Why the ankle usually hurts and what you need to do
Any pain in the ankle gives you inconveniences - you have to forget about stylish shoes and active sports, about romantic walks and morning jogging after the bus. And therefore, in all possible ways, you aspire to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Not always, feeling an ailment, you go straight to the doctor, often home therapies come, which are not always right, and not always appropriate.
Find out the causes of
In order for the healing process to give a positive result, one must know the causes of pain in the ankle well and act on them. Among all pathologies, which can hurt the ankle joint, the injuries are confidently leading. These include:
- Sprains or ligament ruptures;
Among the chronic diseases that cause the development of pain in the ankle, are:
- Arthritis and arthrosis;
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbosacral spine;
- Inflammatory tendon processes;
- Heel spurs;
- Pathology of the foot( longitudinal or transverse flat feet).
Heel spur is a common cause of pain in the ankle
Among the reasons easily eliminated without treatment, it can be noted:
- Excess body weight;
- Wearing narrow, uncomfortable shoes with high heels.
There is also a large group of diseases in which ankle pain is a concomitant symptom - rheumatism, varicose veins, diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis and many other pathologies that can last for years. In these cases, patients usually know well why the leg is sore and how to cope with the ailment.
errors If you suddenly feel severe pain in the ankle and do not associate their appearance with a probable injury, do not warm your ankle. Any thermal procedure can lead to increased pain and swelling, which will make diagnosis difficult.
Also it is not necessary to grind and massage a sick leg - active mechanical techniques can aggravate an injury. Any local treatment in the first day of pain in the ankle involves the use of cold - a bubble with ice or a cold salt compress.
For pain in the ankle, a tight bandage can be replaced with an orthosis of industrial production
The correct route
If yesterday your legs were perfectly healthy, and today you noticed that the ankle joint swells and hurts, go to a traumatologist. And, the faster you get to it, the better. What will the doctor do first? He will send you to X-ray, and only after the shot is ready, he will prescribe the treatment.
Oh, those bundles!
Have turned a leg, have hurt, have awkwardly risen - have stretched ligament. The degree of this pathology is 3, and the ankle joint hurts the stronger, the stronger the ligaments are. The term "stretching" has become firmly established in our vocabulary, although the ligaments of our joints can not stretch - these are the features of the fibrous tissue from which they consist. At the first degree of extension, the ligament is ligated, the second is tearing, and it is customary to speak about the third degree when the ligament is ruptured.
Treatment of this pathology always assumes:Recommended reading:
Treatment of sprains of the ankle joint
- Mobility limitation;
- Cold and adequate anesthesia on the first day;
- Imposition of a tight bandage on the ankle joint. And in some cases, the bandage can be replaced with a gypsum lanceum, and sometimes an operation may be required to restore the function of the joint.
Treatment of dislocations and fractures of the ankle is carried out only with the aid of gypsum. And the term of wearing a plaster bandage is quite long. Of great importance is the well-organized rehabilitation program after trauma, it depends on it whether the ankle joint will function normally in the future.
When one hurts, and when two joints
If the ankle hurts on one leg, the pain is most likely caused by the heel spur or exacerbation of lumbar osteochondrosis. Pain with spur - acute, burning, and with osteochondrosis spreads not only to the ankle, but also to the entire lower limb.
If the ankle joints hurt on both legs - you probably have arthritis or flat feet. With inflammatory articular diseases, the joint will look edematous, the skin on the surface may be hyperemic, but with flat-footed external changes you may not notice.
Independently to understand the cause of pain in the ankle is very difficult, and even eliminate it and even more so. Therefore, with repeated pains( even if they are not located in the ankle), consult a doctor.
Useful preventive exercises:
About traditional medicine
There are people who "do not like doctors" and prefer to cope with any ailments with the help of a variety of folk recipes. Pain in the ankles is not the case if you want to move to your old age on your healthy legs. You can apply various methods of treatment to the grandmother, and even during the rehabilitation period after the injury, but only after they are approved by your doctor.
