Deforming arthrosis of the shoulder joint and its treatment
Arthrosis of the shoulder joint is a pathological process characterized by dystrophic and degenerative changes in the shoulder joint, as well as in the surrounding anatomical formations - in the joint capsule and in the ligaments. This leads to structural disorders, to deformation of the joint. Therefore, this process is still called deforming arthrosis of the shoulder. As a result of all these changes, motor impairments develop in the shoulder girdle, and the hand as a working organ can not perform its functions.
Arthrosis of the shoulder does not develop as often as a similar process in the joints of the lower limbs - the knee and hip. After all, the static load of a body weight here does not matter. But the features of the performed functions are crucial in the development of such a pathology as shoulder arthrosis. Why is that?
The fact is that our shoulder joint has a spherical configuration. Here, wide-amplitude motions are realized in 3 planes. Therefore, the joint capsule here is loose, the ligaments are initially weak, and the area of contact between the articular surfaces of the head of the humerus and the articular cavity of the scapula is relatively small. This creates fertile soil for various types of injuries - dislocations of the humerus, ruptures and micro-ruptures( dilations) of the capsule and ligaments of the shoulder joint. It is injuries( more precisely - their consequences) are the leading cause of shoulder arthrosis.
In addition to injury to the development of this pathology can lead to chronic traumatic injuries in certain types of work( lifting and carrying heavy loads, painting) or sports( tennis, gymnastics, weightlifting).In rare cases, arthrosis in the shoulder joint may be a consequence of inflammation( arthritis) of rheumatic, gouty or tubercular nature.
In this case, because of inflammatory and degenerative processes, articular cartilage suffers - it thins, loses moisture, becomes less elastic. Then the subchondral( located under the cartilage) bone of the head of the shoulder is affected. Therefore, this arthrosis is also called osteoarthrosis of the shoulder joint. To at least to some extent stabilize the affected joint, the cartilaginous ring of the articular blade thickens and thickens, and on the subchondral surface appear bony expansions - osteophytes, which many mistakenly interpreted as saline deposits.
In addition to articular surfaces, the surrounding structures are involved in the process - the capsule and ligament of the shoulder, as well as the muscles of the shoulder girdle and upper limb. This phenomenon was called periarthrosis. It is noteworthy that the course of deforming brachial arthrosis rarely occurs with an isolated lesion of only one shoulder joint. As a rule, in the course of time, other joints of the shoulder zone are involved in pathology: sternoclavicular and clavicular-acromial.
Symptoms ofThe main symptoms of osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint are:
- Stiffness of movements;
- Pathological muscle tension;
- Changing the configuration of the shoulder joint.
Together, pain and movement disorders are figuratively referred to as a frozen shoulder. The intensity of all manifestations is not the same, increases with time. In this connection, 3 degrees of brachial arthrosis are distinguished.
- Arthrosis of the 1st degree is manifested by blunt aching pains in the shoulder joint and in the scapula arising with physical activity, and disappearing at rest. The volume of movements, as a rule, is not limited.
- Osteoarthritis of 2nd degree. The pain intensifies, becomes constant. The movements are accompanied by a characteristic crunch. The muscles are tense. Reduction of motor volume, mainly when the arm is pulled back.
- Osteoarthritis of the 3rd degree. Strong, sometimes intolerable pain. Stiffness of movements in the arm and in the shoulder girdle. Impossibility to carry out even elementary domestic motor skills. Deformation of the joint. In some cases, osteophytes can be probed through the skin.
All these degrees of arthrosis develop gradually, over many years.
Principles of treatment of
The main directions of treatment for this disease include:We also recommend reading:
Symptoms of sprain of the shoulder joint
- Elimination of pain;
- Extension of the volume of movements;
- Normalization of articular cartilage nutrition;
- Restore the original joint configuration.
For this, the following are used:
- Massage and physiotherapy;
- Recipes of traditional medicine;
- Therapeutic gymnastics.
Shoulder osteoarthritis is treated with such medications as:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs);
- Chondroprotectors - drugs that repair articular cartilage;
- Means that improve microcirculation;
- Vitamins and minerals.
Chondroprotectors( Rumalon, Structum, Chondroxide, Chondroitin Complex) taken internally, externally or injectively, play a key role in the treatment of brachial arthrosis. After all, these drugs, containing the main vital components( Glucosamine, Chondroitin) contribute to the restoration of cartilaginous tissue. But all these funds with small interruptions need to be taken for long months, and possibly years. The effect of chondroprotectors is enhanced by the intake of vitamins and trace elements, the most important of which is calcium. NSAIDs( Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Orthofen) in the form of tablets and ointments also alleviate the condition - eliminate inflammation, pain, relieve swelling. Intravenous drip introduction of Trental, Pentoxifylline improves the blood supply to the joint tissues.
