Treatment and Symptoms of Sciatic Nerve Inflammation
When a person develops sciatic nerve, treatment prescribed by a qualified neurologist will help not only to alleviate the patient's condition, but also to prevent relapse of the disease in the future.
In this case, every person who has had to face sciatica nerve, should know that only complex therapy that includes medications( in the acute phase of the disease), physiotherapy treatment, manual therapy, therapeutic physical culture will be effective.
What is the cause of sciatica?The most common cause of sciatica( sciatica) inflammation is a pathological process localized in the lumbar and sacral segment of the spine. Most often, the cause of sciatica becomes complicated osteochondrosis, much less often - trauma and inflammatory diseases of the joints. The main symptom of the disease is a sharp and intolerable pain, each patient describing his feelings in completely different ways, the pain occurs at the time of physical exertion and is amplified in any situations that provoke spasm or stretching of the muscles of the lumbosacral region.
In some cases, treatment of sciatica is required for patients who have benign and malignant neoplasms at any point in the passage of the nerve, circulatory disorders( arterial and venous thromboses) located in the small pelvis.
How can I cure sciatica?
By the way, if you want to get the step-by-step plan for the treatment of a pinch of the sciatic nerve, then go right now to this page.
Very often, pain occurs in people who have had to perform an unusual amount of physical activity for them( digging up the earth, carrying weights) - usually manifestations of the disease in this case appear in a few hours.
In those cases when sciatica develops against the backdrop of osteochondrosis of the lumbosacral segment of the spine, any unintended movement can provoke an exacerbation of the disease. Pain with sciatica nerve inflammation always spreads along the course of the location of its branches. Patients complain of unpleasant sensations in the area of the waist and sacrum, buttock, hamstring, shin or foot. When sensitive fibers are affected, numbness of the skin or pathological reactions to any stimuli occurs, whereas in the defeat of motor fibers, muscle weakness and atrophy of the muscles innervated by the nerve may occur.
Special attention deserves the appearance of symptoms of sciatica nerve inflammation in patients with diabetes mellitus - patients note a change in the intensity of pain spreading along the nerve, depending on the effectiveness of the treatment.
That's why, if there are signs of the disease and there are no visible causes that can cause nerve damage, it is necessary not only to treat the sciatica inflammation, but also an in-depth examination of the patient to exclude diabetic polyneuropathy.
To clarify the diagnosis, a comprehensive examination of the patient is necessary - it must include:
- methods of clinical and biochemical laboratory diagnostics;
- examination of a neurologist, and if necessary - a vertebrologist, rheumatologist and vascular surgeon;
- performing X-ray images of the spine in several projections( always in the supine and standing position);
- tomographic studies.
It should be noted that if there is a marked exacerbation of sciatica nerve inflammation, the treatment and examination of the patient should be carried out simultaneously.
Treatment program for sciatica
The treatment program must include medications, physiotherapy, physiotherapy exercises, but in each case complex therapy should be prescribed for the patient individually.
You can achieve a lasting effect in the treatment of sciatica and associated osteochondrosis. For this, there are the most modern methods of treatment:
- Khivamat( pain passes for 2 sessions)
- Ozokerite application
- Electrophoresis( but only by Ionoson device)
One of the main components of the treatment is the creation of a medical-protective regime for the patient. The patient should lie on a rigid bed, the possibility of movement is recommended to limit to the abatement of bright signs of inflammation. It shows the observance of bed rest until the condition is improved and pain syndrome is eliminated.
In those cases when sciatica nerve inflammation requires medical treatment, its program practically does not differ from radiculitis therapy( inflammation of the roots of the nerves), departing from other segments of the spinal cord. Medical treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation provides for local and systemic administration of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, vitamin complexes, but its duration should not be unreasonably prolonged.
When prescribing drugs for local treatment, preference should be given to stimulant drugs - they not only reduce the severity of pain, but also contribute to reducing the severity of the spastic syndrome. Nevertheless, any such medicines should be applied only to the intact skin of the lumbosacral area - it is important to remember that most of these ointments contain poisonous substances( bee and snake venom).
Physiotherapy in the treatment of symptoms of sciatica nerve
Patients who are prescribed physiotherapy for the treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation are overwhelmingly recovered in the vast majority of cases rather than completely rejecting the use of electrophoresis, phonophoresis, warming, compressions. It should be remembered that during most physiotherapy, the patient can be injected with medications that accelerate the recovery of injured nerve fibers - anti-inflammatory drugs, antispasmodics and muscle relaxants, vitamins. In this case, the effectiveness of the prescribed treatment increases several times, and the dose of drugs entering the patient's body is several times less than with the medical treatment of sciatica.
