Than to treat lumbar radiculitis?
The defeat of the roots of the spinal nerves is called radiculitis. The disease is very common: they suffer every 8 inhabitants of the globe. Today, with complaints of back pain, not only old people turn to doctors, but also young people, many of whom are athletes and those who spend most of their time working on the computer.
The most common lumbar and lumbosacral radiculitis, caused by degenerative-dystrophic changes in the spine, its joints, ligaments, discs, nerves and muscles.
Acute lower back pain occurs suddenly after some kind of physical exertion or abrupt movement. If you take a painkiller pill, then soreness will subside for a while. Since radiculitis is characterized by a wave-like course with periods of exacerbations and remissions, rest assured that the next time it will be more difficult to cope with the pain. And remember, with each attack, both inflammation and swelling in the lumbar tissues increase, which means that pressure on the root of the spinal nerve increases.
Treatment of lumbar sciatica should be comprehensive. To tighten with the reference to the doctor for the help it is impossible - the disease in itself will not pass or take place, and only will worsen in due course.
The medicamentous treatment of lumbar radiculitis includes the use of painkillers, anti-inflammatory, anti-edema, resorption drugs, muscle relaxants, vitamins, etc. The palette of the used products, as you can see, is wide, so it's quite difficult to find the necessary drugs in your case. Leave the decision of this question to the specialist, and from you only strict fulfillment of his appointments and recommendations will be required.
In case of exacerbation of sciatica in the lumbar region, the pain is so strong that not every tablet will take it off once. This requires strong analgesics, sometimes in the form of injections. Of the pharmaceuticals are usually recommended to take Analgin, Baralgin, Ketorol, Butadion, Pyraminal, Tramal, Pyramein. Limit one painkillers can not, because these drugs for symptomatic therapy, i.e., in order to only eliminate pain.
Injections with lumbar radiculitis into the lumbar region or directly into the vertebral joint are called blockades. This procedure( performed by a doctor!) Is the manipulation of "rapid response" in case of an acute attack of the disease. As an active ingredient, Novocain, Lidocaine, Trimecaine are used. The pain is removed almost instantly, but not for a long time. Therefore, blockades are carried out repeatedly. The frequency and frequency of the procedure is determined by the attending physician and the patient's condition.
Performing blockade with lumbar sciatica
Universal medications for getting rid of inflammation, swelling and pain are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs).They are used in the form of tablets, injections and ointments. Diclofenac, Orthofen, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren, Nimesulide, etc. - used these drugs and knows what they are capable of, probably each of us.
The high efficacy of NSAIDs allows them to be used in attacks of radiculitis and during the period of remission of the disease. Dosage and duration of the course are selected by the doctor. He also determines the method of administration of the drug depending on the patient's condition and severity of the disease: in injections( intramuscularly), orally( through the mouth) or externally.
But it must be remembered that NSAIDs have undesirable side effects on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract: these drugs are recommended to be applied in short courses and on a "full stomach".
Decongestants and absorbents
The most common forms of drugs in this category are ointments, creams and gels. In one tube can contain substances with analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-edematous and resorptive action simultaneously.
Ointments with a heating effect
Capsicum, Apizarthron, Virapin, Viprosal, Vipratox, Finalgon, Mellivenon, etc. In most cases, the active ingredient of these ointments is snake venom.
The area treated with ointment increases blood and lymph circulation, which improves nutrition of inflamed tissues, accelerates metabolism, relaxes muscles and activates protective forces of the body. The result is a reduction in soreness and inflammation at the site of the pathology. Outer skin in the treatment site reacts with redness and burning sensation.
In case of first use, any ointment, cream or gel should be applied to a limited area of the skin in small amounts. If the body does not react with allergy, then you can use the remedy to treat the sciatica of the lumbar spine.
Anesthetic creams and gels
Fastum-gel, Bystrum-gel, Febrofid, Ketonal, Finalgel, Naiz-gel, Dolgit, Nurofen, etc.
The effect of their use is similar to the warming agents. The essential difference is that there are no burning sensations and redness of the skin, or they are insignificant. All external means of this category operate at the expense of the analgesics contained in them. But in the composition of some ointments there is menthol, which gives a cooling effect, which brings the patient considerable relief.
Anesthetic external drugs eliminate the lack of circulation of tissues and muscle spasms, accelerate the recovery processes in the lower back.
One of the popular remedies for lumbar radiculitis
Voltaren, Diclofenac, Mikloks, Naiz, Ibuprofen, Diklak, etc.
Manufactured on the basis of NSAIDs, used to anesthetize, eliminate edema and inflammation in diseased muscles, restore functional mobilityin the joints of the spine.
In the complex treatment of lumbar sciatica( together with internal and injections), anti-inflammatory gels have the most pronounced positive effect.
Medications for reducing muscle tone. These include Midokalm, Sirdalud and Baksolan. Tablets are prescribed by the attending physician in accordance with the severity of the disease. After the course of treatment with muscle relaxants, the patient feels relief of his condition, reduction of pain intensity, improvement of mobility of the waist.
DiureticsWe also recommend reading: Medical treatment of radiculitis
To remove excess fluid from the patient's body and to reduce swelling in inflamed muscles, Furosemide or Lasix is used, both inward in tablets and in intramuscular injections.