Gymnastics for arthrosis of the shoulder joint is carried out standing or sitting on a chair. The following exercises are performed:
- Flexion of the arms in the elbows and rotational movements in the shoulder joints with the subsequent straightening and dilution of the hands to the sides;
- Touching the brushes on the paddles on the opposite side;
- Maximum raising of straight arms up;
- Sitting on a chair, put your hands on your knees, and carry out rotational movements back and forth with only the shoulder joints.
All exercises are performed at a slow pace, and immediately stop when pain occurs.
Treatment of folk remedies of shoulder arthrosis is carried out with the help of natural products of plant and animal origin. Here are the recipes for using these remedies.
- 10 grams of chinese root mixed with the same number of blossoms and rosemary and pour 50 grams of ghee. To insist half of day, then to rub in a joint.
- Equal quantities( 10 g.) Of sweet clover, hops and St. John's wort mix with 50 g of petroleum jelly. Rub into the shoulder joint.
- 1 tbsp.a spoon of honey is heated in a water bath, then rubbed into the shoulder joint in circular motions for 10-15 minutes. Then the shoulder is wrapped in a thick woolen cloth.
- 3 grams of propolis mixed with 50 grams of melted pork fat. The resulting ointment applied to the shoulder joint.
All these drugs are not self-sufficient in the treatment of brachial arthrosis. We need more other methods - massage, physical therapy( electrophoresis, magnet, phonophoresis) followed by the use of paraffin, ozocerite and therapeutic mud.
Therapeutic exercises and massage with shoulder periarthritis
The shoulder blade is one of the most mobile and flexible joints. It is because of the wide range of movements that the scapula-humeral joint is often subjected to periarthritis.
The reason for the periarthritis of the shoulder joint can be caused by trauma, unsuccessful jerking or heavy physical work. When the shoulder joint is affected, not only medical treatment is required, an important condition here is regular massages, as well as therapeutic gymnastics.
LFK with periarthritis of the shoulder joint
In the event that the pains of the shoulder and shoulder joint are characterized as very strong, an anesthetic preparation can be taken before performing therapeutic exercises. It is very important to take into account that all exercises should be performed under the supervision of the attending physician or be coordinated with him. The fact is that a reassessment of one's physical abilities( under the influence of an anesthetic drug) can lead to an aggravation of the disease. If the periarthritis of the shoulder joint has pronounced symptoms, the complexity and number of exercises should be increasing. To begin in this case it is necessary with the most simple actions. Detailed exercise is shown in video 1.
As a rule, gymnastics with periarthritis of the shoulder joint is aimed at the development of joints such as the elbow, wrist and hand joints. Basically, the blade joint and the shoulder joint area are kneaded.
In the reflex limitation of the mobility of the affected shoulder or shoulder joint, caused by severe pain, treatment is carried out using thermal procedures. In addition, the patient needs therapeutic gymnastics. Thermal procedures can be carried out with a heating pad, which can be replaced with a bag filled with sand( warmed).In acute periarthritis of the shoulder and shoulder joint, gymnastics requires taking certain measures. First of all, the diseased limb should be fixed with a soft roller installed in the armpit.
If the shoulder periarthritis is in the acute stage, exercise should be performed in the supine position. With a reduction in painful sensations in the humeroscapular joint, it is possible to diversify the exercises, adding to them those performed standing and sitting. Periarthritis of the shoulder joint requires specially selected therapeutic exercises. The result of each action should be the relaxation of the corresponding muscle group. As for the number of exercises, this question should be decided by the attending physician, since he is strictly individual.
Periarthritis of the shoulder joint: some medical exercises
- To perform the first exercise, lie on your back. Bending both hands in the elbows, begin to squeeze and unclench your fingers in a fist. After doing about 10 times, shake with brushes. It is recommended to take at least 0.5 minutes to complete.
- The following action, aimed at reducing pain in periarthritis of the shoulder joint, is performed in the same initial position. Bending your arms in the elbows, begin to bend and unbend the wrists in the wrist joints. After doing this action 5 times, go to the circular rotations of the brushes, which in this case should be relaxed. It is not necessary to hurry. Feeling tired, let the joints rest.
- If the humeroparous periarthritis is in the acute stage, it is recommended to start exercise therapy from exercise, including the following: lying on your back and straightening your arms, start turning the wrists down and up.5-10 times will be quite enough, then you can proceed to the next exercise.
- While in the previous starting position, touch with the palms of the shoulders, while taking a deep breath, returning to the starting position, exhale. The action should be done 5 to 10 times.
- With periarthritis of the shoulder joint, it is very good to perform the following exercise: lying on a hard surface, bend your arms( in the elbows) so that a right angle is obtained. Do not hurry, start to spread the forearms in the sides. It is advisable that, when performing this exercise, the brushes of your hands touch the surface on which you are lying. The optimal number of exercises - 5 times.
- Brushes should be on the shoulders, elbows spread on the sides, taking a deep breath at the same time. Returning to the starting position, exhale. Repeat the exercise 5 times.
