Drug medication for the calcaneal spur
Heel spur is a common disease of the elderly and younger people, suffering from the consequences of excess weight, sports or wearing high-heeled shoes. Sharp pain in the heel when walking is forced to limit activity.
Patients begin to look for an ointment from the calcaneal spur that best removes soreness. Before the start of therapy, it is necessary to abandon uncomfortable shoes, organize low-calorie unloading days. Have to visit an orthopedist. The expert will check and establish the causes of the disease, pick up the necessary insteps, night orthoses.
Medical treatment of calcaneal spur will not be effective if it is not combined with special exercises for stretching the plantar ligament, with physiotherapy methods.
More details about the complex of exercises and physiotherapeutic methods of treatment can be found in the article "Treating the calcaneal spur without medications".
What can I achieve with treatment?
Pains occur when the ligament is considerably densified, can not be stretched, and on the calcaneus there appear "outgrowths" of the periosteum.
All the applied methods of treatment are aimed at:
- normalization of metabolism in tissues, cessation of ligament fibrosis, additional calcium deposition;
- softening and return elasticity and the ability to stretch well;
- removal of inflammation in surrounding tissues;
- healing of microtraumas and ruptures;
- in the case of surgery - direct elongation by partial dissection of the plantar fascia with the removal of bone deposits.
Means from the heel spur to be selected individually, taking into account the existing concomitant diseases, intensity of pain.
Features of treatment with topical preparations
Local medicines are used in the form of creams, ointments, tinctures for rubbing and compresses. When choosing a drug, the following should be considered:
- when comparing cream and ointment, preference should be given to the ointment form, because it has a higher concentration of the drug;
- to strengthen the local action of medications is recommended before the application to make a warm foot bath and slightly steam up the foot, this improves the permeability of the medicine( it is good to use a bath with food or sea salt, needles);
- will be more effective treatment procedure, if after applying ointment apply compressor paper, cellophane with warm wrapping.
To exclude a possible allergic reaction, you must apply the cream on the inner surface of the forearm and observe for 2 hours. If there is no redness, you can safely use the drug.
Ointments and cream from the heel spur
Effective anti-inflammatory effect is provided when using ointments based on hormones of the adrenal cortex and non-steroidal agents.
- Hydrocortisone ointment has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, it is recommended in the morning and at night( in the evening with a compress).Categorical contraindication: warts, foot fungus, psoriasis. Relative contraindication: cracks, ulcers, skin lesions on the heel. Apply only after healing.
- Indomethacin ointment with a 10% concentration is a non-hormonal agent with anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect.
- Ointment Ibuprofen has the same positive effects and side effects as Indomethacin.
The drug is only used for the prescription of a doctor
The medication is not recommended for long-term use because hydrocortisone is able to block the production of its own hormones. Nonsteroidal agents affect the stomach and intestines. They can be safely used for 2 weeks.
More effective simultaneous phonophoresis with these drugs. Physiotherapy increases the penetration of medicinal components.
Less commonly used for calcaneal spurs are such preparations on an ointment basis, as Diclofenac, Voltaren, Butadion. They are less effective, they are more indicated when joints and spine are affected.
- Cream "Golden mustache" contains extracts of plants( saber, golden mustache, eucalyptus, plantain) on shark fat and corn oil.
- The cream "heel spur" softens the skin on the heels, warms and strengthens the blood supply. Recommended in the initial stage.
- Similar cream "With heel spur" includes clove oil, garlic, pepper and golden mustache. It warms and relieves inflammation.
Creams for long-term treatmentWe also advise: Treatment of plantar fasciitis at home
For long-term therapy, creams and ointments with plant and natural ingredients are suitable. They are recommended to rub in the skin of the heel and arch of the foot 3-4 times a day.
- "Tiger Eye" is based on extracts of horseradish, lilac, burdock, hazel, juniper, bee wax with castor oil.
- "Pjatkashpor" consists of apple cider vinegar, an extract of propolis with oils and medical products.
- The composition of the "Shark Fat", in addition to shark fat, contains honey, propolis, extracts of plantain, eucalyptus, laurel, juniper.
Treatment with blockades
Blockade of calcaneal spur is a surgical procedure. It is performed with strong, pain-free, painful, edema of the foot.
