The truth about the treatment of arthrosis of the ankle, the causes and symptoms of the disease
If you often turn your legs, do not think that this will pass without a trace. After a while, these injuries, which seem random and frivolous, lead to serious problems. What happens to our ankles? Is there an effective treatment or can all end up in disability?
This joint connects the shin and the talus of the foot. The articular parts of the bones are covered with cartilage. The ankle allows us to bend the foot up and down, for lateral movements it is not intended, so when the legs are tucked and damaged. The joint is strengthened by muscles and ligaments, which also suffer from trauma. The ankle joint is a very heavy load - the weight of our whole body. And despite the fact that all these factors often provoke arthrosis of the ankle - treatment is very successful when the patient starts it on time and faithfully fulfills all the doctor's prescriptions.
With usual walking on the ankle, the
has a very high load. Causes of
As we have already seen, frequent joint trauma leads to the development of arthrosis. When the nerve roots are jammed in the lumbar spine, the muscles of the shins and feet are disturbed. Infringement is facilitated by osteochondrosis and herniated intervertebral discs, sprains and loosening of ligaments, intra-articular fractures, dysplasia. Also, common metabolic diseases( diabetes mellitus, gout, thyroid disease) and inflammatory joint diseases( especially rheumatoid arthritis) can lead to the development of arthrosis. There is an opinion that heredity affects its role.
Risk factor for women - constant walking on high heels. Also, the risk of developing arthrosis is affected by people who carry heavy loads on the ankle, which can be associated with a profession or playing sports - these are ballerinas, football players, runners. Suffer these joints and from excessive weight - for them this is an excessive load.
Under the influence of the above reasons, cartilage begins to age, thin out, lose plasticity. Gradually, they appear cracks in which calcium salts are deposited - they even more destroy cartilage. Bone tissue proliferates, osteophytes are formed, which leads to joint deformation - in this case they already speak of deforming arthrosis.
If the disease is detected in the initial stages of development, deformities can be avoided, and the progression of the disease can be greatly slowed down or stopped altogether.
Photos: women who often walk on their heels are at risk
How does arthrosis of the ankle show up?
The main symptoms of the disease:
- "starting" pain, appearing at the beginning of the movement after rest;
- pains worse with loads;
- pains arising in the morning;
- crunching in the joints, creaking, clicks;
- post-traumatic arthrosis causes pain when walking and rapid fatigue;
- frequent subluxations due to weakening of muscles and tendons;
- if arthrosis develops against the backdrop of inflammatory processes - joints can be swollen and hot to the touch;
- restriction of movement in the joints, stiffness;
- atrophy of nearby muscles;
- curvature of the shank axis: it can take an O-shape or an X-shape.
The results of the examination will be diagnosed and appropriate treatment will be prescribed.
If you do not contact a doctor in time, the heavier processes begin in the joints of the foot. The pain will intensify, and the beginning of the movement will stop relieving them. Discomfort becomes permanent, joints express the stiffness and limitation of mobility.
At the next stage of the development of the disease, the joint is deformed. And in the most neglected cases the joint is completely destroyed, which leads to disability.
Treatment of ankle arthrosis depends on the stage of the disease. Early treatment of specialists suggests traditional conservative treatment - medication, physiotherapy, exercise therapy - at which the desired results are almost always achieved.
Initially, with the help of manual procedures, the joint is returned to its natural position and fixed. Painful joints should be extremely relieved, reducing the length of walking. It is important to get rid of excess weight( if it is).
One of the primary tasks at the initial stage of therapy is the removal of pain and inflammation. For this, analgesics( anesthetics) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used. Also used are products that improve the nutrition of tissues and strengthen bone tissue.
Very effective use of glucosaminoglycans - substances that are an integral part of our cartilage, which is lost with the development of arthrosis. Glucosaminoglycans are obtained from the cartilaginous tissue of animals. Sometimes cysticosteroid hormones are injected into the joint. To improve blood circulation, biostimulants are used.
Physiotherapeutic procedures have analgesic effect, dilate blood vessels, improve metabolism in the body and raise immunity. In the therapy of arthrosis used: magnetotherapy, massage, acupuncture, UHF, exercise therapy.