Exercise for the treatment of the sciatic nerve
In those cases where after the examination of the patient it is possible to establish the exact cause, the effect of which triggered the development of sciatica, it is possible to prescribe therapeutic physical training. It should be remembered that the set of exercises for each patient should be selected individually. In the first days after the inflammation of the sciatic nerve, the volume of movements should be minimal and all exercises should be performed in a horizontal position( in bed).
As the condition improves, the volume of movements in the lumbosacral segment of the spine may increase, but the load should increase gradually - in some cases, exercises in the pool are shown( in the aquatic environment, the body should not spend additional muscle strength to compensate for the law of gravity, therefore the sciatic nerveexperiences less load when driving actively).
It is important not to forget that any motor activity to the patient is contraindicated in the case when the connection of sciatica nerve and pathology of intervertebral discs is established - active movements can aggravate the protrusion of the disc or increase the manifestation of the phenomena of retroolisthesis in the lumbosacral segment.
Surgery on the sciatic nerve is necessary in those cases when the disease is accompanied not only by a persistent pain syndrome, but also by a serious disorder of the functions of the pelvic organs. It is proved that in the detection of the pathology of the intervertebral disc the most effective are the modern microsurgical interventions - microdiscectomy, carried out with the help of special optical fiber equipment and instruments.
Video: what to do if the pain "shoots"?
Prevention of disease
Doctors-neurologists and vertebrologists who have to treat patients suffering from sciatica inflammation do not tire of repeating - timely prevention of sciatica helps prevent 80% of exacerbations of .That is why it is important to timely identify and begin treatment of pathological processes, the main complication of which can be damage and inflammation of sciatic nerve fibers - osteochondrosis, traumatic spine injuries, tumor processes affecting the nerve fibers.
Medication for sciatica nerve inflammation
A health disorder is always unpleasant, doubly unpleasant if accompanied by painful pain. Sciatica refers specifically to such pathologies. To remove the symptoms of inflammation and to correct the situation can only complex therapy, which includes physiotherapy treatment and a set of special exercises. However, in an acute period, medication is inevitable. Let's consider its basic principles.
A bit of anatomy
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the human body. Starting from the sacral nerve plexus, it descends from the buttocks on the posterior surface of the legs approximately to the level of the shank, where it splits into two smaller branches. Inflammation of the sciatic nerve, which in medicine was called sciatica, is accompanied by characteristic pain along the nerve. Neuralgia of the sciatic nerve, sciatica is not a separate disease. This is a symptomatic complex that accompanies many pathologies of the spine.
Causes and factors of sciatica development
Inflammation of the sciatic nerve can cause both various pathologies of the spinal column and diseases of the internal organs, in particular, of the pelvic organs. Most often, sciatica is a consequence of the following diseases:
- osteochondrosis, osteoarthritis of intervertebral joints - with these pathologies on the vertebrae, bony outgrowths( osteophytes) are formed, which compress the nerve, provoking the inflammatory process;
- intervertebral hernia - pinching roots, forming the nerve, occurs due to hernial protrusion;
- pear-shaped muscle syndrome, other tunneling neuropathies;
- infectious processes - the nerve becomes inflamed as a result of toxins in diseases such as tuberculosis, syphilis, typhoid, malaria, generalized sepsis;
- intoxication of the body - sciatica can be a consequence of both external influences( alcohol, poisoning with poisons), and damage to substances produced in the body( with gout, diabetes).
Often the factor that provoked sciatica inflammation is hypothermia. Under the influence of low temperatures, the body's defenses are weakened, the symptoms of inflammation gain strength.
The main symptom of pinch of the sciatic nerve is pain along the nerve fibers. Symptoms of the lesion are reduced to the pain in the lower back, which descends to the buttocks and further - along the back of the thigh and lower leg to the foot. Neuralgia is usually one-sided, but it can also capture both limbs. Painful symptoms are sharp, shooting character, amplifying at movement or loading. A characteristic feature of sciatica is the symptoms of tension: the pain is sharply increased by flexing the affected limb in the pelvic joint, tilting the head or torso forward.
Other neurological signs are noted:
- burning, numbness or "goose bumps" on the skin on the back of the foot;
- reduced sensitivity;Gait of gait.
All these signs allow you to easily identify the problem. Despite this, a neurologist should diagnose and prescribe the treatment. After all, depending on the cause that caused the sciatica inflammation, the therapy regimens can differ significantly from each other.
Sciatica today is a well-studied pathology, the scheme of its treatment has already been worked out. It includes not only medicamental, but also manual therapy, osteopathy, physiotherapy, special complexes of physiotherapy exercises and other methods of treatment. The main goal of therapeutic measures is to stop the pain syndrome and reduce inflammation.
As a rule, for this purpose, mainly preparations for intramuscular or intravenous administration are used. Tablets with pinch of the sciatic nerve are almost not used, because the symptoms are too intense. In some cases, it is necessary to treat by injecting the drug into the spinal canal.
Treatment of pinch of the sciatic nerve involves the use of several groups of drugs.