The procedure is painful, despite the additional administration of an anesthetic. The essence of the method: at the most painful point, the surgeon injects one of the strong hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs( Diprospan, Hydrocortisone or Kenalog) with a syringe.
For heel blockades using a special syringe and needle-trocar, puncture requires effort from the physician
The injection should be repeated after 1.5-2 weeks, since the drug is completely absorbed during this time. Diprospan is administered in one syringe with an anesthetic( Lidocaine).The course requires 2-3 injections. Even after the first procedure, the pain is significantly reduced.
Drugs are not recommended for people with such diseases:
- diabetes mellitus,
- mental changes,
- osteoporosis of bones.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used in short courses in the form of tablets and capsules( Ibuprofen, Voltaren-retard, Ketoprofen).Contraindications are the same as those listed above.
The scheme of express therapy
This scheme of treatment is recommended for those who have long worn uncomfortable shoes and felt severe pain in the heel. The authors promise a complete disappearance of the symptoms for a period of up to a week, if the prescriptions are strictly followed.
On the first day - every 2 hours rub in the heel and foot on all sides balm "Golden mustache with a saber" alternately with the drug "Kontratubeks."
From the second day of the procedure, three times a day, alternating these drugs.
Kontratubeks is used by official medicine for the treatment of adhesions, scar deformities on the skin, and increased postoperative scars.
Any doctor will advise not to be limited to using medicines, but at the same time to use effective physiotherapy procedures. Only a comprehensive use of all acceptable methods will get rid of the calcaneal spur.
Modern methods of treatment of heel spurs |Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
Heel spurs ( osteophytes) are spine or beak-shaped bony growths on the plantar calcaneus or near the attachment site of the Achilles tendon. The medical name of the disease is plantar fasciitis . Treatment of calcaneal spur - process is not easy. This pathology is observed in both men and women. The provoking factors are flat feet, various diseases of the spine and excess weight. These same factors impede the process of recovery. This disease significantly reduces the quality of life of the patient, because it requires a certain rhythm of life, often even changes in working conditions, as well as wearing special shoes and constant care of stops.
Heel spur: symptoms and causes
Heel spurs do not always bother patients. Sometimes a person for a long time and does not suspect about his "thorn" on the heel, and learns about it by accident when examining the foot X-ray about another disease or injury. As a rule, the larger the osteophyte, the less discomfort it causes. But the small "thorns" almost always manifest a throbbing pain in the calcaneal region. Often the pains are so severe that the patient can not step on the foot. In the bilateral position, the patients have a characteristic sliding gait, and they are forced to use crutches or walking stick when walking. The skin in the affected area coarsens.
When the process becomes aggravated, edema and reddening of the tissues are noted above the "pinch", which indicates inflammation in the soft tissues.
It is almost impossible to feel the osteophytes in the thickness of the tissue, but they are clearly visible on the roentgenogram in the form of outgrowths and roughnesses against the background of the flat contour of the calcaneus.
The reasons for the appearance of the spurs on the heels of the are varied.
- A significant excess of body weight leads to an inadequate load on the feet.
- Flat feet.
- When wearing tight, uncomfortable shoes, the periosteum of the calcaneus is irritated.
- Exchange disturbances lead to disruption of bone formation( osteogenesis).
- Traumatism of calcaneus.
- Pathology of the vessels of the lower extremities, accompanied by a disturbance of blood circulation in the feet.
- Chronic joint diseases( arthritis, arthrosis).
Video "Heel spur: symptoms and treatment"
Hemangioma of the spine: diagnosis and treatment osteokhondros.ru/Bolezni-kostej
Treating the heel spur medicamentously
For successful treatment of the heel spur, it is recommended, first of all, to eliminate the pressure on the foot. At the same time or limit the time spent on your feet, or in severe cases, appoint bed rest.
For the relief of pain syndrome, medications are used in the form of tablets, ointments and injections. As a rule, these are preparations of the NSAID group: diclofenac, ibuprofen, butadione, flexene and others. Most often, they are rubbed into the affected area in the form of a gel or cream, having carefully heared the heels. Such procedures are usually carried out within one to two weeks before complete stagnation. In this case, the cream should be rubbed into the heel at least three times a day.
No less effective against pain in the heel spur is a patch with anti-inflammatory analgesics and natural extracts. Usually the therapeutic course includes 16 patches, they are glued on the skin over the focus of inflammation for a day. The skin should be clean and dry. Plasters are contraindicated in the presence of intolerance of the components of the active substance( allergies), in the presence of wounds on the skin and for pregnant women.
