Osteoarthrosis of the ankles: causes, diagnosis, prevention, treatment
The moving bone joint between the foot and lower leg during walking experiences loads exceeding the body weight by 7 times. Unpleasant impact on him and lifting weights, prolonged being in a standing position, overweight. These loads can lead to the development of such a serious pathology, as osteoarthritis of the ankles. Consider what kind of ailment, what is provoked and how to deal with it.
Characteristics of the disease
Osteoarthritis of the ankles is a common ailment. According to statistics, this pathology is diagnosed in 80% of people aged 50-60 years.
During life on joints, there are heavy loads, about which the person, while the joints do not bother him, does not even think about it. However, they trigger the mechanism of aging. This process destroys the fibers in the joints. In healthy joints, loss is made up by the synthesis of new ones.
But if the balance between destruction and recovery is violated, then osteoarthritis begins to develop. The cartilage becomes brittle, it becomes dry. The ankle joint swells and hurts. He is no longer capable of withstanding loads. Over time, its destruction occurs. However, the changes concern not only the cartilage. They affect the bone beneath it.
Outgrowths begin to grow at the edge of the joint. They seem to compensate for the loss of cartilage with enlarged articular surfaces. This is how the deforming osteoarthritis of the ankle develops.
Causes of the disease
Pathology can provoke a variety of factors. And most often the disease occurs as a result of a combination of several reasons.
The main factors that provoke osteoarthritis of the ankle joints are:
- Aging. The cartilage becomes less elastic with age, it loses its ability to resist loads.
- Congenital pathology. The weakness of the connective tissue often causes the development of flat feet. If you do not comply with a certain regimen, at a young age you may experience arthrosis.
- Genetic predisposition. This fact is scientifically proven.
- Injuries. Dangerous as one-time severe injuries, as well as permanent micro-traumas. The latter are often provoked by the characteristics of a profession or sports. Thus, dancers often have osteoarthritis of ankle joints.
- Associated ailments. Disrupted metabolism, endocrine pathologies can lead to the development of the disease. Most pathology occurs in patients with diabetes mellitus, obese people, atherosclerosis, thyroid disease.
Stages of pathology
On the progression of the disease, several degrees of the disease are distinguished:
- Osteoarthritis of the 1st degree. This is the beginning of the disease. Significant damage to cartilaginous tissue is not observed. The junction looks quite normal. Visual changes are not visible. However, the process of destruction has already started. Cartilage lacks nutrients. As a result, his cells begin to die off gradually. Suffer and adjacent tissue. The person is experiencing some pain.
- Osteoarthrosis of the ankle joint of 2nd degree. In this case, unpleasant manifestations are already more pronounced. The patient experiences severe discomfort. The pain is regular. Sometimes it does not even stop. There is deformation of the joint. X-ray confirms that irreversible processes have occurred. Bone tissues have grown far beyond the joint.
- Osteoarthritis of the third degree - deforming. With this pathology, changes are visible even to the naked eye. Cartilages, ligaments, articular bags are very much struck. As a result, the ankle is deformed.
Symptoms of the disease
All manifestations that occur with this disease depend on the degree of pathology. Over time, such symptoms are aggravated.
For the pathology the following manifestations are characteristic:
- Pain syndrome. The discomfort gradually builds up. Initially, a person experiences pain only while walking, running, playing sports. At rest, unpleasant symptoms completely disappear. With the progression of the disease, discomfort occurs even at night. He is noisy and does not allow a person to rest easy. The ankle joint swells and hurts. In the future, discomfort occurs even in the morning. A man can not step on his foot calmly.
- Limited mobility of the joint, stiffness of movements.
- The extremity is clamped in one position.
- Together with the swelling, the temperature in the painful area can increase. This symptomatology characterizes the acute stage of the disease.
- Deformation of the joint.
- A person can not step on his foot. A clear symptom that characterizes this pathology.
disease Only complex therapy is used to combat such pathology as osteoarthritis of the ankle joint.
Treatment includes the following activities:
- Massage. It allows you to get rid of painful spasms, improves blood circulation, stimulates the transmission of impulses. As a result, cartilage receives better nutrition.
