The main symptoms and treatment methods for cervical vertebrae osteochondrosis
According to the World Health Organization, cervical osteochondrosis is second only to osteochondrosis of the spine of the lumbar region. The reason for such statistics is the specificity of the anatomy of the cervical vertebrae and the significant stresses that they carry as components of the most mobile part of the spine. The complications of this pathology are dangerous, and it sometimes takes a long time to cure them. To avoid the disease and its consequences, you should know why it occurs and what are the most effective methods of treatment today.
What happens when a disease occurs. Click on the image to enlarge
What happens with osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae?
Osteochondrosis of cervical vertebrae - what is it? In everyday life, his symptoms are often mistaken for signs of salt deposition in the joints of the spine. However, this is not so: even if growths( osteophytes) are found on the affected vertebra, they consist of bone tissue and have nothing to do with salts.
Actually in this disease is the destruction( degeneration) of the first intervertebral discs( they are thinned, lose shape), and then the vertebrae themselves.
Sometimes, in an effort to compensate for the damage to the discs, the body "grows" on the affected vertebra additional bone fragments. But such a spike-shaped growth builds up nearby vessels, muscle and nerve tissue - in the cervical region there are a large number, including a large artery feeding the brain. Seven small vertebrae of the neck are "strung" on this artery, like beads.
If you do not treat cervical osteochondrosis, compression of the vertebral artery can cause blood circulation, paralysis or even stroke.
Causes of the disease
The triggering mechanism of degenerative changes in the vertebrae of the neck can be:
Low physical activity. Weak muscles of the back are unable to keep the spine in a straight position, because of which the intervertebral discs are squeezed, deformed and lose functional abilities.
Incorrect posture. A person who is in an uncomfortable position for a long time at a table, machine or in a car, is prone to curving the spine and causing cervical osteochondrosis.
Metabolic disorders. Often occurs against the backdrop of a deficiency in the body of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, vitamin D.
Neck injuries caused by sudden lifting of heavy objects or impact, or caused by prolonged excessive stress.
Chronic infections( syphilis, tuberculosis and even influenza, transferred without treatment).
Incorrect posture can be the cause of many diseases, including osteochondrosis of the neck
. The main symptoms of
. At the initial stage of the disease, symptoms may be mild or absent. The first signs of cervical osteochondrosis is a pain in the neck, giving up in the arm, shoulder or shoulder blade, and a crunch in the neck that occurs when the head is tilted or turned. Apart from their seriousness, a person often does not hurry to diagnose a doctor - and this is a mistake.
With further development of the disease, there are symptoms caused by compression of nerves and blood vessels:
- Headaches. Their treatment with analgesics gives only a temporary effect.
- Nausea, dizziness.
- Noise in the ears. When osteochondrosis, this symptom is manifested after a long stay in a stationary position, with diseases of the vestibular apparatus such a relationship is not observed.
- A feeling of lack of air, arising from the irritation of the diaphragmatic nerve passing next to the vertebrae of the cervical region.
- Problems with eyesight: decrease in its sharpness, periodic darkening in eyes, flickering of dots. During the treatment of osteochondrosis, these symptoms disappear.
- Disorder of coordination, abnormalities of gait.
- Memory loss, reduced performance.
- Short-term drop or increase in blood pressure, not amenable to the standard treatment of hypotension or hypertension.
How to diagnose pathology?
If the suspicion of cervical osteochondrosis( based on the symptoms and complaints of the patient), the doctor prescribes laboratory and instrumental examinations of the spine. It can be:
- Radiography of the neck in two projections: direct and lateral. It allows you to detect the narrowing of the distance between the vertebrae and the presence of bone growths.
- Magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography, more accurately( in comparison with x-ray) determining the localization of pathology and the presence of protrusions( protrusion) of intervertebral discs. This is very important for effective treatment.
- To exclude other diseases that can occur with similar symptoms, it is possible to appoint electroencephalography, endoscopy, ECG, ultrasound and a number of urine and blood tests.
Methods of treatment at different stages of the disease
The complex of therapeutic measures is made taking into account the severity of the disease and the individual characteristics of the patient's body.
