Shoulder Joint Pain: Causes and TreatmentAcute or aching shoulder pain affects the person's ability to work, the mood and lifestyle, often accompanied by movement restrictions, hands or a shovel. Often, such pain indicates a disease of the shoulder joint, but sometimes it can be a symptom of a very serious disease, for example, myocardial infarction.
How is the joint of the shoulder?
The shoulder joint belongs to the spherical joints of our body, it is formed by the articular cavity of the scapula and the head of the humerus. The latter is several times larger than the corresponding cavity; therefore, to achieve congruence of the surfaces, the scapula has a special connective tissue formation - the joint lip, which is attached along the edges of the scapula cavity, increasing its depth and curvature.
The shoulder joint has a large capsule, which is important when performing movements of different volumes. Inside the joint passes the tendon of the biceps. Outside, the joint is surrounded by muscles, forming a rotator cuff of the shoulder: supraspinous, subscapular, subacute and small round muscle. Their ends are connected by a single tendon and attached to the large tubercle of the humerus. These muscles provide a tight fit of the head of the shoulder to the joint cavity and allow for a variety of movements. In addition, the nerve endings of the brachial plexus and the large branches of the arteries pass through the joint region.
Causes of pain in the shoulder joints
In fact, the pain in the shoulder joint can be divided into 2 large groups:
- Linked directly to the shoulder joint and surrounding structures.
- Emerging for other reasons.
The first group includes the following types of pain:
- Capsule. The painful stiffness of the muscles of the shoulder girdle grows, but because of the pain the hand does not lift up, it becomes difficult for women to fasten the bra or even bring the spoon to the mouth.
- Inflammation of the rotator cuff of the shoulder. As a rule, this condition develops on the second day after intensive work, when a sharp pain arises upward when the arm is raised( especially when it is necessary to get something from the upper shelf).At the same time, no pathology will be revealed on X-rays.
- Inflammation of tendons of muscles and bags of a joint( tendobursite).It usually develops due to the formation of calcium salts in the tendon area. At the same time, the pain is intense, gives into the arm, the area of the neck. Movement in the joint is severely limited.
- Inflammation and degenerative changes in the shoulder joint, which hurts, crunches and becomes swollen.
The second group includes the following types of pain:
- Osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia of the cervical spine. The pain extends over the shoulder and forearm. This often hurts the arm from the shoulder to the elbow or hurts the shoulder and neck.
- Remote pain, irradiating on nerve fibers. For example, the left arm, including the shoulder, hurts with myocardial infarction, angina pectoris.
The following risk factors contribute to the onset of pain:
- incorrect posture;
- chronic shoulder trauma;
- excessive physical activity;
- uncomfortable posture while sleeping;
- lack of mobility.
Diseases accompanied by pain in the left or right arm
- Tendonitis, bursitis. Develops with excessive load on the shoulder joint or repetition of monotonous movements, for example, when sawing wood or playing golf.
- Syndrome of "collision".Pain in the arm appears when it is raised or removed from the body by 30-900.In this case, calcium is deposited in the tendon under the scapula and collarbone. It is characterized by constant and intense pain, it develops mainly after 30 years.
- Household and sports shoulder injuries. Severe bruise, dislocation, fracture - these conditions will also be accompanied by pain, and if large vessels or nerve endings appear, hematomas appear, the arm grows numb.
- Tumors. Benign and malignant tumors can also cause pain in the shoulder and joint.
- Periarthritis periarthrosis. The pain gradually progresses, the movements in the joint become difficult.
- Diseases of the internal organs that cause shoulder pain:
- liver disease;
- myocardial infarction;
- imprinting syndrome;
- tumors of the mediastinum;
- arthritis, arthrosis of the shoulder joint;
- myofascial syndrome;
- cervical radiculitis.
What should I do?
It is best to contact a doctor immediately to determine the cause of the pain. This is especially important with the development of myocardial infarction or shoulder injury, when an emergency team should be called. In other cases, you can refer to a specialist in a planned order, and to reduce the intensity of pain, take the doctor's recommended pain medication. After the examination, the doctor will prescribe a more in-depth examination, which may include:
- MRI, CT of the shoulder joint;
- blood test for acute phase reactions( rheumatic tests);
- ECG( for the exclusion of myocardial infarction);
- ultrasound of internal organs( with liver pathology);
- for suspected oncology - positron emission tomography and biopsy of tumor tissues.
To which doctor should I apply?
Usually this is your family doctor or therapist who conducts an initial examination, and then, if necessary, appoints a consultation of narrow specialists:
- of the oncologist;Allergist
- and the like.
Treatment of shoulder pain
Treatment of shoulder pain depends on the cause of its appearance. In inflammatory diseases it is recommended to take painkillers of the NSAID group( for example, indomethacin, diclofenac, movalis, nimesulide, ketanol, etc.).In case of serious traumatic injuries, surgical intervention is indicated, which can be classical or minimally invasive, for example, medical arthroscopy.