In order to treat sciatica, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are most often used. The advantage of the preparations of this pharmacological group is the ability to block prostaglandins as the main mediators of the inflammatory process. In addition, they do not cause permanent addiction, which makes it possible to treat them with a sufficiently long time, without fear of dependence. At the moment, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are quite widely represented in pharmacy chains. There you can find both prescription drugs, and available on a free sale. The most commonly used medicines are:
- Ketonal, Ketanov( Ketoprofen) - available in ampoules, capsules, tablets, suppositories and as ointments, with sciatica most often used intramuscularly( up to three times a day2 ml), but the symptoms are well removed and topical application( ointment);
- "Piroxicam" - is issued in the form of a solution( ampoules of 1-2 ml), tablets, suppositories, gel, cream, can be applied either locally or injectively - 1-2 ml once a day to relieve acute pain;
- "Meloksikam"( "Movalis", "Ameloteks") - is produced in tableted and injectable forms, is one of the safest preparations of the NSAID group;
- "Nimesulide"( "Nyz", "Nimesil") - is available in the form of powders, tablets, capsules. The usual dosage of 100 mg per day, in the first days may increase to 200 mg;
- "Celebrex" capsules, the recommended daily dose is up to 200 mg, but with severe pain it can be increased to 400-600 mg in the first dose, followed by a dose reduction of up to 200 mg.
Drugs NSAIDs are plentiful, but despite availability, prescribe them and treat pinching of the sciatic nerve is needed under the guidance of a doctor.
Side effects and contraindications NSAIDs
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the case of their long or uncontrolled use can give a variety of side effects. In the first place, the gastrointestinal tract suffers. The risk of developing gastric ulcer and gastric bleeding increases. Taking medications together with food slightly reduces the possibility of such complications, but also reduces the effectiveness of the drug. The following complications are also possible:
- pressure increase;
- disorders in the work of the kidneys( edema);
Do not use NSAID drugs in conjunction with blood thinners, this increases the risk of bleeding.
According to the research, the appointment of B vitamins together with NSAIDs significantly reduces the duration of the pain period. With sciatica, as well as with other neuritis, vitamins B1, B6 play an important role. Usually appointed intramuscularly for 1-2 ml( the dosage should be determined by the doctor).
As a rule, they start to be applied, if non-steroid preparations could not remove the symptoms of inflammation. Most often, in order to treat pinching of the nerve, the following drugs are used:
Drugs do not have an analgesic effect, but quickly relieve inflammation and reduce swelling of the tissues, thereby reducing pain. In this case, often there is a need for the administration of a drug substance in tissues located around the pinching of the nerve, or epidurally. This procedure is called blockade and is performed only by experienced doctors.
Side effects of
The need for long-term treatment with steroid medications can also have a side effect. It usually consists of the following:
- increase in body weight;
- risk of developing a stomach ulcer;
- increase in blood coagulation.
In case of intolerable pain, pain medication can be prescribed. These include Vicodin, Morfine, Percadon, Catadolon, and Tramadol. They do not reduce inflammation, but alleviate the patient's condition by reducing pain. These substances are narcotic and are subject to strict accounting, they can not be purchased without a doctor's prescription.
Centralized muscle relaxants
This group of drugs is aimed at arresting muscle spasm in the inflammatory zone, and also has a central analgesic effect. Miorelaxants are prescribed together with NSAIDs and preference is given to the following drugs:
In order to treat sciatica inflammation, one medication is not enough. Methods of physiotherapy begin to apply when the acute stage has already passed. The principle of their action is based on the fact that, acting on the inflammation focus, they remove the edema and improve the blood circulation of the affected area, thereby reducing the intensity of pain. In sciatica, the following procedures may be prescribed:
- electrophoresis or phonophoresis with various medicinal substances;
- paraffin applications.
Massage and physiotherapy are effective in pinching the sciatic nerve.
Treatment of pinch of the sciatic nerve is not only in drug therapy and physiotherapy. Excellent results can be achieved using a method such as treatment with leeches. Their saliva, which contains a large number of biologically active substances, has a positive effect on the inflamed nerve. In a secret that secrete leeches, in addition to hirudin, which dilutes the blood and prevents the formation of blood clots, there are substances that break down the products produced during inflammation of the tissues. In addition, saliva leech has the ability to dilate blood vessels.
This promotes increased blood supply in the area where the inflamed nerve is, providing tissues with adequate nutrition. Leeches help relieve pain, reduce inflammation. In addition, the secret of the leech has not only a local, but also a general effect on the body. Under its influence, the walls of the vessels are cleared of cholesterol plaques, immunity is strengthened. Saliva leech also has an anti-edematic effect, which also helps to reduce pain syndrome.