Excellent results are provided by balneotherapy: in the absence of contraindications, hydrogen sulphide and radon baths, therapeutic muds are used. After a sanatorium treatment in many patients, there is a long-term remission, in which even the need for medicines may even disappear.
For joints it is very useful to be in the water: swimming, aqua aerobics, therapeutic baths
Only the attending physician, considering all the features of the patient, can correctly decide how to treat arthrosis. If the disease is at the third stage and the joint is already destroyed, they resort to surgery:
- An arthrodesis is an operation in which the cartilage remains removed and an artificial "closure" of the joint, i.e., immobilization, is performed.
- With arthroplasty it is possible to save the joint.
- It is possible to perform an endoprosthesis replacement - a complete replacement of the joint with a prosthesis.
Do not bring your health to extremes, take care of your joints and be healthy!
How to cure arthrosis of the ankle joint: advice to the patient
Arthrosis of the ankle is a chronic progressive disease that is not easily treatable. But now there are effective medicines that can reduce pain in this disease, reduce the level of inflammation and slow the progression of the disease.
If you know what medicinal and non-medicinal methods you can treat arthrosis of the ankle, then you can discuss with the doctor these methods of treatment, feeling sufficiently savvy in this area.
Fast navigation for the article:
Rapid action drugs
Local and anti-inflammatory treatment
Drugs of slow action( chondroprotectors)
Surgical treatment methods
All medications used in this disease are divided into two large groups: fast-acting medications and preparations of delayedactions.
Representatives of these groups have different effects on the disease and benefit the body. So, fast-acting drugs treat only the symptoms of the disease - reduce pain in the ankle joint. Slow-acting drugs restrain the progression of ankle arthrosis, i.e.partially stop the further course of the disease.
Rapid action drugs
Most drugs that reduce pain in deforming ankle arthroarthrosis belong to the group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs).These include drugs such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, aceclofenac, naproxen, acetaminophen, nimesudide and other drugs.
These medicines quite well help to remove pain in the joints, but their use has its drawbacks, and very significant. The fact is that NSAIDs have a very negative effect on the gastric mucosa. With long-term administration of such drugs, gastritis may occur, and in some cases even ulcer, which in the future may not respond well to treatment.
It is for these reasons that non-steroid pain medications should be taken only by short courses and appointed by the attending physician: self-medication can result in bad consequences. This is particularly true for elderly patients, as well as for people who have or have had problems with the stomach in the past.
Local and anti-inflammatory treatment
Local treatment in the ankle area is aimed at reducing the level of inflammation in the affected joint, and therefore indirectly reducing the progression of the disease while keeping the inflammation under control. Such treatment is especially important in cases when the use of NSAIDs in severe cases of the disease is no longer effective or the analgesic effect is not sufficient. Local treatment is useful for a variety of types of the disease - including post-traumatic arthrosis of the ankle joint.
ointments for pain - a necessary element of treatment
Local treatment includes the use of various ointments and gels containing in their composition both non-steroidal and steroid anesthetic components. These drugs include Diclofenac-ointment, Bystrum-gel, Dip-Relief, Butadion, gel "Horsepower" and others. They give a good curative effect, especially when combined with other drugs.
Another, the most important type of local treatment of ankle joint osteoarthritis is intraarticular joint blockade. This method of treatment is used in neglected cases of the disease, especially when other painkillers do not help enough.
The essence of this procedure is that anti-inflammatory drugs( corticosteroids) such as Kenalog and hydrocortisone are injected into the joint by injections( in addition, injections can be supplemented with anesthetic drugs).
Corticosteroids are powerful enough drugs, and if administered in the form of tablets or intramuscularly, they will give very strong side effects. If these drugs are injected into the joint area, these drugs exert their anti-inflammatory effect only on the joint, without causing harm to the body.
Drugs of slow action( chondroprotectors)
This group of drugs includes drugs that affect the very bases of the disease: they help the cartilage of the joint to recover and improve the synthesis of cartilaginous tissue, a deficiency that causes pain and movement in the ankle. These drugs are called chondroprotectors because they protect the joint and restore it from the consequences caused by the disease.
