Why knees hurt after training
A passion for sports has its negative aspects. First of all, this is frequent injuries during training and pain after training( after running, light and heavy athletics, riding a bicycle, etc.).The causes of pain can be associated not only with certain loads, but also with diseases of the knee joint that occur in the athlete. That is why it is very important to be able to correctly orient in a concrete situation and to protect yourself from irreparable consequences.
In which case pain is a variant of the
standard Pain in the knees against the background of sports loads is not a rare phenomenon. Its occurrence may be associated with changes in the musculo-tendon complexes and bone-articular elements of the knee region. As an option, the norms should be considered:
- The slight relatively short pain of the whole group or only certain muscles of the lower leg and thigh. Most often it is a regular phenomenon against the background of the load and is due to the accumulation of lactic acid in the tissues. The likelihood of occurrence of such pains and their duration( maximum to 3-4 days) are determined by muscle training. The more they are adapted to the load, the less muscle pain.
- Short aching pain of undefined localization in the knee region. Athletes feel it after training as an easy squeezing of the entire knee joint. There should not be one painful point.
It's important to remember! Normal pain in the knee area after training is always short, inefficient, decreases or does not go away after rest. Unprepared muscles and joints always hurt after physical exertion!
Pain associated with jogging
If jogging is a rare occurrence in a person's life, then it can not avoid the occurrence of muscle or joint pain in the knee area. But in those cases, if the pain syndrome is a constant companion of the athlete when running, he should always be wary. Behind him may be hidden:
- Traumatic injuries of meniscuses. A typical mechanism of their occurrence is an incorrect distribution of the load on the knee joint during running due to unsuccessful turn of the shin relative to the hip. At the time of the injury, there is a sharp but short pain. As a rule, after jogging or even after training, it increases, more when walking, which causes limping. Later there is a local swelling and palpation pain on the lower-inner edge of the knee.
- Dislocation of the patella( knee cap).May occur during a fall or knee injury. Is manifested by sharp pain and swelling. After such a leg injury, it's impossible to continue running. Within a few days the pain passes. If the athlete does not seek medical help, this will cause a habitual dislocation.
- Chondromalacia. It represents the destruction of the cartilage mass of the patella. Appears unpleasant aching pain during running and after training. It is accompanied by restriction of mobility of the knee joint.
- Traumatic injury of ligaments. They are represented by their stretching and tearing. A damaged place at the time of injury is badly hurt. Continue to run it is impossible. After training, pain persists, swelling appears, and knee joint mobility decreases. Walking becomes severely hampered, touching the affected knee is accompanied by soreness.
Absence of adequate warm-up before training is one of the causes of knee joint damage
Pain in walking
The occurrence of pain in the knee at certain times of walking, more often when flexing the limb in the joint, may be due to:
- Different kinds of knee injuries. It can be damage to ligaments, menisci and synovium. It is necessary to remember that the pain syndrome can be as a consequence of fresh injuries, and chronic damage. In the first case, the definition of the cause of pain is not difficult, in the second - the diagnosis is problematic.
- Disease of Osgood( Osgood-Schlättter).It occurs mainly in adolescence in boys. It is a nonspecific lesion of the tibia below the knee. The main manifestation of pathology is the spot soreness under the patella during walking.
- Dissecting osteochondritis - violation of the blood supply to the knee end of the femur, manifested by the detachment of the articular cartilage with its complete destruction.
- Osteoarthritis. In the initial stages of development, the disease manifests itself as periodic pains within the knee during walking.
It's important to remember! The presence of a chronic pathology of the knee joint( arthritis, arthrosis, tendovaginitis, periarthritis, bursitis) is the main factor determining the most probable cause of pain in the knee after or during running. On the aggravation of existing diseases you need to think first!
Consequences of cycling
The occurrence of knee pain after riding a bicycle is most often associated with overstrain of ligamentous tendon structures. It can be:Related article: Why do knee joint pains?
- Tendonitis and tendovaginitis. Inflammation of tendinous vaginas can be caused by their chronic overstrain, stretching or tearing. Depending on the degree of damage, the characteristics of pain are formed. Sharp, burning, arising at the height of the load, indicates a serious damage. Periodic aching pain localized along the posterior-internal or posterior-external surface of the knee indicates a chronic problem and requires mandatory correction of the load regime.
- Bursitis. Around all the large tendons of the knee joint are bags that facilitate their glide and movement. In people involved in cycling, these bags are often affected by a chronic inflammatory process. After falling from the bike to the knee, the most unpleasant kind of bursitis appears - prepagatory. Its occurrence makes movements in the knee joint impossible in connection with a pronounced inflammation prone to suppuration.
- Damage to ligaments and tendons. Bike lovers often experience stretching and micro-ruptures of the colateral and cruciate, iliac-tibial ligaments, tendon parts of the inner and outer muscles of the hamstrings.