For the treatment of radiculitis, the doctor may advise to take chondroxit or chondroitin. These drugs increase the metabolism in the intervertebral discs and prevent further progression of sciatica.
Our loins take on too much strain, so it needs support, especially in times of illness. For this purpose, drugs with a high content of B vitamins are successfully used in the therapy of lumbar sciatica.
Polyvitaminic complexes can be used by the doctor( Neuromultivitis, Neurovitan, Multitabs-B, B-complex, Bimix-C, etc.) and in injections(Milgamma, vitamins B1 and B6, B12).
Special means for improving the trophism( nutrition) of tissues - antihypoxants and biogenic stimulants - the doctor will appoint an additional, if necessary.
Principles of treatment at home
It will not be superfluous if you use folk remedies parallel to the main course of treatment prescribed by a doctor.
Recipes of traditional medicine must use proven
From the whole "assortment" of folk recipes you can choose yourself the most effective and tested( refer to reviews used) or follow the recommendations of your doctor.
Advice: consult a doctor beforehand about using a prescription for traditional medicine in order to avoid possible side effects and the development of allergic reactions.
The action of almost all folk methods of warming up and local irritating - compresses, rubbings, lotions, ointments, applications, etc., improve blood circulation, increase the excretion of metabolic products from tissues and stimulate the work of local immunity. These funds perfectly relieve pain and swelling in the muscle tissues of the lumbar, provided that the patient has a low back in warmth and peace.
It is necessary to change your daily diet - to increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables consumed, to restrict reception or to refuse altogether fatty, acute, salty, sweet, floury.
Those wishing to have a healthy loin are advised to perform daily strengthening sets of physical exercises for the back.
The success of the treatment of lumbar radiculitis depends, first of all, on the patient himself, and only then on the qualification of the attending physician. Therefore, we wish you patience and perseverance in the fight against the disease. And a speedy recovery!
Treatment of lumbar radiculitis: the basic principles ofLumbar radiculitis is the inflammation and jamming of the neural formations that move away from the spinal cord in the lumbar region. This disease is accompanied by intense pain in the lower back, weakness in the legs, numbness of the skin of the extremities and a number of other unpleasant symptoms that can be eliminated only by restoring the normal state of the spinal root and transferring the pulse along it.
Lumbosacral sciatica develops with osteochondrosis, hernias and protrusions of the intervertebral discs, displacement of vertebrae, spinal injuries, narrowing of the spinal canal and holes in the spine through which nerve fibers pass. Provoke attacks of severe lumbar pain, sharp turns or torso of the trunk, lifting of gravity, uncomfortable poses.
How to treat sciatica?
Before considering this issue, it is worthwhile to understand what is happening in the body in this disease. Pinching of the spinal roots is a microtrauma, which leads to inflammation and edema of nerve fibers, as well as to the subsequent disruption of the transmission of nerve impulses along these formations, which is manifested by severe pain and other unpleasant symptoms. In addition, a defensive muscular tension arises in the affected area, which provokes an even greater deterioration of microcirculation in the tissues and an increase in pain. Therefore, only having affected not all these links of the pathological process, it is possible to effectively reduce the symptoms of radiculitis.
How to treat sciatica?
If the patient has acute lumbar radiculitis, the entire treatment is limited to anesthesia, anti-inflammatory therapy, and a lumbar lap bandage or special corset belt. When the pain is reduced( in the remission stage), patients are prescribed a course of physiotherapy, massage, manual therapy and necessarily lessons with the instructor for exercise therapy.
Also in the treatment of such patients acupuncture, apitherapy( treatment with bees) and other folk methods are used. It should be remembered that treatment with folk remedies should be combined with different approaches of traditional medicine, since only such a tactic is really effective in radiculitis. If conservative therapy does not bring relief to the patient, the compression of the nerve roots persists, and the symptoms of the disease progress, and surgical treatment of the pathology is performed.
If acute back pain occurs, it is recommended that you lie on a hard surface( preferably on the floor), first on your side, and after some reduction in pain - on your back, lifting and placing your bent legs on some support( for example, on a sofa).In this position, the muscles relax, and the compression of the nerve roots decreases.
After reducing the intensity of pain, you can try to get up: first turn on your side, then get on all fours and then, holding on to the support, gently climb to your feet. Any sharp movements in this situation can result in a new pain attack. It is also recommended to apply an anesthetic gel or ointment on a sore spot and wrap it around tightly, as if fixing the lower back. After this, it is worth to visit a doctor( neurologist), so that he can prescribe the necessary treatment.
Treatment of radiculitis with medications involves the appointment of the following drug groups:
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( eg, diclofenac, ibuprofen, meloxicam, etc.), which also have a good analgesic effect. With severe pain, injections of these drugs are used, but later the doctors recommend that the patients take the pills and rub the ointment containing the anti-inflammatory components into the loin area;
- muscle relaxants, which help reduce muscular spasm in the affected nerve root, which contributes to improving trophism of the tissues and reducing pain and inflammation;
- diuretics. They are necessary for eliminating the edema of the neural formations, which is always present with radiculitis;
- vitamins, especially group B, which contribute to the restoration of nervous tissue;
- means improving microcirculation;
- narcotic analgesics. They are prescribed a short course with severe pain, which does not decrease after taking non-narcotic analgesics. In such situations, novocain blockades are also used;
- hypnotics, antidepressants. These medications are indicated to patients who develop various nervous and mental disorders against the background of pain.