The main representatives of chondroprotectors are chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine and hyaluronic acid. These are the main active substances in such drugs, and they are in different combinations and doses present in such drugs as Arthra, Teraflex, Artrodarin( Diacerein), Structum, Aflutop and others.
The listed active substances of these drugs are included in the joint of the cartilaginous tissue and are essentially the main "building material" for the cartilage. When they are introduced into the body of the necessary materials for the construction of new cartilaginous tissue becomes larger, and the synthesis of cartilage is accelerated, due to which the development of the disease, on the contrary, slows down and the cartilage of the ankle joint is destroyed more slowly.
The peculiarity of chondroprotectors is that the effect of treatment does not appear immediately, but after a rather long time - from 3 months to 6 months. This is worth remembering, so be patient. For the same reason, the duration of treatment with chondroprotectors is usually long and up to 12 months or more, up to several years.
In addition, chondroprotective drugs are prescribed only at the first-second degree of arthrosis of the ankle joint - when cartilage in the affected joints is still present. At the third stage of arthrosis, chondroprotectors are useless, becauseThere was practically no cartilage left in the joint and there was already nothing to restore.
Do not forget that such drugs should be taken only on the prescription of the attending physician. You should not take these medications yourself: it can not only do you no good, but it will completely empty your wallet, since the cost of chondroprotectors is high enough: one package of Arthra will cost you between 1200 and 1700 rubles.
If the chondroprotectors are prescribed by a physician according to the indications, then for a long-term treatment these drugs can effectively fight the disease and significantly improve the function of the joint, and in some cases even avoid surgical treatment.
How can I treat arthrosis of the ankle joint? Physiotherapy can be a good help in drug treatment of this disease. Correctly selected physiotherapeutic procedures allow not only to improve the condition of the affected joint, but also to reduce the amount of pain medication. In osteoarthritis, such physiotherapy procedures as laser therapy, magnetotherapy, radon baths, and SUF irradiation have proved to be well established. More details about these methods can be found in the article Physiotherapy for arthrosis.
Surgical methods of treatment
To date, there are three main surgical methods of treatment: arthroscopy, arthrodesis and arthroplasty of the ankle.
Therapeutic sanation arthroscopy
This procedure is carried out most often in 2 stages of the development of the disease with severe pain, which is poorly treated with medications. With the help of an arthroscope, the doctor removes fragments of the destroyed cartilage, bony outgrowths and other elements that cause pain from the joint cavity. After carrying out such procedure pains are considerably reduced, and the effect from it can last till several years.
The creation of arthrodesis is an operation in which the ankle joint is removed, and the bones coalesce, that is, the mobility in the ankle region ceases. And once the joint is no more, then there are no pains in it either.
In case of defeat with arthrosis of other large joints, such an operation has not been performed for a long time. But due to the fact that the ankle joint consists of a large number of bones, then when removing this joint, its work is taken on by other joints, and a certain mobility of the foot due to this is preserved.
This is the most modern and progressive operation taking place in the final stages of the development of the disease. During this operation, the articular surfaces of the bones are replaced by metal, ceramic or plastic dentures. Due to the high strength and reliability of such prostheses, the term of their work can be up to 20-25 years. After such an operation, movement in the joint is restored in full.
In order to avoid surgical treatment, contact your doctor as soon as possible. Than in earlier terms you seek help and begin to receive the necessary treatment, the easier it will be to develop the disease and the less unpleasant it will bring to you.
Deforming arthrosis of the ankle: causes, symptoms and treatment
The term osteoarthritis designates the pathology of the joint, which is accompanied by damage to the cartilage and its premature destruction. In the process, as a rule, bone tissue, ligaments, articular membrane and muscles are also involved. Osteoarthrosis is more likely in women aged 45-55 years, with the total number of people suffering from it is about 15%.Osteoarthritis of the ankle is not the most typical form of this disease, but it occupies one of the first places in terms of the severity of impaired motor function.
Three main causes of deforming arthrosis of the ankle:
Injuries are the most common cause.
Congenital malformation of the formation of joint tissues( dysplasia).