- Put your hands on your shoulders, raise your elbows forward, taking a deep breath, lowering your elbows - exhale. This movement helps to relieve pain in the shoulder, the shoulder joint. The total number of movements is 5-7 times.
- Putting hands in the starting position along the trunk, start to plant them on the sides. In this case, turn the palms up and down. Perform the exercise until the affected shoulder does not have a feeling of fatigue.
- If you have a shoulder periarthritis, the following exercise should be included in the complex of exercise therapy: the initial position is the same, alternately start lifting your hands up, while taking a deep breath and exhaling.
- Spread your arms across the width of the plane on which you are lying( palms down).With palms, try pressing on the surface. If at the same time you feel pain in the shoulder, the exercise should be discarded.
- Lying, as before, on a hard surface, stretch out your hands so that your hands are pointing upwards, for a few minutes, try to relax.
If something is not clear, help video 2. If the scapular periarthritis is at an acute stage, do not try to do the exercises to the maximum. Repeat them preferably three times a day, but the amount should be determined by the attending physician.
At the moment when the pain becomes less pronounced, the following exercises should be added to the exercise complex:
- Sitting on a chair, put your feet to the width of your shoulders. Next, proceed to bending the arms in the elbows, while taking a deep breath, unbending, exhale. Feeling behind the affected shoulder discomfort, you should stop.
- Raise and lower your hands in front of you, breathing in and out. Five exercises will be enough.
- Next, try to get your hand to the shoulder blade, then try the same thing with your hand with the affected shoulder. If the exercise causes you severe pain, it is better to abandon it.
- If periarthritis does not make itself felt by acute symptoms, the following exercise will do: put your hands on your knees. Take your hand to the side, hold it for a few seconds, then take a breath, the same should be repeated with the other hand.
- Put your hands on your shoulders, alternately start pulling your elbows to the knee of the opposite leg. In this case, the knee can be raised.
- Sitting on a chair, make a slope, one hand should be pulled to the shoulder, the second one down. Changing your hands, take a deep breath and exhale.
- With periarthritis, the following exercise is very effective: with shoulder joints, try to perform circular movements back and forth.
- Next, proceed to make head inclinations back and forth, then to the side. Do not rush if this does not happen, if there are dizziness, take a short break.
If the periarthritis does not make itself felt by pronounced symptoms, you can include the following exercise in the exercise complex: the initial position is the same( sitting on a chair), stand up, spread your arms around, and take a breath. Returning to the original position, exhale. Follow the exercise 5-7 times.
Exercise for brachial periarthritis in the starting position standing
Standing on your feet, start to perform circular movements with your hands, lifting them in front of you. Then, while doing the same actions, drop your hands. Exercise is performed at a slow pace until the first signs of fatigue.
The starting position is the same, put your feet on the width of the shoulders, start the swings to the right and left with both hands. Exercise should be performed 5-10 times( depending on how acutely the polyarthritis makes itself felt).
Standing on your feet, hands at the seams, begin to swing back and forth. The muscles must be relaxed. Next, try to alternate the direction of the hands( one forward, the other back).
Another effective exercise for shoulder periarthritis is walking, during which wide hand movements are performed. It is not necessary to hurry up in this case, it's enough for 1 min.
Massage with periarthritis of the shoulder joint
With the help of a complex that includes exercise therapy and massage procedures, you can achieve a quick and effective result. Therapeutic massage can remove pain and prevent the formation of rough scar tissue. In addition, this method is able to eliminate the development of tendovaginitis, bursitis, myositis, to prevent muscle atrophy.
It is very important that the massage procedures are regular, enough to give them 15 minutes a day. Typically, the course includes 15-20 massage procedures that require periodic breaks of 3 to 4 weeks. To treat the periarthritis of the scapula and shoulder joint exclusively by the medicinal method is not enough, since this can lead to the development of reflex contracture( restriction of mobility).
In order to prevent humeropathy due to complications, it is very important to follow all the recommendations of the attending physician. After performing exercise therapy, the shoulder joint is recommended to be fixed so that the movements are minimal. For this, the patient should lie on a hard surface so that the arm is at a right angle.
artrozmed.ruSunday, January 26, 2014 11:00 + in the quote book
Before starting the exercise, be sure to consult a doctor!
Ex.№1: pull your hands to the blades
упр.at an arthrosis of a shoulder №1
the Initial position( IP) looks so: legs on width of shoulders, the right arm is lifted and bent at an elbow so that fingers of the right hand touch the right scapula. Right elbow at this time is looking up. Performed on account 1-8.
From account 1 to seven, place your left hand on your right elbow and, with a little pressure( with great care!), Pull your right arm down so that the right palm resting on the shoulder can fall as low as possible.
On account of "eight" you return to the IP and change your hands in places. Then do the same operation with the left hand.
Repeat this movement four times.