- Physiotherapy. Soft methods are assigned. May be recommended: magnetotherapy, electrophoresis with "Dimexide", laser therapy, EHF-therapy.
- LFK training. This is an obligatory condition for comprehensive rehabilitation.
- Orthopedic aids. They can significantly reduce the load on the damaged joint. The patient can be recommended wearing orthopedic shoes or a special instep.
Along with such therapy, medication is prescribed:
- NSAIDs. To relieve inflammation and reduce pain, drugs are recommended: Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Movalis, Ibuprofen.
- Anti-inflammatory ointments. Benefits will be brought by medicines: Fastum-gel, Dolgit-cream, Diclofenac-gel, Revmagel, Erazon.
- Intra-articular introduction. To quickly relieve the patient's pain, they inject directly into the articulation preparations: Kenalog, Diprospan, Depo-Medrol, Celeston.
- Chondroprotectors. Such drugs can be taken in the form of tablets: "Structum", "Don".Medicines for intramuscular injections: Rumalon, Alflutop. For intra-articular injection, medicines "Alflutop", "Traumeel", "Target T" are used.
This treatment is very popular. However, it should be understood that it will benefit only in complex therapy. In addition, its effectiveness can be calculated if the ankle joint is not started osteoarthritis.
Folk remedies are often used as follows:
- The rice must be grinded and pre-soaked. Mix it with petroleum jelly. Such a slurry is recommended to be applied to the affected joint at night.
- Take 10 g of bay leaves. Pour 1 tbsp.boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes. This broth should be drunk all day in small sips. It excels from toxins, slags and salts. Duration of admission can be from 2 weeks to 1 month. After a break, you can repeat the therapy.
Prevention of the disease
To protect your body from the development of pathology, doctors recommend adhering to the recommendations:
- Keep track of your weight.
- Provide the body with proper nutrition.
- Be sure to perform physical exercises( they should be selected with an orthopedist).
- Choose the right shoes( prolonged walking on high heels is unacceptable).
And most importantly, promptly consult a doctor. After all, the pathology discovered in the early stages can be suspended.
What is arthrosis of the 1st degree of the ankle joint?
The pathology of the musculoskeletal system occupies a special place in the overall structure of the incidence of the population. Most often affected joints. Each joint performs a certain function, participates in the movement of one or another part of the body. Many joints experience heavy loads and are most susceptible to trauma. These include the ankle joint. He connects the shin with the talus bone of the foot. Often in medical practice, a disease such as arthrosis of the 1st degree of the ankle joint is diagnosed. The cause of this ailment in most cases is trauma. Synonyms for arthrosis are osteoarthrosis and deforming arthrosis. Osteoarthritis of the ankle is of great social importance. This is due to the fact that the disease occurs at any age and it can lead to a person's disability. In addition, arthrosis requires long-term treatment, which causes significant financial costs. Of great importance is the fact that arthrosis at a late stage severely limits a person's ability to work, which causes economic damage to the state. It is necessary to consider in more detail what the etiology, clinic and treatment of this pathology are.
Characteristics of arthrosis of the ankle
Not everyone knows the definition of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative-dystrophic process that develops in the joints, resulting from a change in the structure of the cartilaginous tissue. Arthrosis of the ankle joint can occur both in young people and in the elderly. Arthrosis of 1 degree and 2 degrees is less severe. Tens of millions of people suffer from this disease all over the world. It is interesting that the incidence of arthrosis of the ankle sharply increases with age. There are also some sex differences in the level of morbidity. It is established that among the elderly women are most affected, whereas at a young age, men suffer.
Osteoarthritis is a group of diseases that have different causes, but a similar pathogenesis and clinical manifestations. Almost always, osteoarthritis provokes deformation of bone tissue. The pathogenesis of an ankle is quite simple. With a high load, the state of the cartilaginous tissue is disturbed. In a healthy person, the cartilaginous plate possesses great elasticity and is quickly restored upon deformation. With osteoarthritis, the cartilage loses strength, becomes dry and rough.
