How the head aches with osteochondrosis
Many people know about the existence of such a disease as osteochondrosis. And no fewer people, unfortunately, are familiar with this disease personally. For most, osteochondrosis is associated with pain in the back and neck. But other than this, the disease provokes other pain syndromes. The most common headaches occur. Physicians they are well studied, so the following characteristic symptoms can "describe" how the head hurts in osteochondrosis:
- Light aching headache increases with time and becomes lomizing;
- Most often the pain is localized in the occipital part, sometimes accompanied by a sensation of light tingling( paresthesia) in the occiput;
- In contrast to migraine attacks, it has a permanent character;
- Gradually increasing, the pain can be transformed into a "helmet" syndrome;
- Sometimes there are vestibular disorders.
The main causes of headaches
The development of osteochondrosis often causes various disorders in the circulatory system, due to compression of the left and right vertebral arteries. This causes an upset in the blood supply in the brain, which is the main answer to the question of why the head hurts with osteochondrosis.
Presence of headaches in osteochondrosis can be a sign of serious complications of the disease. So to postpone visit to the doctor it is not necessary.In addition, violations of the blood circulation of the brain can trigger a stroke, a violation of blood pressure, which also provokes headaches. Dizziness, hearing and visual impairment may occur. Headaches can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
Headache can accompany a variety of diseases. Therefore, in order to diagnose the cause of the pain, a full medical examination is carried out. It consists in examination of a specialist who, according to the findings, either immediately diagnoses or appoints additional diagnostic methods. It can be an x-ray, a computer tomography or ultrasonic dopplerography.
All these studies are aimed at establishing a correct diagnosis and setting the right course of treatment. As soon as the first symptoms of osteochondrosis of the head appear, you should immediately consult a doctor to confirm or deny the presence of the disease. Only timely diagnosis will help to effectively fight the disease.
To quickly get rid of headaches, prescribe analgesics. For effectiveness, they are taken with antispasmodics. But the medication will only temporarily relieve the pain, but to get rid of it forever, it is necessary to cure the very reason. So the treatment of headaches should begin with the treatment of osteochondrosis. The most common are headaches with osteochondrosis of the cervical region. They appear in the occipital part of the head, and as a result of the slightest movement become much more intense. In sudden movements, dizziness and nausea may occur.
Many patients are wondering why the head is spinning with osteochondrosis. This is due to the fact that the process of blood supply to the cerebellum has been disturbed, and pathological impulses appear in the vestibular apparatus. Vertigo is observed in the morning and with a sudden tilt of the head.
In the presence of pathologies in the cervical region, pain can begin with a feeling of heaviness in the head, which gradually increases and locates in the occipital part.
To treat headaches it is necessary from the beginning of treatment of the most osteochondrosis. As soon as the process of blood circulation is improved and the development of the disease is suspended, pain will also pass. One of the most effective methods to combat headaches and other pain in osteochondrosis is therapeutic gymnastics.
Do exercises in the presence of pain can not. During this period, it is necessary to provide peace for the cervical vertebrae. You can make warming rubbing with ointments to improve blood circulation.
Why does my head hurt with cervical osteochondrosis
Cervical osteochondrosis differs somewhat from the same degenerative dystrophic process, but in the other part of the spine. And this is not about the fact that this is the youngest disease that is being familiarized with practically from the school day. Talk about those peculiar atypical symptoms, which seemingly are not connected with the spine and which at times complicate the diagnostic examination. These include headaches for cervical osteochondrosis .
Headache with cervical osteochondrosis very often does not respond to taking painkillers
Causes of headache in cervical osteochondrosis
When faced with a phenomenon such as headaches with cervical osteochondrosis, which are often called migraine, patients often note the fact that they are not always amenabletreatment. You can drink as many as you want analgesics, but the head does not react at all, or the attack, after a short silence, returns again after a while.