The mild form of the disease( stage 1)
When the disease is only just beginning to manifest itself, drug treatment may or may not be necessary. In such cases, to get rid of the disease it is enough to change the working conditions and lifestyle: adhere to a moderate-calorie diet, engage in exercise, avoid sharp loads on the neck, monitor posture.
The first minor symptoms( periodic weak pain and a feeling of stiffness in the neck) can really be removed with the help of physiotherapy, manual therapy, physiotherapy, massage, electrophoresis, acupuncture, hirudotherapy( leech treatment). With moderate to severe disease, these treatments are no longer sufficient.
Medium and severe forms of the disease( stages 2, 3 and 4)
Longer treatment is required if the development of the disease has already gone far when there are cracks or tears on the surface of the intervertebral disc, and the vertebra has undergone pathological changes. In such cases, as a rule, you first need to quickly eliminate inflammation and pain syndrome, and then stop the process of destruction of intervertebral discs and restore the damaged spinal osteochondrosis structure of the spine as far as possible.
Methods of treatment of a mild form of pathology are also used here, but they are used more intensively. is added to drug therapy: is an anesthetic( ketorol, analgin, baralgin), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( ibuprofen, diclofenac, etc.).To improve the regeneration of cartilaginous tissue, chondroprotectors( glucosamine, chondroitin, alflutope) and vitamins( B6, B12) are used. Mandatory correction of vertebrae is mandatory.
It is not always easy to treat osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae, whereas the prevention of this disease is quite simple. Moving lifestyle, playing sports or at least regular exercise, the habit of "keeping your back" when walking and sitting, sleep on the pillow that provides a comfortable position for the neck - that's all the basic measures necessary to prevent the development of pathology. Take care of yourself and be well!
It is important to know: treatment of cervical osteochondrosis, symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis.
Self-massage technique can be performed using the following techniques:
- stroking( movements must be soft, without much effort, forming creases)
- kneading( deep impact on muscles, by folding, pressing and pushing);
- vibration( oscillatory effect of effleurage, shaking, patting).
Self-massage should always be finished with stroking. During vibration, you can use a massager.
Video: self-massage neck
Acupressure well removes the headache with exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis, helps with pressure surges, normalizing it.
Scheme of conducting a point massage:
- Influence on the point of feng-fu, which is under the occipital mound, for 1 minute.
- Influence on the point of feng-chi, located at the width of two fingers from the mastoid processes of the skull.
- Exposure for 1-1.5 minutes per point y-men( located at a distance of three fingers from the point of feng-fu).
- Sedative effect 1-1,5minutes to the point of da-chju( 7th cervical vertebra).
After the acupressure, you need to lie down for a few minutes, as there may be a slight dizziness.
Manual therapy helps to cope with both acute and chronic pain, also increases the volume of movements and well corrects the posture.
The basic methods of manual therapy for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Relaxing and segmental massage. It is used for warming up muscles and relieving tension.
- Mobilization. Effects aimed at restoring the function of the joints.method of extension.
- Manipulation. A sharp push aimed at the pathological areas of the patient. Procedure, accompanied by a characteristic crunch( return of the joint to its normal position).
Specialist practicing manual therapy should master these techniques in perfection. Otherwise, any error can lead to injury.
Acupuncture promotes the release of cortisol into the blood. This hormone has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect.
Acupuncture is performed by exposing the dots near the inner edge of the scapula. The needles are inserted at a depth of 1 to 2 cm and left to act for 10 to 30 minutes.
Video: about the benefits of acupunctureThere is no way to pass the acupuncture course? Remove the pain and improve blood circulation will help the application of an applicator Kuznetsov.
Which ointment quickly relieves pain in the spine and joints? Find out here.
Drug treatment has many adverse side effects, so homeopathy can be a worthy substitute for treatment without undesirable consequences.
In this disease, the following homeopathic medicines are most often used:
- Rus in 6, 12 and 30 dilutions, as well as in the form of ointments and oils;
- Staphisargria in 3 and 3 dilutions.