Deformation occurs due to the growth of bone tissue. Then an inflammation of the joint capsule takes place, fluid begins to accumulate. In addition, the food of the cartilaginous tissue worsens, because the composition of the synovial fluid changes. This disease with time can progress, with arthrosis of the ankle joint of the first stage can pass into the second, then into the third.
Etiology of the disease
Osteoarthrosis of the ankle joint can develop for various reasons. Depending on the etiology, the primary and secondary forms of pathology are distinguished. If the etiologic factor is not established, then we are talking about primary arthrosis. Most often in medical practice, there is a secondary form of the disease. In this situation, the main etiological factors are:
- traumatic ankle injury;
- pathology of metabolism;
- endocrine diseases;
- other diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
- physical illness.
Often an ankle is affected due to tuberculosis of bones, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus. In this case, arthrosis is one of the manifestations of the disease or its complication. It is necessary to know that the cause of the disease can be congenital pathology of the joint( dysplasia).This disease is characterized by a violation of biomechanics, which is the starting mechanism for the development of osteoarthritis.
Arthrosis of the ankle is very often formed against the background of the inflammatory process. This occurs when there is an autoimmune or infectious pathology. In the latter case, an important role is played by various microorganisms( streptococci, staphylococci).In some cases, the cause of pathology of the ankle joint is syphilis, tick-borne encephalitis, gonorrhea. Osteoarthritis of the ankle is formed not without the participation of predisposing factors. These include overweight, elderly age, genetic factors, the type of professional activity, sports activity.
Clinical manifestations at 1st degree of arthrosis
The ankle injury occurs in several stages. The first is the easiest and does not bring much discomfort to the sick person. Arthrosis of stage 1 is characterized by the fact that the function of the synovial membrane is impaired. At this stage, the biochemical composition of the synovial fluid that changes the cartilage tissue can change. In the future, this affects the metabolic processes and the state of cartilage. With a high load, the ankle function may be impaired. This causes pain and can lead to an inflammation of the ankle joint. If the third stage has distinct X-ray changes in the affected area, then at stage 1 they are absent or not pronounced strongly.
Arthrosis joint of the 2nd degree differs in that gradually the cartilage begins to break down. In the process, bone tissue is involved. This contributes to the formation of osteophytes. They are marginal bony outgrowths. At 2 degrees of the disease muscles often suffer. Their trophy is broken. If there is a 2 degree disease is very difficult to stop. Almost always the second stage of ankle arthrosis passes into the third. For 3 degrees, deformation of bone tissue, shortening of the ligamentous apparatus is characteristic. All this leads to impaired motor activity. At grade 3 chronic pain syndrome is observed.
Diagnosis of osteoarthritis includes three main components: anamnesis of the disease and life of the patient, the results of external examination and data of instrumental research. The presence of a second degree of disease indicates the need for drug therapy. Anamnesis of the disease is of great importance for setting the right diagnosis. Complaints of the patient with osteoarthritis may include morning stiffness, pain syndrome, restriction of movement. All this is typical for osteoarthritis of the ankle joint of the 2nd degree or the third degree.
At 1 stage of the patient can not bother. The final diagnosis is made on the basis of X-ray examination of the affected area. It is able to detect narrowing of the joint gap, deformation, subluxations, the presence of osteophytes. All these signs can be determined at 2 or 3 stages of the disease. It must be remembered that when the first symptoms of the disease appear, you need to see a doctor. It is known that osteoarthritis tends to progress. In the absence of adequate therapy, the first degree can go to the second, and then to the third. The outcome of osteoarthritis is the destruction of the ankle joint and the formation of ankylosis( immobility).All this testifies that medical measures should be conducted as soon as possible.
Treatment of osteoarthritis at the first stage is carried out by conservative methods. At 2 and 3 stages often resort to an operative measure. To avoid the progression of pathology and ankylosis, endoprosthetics are performed. This is the most effective method of treatment.
At the first stage, treatment includes diet compliance, maintenance of motor activity at a normal level, therapeutic gymnastics, physiotherapy, massage.
In a number of cases, laser therapy and saturation of the affected area with oxygen are used( oxygen therapy).
For normalization of metabolic processes in bone and cartilage tissues, it is necessary to monitor food. It is known that various microelements, in particular, phosphorus and calcium, take part in the construction of bone tissue. Patients are encouraged to eat foods rich in these trace elements( milk, dairy products, fish).