Chronic inflammation, which leads to the development of secondary osteoarthritis( that is, arose against a background of another pathology).
In addition to the direct causes of the disease, several risk factors can be identified:
- hereditary and congenital diseases of bones and connective tissue, genetic mutations in DNA;
- external environmental influences( hypothermia, intoxications, operations on joints, their chronic microtrauma);
- metabolic disorders and deficiency of certain vitamins and elements in the diet;
- changes in the function of endocrine organs and the synthesis of hormones, including during menopause in women.
Symptoms of the disease
One of the characteristic symptoms of deforming arthrosis of the ankle is pain that increases with exercise, during walking or playing sports, and decreases in a calm state. At night, the pain can become aching and dull, which is associated with stagnation of venous blood in the collapsing bone tissue. In the morning, when you get up, usually there is an intense, sharp, so-called starting pain, which then gradually decreases - it arises from the friction of the deformed articular surfaces against each other.
Stiffness and limitation of mobility with deforming osteoarthritis are usually associated with the presence in the joint cavity of the destroyed fragments of cartilage and bone tissue. For the same reason, wedging of the limb may occur in certain positions.
With concomitant inflammation, redness, swelling and an increase in skin temperature in the ankle area are possible. As arthrosis progresses, bone tissue proliferation occurs, which leads to deformation and even greater functional changes.
On the picture deformed right ankle
Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the ankle is aimed at:
- elimination of the cause of it,
- relief of the symptoms of the disease,
- slowing down the processes of destruction of cartilage and bone tissue.
The first thing to do in treatment is to reduce the burden on the affected joint by reducing body weight, restricting physical activity and prolonged walking. In severe cases, temporary use of a crutch or walking stick is allowed.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( NSAIDs) are most often used from medications. They reduce pain and eliminate signs of inflammation, but do not affect the immediate cause of osteoarthritis. Use them can be in the form of ointments, gels or tablets. Since this group can destroy the gastric mucosa - with prolonged use it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Local remedies in the form of ointments, gels on the basis of NSAIDs are widely used in the treatment of
disease. In the early stages of the disease, drugs that restore the cartilage structure - chondroprotectors can be effective. Perhaps their intra-articular injection, along with glucocorticosteroid hormones.
Physiotherapy treatment is aimed at restoring mobility in the ankle joint, improving its nutrition and blood supply. Most often with arthrosis apply:
- UHF therapy,
- laser irradiation,
- electrophoresis with a variety of medications( novocaine, analgin),
- applications of warm paraffin.
In the treatment of arthrosis is very important exercise therapy, which should be done daily
To strengthen the ligament apparatus with deforming osteoarthritis, orthopedists are prescribed therapeutic gymnastics. Here are some useful exercises for the ankle:
Starting position: lying on the back, both legs are relaxed. It is necessary to turn the feet on and off with minimal amplitude without sharp movements.
In the same position, rotate the stops one by one clockwise and counterclockwise.
Sitting on a low stool perform an imitation of walking, lowering and picking up the heels and socks.
Stand with his toes on a small raised platform, lower his heels below him, and then climb to his toes. In this case it is desirable to stick to something to avoid losing balance.
Do not squat deeply, without taking off socks and heels off the floor. Knees should be pointed straight ahead.
To achieve and preserve the therapeutic effect, exercises should be performed daily at least three times a day.
In severe cases with significant deformation and proliferation of bone tissue resort to surgical methods of treatment. Unlike the hip and knee joints - ankle prosthesis is extremely rare. Much more often perform the usual mechanical removal of excess tissue.
Traditional Therapy Methods
Treatment of deforming ankle arthrosis folk methods can be effective in the initial stages of the disease: it helps reduce pain and inflammatory changes. At home, you can prepare several types of ointments:
- Soak and grind rice, mix it with petroleum jelly and tie it overnight.
- Mix two tablespoons of hops and St. John's wort, 50 g of lanolin. The resulting cream is well rubbed into the affected areas.
- Wormwood powder, olive oil and glycerin heat on a water bath, insist 2 days, and then strain. Ointment should be stored in the refrigerator and lubricate the patient joint every morning and evening.