To affect the affected sciatic nerve, six leeches will be required. On the leg leeches are installed in the following sequence: on the back surface, the first - 3 cm below the popliteal fossa along the middle line of the foot, the second and third set under it with an interval of 3 cm. The second leg of leeches are installed the same way.
Criteria for the effectiveness of treatment and prevention of exacerbations
Criteria showing the effectiveness of treatment, is the decrease in intensity, and then the disappearance of the pain syndrome, reducing neurological symptoms.
In order for neuralgia of the sciatic nerve to not repeat itself and the treatment should not be repeated again, several simple rules must be observed. First of all, it is worth paying attention to your bed. The mattress should not be too soft or hard. Do not over-strain, but forget about the feasible exercise can not. When working with a long stay in a sitting position, it is important to properly allocate time for outdoor activities, as well as use high-quality office furniture, if necessary - orthopedic corsets.
- Celecoxib, etorikoksib, meloxicam and nimesulide: advantages and disadvantages. D.M.N.A.E.Karateev."EF.Rheumatology. Traumatology. Orthopedics. »» »1/2011
- Neuropathy of the sciatic nerve. Pear-shaped muscle syndrome. M.V.Putilina. Journal of the attending physician, 02/06;
- Diclofenac in the treatment of pain syndromes. A.B.Danilov, Magazine attending physician, 05/09.
Sciatica. Symptoms of sciatica. Effective treatment of sciatica with medical plaster NANOPLAST forte
What is sciatica
Ishias ( from the Greek ischias - seated area,) is a disease associated with a pinch and inflammation of the sciatic nerve in the lumbosacral spine. Other names of this disease are lumbosacral radiculitis or sciatic nerve neuralgia.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the body. It originates in the lower back from the nerve roots of the lumbar spinal cord and passes through the gluteal region along the entire lower limb.
An attack of sciatica is usually caused by the lesion of one or more roots of the lumbosacral spinal cord. But also the syndrome of ischialgia can be caused by a pinch of the sciatic nerve as a result of muscle spasm.
Symptoms of sciatica
Clinical symptoms of sciatica are different. This can be a sharp shooting pain from the waist to the buttock and further down the back side of the limb. Often observed:
- acute pain in the buttocks, which increases with sitting;
- pain of shooting character, arising when trying to stand up;
- numbness or weakness in the leg;
- acute pain when walking or bending the body.
In sciatica, the pain in the buttock and the back of the thigh, often giving up the shin and foot, is more pronounced than the back pain.
Other symptoms of sciatica are pain in the leg in the form of burning, tingling, numbness or "goose bumps".
Most often, only one limb is affected in sciatica, but there are times when the patient experiences pain in both legs.
Pain in sciatica is usually not as sharp as with lumbago. In the initial stages of the disease, symptoms of sciatica may not be very pronounced. But in neglected cases, there are such bouts of pain that the patient can not only walk, but even stand and sit, and sometimes the pain does not subside, even when lying down and do not allow to fall asleep.
Causes of sciatica
The immediate cause of sciatica is irritation or infringement of the sciatic nerve or nerve roots that form it. But the reasons for this irritation can be different.
The most common cause of sciatica is a hernia of the intervertebral disc, which compresses the roots of the sciatic nerve. Also, the irritation of the nerve roots can be caused by osteophytes - bone formations on the joints of the spine, arising from osteochondrosis or spondyloarthrosis.
To infringe or squeeze the nerve roots forming the sciatic nerve, can lead to spondylolisthesis( displacement of one vertebra in relation to the other), as well as inflammation and spasm of the lumbar or gluteus muscles( usually pear-shaped muscles).
Causes of sciatica attacks can also be traumas( including birth defects), tumors, internal bleeding, diabetes, infectious or gynecological diseases. Therefore, if the symptoms of sciatica are acute, or worried for a long time, you need to see a doctor and get a checkup to properly diagnose the disease.
Clinical picture of sciatica
Most often, the development of sciatica occurs gradually. At the beginning of the disease, there are minor pains in the lumbar spine and( or) in the buttocks, as well as a feeling of fatigue and aching in the legs. But often these symptoms - pain in the lower back, in the buttocks, fatigue and tension in the legs - are considered overwork.
In the future, discomfort can become more prolonged and intense. But often the sciatica in the initial stage lasts a long enough time( up to several years) until a serious aggravation causes any external cause, at times quite harmless - a leap, a sharp turn, a fall, a lifting of weights, or a banal hypothermia. It is with this cause that patients associate the onset of the disease, forgetting about the first symptoms left undetected.
Diagnosis of sciatica
Diagnosis of sciatica is based on examination and medical history. To determine the causes of ischialgia, if necessary, using fluoroscopy, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, electromyography.
Treatment of sciatica
In the treatment of sciatica, it is primarily important to minimize movement in the diseased limb in order to reduce the irritation of the nerve roots. Relaxation is recommended, the bed should be level, legs are bent at the knee and hip joint and slightly elevated( you need to choose a comfortable pose).