Also note such prerequisites for the appearance of headaches:
- Night and morning hours
- Stress or excitement
- Staying in a poorly ventilated room
To understand how to treat "cervical migraine," you need to understand how the headache arises with cervical osteochondrosis.
We have repeatedly talked about the causes of the disease itself in our articles, but still we have to return to them every time, because the disease can be cured by being armed with knowledge of its true cause.
The stages of the disease
- The initial stage of the disease is the dystrophic changes of the cartilaginous tissues of the intervertebral disc, as a result of which it loses its elasticity and under the influence of loads it begins to break down.
- The central part of the disk, its core, can be forced into the intervertebral space, forming a hernia, and leading to compression of the nervousroots and spinal cord
- In the final stage, there is bone fibrosis - the replacement of cartilaginous cells with harder ones, which expand over time to form an osthe
- eosophytes Sprouts contribute to stenosis of the central, lateral and( in the case of cervical osteochondrosis) canal of the vertebral artery and lead to numerous neurologic systomena
Headaches with various vertebrogenic syndromes
Because of the narrowness of the vertebral canal and the large number of vessels and nerves passing through the neck,cervical osteochondrosis is characterized by the following vertebrogenic syndromes:
- Irritative reflex
- Vertebral artery
Headaches for each of these syndromes are different in character:
Headache in cervical osteochondrosis can be caused by various vertebrogenic syndromes
- in the background of cervicalgia - acute and aching pain
- loss of sensitivity in the parietal and occipital part of the
- In the case of the irrationally reflex :
- , as a result of a spasm of the lower oblique muscle attached to the processes of the vertebrae C1 and C2, it constantly breaks in the nape
- in the occipital muscles appear strands and seals
- pain increases with head movement
- With vertebral artery syndrome :
- Paroxysmal burning pulse in the frontal and temporal part
- The scalp, the points of the vertebral column, the carotid and the eye artery
- In addition,
- vestibular disorders occur
- ischemic attacks( causes - oxygen starvation)
- paracosis( tinnitus) and photopsy( luminous dots, spots and figures in the field
- Myelopathy in cervical osteochondrosis is observed with direct contact of a hernia or osteophytes with vertebral segments of the spinal cord .
- Lermetta cordon pain occurs:
any turn of the neck is accompanied by a pain syndrome similar to an electric discharge coming from the cervical region through the hands in both lower limbs.
- This occurs against the background of pyramidal and cerebellar symptoms:
- Weakness in the muscles of the hands and feet
- Loss of pain and temperaturesensitivity
- Impaired facial sensitivity and loss of corneal reflex( closing of eyelids with irritation of the cornea of the eye)
- Lermetta cordon pain occurs:
- Craniovertebral syndrome occurs when damaged,tumors, congenital anomalies in the vertebrae C1, C2, or the junction between the neck and the skull
- It is accompanied by paroxysmal headaches in the cervico-occipital region, with increased head movements
- This is accompanied by:
- nausea and vomiting
- swaying gait
- increased intracranial pressure(headaches in this case come from the depths outwards and are bursting)
- Craniovertebral syndrome often adjoins such cerebral events as arachnoiditisand hydrocephalus
Treatment of headache with osteochondrosis
It is not always possible to cure the headache with medicines. Everything depends on the nature and origin of the pain syndrome and the stage to which the process of osteochondrosis has entered.