Recipes for oral decoction:
- Cowberry leaf insist on boiling water for 30 minutes, take 30 ml before meals.
- 10 g of bay leaf mixed with a liter of water and heated for 15 minutes, drink the resulting broth in small sips for three days.
- A mixture of garlic and olive oil in a ratio of 1 to 10 can be taken in a teaspoonful of bread before breakfast.
Remember that with the untimely begun treatment of arthrosis of the ankle joint, the destruction of cartilage and bone will quickly progress .Therefore, with the first symptoms you need to see a doctor. In addition, it is important to always monitor your health( and not only during illness): control weight and exercise regularly.
It is important to read: osteoarthritis of the knee joint.
How to treat arthrosis of the ankle
Arthrosis of the ankle is a serious disease that is complicated by degenerative processes. Pathology should be started when the first signs appear, otherwise irreversible disturbances in the structure of the connection may occur. Arthrosis is found most often in elderly patients, as well as in young people whose ankle joints are subjected to constant significant loads. The athletes, workers, whose activities are connected with hard physical labor, as well as those who are predisposed to this kind of disease, enter the risk zone.
Since this pathology is considered quite common, many people are concerned about the question: how to treat arthrosis of the ankle joint? There are many answers, but it is important not just to take measures to eliminate the disturbing signs of the disease. To cure arthrosis, it is first of all necessary to influence the factors that provoke its development.
Treatment of arthrosis
If a person begins to worry about pain in the foot, fatigue of the legs and swelling, the first step towards recovery will be a visit to a specialist who will assess the joint condition and prescribe the best therapy.
The first stage of
The specificity of treatment largely depends on the stage of development of the disease. If the patient turned to the doctor in a timely manner, then you can get rid of the painful symptoms in a short time. At this stage, minimal morphological changes in the structure of the compound are observed, therefore such phenomena as pain and swelling occur only after severe physical fatigue.
In most cases, the patient simply needs rest and no load on his legs. When the cause of arthrosis is excess weight, proper nutrition and a special diet will help to reduce weight and, accordingly, to restore the joint. It is also important to wear only comfortable shoes that do not pinch the foot and do not create discomfort. Such actions will help reduce the burden on the lower limb and improve regenerative and metabolic processes in the cartilage fibers.
Therapy of the early stage of arthrosis does not allow the pathology to progress, and in the case of a foot injury it is possible to avoid posttraumatic arthrosis.
The second stage
With the development of the disease in the joints, inflammatory processes begin to occur, which become chronic. Articular cartilage is thinned, open unprotected patches are formed on the bones. The mobility of the foot worsens, the pain becomes more intense and permanent. In the evening there is noticeable puffiness. At this stage, the risk of injury - dislocations and sprains - increases.
Treatment of the second stage of arthrosis includes a set of measures that are aimed at:
- pain relief;
- activation of processes in the joint tissues( blood supply and nutrition);
- return the mobility of the connection.
Several interconnected techniques are used to improve the state of bond structures.
To remove inflammation and to stop pain syndrome it is often possible only with the help of special drugs - NSAIDs( not steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) taken inside. This group includes: Voltaren, Declofenac, Movalis, Ibuprofen, Indomethacin.
Ointments and gels - Finalgon, Declofenac, Fastum-gel , possessing the same properties as NSAIDs are also recognized as effective.
In cases where these drugs do not have the proper effect and the pain does not subside, it is advisable to use glucocorticoids injected into the joint. Drug treatment significantly alleviates the condition, but does not solve the very problem of arthrosis.
To improve metabolic processes in affected tissues, the patient is assigned vasodilators - Agapurin, Nicotinic acid, Pentoxifylline .
Stimulation of the growth of cartilaginous tissue
This method of treatment of pathology contributes to the restoration of cartilaginous fibers. It is based on the use of chondroprotectors - preparations containing natural components - glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate( building material of cartilage).
Despite the fact that the treatment takes a long time( the course lasts several months with short interruptions), the introduction of chondroprojectors gives excellent results and restores the functionality of the joint.