As for exercise therapy, it is advisable to conduct it only after the disappearance of signs of inflammation. Before this the ankle should be at rest. The complex of exercises is selected individually for each patient. In addition, the motor load increases. The thing is that if there is a pain syndrome, the sick person starts to move less, hypodynamia occurs. This leads to weakness of muscles and ligaments.
To strengthen the ankle and normalize metabolic processes in the cartilage and bone tissues, medications are prescribed. At 1 and 2 stages of the disease chondroprotectors are used. They can be applied inside or inserted into the cavity of the ankle joint. Along with them, drugs that are derivatives of hyaluronic acid are used. The latter is part of the synovial fluid. In the presence of pain syndrome, painkillers from the NSAID group are used. If the synovitis has developed, then the administration of corticosteroids is indicated.
Thus, osteoarthritis of the ankle at the first stage may not manifest itself in any way. Very often, patients seek help at the height of the illness. The main goal of treatment in this situation is to prevent the progression of pathology and formation of ankylosis. If you contact a doctor in time, you can avoid serious complications.
The most complicated form of arthrosis is deforming osteoarthritis of the ankle joint, which has consequences of both overloads and injuries. With it develops non-inflammatory pathogenesis, accompanied by rapid wear and aging of cartilage. This disease is almost not cured. Doctors prescribe therapeutic treatment of deforming osteoarthritis of the ankle only to prevent the disease from progressing further.
Treatment of foot osteoarthrosis
Ankle structure diagram.
The increase in load on the foot is connected, first of all, with excess weight. Therefore, for prevention, full people should fight their extra pounds to reduce the burden on the ankle.
The main thing: do not overeat, exclude fatty and carbohydrate food, adhere to the principle of balanced nutrition.
But when it has gone too far, and intolerable pains torment the patient, doctors use the medication with the help of medications, physiotherapeutic procedures, and also with the use of various ointments and compresses.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW!Doctors are dumbfounded! The pain in the joints is FOREVER!Just before bedtime. .. Read on - & gt;
In the first stage, if osteoarthritis is diagnosed, paracetamol and other analgesics are prescribed. These drugs get rid of the pain. Simultaneously, for the control of inflammatory processes, such drugs as voltaren, ibuprofen, diclofenac, aspirin, naproxen are used. Effective treatment of osteoarthritis can be achieved using BAD collagen-ultra. If the disease is badly triggered and osteoarthritis progresses to a critical condition, a surgical operation may be required. In the course of her surgeon will remove the bony growths that deform the ankle.
If the joint is completely destroyed - it is replaced.
It can be recommended only as an auxiliary treatment. In no case should you refuse medical assistance. This is especially true if the foot disease has taken on a chronic, progressive nature.
Ointment from intoxicated St. John's wort. Take 2 tablespoons of the crushed dried components of St. John's wort and hops. Mix thoroughly with the addition of 50 g of Vaseline. Received ointment rubbed sore spots.
Applying to the affected areas a long time infused in rice water. It removes acute pain syndrome due to the drawing of salt from the joints.
Ointment from honey and milk. In one glass of warm milk stir a tablespoon of honey. Pour 10 drops of valerian. Day to insist. Rub into a sore spot before going to bed and before breakfast. Wrap in a shawl or scarf.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW!Doctors are dumbfounded! The pain in the joints is FOREVER!Just before bedtime. .. Read on - & gt;
Tincture from cowberry leaf. Crush into the powder one tablespoon of cranberry leaves. Bring water to a boil and pour two glasses of this serving. Let it brew for half an hour. Take inside. It is recommended to remove salts from the affected joints.
Tincture of honey with milk. The most accessible and proven method for treating patients with knees. In a glass of milk, dissolve 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of plain salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Rub into the inflamed joint in the mornings and evenings. It is advisable to steam beforehand in a hot bath. The procedure should be performed within a month. After you take a break for ten days and repeat again.