In cervical osteochondrosis with severe hypertension( expressed in the back of the head) Strontium carbonate or Stonziana Carbonica is used.
Assign in 3, 6, 12 and 30 dilutions.
With the combination of cervical osteochondrosis with varicose veins, Escus is prescribed in 3, 3 and 6 dilutions. The food should be saturated with calcium and magnesium.
These microelements are found in fish and seafood, in nuts, legumes and dairy products.
Osteochondrosis of the neck can often be accompanied by atherosclerosis. In this case, a rigid diet is recommended.
The diet is prescribed for 3-4 months. It is necessary to limit the intake of all products containing cholesterol. These include animal fats, fatty meats, fatty dairy products, etc. Also, you should limit or exclude the consumption of salt, sugar, flour products.
It is recommended to abandon bad habits( smoking, alcohol, etc.).
Cervical osteochondrosis and alcohol are interrelated. The fact that getting into the blood, alcohol destroys the cells, thereby exacerbating the already broken blood circulation in osteochondrosis.
Therefore it is necessary to limit to a minimum, and during an exacerbation at all to refuse the use of alcohol.
Prevention of the disease
For the prevention of cervical osteochondrosis, the following rules are recommended:
- sleep should be on a firm mattress and on a low pillow: the angle of neck bending should not be more than 15 degrees;
- take a hot shower every day for at least 10 minutes;
- visit sauna and bath as often as possible: heat helps to relieve neck spasms;
- give yourself aerobic exercise and regular walks at a low pace;
- do swimming;
- after 25 years, avoid shock loading on the spine( jumping, running);
- with sedentary work, do five minute breaks every hour;
- regular yoga classes can prevent any manifestations of cervical osteochondrosis;
- refuse to visit the gym, as doing bodybuilding can provoke the emergence of protrusion of the cervical disc;
- physical exercises like prevention in osteochondrosis of the neck help to strengthen the neck muscles, relieve tension.
What to do in pregnancy, and how to treat it?
Often, it is during pregnancy that the first symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis occur.
This is associated with a change in the hormonal background and softening of the vertebrae, as well as due to a shift in the center of gravity and excessive strain on the spine.
Treatment of osteochondrosis in pregnant women is quite complicated, as it is limited mainly by a medicamental method aimed at stopping pain.
You can use natural ointments or resort to folk medicine.
Any effects on the neck( heating, charging, etc.) during pregnancy are strictly prohibited.
Do children and adolescents?
In children and adolescents, cervical osteochondrosis develops as a result of congenital or acquired functional insufficiency of cartilaginous tissue.
He expresses complaints of headache, fatigue, dizziness and fainting.
Is it possible to warm the neck area?
Warming of the neck in cervical osteochondrosis is strictly prohibited, especially in the acute stage of the disease, since warming can lead to an increase in edema and expansion of cerebral vessels.
How to sleep properly?
We need to sleep on a flat, hard bed with an orthopedic mattress.
The recommended and most convenient position is lying on its side when the shoulder rests on the mattress, and the head rests on a small pillow.
The use of an orthopedic pillow helps relax the muscles in the cervical region, reduces the irritation of nerve endings, which prevents headaches and insomnia.
Are physical activities and baths allowed?
In preventive measures and in the 1st stage of cervical osteochondrosis, it is recommended to engage in physiotherapy exercises, swimming.
Strong lifting of heavy objects is forbidden, heavy work, training in gyms.
Bath and sauna visits are also recommended only for the prevention of cervical osteochondrosis and at the initial stage of the disease.
Ivan, 53 years old:I would like to share with colleagues in misfortune how to treat cervical osteochondrosis. A couple of years ago, I got a backache. Visiting a doctor, diagnosing cervical osteochondrosis. Many things have been tried out from the treatment: physiotherapy, manual therapy and massage. But always there was only temporary relief, besides all these are very expensive procedures. I had to tackle the problem thoroughly. And so I decided to try swimming. It turns out that swimming is widely used for the prevention and treatment of cervical osteochondrosis, as it removes the tension of the neck muscles remarkably. I go twice a week to the pool and grief I do not know.