For the relief of pain, folk medicine uses herbs and herbs, home-made ointments, and various alcohol rubbing. But you need to know exactly and the dose, and the duration of the course of treatment, and no one except the doctor will tell you about it. Do not disregard the recommendations of professionals, because a reasonable attitude to their health in youth - a pledge of your activity in old age.
Pain in the ankle joint can be caused by arthritis or subluxation of the joint, which subsequently leads to the appearance of arthrosis. Arthritic inflammation of this organ occurs most often against the background of inflammation of other joints. In this case, the ankle can swell and swell even without previous damage. When arthritis pain is usually not very pronounced and manifested at night. During the day during walking, the pain subsides or becomes less intense.
Why do pains occur in the ankle?
The largest contingent of patients complaining of an ankle pain consists of those people who have received a certain trauma. Most often, the ankle is stretched, which causes a hemorrhage from its outer and inner sides. During palpation of the ankle area, patients notice rather severe pains that may occur as a result of a fracture of V metatarsal bone.
In addition, this joint can also suffer as a result of a fracture of the external ankle, and after a fracture of both ankles accompanied by a subluxation of the feet. In this case, there is a significant increase in the joint in volume, and even the slightest attempt at movement can cause an attack of acute pain.
In the event that the first ankle injury occurs, it usually lasts for a month, but after the next dislocation, the ligaments are so weakened that arthrosis may develop.
Often, subluxation of the joint is observed in people with a large body weight, as well as those patients who have a weak ligamentous apparatus. When walking, a person with weak ligaments can tuck in a leg even for no apparent reason. After such a dislocation, he has a severe traumatic swelling, which subsequently requires a sparing regimen and a decrease in physical activity.
Symptoms of deforming arthrosis
Severe pain in the ankle in non-natural cases are symptoms of deforming arthrosis. This disease can cause disability leading to loss of ability to work. The main causes of pain in arthrosis are early trauma, which made the surface of bones uneven. This deformation leads to a deterioration in the sliding of the joint surfaces and causes additional damage to them.
Treatment of ankle diseases
Patients with the described disease often complain of discomfort localized in the foot and shin area. They observe a gait violation, which leads to a limitation of mobility. At the initial stages of the disease, people are often recommended to normalize their weight and pick up appropriate shoes that reduce the load on the foot. With pronounced pain symptoms, doctors prescribe analgesic therapy, which consists in taking analgesics.
A good effect in the treatment of this ailment is noted after using compresses based on analgesic ointments: diclac, finalgon and fastum gel. In the case when the process progresses, and the pains become very strong, corticosteroids are injected into the cavity of the affected joint.
In addition, patients are recommended to drink a course of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, especially they are effective in the period of exacerbation of the disease. If a person has internal lesions of the stomach, then drugs with a minimum dose of toxins are prescribed: celecoxib or nimesulide.
Physiotherapeutic procedures are considered to be an integral component of the treatment of this disease: phonophoresis with glucocorticoids, electrophoresis, magnetotherapy. They increase the effect of drugs, and also relieve inflammation. Naturally, such manipulations can be carried out exclusively during the period of remission and reduction of pain.
Very often the pain in the ankle joint is observed in gymnasts. The video below shows a method of treating pain with a massage:
Pain can be provoked by a whole complex of causes
Ankle pain is a phenomenon common in medical practice, it serves as a frequent condition for treatment of victims for therapeutic help. One of the main difficulties faced by physicians is the fact that pain can be provoked by a whole complex of causes or have different roots that require careful diagnosis to establish the correct diagnosis. In addition, patients who treat pain in the ankle joint are inclined to delay the procedure of applying to the therapist as much as possible, being in the doctor's office only with strong, sharp pain sensations.
The most frequent complaints of patients who can somewhat ease the diagnosis are complaints of pain at the time of movement, swelling, inflammation, increased local epithelial temperature in the ankle, the presence of a crunch, and reduced mobility of the foot joint. All this in the complex is evaluated by medical specialists, allowing them to determine a preliminary diagnosis.
In the presence of pain in the ankle, the patient is subjected to an external examination with palpation, and then prescribed radiography, MRI( magnetic resonance imaging) or CT for the final diagnosis.