Wormwood ointment. Wormwood dry, grind and mix with any astringent component( vegetable oil, petroleum jelly, glycerin, etc.).The resulting mixture is heated on low heat in a water bath for an hour and a half. Insist for 24 hours. Strain. Put in a dark, cool place. With this ointment rub the inflamed joints of the shin and foot.
If you follow the simplest recommendations of physicians, you probably will not need to treat a stop of osteoarthritis. For this you need:
- adhere to a healthy diet, eating more vegetables and fruits in raw fresh form;
- to reduce the consumption of sugar and salt;
- is less meat and fish;
- keep track of your weight;
- protect joints from overexertion and injuries;
- regularly do therapeutic exercises to maintain joint mobility.
Recommendations of the expert
Effective treatment of foot osteoarthrosis, in the first place, is due to the right choice of shoes, which should be as comfortable as possible for a sick leg. The recommended option is the use of orthopedic shoes.
To less load foot, you should avoid long loads and unnecessary walking.
At the initial stages of good results can be achieved with the help of therapeutic gymnastics. If osteoarthritis develops, medication can not be avoided without treatment.
ღ Osteoarthrosis of the ankle joint should be treated correctly
Many people associate this disease with osteoarthrosis of the knee joint with accumulation and deposition of salts in surrounding tissues. I must say that this phenomenon is not uncommon, but it does not play a leading role in the defeat of the joints of the lower extremities.
What is osteoarthritis of the ankle joint.
Osteoarthrosis of the ankle is a pathology that occurs when the cartilage is deformed, which envelops the bones involved in creating the knee ligament. This cartilage is called hyaline, in some cases loses its integrity and begins to deteriorate. If the hyaline cartilage is completely abraded, the bone elements will constantly touch each other while moving. The organism reacts to this problem by the bone consolidation, on which bone spines grow. These growths lead to disruption of the joint and its destruction.
Osteoarthritis of the ankle often affects older people, regardless of gender. Its causes can also be overweight, trauma or inflammation of the knee joint. Prevention of obesity and inflammatory processes can prevent the occurrence of this ailment.
The main symptoms of ankle joint osteoarthritis.
In some cases, the main symptoms of osteoarthritis may be stiffness in the knee joint after a dream or painful sensations as a result of movement. If the disease progresses in its development, then soon there is a crunch in the joint, and the pain becomes a constant companion of man. If the process of deformation is not stopped in time, the patient may lose the flexion-extensor functions of the knee, limp and even lose the opportunity to move independently.
How to properly treat osteoarthritis of the ankle joint.
The traditional method of treating and preventing osteoarthritis of the ankle joint is the removal of the load from the joint that needs help. In this case, the patient is observed in the hospital, where he is stretched by the joint for the shin. To achieve the most positive result, the patient should be engaged in therapeutic gymnastics, which helps improve blood supply. It will not be superfluous and the use of coniferous baths, as well as heating compresses.
To more modern methods of treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint include: massages, laser therapy, ultraviolet, ultrasound, Bernard currents. There is a mass of sanatoriums where people with this ailment are offered classical and innovative health programs.
If there is evidence, the doctor may prescribe the admission of special hormones( glucocorticoid agents) or oxygen treatment( oxygen therapy).
Deforming osteoarthritis of the knee, shoulder, ankle joint: symptoms and treatment
- Osteoarthritis of the hands
Deforming osteoarthritis is a gradually developing irreversible disease of the cartilage joint tissue, in which the structure and functions of the entire joint are deteriorated with time. At the heart of the disease are various factors of the disorder of the formation of cartilage cells and articular fluid. Any complex motor systems of the body can be affected by osteoarthritis, but most often it is subjected to the most loaded ones - the hip, knee and ankle joints.IMPORTANT TO KNOW!Doctors are dumbfounded! The pain in the joints is FOREVER!Just before bedtime. .. Read on - & gt;
The definition of "deforming" in this case means that, when diagnosed, osteoarthritis is deformed under weight load due to improper cartilage work, the bone edge gradually becomes osteophytes and modifies its shape. This pathology is formed in most cases by decades. For example, if the knee joint is affected, the reduction in the joint gap occurs on average 0.3 mm per year.
