Ankle injury is a serious injury that disrupts the ability to work, and sometimes leads to disability.
During the injury, not only the skin, but also the muscles, subcutaneous tissue, nerve endings and blood vessels are damaged.
ICD 10 is the abbreviation for the international classification of diseases. In this classification, the ankle bruise has its own number - S90.0.
To begin with we will find out the reasons that lead to the development of such damage.
provocative factors Provoking the appearance of an injury can several reasons:
- fall from height;
- anatomical feature. The joint is slightly bulging and almost devoid of subcutaneous fat, and this makes it vulnerable to injury.
How can you understand that you have a bruise? Let us consider the characteristic features.
With an injury, it is extremely important to begin treatment in a timely manner, otherwise the functional capacity of the joint may be seriously impaired.
This damage manifests itself by the appearance of such unpleasant symptoms:
- immediately after the injury there is a lot of pain, which may not take several days;
- pains affect the entire foot so much that a person can not make a step;
- lameness, which is highly visible;
- swelling and swelling of the foot;
- nerve compression, which only increases soreness;
- hematoma, which develops due to the rupture of small vessels;
- in severe cases begin to grow dumb toes and the entire foot.
The clinical picture of the injury can be similar to the stretching and bruising, which is why it is important to immediately contact a specialist
Possible complications of
An untreated lesion can result in such consequences:
- congestion in the joint cavity, called "hemarthrosis".It occurs due to the fact that the capsule of the joint is damaged;
- arthrosis. After a while, especially when the lesions occurred repeatedly, a similar degenerative pathology may develop;
- is another complication that can occur immediately after the injury, an inflammatory process in the synovium. At the slightest contact with the site of damage, severe pain and swelling occur;
- due to the fact that because of an injury a person begins to move a little, there is a violation of blood circulation. The skin becomes unnatural, and the swelling begins to progress. This complication has the name "Syndrome Zudeka."
What to do in case of an ankle injury?
First aid for
First aid in case of trauma is as follows:
- , the first thing to do is to place the leg in such a way that it is above the head;
- application of Ricinol to reduce edema and pain;
- the damaged area should be bandaged with an elastic bandage. Alternatively, you can use a regular bandage or bandage;
- a cold compress should be applied to the joint;
- to achieve an analgesic effect, you can drink an analgesic tablet.
It is important to properly re-bandage the joint, starting with the fingers and lifting up. You can not strongly pripintovyvat, otherwise the blood flow will be disrupted
Methods of struggle
Treatment of damage should be complex. It includes the following activities:You can also read: Ankle fixation with elastic bandage
- on the first day after injury, you can not load a damaged joint, and put a soft pillow under your leg;
- for strong pain during walking should use a cane, but if the pain is not strong, then it is just to try to limit walking, and also use an elastic bandage. Bint can not be left overnight. At occurrence of strong pains apply plaster langets with anti-inflammatory effect which do not remove within ten days;
- use of polymers. This is a special film that can restore blood circulation and damaged tissues. Polymedel should be applied for about 20-30 minutes;
- treatment also includes performing shin and foot massage;
- gymnastic exercises, which include flexion and extensor movements of the toes, feet, as well as circular rotation of the foot;
- after a few days after the injury you can make warm baths, but you can not use hot water. In the baths you can add sea salt;
- physiotherapy procedures( electrophoresis, paraffin applications, etc.).
Timely treatment will promote faster recovery, as well as reduce the likelihood of serious complications.
Folk remedies are an effective, and most importantly, a safe method of combating a bruise. Still it is worth consulting with a doctor before using folk remedies.
Let's consider the popular recipes that gave good results in case of damage:
- needs to heat salt and place it in a pouch, and then attach it to the damaged place;
- alcohol compress. For its preparation you need to take vodka, as well as medicinal herbs: bearberry leaves, horsetail, sporis, cornflower flowers, corn stigmas and birch buds. Grasses should be crushed and poured with vodka. Infusion should be put in a dark place for a few days, after which drain. We put the prepared compress on a sore spot for a couple of hours.
Do not self-medicate and make your own diagnoses. Only an experienced specialist will be able to conduct differential diagnosis of injury with other injuries. Make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the right treatment!