Physiotherapy is actively used for the treatment of arthrosis of the ankle of various etiology and localization. Inflammation is affected by the following procedures:
Arthrosis of the ankle: symptoms, treatment, photo
Symptoms of arthrosis of the ankleIn order not to miss the development of the disease, it is necessary to know the early signs of arthrosis. And so, arthrosis of the ankle is characterized by pain in the affected joint, which can occur after rest, in the morning hours, increasing with loads, as well as symptoms such as:
- crunching, clicks in the joint;
- rapid fatigue when walking due to pain;
- due to the weakening of the muscles and ligaments can occur the usual subluxation of the joint;
- visual deformation of the joint.
- fatigue of the foot with habitual physical exertion, including walking on heels;
- at first the discomfort, then - the pain in the joint that appears during the movements of the foot, disappears at rest or when the joint is fixed with bandages or orthoses;
- crunching or other sounds when moving in the joint is not audible.
DiagnosisThe diagnosis of arthrosis of the ankle joint is made by the traumatologist( if there is a visible connection with the development of the disease after an injury) or a rheumatologist. For this they need:
- to hear complaints;
- ask in detail about the suffered injuries, infections and joint diseases;
- inspect the joint, determine its mobility and volume of movements;
- to evaluate the radiograph of the joint, performed in two projections( at the initial stages it is possible to recommend computer tomography of the joint);
- the presence of fluid in the joint with the attachment of synovitis can be determined by ultrasound.
Treatment of arthrosis of the ankleFor arthrosis of the ankle joint conservative and surgical treatment is used, the choice depends on the stage of the disease. Conservative treatment should be carried out in a complex, and consist of medical treatment, exercise therapy, physiotherapy, complementary therapies. Consider them in order. As a drug therapy apply:
- 1) Drugs that anesthetize and eliminate inflammation: "Diclofenac", "Indomethacin", "Nimesulide."If the first stage of arthrosis drugs can be used even in the form of ointments or gels, then in the second stage you need to use them in the form of tablets or injections. If a person suffers from gastritis or peptic ulcer, then instead of the listed drugs, either "Movalis" or "Piroxicam" or coxibs are prescribed: "Celebrex", "Rofika".
- 2) Chondroprotectors: Dona, Structum, Arthra. The effect of these drugs is aimed at maintaining the structural integrity of the remaining cartilage. These funds are prescribed only in 1-2 stages of the disease for at least six months.
- 3) To improve the nutrition of the joint used vascular drugs: "Nicotinic acid", "Trental."
- 4) For the relief of pain and inflammation in the joint, hormones can be injected several times: Kenalog, Solu-Medrol, Hydrocortisone.
- 5) Hyaluronic acid preparations are very effective - analogues of natural joint lubrication.
Arthrosis of the ankle: symptoms, causes and treatment
Ankle joint connects the talus of the foot with the shin.the joint has a very heavy and heavy load, because it takes on the weight of our body. It is intended only for performing movements up and down, which is why when the foot is tilted, an ankle injury occurs. Over time, this joint weakens and there is a disease like arthrosis of the ankle joint.
Causes of the disease
Arthrosis can occur not only in the elderly, but also in young people. There are many causes and processes that provoke the development of the disease:
- Frequent dislocations and tucking of the legs can accelerate the development of ankle arthrosis.
- Premature aging and the gradual destruction of tissues leads to the same.
- The deposition of calcium salts.
- Diseases of an exchange nature, such as gout, thyroid disease can affect the formation of this disease.
- Infringement of nerve roots in the lumbar spine.
- Frequent walking on high heels.
Active activity in such sports as ballet, jogging, football and others, increases the burden on the lower limbs, resulting in the development of arthrosis. Excessive whole also increases the burden on the foot, so these people are especially prone to the disease.
Moreover, with significant deposition of calcium salts in the cartilage cracks, osteophytes develop, that is, outgrowths on the bones. As a result of osteophytes, deforming arthrosis of the ankle develops, and this is a very serious disease, which, in the absence of proper treatment, can even lead to disability.
Arthrosis of the ankle: symptoms of
So, arthrosis of the ankle joint of 1 degree arises on healthy cartilage .At the 1st degree of arthrosis, the pains are not so strong and are not able to severely restrict the movement of the patient, they become noticeable when the joint is heavily loaded.