In order to relieve pain and inflammation, as well as muscle spasms, use analgesics, NSAIDs, antispasmodics. Appoint warming and painkillers ointments and gels. Further it is recommended physiotherapy, acupuncture, massage and exercise therapy.
However, modern medicine can offer an effective and safe treatment that can significantly enhance the effect of traditional medicines, and in some cases completely refuse from unsafe drugs. This is a therapeutic anti-inflammatory anesthetic plaster NANOPLAST forte.
Treatment of sciatica with a therapeutic anti-inflammatory analgesic plaster NANOPLAST forte
In the treatment of sciatica, the medical plaster NANOPLAST forte showed high efficiency. The use of this drug can quickly improve the patient's condition - reduce pain symptoms, relieve muscle spasms.
Therapeutic analgesic anti-inflammatory plaster NANOPLAST forte can be used both in the complex treatment of sciatica, as a monotherapy. The plaster is superimposed on the lumbar spine and, if necessary, on the gluteal region - depending on the localization of the pain. At the same time, up to 3 patches can be applied.
In order to get rid of sciatica, you need not only to remove the pain symptom, but also improve metabolic processes in intervertebral discs, remove inflammation, eliminate muscle spasms, improve blood supply and nerve endings, stop or at least slow the development of osteochondrosis. Application NANOPLAST forte allows you to solve this problem.
Thanks to the simultaneous action of two physiotherapeutic factors - deep soft warming heat of infrared radiation and the action of a magnetic field with specially selected characteristics - this innovative preparation can relieve pain and inflammation, improve blood circulation in the affected area, and reduce the dose of analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
For the removal of acute symptoms in the treatment of sciatica, a medical patch is used for 3 to 5 days. The duration of the course is from 9 days. It is usually recommended to use a medical plaster in the morning for 12 hours, but it is also possible to apply it for the night.
High efficiency, uniqueness of the composition, long-term( up to 12 hours!) Therapeutic effect, ease of use and affordable price make NANOPLAST forte the means of choice in the treatment of sciatica.
Therapeutic plaster NANOPLAST forte is sold only in pharmacies.
Sciatica - symptoms, traditional and folk remedies treatment
Sciatica( ischialgia, lumboscialgia) is a complex of symptoms caused by squeezing of the sciatic nerve. In other words, sciatica is a sciatic nerve neuralgia.
Causes and symptoms of
The sciatic nerve is the longest and thickest in the human body, it is formed by five( six) nerve roots, namely several rootlets of the sacrum and two roots in the fourth and fifth vertebrae of the lumbar region.
Pinching of this nerve leads to strong, "shooting" pain, which is felt in the back and through the buttock, the back surface of the thigh goes to the bottom of the left or right foot.
Pain is the main symptom of sciatica. But here with its reason and character it is necessary to understand.
1. Reflex pain is the safest and shortest type of pain in sciatica. It arises from squeezing the sciatic nerve due to swelling. Edema, in turn, is formed as a result of muscle spasm and circulatory disorders.
Such a symptom of sciatica as reflex pain occurs after too intense physical activity, uncomfortable position during sleep, hypothermia, etc. It has a moderate character and, as a rule, passes after a few days. Namely, after the swelling in the region of the sciatic nerve comes off and, thus, stops it( the nerve) from jamming.
2. Pain caused by intervertebral hernia. The cause of the hernia is an excessive load on the spine, as a result of which the cartilaginous bodies( disks) protrude out between the vertebrae. A rupture or tearing of the disc is called intervertebral hernia. It squeezes the nerve, which leads to severe disruption of blood supply to the pelvic organs and legs. The intervertebral hernia is one of the most common causes of sciatica.
Symptoms of sciatica in intervertebral hernia:
- pain has a pronounced "shooting" character, it interferes with sleeping, sitting, walking.
- the patient feels the tension and spasm of the muscles of the waist, pelvis,
- legs. The pain is aggravated by sudden movements, changes in body position and even coughing andsneezing
- the sensitivity of the legs and pelvis is broken, then the development of muscle atrophy is possible, which leads to the loss of one leg of
- and there is a tendency to increase pain
3. Pain caused by osteochondrosis or spinal stenosis. With osteochondrosis, deformation of the vertebrae, violation of their mobility, intervertebral discs do not cope with their functions, sciatica occurs.
Symptoms of sciatica in osteochondrosis:
- pain is mildly aching
- the patient feels stiffness of the muscles
- pain migrates to the buttock, then the lower back, then the leg
Spinal stenosis arises as a consequence of the narrowing of the channel in which the spinal cord is located, it is associated withaging process, so this condition is observed in people over 60 years of age. Symptoms of sciatica with spinal stenosis are similar to those in osteochondrosis and are characterized by mild pain, tingling, numbness of the back area, buttocks and legs.