Treatment of pain due to degenerative changes in the articular area includes the use of drugs with chondroprotective properties, as well as the introduction of artificial intraarticular fluid and enzyme agents. When the shoulder is dislocated, the ligaments are stretched, the immobilization of the limb is shown, up to the application of the plaster bandage. Tumors are surgically removed, and chemo- and radiotherapy is also used.
Treatment of pain in the joint with folk remedies
Treatment of pain with folk remedies can not replace complex medical and surgical treatment, so it can only be carried out as an auxiliary therapy and only when the pain is chronic.
- Cabbage leaf. He is put on a sick joint for the night and wrapped in a scarf. It is believed that it will relieve inflammation.
- White willow bark tea. Removes inflammation and has analgesic effect.
- Rub an ointment, prepared from 2 tablespoons of ammonia and turpentine, and 2 chicken raw eggs into joints. This mixture is whipped to a homogeneous creamy consistency and rubbed into the area of the affected joint at night.
Pain in the shoulder joint of the left arm. What should I do if my left shoulder hurts?
The human body is unique. Every organ, joint and even a cell performs certain functions. If something fails, there is pain. Such a symptomatology the body signals about the disease. The resulting discomfort, it protects the injured area of the body from excessive damage. That's why these signs can not be ignored. They should be treated very carefully. What pathologies can the pain in the shoulder joint of the left arm say? Let's understand.
Causes of pathology
The shoulder is a fairly complex joint of the human body. It is endowed with maximum functionality. The presence of this or that pathology in it not only disrupts the joints, but also leads to swelling, inflammation and destruction of the joint bag, and sometimes violates the integrity of the tendons. The shoulder joint can work for a long time even in this case. But time comes and it breaks down. A person experiences severe pain in the shoulder joint.
The causes of this pathology can be covered in developing ailments:
- Tendonitis. Or inflammation of joint tendons. The reason for this pathology is in intensive workloads. During severe physical exertion, the tendons with the joint surface interact very closely. As a result, a person experiences irritation and pain.
- Tendonitis of the biceps. Pathology manifests itself in the flexor muscle, which is localized in the upper region of the shoulder. With such ailment, the patient experiences constant pain. When probing the damaged area or any movement, the sensations intensify. If the ligament of the shoulder joint is completely torn, a globular swelling is visually noticeable.
- Bursitis. This disease often accompanies tendonitis. A pathology also arises after prolonged overexertion. But bursitis leads to swelling of the joint.
- Salt deposition. As a result of this pathology, the ligaments of the joint become rigid. Often the deposition of salts is localized under the scapula and clavicle. It is observed in individuals over 30 years. Pain discomfort appears suddenly. In its manifestation, it is strong enough. Any position of the hand does not reduce it. It becomes difficult for a person to take a limb even 30 centimeters from the body.
- Violation of the formation of articulation at the genetic level.
- Injury of the joint. Young people, especially athletes, sometimes have a dislocation that causes pain in the shoulder joint. The causes of pathology in elderly people are usually associated with degenerative processes.
- Overgrowth of the ligament of the shoulder. Often the phenomenon occurs in bodybuilders. The joint becomes unstable in pathology. Most exercises cause difficulties for the athlete. Sometimes even a cartilage rupture is diagnosed.
- Shoulder-flap periarthrosis. Pain in the shoulder joint of the left arm or right arm is the main symptom of the disease. Over time, discomfort increases. And leads to the fact that the patient can not sleep at night. The nature of pain is quite varied - from dull to severe burning.
- Tendon tendon rupture.
- Hernia, protrusion of the discs of the cervical spine.
- Neurogenic pathology. The phenomenon in which the sensitivity of the upper limbs, neck is broken.
- Arthritis, arthrosis.
- Internal ailments( heart, liver, lungs and others).
Serious pathologies of internal organs
Very often the pain in the shoulder joint of the left arm is perceived as a manifestation of osteochondrosis. However, sometimes such discomfort signals about various pathologies of internal organs:
- Angina pectoris. When the disease pain radiates to the shoulder, neck, hand. Typical symptoms of the classic picture are compressive, pressing pain in the sternum, shortness of breath after physical exertion. But sometimes the disease goes differently. The patient feels only pain in the shoulder joint of the left arm and in the neck. Thus the discomfort can not be felt in a hand, prickings in heart on it is observed. Only the ECG will detect ischemia.
- Myocardial infarction. Classic symptoms, such as shortness of breath, the appearance of unbearable burning pain in the chest, unfortunately, do not always occur. Very often the pathology is signaled by a burning sensation in the shoulders and neck. As a rule, it is the left shoulder joint that worries. Accompany the disease patient's anxiety, difficulty breathing, the appearance of sweat on his forehead.
This phenomenon is a common trauma. Fracture of the shoulder joint can affect any department:
- bone head;
- the body of the shoulder;
- condyle area.