In case of ineffectiveness of the above described means is performed, the heel spine - is an injection performed at special points around the calcaneus. At the same time, glucocorticoids( hydrocortisone), which have a pronounced anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, are used. Usually 2-3 injections are sufficient to suppress the inflammatory reaction.
It should be remembered that all the above methods only relieve inflammation and stop pain, but osteophytes remain in their place.
Shockwave wave therapy for calcaneal spur
Treatment of calcaneal spur by ultrasound is used in heel spurs therapy recently, but has already proven itself as a highly effective way of suppressing the inflammatory process and normalizing osteogenesis in the calcaneus. The method is based on the action of an ultrasonic wave of a certain frequency on inflamed tissues. In this case, calcium deposits in the calcaneal spur are loosened, which then are washed out with a blood flow. In addition, regenerative processes in the bone tissue are stimulated, against which the inflammatory reaction is suppressed. The pain syndrome after each procedure becomes less and less and completely disappears after a while. If the spur is of small size, then it is completely eliminated.
Contraindications to shock wave therapy include diseases such as heart rhythm disturbances( arrhythmia), low blood pressure, clotting disorders, thrombophlebitis, acute infection, pregnancy and malignant neoplasms, nervous system disorders.
Treating the calcaneal spur with laser
Low-intensity laser therapy is widely used in the treatment of calcaneal spurs. Focused laser radiation stimulates blood circulation in the calcaneus, while anti-inflammatory reactions in the affected area are activated. Even after the first sessions, the pain is significantly reduced. Usually, two courses are prescribed with a break of two weeks, 10 procedures each. During the first course, the heel bone is exposed with a radiation power of 80 mW and a frequency of 50 Hz, in the second course the frequency of the radiation is increased to 80 Hz. In rare cases, the third course of laser therapy is appointed, but already with other parameters: power 90 mW, frequency 600 Hz.
Laser therapy is a method of painless effect on the tissues, with no addiction to the procedure. Laser exposure does not cause allergic reactions and has no side effect, and the effect of it persists for a long time. Contraindications to the application of this method of treatment to date not identified.
The advantages of laser therapy are also the possibility of holding it in an outpatient setting and a quick recovery.
Video "Treating the calcaneal spur with a laser"
read this article
Orthopedic insoles for a calcaneal spur
To discharge the painful foot zone with treatment heel spurs are assigned special orthopedic insoles and heels .These devices not only support the arches of the foot, but also significantly reduce the burden on all joints of the legs and spine.
Insoles are always made to order individually, based on the anatomical features of this patient( weight, height, severity of the disease).They spring during walking, activating the muscles and ligaments of the lower limb and improving blood circulation.
The heel pad is used to prevent tissue traumatization with a "thorn" when walking, it ensures the correct position of the heel in the shoe and reduces the load of the joints. Padded shoes are made of leather, latex or cork. Particularly popular are silicone heels, which with proper care can last a very long time.
Heel spurs treatment with folk remedies
Folk medicine is also known as a cure for the heel spur. This and treatment with iodine, and mashed potatoes with kerosene, and plantain leaf, and many other ways. The effect of many of them is very doubtful. Before using folk remedies, you should still consult a doctor to avoid deterioration.
Methods of treatment of calcaneal spur |Kuban Medical and Technical Laser Center |Laser Surgery Center
Heel spur( or in other words plantar fasciitis ) is a chronic disease. Its characteristic feature is the onset of acute pain in the heel during walking.
Causes of calcaneal spur
This pathology develops for a variety of reasons. Among them: overweight, longitudinal flat feet, metabolic disorders, for example, purines, leading to a disease such as gout, as well as a significant impairment of blood circulation in the lower extremities in patients with poor permeability of blood vessels.
In addition, inflammation of the heel area is due to a number of chronic inflammatory joint diseases: polyarthritis, arthritis, Bekhterev's disease and others. Heel spur occurs mainly in women over 40 years of age. Predisposed to it are also athletes, who for a long time overload the heels.
Clinical symptoms of calcaneal spur
In most cases, patients complain of intense, very sharp pain in the heel while walking. A characteristic symptom of the calcaneal spur is the so-called "starting pain" .Their distinctive feature is occurrence in the morning hours or after a long sitting.