Sometimes there is a very rapid destruction of bones and cartilage. Such a course of the process can be observed with erosive osteoarthritis associated with genetic inferiority, with polyosteoarthrosis in menopause, as well as with the combination of arthrosis with severe obesity. In any case, the disease is irreversible and ends as a result of complete immobility of the joint( ankylosis).
Because of the generality of the pathological process in the ICD 10, deforming osteoarthritis is equated with the following diseases: arthrosis, osteoarthritis, arthrosis-arthritis, osteoarthritis, deforming arthrosis.
Predisposing factors of
The only reason for the formation of osteoarthritis is a violation of the normal nutrition of articular cartilage, as a result of which it ceases to fulfill its mission and causes a disruption in the work of the entire compound. But predisposing factors to this state of affairs may be several.
The negative role played by them is not unambiguously proven, since they usually act in aggregate. Possible underlying causes of the appearance of cartilage pathology:
- overload and joint trauma, this also includes obesity as a mechanical factor of constant excess load and neuropathy, weakening muscle tone;
- circulatory disorders in regional vessels;
- congenital or hereditary pathology, in particular joint dysplasia;
- primary inflammatory processes, infectious diseases of the joints and the whole organism;
- endocrine disorders, hormonal changes in the body, metabolic diseases;
- age-related wear of the joint.
General clinical manifestations of
Deforming arthrosis in the first stages can be characterized only by the presence of minor discomfort during movement. Further development of the negative process is characterized by increased pain already at any load, often not disappearing at night. To them joins the joint, which eventually leads to immobility.
Pain syndrome in osteoarthritis
Pain is the very first symptom of the appearance of disorders in the joint .Since the cartilage does not have blood vessels and nerve endings, unpleasant sensations appear when the surrounding tissues are involved in the pathological process. In the first stages, the pain syndrome occurs only when the limb is overloaded and disappears at rest. Types of pain manifestations:
- "starting pain" appears from the movement of the joint and decreases after its development in 20 minutes;
- morning stiffness occurs after sleep, is a sign of inflammation of the capsule;
- pain in some limb positions may result from the development of periarthritis( inflammation of the periarticular tissues);
- permanent pain can be the result of neuropathy, reflex muscle spasm, synovitis or fibrosis capsule;
- nocturnal arises from venous stasis and increased intraosseous pressure;
- sudden severe pain speaks of blockade of the joint with soft tissues or the introduction of osteophytes into the muscles.
Disturbance of joint function
With further development of osteoarthritis, the pain in the joint is gradually joined to the pain syndrome. Initially, all functions are preserved in full, but can be accompanied by unpleasant sensations. The second stage usually starts with a significant restriction of mobility, crunch during movement and moderate muscle atrophy. With complete degeneration of the cartilaginous tissue, the volume of movements almost completely disappears.
Signs of osteoarthritis in case of hardware diagnosis of
The most reliable information on the joint condition can be obtained only with the help of MRI and diagnostic arthroscopy, which demonstrate superficial changes in the cartilaginous tissue. But these methods are not cheap, therefore they are used only in extreme cases. Conducting ultrasound is appropriate only for the hip and shoulder joint.
Radiography with joint problems is the only available method of diagnosis. However, the inconvenience of the method is that the image does not show cartilage, so the conclusion is made based on the size of the joint gap, the presence of osteophytes, cysts and ossification of the capsule.
Features of course and therapy for different location of arthrosis
Despite the presence of general symptoms in joint disease, their location makes their own adjustments, especially the course of the process and the likely prognosis. For example, disability occurs primarily with arthrosis of the lower extremities. Accordingly, the methods under which the treatment of deforming osteoarthritis will be most successful precisely for this localization of the disorder may differ.
Deforming osteoarthrosis of the hip joint has its special name "coxarthrosis".This localization is the most frequent - it is diagnosed in 40% of all cases of ailment. In the last stage, if one joint is affected, a loss of ability to work is 70%, with bilateral coxarthrosis - 100%.
Symptoms of the stages:
- pain in the groin and buttocks occur only with heavy loads on the joint, subsidence at rest, and early limitation of movements is also observed;
- pains exacerbate and do not subside, the muscles gradually weaken, and even less becomes amplitude;
- pain is permanent, because of the immobility of the joint, muscle atrophy occurs, movement is possible only with the help of a cane with the support of the finger, which causes the pelvis to deform and cause a one-sided load on the lower back.