- Nonsteroid painkillers
- Muscle relaxants
- From non-drug methods can be recommended in an inconclusive period:
- physical therapy In muscular spasms( irritative reflex syndrome) anesthesia with NSAIDs will not lead to anything .And can help:
- All the same muscle relaxants( also called muscle spasmolytics)
- Headaches with vertebral artery syndrome can only be stopped by removing the spasm of the artery. This is achieved by:
- The use of vasodilator drugs
- Manual therapy
- It is extremely difficult to eliminate pain in myelopathy or craniovertebral pathologies :
- Medications ease the condition for a short while
- Massage or manual therapy can not be performed with such syndromes
- Sometimes the only way out is surgery
In all cases of exacerbation of head and neck pain associated with osteochondrosis, it is recommended to immobilizecervical collar using Schantz and other neck brace
In acute pain attack cervical degenerative disc disease accompanied by severe headache, recommended wearing neck brace
How to avoid headaches in osteochondrosis
Is it possible to avoid headaches at an osteochondrosis? In most cases, yes, because such phenomena often arise due to established harmful habits and features of modern man :
- Sports neglects
- Nutrition with a predominance of fatty, over-caloric products
- Instability to stresses
- Abuse of alcohol and smoking
In the initial stages of osteochondrosispeople are still able to stop the process and even reverse it .
Osteophytes and canal narrowing are, unfortunately, irreversible. Dissolve the spines and thus expand the spinal space is impossible. In vital cases, you even have to resort to an prompt intervention.
But the spine with its constituent elements( vertebral bodies, joints and discs) is an adaptive and self-compensating mechanism, that a critical situation in which complete immobility arises is actually very rare.
Deformations and curvatures of the spine - this is the protective mechanism that allows him to avoid pain. Rejecting to the side, the reverse pathology, it protects the nerve fibers, plexus, spinal cord from contact with osteophytes or hernias.
We will help our spine in another way: by increasing the intervertebral distance and easing the pressure between all the elements of the spinal column. And this is only possible through strengthening the muscles and ligaments of the spine, which is achieved through a well-chosen set of physical exercises
. Returning to the beginning of the article, you can now reasonably analyze the causes of headache in osteochondrosis and take those measures that are entirely within our power.
Orthopedic pillowcan be a simple protective against a headache in a dream
- Headaches that occur at night or in the morning can be due to pinching of the vertebral artery in a dream or due to a craniovertebral anomaly. To eliminate them, be sure to sleep on the orthopedic pillow
- . If you notice that the head begins to ache more often after some kind of stress, then a sedative can help in this case. Good pharmacy alcoholic tincture from three components( valerian, motherwort and hawthorn) or Novopassit
- is good. Sleep always with an open window, walk more in the open air. This is simply necessary because of the problems of blood supply to the brain with osteochondrosis
- Proper nutrition with the necessary vitamins and trace elements( phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, etc.) will stop the dystrophic process and reduce headaches
- Folk methods of treating osteochondrosis help at times when physicians are powerless
Video: Headache and osteochondrosis
Headaches for osteochondrosis
Headaches for osteochondrosis
When a person is in a long position in one posture, as well as excessive physical exertion caused by heavy lifting or abrupt movements, there is often a sharp pain, which inmedicine is called osteochondrosis.
The process of osteochondrosis is caused by dystrophic changes in the cartilaginous and bone tissue of the spine, that is, the destruction of intervertebral discs. However, pain syndromes can occur not only in the vertebrae or back, but also in the internal organs of man, as well as limbs. And the cause of the headache may also be osteochondrosis.
Osteochondrosis is the cause of headaches
Causes of pain
Headaches in osteochondrosis - a phenomenon quite common and occurs not only in elderly people, but also among young people and even children. It is the osteochondrosis that appears in the cervical vertebrae, which can cause indisposition. Painful sensations appear due to compression of nerve endings, as well as vessels that participate in the process of blood circulation of the body.
In osteochondrosis, the configuration of the channels is disturbed by the displacement of intervertebral discs.
There are certain changes in the body of the disc that help to reduce the size of the gelatinous core, which makes the cartilage itself less elastic. The intervertebral distance decreases, and, consequently, the load increases. Because of this, there is friction between the vertebrae, which contributes to the formation of bone growths and inflammation. As a result, the vessels and nerve fibers are squeezed, and an inflammatory process that triggers the onset of headaches begins.