4. Symptoms of sciatica can also be observed in tumors of the spine, degenerative diseases of the intervertebral discs, pear-shaped muscle syndrome, dysfunction of the sacroiliac joint and other less common diseases.
Traditional treatment of
Since sciatica is not a disease, but only a complex of symptoms, the words "treatment of sciatica" refer to the treatment of a disease that provoked it.
In many cases, the symptoms of sciatica can go away by themselves, and it occurs within one, maximum two weeks. This is possible if the causes of sciatica are not associated with a specific disease, but are the natural "response" of the spine to hypothermia, weight lifting, etc.
But if the cause of sciatica is intervertebral hernia or osteochondrosis - treatment is necessary. To get rid of the pain, you need to take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that has an analgesic, antipyretic effect. These are preparations of diclofenac, ibuprofen, indomethacin, etc. It should be understood that an anesthetic will only temporarily relieve the symptoms of sciatica, but will not cure the disease.
Therefore it is necessary to address to the neurologist, it is better, if it will be the manual therapist. The doctor will begin to treat the patient after analyzing his X-ray images and the results of tomography( computer or magnetic resonance imaging).
For the restoration of normal metabolic processes in the discs, the release of nerve endings in vertebral hernia and osteochondrosis, the methods of manual therapy are used to correct the spine, massages and therapeutic exercises are performed. But in neglected cases, the vertebral hernia is treated surgically.
Folk treatment of sciatica
It is worth remembering that the treatment of sciatica with folk remedies is possible only if the cause of its symptoms allows it to do so. Determine the cause can only a doctor.
Traditional treatment of sciatica is carried out by compresses, tinctures, massages, baths.
1. Horseradish root compress. Make a cake from the shredded root of horseradish, potatoes and a spoonful of honey. Wrap gauze, put a compress on the waist, wrapped in a warm blanket. Horseradish perfectly warms, but without potatoes, it can burn the skin.
2. Compress of wax. Warm up a piece of wax to an elastic state, put it on the waist, wrap it in a blanket. This procedure is useful to do at night. Wax is one of the best folk remedies for sciatica.
3. Compress from turpentine. Mix turpentine and water in approximately equal amounts, pour the mixture on the previously cut rind bread. Attach the bread to the sore spot, fix it with a bandage.
4. Compress from cabbage. Take a leaf of cabbage, scald it with boiling water, put on a sore spot. The time during which to keep a compress is not limited. Cabbage attachments are considered a very effective folk remedy for sciatica, they reduce pain and warm.
5. Compress of rye dough. Knead the dough with water and rye flour, make a cake 1 cm thick, put on the lower back, preferably at night.
Tinctures for folk treatment of sciatica:
1. Tincture of dandelions and cologne. It can be done only during the flowering period of dandelions. Collect the heads of flowers, pour them with triple cologne. In a day you can rub the tincture in a sore spot.
2. Tincture from the herb of St. John's wort.2-3 tablespoonsherb St. John's wort pour half a liter of boiling water, let it brew for two hours. Take half a glass 15 minutes before eating.
3. Tincture of calendula or elecampane. It is used to treat sciatica in its chronic form. You need to take 1 tablespoon.flowers of calendula( or roots of elecampane), pour a glass of water( you need to boil the elephant in a glass of water), insist a couple of hours, eat before eating.
Traditional treatment of sciatica is also carried out with the help of massage. It is necessary to pass, at least, ten massages, which are sometimes very painful. To treat sciatica, massage should begin with the tips of the toes on the legs and end with the shoulder blades.
It is very useful to make honey massage.300 grams of honey melt in a water bath, add 50 grams of alcohol, stir. Prepared mixture for half an hour to do a back massage. This procedure warms well, improves blood circulation, soothes.
Another effective folk remedy for sciatica is a warm bath with decoction of pine. To make it, you need to take 1 kg of young shoots of pine, add 3 liters of hot water, boil, persist for several hours, add 1 liter of infusion per 15 liters of water to the bath with the calculation.
If the folk treatment of sciatica is approached in a complex way, that is, combine massages, tinctures, compresses, then the effect is most likely not to be long in coming. And if the treatment of sciatica with folk remedies is combined with manual therapy, the effect will be visible from the first days of treatment.
But in any case it is easier to prevent the disease than to treat it. For the prevention of sciatica, one should observe posture, do physical exercises, do not lift weights, avoid hypothermia.
This article is only for educational purposes and is not a scientific material or a professional medical advice.
Sciatica, symptoms and treatment with folk remedies
These symptoms can not be confused with any of the others, these sensations can not be ignored. Infernal pain, spilling over the body below the waist, shooting at the buttock and thigh, piercing the leg to the very fingers like a hot nail - many of us know this state firsthand.