Treatment: deforming osteoarthrosis TBS has its own characteristics - for example, with early pain and stiffness, analgesics are recommended for muscle relaxants, since the syndrome is most often caused by muscle spasm. With the progression of the process, pain medications, physiotherapy, and exercise therapy are prescribed. At the last stage for restoration of functions the only solution is arthroplasty of the joint.
Diet with deforming osteoarthritis of any localization is of great importance only in terms of correcting excess weight, which has a serious strain on the joints. It is because of this that obesity is the main factor in the development of the disease.
Deforming osteoarthritis of the knee joint is called gonarthrosis. This diagnosis is made in 30% of cases of non-inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Symptoms of disease development:
- deforming knee osteoarthritis of the 1st degree is characterized by mild pain after exercise, which soon disappears, the joint is not changed;
- deforming osteoarthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree starts with the pain intensification due to the frequent attachment of synovitis, at which the fluid in the joint is observed. Morning stiffness appears, knees increase in size and change shape, local temperature increases, knee blockage, osteonecrosis and blood in the joint;
- with deforming osteoarthritis of the knee joint 3 degrees of manifestation of all the symptoms reach a maximum: the pain is permanent, walking and movements are sharply limited, the joint is strongly deformed, because of osteophytes or cysts, the joint gap on the x-ray is almost absent.
Treatment of deforming osteoarthritis of the knee depends on the stage of the disease and the presence of complications. Therapy of the concomitant inflammatory process is paramount. Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used in the form of blockade and NVS.After reducing puffiness, physiotherapy and exercise therapy are recommended. It is very useful to use chondroprotectors with long courses.
With the diagnosis of deforming osteoarthritis of the knee joint, treatment at the last stage is possible only operative. The possibility of restoring the function exists only in the endoprosthesis of the knee joint. Modern development of surgery allows you to do this with the help of a low-traumatic method - arthroscopy.
Ankle joint osteoarthritis
The deforming osteoarthritis of the ankle is a serious invalidating type of arthrosis that occurs in one of the most complex leg joints. Development also occurs gradually with the formation of ankylosis at the last stage. However, the mobility of the joint is initially low, therefore, the degree of pain syndrome, osteophytosis and deformity of the foot is more important for the prognosis.
The deforming osteoarthritis of the ankle is treated as standard for all arthritis. Initially, great importance is attached to the selection of individual orthopedic shoes, massage and physiotherapy, which can significantly alleviate the pain syndrome.
Surgical treatment: deforming osteoarthrosis of the foot requires surgical intervention in the absence of positive dynamics from treatment. Well proven arthroscopic sanitation, arthrodesis( the formation of immobility for the removal of pain), as well as with severe violations - endoprosthetics.
Osteoarthrosis of the shoulder joint
Deforming osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint( omarthrosis) is an unpleasant but rarely disabling disease, because it is localized in a place that is relatively unloaded. Here arthrosis often has a secondary character. Change in the form of the compound almost does not occur, pains of varying degrees of intensity, mostly moderate, gradually appear limited motion.
How to treat deforming osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint? Therapy is carried out according to the same principles that take place for any arthrosis. The most appropriate methods of conservative therapy. Surgical intervention is quite rare in complications that violate the quality of life of patients.
Osteoarthritis of the hands
The deforming osteoarthritis of the hands appears in the appearance on the lateral surfaces of the joints of osteophytes in the form of nodules( Geberden and Buschar).Characteristic of frequent synovitis, accompanied by throbbing pains, gradual curvature of phalanges. The outcome of the ailment is the disobedience of the fingers, in which fine motor skills become impossible. Treatment of this type of arthrosis is standard for all types of diseases.
Deforming osteoarthritis is a serious disease requiring early diagnosis of and timely intervention. Only in this case, complete recovery or slowing down of the process for many years is possible. For therapy, a large number of different modern methods are used, which can be very effective in the early stages. Conservative treatment of the problem in later stages is less likely, so surgery is preferred.