The complex of exercises for the treatment of radiculitis should be selected exclusively by the physician of the exercise therapy department, because the performance of incorrect movements by the patient can lead to an aggravation of the disease and an even worse deterioration of his health. But the right exercises, on the contrary, help to eliminate the compression of the spine, strengthen the muscles, increase the mobility of the spine and improve the trophism of the intervertebral discs.
In the medical complex for patients with radiculitis, doctors include various gymnastic exercises and techniques, as well as classes on special simulators. The first training, as a rule, is under the supervision of the instructor, in the future, after mastering all the rules and recommendations of the specialist, the patient can go to home classes.
Manual therapy and massage are effective tools for reducing muscle spasm and removing the so-called muscle blocks, which are almost always present in radiculitis. In addition, massage movements help improve blood circulation in tissues.
Another method, often used to treat sciatica, is acupuncture. The impact of special needles on active points on the patient's body helps to reduce pain and restore the conduction of nerve impulses along the nerves.
Traditional medicine with radiculitis
The most popular folk remedies for radiculitis are the following:
- compress made of grated horseradish or radish( vegetables must be mixed with sour cream);
- honey compresses;
- rubbing with a tincture of red pepper;
- applying burdock or raw potatoes to a sore spot;
- warm compresses from flax seeds placed in canvas pouches;
- rubbing the waist with ointment from Ledum.
What are the ways to treat lumbar sciatica?"How to treat lumbar radiculitis?" - Everyone faced with this question was diagnosed with this diagnosis. Which drugs are better to use in treatment: medications, physical therapy, manual therapy, physiotherapy, massage or everything in the complex? As research has shown, the best results are provided by the complex therapy of lumbosacral sciatica using all the above methods. Let's address each type of treatment in more detail.
Effective treatment of sciatica with medicinesDrug treatment of lumbar radiculitis is necessary when the patient has an exacerbation of the disease. In this case, a competent combination of local and systemic treatment is required. Together with therapy it is important to conduct a survey to find out the cause of sciatica. Systemic drug treatment includes injections and taking medications inside. Local - direct application of the drug on the skin on the affected vertebra.
Consider how to treat lumbar sciatica by systemic means.
The following drugs are included in the complex:
1) Muscle relaxants, which relieve spasms of skeletal muscles, eliminating the compression of nerve fibers. This group of drugs has many possible side effects.
2) Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-edema effects. With their help, the pain quickly passes. Many of the drugs in this group can be bought without a prescription, but it is worth remembering that for competent treatment and avoidance of side effects, consultation of a qualified doctor is necessary.
3) Narcotic analgesics. Quickly stop the pain, but because of the rapid emergence of addiction is almost not used nowadays.
4) Antidepressants and other sedatives and hypnotics are prescribed only in conjunction with other medications to improve the well-being and general condition of the patient.
Treatment of lumbar radiculitis with injections is carried out with the help of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, vitamin complexes, biologically active substances that restore metabolism in tissues and blood circulation, adgeolysis( complex solution: corticosteroids + anesthesia + vitamins from group B).
What other types of lumbar sciatica are effective?In the diagnosis of lumbar radiculitis, treatment can be performed with the help of physiotherapy procedures. Such therapy is permissible only during the interictal period and is absolutely contraindicated during an exacerbation. The patient is assigned phonophoresis with hydrocortisone, amplipulse, darsonvalization and paraffin treatment. With physiotherapy, there is an increase in the effect of drugs, reducing pain, relaxing muscles, improving blood flow in tissues.
With lumbar radiculitis, massage is often performed together with physiotherapy. At simultaneous appointment it is important, that the maximum of procedures should not exceed 3. Otherwise on an organism of the patient the too big loading will be rendered. Typically, massage is done when the patient takes a horizontal position, lying on his stomach. Movement( rubbing, stroking) with a therapeutic massage is smooth and directed from the vertebral axis to the periphery. For some types of massage( vacuum, vibro- and hydro-massage), special devices are used.
With manual therapy of lumbosacral sciatica, the exact location of the lesion is first of all determined with the help of special examination methods. Before the procedure begins, the manual therapist holds a reflex massage for two to three minutes, and then proceeds directly to work with the intervertebral joints. During the session, pressure, rotation and traction are used. A manual therapist should be qualified and know how to treat lumbar calculi in order not to harm the patient.
Lumbar radiculitis: treatment, symptoms, causes, prevention, diagnosis |spinomed.ru
Lumbar radiculitis is an inflammatory disease of the spinal roots emerging from the spinal cord in the lumbar region of the spine, characterized by intense pain in the corresponding area that can spread to the buttocks, lower abdomen, lower extremities.
The lumbar spine consists of 5 vertebrae, between which the top and bottom of the intervertebral disc go to 2 spinal nerves - there are only 8 pairs. The nerve roots of the department innervate the muscles of the waist and the front surface of the abdomen, buttock muscles and muscles of the lower extremities. Also, part of the nerve fibers innervates the pelvic organs, in women - the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, bladder, kidneys;in men it is the prostate gland, the bladder, the kidneys.
People living in developed countries( USA, European countries, Japan) are more likely to suffer from the disease, because mainly the disease is associated with a sedentary lifestyle.
Radiculitis of the lumbar spine affects women more often. The age group of individuals characteristic of this disease is 50 years and older.
Lumbar sciatica occurs with inflammation or infringement of the spinal root.
Diseases leading to inflammation of the spinal roots in the lumbar spine:
- spondylitis( inflammation of the spine) in the lumbar spine. Most common syphilitic, tuberculosis and gonorrhea spondylitis;
- is a viral infection of the body that, with blood flow, can enter the lumbar spine and cause inflammation of the spinal nerve;
- myositis - inflammation of the muscles of the lumbar spine.
Diseases resulting in infringement of spinal roots in the lumbar spine:
- spinal cord injuries in the lumbar spine:
- vertebra dislocations in the lumbar spine;
- displacement and vertebral fractures in the lumbar spine.
- chronic diseases of the spinal column:
- lumbar lordosis.
Lumbar radiculitis may also occur in people with a perfectly healthy spine, but in the presence of risk factors, which include:
- female age after 50 years;
- endocrinological diseases: hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus;
- obesity or the presence of excess body weight;
- is engaged in sports, which is associated with lifting of gravity( bodybuilding, weightlifting);
- work associated with constant slopes, turns and lifting of gravity( for example: loader, cleaner, work in factory shops).
For reasons of lumbar radiculitis:
- Primary, the result of which is the inflammation of the spinal root.
- Secondary, which results in infringement of the spinal root.
Symptoms of lumbar sciatica
For lumbar radiculitis is characterized by:
- sharp, intense pain in the lumbar spine, increasing with little physical exertion;
- pain can decrease with a comfortable position of the body, where the waist muscles relax, it is achieved lying on the back or side, standing on "all fours" with a high pillow under the belly;
- cutting, stitching pains in the gluteal region;
- aching pain in lower limbs;
- violation of sensitivity and motor activity of the lower limbs;
- pain in the lower abdomen;
- pain during intercourse;
- urination disorder;
A preliminary diagnosis of lumbar radiculitis is established based on:
- patient complaints;
- duration of the disease( for lumbar radiculitis characteristically acute onset, with rapid development of all symptoms);
- external examination and feeling in the lumbar region, this allows to identify the exact place of the onset of pain, as well as to assume the segment of the lumbar spine where inflammation or infringement occurred;
- of a general blood test, in which there will be inflammatory changes( an increase in the number of leukocytes and lymphocytes, a shift of the leukocyte formula to the left, an increase in ESR( erythrocyte sedimentation rate));
- of a general urine test, to exclude kidney disease, in which such symptoms may also occur.
The final diagnosis is established based on:
- radiography, which will visualize the disease of the spinal column, which leads to infringement of the spinal root;
- CT( computed tomography), this method can reveal the nature of the disease, i.e. see inflammation or impaction;
- MRI( magnetic resonance imaging), with which you can identify the exact location of the lesion and the degree of compression of the rootlet;
- EMG( electromyography), with the help of this method it is possible to trace which spinal nerve suffered.
Treatment of lumbar radiculitis
Treatment provides for a combination of taking medicines with physiotherapy and treating traditional medicine.
All the methods of treatment are aimed at relaxing the muscles of the lumbar spine, eliminating the pain syndrome, restoring the integrity and normalization of metabolism in the damaged spinal nerve, strengthening the body and preventing subsequent relapse of the disease.
Conservative methods of treatment
The group of methods includes medicamentous and physiotherapeutic treatment, as well as diet.
The treatment regimen that is most effective for lumbar sciatica:
- Dicloberte or Dolobene intramuscularly 3.0 ml once a day for 5 to 7 days, then switch to the treatment with tableted forms: Dicloberl, Diclac 100 mg 1times a day. The course of treatment is 10 to 12 days.
- Mydocalm or Tollyl intramuscularly 1.0 ml 2 times a day, the duration of injections 10 days, after which the drug is taken in the form of tablets of 100 mg 1 tablet 2 times a day. The course of treatment is 30 days.
- Neurobion 2.0 intramuscularly once a day. The course of treatment is 10 days.
- Neurorubin-fort-lactab orally 1 tablet once a day after injections of neurobion. The course of treatment is 30 days.
- Mucosate 2.0ml intramuscularly every other day. The course of treatment - 20 injections. After injections, it is necessary to take chondroetin sulfate in tablets or powder 2 to 3 times a day for 3 to 6 months.
- Plaster with diclofenac or gel with ketoprofen on the lumbar region, at night. The course of treatment is 5 - 7 days.
Treatment is performed in physiotherapy units, the most suitable procedures for sciatica lumbar spine are:
- Lumbar massage, 10 - 20 sessions.
- Acupuncture 15 - 20 sessions.
- Therapeutic gymnastics for the waist, duration of employment 2 - 3 months.
- Electrophoresis on the lumbar spine according to the scheme: the first five days cause hydrocortisone, the next five days cause lidocaine.
- Magnets on the lumbar region. The course of treatment 10 - 12 sessions.