№2: we embrace ourselves for the shoulders
To perform this exercise, it is necessary to take the following starting position: standing with hands down;The legs are set shoulder width apart.
First, place your left hand on your right shoulder, and the right one on your left shoulder. In other words, you hold your shoulders. At the same time, at the expense of one to seven, try to keep your elbows as high as possible, and with your fingers you seem to try to reach the spine;at the expense of eight it is necessary to take ref.position.
Carry out this movement 8 times and proceed to the next one.
# 3: inclines with support for
Stand facing the back of an ordinary chair at a distance of 35-40 cm from it;legs, as in the previous exercise, put on the width of the shoulders. This is a ref.position.
From it, also from one to seven, lean forward so that your straight arms lie on the back of the chair in front of you, and then start to stretch to the floor with the shoulder joints. At the expense of "eight" neatly, unsharply return to the starting position.
This movement should also be repeated eight times( during one session of medical gymnastics).
# 4: Hand Hand Helps
IP: stand up so that your legs are shoulder width apart. Hands stretched forward. From this position, at the expense of "one-seven", bend the left hand in the elbow joint and make it point to the right shoulder, as if reaching out to it.
After that, put your right hand on the elbow of your left hand and, very gently, smoothly, without jerks, pull your left hand to the right shoulder, as in a similar way you did in the exercise "pulling your hands to the shoulder blades".
On account of "eight", also very smoothly, return to the starting position, and then perform a similar operation with the other hand.
This movement, as well as "pulling your hands to the shoulder blades", must be performed 4 times.
№5: hands behind the back
Take PI: standing with legs on the width of shoulders;The arms are behind the back, crossed and bent at the elbows.
From this position on account 1-7, take the left hand with the elbow of the right hand, and then, on account 8, gently return to the starting position of this exercise.
After this, perform a similar action by changing hands.
This movement needs to be done eight times.
To take the starting position, put your feet on the width of the shoulders, and twist your hands between each other behind your back.
1) At the expense of one - seven, start turning your shoulders back so that the elbows behind you begin to approach each other. On account 8, smoothly return to the original position.
2) A small addition to the previous part of the exercise: do the same movement as in( 1), but in addition lift the braided hands behind them, as far as it turns out.
This exercise, like most of the previous ones, needs to be repeated eight times in a row.
Ex. No. 7 read after the video.
№7: your friend is a towel
As you can see from the title, to carry out this movement you will need a towel or some piece of cloth, for example a headscarf. The starting position is standing;legs, as usual, shoulder width apart.
Grasp the edges of the towel with your hands, then, to the "one-four" account, raise your hands up and move them back so that you do not bend your elbows. At the expense of "five - eight" it is necessary to perform a reverse movement with the lifting of hands behind the back and transfer them forward.
The movement must be performed six times.
As this exercise with experience will get better and better for you, it is necessary to try to make it so that the distance between hands gradually decreases.
Treatment of arthrosis of the shoulder joint - what to do
radiation exposure( infrared, ultraviolet, laser radiation).
Who can do gymnastics, and who can not?
Any curative exercise is useful only when performed during the remission period. During the same exacerbation of the disease, exercise therapy is contraindicated.
On whatever authoritative medical website or book you find exercises for arthrosis, be sure to show them to your doctor before you start using them. Not all such exercises are developed by doctors, and sometimes they can do more harm than good.
No procedures for curative gymnastics for joints can be performed if there is a high temperature, decompensated heart and lung diseases, as well as other diseases in which even small physical exertion can cause serious harm to the body.
Therapeutic exercises for joint arthrosis should not cause severe painful sensations. If the performance of some exercises causes you pain, refuse to do it and consult with the doctor about it;
For good effect, therapeutic gymnastics with arthrosis of the shoulder joint should be carried out regularly, every day;in the end of the daily complex of exercises it is useful to make a light self-massage in the area of the aching joint and nearby muscles;With this massage, you can additionally use a variety of healing creams, balms and gels.
Remember: therapeutic gymnastics is the only method to fight a disease that does not require you to have money, medicine, or nerves. Do them regularly, and very soon you will see the long-awaited effect!
Sit on a chair. Brush a sick hand on your knee or on the table. The arm is completely relaxed, the shoulder is as far down as possible. Slightly swing your elbow out - inward( from yourself - to yourself).The movement is carried out with a very small amplitude - no more than 1-2 cm.
Exercise No. 2
Raise and lower your shoulders. The amplitude of the movements is no more than 1-2 cm.
Exercise No. 3
Move your shoulders lightly back and forth.
Exercise # 4
Rotate your shoulders in both directions. Amplitude of movements is minimal.
This exercise for arthrosis of the shoulder joint is recommended to be performed for 5-10 minutes several times a day. Take care that your shoulders do not "bulge" upwards. To do this, you need to relax them as much as possible and control this position until a stable habit is formed.
Take care of the painful joint carefully, do not overload it. Do not resort to pain medication for the sake of doing exercises - this is the right way to complications.