Pain in the ankle of the cause of
Unfortunately, patients do not know how serious the causes that cause pain in the ankle can be. To date, medical practice has identified several groups of causes that can cause pain in the ankle, this may be as obvious objective reasons, for example, trauma, or hidden diseases of the musculoskeletal system, endocrine and autoimmune, which are more difficult to diagnose. Reasons why an ankle hurts:
Osteoarthritis - a common cause of pain in the ankle
- Arthritis is a common cause of pain in the ankle. Being a complex autoimmune disease accompanied by inflammation, arthritis, as a rule, affects all joints in the human body. In this case, the ankle joint may be hurt in parallel with the large or small joints of the arms, shoulder girdle, etc. The pain in this case is only an incidental symptom, because arthritis threatens complete degeneration of the hard and soft tissues of the joint, deformation of the foot and subsequent disability. As a rule, in the last stages of arthritis, there is a strong pain in the ankle joint.
- Osteoarthritis is another disease of the musculoskeletal system that causes persistent pain in the ankle. At the first stages of arthrosis, severe pain in the ankle may not be observed. Particularly calms the patient's pain exclusively on one foot, as the arthrosis affects not symmetrically the limbs and their joints. Therefore, patients tend to correlate pain with fatigue, minor injuries, etc., than weighed down the diagnosis and subsequent treatment. In joint arthrosis, severe pain in the ankle arises more in the daytime than in the night, which is more typical for arthritis.
- Gout is another autoimmune disease that can cause very intense, cutting, pricking and sharp pains in the ankle joint. Gout causes inflammation in the joint tissues due to improper removal and excessive deposition of uric acid, salts in tissues. In this case, the joint is severely affected by inflammation and increased local temperature. Patients often come with complaints about pain and swelling of the ankle joint. It is this swelling against the background of severe pain can be the basis for the diagnosis of gout.
- Synovitis is another ailment of the musculoskeletal system, which can lead to a pain symptom complex in the ankle. Synovitis is a disease that affects the synovial bag, with an excessive release of synovial( lubricating) fluid, resulting in edema. In this disease, ankle joints are often ache and swollen.
In this case, pain is only a secondary sign that develops under the influence of a latent disease. In view of the symptomatic picture that is suitable for so many diseases, the diagnosis is usually delayed for weeks and months, the diagnosis may be inaccurate and correct over time, and this is extremely dangerous in the presence of the above diseases. However, pain in the ankle joint can have other reasons, as a rule, more obvious and direct.
Aching the ankle when walking
Sharp pain in the ankle
If the patient is dealing with pain in the ankle when walking, then the doctors immediately consider the options for possible trauma and excessive stress on the foot, which caused pain. This diagnosis examines the likelihood of injury to the joint, the injury can indicate:
- The pain of ligaments in the ankle joint. Bunches perform a stabilizing and fixing function, they fix the joint in anatomically correct position and prevent dislocation and injury of the joint.
Pain of ligaments can indicate a subluxation or full-scale dislocation of the foot during an unsuccessful movement.There may be swelling of the foot. If the ankle joints hurt, the therapist should include in the anamnesis questions about possible injuries( fractures, dislocations, sprains, etc.), which, most likely, the patient experienced.
- Sharp pain in the ankle joint may also indicate trauma. So, the cause of them may be a fracture or a crack, the presence of bone fragments in soft tissues. In this case, sharp pain in the ankle joint can be accompanied by a sensation of crunching, abnormal mobility of the foot, the presence of its deformation.
If the patient has actually experienced a trauma to the foot in recent times and suspects that it is the cause of the pain in the ankle, then you should keep the maximum state of rest, immobilize( immobilize the foot), applying a cold compress to it, drinking anti-inflammatory non-steroid agents( painkillers) and go to a trauma center.
It is important to remember that the main symptom that helps to identify the cause of joint injury is acute pain in the ankle joint, which is not so characteristic for chronic diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
The ankle hurts what to do?