The most thick and long nerve fiber of our body called the sciatic nerve is to blame for all these torments. The symptoms described above are due to its anatomical features. He emerges from the spinal cord in the region of the sacrum and descends to the foot. Numerous branches of the sciatic nerve extend to all the major muscles of the leg.
Thus, it is the sciatic nerve that is responsible for the full motor activity of our lower limbs. In a normal state, this nerve does not make itself felt, despite the impressive size. But when he for some reason becomes inflamed, acute symptoms appear, which we described at the beginning of the article. This disease - sciatica nerve inflammation - is also called neuralgia of the sciatic nerve or sciatica( one of the variations of radiculitis) & lt;
Today we will examine in detail - the disease of sciatica, symptoms and treatment at home.
Sciatic Nerve Inflammation: Symptoms and Causes
The main sign of sciatica is pain. Burning, sharp, resembling dental( the same nature - inflamed nerve), only repeatedly strengthened. The pain is felt in the back just below the waist, radiates into the buttock, thigh, cuts the leg along the entire length to the very heel. The pain becomes almost intolerable when walking, movements, various strains( coughing, sneezing, lifting weights).In a state of rest, the pain assumes a aching, pulling character, sometimes replaced by a feeling of heaviness. Sleep is disturbed, since a person can not find a comfortable posture. In addition to the pain syndrome, weakness, numbness and tingling in the leg, a feeling of "podkashivaniya" when walking, may occur.
The main cause of sciatica is pinching of , caused by various degenerative processes developing in the spine. Herniated intervertebral discs, osteochondrosis, etc.cause deformation of bone tissue, its pathological growth. Unplanned outgrowths and protuberances press on the nerve and pinch it. The result - the nerve responds with terrible pain and inflammation.
Infection with .Very often, sciatica occurs as a complication after a virus infection - influenza, SARS, and others. Such diseases as tuberculosis, typhoid, malaria, scarlet fever, brucellosis, syphilis, gonorrhea, rheumatism, as well as various purulent inflammatory processes in the body can provoke sciatic nerve inflammation. Infection enters the nerve through the lymphatic and blood vessels or directly from nearby foci.
Diseases of the joints .With coxarthrosis of the hip joints, deformation of the bone tissue is also observed, creating pressure on the nerve and causing acute pain syndrome. The pain does not have a clear localization, it can appear both in the thigh and near the knee joint, which often complicates the diagnosis.
Other risk factors and causes of sciatica:
- poorly pricked in the butt when the needle pierces the nerve cord
- flatfoot that results in a skeletal disbalance
- postural disorders, curvature of the spine
- spinal congestion
Treatment methods for sciatica
Sciatica is a disease,which you are unlikely to be able to bear, as they say, "on your feet".The severe pain practically deprives the person of an opportunity to move normally even on an apartment so to continue to live in a dense working rhythm does not turn out in any way. Urgent and effective measures are needed. Scheme of treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation includes the following basic points:
2) elimination of inflammation
3) treatment of the underlying disease - the root causes of neuralgia
Pain must be removed first so that a person can lead a relatively acceptable lifestyle. Doctors prescribe strong painkillers, both for internal use, and in the form of ointments, creams and gels of local use. In very acute cases, a blockade of the inflamed nerve is made with the help of injections of novocaine( lidocaine).This procedure should be done by an experienced doctor. The blockade relieves pain for quite a long time.
For the treatment of the inflammatory process, drugs of the NSAID range( non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are prescribed. They work effectively, have analgesic effect, but they have a very serious side effect, destructively affecting the gastrointestinal system, liver and kidneys. Therefore, they can not be abused in any way.
Elimination of the root cause of the disease is the key to a successful cure. With infectious diseases coping with antibacterial and antiviral therapy. To eliminate the jamming of the nerve roots, there are many methods: manual therapy, massage, stretching the spine, therapeutic exercises, mud therapy, acupuncture, physiotherapy and others. A special place is occupied by the treatment of sciatica with folk remedies. For a successful outcome, it is best to use the entire range of healing activities and facilities, of course, after detailed consultation with the treating doctor.
Treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation with folk remedies
As we have already noted, traditional drugs prescribed for sciatica have many side effects and contraindications. In this situation, one can not neglect the extensive experience of traditional medicine, which has a wide arsenal of effective prescriptions. We want to introduce you to some of them. Most of the funds involve external application - they are various rubbing, baths, ointments and substances for compresses. But there are recipes for internal use. We remind you that it's risky to apply them without consulting a specialist: problems with the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys and liver can begin.
Recipes for ingestion
- Pour two teaspoons of horse chestnut seeds with 0.5 liters of boiling water, put on a water bath for 15 minutes, strain, cool. Drink before each meal of 100 ml.
- Pour two tablespoons of dried calendula flowers with two glasses of boiling water, insist in a tightly closed container for at least two hours, drain. Take half a cup before meals 3 - 4 times a day.
