Pain in the knees: correct treatment with traditional and folk methods
Joint pain is a problem that greatly affects the quality of life. Often, because of the fear of experiencing pain, a person loses his freedom of movement. Special problems cause discomfort in the knees, as it limits the possibility of walking. Sooner or later, almost half of humanity faces this problem. Someone is trying to find ways of therapy on their own, but this rarely gives a positive result. If the knees ache - what to treat them correctly? First of all, it is necessary to establish precisely the cause of the appearance of pain.
For the most ordinary walking, the well-coordinated work of very many joints is needed.
Why does the knee pain
? According to statistics, many people have knee joints at least once in their life - the causes are different in each case. Doctors say that this may be a consequence of more than 200 different pathologies - both directly related to joint damage, and not.
Most painful sensations occur in the following conditions:
- gonarthrosis( arthrosis of the knee joint) - degenerative lesion of articular cartilage non-inflammatory, leading to deformation;
- gonarthritis( arthritis of the knee) - chronic or acute inflammation of the joint;
- effects of injuries;
- age changes;
- congenital pathology;
- excess weight, metabolic disorders, common diseases of the body( eg, rheumatism);
- autoimmune diseases;
The very mechanism of the appearance of pain is associated with damage to the cartilaginous surfaces, ligaments, fluid accumulation in the joint or vice versa by dryness due to reduced production of lubricant, ingress of a piece of bone, cartilage or foreign body into the joint cavity, nerve pincers, disproportionate load, etc.
Traditional methods of
If you are concerned about pain in your knees - treatment. .. you need to postpone? This is because, first of all, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the pain and then treat the underlying disease. Only local effects( ointments, compresses) on the affected area are usually not enough - the doctor necessarily prescribes medication for oral or as injections. In general, the complex of therapeutic measures is aimed at:
- elimination of the factor causing pain;
- restoration of normal structure and function of the joint( as prevention of pain).
With the elimination of the provoking factor and the restoration of the joint, the pain will decrease, and the need for pain medications will decrease. Most often, in complex therapy, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed, chondroprotectors( for the protection and restoration of cartilage) restorative and immunity-normalizing drugs, diet, physiotherapy, massage, manual therapy and physiotherapy.
It is very important to understand that the joints of the legs( including the knees) carry a heavy load,they have to withstand the weight of a person. Therefore, in obese people, knee pains occur more often than in people with normal weight. Accordingly, patients with excessive body weight should reduce it, including in order to relieve the joints of the legs. For this purpose, a diet with a low content of calories, salt, flour products, spicy and spicy food is prescribed.
In the period of remission patients are prescribed therapeutic physical training. Very useful exercise in the water and swimming. Their action is comprehensive: strengthening the muscles, and ligaments, improving blood circulation, hardening the body. .. In the remission phase it is highly desirable to regularly visit the pool.
If the pain in the knee joints is chronic - it depends on the correct and complex treatment that how long the remission lasts( the time when the manifestations of the disease are minimal or absent).Therefore, it is important not to stop treatment and strengthen the body as soon as the pain begins to decrease.
How to treat your knees and quickly get an anesthetic effect? This can be achieved with the help of massage and manual therapy, which should preferably be entrusted to a specialist with a successful experience in the therapy of such diseases.
The radon baths and mud applications also benefit the sick joints, so the course of sanatorium-and-spa therapy will help delay the onset of another exacerbation.
Healing mud can be used, mainly in sanatoriums. The effect of them is very strong
Of course, to give up traditional medicine in favor of the people's should not be. When the knee hurts, treatment with good, proven folk remedies will very well complement standard therapy. In addition, "grandmother's methods" you can apply at home. It is very good if you are recommended by a doctor or a specialist in traditional medicine.
The basic procedures of traditional medicine for pain in the knees are aimed at warming and removing salt deposits. This bath with herbs and other herbal preparations, compresses, lotions and rubbing. Also, herbal decoctions and plant juices are taken inside.
For dissolving and removing salts recommended to make soda lotions every night. To do this, dissolve the soda in warm water in a ratio of one tablespoon per liter of water, moisten this cloth and apply to the knees for fifteen minutes, after which the soda is washed off, the affected areas are smeared with vitamin cream and put on them warming bandages made of natural wool for the night. The procedures are carried out until the pain and crunch in the knees are reduced. Inside, while drinking black radish juice - several tablespoons( about 2-3) per day.