Protect the diseased joint, try not to overload it. Remember, the use of pain medication in order to comfortably perform difficult work - this is the surest way to complications of the disease.
For a practically healthy joint is useful and allow a wide variety of exercises - rotation and waving hands, push-up, work with weighting, pull-up and stuff. However, if you have a long-term sedentary lifestyle and suddenly you suddenly started physical exercises, then you have the chance of damage to the joint.
In the beginning, do the exercises, not even half, but in the fourth part of the force. A range of movements, their intensity should grow in stages. And, the longer the sedentary lifestyle lasted, and the older you are, the slower the intensity of employment. It is necessary to avoid exorbitant loads on the joint, in order not to injure it additionally. If necessary, lift a heavy object or perform an unusual job for yourself, be sure to do a warm-up of the joints within a few minutes. This you can avoid a number of troubles and can save a lot of time for further treatment.
Therapeutic gymnastics for arthrosis have their principles, which are as follows:
a) Do not rush things - enjoy the smallest successes achieved, the volume of movements should be increased very carefully, gradually. Energetic, forced movements are contraindicated.
b) If pain occurs, exercise should be stopped, in no case can pain prevail.
c) Exercises should be performed in a relaxed state - lying or sitting, movements in the joints should be done slowly, but with sufficient amplitude.
d) Movement should not be too intense, injuring the affected joint. E) Exercises should be repeated throughout the day for several minutes.
e) The intensity of exercise should depend on the exacerbation or remission of arthrosis.
For people with arthritis, a healthy, balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and white meat is useful. Inclusion of fatty fish in the diet once or twice a week will help ease the painful inflammation in the joints: one study showed that 200 grams of salmon a day significantly alleviate the condition of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. It should be borne in mind that the consumption of fatty fish can aggravate the condition of those suffering from gout( see Other forms of arthritis, Gout).Walnuts, green tea, fresh ginger also have anti-inflammatory properties.
For arthrosis with edema, a low-salt diet with a sufficient amount of liquid should be observed. That is, you should reduce the consumption of salty foods, spicy seasonings, tomatoes and spinach. This diet helps to get rid of excess fluid, which helps to remove swelling.
Diet for arthrosis of the shoulder joint plays an important role. It is necessary to limit consumption of salt and spices, and to consume more products containing natural collagen( red fish, fresh greens, poultry, seafood) is a building material for cartilage.
Intra-articular injections are often used to help with arthrosis of large joints( knee, hip, shoulder, elbow).In many cases, intra-articular injection can really alleviate the condition of the patient.
Most often, the joints are injected with corticosteroid hormones( diprospan, flosteron, celeston).
Corticosteroids are good in that they quickly and effectively suppress pain and inflammation in synovitis( swelling and swelling of the joint).It is the speed with which the therapeutic effect is achieved - the reason that corticosteroid injections have gained particular popularity.
However, the problem is that just the arthrosis itself, corticosteroids are not treated and can not be treated. So, they can not prevent the development of arthrosis! Corticosteroids do not improve the condition of the articular cartilage, do not strengthen the bone tissue and does not restore normal blood circulation. All they can do is to reduce the reciprocal inflammatory response of the body to this or that damage in the joint cavity. Therefore, intra-articular injection of hormonal drugs as an independent treatment method is useless: they should be used only in complex therapy of arthrosis.
Self-massage is the final stage of gymnastic exercises aimed at improving the blood supply of the patient joint and restoring the cartilaginous tissue.
Technique and sequence of movements:
massage of the thigh muscles, combined stroking, squeezing the palm with the edge and combs of the fists, stroking - shaking the legs, single and double ring kneading( all repeat 3-4 times);at the joint itself, a circular and concentric stroking of the lateral areas is used. Rubbing - the base of the palms of both hands rectilinearly, "forceps", in a circular fashion and again rectilinearly;repeat the massage on the thigh, but less intensively and reduce the number of repetitions and return to the massage of the knees. Finish again with a deep thigh massage( item 1);conduct active charging: flexion and extension of the legs( 5-7 times), rotation of the shin. In conclusion, we return to the massage.
The strength with which self-massage is to be performed depends on the local sensitivity of the tissues. It's good to combine massage with warm baths( 37-39 degrees) or right after the steam bath.
There are many situations when an experienced specialist will be able to help you with a shoulder joint massage. Of course, if this is not a surgical case or if the doctor recommended trying a massage first. Here is a short list of the positive effects:
Pain reduction Promotes resorption of knots in muscles Helps healing after dislocations and injuries And other advantages of simple massage
If there was an operation
In the postoperative situation, shoulder massage can also help, but should proceed with caution and with the permission of the attending physician. Also make sure of the experience of the masseuse, as it will depend on him a lot. And do not forget that this is an addition to the prescribed treatment, and not a complete replacement.