With ankle arthrosis of 2nd degree , the disease develops on cartilage already deformed and has more severe symptoms. In general, the disease has the following series of symptoms:
- Crunch, creak and other unnatural sounds in the ankle when moving.
- Frequent dislocations occurring on the ground of weakened joints.
- Stiffness of movements, especially in the morning.
- In the morning, pain intensifies.
- Also, with heavy loads, there is a lot of pain, depending on the degree and form of the disease.
- The muscles nearest to the ankle are partially or completely atrophied.
- Also, in the presence of the inflammatory process, the ankle joints can be swollen and even hot.
- The shank axis can bend, assuming an X-shape or an O-shape.
- The pain occurs when you go from a state of rest to a state of motion.
If you have one or more symptoms of ankle arthrosis, contact your doctor immediately.
Arthrosis of the Ankle: Treatment of
After a serious examination, the doctor, depending on the degree and form of manifestation of your disease, will determine the further treatment. Do not delay, just go to the surgeon, with the first appearance of pain, because the treatment of arthrosis of the ankle includes a variety of diverse and successfully applied methods.
Let's talk about some of them:
- Manual procedures have a relaxing effect, return it to its natural state and fix it. An important aspect in the treatment is the release of joints from heavy loads, wearing comfortable shoes.
- If you are overweight, you need to make an effort to reduce weight. After all, in this case, the load on the lower limbs will significantly decrease.
- For the removal of pain, analgesics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used.
- It is very important to improve the nutrition of tissues and strengthen the bone tissue, so glycosaminoglycans are widely used - such substances that are contained in the cartilage in the human body. As a result of arthrosis, the content of these substances in the body is significantly reduced.
- Biostimulators are used to improve the blood circulation of the patient.
- Magnetotherapy, massage, acupuncture, therapeutic gymnastics and so on - all this effectively works in the treatment of arthrosis of the ankle, enhancing immunity, strengthening blood circulation, anesthetizing and dilating blood vessels.
Also extremely effective is balneotherapy - a treatment that uses hydrogen sulphide baths, radon baths, and also, therapeutic mud. Balneotherapy can relieve pain for a very long period of time.
Treatment of posttraumatic arthrosis of the ankle should be comprehensive and include all of the above methods. Only in this case it will be successful. Also, a procedure such as the introduction of a synovial fluid prosthesis into the joint, a fluid acting as a lubricant, is very common.
In the case when the arthrosis completely destroyed the joint, the following technologies are used:
- Arthrothesis is an operation in which all the joint remains are removed and the joint is immobilized.
- Arthroplasty is an operation in which the mobility of the ankle can be maintained.
- Endoprosthetics is the replacement of the ankle joint with a prosthesis.
With timely access to the doctor, the treatment of arthrosis of the ankle will pass as soon as possible, and you will get rid of the disease without serious consequences, one of such consequences is deforming arthrosis of the ankle joint, an extremely unpleasant complication.
Deforming arthrosis of the ankle: treatment for
For various reasons, the cartilage grows old and thin, which eventually leads to joint cracks. In such cracks, calcium salts are gradually deposited, the cartilage is even more destroyed. As a result, on the cartilages, osteophytic growths are formed, which lead to deformation of the ankle. Deformation of the joint leads to a very noticeable curvature of the legs, the pain intensifies and becomes intolerable. If you do not seek help from a doctor, deforming arthrosis of the ankle joint will result in complete destruction of the joint and its lack of working capacity. This form of arthrosis also occurs in stages, but the most vivid symptoms are observed already in advanced stages. It is very important to call the doctor on time and not to aggravate the situation.
Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the ankle depends, of course, on the degree of development of the disease in the patient, which the doctor determines by conducting a survey. Treatment will be aimed at increasing the metabolic processes in the joint. It is very important complex treatment, which will be attended by medication, physiotherapy methods and therapeutic exercise. Then treatment will be most effective.
So, if you find the slightest signs of arthrosis of the ankle, be sure to contact the doctor. With this in no case can not stay, otherwise severe complications are inevitable. The sooner you go to the doctor, the easier and faster you will get rid of this ailment.