The methods of influencing pain reduction will depend on the causes that cause them. Therefore, therapy should proceed from a clearly defined diagnosis, otherwise, the removal of the pain symptom may not only lead to no results, but also aggravate the situation of the patient who is experiencing a latent form of a serious disease. If the ankle hurts as a result of the injuries received, it is shown:
It is necessary to completely immobilize the foot, to observe the resting mode
- Completely immobilize the foot, to observe the resting regime, to put a tight bandage on the foot at the traumatic point, especially shown with stretches, dislocations or minor subluxationsthe joint;
- Apply gypsum on the foot in case the pain is provoked by a crack or fracture;
- Taking painkillers, using cooling compresses;
- During the rehabilitation period, resort to strengthening muscles, ligaments and tendon exercises. Exercises should be prepared by the exercise physician who will choose the program of optimal loads, which can not cause complications after the traumas experienced.
However, the leg in the ankle may also ache from other diseases, which were considered above, all of them are connected, in one way or another, with disorders in the endocrine, autoimmune and musculoskeletal systems. In this case, therapy assumes a longer course, it includes a set of measures at once and should be systemic. If the pain of the ankle is provoked by arthrosis, arthritis, gout or synovitis, then the following therapeutic measures are recommended:
- Medication. The use of chondroprotectors( especially important in diagnosing arthritis), they restore cartilaginous connective tissues, preventing their degeneration, providing joints with natural mobility and mobility. Receiving the flavors of inflammatory non-steroidal agents( recommended for severe arthritic attacks in the joint, with arthritis and arthrosis).Their function is the removal of inflammatory processes, as well as the removal of severe pain in the ankles.
- Application of ointments with analgesic, anti-inflammatory and cooling effect. Similar can become: fastum gel, voltarengel, emulgel, etc. They have a local decrease in temperature, help restore blood circulation, reduce swelling and redness of the skin.
Complex of therapeutic exercises
- Physiotherapy treatment. It provides for the achievement of a state of remission in chronic diseases such as gout, arthritis or arthrosis, etc. The most effective are: electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, mud, hirudotherapy. They help strengthen muscle tissue, ligaments and tendons. Which support and fix the joint, protecting it from excessive loads. They have a beneficial effect on microcirculation, nerve endings in the joint, preventing further degeneration of the joint.
- Complex of therapeutic exercises, it is prescribed depending on the type of illness that provoked the pain. Therefore, the exercises can vary widely, but in general, their task remains to maintain normal muscle tone, achieving elasticity of ligaments and tendons.
Thus, a single answer to the question: why aching ankle joints, no. And only complex diagnostics can help to establish the cause and predict the further development of a symptomatic picture in the patient. Therefore it is important to contact the doctor in time.This entry was posted in the Ankle.
Ankle pain |All about joints
Treatment of the ankle
Arthritis of the ankle - a painful condition. How does it differ from other painful conditions of the ankle joint? What causes arthritis of the ankle and what is the best choice for treatment?
Arnica Mountain( Arnica Montana). .. the next 48 hours after its reception! Now I feel great. "Descending the stairs, the woman slipped and severely damaged ankle th joint .A compress was applied to the sore spot from the arnica and the pain on the joint ceased the next day, but the whole of her foot was covered. ..
all on this topic
Treatment of the ankle
The first step in reducing pain associated with any arthritic condition is to reduce inflammation. The use of cold therapy can be of considerable help in minimizing the pain in the ankle. Also, anti-inflammatory therapy is often used( consult your doctor about medications).If the drugs are not effective, injections of cortisone may be prescribed.
Reducing stress on the joint is another measure of inflammation control. It may be necessary to use auxiliary aids such as crutches or a cane in cases of significant pain. In addition, in order to control soreness and swelling of the joint, it is recommended to avoid activity that can cause him pain.
The choice of shoes is extremely important in the matter of controlling the stress of the foot and ankle. Although most may think that the choice of shoes and insoles, allowing the foot to absorb, would be the best option. In fact, as a rule, on the contrary. Due to the fact that soft shoes and insole help to increase the volume of movement in the foot and shin, this choice can even increase joint pain and inflammation. Rather, footwear and insoles providing stability are often the best choice.
Another related aspect that minimizes pain in the ankle joint is weight loss. In general, overweight people have more pressure on the joint than people with less weight. Thus, whether it is a knee, hip or ankle arthritis, a decrease in body weight will help reduce tension and pain in the joint.