Sergey, 41 year:Due to his employment of excessive employment, he could not find time to visit a doctor. Yes, and relatives advised to treat the pain in the neck warming up, compresses of herbs, ointments different and other domestic methods. So, he cured himself that the neck stopped moving at all! I was at home for more than two weeks, and then I recovered for a long time. Therefore, my advice to all - visit the doctor as soon as your neck crunches and gets sick! So you and time will save, and health will not lose. Read also
How to cure cervical osteochondrosis at home
Complex treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home is now possible. To achieve better health and alleviate pain symptoms is entirely realistic if one adheres to the right diet and leads a flexible lifestyle. Daily diet for cervical osteochondrosis should contain products that promote the regeneration of cartilaginous tissue, they include:
- beans, cereals, vegetables, fruits;
- containing proteins: nuts, eggs, low-fat varieties of poultry, fish;
- unsaturated fatty acids: flax seed, oily sea fish;
- products rich in calcium: milk, cottage cheese, leafy vegetables.
Excellent help vibroakustichesky device "Vitafon", which in the treatment of osteochondrosis at home is very well proven. The device acts on the focus of pain with ultrasonic waves, as a result of which the process of cartilage regeneration is accelerated, inflammation of tissues passes and damaged cells are restored."Vitafon" does not cause any harm, because treatment is carried out by acoustic waves, which are natural for the human body.
Massage and self-massage
Successful treatment at home is done with a massage or self-massage. This procedure relieves tension, relaxing the clamped muscles of the neck. After massage, the circulation in the intervertebral discs improves, which gives a quick relief to the patient. The procedure of self-massage is performed sitting and is performed by rubbing, stroking and kneading movements in the nape. But in order to get a better effect, it's better to invite a qualified masseur.
Medical gymnastics has no less effect than medical treatment of osteochondrosis, and is the basis of recovery. Exercises do not take much time, especially since it is easy to carry them out at home. Gymnastics is aimed at easing the pain syndrome with osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, stretching the ligaments and relaxing the muscles of the neck. But you need to do the exercises only after consulting a doctor and very carefully, so as not to harm the body.
Acupuncture is a very effective way of treating osteochondrosis, but not everyone will decide on acupuncture. For home use there is a similar device - needle applicator Kuznetsov, in which paired or single needles are located on a belt with fasteners or on a cushion. Even if only half an hour a day to lie on the applicator, it will provide the patient not only relief, but also recovery.
Recipes of traditional medicine
When asked about how to cure osteochondrosis of the cervical part at home, as a rule, people means are meant. Herbal treatment is economical, effective, and most importantly - safe. You do not need to buy expensive medications to relieve pain, which can also have negative consequences in the form of side effects. The natural remedies of folk medicine that help with cervical osteochondrosis include:
- Horseradish leaves. It is necessary to attach the sheet from behind to the neck and fix it for the night. By the morning the pain will pass away.
- Potatoes. It should be rubbed with honey in the same proportion, so that the mixture resembled a consistency ointment. Use the product as a compress at least once a week.
- Compresses made from vodka( 1 l) with freshly squeezed aloe vera juice( 1 tbsp.), Mustard powder( 1 tbsp.) And propolis( 50 g) are effective. The mixture is impregnated with tissue and applied to the neck, fixing with a woolen cloth, the procedure is carried out 1-2 times a week for the night.
Methods of preventing the disease
It is easier to prevent osteochondrosis than to treat it for a long time. Preventive maintenance includes observance of a posture, fitness exercises, employment on simulators, sports walking, yoga, swimming. It is necessary to sit properly at the table and computer, you can not throw your head back for a long time or tilt when lifting weights. When writing or reading, it is not recommended to bend low over the surface of the table, and during sleep it is advisable to use an orthopedic pillow.
Video: exercise complex for cervical osteochondrosis
Pain in the neck is caused by the displacement of the vertebrae or the jamming of the nerve endings. This is familiar to people who have long been sitting in an uncomfortable position. When the pains sharpen, they become squeezing and burning, localizing on the occiput, in the shoulders and lateral sections of the neck. It is often felt tingling or numbness in the hands, when there is a spasm of blood vessels. Regular exercises will improve blood circulation in the neck, make the vertebrae elastic.