As a rule, during the day, when walking, the pain subsides somewhat. However, by the evening there is a repeated intensification of the pain syndrome. Soreness in the heel appears suddenly, without previous trauma.
Diagnostics of calcaneal spur
It is not difficult to recognize a heel spur. This diagnosis is established on the basis of complaints, examination of the heel and data of the x-ray method of investigation. When you feel the plantar surface of the heel, soreness appears.
In some cases, pain may spread throughout the entire heel. However, most often the pain is of a local nature. The most painful is the central region or the internal surface of the calcaneal region.
X-ray of the foot shows the presence of bone growth along the plantar surface of the calcaneus. This outgrowth has the form of a spine, which is located in the zone of fixation of the plantar aponeurosis.
Sometimes, however, it happens that this "bony spine" is not detected on the X-ray. This happens at an early stage of the disease. In this case, the cause of the pain is not due to the presence of "bone spur", but with inflammatory changes( plantar fasciitis or subclavian bursitis).Blockage of calcaneal spur price
Preparations for calcaneal spur
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
1. This group includes such drugs as Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, Voltaren( Diclofenac), Indomethacin. The therapeutic effect is achieved due to a decrease in the production of inflammatory activators by cells and a decrease in the permeability of the vascular wall, as well as a significant improvement in microcirculation. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect is due to oppression of prostaglandin production and inhibition of cyclooxygenase. The drugs are administered orally from one( Voltaren-retard) to three times a day( Flexen), as well as in the form of ointments and creams, which are applied to the inflammation focus for 2 weeks.
Anti-inflammatory drugs for local effects
2. Dimexide is an excellent medication for the treatment of the heel spur. The basic substance penetrates deeply into the inflammatory focus, relieves pain, improves metabolic processes, which makes it possible to successfully combine the use of the drug with other medicines. In 25-35% solution often add Hydrocortisone, Diclofenac or Novocaine to achieve a rapid therapeutic effect. Used in the form of appliqués. Duration of treatment up to 2 weeks.
3. Hydrocortisone is a drug from the group of glucocorticosteroids, which is used in the form of a cream. It is applied to the affected area with a thin layer 2 times a day. By narrowing the capillary lumen and reducing the inflammatory factor, the painful symptoms quickly disappear, and the patient receives the long-awaited relief. Betamethasol( Diprospan) is a prolonged-release agent that is injected into the inflammatory focus by injection at a dosage of 0.5 ml once a week.
Heel spurs treatment methods
Treatment of calcaneal spurs, in most cases, is conservative and depends on the cause of its occurrence. The spur itself is not necessary to remove. Doctors recommend a set of therapeutic measures, which aims to eliminate inflammation in the calcaneal region.
Popular methods of treatment
Popular folk methods, which have proved themselves in the process of folk treatment, are applications literally from everything that is at hand. In the course are food, vegetable infusions, vegetables, and much more, from which bolts or "kashki" are made, and are applied to the diseased heel.
- Curd .Add several layers of gauze to 50 grams.fresh cottage cheese and apply at night. Repeat the procedure at least 3 times
- Onion .Take a large onion and grate it. The resulting mass is placed in a cellophane bag and lowered there a sick leg. Tie the top with a warm scarf to warm it and leave it overnight. In the morning wipe the leg. Compress to make at least 3-4 times
- Pork fat and chicken egg .100 gr.fat pour 100 gr.vinegar, add 1 egg together with the shell and mix thoroughly. Leave in a dark place for 10 days. Apply the tampon for a few hours. If burning sensation is recommended, discontinue treatment
- Honey and dough .Heat the heel with honey and apply the dough. Wrap up the leg with polyethylene and something warm from above. Walk a few days without taking off the compress. Repeat the procedure at least 4-5 times. Relief comes in a few weeks.
- Medicinal bile .Take 40 gr.animal bile, a little alcohol( 20 g.) and 1 tsp.shampoo. From the mixture, make a compress and attach it to the steamed leg. Tie a bandage around and put on a warm sock. Relief comes after the first procedure
Blockade of calcaneal spur kenagologist - a description of what effect, contraindications
Medicinal blockades with a curative purpose are widely used in many diseases. Heel spurs are no exception. Of course, blockade is not a method of choice and need not be used in patients with calcaneal spurs. But, it should be noted that the blockade with a calcaneal spur is perhaps the fastest method of stopping pain, which allows you, for a long time, and sometimes for good, to forget about heel pain right after the local injection of the drug.