Frequent sources of pathology are: falling on the arm, strong strokes or sports injuries. At the fracture of the shoulder joint, there are quite typical symptoms:
- painful discomfort in the area of injury;
- bruise, swelling;
- shoulder deformity, sometimes shortening of the hand may be observed;
- may impair the sensitivity of the hand, fingers;
- limb mobility limitation;
- when you feel the damaged place, sometimes you hear a crunch.
Treatment of pathology
With this symptomatology, hardly anyone will take self-medication. But nevertheless it is necessary to remind, that similar pathologies are treated by the doctor. The patient will be prescribed analgesic, anti-inflammatory and calcium-containing drugs.
With a slight fracture, not accompanied by an offset, a plaster cast may be prescribed. Sometimes it is enough to put a tire or bandage on the shoulder joint. Duration of wearing varies depending on the pathology. As a rule, it is from one month to one and a half.
In case of serious injuries, the patient may need surgery with fixing screws, special plates, spokes, rods.
After the fracture is broken, the patient is given medical-physical and physiotherapeutic procedures that allow restoring limb functioning.
The shoulder joint consists of a shoulder blade, collarbone and shoulder bones. Its integrity is maintained by the muscles and the joint bag, as well as the tendons and ligaments. Stretching of the shoulder joint leads to a whole kind of pathological changes.
The patient may have different degrees of damage:
- Shoulder joint rupture. With this pathology, the ligaments are completely ruptured, all fibers are damaged.
- Sprain of ligaments. At this phenomenon, partial damage to the fibers is observed.
About this pathology may indicate the following symptoms:
- occurrence of pain;
- discomfort is felt even in a calm position;
- feeling of weakness in the shoulder;
- joint mobility is limited - it is impossible to lift and withdraw the limb;
- articulation swells and may increase in size;
- presence of bruising and bruising;
- shoulder strain;
- while driving, you can hear a crash and crunch;
- tingling, numbness in articulation.
Methods of treatment
After the diagnosis is made by the doctor, special measures will be recommended.
Typically, they include:
- Cold compress. This procedure is permissible on the first day. However, you should know that exposure to cold should not last more than 20 minutes.
- Fixing the joint. If possible, it is recommended to limit the load on the joint. This will reduce pain and inflammation. In addition, the doctor can recommend a special bandage on the shoulder joint or orthopedic splint. The device provides fixation in the desired position of the joint. As a rule, the bandage is worn for several weeks.
- Rid of pain. To eliminate discomfort, the doctor will recommend non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which are used for injuries of the musculoskeletal system. Often prescribed drugs "Ibuprofen", "Ketorolac", "Naproxen".
- External means. For severe pain, it is recommended to apply ointment. Pain in the shoulder joint is significantly reduced after exposure to drugs with analgesic properties. The most effective ointments or creams: Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, Voltaren. The agent should be applied a thin layer of 2-3 times a day on the damaged area.
The question of surgical intervention is raised only if the medication was ineffective. Sometimes operations are done by athletes. This intervention allows you to fully restore the mobility of the shoulder and muscle strength.
Pain in osteochondrosis
This pathology occurs in people who are in a long time in the same pose. Osteochondrosis of the cervical region causes a disruption in the functioning of the autonomic nervous system, blood circulation. Often the discomfort is localized in the neck. However, pain in the muscles of the shoulder joint is often felt.
Such symptoms are provoked by bone growths that occur on the lateral surfaces of the vertebrae. They, traumatizing the nerve endings, cause the patient pain.
Treatment of pathology
It is very important to consult a specialist in a timely manner. Since the treatment is a rather difficult task, an integrated approach is needed:
- Medication. Initially, patients are prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Indomethacin, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen. If the pain lasts long enough, additional painkillers can be recommended: Pentalgin, Tramadol. In the complex, antidepressants can also be prescribed: "Fluoxetine", "Amitriptyline".In addition, chondroprotectors are assigned to patients: Teraflex, Chondroxide, Structum.
- Physical education. The mandatory component of the treatment is gymnastics. Exercises help restore damaged discs, significantly improve the mobility of the cervical region, strengthen muscle tissue.
- Rehabilitation measures. After pain relief, patients are assigned various procedures: magnetotherapy, massage, laser therapy, mud therapy, electrophoresis, traction traction, swimming in the pool.
Types of arthritis
Often, this pathology provokes pain. In the shoulder area, 3 forms of pathology can be diagnosed:
- Osteoarthritis. This disease develops as a result of degenerative age-related changes in tissues. The cartilage does not protect the joint surface from friction. A similar pathology is characteristic of the elderly.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. The disease is systemic. The inflammatory process covers the synovial membrane of the joint. Pathology affects people of any age.
- Post-traumatic arthritis. The disease develops against the background of the injuries - displacement, cracks or muscle rupture. Refers to varieties of osteoarthritis.
It is pain in the shoulder is the first and main sign of the development of arthritis. During the movement it increases. The weather change also affects the patient's well-being. The patient feels a decrease in the amplitude of mobility of the hand. Sometimes during the movement, a characteristic click is audible. In later stages, the joint hurts with such intensity that a person can not sleep at night.