Another side of conservative treatment is the use of arthritic additives. Although studies of the effectiveness of articular additives in respect of ankle arthritis in particular, there have been few, there is evidence that such additives can help in other forms of arthritis( including knee and hip arthritis).Thus, for those who can not or do not want to take medicines, supplements can be a real alternative.
Physiotherapy can be of great help in reducing pain and restoring the functions associated with arthritis of the ankle. Frequencies such as ultrasound, fluid therapy, cold therapy and hydromassage can help speed healing and reduce inflammation.
Manual mobilization of the joint is also useful in restoring normal mobility in the joint. Arthritis can affect the normal sliding of articular surfaces, leading to a decrease in the volume of movements. Mobilization of the joint can help restore normal joint mechanics.
Exercises can also play a key role in minimizing joint pain. Our muscles work like shock absorbers. Thus, increasing the strength of the muscles around the joint helps reduce the strain of the ankle.
If you like walks, but you can not tolerate them because of the pain, water exercises can be a good choice. Walking in the water will help to provide the ankle with the necessary movement without the need to maintain body weight. In addition, the use of an exercise bike will also help provide the necessary load without pressure weight.
Surgical treatment of the ankle
Surgical treatment should be considered only in cases of significant pain in the ankle and when conservative treatment has not yielded results. As before any operation, it is recommended to get acquainted with several opinions. Surgical intervention for ankle arthritis is not common to all. In the event that the operation is justified, the main surgical options are the ankle arthroplasty, or its fusion.
Arthritis of the ankle is similar to other arthritic conditions. Symptoms specific to the ankle may include pain in the ankle during walking and climbing the stairs, pain when wearing or removing shoes and toes, and rare symptoms of clicking or snagging. As the inflammation increases, redness and swelling may appear. In neglected arthritic conditions, a loss of normal volume of motion can also be observed.
Symptoms of arthritis of the ankle are not always constant. Often people may experience "good" and "bad" days. Sometimes, there is a fine line between a sufficient number of movements and activity that allow the joint to be lubricated, and the excess movement that creates joint inflammation.
Causes of arthritis of the ankle
Arthritis of the ankle, although less often than knee osteoarthritis and hip osteoarthritis, but nonetheless happens. Weight-bearing joints are more prone to developing arthritis than non-carriers.
Similar to the development of other arthritic conditions, the earlier ones may increase the likelihood of developing arthritis of the ankle. Previous ankle fractures can disrupt articular cartilage, leading to increased wear of the joint. Ankle sprains can also lead to joint instability, leading to an increase in transverse force through the joint surface.
Foot mechanics can also play a role in increasing tension on the foot and lower leg. The punctured leg is much more malleable and therefore can create more pressure on the foot and ankle, especially in obese people or dealing with cases that put pressure on the ankle.
Ankle joint consists of four main bones: tibial, peroneal, talus and calcaneus. Joining the tibial and fibular bones with the talus, form a talocrural joint. This is the articulation most people consider an ankle. This joint allows the foot to move up and down. Another articulation is formed between the talus bone from above and the calcaneus from below. This is a subtalar joint and it makes possible movement of the joint from side to side. Together, these joints also allow you to sponge and munch the ankle.
Like all joints, each bone is covered with a thin layer of cartilage, called articular cartilage. Damage to this cartilage can expose the underlying bone, causing inflammation of the joint. This inflammation of the joint is what is called arthritis.
- Arthritis of the ankle is an inflammatory condition that occurs due to wear or damage to the articular cartilage.
- Typical symptoms include ankle pain, swelling, decreased movement volume, and functional limitations when walking and climbing the stairs.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs, cold therapy and injections are common methods of treatment.
- The choice of shoes is important in reducing the tension in the ankle joint.
- Weight loss can help reduce ankle pain associated with arthritis.
- Arthritis supplements can be a reasonable choice to minimize pain in arthritis of the ankle.
- Physiotherapy can help in reducing inflammation, restoring the volume of movements, and increasing the strength of the ankle and its functioning.
- Only in significant cases, when conservative therapy has not yielded results, surgical treatment should be considered.
Read more on the ankle, the joint: