Why knees hurt after runningRun helps strengthen the cardiovascular system, strengthens the muscles, the immune system and develops the body as a whole. But many people face a problem: they hurt their knees after running. Why does this discomfort arise?
If you do not properly prepare for the lesson, there is often a pain in the knee when running. Improperly selected shoes, unprepared for prolonged running of the muscles lead to the appearance of a pain symptom and discomfort in the legs. But if there is a regular pain in the knee after running, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
Causes of knee pain
Why do my knees hurt? Anatomically the knee has a complex structure and consists of a knee joint, connected with the muscles of the legs and their tendons. The reasons for the pain after running can be very many.
- Meniscal injury. The pain is of a regular nature, appearing during sudden movements, descending the stairs, lifting weights.
- If the ligaments are damaged, they may be torn or stretched. Usually, pain occurs when there is a strong overstrain in the knee joint, with increased training.
- Arthritis - inflammation of the joints. Occurs because of injuries or infections. At the beginning of the disease the joint swells, there is a sharp pain when running or walking. Chronic form can manifest itself by changing the appearance of the knee. Arthritis often hurts the back, as the disease affects the spine.
Inflammation of cartilage leads to bone injury
Arthrosis causes destruction of cartilage in joints with subsequent deformation. Chronic disease, in the advanced stage, complete immobilization of the joint is possible.
- Synovitis is an excessive accumulation of the intramuscular fluid. It occurs, as a rule, in the knee and elbow joints. In most cases, it is caused by an infection that penetrates into the synovial fluid.
- Polyarthritis has the same symptoms as arthritis, but infects several joints at once.
- Tendonitis is a chronic disease that affects the tendon. The illness develops very slowly, at the first stage the pain appears only with running or heavy load, further manifesting itself in a calm state.
- Sore feet and low back when running often due to flat feet, since the load on the foot is not distributed correctly.
- A traumatized backbone can also cause knee pain after running.
Since the knee has a very complex structure, the appearance of pain after running can be caused by pathologies of ligaments, tendons, knee joints, and other causes not directly related to the knee.
Prevention of pain when running
Proper preparation will reduce the risk of pain when running.
- When walking, jogging, jumping, the load on the legs increases. Use of special footwear will reduce the likelihood of injury when doing sports. Shoes should sit well on the foot and carefully fix the heel.
- Knee joint is distinguished by great mobility, but it is necessary to prepare carefully before running: the muscles of the legs should be warmed up well. A lot of work is done on the spine during running, so warm-up should be done, taking this into account: warm up also the muscles of the back.
- It is advisable to practice in specially designated places for this. An uneven surface increases the risk of injury when running. Unfavorable for running are asphalted paths, as with a dense coating, the load on the knees and spine increases.
During training, distribute the body weight evenly over the entire foot. With the emphasis on only the socks or heels, there is an additional load on the joints of the legs and spine.
During the session, it is essential to observe the correct breathing technique. This will help reduce the burden on the cardiovascular system, as well as increase the effectiveness of the exercise. During running, the body needs oxygen several times more than at rest. Frequent intermittent breathing does not fill the oxygen supply in the lungs. Smooth breathing with an emphasis on exhalation helps to increase lung ventilation. Mouth breathing is considered incorrect, this increases the possibility of microbes and dust entering the throat, contributing to the occurrence of various infections. Specialists recommend mixed breathing, in which oxygen enters through the nose and exits through the mouth.
Ways to relieve pain in the knee
What if I get a knee during running? The main thing is to stop overstraining the sick joint. It is necessary to relax the spine, it is advisable to put the foot on the dais.
What to do with the appearance of pain:
- you can wear a bandage on the knee, which will help relieve the load on the affected joint;
- cold and hot compresses will help to quickly cool and anesthetize the inflamed place, you can use warming ointments;
- should not be completely abandoned, it can lead to even more injuries;
- anti-inflammatory and anesthetic drugs will help to quickly remove the pain symptom.