Methods for dealing with pathology
How should a shoulder joint be treated with arthritis? Initially, physicians use physiotherapy, accompanied by taking medication, and physical education. The therapy package includes:
- warming compresses;
- use of special additives, such as "chondroitin";
- use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- complex of exercises.
Patients are advised to exclude sudden movements that cause pain and often fully rest.
In the case of ineffectiveness of such therapy, surgeons resort to surgical intervention. In this case, either a complete replacement of the damaged joint with a prosthesis or a partial replacement is considered.
Development of arthrosis
This is a chronic ailment. With arthrosis of the shoulder joint, the patient's condition slowly deteriorates. There is a degradation of articular cartilage and nearby tissues. The surface of the joint loses its smoothness. In places it is covered with osteophytes or salt spikes.
The process of developing arthrosis proceeds slowly. The first symptom that indicates the development of ailment is pain in the shoulder. Periodically, the discomfort is weakened. Physical labor leads to an exacerbation of pathology. The joint swells. The surrounding tissues turn red, become hot. Sometimes during the movement a crunch is heard.
Methods of treatment
For arthrosis, the following medical therapy is recommended for a patient:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. As a rule, a simple remedy is initially prescribed, such as Paracetamol. If it is not possible to achieve a favorable effect, the patient is recommended stronger medicines: Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Nimesulide. These funds allow you to stop the pain syndrome.
- Intra-articular blockade. In severe cases, special preparations are administered to the joint cavity. Often used hormonal medications "Hydrocortisone", "Prednisolone", "Kenalog".They provide a good anti-inflammatory effect.
- Chondroprotectors. Help restore the joint tissue. Most preferable drugs: "Teraflex", "Artra", "Artro-Active."
In addition to drug therapy, the patient is recommended physiotherapy, gymnastics.
Why there is pain in the shoulder joint and its treatment
Pain in the shoulder joint is a very common complaint. From such trouble nobody is insured, as this is one of the most mobile joints in the human body. Such a physiological feature is also a virtue( it provides a greater amplitude of movements of the upper limb), and a disadvantage( the shoulder joint due to the peculiarities of its anatomical structure is very susceptible to various negative factors).
What if I have a shoulder pain? The answer to this question is one: to determine the cause of the painful sensations and to begin treatment.
Features of the structure of the shoulder joint
First of all, it should be noted that the joint of the shoulder belongs to the spherical joint. This allows you to perform movements in all directions( flexion and extension, withdrawal and reduction, pronation and supination).In the body there is no more articulation with such a wide range of movements. All this allows the person to perform any movements with his hands, but at the same time leads to a shoulder vulnerability.
The shoulder joint consists of the articular cavity of the scapula and the head of the humerus, which is several times larger than the depression in the area. This particular feature contributes to frequent dislocations and subluxations in the shoulder.
But nature took care of the person and created a stabilizing apparatus of this joint, which consists of:
- cartilage tissue that is located at the edges of the articular cavity of the scapula and increases the area of contact with the head of the shoulder;
- of an articular capsule that captures large enough bones;
- numerous intraarticular and extraarticular ligaments, which stabilize their joints with their fibers and compact the capsule;
- powerful muscular skeleton;
- processes of the scapula and tendon muscles, which form a kind of roof over the joint.
Despite all these stabilizing elements, the shoulder is very prone to injury and various diseases. And given its complex structure( many synovial bags and other anatomical formations), it is almost impossible to determine why the shoulder joint hurts without additional diagnostic methods( X-ray, MRI, ultrasound).
As can be seen, the area of contiguity of the head of the humerus and articular cavity of the scapula is very small, which provides the vulnerability of the shoulder joint
. The main causes of
All causes of pain in the shoulder joint can be divided into 3 groups:
- Associated with damage to the structures of the joint itself.
- Conditioned by the pathology of the periarticular tissues( muscles, tendons, synovial bags, scapula processes, vessels and nerves).
- Those that arise due to the defeat of internal organs.
The pathology of the joint
First of all, if the shoulder joint is badly hurting, it is necessary to exclude its traumatic damage. A fall on the straight arm, a blow to the shoulder area, a sharp movement of the upper limb, a prolonged load on the shoulder joint and other factors can cause pathological symptoms. Pain can cause as a simple bruise, and a dislocation, subluxation, intraarticular fracture of the humerus, sprain or ligament rupture.
Falling on an elongated arm is the most common cause of shoulder dislocation and acute pain
In this case, the pain occurs immediately after the impact of the traumatic factor, increases during active and passive movements, which makes them impossible. Indications for trauma plus characteristic symptoms give the doctor the opportunity to suspect pathology, and the radiograph and ultrasound of the shoulder will help to clarify her character. To treat you in this case will be a traumatologist, it is not impossible to impose a cast or surgical fixation for fractures.