If you have chronic or simple pain in the shoulders, which the traditional medicine has not identified, or if you are trying an alternative before surgery, consult a doctor and a massage therapist to see if massage can help.
Proper nutrition leads to normal metabolism, which is important for arthrosis of the shoulder joint. Meals are not limited to strict rules, but some tips can be taken: reduce the salt content in the diet, increase the amount of water consumed, drink diuretics, eat potassium-rich foods and exclude sorrel, tomatoes and spices from the menu.
For the treatment of joint arthrosis there are many folk remedies. As a rule, folk treatment of arthrosis consists in using self-made ointments. For example:
- white lilac flowers are mixed with three tablespoons of butter. The resulting ointment is lubricated by a diseased shoulder joint;
- very useful in the treatment of arthrosis of the shoulder( and not only) joint ointment from St. John's wort and sweet clover. Two tablespoons of sweet clover and two tablespoons of St. John's wort are mixed with 50 grams of Vaseline. This ointment is fashionable to rub in a sore spot, or apply a compress of it.
Source of promedvital.ru
Treatment of brachial arthrosis with folk remedies also involves the use of ointments. Ointments are also useful, as are rubbers. The composition of ointments, as a rule, includes strong biologically active components. Their use is especially effective when shoulder arthrosis is in an acute inflammatory period.
Ointment with horseradish
Grind 40 g of horseradish roots and mix them with petroleum jelly. Rub around the affected joint. Very well reduces pain and helps to relieve inflammation.
Mix 1 part hop cones and 4 parts Vaseline. Rub the affected joints twice a day.
Arthrosis of the shoulder joint: treatment, symptoms and gymnastics
Arthrosis of the shoulder joint should be more correctly called a degenerative shoulder complex, since three completely different in function and structure of the joint of this region are considered. This complex also has a common name - the shoulder girdle. A significant role in the symptomatology is played by changes that occur with ligaments, joints and joint capsules.
The shoulder joint performs an amazingly large volume of movements. Due to the presence of its own ball device, the shoulder joint can perform movements in any direction. The head of the humerus has a spherical shape, and the small articular cavity is located perpendicular to the scapula.
Movement is limited to a complex and powerful muscular system, as well as various ligaments and tendons, which are often subjected to various kinds of injuries. The tendons of the muscles that surround the joint perform several functions:
- Strengthen and strengthen the joint
- Tighten the capsule, thereby preventing its infringement of the
. Although the remaining joints of the shoulder girdle are close enough, arthrosis can develop exactly in this joint, though, this happens rarely enough.
Arthrosis can be primary and secondary. Primary arthrosis, as a rule, is manifested in women who have reached the age of 60 years. Secondary arthrosis develops regardless of age, usually it is preceded by trauma to the composite elements of the joints.
The stability of the shoulder girdle provides a nearby clavicular-acromial junction. This joint is heavily loaded as a result of a significant leaning of the shoulder, which is why it is most often prone to secondary arthrosis.
The big load is necessary and on the third joint located between a breast bone and a clavicle is a unique osteal connection of a humeral belt with a body. The main load falls on the joint, which is located on the side of the working arm, so it is here that most often arthrosis develops. Nevertheless, these three joints though are susceptible to arthrosis, yet the disease is much more likely to occur in the joints of the lower extremities, which account for the main burden of body weight.
The special feature of the shoulder joint is that with age and load changes occur in the joint capsule, bag and ligaments. Often there is a deformation of a wide ligament of muscles( rotational cuff), responsible for performing circular movements of the shoulder.
Even small tears can cause a decrease in the functionality of the shoulder joint. In the case of pronounced damage to this ligament, there may be a "false paralysis" in which it is impossible to lift a hand. With small tears it is possible to cope by performing a set of exercises of special therapeutic gymnastics.
Often injuries are affected by the muscle and ligament located between the scapula and the head of the humerus. Due to the fact that they have a high degree of mobility, which is necessary in the case of the removal of the hand, often there are pinchings between the above-mentioned joint sections. Although the bag protects them from bone damage, nevertheless, with repeated injuries, hemorrhages may occur, resulting in the formation of calcareous crystals.
When the number of accumulated crystals becomes critical, the movement of the shoulder joint will be limited, which will lead to pain, which increases dramatically when moving. This ailment has several names, and is also characterized by specific treatment and associated symptoms.
The chronic course of the disease does not exclude the possibility of the development of an acute form, the cause of which can serve as a rise in the severity, a sharp shock, increased muscle and ligament tissue tension, resulting from draft or hypothermia.
There may be difficulties with the rotation, the removal of the hand. This "stiffness" of the joint confirms the need for timely assistance of the orthopedist, delay can lead to a long restriction of the movement of the joint.
Along with this arthrosis of the previously mentioned joints, as a rule, does not exacerbate, does not lead to "stiffness" of the joint. Usually, patients experience a slight restriction of the movements of the shoulder joint after physical exertion on it, occasionally accompanied by non-intensive pain. An example can serve professional tennis players, the shoulder joint of the hands of which is subjected to intense stress.