Ankle Bruiser: Symptoms and Treatment
Structure and Functions of the Ankle
Ankle joint is one of the largest in the human skeleton. In the formation of this joint involved three bones: tibial( lower joint surface and condyle), peroneal( condyles) and ramming from the side of the foot. The articular surface of the latter resembles a block. All these bone formations are strengthened by a thin articular capsule and ligamentous apparatus. Thanks to its block-shaped device in the joint, two basic movements around the front axis are possible: flexion and extension. In a bent form, when the foot is lowered, you can also take it aside. Together with other coordinated flexion and extension, the ankle joint participates in walking. In addition, the joint experiences a significant load in standing position due to the weight of a person.
Possible injuries of the ankle
Depending on the damaging force and direction of the shock, various ankle injuries are possible:
- stretching, tearing or tearing of ligaments;
- fracture( fracture) of the shin bones over the articulation;
- fracture( fracture) of bones through the joint surface;
- combined fracture.
These are the main types without taking into account displacements and complications.
Knee ankle injury
Under the ankle injury we understand the trauma caused by the external force in the joint area, but without disrupting the integrity of the tissues. The bruise is almost always accompanied by the following symptoms:
- tenderness( moderate to severe), worse when moving or resting on the leg;
- lameness, because because of pain a person avoids the load of the leg;
- edema, which can build up for several hours, causing the pain to become more intense;
- is a hematoma.
All these symptoms can indicate not only a bruise, but also other variants of trauma of this part of the leg, so it is extremely important to take an X-ray to avoid more serious consequences of the stroke.
Treatment of an ankle injury
Timeliness of injury treatment can save a person from possible complications and significantly reduce the duration of disability. All medical activities can be divided into first aid, which should be provided immediately, and basic( basic) treatment performed within the walls of the medical institution.
First aid is to apply a fixative bandage. The best thing for this is an elastic bandage, if it is not, then you can use an ordinary bandage or pieces of cloth. Bandage should be sufficiently tight, but not too tight to avoid blood vessel pressure. The latter is determined by changing the color and temperature of the fingers of the injured foot. Then dry ice is applied over the dressings for 20 minutes at intervals of 20-30 minutes during the first two hours.
As already mentioned, the ankle bruise may be accompanied by swelling, so the leg should be given an elevated position. This will also reduce blood pressure in the limbs and, accordingly, reduce the size of the possible hematoma. Specialized treatment of an ankle injury is performed in a medical institution. The doctor fixes the foot with a bandage, and in some cases with a gypsum langet. With severe pain and inflammatory edema, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as nimesulide or ketonal, are prescribed.
Be sure to conduct X-ray examination to exclude fracture, dislocation and other possible injuries. Locally appoint a variety of ointments and gels that have the property of penetrating into tissues and reduce edema. These drugs are applied lightly by massaging. Only after 3-4 days, a full foot and finger massage is possible, as well as gymnastics to restore the functionality of the joint. The latter consists in slow bending and extension of the foot.
After 7-10 days of treatment add physioprocedures( electrophoresis, paraffin baths), baths, in which salt is added. In the case of home treatment, traditional medicine recommends brewing herbs( chamomile, thyme, etc.).Any thermal, warming up procedures can not be prescribed in the early days of the disease, as this can increase inflammation. Before reducing pain and swelling, it is recommended to use a walking stick or crutch when walking.
Possible complications of injury
Complications of the injury usually develop with untimely or incorrect treatment. The most common hemarthrosis and synovitis, they are a collection of blood or inflammatory fluid in the joint. Sometimes posttraumatic arthrosis may develop in the event that the articular cartilage has been damaged. With prolonged fixation and the absence of restorative joint gymnastics, trophic disorders can occur.
Despite the fact that the ankle bruise proceeds without compromising the integrity of the tissues, it is necessary to consult a doctor to exclude more serious injuries and receive advice on treatment.
How should the ankle bruises be treated?| |Joint Disease
Description of the Ankle
Ankle joint is one of the largest joints in every person. This joint consists of three bones: tibial, fibular, rammed from the side of the foot. Bone formations are strengthened by an articular capsule, characterized by its fineness and strength, a ligamentous apparatus.
The ankle joint block device allows two basic movements to be performed: flexion and extension. In the bent form of the foot can be taken to the side. It should be noted that the ankle joint takes an active part in walking, and not only in flexion-extension. In addition, the ankle experiences a significant load in the standing position, because it has a human weight.
Ankle bruise is an injury that occurs as a result of the impact of an external force on the ankle. In this case, the tissues remain intact. The bruise in most cases is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms.
- Soreness, which can be mild or pronounced. Painful sensations can intensify when moving or resting on the leg.
- Lameness due to the fact that a person tries to save a leg due to pain.