Often the cause of pain is arthrosis of the shoulder. It is a degenerative-dystrophic disease that affects mainly older people, but it also occurs in certain groups of young people( those who have predisposing factors of lesions of intraarticular cartilage of the shoulder joint).If you are an athlete and you crunches and hurts after training your shoulder, you must suspect arthrosis and seek medical help.
Also the cause of pain in the shoulder can be such diseases as tendonitis( inflammation of the tendons and ligaments of the shoulder), bursitis( inflammation of the joint capsule) of various genesis( infectious and aseptic).
A large group of injuries of the shoulder joint is rheumatological diseases. Most often the shoulder is affected by rheumatoid arthritis and Bekhterev's disease, but the shoulder joint can be retracted into the pathological process in any connective tissue diseases with the development of arthritis.
Very rarely, as a cause of shoulder pain, tumor lesions and congenital anomalies of the joint structure may occur.
Video about how to get rid of pain:
Lesion of periarticular structuresWe recommend reading:
Gymnastics for arthrosis of the shoulder joint
First place in the prevalence in this group of causes of shoulder pain is the humeropathy periarthritis. It is an inflammation of the periarticular tissues( tendons) and the surface layer of the joint capsule. The main symptoms that help to recognize pathology are: the joint is very sore for no apparent reason, painful sensations appear mainly at night, as the disease progresses, the pain becomes permanent and strong, which causes the person to apply all the methods of treatment known to him. Soreness increases when trying to actively move, especially when leaning over the shoulder, lifting the arm up, putting it behind the head. The disease lasts for a long time( up to several months), without adequate treatment leads to the development of stiffness in the joint and a decrease in the amplitude of movements.
The second place is occupied by pathology of the cervicothoracic spine. Osteochondrosis of this part of the spinal column with the development of radicular syndrome is often the cause of shoulder pain, which is often confused with arthrosis. To suspect a pathology it is possible on communication or connection of amplification or occurrence of a pain after turns by a head and a trunk, other signs, for example, a numbness of arms or hand. To treat such a disease is necessary in a complex way - medicines, exercise therapy, massage, manual therapy, stretching, etc.
Sometimes the cause of pain can become a "collision syndrome".This calcification( deposition of calcium salts) tendons and subacromial synovial bags, which are between the acromial process of the scapula and the shoulder joint. Pain occurs during movement, is intense and sudden in nature, resembles a gout attack. People often suffer from the age of 40 years.
Collision syndrome often causes pain in the older age group of the population
Plexitis( inflammation) of the brachial plexus can also cause joint pain.
Internal diseases that occur with pain in the shoulder
In some cases, pain in the shoulder joint is reflected. In acute or exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis( inflammation of the gallbladder), cholelithiasis, pain can be localized not in the right upper quadrant, but in the right shoulder.
Painful sensations in the left shoulder can indicate a heart attack. They can occur as equivalents of chest pain with angina pectoris or be the only symptom of myocardial infarction.
Also, soreness in the shoulder sometimes occurs with pneumonia, pleurisy, tumors of the pulmonary-bronchial apparatus.
In each case, if you are worried about shoulder pain without objective reasons, you need to seek medical help. Only a thorough medical examination using additional diagnostic techniques will help to establish the correct diagnosis and choose an adequate and effective treatment.
Pain in the shoulder joint: types of pain for different diseases
- Traditional medicine
Pain in the shoulder joint is well known not only to the elderly, but to many young people. Particularly affected are those who have a painful right shoulder joint. With severe pain with the right hand it is impossible to do something and this leads to the appearance of various everyday inconveniences. Although it does not really matter what kind of shoulder joint pains have arisen. In any case - this is a manifestation of a serious disease that requires treatment.
Factors contributing to the occurrence of pain include:
- sedentary lifestyle;
- increased shoulder strain for a long time( due to professional or other circumstances);
- previous injuries of the shoulder joint, which were not cured to the end;
- violation of posture.
The cause of pain in the shoulder can be different kinds of injuries , diseases and anatomical pathologies. Pain can occur due to the following diseases:
- joint injury;
- osteochondrosis( complex of disorders in articular cartilage) of the cervical spine;
- arthritis( inflammation of the joint);
- tendonitis( inflammation of the muscle of the shoulder joint);
- neuritis( inflammation) of the humeral nerve;
- calcification of ligaments of the shoulder joint as a result of the deposition of calcium salts.
Types of pain
All pain in the shoulder joint is divided into four types: acute, strong, sharp and aching. The nature of the pain and its severity and largely depends on the cause of the onset. Acute and severe symptoms require immediate medical attention.
Such pain may indicate an exacerbation, the highest stage of inflammation in the tendons and muscles( tendinitis), a sign of arthrosis or arthritis in the acute stage, inflammation of the nerve endings( neuritis).Strong pain can also talk about infringement of herniated intervertebral discs.
The most dangerous is acute pain in the left shoulder joint, since such a symptom may indicate an evolving myocardial infarction or an attack of angina pectoris.