A small video about restoring the knees with physical activity. The image is "upside down", but the useful content is not lost from it:
Often in folk recipes, to reduce pain when preparing compresses, use medical bile, honey and other bee products( for example, propolis);for rubbing - interior beef fat;for baths - decoctions of straw, hops, chamomile, St. John's wort, rowan bark and other plants. The duration of the procedures is selected individually and depends on the patient's condition, tolerability of treatment and the speed of the onset of the effect.
Whatever means you choose not to use - it is important that the effect from it will come faster and will be more complete if the disease is not very neglected. So watch your health and do not bring the disease to severe forms.
The knee aches: what to do, than to treat
Treatment in the event that from time to time or constantly the knees hurt, it is necessary after the diagnosis, as the causes of painful sensations in the joint may be different. To do this, the doctor uses methods of instrumental diagnosis, and also assigns laboratory studies. Informative is general and biochemical blood test, radiograph or MRI of the knee joint.
Treatment for physical overloads
Experienced and novice athletes, as well as people who decide to go jogging, often call a doctor with complaints that after training with them:
- Sore feet above the knees,
- Sore knees after running,
- Sore kneesafter sit-ups.
If, in addition to soreness, the patient does not experience any other symptoms, unpleasant sensations are smoothed out after a short rest, then the reason is a slight stretching of the ligaments of the knee joint. This is caused by uncomfortable shoes, or by hard coating of treadmills, too intense loads. Treatment is limited to wearing the instep support and reducing the load. A good result gives a grinding "Finalgon" or "Fastum-gel".The first ointment enhances blood circulation in the tissues, the second - prevents the inflammatory process.
Many women after the birth feel pain in the lap of varying intensity, and this pain is also caused by an overload of the joint, but for hormonal reasons. The fact that in the body of a pregnant woman produces a hormone that relaxes the ligament, the weight of the woman rises, the load on the weakened joints increases. With the timely wearing of the instep, the joints do not suffer, and leaving a slight soreness in the knees without attention, the woman risks the following: the joint may become deformed, the inflammatory process begins.
Treatment of inflammation in the knee joint
Pain and swelling of the knees - what should I do? Answer: as soon as possible to see a doctor, such symptoms are caused by an inflammatory process in the joint cavity. Inflammation begins because of a trauma that has been received for a long time, or because of infection from another focus of inflammation: a sick tooth, tonsillitis, a sore throat.
Treatment of inflammation necessarily involves the intake of antibiotics, as well as the imposition on the patient of the joint of anti-inflammatory compresses. It is impossible to apply thermal procedures or warming ointments - this activates the inflammatory process. The tumor and reddening of the compress with Dimexide are well removed: the drug solution is diluted with water in half, and any antibiotic is added to it. The finished fabric is wetted with cloth and applied to the knee. In two hours the bandage can be removed. This compress is applied not only to the knee joints, but also to the elbows during inflammation.
During the remission, outside the acute phase of the inflammatory process, a full course of sanatorium treatment should be completed, where mud applications and various physiotherapy procedures are used. This allows the metabolic processes in the joint to normalize and prevent its deformation. More detailed information on rehabilitation in the course of illness is given by the recommendations of Dr. Sergei Bubnovsky, his books provide answers to many questions related to the treatment of joints and spine.
Treatment of knees in children
When aching knees in a child , and more often it happens at night, then to relieve pain, you have to rub the baby's legs with any warming ointment to improve blood circulation. Most often used balm "Star" or ointment "Doctor Mom", they do not irritate the skin of the child. If the preschooler complains of pain in the knees in the morning or after a walk - this is a symptom of arthritis, and you should immediately visit a doctor.
Treatment of thrombophlebitis
A person experiencing pain in the legs below the knees of may suffer from an initial stage of thrombophlebitis. Treatment consists in the admission of special capsules: "Escuzan", "Detralex" or "Troxevasin", as well as local application of gels and ointments that improve trophic tissue and relieve inflammation.
Sick of the knees what to do?
With the problem of pain in the knee, most people in this world face. And many do not even know what to do if the knee hurts. In everyday life, we face this situation every day. And in this there is nothing terrible - because everyday loads on your knees are very large, hence the pain in the joints. As a rule, it is easiest to get a knee injury in sports training or with a lot of physical exertion. The situation when the knees ache is very unpleasant, you should immediately take measures to reduce pain and further avoid injury.
The knee joint is the largest in the entire human body. Hence its very complex structure. The knee joint is located at the junction of the femur and the two bones of the shin. The femur and knee are connected by means of tendons, muscles, cartilages. In the knee joint, there are shock absorbers, menisci perform their function. Menisci also respond to the mobility of their knees. The kneecap closes the patella, protecting it from heavy loads, so that the joint can move freely.