Before starting a set of exercises, you should conduct a test for cervical osteochondrosis. To do this, tilt your head forward and pull your chest out with your chin. Then rotate your head left and right. If there is pain when cornering, then you need classes first. See in the video the complex of exercises for cervical osteochondrosis from the doctor of sports medicine Alexandra Bonina:
Svetlana, 28 years old: "I suffer from osteochondrosis of the cervical department for many years. I tried a lot of money, but they only helped temporarily. I decided to purchase Kuznetsov's applicator. After the first application, the state of health improved for the whole day. Now I use constantly and about pains in a neck have forgotten ".
Maria, 36 years old: "I work near a computer, so the neck area hurts constantly. I'm saving with acupuncture - this is not a terrible and painless procedure. The neck after each session moves more freely, the head ceases to make noise, and pains leave. The doctor said that a couple more sessions, and I will be completely healthy! ".
Alexei, 38 years old: "He went through many procedures, but cervical osteochondrosis kept coming back. Now I understand one thing: you need to do gymnastics, move a lot and lead an active lifestyle not from time to time, but constantly, then there will be no osteochondrosis, and you will not have to spend money on his treatment. "
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine> Diseases> DoctorPiter.ru
- work associated with lifting weights
- work associated with frequent changes in body position( turning, bending and unbending, jerking)
- long stay in an uncomfortable position in standing position,sitting, lying, lifting and carrying heavy loads, performing any work that exerts a strain on the cervical spine and the spine as a whole
- excessive physical exertion with undeveloped musculoskeletal system
- nerve perforationstress, stresses
- use of incorrect pillows during sleep.
When there is no strength to endure the pain, take an anesthetic from the home medicine chest( "Analgin", "Baralgin", "Tempalgin").If these drugs do not help, you will have to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( "Nayz", "Ibuprofen", "Diclofenac").However, these drugs have a negative effect on the gastrointestinal tract, so without consulting a doctor, you can use them only as an emergency measure, and then you should consult a specialist for advice. Reduce the intensity of pain can be, using anti-inflammatory analgesic ointments - Diclofenac, Butadion. Or warming and "distracting" - "Finalgon", "Capsicum", "Viprosal"( with snake venom), "Virapin" and "Apizarthron"( with bee venom).If there is edema in the inflammation zone, you can take diuretics or infusions of herbs for 3-4 days, if there are no contraindications. During the day, you can wear a pepper plaster, it also has a distracting effect, but at night it is useless. If problems with the neck are the cause of numbness or pain in the hand, smear it with any ointments is meaningless, the medicine should be applied to the affected area - the neck.
If you use a special collar of Shanz to immobilize your neck, do not wear it for long. Being still, the neck muscles weaken and atrophy, it becomes even difficult for them to keep their heads on their shoulders.
Physiotherapy exercises can not be done during a period of exacerbation - it can be started only after the exacerbation is removed.
Diagnosis is established using radiography, computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. To check the condition of the vessels of the neck, ultrasound dopplerography or duplex scanning is prescribed.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis should be as complex as possible, using both drug and non-drug therapy, as well as in preventing possible complications.
Drug treatment is the administration of these drugs, relieves pain and inflammation( "Nise", "Ibuprofen", "Diclofenac" "Voltaren"), as well as tools to improve cerebral circulation. Also, when the pathological muscle tension is recommended for administration of drugs from relax( "Mydocalm"), as well as vitamins in therapeutic dose( niacin, vitamin B - B1, B6, B12), calcium preparations, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese.
Common drugs( mainly dietary supplements), which are called chondroprotectors and promise to repair intervertebral disc tissues, according to doctors, are useless. Clinical evidence of their effectiveness is not.
big role in the treatment of cervical degenerative disc disease is removed physiotherapy - electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, water procedures( various therapeutic baths, showers), paraffin baths. ..
widely used and methods of alternative therapies - acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, hirudotherapy, apitherapy, osteopathy. However, the most important for the treatment and prevention of osteochondrosis is therapeutic gymnastics.