The three main causes that cause severe pain in the shoulder joint are usually: trauma, inflammation in the joint itself and the tendon or nerve endings( with the intervertebral hernia).In case of a trauma, swelling in the area of injury first appears, and after a few minutes severe painful sensations appear.
As a rule, severe pain in the shoulder joint is caused by a trauma, or it can be caused by the rapid development of the inflammation process in tissues, the articular bag or tendons. The cause of this pain can be arthritis in the acute stage, capsulitis, as well as tendonitis.
Signs of chronic inflammation in the shoulder joint or in the tendons can be aching. It can also be evidence of more threatening diseases( myocardial infarction or angina pectoris).Feeling of aching pain is often associated with overstrain of the muscles of the shoulder. This happens on hard training or when doing the same physical work.
Characteristics of pain in the shoulder joint for different diseases
Injury of the shoulder joint
Most often, injuries occur in the form of bruises, dislocated shoulder, rupture of the shoulder tendon or muscles. Such injuries occur when accidental falls, sudden movements or excessive stresses on the joint( for example, athletes).In people in old age, with a fall or a shoulder blow, a humerus fracture may occur.
Injuries are always accompanied by acute pain in a damaged area. With the slightest movement of the hand, the pain intensifies. In some cases, it is impossible to move actively because of pain. With bruises, the pain is not so intense, and the motor function of the hand does not change.
Osteochondrosis causes severe pain in the shoulder joint and in the entire arm. The pain caused by osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is strengthened by movements of the neck and head. Sometimes it can be accompanied by a feeling of numbness or tingling in the hand. Cervical osteochondrosis may be accompanied by a complication such as humeropathy periarthritis( inflammation of the shoulder tendons and capsules of the shoulder joint).
Pain with this complication appears first at night, and is characterized by a slight intensity, but gradually the force of painful sensations increases. If this disease is not treated, then the affected joint becomes inactive, and the patient can not raise his hand above the horizontal line.
Arthritis can be of various origins( traumatic, infectious, allergic).The main sign of arthritis is acute or severe intolerable pain. Due to the edema the joint is deformed and becomes painful with any touching. Sometimes a person's body temperature rises.
Osteoarthritis is mainly found in elderly people and is characterized by acute pain. With loads that are associated with lifting weights, the pain intensifies. Over time, the joint, affected by arthrosis, becomes inactive. Touching the lower edge of the scapula and clavicle causes painful sensations.
Very often the cause of pain is tendonitis. As a result of excessive load on the shoulder, an inflammation of the tendon of the shoulder joint can occur. Pain in tendinitis is both aching and acute. But more typical is a sharp, sudden pain, the intensity of which increases at night. The mobility of the arm in the shoulder joint is reduced.
Neuritis of the brachial nerve
With neuritis, a false sensation can occur that the joint of the shoulder hurts, although with this disease it can be in a normal state. The defeat of the nerve leads to a sharp pain in the joint, which is enhanced by hand movements.
Shoulder capsulitis is a rare, but very painful disease. Constant aching pain extends not only to the shoulder joint, but also to the shoulder and neck area. The movement of the muscles of the affected shoulder becomes severely constrained. Pain with capsulitis does not give you the opportunity to raise your hand upwards or to bring it to yourself behind your back.
Calcification of ligaments
In a person over 30 years of age, calcium metabolism may be impaired. Then calcification foci( calcifications) appear in the tendon tissues. The formation of these foci leads to permanent pain in the shoulder. When you move your hand, painful sensations increase.
How to relieve pain in the shoulder joint
The removal of painful phenomena in the shoulder joint is considered symptomatic treatment, and is part of a comprehensive therapy. Because if the pain is simply eliminated, and the cause of the disease is not eliminated, then after a certain period of time the pain in the shoulder joint will arise again.
After the examination of the patient and the establishment of the disease, the physician must prescribe a comprehensive treatment, which includes the elimination of the cause of the disease, the destruction of its mechanism of development and the restoration measures.
In order to alleviate the suffering of the patient, first of all anesthesia therapy is carried out. Traditional and folk medicine is used to relieve pain.
Traditional medicine uses physical and medicinal methods to eliminate pain. Applying cold compresses to a painful place refers to the physical method. This anesthesia can be used as an initial aid in trauma to the joint.
Diseases of the shoulder joint have a different origin, therefore, when the doctor hears from the patient: "The shoulder joint hurts, what should I do?", He simply can not give an unambiguous answer. Diseases of the shoulder joint can be divided into two categories. The first: diseases, the consequence of which are degenerative processes in the joint tissues. The beginning of such diseases is the defeat and destruction of articular cartilage, in other words - arthrosis. The second category includes diseases of joints of an inflammatory nature, which provoke respectively inflammatory transformations in the joints - arthritis. Determining what to treat the shoulder joint, it is necessary to take into account the nature of the lesion.