- Swelling that can build up for several hours after injury. In connection with the increase in edema, the pain syndrome may become worse.
Do not hesitate to contact an experienced trauma specialist, as the above symptoms may be evidence not only of a bruise, but also of other ankle injuries. To clarify the diagnosis will take an X-ray. In all cases, the treatment of ankle bruises begins after determining the type of injury.
First aid must be provided, which will avoid unpleasant consequences.
The foot should be given an elevated position. The site of the injury should be treated using an emulsion. When processing, you can reduce swelling and pain.
Apply a bandage to the leg using an elastic bandage. If there is no elastic band around, you can use a regular bandage or a simple cloth for bandaging. Bandage is necessary from the toes, gradually lifting up. Each bandage tour should be covered by one third. Remember that the dressing should not be wrapped too much, because otherwise there may be a violation of blood flow.
To the place of injury it is necessary to apply cold for half an hour - an hour.
With severe pain, you should take an anesthetic or take an injection. Among the most popular analgesics, one should note analgin, diclofenac, ketonal, movalis.
How should I treat?
The leg needs complete rest during the first 24 hours. In the ideal case, the leg should be placed on the pillow. If walking can not be avoided, it is advisable to use a cane that will reduce the load. If the movement does not lead to severe pain, the walking stick is not necessary, but it is allowed to walk only for short distances and the ankle joint should be fixed with an elastic bandage or a special bandage. For the night, the bandage should be removed, allowing the leg to rest. With strong bruises, which are characterized by a strong edema, it is mandatory to apply gypsum longi for seven to ten days.
From the second day of the injury can be treated with ointments, gels or medical creams. For treatment, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be used. The optimal amount of use of drugs is three times a day. The use of the emulsion needs to be continued. In addition, the place of injury should be imposed medical film Polymedel, which allows you to accelerate the process of recovery, restore tissue and improve capillary blood supply in the place of injury. The film is best applied for half an hour any number of times a day.
On the second - third day you need to perform a light massage of the lower leg and toes. After another two to three days, if the swelling and pain syndrome began to pass, you can repeat the massage. If possible, massage should be combined with curative gymnastics: flexion - extension of the toes, rotational movements in the ankle joint.
Five to six days after the injury, you can start using warm baths. For the preparation of trays, you should use a bucket of water and 300 - 400 grams of sea salt or table salt. The optimum water temperature is 37C.The duration of the procedure should be 15-20 minutes.
From the fifth to the sixth day, you can start making half-alcohol compresses for an hour.
With a strong injury, it is necessary to conduct a course of physiotherapy, which includes magnetotherapy, paraffin applications, UHF, electrophoresis with potassium iodide.
Folk recipes for the treatment of ankle bruises
Treatment of ankle bruises based on folk medicine can be effective.
To a place of a bruise it is possible to apply a leaf of a plantain or an interrupted wormwood. It is important to note that after drying wormwood, it should be changed or moistened with plain water.
The first day to the place of injury should be applied cold.
From the fifth to the sixth day, warming compresses can be used. It should be taken into account that compresses from alcohol tinctures are an analgesic, anti-inflammatory, decongestant. For the preparation of compresses, only dilute alcohol can be used, since in this case it will be possible to avoid skin burns.
Complications of an ankle injury
Among complications it should be noted hemarthrosis, synovitis, posttraumatic arthrosis, Zudeck's syndrome.
Hemarthrosis is a collection of blood in the ankle, due to damage to its capsule. If bleeding is severe, puncture, removal of blood from the ankle, sanation of the joint 0.5% or 1% solution of novocaine should be performed.
Synoviitis is an accumulation of exudate in the ankle joint. This complication develops because of the inflammatory process of the inner layer of the capsule. Synoviitis can develop several days after the injury.
Post-traumatic arthrosis develops in a few months - years. The disease develops due to serious damage to the articular cartilage or multiple bruises of the ankle joint.
Syndrome Zudeka is a condition that is characterized by a violation of blood flow, trophic changes in joint tissues, osteoporosis. A person can complain of severe swelling, thin and glossy skin, problems with motor activity. Syndrome Zudeka in most cases develops due to the prolonged immobility of the ankle after injury, in connection with which prolonged immobilization is prohibited and early therapeutic gymnastics is mandatory.
After an ankle injury, consult a traumatologist without fail, and follow all of its recommendations.