Diet that facilitates the disease
Recommendations on nutrition during the disease:
- taking into account the reception of many groups of medicines shows fractional meals, in small portions;
- be excluded from the diet completely: smoked, salted, fried, spicy, fatty, alcoholic, carbonated water, coffee, strong tea, plenty of sweet.
In case of ineffectiveness of conservative treatment, decompression of the damaged spinal root is performed, this type of treatment is used only in case of nerve entrapment.
In the operating room, under general anesthesia, an incision is made of soft tissues in the lumbar region of the spine, find the cause of compression of the nerve and eliminate it mechanically.
Here are 2 examples of folk recipes for the treatment of lumbar radiculitis:
- Treatment with black radish .Radish clean, grind in a blender. Apply in the form of applications on the lumbar spine for 2 to 3 hours. The course of treatment is 10 days.
- Treatment using potatoes .Cook 4 - 5 large potatoes until ready, crush. Apply to the lumbar region in the form of an applique overnight. The course of treatment is 10 days.
Lumbar sciatica can lead to the following complications:
- atrophy( lowering of muscle mass) of the lower limbs;
- partial or complete immobilization of the lower limbs.
For the prevention of lumbar radiculitis, several rules must be observed:
- active lifestyle;
- wearing corsets in the presence of chronic diseases of the spinal column;
- timely treatment of all viral diseases;
- hardening of the body;
- compliance with work and rest;
- sleep on hard mattresses.
Radiculitis lumbar symptoms and treatment |How to treat sciatica
Radiculitis is the most common disease of the peripheral nervous system. Symptoms of lumbar radiculitis are quite obvious, and once you feel them, you better consult a doctor, with a question about how to treat sciatica, and follow prescribed treatment for lumbar sciatica.
Treatment of lumbar sciatica
What will help in the treatment of lumbar sciatica?1.
Hot shower, hot drink( due to this increases body temperature) helps in the treatment of lumbar radiculitis. Increasing the volume of circulating blood improves its flow;the liquid dilutes toxins, so intoxication decreases;in addition, toxins are released to the outside with sweat.2.
Breathing exercises to treat the symptoms of lumbar sciatica: a short inhalation - a pause - an exhalation. With a short inhalation, carbon dioxide accumulates, which expands the narrowed places, oxygen comes to its "shoulders" there, all metabolic processes become stronger, energy metabolism products are quickly destroyed, for example, lactic acid decomposes into gas and water;something that has not oxidized( ketone bodies, various amino acids), is oxidized and digested by the body or excreted.3.
Preparations that relieve inflammation in lumbar radiculitis and its symptoms: painkillers and warming agents( for example, "RO S-GF", "Ledum" ointments, bee or snake venom, tincture of bitter pepper).4.
Visiting a bath in accordance with the "Rules for the correct bath" method is a good help in the treatment of lumbar radiculitis.5.
With the symptoms of sciatica, you can take a stretching position: the stomach on the table, feet on the floor( 15-20 minutes), then rubbing with "Carmolis" or "Viprosal" ointment.6.
Exercises for the spine are prescribed in the treatment of lumbar radiculitis:
- Lean forward, leaning on your hands, fix the position for 15-20 seconds, then smoothly straighten. Then repeat 4-5 times.
- Lean your hands on the table and slowly shake your pelvis.
Rubbing with ointments based on herbs.8.
For symptoms of sciatica, you need to sleep on a hard bed.9.
Complex of exercises for the hip joints.
How to treat sciatica?
Treatment of radiculitis by rubbing
Hands for rubbing for lumbar radiculitis should be warm. On one hand pour or put a tool for grinding. Apply ointment to the affected area and gently stroke the sore spot from the bottom upwards for 10-20 minutes( with severe pain - 5 minutes).Watch for the presence of ointment on the hand, so as not to touch the affected area with a dry hand. After the procedure for treating the symptoms of lumbar radiculitis, the sore spot needs to be warmly wrapped and try not to chill.
Treatment of radiculitis with compresses
Home treatment of radiculitis is also possible with the help of compresses: the ointment is lightly rubbed into the skin, covered with polyethylene on the top( ideally it is desirable to cover with fresh leaves of one of the plants - lilac, sage, mint or lemon balm,1-2 layers of burdock leaves or cabbage), cover with a woolen cloth and fix.
Symptoms of lumbar sciatica
The main symptoms of lumbar sciatica
So, the main symptom of lumbar sciatica is pain. With lumbosacral radiculitis, there are symptomatic severe pain in the lumbosacral region, buttocks with recoil in the thigh, shin, foot, groin. Symptomatic pains increase with movement, especially during walking and inclinations. With the symptoms of lumbar radiculitis, hip joints also suffer, as the innervation of the vessels feeding the structures of the hip joints is impaired.
Symptoms of infectious radiculitis( possible causes of symptoms - colds, flu, rheumatism) arise due to the presence of pathogens in the body. The cause of symptomatic radiculitis is the damage to the roots caused by the pathology of the surrounding tissues, in the first place - the tissues of the spine.