Shoulder joint pain: how to treat
At the first stage in the treatment of shoulder joint disease, the emphasis is on reducing inflammation and arresting the pain syndrome. To this end, the patient is prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as voltaran. At the acute stage of the disease, rest is recommended for the affected limb. In the case of particularly severe pain, a therapeutic blockade is performed, for which a glucocorticoid suspension is used. With arthrosis, drug therapy is prescribed at the stage of exacerbation of the disease, the task of such therapy is the removal of inflammation in the tissues of the surrounding joint or in the joint itself. For this purpose, the treating physician prescribes anti-inflammatory non-steroid agents, for example, Ketanol, Ketoral, Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac.
It should not be forgotten that these drugs can damage the gastrointestinal tract, so that this does not happen, use them is recommended after eating. The course of treatment is designed for 10-15 days. But to date, drugs have already been developed that practically do not irritate the stomach or do it minimally. The greatest distribution from the preparations of this group is Celebrex, Movalis, Naise. A good effect is provided by the combination of oral administration of anti-inflammatory drugs with their local use in the form of gels and ointments. Modern well-proven drugs of this type: Dolgit-cream, Diclofenac-gel, Fastum-gel. In cases of pronounced process, a periarticular blockade with steroid agents and novocaine is prescribed. This responsible procedure is performed exclusively by the doctor. In especially difficult cases, they resort to X-ray therapy.
How to cure a shoulder joint with the methods of physiotherapy
Physiotherapy methods of treatment of shoulder joint diseases are applied on a local level. It is possible to achieve reduction of muscular spasm and pain syndrome, to remove inflammatory processes. Physiotherapy improves trophism and microcirculation, has a beneficial effect on metabolism in articular tissues. Drug electrophoresis is effective. The medicinal effect of drugs administered in ionized form is greatly enhanced. At the same time, we should not forget that not every drug is suitable for this method, since the effect of an electric current changes the structure of some substances, and, consequently, their pharmacological properties. In the early stages of the disease, magneto- and electrotherapy, on the chronic side, quantum and laser therapy, are effective. Penetrating power of radiation provides an impact on the foci of the disease located deep in the tissues. Low-intensity infrared and red radiation has a stable anti-inflammatory, analgesic, trophic and regenerative effect.
Traditional treatment of the shoulder joint
For the relief of pain in diseases of the shoulder joint, herbal infusions with anti-inflammatory effect are used: cranberries, St. John's Wort, melissa, and also a decoction of laurel leaves or wormwood. How to treat the shoulder joint with herbs? The grass is poured with boiling water( 2 tablespoons) and insisted in the thermos for 4 hours. The composition is drunk in small portions throughout the day. If aching pain in the shoulder region is a consequence of overloads, melted and mixed with the salt of pork fat is good. It is applied by rubbing. This method is useful alternating with the treatment of boiled oatmeal. Constant and cooled porridge is applied as a compress. Reduces the inflammation and onions. It is ground to a gruel-like condition and applied to a painful patch. There are recipes and "inside".In particular, inflammation is removed by taking Kalanchoe tincture - you should drink it three times a day.
An important role is assigned to a diet. Special attention should be paid to products containing calcium, in which the inflamed joint is in great need. That's why it is recommended to give up coffee, because it is very intense washing out of our body is calcium.
The shoulder joint hurts: the reasons how to treat and what to do if the
crunches. With the condition, when the shoulder joint hurts, almost every person encounters. Unpleasant pains that occur while doing this, cause discomfort and interfere with active life. Pain in the shoulder can be visited even by an apparently healthy person, when, for example, he lifts excessive weights, severely straining the area of the shoulder girdle.
The peculiarity of the structure of the shoulder girdle is that it can withstand heavy loads, but its possibilities are not unlimited. He can recover himself, but only if he received not too much damage. If the shoulder joint ends with a limit of strength, then its functions are violated, which leads to inflammatory phenomena, edema and even to ruptures of ligaments and tendons.
The causes of pain in the shoulder joint are conventionally divided into two types:
- Relatively safe when the pains pass by themselves or with the help of local warming agents.
- Pain as a consequence of other diseases, the treatment of which can not do without medical intervention.
There are risk factors that mainly cause the emergence of painful shoulder joint syndromes:
- The sedentary lifestyle of leads to muscle atrophy, disruption of connective tissue function and deterioration of blood vessel circulation, which leads to disruption of the musculoskeletal system and shoulder joint inincluding.
- Incorrect nutrition of results in a deficiency of nutrients in the tissues of the body and promotes the deposition of salts on the joints, which can cause pain and discomfort.
- Incorrect posture( scoliosis) of interferes with blood circulation and impedes the movement of joints.
- The old, untreated injuries of sooner or later always draw attention to themselves. They are capable of provoking diseases of the motor apparatus.
The faster the treatment for the affected shoulder joint is administered, the more efficient and faster the recovery will be.