However, the cause of pronounced pain of the shoulder joint can be not only arthrosis, but also damage to ligaments and muscles. In order to deal with the symptoms of arthrosis, it is better to consult a specialist.
To identify the arthrosis of the joints of the shoulder girdle, two elementary tests are usually performed: 1. "Combing" is a manifestation of pain when the comb moves from the forehead to the occiput.2. "Tying an apron" is a manifestation of pain when tying an apron behind one's back.
With the painless conduct of these exercises can be argued about the absence of arthrosis of the joints of the shoulder girdle.
To determine a more accurate picture of the disease, ultrasound and radiological examination is prescribed, after which, usually, conservative treatment with antirheumatic drugs in the form of suppositories or tablets is prescribed.
With intense pain, you can take a couple of aspirin tablets or another pain medication. The timely administration of drugs makes it possible in the future to avoid long-term drug therapy.
In case of pronounced pain syndrome, anesthetics and corticoid drugs are injected directly into the joint - this allows not only to quickly remove the pain, but also to increase the mobility of the joint, regardless of the cause of the pain( soft tissue injury, arthrosis, bruise).
However, it is not always possible to do just medication for arthrosis of the shoulder joint, most often it is necessary to resort to the help of therapeutic gymnastics and special exercises, combined with the application of cold. In case of acute pain, use of heat is contraindicated.
After the pain subsides, you can connect ultrasound therapy, which acts as a micro massage of the joint capsule, as well as surrounding soft tissues. You can relieve the pain and with the help of other modern physiotherapy procedures, including when acting on the joint diadynamic currents.
In some cases, a positive effect can be achieved with the help of massage and manual therapy, which allows to restore the motor functions of the joint, and also to some extent perform the preparation of the muscles of the shoulder girdle for physical exertion.
Treatment of arthrosis of the shoulder joint does not give quick results, and pains go away very slowly. To fully restore the motor function of the joint requires a fairly long period of time.
If arthrosis has developed as a result of a severe fracture with many fragments, which eventually led to the destruction of the head and articular cavity, it will be necessary to replace the affected joint with an artificial one. Usually, surgical reconstruction of the soft tissues of the joint itself is performed.
You can also expand the articular cleft by an open method or with the help of arthroscopy. The meaning of any of the surgical methods is to eliminate the causes that led to the limitation of mobility. According to the statistical data, the results of the performed shoulder joint prosthesis are slightly more modest than in similar operations on the hip and knee joints.
The main principle of treatment of the shoulder joint is movement. The vertical posture with the hands lowered down causes the joint capsule to gather in the folds in the armpit. If you raise your hand, it will largely stretch, increasing in size. At the same time, all the insidiousness and danger of the disease lies not in wear and deformation of the joint, but in relation to the patient for pain.
In some cases, rest reduces pain, but in the case of shoulder arthrosis, the situation is different. So, for example, if with pronounced pains that are associated with damage to soft tissues as a result of trauma or arthrosis, fixing the arm with a kerchief in a bent position, then it may take a long time to restore the former mobility of the joint.
What should be the hand position for acute pain? In some cases it is necessary to ensure the rest of the joint in order to reduce the intensity of pain. The optimal solution is to take the arm in a bent position away from the trunk. This position ensures rest of the joint, and also prevents it from significantly reducing the volume of movements.
What should be the position of the hand during sleep? If possible, you should limit sleep on the affected side, if this position causes discomfort, you can sleep on the sore side by placing a small pillow or a similar device under the sick arm. This will make it possible to reduce the burden on the joint capsule and relieve the pain.
What can I do? If you are diagnosed with arthrosis of the shoulder joint, you should avoid performing work that involves raising your hands, their establishment by the head.
Cold or warm? The most commonly used for cold pain, for this you can use wrapped in linen cloth ice. During the day, several procedures are done for 10 minutes each. If pain is present, it is better to immediately abandon the thermal procedures that can cause pain and even make them unbearable. Heat can be used in the calm course of the disease.
Arthroscopy in case of arthrosis of the shoulder joint makes it possible to eliminate small defects, which finally eliminates pain and increases the volume of movements.
When will sports be effective? If arthrosis of the shoulder joint occurs with minor pain, then the entire remaining volume of movements should be used. You can play volleyball and tennis, go swimming, while trying to avoid sudden movements. If after the sports classes there are prolonged pain, then you should consult specialists and revise the methods of treatment. It should always be remembered that intensive physical exertion can cause an exacerbation of the disease.