- A tablespoon of the dry crushed root of the burdock should be poured with one glass of cahors. On a small fire, heat the solution for no more than 5 minutes( do not bring to a boil).Strain. The received portion of the tincture is divided into two meals - before breakfast and before dinner. Next day, prepare a fresh serving.
external products The warm baths with decoctions of herbs give good results in the treatment of sciatica nerve inflammation with folk remedies. But remember: lying in a hot bath is contraindicated for patients with heart pathologies, varicose veins and women with gynecological diseases. Consult doctors!
- Bath with horseradish. Fresh horseradish root weighing about 100 grams chopped in a meat grinder, put in a bag of gauze and put in a warm bath. Take a bath no more than 5 minutes.
- Bath with pine shoots. A kilogram of fresh young shoots of pine pour three liters of boiling water, then boil under the lid for another 10 minutes. Infuse 4 hours, drain. Add in a warm( not hot!) Bath in the proportion of 1 liter of decoction to 15 liters of water. The procedure should not last longer than 15 minutes.
- Dry acacia flowers white( 100g) pour 300 grams of vodka, close, put in a warm place for 7 days. Then strain. Rub the tincture into sore spots as needed.
- Dry flowers of white lilac( 2 tablespoons) pour 300 ml of alcohol or vodka. Infuse 7 days in a dark place, then drain. Rub into painful places 3 - 4 times a day.
- Squeeze the juice from black radish, add honey in a proportion of 1 part honey to 3 parts juice, mix well. Rinse the affected areas with massage movements for several minutes, until the mixture is absorbed into the skin.
- Twenty leaves of bay leaf pour a glass of vodka, insist three days in a dark place. Tincture rubbed into painful places to reduce the pain syndrome.
- Anesthetic mixture. In a glass of vodka, dissolve a blister of analgin tablets( not less than 10 tablets), add a teaspoon of 5% iodine solution, to stand for three days in a darkened place. To treat painful areas with tincture and wrap it with woolen cloth until morning.
- Prepare a tincture of triple cologne( standard bottle) and fresh dandelion flowers, to stand in a dark place for three days. Rub the product into a sore spot before going to bed. Repeat until the condition is relieved.
- Take 300 g of liquid honey, melt it in a water bath. Add 50 ml of alcohol, pour it in a thin trickle, stirring constantly. Cool, mix well. A ready mix to use for massage both painful sites, and all back. Massage should last at least half an hour.
Treatment of sciatica with folk remedies includes compresses that can significantly improve the condition and reduce pain.
- Preheat a piece of beeswax in a water bath to give it a soft consistency. Then form a cake from it, apply it to a painful patch covering it with polyethylene or wax paper. Wrap the wrap with a woolen cloth or pave a layer of cotton wool, bandage it. Keep the compress all night until the morning. The procedure should be repeated daily for 7 days. After a one-week break, the course can be repeated.
- Knead the similarity of the test from one glass of flour and a tablespoon of liquid honey, roll it into a flat cake, then perform a compress, as in the previous recipe.
- In an enamel saucepan pour half a liter of sunflower oil, add 100 g of salt( preferably coarse grind) and 100 g of crushed fresh nettle leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil and add 50 grams of currant leaves and chopped burdock root. Mix again and bring to a boil. Do not boil, remove from heat, cool. The resulting drug is used for compresses.
- Several cabbage leaves scalded with boiling water( for greater elasticity) and gently decomposed on a painful patch. Top with a woolen cloth and cellophane. Leave for a few hours. After a short time, the compress can be repeated with fresh leaves.
- Fresh horseradish root, crushed to the state of gruel, mixed with grated potato on a large grater, add a tablespoon of honey. Stir to a homogeneous consistency. On greased with any vegetable oil, put a clean gauze, then distribute the medicinal mixture, cover with another layer of gauze, wrap it with cellophane and wrap it with a warm cloth. Compress gives a burning sensation, it's normal. Repeat the procedure can be in a day - often not recommended, because.you can get a burn.
- Prepare a solution of 1 part turpentine and 2 parts water. Saturate with this solution the smell of black bread and densely attach to the problem area, wrap it on top with a thin polyethylene film. The maximum duration of the procedure is 15 minutes, but if the burning is very severe, stop it immediately. The product is effective, but there is a danger of skin burn.
- Grate the wet potatoes of medium size, squeeze the juice. In the remaining potato cake add a teaspoon of kerosene. Stir to the consistency of sour cream. The medicine should be placed evenly between the two gauze cloths and applied to a sore spot, which was preliminarily richly oiled with sunflower oil. Use with caution, there is a risk of burns!
Therapeutic gymnastics for sciatica
Now you know about sciatica, symptoms and treatment at home. We hope that our recommendations for treating sciatica with folk remedies will help you. But it's better not to bring the matter to an aggravation. Take care of yourself, move more, stay tuned and always stay healthy and active!