Consider the reasons for the pain syndrome in the shoulder, which can be safe for humans and which can be cured independently:
- Damage to the cuff of the shoulder joint. Pain syndrome occurs when a person works for a long time, with his hands held high and his head thrown back, because of which blood circulation in the shoulder girdle is broken. The pains appear on the next day and pass for 2-3 days. Such pain can arise, for example, when collecting fruits from trees or painting ceilings.
- Subcooling. There is a cramping of the muscle in the shoulder, when a person stays in the cold or draft for a long time. If you immediately begin treatment with warming ointments, the pain quickly passes.
It happens that the reason that the shoulder joint hurts may be the result of a serious illness. In such cases, at the first sign, you should immediately seek advice from a specialist.
Injury of the shoulder. This can be any stretching, bruising or rupture of ligaments. The complexity of the injury is difficult to determine for yourself, so you need help from a doctor. Light bruises and sprains are easily treated with tight bandages, and severe injuries require specialized treatment from a traumatologist or orthopedist.
Capsule. This is a condition in which inflammation occurs in the capsule of the shoulder joint. It is characterized by the limitation of the motor activity of the hand.
Tendonitis. It is accompanied by inflammation of the ligaments of the shoulder joint, which arises from excessive loads. Tendonite is subjected to people engaged in heavy physical labor, and sometimes schoolchildren wearing heavy school bags on one shoulder.
Bursitis. This is a condition that accompanies tendonitis. When bursitis occurs, inflammation of the capsule in the joint of the shoulder and its swelling.
Periarthritis. In the event of a metabolic disorder, salts in the joints are deposited. It is characterized by sudden pain during shoulder movements. Primarily occurs in middle-aged and elderly people.
Osteochondrosis. Disturbances associated with osteochondrosis give painful sensations to the shoulder joint, especially worse with head movement. Treatment of osteochondrosis will bring to nothing and pain in the shoulder.
Arthritis of the shoulder joint. This is an infectious inflammatory disease of the joint tissues of the shoulder girdle. It is expressed by blunt pains in the shoulder joint, its edema, redness of the skin, fever and restriction of motor functions.
Osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint. This is an inflammation of the cartilaginous tissues of the shoulder joint. It is expressed by symptoms, as with arthritis, but without signs of inflammation.
Diseases of internal organs. Pain syndrome in the shoulder can be a consequence of diseases of the internal organs: cholecystitis, angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, pleurisy, pneumonia, chest tumors.
Often many are concerned about crunching or specific clicks in the shoulder joint with sudden movements with the arm or shoulder. Usually this is due to the deposition of excess salts in the joint tissues, which is most often observed in elderly people in view of wear and tear of the musculoskeletal system, as well as as a result of metabolic disturbance.
A crunch can sometimes occur during sports activities. In this case, it is necessary to limit the motor activity and give the joint a rest, fixing it with an elastic bandage, cuff or a fixing strap. When the condition is normal, the crunch will disappear.
Specially crunch in the shoulder girdle is not treated, but when it causes severe pain that does not pass for a long time, it can be a signal of the onset of the disease with arthrosis or periarthritis. These diseases are treated only in the doctor's office.
How to treat
In mild cases after hypothermia or excessive load, shoulder pain passes by itself without medical intervention. To restore faster, you can apply a warming ointment or compress on the affected area.
When injuring the shoulder, it is necessary to attach a cold object to the sore spot, fix the hand on the bandage and then contact the traumatologist. The doctor will send the patient to a radiological examination and, according to his results, will prescribe the necessary treatment.
If the pain is a consequence of a disease, it is necessary to get cured of the disease first, and then other painful sensations will cease to manifest themselves.
If you have severe pain in the shoulder girdle, if they last a long time, you should definitely consult a doctor so as not to miss another serious illness.
Osteoarthritis, arthritis, bursitis and periarthritis of the shoulder joint are diseases of the shoulder girdle. Before treating these diseases, the doctor prescribes a diagnostic examination, which includes immunological and hormonal research, radiography and tomography.
The doctor determines the diagnosis and prescribes the treatment. First of all, drug-based complex therapy is used to remove symptoms and eliminate the mechanisms of the disease:
- Pain medications are prescribed for rapid pain relief.
- Antipyretic agents are used in the presence of temperature.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed if the disease is caused by an infection.
- Ointments and topical cream are used to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Vitamin complexes are assigned to maintain the patient's condition.
After drug therapy, a restorative treatment is prescribed until the motor functions of the ligaments are fully restored. For this purpose, the patient is prescribed such procedures as physiotherapy, massage, reflexology, physiotherapy exercises, sanatorium treatment. In serious cases, surgical intervention is used.
As you know, the disease is better to prevent than treat. To never bother the shoulder joint, you must always monitor the health of your body and take all the preventive measures to protect it:
- Regularly exercise.
- Include in the diet sufficient amount of microelements necessary for the organism.
- Heal up the injured joints to the end.
- In time to treat infectious and other diseases.
- Avoid excessive physical activity.
Observing preventive measures, one can forget for ever what it is when the shoulder joint hurts, and even prevent other unpleasant diseases.