Therapeutic gymnastics for arthrosis
Regular exercises in therapeutic gymnastics with arthrosis make it possible to minimize the limitation of movements of the shoulder joint. Immediately after the end of treatment, a number of simple exercises should be performed, which can not be abandoned with small pains. Exercises that improve metabolic processes and help to straighten the capsule of the joint are given below:
- It is necessary to stand up straight, freely lowering the hand with a small load and begin to gradually swing it. With a reduction in pain, you can achieve a rotation of the hand in a circle. The essence of the exercise is that when it is performed, the gap between the shoulder blade and the head of the humerus is increased. In the absence of pain, you can try to bend and unbend the arm at the elbow with the shoulder at a right angle, which will stretch the joint capsule and improve the rotation of the head of the bone in the joint cavity.
- The same thing needs to be done lying down, the exercise time is 5-10 minutes.
- If it is difficult to carry out movements by a patient with your hand, then you can resort to the help of a healthy one. To do this, it is necessary to take up the hand of a sick hand and gently lift it up. After that, you need to get your hands behind your head and repeat the exercise several times.
- Fold your arms cross in the neck area, then slowly and gently start and take your elbows out to the sides.
- Take a place in the doorway and gradually "creep", fingering the sick hand on the door frame.
Charge and exercise therapy for osteoarthritis
You are hereHome / Exercise / Charge and exercise therapy / Charge and exercise therapy for osteoarthritis Arthrosis is a disease requiring serious and complex treatment. Only medication can not be cured. Additionally, charging and exercise therapy for osteoarthritis is required.
What you need to know about exercise therapyBefore you begin, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Gymnastic exercises can be practiced when the disease is in remission. In this case, tenderness and inflammation should be absent. Disregarding this rule, many people subject their joints to irreversible changes, leading to a deterioration of well-being in general;
- Charge and exercise therapy for osteoarthritis of the knee joint should be performed only at the doctor's permission. This applies to all possible activities, including those described in this article. Some movements can harm at a certain stage. Any exercises are coordinated with specialists;
- Exercise is designed to load only the muscles. It is not recommended to engage in exercise, which involves a considerable strain of affected areas. Such actions can not be carried out unless the doctor's permission has been obtained;
- Loads in most cases should be static. This means that there should be no dynamics, and during the movements it is required to stop for a while in a certain position. This load helps to strengthen the muscles and prevent the wear of the joints.
- Physiotherapy is an effective method of combating arthrosis, which does not require monetary costs. In this regard, it is recommended to take seriously the implementation of each exercise.
Charge and exercise therapy for osteoarthritis - useful recommendations
- It is necessary to correctly perform all prescribed exercises every day;
- It is better to abandon movements that have a significant load on the diseased parts of the limbs, and do only those that contribute to muscle tension without affecting the joints;
- Between the approaches it is desirable to completely relax the limbs, which is best obtained in a lying position;
- When gymnastics and exercise therapy for osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint and other diseased parts is completed, you can do a light self-massage of hands and feet. It is necessary to caress and limp limbs with careful movements. It is not recommended to overdo this procedure, it is better to reduce the pressure force to a minimum. With arthrosis during massage, you can use special creams.
The first exerciseThe patient needs to lie on his stomach to the floor. Legs should be kept straight, and hands placed along the body. Smoothly raise one foot to a height of 15 cm from the floor, to hold it in this position for at least half a minute. Then slowly lower it, completely relax. Then repeat the same action with the second lower limb. For each leg, do the exercise 1 time. It positively acts on the knees and is applicable, as gymnastics and exercise therapy for osteoarthrosis of the hip joint. The exercise has additions. You can perform 20 such movements, holding your foot for no more than 2 seconds in the air. In this case, each leg should rest for a couple of seconds when returning to its original position( on the floor).Important note - it is necessary to perform the same movements for both limbs.
The second exerciseNext you can take a lying position on the floor, but already bending one of the legs in the knee. The bend angle must be straight. Then bend the limb to a height of 10 cm and stay so for half a minute. Lower the leg and relax the muscles. Take a break for a short break and repeat the same with the other leg. It is enough to do the exercise 1 time on each side. This same charge can be given dynamics, holding the raised knee no more than 1-2 seconds for 10-20 times for each joint.
Third exerciseIf the patient is physically developed and has endurance, then this charge will work. If difficulties arise with the implementation, it is better to abandon it. Lie back on the floor and raise your straightened legs no more than 15 cm from the floor. Smoothly dilute and also reduce the limbs, keeping them in the air. So do up to 10 times at a slow pace, without lowering your legs.
Movement 4Lie on the floor with the right side, bending the right knee. Raise the left leg at an angle of 45 degrees, hold it in this position for half a minute. Lower it slowly, relax. Make a similar motion for the opposite side. The load on the limbs during the execution of these actions should be the same.
Fifth exerciseArrive on a chair, pull and lift one of the legs to the maximum possible height. Hold in this position for 1 minute. Then slowly return the leg to its initial position. It is necessary to completely relax the muscles. This charge is made up to 3 times per foot.
Exercise 6Holding on to the back of a chair, climb to your toes. Stand for 1 minute, return to the starting position. Enough 1 time.