If the treatment of lumbar sciatica does not start on time, then it can take a chronic form. In this case, any metabolic disorder, infection, careless movement or even nervous stress will each time provoke the symptoms and signs of lumbar radiculitis, that is, cause acute pain in the back. Such seizures will be repeated very often.© medmoon.ru
How to treat radiculitis at home with folk remedies
The causes of radiculitis are degenerative changes in bone tissue and herniated intervertebral disc
Lumbar radiculitis is a pathological condition that is accompanied by the appearance of pain spreading along the sciatic nerve.
As a rule, the pain begins in the lumbar region, extends into the buttock, hamstrings, caviar and below. In most cases, pain with lumbosacral radiculitis affects only one side of the body. Understanding the causes and characteristics of this disease helps to learn more about how to treat sciatica in the home.
The most common causes of the development of radiculitis are degenerative changes in bone tissue and herniated intervertebral disc. The incidence increases in middle age. This disease is extremely rarely affected by people under the age of 20, the peak incidence falls on 50 years, then the probability of developing radiculitis decreases.
Despite the fact that sciatica is a serious enough disease that causes patients considerable discomfort, in most cases it can be managed with the help of conservative methods. Only a small percentage of patients suffering from lumbar pain are indicated for surgical treatment.
Traditional radiculitis treatment at home
In the vast majority of people, lumbar radiculitis responds well to self-help measures. Doctors believe that it is better to treat sciatica in conditions of maintaining daily activity. That is, a person can continue to work and engage in daily activities, avoiding only those activities that cause seizures. Despite the fact that physical peace brings some relief, prolonged inactivity can make symptoms of radiculitis much worse.
Other self-help measures for radiculitis include:
Pain can be weakened by compresses and warming upCold compresses. After the pains have just appeared, they can be alleviated with the help of cold compresses, which are superimposed on the painful area for twenty minutes two to three times a day. For cold packs, ice cubes can be used in a cellophane bag or frozen vegetables wrapped in a clean towel.
Heating. Two or three days after the onset of pain, they can be reduced by heating the painful areas. For heating, you can use an electric heating pad or a towel soaked in hot water. Some experts believe that moist heat penetrates deeper into soft tissues and actively contributes to the relief of pain.
Stretching exercises. Stretching the lower back helps reduce compression of the nerve roots and relieve pain. During gymnastics, sharp jerks and bouncing should be avoided.
Medical treatment of radiculitis
In most cases, radiculitis is well treated medically. To treat this disease can be a combination of various medications. The main methods of medicamentous treatment of radiculitis are:
The main cause of pain - nerve compressionAnesthetics. The main task of drug treatment of radiculitis is to stop the pain syndrome. For this, analgesics such as analgin, nise, paracetamol, ascophene, pentalgin, panadol, baralgin, etc. are used.
Injection blockade. In cases of attacks of acute intolerable pain, they can be medically treated with novocaine, tercian or lidocaine blockades. This method assumes that the analgesic drugs are cut with a painful area. Relief comes almost immediately, however, this only indicates that the drug has acted. That is, in fact, there is no treatment. Injection blockades are used for emergency relief of the pain syndrome, after which it is necessary to treat the root cause of the disease.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs).These drugs can cope well with edema and inflammation, the main cause of the onset of pain syndrome. You can treat radiculitis with such non-steroid drugs as diclofenac, indomethacin, orthophene, ketoprofen, butadione, naproxen, etc.
Steroid drugs. To treat lumbar radiculitis medically, you can also use steroids. Effectively relieve pain with radiculitis following steroid drugs: metipred, hydrocortisone, prednisolone, dexamethasone, kenalog, dipisane.
Muscle relaxants. In severe attacks of pain, doctors can recommend the use of muscle relaxants or narcotic analgesics. These drugs help to relax the muscles. In view of the large number of side effects, muscle relaxants in radiculitis are prescribed by doctors with great caution, only in cases when the patient does not respond to therapy with other drugs. Known narcotic analgesics are cyclobenzaprine and metocarbamol.
Gels and ointments. To treat lumbar pain medically, you can also use local anti-inflammatory and analgesic gels and ointments. They rub several times a day in the painful lumbar region. To local medicines for radiculitis include gels and ointments: Ketonal, Viprosal, Kapsitrin, Finalgon, Voltaren-gel, etc.
Treatment of lumbar radiculitis with folk remedies
Treatment of lumbar radiculitis can be not only medicamentally, but also folk remedies. There are many effective folk recipes that can cope with radiculitis pain in the back.
Garlic is an effective anti-inflammatory drug that helps to forget about the sore back for a long time. At a radiculitis it is necessary to take three large heads of garlic, to put in a pan, to fill in half of liter of water and to boil. Then take the garlic and grind it into the gruel.
Garlic mix should be applied to a clean napkin and put on a painful lumbar region. On top of the compress should be covered with cellophane, and then wrap your back with something warm. With a garlic compress you can walk all day. At night, it must be removed.
Treatment with beeswax
This method of treatment with folk remedies is based on the expressed warming effect of beeswax. It is better to apply it after a day or two after the appearance of the first pain in the lower back. Beeswax must be melted on a steam bath. Apply a burdock oil to the painful area. After this, the wax must be cooled, so that it does not burn the skin, and put on the lower back.
Then the wax application should be covered with cellophane or foil, and wrap the waist with a warm kerchief or scarf. During warming up, the patient must remain immobile. It's best to put it on the bed on your stomach and cover with a blanket.