Constant loads result in knee injury even with proper running. Loads should be distributed evenly, gradually increasing over time. If you have an injury, you should always contact a trauma doctor.
It used to be that constant running runs develop osteochondrosis of knee joints. But at one of the conferences of rheumatologists in America it was refuted. Classes jogging strengthen the spine, reduce the body mass index, which helps reduce the burden on the joints.
How uncomfortable it is for a beginner runner to throw a jogging, because his legs or knees ache after running. And experienced runners also often face this sick topic.
Let's figure out what kinds of injuries threaten runners and how to prevent injuries while running.
Types of injuries when running
Acute and chronic
The first appear abruptly and suddenly. Cracks and fractures of bones, sprains and tendons, ruptures and micro fractures of muscles occur simultaneously, for example, as a result of a fall, unnatural turn of the foot, overly abrupt movement and similar embarrassments.
The second is more stretched in time. For example, without paying attention to the painful joint and continuing to run, you can "achieve" that the knee will hurt not only after running, but also at rest. And with the sport will have to say goodbye not for a week or two, and at best - for a month.
Species of injuries at the site of injury
1) Chondromalacia of the knee joint.
Simply put, this is the destruction of cartilage. In this case, the knees hurt after running, if training on rough terrain, with descents from the mountain or climbs on it, and also, not picking the right shoes, run on asphalt and concrete covers.
2) Plantar fasciitis.
It is an inflammation of the connective tissue surrounding, holding and nourishing the muscles and tendons of the foot. The main reasons: constant overstrain, movement on hard surfaces, incorrect running technique, excess weight and non-running or worn sneakers.
3) Inflammation of the periosteum ( located in front of the shin).
The legs of the legs ache during and after running as a result of a sharp increase in load, excessive intensity of exercise, aggravated by a lack of recovery between training, strong shock loads.
4) Inflammation of the Achilles ( tendons connecting the calf muscles with heels).
Occurs because of too high loads, unpreparedness and weak stretchability of the tendon, improper selection of running shoes, flat feet.
5) Overexertion of the front of the of the foot( pain accompanied by a tumor).
Sore feet after running for long distances on a hard surface.
6) Syndrome ileal-tibial ligament( extending from the knee outside the thigh).
It can be provoked by descents from the mountain and jogging on rough terrain, aggravated by the weakness of the leg muscles, irregular training, neglecting the warm-up, the features of the leg structure( for example, the letter O) and flat feet.
7) Stress fractures of the foot ( cracks due to excessive use).
Unpleasantness is caused by a sharp increase in load( volume and intensity) and non-shocking sneakers.
In order not to hurt your legs after running, you need
1) Do not force the load.
The length of the session and the distance to be overcome is increased gradually. This applies to beginners, and experienced runners, and those who have made some break.
The latter especially sin an unbalanced load that does not correspond to the current physical state. If a couple of months did not run, you need to start with a light jogging, gradually increasing mileage.
For example, every week increase volume / intensity by 10%.The progress will go smoothly, without revolutions in the exaggerated legs.
2) Initially choose smooth and non-rigid surfaces.
Asphalt and, especially, concrete or paved tracks should be avoided. It is better to run on ground or grassy surfaces, for example, on the side of the same asphalt track.
Until the necessary coordination, "feeling of a leg" is developed, it is not necessary to pass to the rugged terrain. But also to avoid easy ascents and descents too it is not necessary.
3) Before starting to practice, consult an orthopedic doctor.
He can determine the features of the structure of the legs, reveal flat feet and give practical advice on how to overcome these drawbacks. For example, with the help of special insoles.
4) It is correct to choose shoes for running , which sits well on the foot, in size and has high cushioning properties. Monitor the change in shockproof properties and change it in time( approximately after 700-800 km of run).Sneakers and suits for happy-running
5) It is compulsory to do an warm-up before running and hitch after workout. Pay attention to stretching exercises, which are especially needed for older wrestlers.