To prevent problems with cervical osteochondrosis, remember the reasons for its development and the appearance of complications and, if possible, warn them. Since the main cause of cervical degenerative disc disease - a sedentary lifestyle and non-physiological position of the body in tension, it is necessary to do daily exercises for the neck, including them in the morning exercises or performing them in the workplace. In this case, remember that the circular rotation of the head doctors do not recommend, their implementation is fraught with injury to the neck.
Exercises in sitting and standing position
1. Put the palm of your hand to your forehead, press your forehead against your palm, straining your neck muscles. The palm should resist forehead pressure for 7-10 seconds. Perform the exercise 3-4 times. This same exercise, repeat, putting the palm to the back of your head 3-4 times.
2. Attach the left palm to the left temple and press it on the palm, straining the neck muscles for 7-10 seconds. Perform the exercise 3-4 times. The same exercise repeat, pressing the right temples on the right palm.
3. The two above exercises can be done differently: bend your forehead against the wall and press it, straining the muscles of your neck. Then bend into the wall with the back of the head, then the left, then the right half of the head.
4. Tilt the head slightly back. Overcoming the resistance of the strained muscles of the neck, gradually lower it. Finish the exercise by pressing your chin against the jugular fossa. Repeat the exercise 5-6 times.
5. Stand up straight, shoulders are deployed. Slowly turn the head as far as possible to the right 5-6 times, then turn left.
6. Lower your chin to the neck and in this position, turn your head slowly: 5-6 times to the right, then to the left.
7. Tilt the head slightly back. Try to reach the right ear to the right shoulder, then left - to the left shoulder. Repeat each exercise 5 times.
8. Tie your fingers to the back of the head, draw your elbows, place your chin on the folded forearms. Tie your fingers together so that the edge of the palm rest against the back of the head, lift the forearms together as high as possible. Remain in this position, without straining, 10-15 seconds.
Exercises in the supine position:
1. Lie on your back, straighten your legs, hands stretch along the body. Bend your knees and hold them in your arms, pull them to your stomach, raise your head in this position and touch your forehead with your knees. Slowly straighten your legs, lift your head. Do the exercise 4-5 times.
2. Bend your knees and grasp the edge of the sofa or the back of the bed. Slowly lift the trunk, reaching out to the brushes of the hands. Do the exercise 4-5 times.
3. Lie on your stomach with your legs straight. Hands lie along the body. Leaning on legs, a stomach and the bottom part of a body, lift a head and shoulders. Do the exercise 4-5 times.
4. Lie down straight, spread your arms to the sides. Slightly tearing off the floor, turn the body to the left, reach out with your right hand your left palm. Do the same, reaching out with your left hand to the right hand. Do the exercise 4-5 times.
5. Lay down on the abdomen, hands extend along the trunk palms up chin - flush with the body. Relax and slowly turn your head to the right - to the starting position - to the left. Try to turn your head so that it touches the ear of the floor. Do the exercise 8-10 times.
6. Lie on your stomach, with your chin leaning against your palm, relax your neck muscles. Turn your head to the right and left, trying to touch the ear of the floor. Do the exercise 8-10 times.
Regular execution of a complex of exercises will help to relieve muscle tension and adjust blood circulation in the collar zone, as well as improve the mobility of the vertebrae themselves. However, when performing exercises, you should monitor your sensations - do not increase the intensity of movements and tension, if there are painful sensations. In such cases, exercise should be done with great care and not for long.
For the prevention of osteochondrosis, doctors recommend that you regularly visit an orthopedic surgeon from an early school age and, if necessary, correct spinal curvature and posture disorders. To form a muscular corset - to go in for sports, first of all by swimming. Eat foods that provide the body with calcium and magnesium( fish and seafood, spinach, beans, nuts, seeds, peas, bread, dairy products, cheeses) and vitamins. Do not allow the accumulation of excess weight. Follow the recommendations of doctors when working at the computer. Do not carry bags, hanging them on your shoulder.