Bee wax deeply warms soft tissues and has a soothing effect on the sciatic nerve. In addition, it has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. Such complex healing properties help to permanently get rid of sciatica.
Treatment of sheep or dog hair
Another method of treating radiculitis with folk remedies is also based on heating, only in this case dry heat is used. For treatment, you can use a ready-made belt from dog hair or make a belt of sheep's hair on your own.
To do this, you can cut a strip of fabric from an old sweater of sheep's wool and strengthen it with an elastic band. Before wearing, the belt should be soaked in salt solution and dried. It must be worn all the time, without removing it for the night. Such a belt will give a uniform dry heat, which soothingly acts on the painful lower back.
Black Radish Compress
Black radish juice has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect that helps to relieve pain with radiculitis. Black medium-sized radish should be crushed into a gruel and add 2 tablespoons to it.honey and 50 grams of vodka.
Painful place should be greased with burdock or sunflower oil and cover with gauze, then put on it a ready-made mixture, cover with a food film and wrap the lower back. The compress should be left for 1-2 hours. In order to get a more pronounced effect, it is better to apply it after the bath and immediately go to bed.
Wet heat deeply penetrates into soft tissues and soothes irritated sciatic nerve, therefore it is possible to treat radiculitis with the help of a steam bath. First, ask someone close to warm up a painful place with the help of a bath broom.
Then in the affected area, it is necessary to rub a brown laundry soap with light massage movements. If the pain is tolerable, you can switch to stronger rubbing movements.
After the bath you need to wrap your waist with a warm scarf and go to bed. As a rule, the pain subsides the next morning.
Treatment with potatoes
To treat lumbar radiculitis with folk remedies, you can use ordinary potatoes. To do this, it is necessary to weld 5 medium potatoes together with the peel and crush them into gruel. Then the waist should be lubricated with sunflower or burdock oil and covered with gauze.
When the gruel cools down to a tolerable temperature, it must be laid out on a painful place, covered with cellophane and wrapped in the waist. Leave the compressor to cool. The method works by intensive moist heating.
You can also use raw potatoes. It should be rubbed on a large grater and mixed in equal proportions with gasoline. This compress is also necessary to spread on gauze. Keep it should not more than 15-20 minutes.
Treatment with a water-block and camphor
This method is based on the beneficial effect of two components - bodyagi and camphor. The bodywash promotes increased blood circulation in the area affected by the radiculitis, while camphor produces an intense warming effect. To prepare the flour, it is necessary to mix 100 grams of camphor and bodjagi powdered into powder.
Pour the resulting mixture into melted and boiled butter. Stir well and allow to cool. This mixture must be rubbed with mild massage movements into the painful lumbar region several times a day.
You need to store camphor flour in the fridge.
Treatment with snow
This method helps to cool the lower back and calm the pain. It is better to apply it immediately after the onset of pain. Two to three days after the start of radiculitis, it is better to use warming agents. For the treatment of back pain in winter, you can collect a three-liter can of snow and pour a handful of salt into it, mix it and immediately put it on the waist, after covering the skin with gauze( not to get a cold burn).
Snow will melt, so the bed on which the patient is lying should be covered with oilcloth. Extreme cold is poorly tolerated by the patient, however, this method helps to quickly remove acute pain.
Lumbar sciatica: consequences, stages, symptoms, causes and treatment, gymnastics and exercises
An important diagnostic feature of lumbar radiculitis is the soreness of certain points of the waist, popliteal, heel and center of the foot when palpated.
Stages of development of radiculitis
Stages of radiculitis are due to pathological changes in the body that occur against the background of the progression of the underlying disease:
- Acute( neurological). With compression of the nerve roots, pain and other symptoms increase, muscle tension and sensitivity of the lumbar region increase.
- Chronic. More and more often there are long blunt or pulling pains, the sensitivity of the waist and limbs decreases. Symptoms are associated with muscle atrophy, as well as tenderness in the palpation of the paravertebral points.
After collecting anamnesis and examining the patient neurological, muscular and motor tests are performed. For the diagnosis is mandatory X-ray examination of the spine and pelvis.
In most cases( up to 90%) the picture confirms the development of osteochondrosis or hernia of the intervertebral disc.
The degree of compression of the nerve roots is visualized in images obtained with MRI or CT.If suspicion of inflammation in the nerve trunks as a complication of viral diseases( neuritis, myelitis), puncture of cerebrospinal fluid, as well as general clinical studies.
Densitometry is performed for differential diagnostics with spine osteoporosis, and ultrasound of the abdominal cavity, small pelvis, and peritoneal and retroperitoneal MRI is used to exclude tumors.
Consequences from radiculitis
The main trouble, which threatens the appearance of chronic sciatica - strong pain sensations , significantly reducing the human performance and its motor activity.
Serious consequences for health are also diseases, leading to the development of lumbar radiculitis. In the event that, along with the compression of the nerve roots, the blood vessels are compressed, prolonged absence of treatment can lead to myocardial infarction( ischemia) of the spinal cord.Violation of the functioning of large nerves often causes paresis or paralysis of the extremities.