Why can my knees ache?
There are many reasons that affect the pain in the knee. And the first question that arises in people in this situation: aching knees, what to do. But in order to understand what to do, you first need to understand the root cause.
Pain in the knee can be associated with damage to the joints, cartilage, ligaments, tendons. And also with various pathologies of the knee joint. If there is swelling in the knee pains and the composition is hotter than the other, it may indicate the presence of a disease such as arthritis. In addition, the knee may not hurt, but the person will feel that it is constrained, that is, movements are difficult, especially difficult to perform lateral movements. Sometimes, due to pain in the knees, the muscles of the legs above the knees can hurt. This situation is most likely due to excessive sports.
Most often, knee pain occurs when the meniscus is damaged. But already the meniscus injury can be caused by anything - a fall, a strong blow and so on. The cause of damage to the meniscus can be excessive weight, heightened exercise. If the cause of pain in the knees - excess weight, then a person must adhere to a diet in order to lose weight and reduce the burden on your joint. Above, the main reasons were listed, from which it is clear why the knees ache.
Most often, knee pain occurs when an injury occurs. Typically, this damage can occur in the following situations:
- A very strong blow to the knee, or a knee kick against a hard surface.
- Unsuccessful fall on one knee, or both.
- Injury can occur if the knee joint is long in an unnatural condition.
As a rule, immediately after the injury, you can see the first symptoms: there will be swelling of the knee, bruising, acute pain in the joint. When the knee is swollen and aching, a very uncomfortable feeling arises in the joint, as if they are prevented from moving. In addition, there may be a feeling of numbness in the knee or even across the entire leg, as well as a feeling of cold. This is due to the fact that nerve endings can be squashed.
To better understand, let's look at the most known types of knee injuries:
- Meniscal damage.
- Injury of tendons or ligaments, stretching or rupture.
- Rupture of knee ligaments.
- Fracture( open or closed) of the lower part of the femur, upper leg or patella. Fracture can occur with a very strong impact directly in the knee, as well as with a strong fall, when the knee is the entire weight of a person.
- Dislocation of the patella, or dislocation of the knee. It can occur when doing any exercise. Such a trauma happens in women or girls at the age from 14 to 19 years. As a result of such damage, a fragment may form inside the knee, which will prevent the normal functioning of the knee in the future.
- Knee dislocation. As practice shows, such a trauma is rare. It can be obtained only with strong muscular effort. If a person dislocates his knee, he should immediately seek medical help in order to avoid serious consequences.
What is arthrosis?
Often, acute pain in the knees does not occur immediately, but after some time. This indicates that the person did not go to the doctor on time and did not take any measures for treatment. In addition, hypothermia of the joint can also cause inflammation, which can develop into a chronic one. There will be pain when walking, it will be hard to stand for a long time. All these reasons can lead to arthrosis of the knee joint - chronic pain in the knees. To avoid the risk of this disease, you need to seek medical help in a timely manner.
What is arthritis?
Arthritis is an inflammation of the joint that results from the fact that the joints were exposed to bacteria. If a person has an acute form of arthritis, then it can be accompanied by an increase in body temperature, chills, fever and acute pain in the joints. With this disease, you can see that the inflamed joint turns red and even swells, while the rest of the body is pale.
Chronic arthritis can occur as a result of the deposition of salts. These formations greatly impede the movement of the joint, as a result of which it eventually solidifies eventually, and its functioning is almost impossible. The pains become very strong, muscle atrophy can occur.
To avoid the occurrence of arthritis, you need to monitor your weight, as excess body weight gives an additional strain on the knee joints. Heavy objects need to be lifted correctly, without making sudden movements. Regular physical exercises will help you in the prevention of any joint disease. It is necessary to reconsider their food, refuse sweets, carbonated drinks. Correct posture is the guarantee of healthy joints, because when you sit with a straight back it looks not only beautiful, but also reduces the load on the joints several times.
Injuries resulting from physical exertion
Another common cause of these injuries is excessive load on the joint. For example, if a person constantly rides a bicycle, he may well begin an inflammatory process in the knee joint, as a result of which, the knee will begin to ache. People who engage in sports suffer from knee diseases several times more often than people who do not engage in it. Let's consider
the main injuries that can result from a prolonged load on the knee joints:
- Inflammation or tendon damage.
- Occurrence in the joint of tissues or some formations, which can cause pain in the patellar region.
- Inflammation of synovial knee bag.