6) Allow the body to recover between training sessions. Should be at least two days a week, free of jogs. Help to restore proper nutrition, bath and massage.
Those who are friends with their body, listen to his signals, plan and analyze the workouts, do not hurt the knees after running, and the feet remind of themselves only pleasant fatigueafter a good circle.
Training you without injury!
Very often knee pains after running from the fact that the leg is incorrectly moving. More correctly, there is an incorrect movement of the joint itself. This occurs when running on rough terrain, with the wrong technique of running, with flat feet, in which there is an incorrect position of the feet, with incorrectly selected shoes, in the absence of warm-up.
It turns out that this place can be sick during or after running, for a variety of reasons. Often, it is simply impossible to determine the reason that applies to you on your own. In order to identify the true cause, you must always consult a doctor. Only an experienced specialist, based on complaints, on examination and on tests, will be able to diagnose correctly and prescribe the only correct treatment for pain in the knee.
During acute pain, it is better to immediately stop running, and then the joint itself for some time to release from any load. After this, the knee should be wrapped in a flexible bandage. Instead of bandage, you can use special bandages.
In order to relieve pain, it is advisable to apply a cold compress to the aching leg. In this case, the hot water bottle with ice water or an ice pack must be wrapped in a terry towel. If you do not, you can get frostbite. Keep such a cold compress is recommended for no more than 15 minutes. The procedure is best done 3-4 times, every hour.
It is necessary to put a foot on the pillow so that it is above the level of the head. This is necessary in order that the blood does not flow to the inflamed place, and the inflammation would not become even stronger.
You can take a tablet of analgin or another analgesic. However, if the pain does not pass, then you should definitely consult a doctor.
If pain in the knee joint occurs more and more with running, then you can suspect some kind of chronic disease. In order to find out the cause of these pains, it's worth to see a doctor. Also, you can get all necessary consultations from him, and also learn about whether you can run further. It is likely that the doctor will advise you to start taking such drugs as chondroprotectors, which will help restore the joint itself and its ligaments.
In this case, most likely, you will have to constantly wear a bandage or elastic bandage. But the use of special ointments will help to remove the inflammation and accelerate the metabolic processes in a painful place, which is very important so that the disease does not become more tormenting.
To avoid pain in the knee during running, it is better to do it not on asphalt, but on level ground. And before you start the exercises themselves, you should definitely observe the correct technique of running. If you do not know exactly how to run in order not to heavily burden your knees, you should always contact a specialist who can tell you everything and show you.
Special attention should be paid to shoes. Choose only the "right" sneakers that fit exactly in size, with a flexible nose and a stiff back that will support the arch of the foot well.
It should be remembered that the load during running should be uniform and gradual. If this rule is not observed, then the muscles can be strongly overstrained, and this, again - the cause of pain in the knee.
If you can not cope with the pain yourself, and it arises again and again, then the run is worth stopping. In some cases, stopping the load on the knees helps to completely get rid of the pain. However, you still need to see a doctor. At least to make sure that everything is in order with your legs.
Why knees hurt when running
I have the same thing. Went to the doctor, said arthrosis. You do not have to run, you have to swim or do aerobics where different muscle groups are used and the load is distributed. My doctor recommended strengthening the femoral muscles, so that the load on the knee was less. Alas, running now is not for me.
the glory of the shahs
arthrosis.honey.reduce the load. .. the deposition of nuno salts gradually clean up.and not run away from retirement in all. ... everything should be smoothly
Warm up, everything inside is shuffling, it is erased, you need to do everything gradually.
it is necessary to take mineral supplements of natural origin, because the load on the joints has increased, and you can not do without help. There are excellent in composition and results of drugs, the company NNPTSTO( Technology of Rejuvenation) KALMIN and ANAVITA +.
imagine how much you weigh and what burden your knee joints experience when running.of course they will be sick if they are not spared. Carefully warm up before running, legs during running should be warm( no bare knees), rub them after running with warming ointments and generally start with a smooth walk along inclined surfaces.