Symptoms of headaches
There are a number of distinctive features that help to distinguish headaches caused by osteochondrosis from headaches of a different origin. This is very important in order to choose the right treatment and to take preventive measures in time. Let us consider some of these features.
- A sharp headache may appear unexpectedly, for no apparent reason and last for about ten minutes. However, there are times when aching pain lasts a long time.
- If the pain increases with a change in the position of the head and eye movement.
- The intensity of pain is constantly changing.
- The occurrence of headaches is caused by prolonged stay of a person in one position.
- Local pain symptoms in the neck or temples indicate a bad condition of the cervical nerves and vessels.
- Simultaneous occurrence of painful sensations in the head and neck area, which is accompanied by a slight tingling or even numbness.
- If the headache contributes to high blood pressure, insomnia, irritability and nervous tension.
- Dizziness appears, coordination of movement is lost, nausea may appear.
Symptoms of headaches in osteochondrosis, unlike catarrhal symptoms, are not accompanied by a rise in body temperature, in extreme cases, up to 37.5 degrees. Also, this kind of pain does not contribute to rapid heartbeat or sharp painful sensations in the heart. This factor should also be remembered.
Two causes of headache in osteochondrosis - muscle spasm and compression of the artery
Specialists distinguish two main symptoms of headaches caused by osteochondrosis. The first symptom of the disease is muscular spasm, which manifests itself in the form of sharp pain in the cervical spine. Movement of the neck is limited to muscle tension. In this situation, pain can occur in the temples, on the occipital or posterior parietal region. The second symptom is the squeezing of the arteries together with the nerve fibers and, as a result, the occurrence of frequent headaches called migraines.
Treatment and prevention of headaches
For successful and effective treatment, first of all, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the disease. Currently, there are a sufficient number of methods and methods of treatment, beginning with drug treatment and ending with folk remedies.
Treatment of a patient with medications is reduced to the simultaneous use of painkillers and antispasmodics. This makes it possible to remove pain syndromes, spasms and inflammation. For better results, drugs are also prescribed, which improve the work of the blood circulation of the brain, as well as those that have a vasodilator effect. Sometimes chondroprotectors can be used.
For the prevention and prevention of headaches, it is very important to use orthopedic pillows, which can be purchased in specialized stores. A positive result will be given by special massage and physical exercises, which must be performed every day. Correctly selected set of exercises will help to establish the process of blood circulation and will favorably affect the mobility of the vertebrae.
Exercises for the neck with osteochondrosis
Exercise 1. Having adopted a comfortable position, you need to press your forehead against the palm of your hand. Work should only the muscles of the neck, while the palms and the head remain immobile.
Exercise 2. From the same starting position, the head should be tilted forward, and hands put on the back of the head. It is necessary to create pressure of the head on the hands, and hands on the head. In this position, we hold for 10 seconds.
Exercise 3. A hand, throwing over the head, we put on the opposite temple. On inspiration, you need to press your head, overcoming resistance, as if trying to touch the shoulder. Each time, delaying for 5 seconds, continue to perform 4-5 times.
Exercise 4. Perform head rotations at a slow pace, each time lingering at the maximum deviation point.
Exercise 5. At a rapid pace, raise and lower the shoulders, first together, then alternately.
Exercise 6. To perform, you need to raise your arms up and connect your hands over your head. Slowly squeeze the palms, lingering in this position for 10-20 seconds, after which you should relax. The exercise is recommended to be repeated 10 times.
Exercise 7. At a measured pace, without delay, we make head tilts to the right and to the left.
In some cases, physiotherapy-ultrasound, magnetotherapy, electrophoresis, laser therapy, can be effective. Procedures contribute to the removal of the inflammatory process and painful symptoms, as well as improving the general condition of the body.
There are also folk ways of getting rid of headaches caused by osteochondrosis. For example, an ordinary horseradish leaf can eliminate the pain, if it is dipped in boiling water for a few minutes, and then put the compress on the back of the head for several hours.