Now, when the main causes of pain in the knees are dismantled, let's try to figure out how to properly treat them. First of all, you should never engage in self-medication - this will not lead to anything good. All of the above reasons can really affect the pain in the knees, but the true cause can only be revealed by the doctor. Therefore, before starting treatment, consult a doctor.
Once you have a clear idea of if your knees are aching, then you just have to follow the doctors' instructions.
Let's consider some simple recipes that will help to remove swelling or swelling for a while. But keep in mind that these recipes will only have a temporary effect.
- You will need to grind the burdock leaves through a meat grinder or in a blender, mix them with vodka and rub them with damaged areas. This method is good for swelling.
- Remarkable tool - golden mustache. Use it on vodka and rub your knees for the night. Pain immediately decreases.
- Birch leaves can also be used to reduce pain. Attach them to the sore spots, wrap them with gauze and go to rest. In the morning, remove the compress, and you will immediately feel that it has become much easier.
- If you notice that your knees are sore for a long time, but going to the doctor for you is unacceptable, then try every evening to take warm baths with soda. This will reduce pain.
- If you have salt build-up on the joints, then a black radish will help you. Slice her skin and apply to the knee. Start at five minutes, gradually increasing the time to fifteen minutes. The procedures must be carried out within ten days, after which take a break.
- Another recipe that will help get rid of the pain is orange jelly. You will need orange juice and gelatin. After you have prepared the jelly, you will need to eat it three times a day, in the morning, at lunch and at night.
- To prepare the next solution, you need one bay leaf and water. Pour the sheet with water, bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes. Then allow the solution to infuse for two or three hours. After that, you can safely wipe them with inflamed joints.
These simple recipes will help you reduce pain in the knee and relieve swelling. But they can not cure your trauma, complex treatment can be prescribed only by an experienced specialist.
In addition to such recipes, there are several other ways that also help to temporarily reduce the discomfort:
- If the knee is swollen and sore, then an ice pack will help you. You can take the package with ice and attach it to the damaged place. After a while, the pain will begin to recede.
- The application of a fixative bandage can also help. But you must be sure that it can be done with your injury, otherwise you can only aggravate the situation.
- For those who like to run or go in for sports, it will be useful to change sports shoes more often. After all, it has the property of stumbling, which negatively affects the knee joint.
- If the knee hurts, when you sit for a long time in one place, you need to move a little. Sedentary lifestyle or sedentary work is very dangerous - the risk of gaining excess weight develops, which will put stress on the knee joints, and all the time without movement - it is very harmful, the knees stagnate. Therefore, it is very important to monitor the diet and at least a couple of times a week to arrange a training session. Or every morning to do ten minutes of exercise. It will be useful not only for the knees, but for the whole organism.
- Remember that exercises are necessary in order to avoid pain in the joints. A man needs to develop ligaments and knee muscles, since they are responsible for him. It is necessary to perform exercises to strengthen them, because if they are not strong enough, then you can not avoid pain. At the same time, make sure that there is no overexertion - it can also cause inflammation. It is enough to practice two or three times a week under the guidance of a coach, or to do exercises, an easy warm-up yourself, then watching to avoid any unpleasant sensations.
Sergei Bubnovsky: aching knees, what to do?
Sergey Bubnovsky's famous book "Sore knees: what to do?" Will tell you a lot of interesting things. It is written in plain language and it will be clear to any person who does not have medical education. In this book, you can find many answers to your questions. The author will tell you why there are pains in your knees, what is caused, what consequences may be, what not to do to avoid and much more. You will learn what can be done to temporarily reduce pain in the knee joint. In the book Bubnovsky detailed exercises for the prevention of arthritis and arthrosis, exercises that help restore the functioning of the knee after an injury. You will find out why knees begin to ache with age, even if in youth it was not.
In this book, you can find the answer to any of your questions, which is related to diseases of the knees. Here everything is set out simply and in detail. No reader will have any difficulties, the text is easy and understandable. A lot of useful tips and recipes will help in the future to avoid damage not only knee, but also other joints. Be careful, do regular physical activity, watch your weight and way of life and then you will forget what knee pains are.
Acute knee pain - what to do
The knee is the largest and most functionally complicated joint of the human body, which is daily subjected to heavy loads. It is surrounded by the developed leg muscles, providing mobility and strength of movement, but at the same time subjecting it to strong tension.
Despite its large size, the knee joint is a rather weak and vulnerable place, which is easily injured. Therefore, many people periodically ache knees when flexing, prolonged or short-term, but strong loads. Especially often such problems arise in the elderly.