Treatment of ankle injuries, ankle bruise - symptoms and rehabilitation
Injuries and bruises of the ankle
- Ankle injury is one of the most common injuries. It is characterized by soreness, the integrity of the skin. The bruise passes quickly if appropriate measures are taken. The main symptoms of ankle bruise are: pain, aggravated by movement, hematoma, lameness and swelling. To exclude more serious consequences of the impact( dislocation, fracture of the ankle), it is recommended to make an x-ray photograph. Treatment of an ankle injury can be carried out at home. To do this, it is necessary to give the foot an elevated position, to impose a fixative bandage, an elastic bandage is ideal for this. The next step in the treatment of a bruised ankle joint is a cold compress. Apply it for 15-20 minutes over the bandage at an interval of 30-40 minutes during the first hours after getting injured;
- Stretching of the ankle joints are common in athletes, but do not refer to serious injuries and, with appropriate treatment, pass quickly. Symptoms: pain when touched, swelling, bruising, bleeding;
- Torn ligament is important to properly cure, otherwise the foot functions may be damaged. Symptoms are the same as with tearing, the only difference is that local pain will increase if you try to unbend the foot;
- The dislocation of the ankle is characterized by sharp pain in any condition, swelling and changes in the configuration of the joint, as its shape is disturbed;
- With a fracture, ankle fracture, it strongly swells, deforms and feels a sharp pain. But the main symptom - the difficulty of movement, and in some cases, complete immobility;
- Suckling and inversion of the foot. With these diseases, the external lateral ligaments are damaged;
- Eversion and pronation become causes of damage to the intercellular and deltoid ligament;
These are the most basic and popular injuries that can occur during active physical exertion or by negligence. Precisely to diagnose if an ankle is damaged, you can only surgeon. This is especially true for serious injuries, for the determination of which it will be necessary to do an x-ray, an arthrography to determine the damage to the ligaments of the joint.
Treatment of the ankleFor any ankle injury, the best decision is to immediately go to the emergency room, especially for fractures, tears and other serious injuries. And such damages as a bruised ankle, sprain, can be cured.
If you feel pain, swelling in the ankle, can not rest on your leg, then you need to remove your shoes, lie down and put your foot on the hill. Attach the ice to the place where you feel pain and swelling. The main thing is to prevent hypothermia, be very careful. The next step is the application of a bandage to the ankle joint. This can be done following the scheme shown in the figure below.
During the next 3-4 days, try not to strain the joint, continue to apply a cold compress. In addition to compresses, such external ointments for the treatment of stretching, such as Troxevasin, Lyoton, heparin ointment, are quite effective. As soon as the pain decreases, start restoring the joint's performance by doing the special exercises presented below. If after a few days the pain does not decrease, then it is necessary to consult a doctor for the provision of professional medical care.
Treatment of an ankle injury
Ankle or ankle is part of the ankle joint. Ankle bruise is most common in sports during a fall, impact with a hard object. Symptoms of an ankle injury are similar to the usual clinical picture, manifested during such trauma: pain, swelling of soft tissues, hemorrhage into soft tissues, formation of a hematoma that changes color( red, blue, green and yellow).
Treatment of an ankle injury should begin with a first aid to the injured person: to ensure peace, apply a pressure bandage, apply a cold compress and, if necessary, give an anesthetic drug. Please note that ankle fracture, tendon rupture can manifest in the same way, to avoid serious consequences, take the injured person to the nearest trauma center. The trauma doctor must conduct a consultation, take an X-ray photograph in two projections to make sure that the ankle injury is treated, rather than muscle rupture or more serious damage.Treat the bruised ankle with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory ointments, gels( Diclofenac, Voltaren).Heparin, Troxevasin is also recommended to prevent blood clotting. After 6-7 days after receiving this damage, perform thermal procedures - hot foot baths with sea salt.
Exercises for restoring ankle functions
- Sit on the floor, keep your hands on the back, pull the socks as far as possible, then try to touch with the thumbs of the floor;
- Standing on a carpet or other soft surface start bending and unbending fingers, thus moving;
- Run for 15-20 minutes. Note that running tiresome on soft cover;
- Stand on one leg for a few seconds, and then for a minute, trying to balance. As soon as you start to get it, try to do a half-squat on one leg;Standing up, lift the socks, making a heel on the heels. Move your hands forward. Roll from the heel to the toe, lowering your hands.
Prevention of ankle injury
To make the ligaments more elastic and prepared for the load, you can also regularly perform the set of exercises described above.
For prevention, an ankle brace, an ankle retainer is also suitable. It is necessary to wear it during sports and with strong physical exertion, it will keep the joint in the correct position.