Another popular method helps to get rid of the pain by using cottage cheese with vinegar. For this, a compress is done: a little cottage cheese with 2-3 drops of vinegar is spread over a napkin or towel. Compress for a better result is recommended to keep 8-10 hours.
Diagnosis of the disease
However, despite the diversity of folk methods of treatment, with frequent occurrence of headaches, it is necessary, as soon as possible, to be examined by a specialist. The doctor, after examining the patient, should determine the cause and place of pain, examining the spine, locating the deformities and locating the affected branches of the nerves.
Radiography as one of the diagnostic methods for
If the headaches are caused by osteochondrosis, then most likely the specialist will prescribe a more thorough examination, make a radiograph of the cervical spine, and also send it to the tomography.
Only timely diagnosis and treatment will be able to completely rid of this disease and give joy, health and longevity.
Video - Headaches with osteochondrosis
Causes of headaches
There are plenty of reasons. If you look at the pathological process that occurs with this disease, you can see this. The spinal column is the skeleton of the human body, it has a unique shape that allows you to maintain balance when walking and running. Flexibility and elasticity of this "design" allows a person to move and keep his body properly. It consists of vertebrae and cartilaginous intervertebral discs, which give a damping effect when moving. With an insufficiently active lifestyle or, conversely, with severe physical work, it is the intervertebral cartilages that are the first to strike. Wearing, they are deformed, lose their flexibility, elasticity and strength, begin to decrease in size.
These changes increase the friction in the intervertebral joints, bone growths, protrusion of the cartilaginous tissues, intervertebral hernias develop.
If you lose your natural shock absorbers, the vertebrae begin to shift and squeeze the roots of the spinal nerve sprouts, their swelling appears, and inflammation begins. This squeezing is manifested by the above symptoms.
When treating dizziness with cervical osteochondrosis, it is important to get rid of the source of the disease.
Thoracic osteochondrosis is most often accompanied by soreness and discomfort in the areas of the chest, back and upper abdomen.
Acupuncture is often used in diseases of the spine, including osteochondrosis.: http: //oporatela.ru/pozvonochnik/osteohondroz/ igloukalyvanie.html
Types of headache
Headaches with osteochondrosis are of different nature and can last for different times:
- permanent pain that can last for 5-8 hours;
- paroxysmal pain, they can occur unexpectedly and quickly pass for a period;
- intense and severe pain, worse with head or eyes;
- pain, the concentration of which is felt in the temporal region and in the occiput, can gradually cover the entire head;
- occurs only in the morning, from the uncomfortable location of the neck during sleep, this pain becomes stronger with various movements of the head;
- pain starting in the cervical region, passing to the head region, accompanied by nausea, vomiting, numbness of the hands and facial areas;
- pain in one part of the head can be caused by damage to the vertebral nerve process. They are manifested by attacks, begin with the occipital part of the head, moving to other areas, can last several hours;
- disturbed blood circulation in case of a lack of supply of cerebral vessels in case of osteochondrosis causes sharp head pains that last 30-40 minutes, they are accompanied by chills, pain in the heart, pale skin, cold sweating, a feeling of panic and fear. This kind of head pain is defined as a diencephalic syndrome.
Removing a headache
If the cause of pain in the head is in the anomaly of the spine, it can not be cured - should start with the reasons for its appearance, ie.with the treatment of osteochondrosis, or rather - with the suspension of its further development. The resulting headache can be removed for a short time.
Initially, needs to attempt to relieve the pain, by applying warming ointments. They activate blood circulation in the neck muscles and relieve pain.
After the procedure with warming ointment, the patient needs to ensure the rest of , bed rest is shown in a comfortable position.
If analgesics are not contraindicated, they can be used together with medications, , which relieve spasms of in muscles and with drugs that activate cerebral circulation. They help to get rid of painful manifestations.