Causes of knee pain
Pain syndrome in the knee joint can be caused by trauma or have a pathological nature. Sometimes it is a symptom of a serious disease, which can be determined by the nature of the sensations and a number of additional signs. Among the most common reasons why the knees hurt, the following:
- Ligament injury - any activity associated with physical exertion can lead to knee injury. Often this happens during sports and during active rest, at the same time immediate sharp pain is felt, the joint swells. If this happens, it is necessary to exclude further burdens on the injured leg until medical help is provided, so as not to aggravate the trauma;
- Inflammation of tendons( tendinitis) is another injury that can be obtained while exercising. Tendinitis is accompanied by painful sensations in the kneecap itself and in the anterior part of the knee, but not continuously, but during running, jumping, squatting and climbing the stairs;
- Damage to the meniscus( cartilage in the knee joint) is a fairly common injury that is accompanied by pain in the back of the knee. The gap can occur gradually so that a person does not immediately notice the problem;
- Bursitis - inflammation of the fluid sac in the knee joint, accompanied by swelling, swelling and reddening of the affected area, as well as knee pain while squatting. Can be infectious in nature;
- Articular mouse - a condition in which a fragment of cartilage or bone is separated for some reason and falls between the moving parts. In this case, patients complain of pain and attacks of blockade of the knee joint;
- Dislocation of the patella - with this lesion, the triangular bone in the anterior part of the knee slips toward its outer part. This is due to the weakness and sluggishness of the quadriceps muscle and leg extensor muscles, which is accompanied by severe pain in the knee and swelling of the joint. Incorrect bone position, as a rule, can be detected by visual inspection;
- Osteoarthritis - age-related wear of cartilage, develops gradually and is manifested by pain and swelling of the knee when walking;
- Arthritis is an inflammatory process that is accompanied by pain, stiffness in movements, swelling and redness of the knee, with discomfort usually increasing at night. Often arthritis affects both knees at the same time.
What to do when the knees hurt
First of all, it is necessary to find out why the knees ache. If flexion, extension and other loads are accompanied by intolerable pain, treatment can only be prescribed by a specialist. With such symptoms, if you are suspected of acute damage, you should contact a traumatologist. If the cause, most likely, pathological, will require the help of a rheumatologist or orthopedist. To remove or alleviate the pain syndrome will help a physiotherapist, a chiropractor or a massage therapist, but these are only temporary measures.
The cause of pain in the knees is very high, so at the first unpleasant symptoms should consult a doctor. To more accurately make a diagnosis, the doctor will need to get detailed information about the nature of the sensations and their exact location. If discomfort emerged as a result of an injury, you need to describe how it was received. After the examination, the doctor will prescribe an X-ray to exclude the possibility of fracture.
If this way, the source of pain can not be identified, magnetic resonance imaging( MRI) is assigned to assess the condition of the tendons and ligaments. In some cases, resort to arthroscopy - the study of the structure of the knee joint using a microscopic video camera, which is inserted into the knee joint surgically.
Treatment of knee pain
Whatever the cause of pain in the knees, the first thing to do is reduce the strain on the joints. Often during a period of acute pain, the patient needs a bed rest with the subsequent activation of the leg. It is recommended when walking to use a cane or crutches, to wear soft and comfortable shoes. In some cases, the doctor appoints orthopedic insoles.
In some cases, the problem can be solved with the help of conservative treatment, and sometimes for the treatment of pain in the knees resort to surgery.
Conservative treatment consists in arresting pain and removing edema in acute attacks, after which they are engaged in restoring joint mobility and its stability. Usually, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and anesthetic drugs are used, with very severe pain, they are prescribed directly to the joint. This allows you to remove the pain for a long time and keep the mobility of the knee. Sometimes, if the knee hurts when bending, effectively using local remedies for applications that complement the action of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
To restore the function of damaged knee parts, chondroprotectors are injected into the joint cavity - preparations that restore the mechanical integrity and elasticity of cartilage, as well as artificial substitutes for synovial fluid. After that, physiotherapy procedures and special physical therapy are prescribed. As a result, it should help the patient to fully restore mobility and get rid of pain in the knees. Such treatment affects the lesion, without causing side effects.
In more serious cases, surgical intervention is necessary. Usually, first the means are used to remove the edema and partial restoration of the mobility of the joint, after which the operation is performed. Sometimes a surgical method is the most effective or even the only way to treat traumatic knee injuries. During such operations, replace some of its damaged components with artificial prostheses, and in some cases, its complete replacement.
The duration of recovery after the procedure depends on the degree of damage to the knee joint. But thanks to the modern achievements of surgery, patients almost always after rehabilitation return to the usual way of life, and pains in the knees remain in the past.
Found an error in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.