When neuritis and myelitis are attached to infectious lesions of the spinal cord, neuritis and myelitis are observed. Ultimately, any of the complications of diseases of the spinal column and the adjacent zone can lead to disability of the patient.
Treatment of lumbar sciatica
First-aid measures for a person with an acute attack of sciatica are as follows:
- Taking an anesthetic, topically applying an ointment or cream with NSAIDs.
- Massage of the lumbar region.
- Fixation of the loin in a less painful position.
- Bed rest, if possible - on the orthopedic mattress.
The tactics of treating radiculitis are determined by the attending physician( therapist, surgeon, vertebrologist) on the basis of diagnostic data and in establishing the exact cause of this phenomenon.
The main directions of therapy:
- The course reception of NSAIDs with the aim of alleviating the pain syndrome and relieving inflammation( movalis, ketorolac, ibuprofen, orthophen, xsefokam).Medications are prescribed in accordance with the individual characteristics of the course of the disease and associated pathologies( for example, diseases of the digestive tract).
- Muscle relaxants ( midokalm, orfenadrine).Elimination of muscle spasm effectively facilitates the patient's condition.
- Injection of , administration of drugs in the area of severe pain by electrophoresis, blockade. Such methods of therapy are used in the presence of severe pain;most often in the role of analgesics are solutions of novocaine, lidocaine, glucocorticosteroids, vitamin B12.
- Drip intravenous administration of a mixture of diphenhydramine, euphyllin, Relanium , or Actovegin in mono-mode. This method of therapy due to the acceleration of blood microcirculation improves trophism of tissues, has a resolving effect and relieves pain syndrome.
- Venotoniki ( escusan, venoruton) for improvement of hemocirculation in the affected area of the spine.
- Vitamins of group "B" in the form of intramuscular injections to accelerate the regeneration of damaged tissues.
- External treatment: anesthetic ointments and creams with NSAIDs, novocaine, analgesic patches, warming agents, creams with bee, snake venom.
The use of additional physiotherapeutic and non-medicinal methods of plays a huge role in the treatment of lumbar radiculitis:
- Warming( UHF, dry heat), microcurrent treatment, laser therapy.
- Manual therapy, massage.
- Radon baths, balneotherapy.
- After elimination of the pain syndrome, exercise therapy and gymnastics are shown.
In some cases, completely to get rid of lumbar radiculitis is possible only with radical treatment of the underlying disease - with surgery.
The most frequently used microdiscectomy( with intervertebral hernia), lumbar laminectomy( with stenoses of the spinal canal), as well as operations to release the compressed nerve trunks.
Exercise and ExerciseExercises and high motor activity in diseases of the spine contribute to a speedy recovery.
With radiculitis, the goal of the exercises is to strengthen the spinal column, increase the tone of the back muscles, and also reduce pain and overall stabilization of the patient's condition.
During the period of exacerbation, simple exercises are performed in the supine or sitting position. It is not recommended to raise your legs, it is better to gently slide the sole on the floor or bed;we must not forget about the ankle workout, hip and knee joints of the bones, since with radiculitis pain and muscle atrophy are observed in these zones. At occurrence of a dyscomfort employment stops.
During the remission period, the amplitude of movements increases slightly, the rate of training accelerates. After doing exercises for warming up the waist, you can wear a special corset or bandage.
The following exercises can be used as an example:
- The slopes of the body are right-to-left, while the legs are shoulder-width apart, the arms are at the waist.
- Tilting back and forth with a delay in this position for 3-4 seconds.
- Body turns in the right and left side.
- The same exercises in combination with deep breaths and exhalations.
- Deep inclines forward, with fingers extending to the floor.
- Rotational movement of the body.
Treatment with folk remedies
The use of folk methods in radiculitis is often welcomed even by adherents of traditional medicine, because in most cases gives positive results:
- When you go to the bath you can use the following method of pain relief: it is good to steam out the loin with a broom and then rub the patientbody area with soap, while massaging the skin and muscles. After the end of the procedure, you need to wash yourself and go to bed under the blanket.
- You can buy a warming tincture in the pharmacy, but it's more efficient to cook it yourself: put 1 bottle of triple cologne in a dark dish, throw 5 pods of hot pepper and pour in 1 bubble of iodine. In a day the product is ready for use. The loin is lubricated with such a tincture, using a cotton disc or brush, and then wrap the body with a warm cloth.
- With radiculitis, it will be useful to take anti-inflammatory and circulation-improving baths with grated horseradish, mustard powder, sage and oat straw infusions, decoctions of the roots of the angelica, mazebnik.
Nutrition for lumbar radiculitisImprovement of bone and cartilage tissue is possible with sufficient consumption of plant fiber.
The inclusion of raw vegetables in the menu is particularly useful. Meat and fish are also used in the preparation of dishes to the fullest, but at the same time are selected lean varieties( chicken, beef). Whole grains - the basis of daily breakfasts;it is recommended to consume them in combination with honey, fruits, nuts. The legumes also have a beneficial effect on the spine, so they should be present in the menu at least once a week. It is necessary to remember and dairy products - sources of calcium, which should be on the table at least 4 times a week.
The main method of prevention is to prevent high loads on the spine, strengthen the muscular corset, and also to form a correct posture.
To achieve these goals it is necessary: to conduct an active lifestyle; sustavok.ru