Since the cause of pain is osteochondrosis, therefore should begin treatment with .Of course, it is necessary to receive appointments from a specialist doctor, since amateur performance in this case can be dangerous.
A physician can prescribe injections as well as drugs in tablets to restore the general normal state. The patient must necessarily undergo a course of treatment in order to achieve positive results.
Usually a complex of medicines consists of analgesics, decongestants, anti-inflammatory, sedative, relaxing drugs. What exactly means will suit the patient , their norm and concentration of solutions can be determined and appointed only by the attending physician.
can also be prescribed for external use of - pain relievers, anti-inflammatory warming ointments and gels.
For the normalization of the condition, vitamins of the B group are required, as well as the complex reception of trace elements - magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, etc.
Has it been shot? Can not you straighten out? How to treat sciatica? Medication or folk remedies?
Hemangioma of the spine, usually has a genetic soil formation. Learn more about this tumor, in order to prevent its development.
All about dorsopathy of the cervical department you will find on the link: http: //oporatela.ru/pozvonochnik/dorsopatiya/ shejnogo-otdela-prichiny-simptomy-lechenie-dors.html
Physiotherapy is one of the main means for stabilizing the condition with osteochondrosis. After using it, you can forget about the existence of the disease for several years.
Most often, osteochondrosis occurs as a result of a sedentary lifestyle, which means that gymnastic exercises, which are desirable to be performed daily, will be a remarkable preventive measure of this disease. For the mobility of the vertebrae, strengthening the muscles, improving blood circulation and facilitating movement in the cervical region, several simple exercises of curative gymnastics will help.
Complex of exercises
- Put a hand to the forehead, and with your head press firmly on the palm of your hand. Within 8-10 seconds strain the muscles of the neck. Repeat the exercise 3-4 times. Do the same with the palm and the back of the head.
- Throw a hand over your head to the temple, inhale and, through resistance, press your head against your arm, trying to bend over to the shoulder. Soak for 5 seconds, slowly lower. Repeat 4-5 times.
- Slowly tilt your head from side to side.
- Quickly and vigorously lift your shoulders alternately, then at the same time.
If therapeutic gymnastics will be performed regularly, mobility of the vertebrae of the neck and circulation will be greatly improved. Circular motion should not be performed, as this can aggravate the disease. Note that the intensity of movement at the slightest painful sensations should be reduced.
Diet for osteochondrosis
Diet of the patient with osteochondrosis restricts salted and sharp foods, the use of strong coffee and tea. Banned carbonated drinks, sweet foods, baked goods, canned food, mayonnaise. These products carry one harm in themselves. It is better to pay attention to healthy healthy food in the diet. Eat more foods that contain:
- calcium( in dairy products);
- iron, copper( liver, meat, nuts, seeds);
- vitamins A, B, C( in whole grains, greens, vegetables and fruits).
Prevention of osteochondrosis
The best and most effective means is the prevention of the disease. In order to prevent osteochondrosis, it is necessary:
- to consume foods in which there are many vitamins, calcium and magnesium;
- engaged in swimming, various sports;
- not to allow excess weight;
- not to carry a load on one shoulder, evenly distributing the load;
- spending time on the computer to monitor the position of the body.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis with folk remedies
You can use folk remedies for the diagnosis of cervical osteochondrosis. The original method of determining the cervical osteochondrosis: take a 10% solution of iodine alcohol and lemon juice. Iodine solution and juice are mixed in equal proportions, a mixture is applied to a sick area of about 6 cm in width. After a couple of hours in the diseased areas of the skin, the lemon-iodine band will lose color, which indicates a problem in this place.
To treat a diseased site it is possible to with the same mixture, spreading it on a problem site. This is done every day until the color on the skin does not remain the same for several more days. Treatment is useful to combine with therapeutic gymnastics. But it should be canceled if there is a high temperature or there is intolerance to iodine.
horseradish will help to cope with painful sensations, the leaf of which for a couple of minutes should be lowered into boiling water, then applied to the back of neck or neck. Such a compress can be kept all night. Similarly, a compress of cottage cheese and a few drops of vinegar is kept.