A good effect gives the passage of a medical course in a sanatorium-resort environment.
The arthrosis is swollen from the arthrosis. During this period, physical exercises are contraindicated. When the swelling is removed( or reduced), you need to force yourself to perform gymnastics.
- Lie on your back with legs outstretched. Stop turning on yourself and in the opposite direction. The amplitude of the movements should be minimal. Exercise should be done relaxed.
- Take the same position. Stop rotating first in one direction, then in the other.
- It is necessary to sit on a chair of such a height that the feet can be completely pressed to the floor. Now it is necessary to "walk", alternately raising and lowering socks and heels.
Exercises are performed slowly, per day several times. You need to start with a few minutes. Daily lessons should last 1-3 hours. Long-term movements and minimal stress on the joints provide a stable therapeutic effect.
For arthrosis of the ankle, it is very important to limit the intake of salt and try to drink more fluids, including diuretics.
From the diet should be excluded from tomatoes, peppers, spinach, sorrel, spicy seasonings. And products containing a lot of potassium, you need to constantly use( dried apricots, bananas, apricots).Approximately 2-3 fruits of dried apricots, apricots or half of the average banana should be eaten before meals for half an hour three times a day. Instead of bananas, you can eat potatoes with skin and without salt. We recommend calcium containing products( especially fermented milk), as well as vitamins B and C.
This diet helps to relieve edema of the joints, facilitate inflammation and accelerate treatment. In the diet should also take into account products that reduce excess weight. This is important for unloading the patient's joint.
In addition, alcohol should be excluded, since it is believed that it provokes the disease.
Folk Pain Relief
Time-proven pain relieving and slowing down inflammatory processes:
- Make compress with cold curd cheese at night.
- In the morning, rub the olive oil into the affected joint.
- Prepare ointment for regular compresses: dry the leaves of hops, St. John's wort and sweet clover( 2 tbsp each) with vaseline( 50 g).All grind into a homogeneous mass.
- On the diseased joint, fix the leaves of burdock( you can mother-and-stepmother).
- To add a large leaf of bitter pepper to the crumbled leaf of aloe, standing for two weeks without water, and crushed pure-bodies( dry - 1 tablespoon, fresh - 2 tablespoons).The mixed compound is filled with water( 0.5 l).For three weeks he insists on daily shaking. Strain. The patient's joint to grind, wrap and go to bed. After half an hour, the pain subsides, and the swelling also decreases.
Complex folk treatment of arthrosis
The following recipes are applied simultaneously.
- Lemons and celery( 500 g each) grind in a meat grinder. To them add honey( 500 g).Stir and refrigerate for 5 days. Eat a tablespoon of the mixture 15 minutes before eating. Three times a day. Break for two weeks and repeat everything.
- Ground roots of rose hips( 100 g) are poured with vodka( 0.5 l), insisted for 21 days. Use a tablespoon of tincture for 15 minutes before eating. Three times a day. Break for two weeks and repeat everything.
- At the very beginning you should take the first train. Then add the tincture when it is ready. Between the first and second means a break takes 15 minutes.
- Preparation of two compresses. Compress 1. Prepare: seeds of a mint( 1 tablespoon), balm and heather( 4 tbsp.), Oregano and peppermint( 3 tbsp each).Herbs( 3 tbsp.) Pour with boiling water( 200 ml), wrap and insist the night. In the morning, the composition is filtered and wrung out. Mix with a tincture of black poplar( one glass).For this tincture, ground poplar buds( 50 g) are poured with vodka( 0.5 L) and infused for two weeks. Compress 2. Dry herbs: mother-and-stepmother, St. John's wort, plantain( 1 tbsp.) Grind in a coffee grinder. Combine with pharmacy turpentine( 1 tbsp.) And internal pork fat( 100 g).All the mix and hold in a warm oven for two hours, then still insist in the warmth of the night.
Compresses to put on the sick joint for the night in turn, every other day. The period is two weeks.
As a rule, arthrosis of the ankle joint proceeds gently. Strong movement restrictions appear rarely. However, when symptoms of this disease appear, you should immediately begin its complex treatment.