, Apizarthron, etc. Most of these ointments can be used for arthritis of various etiologies( with joint pain).
In the case of pain that is painful for a long time, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Perhaps this is a symptom of a serious illness, in which treatment should be prescribed only by a doctor.
To which doctors to handle with pain in the hand
If you do not know the cause of the pain in your hand, visit the therapist. In addition, you can contact a traumatologist, a surgeon, a neurologist and a rheumatologist.Dmitry Voroshilov
I have a stitching pain in my hands. Sometimes it seems that thousands of needles dig into my palms. Tell me what to do and what it can be.
is either nerves or microcirculation. Go to a better therapist, he will figure it out.
Hello, I'm 27. five days ago began aching pain in the thumb of his left hand. The finger did not turn red and did not swell. The pain is possibly pulsating. Today, the shoulder of the same left hand and the feeling that the temperature of the arm rose from the shoulder to the ulnar fold was affected. The finger continues to hurt in a calm position. What it can be and to whom to turn and whether it is necessary to apply.
Like a mosquito bite in the hands, sometimes in the face, until you touch it. Strong aching neck pain on the head or in the hands, especially if there was a breeze and felt the temperature difference.
Pain in the left hand.especially when flexing and unbending fingers.pain gives all over the arm to the shoulder joint. In the hand of power, nothing is possible to take.DiscussionsSign up with a paid doctor