Infusion of lemon and garlic also alleviates the suffering of the patient. Three lemons grind and mix with 150 grams of crushed garlic. Pour gruel with boiling water and insist. A solution of drinking 100 ml once a day.
For domestic use, folk medicine also offers miraculous herbal decoctions, the action of which removes swelling and inflammatory processes:
- goat willow( 50 g of bark);
- leaves of birch( 40 g);
- buckthorn( 10 g of grass).
Grind and mix bark, leaves and grass.2 tbsp.l.this mixture pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Infuse 1 hour, strain. Two times a day, take a decoction of 1 glass.
The following recipe is prepared exactly the same way, only the grass is taken in one piece:
- of red elderberry flowers;
- lime flowers;
- of St. John's Wort.
Very popular tinctures on alcohol, because they act much faster than decoctions. They are also very convenient to store and receive. For example, cedar tincture .For its preparation, cedar nuts are pounded along with the shell, then poured vodka 4 fingers higher than the level of pine nuts. This mixture is infused for 7 days in a dark place. Next tincture is left to drain and take 1 tbsp.l.3 times a day.
You can also use cedar nut shells.200 grams of shell powder into powder, pour 1 liter of vodka, insist 1 month. Strain and consume 30 grams 30 minutes before eating on an empty stomach.
Unusual ways of
Sometimes you can find a few unusual ways, relieving the patient of osteochondrosis. For example, one girl helped rubbing with leaves of Indian onions. Some even use a shovel from a garden shovel, which is rolled up and down about 50 times. According to the cured, this procedure should be done every day. In this case, these rolls are similar to self-massage, so it is not surprising that the procedures are successful.
Self-massage for this disease
- For warm-up - hand movements round the shoulder girdle and neck;
- Stroking the neck and neck;
- Raziranie neck from top to bottom;
- Pat snapping in the cervical region and shoulder girdle;
- Final stroking.
If you treat during periods of exacerbation and for prevention, when there are no symptoms of the disease, then you can completely get rid of this unpleasant disease and forget about the pain forever.Ratings: 8 .Article Rank: 5.00 of 5Loading. ..
Headache with cervical osteochondrosis, as a rule, is localized in the occipital region and can extend to the temporo-orbital region of the head. It can occur spontaneously or be of chronic chronicity.
Most often, patients with this pathology complain of restriction of movement in the cervical spine, stiffness of the neck muscles and shoulder girdle. Pain can begin without a visible cause, but is often provoked by mechanical factors. She is preceded by a dream in an uncomfortable position on a too high cushion, prolonged physical overstrain, excessive stress on the cervical spine. It is not uncommon for pain to arise when a patient coughs or sneezes.In severe cases, a patient in parallel with a headache may experience numbness in the hands, tingling, decreased mobility of the hand and even loss of function of the fingers. These symptoms by themselves do not have a normal life activity of a person, but they are a signal about the presence of an osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
What causes headaches for osteochondrosis
The cervical spine differs from lumbar and thoracic in that there are a lot of blood vessels and nerve endings in a small area. The vertebrae of the cervical region are smaller, the vertebral canal in them is much narrower, and the load on this area is quite high. Hence the slightest change in the structure of the vertebrae, the displacement of the disc or the formation of outgrowth causes pain syndrome.
Changes in the structure of bone and cartilaginous tissues of the cervical spine almost always affect the conductivity of the vertebral artery, the main task of which is nutrition and supply of oxygen to the brain cells. It is because of the violation of this function in osteochondrosis of the neck that a frequent syndrome is a headache. It is caused by a decrease in blood flow and an increase in intracranial pressure.
If in time not to pay attention to the diagnosis and treatment of cervical osteochondrosis, then cerebral vascular insufficiency becomes chronic. The brain regularly receives less oxygen and nutrition and develops hypertension, vegetative-vascular dystonia, fainting occurs, and signs of dementia appear.