Unpleasant minus of blockades is their soreness. But patients usually agree to suffer a few minutes, then to get rid of the painful, accompanying them in daily life pain. To block the calcaneal spur, most often used drugs such as diprospan and Kenalog.
Kenalog, a glucocorticosteroid hormone obtained synthetically, which is widely used to eliminate inflammatory processes in the tissues, which has the following effects on the process of inflammation:
- It inhibits the movement of leukocytes into the focus of inflammation.
- Reduces the phagocytic( exciting, absorbing) function of macrophages.
- Inhibits( inhibits) the formation of interleukin-1, which is a mediator of inflammation or a participant in the immune response.
- Stabilizes lysosomal membranes or preserves their integrity and impermeability, resulting in a decrease in the number of proteolytic enzymes in the inflammation area.
- Reduces the permeability of capillaries.
- Brakes the formation of antibodies.
Thus, the Kenalog has a pronounced anti-inflammatory, antiallergic and immunosuppressive effects.
Blockage of the calcaneal spur by the Kenalog allows to achieve stunning and quick results, but it is necessary to entrust its implementation to an experienced doctor. Despite the apparent simplicity of the procedure, it requires a lot of experience and accuracy. A heel in the heel is not so easy. For this the doctor, by the method of palpation, chooses the most painful point on the heel. At this point, you need to enter the needle. Usually, the Kenalog solution is mixed in a syringe with an anesthetic solution( lidocaine, novocaine).When performing blockade by the kenologist, any action of the doctor( correctness of administration, depth of administration, place of administration of the drug, etc.) plays an important role, therefore it is better to perform the procedure under ultrasound control. A successfully performed procedure will relieve the patient of the pain permanently or permanently. Sometimes, a re-procedure is required, but more than three procedures are usually not prescribed.
Many patients mistakenly think that if they once tried to treat their spur blockade, then for the rest of their lives they are doomed to this method of treatment, and eventually, it allegedly ceases to be effective. This is completely wrong. And the lack of the effect of treatment, may be due to improper technique of performing the procedure, as well as ignoring the doctor's recommendations after the procedure. It is not enough just to inject the drug into the heel to fight the disease. Heel spur is one of the few diseases when preventive measures need to be carried out throughout life. The foot should be unloaded, otherwise the cured inflammation will reappear.A new look at the treatment of the heel spur How to get rid of heel pain in 2 weeks More. ..
Possible side effects from the prick of the kenologist
Blockage of the calcaneal spur by the canalogist can cause some complications, for example:
- allergic reaction
- formation of a hematoma at the injection site
- infectious complication( suppuration) at the site of injection
- osteoporosis of the calcaneus bone
- necrotizing the tissues at the site of injection
- rupture of the plantar fascia
The most dangerous complication from the use of corticosteroids,the rupture of plantar fascia. Therefore, the doctor making the decision must be aware of these risks. After all, the duration of the effect from injections, despite the speed of arresting pain, has no significant advantages over other methods of treating the calcaneal spur. And the possible risk, from the rupture of the plantar fascia, excludes this method of treatment from first-line therapy.
The procedure for blockade by the kenologist has a number of contraindications. This, above all, individual intolerance and allergic reactions to the drug. Also, the introduction of the kenologist is not indicated in pregnancy, the presence of bone diseases, diabetes, with local inflammatory changes in the skin at the site of the intended introduction of the drug.
Treatment of calcaneal spur( blockade) With a heel spur, a local injection of diprospan or Kenalog, which are powerful anti-inflammatory agents( blockade), is effective. This gives a good, lasting effect. Usually, one to three blockades are performed at intervals of 5-7 days. More on the treatment of calcaneal spurs - http: //www.varikoz.biz/artrology/shpora/
With a heel spur, a local injection of diprospan or Kenalog, which are powerful anti-inflammatory agents( blockade), is effective. This gives a good, lasting effect. Usually, one to three blockades are performed at intervals of 5-7 days. More on the treatment of calcaneal spurs - http: //www.varikoz.biz/artrology/shpora/http: //www.youtube.com/ watch? V = 8-w490wGIfk