What is typical for a headache with osteochondrosis
For this type of headaches there is a name - cranialgia. What are they characterized by, and by what signs this disease can be identified? For cranialgia, the following symptoms are typical:
- attacks of sharp pains , which can last from tens of minutes, to several hours. In neglected cases they are chronic and do not be removed with anesthetics;
- the intensity of pain increases with head and eye movements;
- pains are localized most often in the occipital and temporal regions;
- is often troubled by pain in the shoulders of , numbness of the upper limbs, decreased hearing and noise, dizziness and nausea;
- exacerbation occurs after sleep, and pains increase with head movement.
If the headache is accompanied by an increase in temperature, its intensity increases gradually or there is vomiting, after which the pains decrease, then the diagnosis of "cranialgia" is not appropriate here. With questions: "Than and how to treat an osteochondrosis?" It is necessary to address to the doctor.
Treatment of headache with cervical osteochondrosis
The most important in the treatment of headache caused by osteochondrosis, to eliminate the cause of the disease. Therapy should be aimed at solving several problems simultaneously:
- pain relief;
- gradual restoration of the functions of damaged areas;
- relapse prevention.
With cranialgia, you can take handfuls of anesthetics, but the pain does not go away. The patient should be aware that the symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis are removed only with the complex application of antispasmodics, analgesic and vasodilating drugs. Only such an approach will help relax the muscles, improve the blood supply to the brain and, consequently, relieve the headache.
The patient needs absolute rest during treatment. Orthopedic pillow will help keep the neck and head in a comfortable position.
Massage of the collar zone
Noise in the head with cervical osteochondrosis is removed by massage of the collar zone and head. Concomitant symptoms, such as high blood pressure, heart pain and others, are eliminated by taking appropriate medications as prescribed by your doctor.
In the acute period, the patient needs to undergo treatment for osteochondrosis. The complex should include medical treatment, massage, manual procedures. Physiotherapists for the treatment of cranialgia recommend electrophoresis, ozocerite, magnetotherapy and therapeutic baths.
Warming compresses and ointments will restore metabolism in affected areas and accelerate regeneration. The intake of vitamins and microelements will strengthen the entire body and fill the supply of missing substances. Particularly recommended in this case are vitamins of group B, preparations of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus.
Therapeutic gymnastics is the best method for treating osteochondrosis
How to get rid of a headache with cervical osteochondrosis forever? To do this, you must follow the basic rules:
- use an orthopedic pillow and a mattress;
- do not allow increased strain on the spine( especially its diseased department);
- daily perform simple gymnastic exercises.
Therapeutic gymnastics is a panacea, especially in the treatment of spine pathologies. It performs several tasks simultaneously: it improves blood circulation, develops mobility and strengthens muscles. All this contributes to better circulation of blood, which means removal of edema, elimination of toxins, improved nutrition of tissues, normalization of metabolism. The muscular corset is strengthened and the load on the disks and vertebrae decreases, which means that their deformation is reduced.
No drug or procedure can give such results as a correct set of exercises that is performed regularly.
It should be noted that any medicine can be harmful if used incorrectly. So is physical education. Failure to comply with the basic rules of the exercises can lead to irreversible changes in the cervical spine.
Here are the main postulates for practicing exercise:
- No sudden movements.
- Do not overdo it. Do the exercises to a sense of easy fatigue.
- At the slightest pain or discomfort, you need to stop, take a breather and reduce the intensity of the exercises.
- Do gymnastics regularly. Only in this case you will get a steady effect and avoid relapse.
Cervical osteochondrosis is not as harmless as many people think. It is expressed not only by an unpleasant crunch and pains, but negatively affects many functions of the body. Physical activity, proper posture and balanced nutrition will help to avoid getting to know a neuropathologist.