The use of compression knitwear is a powerful means of preventing sports injuries
Pain after sit-ups
Doing sit-ups with the bar is associated with an increased load on the osseous and articular elements of the leg. Their epicenter is the knee joints. This is the main mechanism for the occurrence of pain in the knees during or after squats. Persistent pain syndrome may indicate such diseases:
- Arthrosis-arthritis. In such patients the pain is accompanied by a crunch in the knees with their maximum flexion and extension. Aged traumatic injuries of meniscuses and cruciate ligaments. In this case the pain is mainly localized along the inner surface of the anterior-lower part of the knee joint. Knee instability or jamming may occur at any moment of squatting( more often when extending).
- Osgood-Schlatter disease and other types of lesions of the tibia.
- Traumatic and inflammatory lesion of tendons that move in the knees while squatting.
What to do with knee pain after training
The main rule of a person involved in sports is to reduce the load in the presence of pathological pain in the knee joints. Be sure to consult a specialist who will help establish the cause of the pain, choose the optimal load and tell you what to treat this or that disease. Detailed information on the differentiated approach to the treatment of diseases manifested by pain in the knees can be found in this article.
Why do my knees hurt after training?
Everyone who cares about his health, tries to lead an active lifestyle and engage in fitness. But it's not everyone who wants to make sport a mandatory point of his regime. Sometimes at the very beginning of the session people lose their mood, facing a number of problems.
Feeling once, how aching their knees after training, many beginners refuse to continue their studies. Why not do this and how to avoid unpleasant sensations in the knee joints after active training, the female website "Beautiful and Successful" will tell.
Why knees hurt after training
Articular pain is a frequent companion of beginning athletes. Tennis players often suffer from pain in the elbow joint of a working hand, gymnasts usually have a low back, football players know first hand what knee pain is.
The cause of discomfort lies in the structure of the joint, which is a complex articulation.
The joint is a capsule connected to the bones, elastic and strong. Parts of the bones encapsulated in the capsule are covered with cartilage. Inside the capsule is a thick elastic mass - synovial fluid, which prevents cartilage from rubbing against each other and contains nutrients for them - glycosaminoglycans. The body constantly replenishes the reserves of synovial fluid and nutrient compounds contained in it.
But with intensive loads the amount of this liquid can be greatly reduced. As a result, the cartilage begins to rub against each other, the joint crunches, it hurts, and in time can completely lose mobility.
Knee joints are one of the largest joints.
In addition, they are located so that practically with any physical activity they have a rather considerable load. No wonder the knees begin to ache. Still, pain can be avoided.
Knee pain after exercise: prevention
The sympaty.net website encourages all readers when they have joint pains to first consult a doctor to find out how serious the problem is. In some cases, doctors recommend taking special medications that make up the deficiency of nutrient compounds in the synovial fluid - chondroitin and glucosamine.
But it is recommended to resort to reception of chondroprotectors only in case of development of inflammatory process. It is better to try to prevent the appearance of pain. For this, the following preventative measures can be used:
- Power correction. To ensure that your knees do not hurt after training your legs, you must always provide joints and bones with all the elements necessary for their health. The diet should be rich in products containing fatty acids Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9, as well as proteins, calcium, vitamins and minerals. Therefore, good prevention of the appearance of pain in the knees after exercise is the use of dietary meat, fish, cottage cheese, vegetables and fruits.
- Drinking. It is very important not to allow water deficiency in the body. For this, you need to drink clean water - at least 2 liters a day. A bottle of water should be kept with you during classes so that you can make a few sips from time to time. These simple measures will help the synovial fluid to recover more quickly.
- Load reduction .Often aching knee joints after leg training at high loads. If the pain has appeared, in any case, the intensity of the exercises should be reduced, and also the time of training should be shortened.
- Cover .If the knees hurt after running, you need to change the place of training. When training on asphalt or concrete, the load on the legs is strengthened, this affects the condition of the knee joint. It is better to train on softer paths.
- Performing a workout. Immediately before performing the exercises themselves, you need to thoroughly warm up all the muscles and joints of the body. This will increase their elasticity, as a result of which they will be less injured. Experienced athletes know that at the end of the warm-up you need to perform rotations in the hip and knee joints. Such a simple measure is an excellent way to prevent pain in the knees after training.
- Rest mode. Joints should be allowed to unload, so after intensive training it is recommended to rest so much time that the joints managed to recover. It is also important to sleep at least 8 hours a day.
In addition to the listed preventive measures for pain in knee joints after training, several simple methods of treatment can be used.
Sore knees after training: what to do?
Pain in the knee appears as a result of a joint injury. You can treat it with simple methods.
- The injured knee should get rest and support. To do this, it should be fixed with a knee or elastic bandage. Latchers must stay on their knees and during the exercise.
- Orthopedic insoles will help to reduce the burden on the knee, which are designed to support, smooth and improve the function of the foot. Their use helps reduce pressure on the knee joint.
- To a sore spot several times a day it is useful to apply an ice compress for 5-10 minutes.
- If knee pains after leg training, you can treat them with anti-inflammatory ointments: Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Indomethacin, etc.
- A considerable benefit to joints will be the performance of special exercises that help reduce pain, increase joint mobility, and reduce fatigue.
If your knees hurt after training your feet, the most important thing is not to stop training. As practice shows, after 2-3 months of regular training, provided the correct choice of load, the pain in the knees completely disappear.
Therefore, in no case should you give up training. It is necessary to work intelligently on your body, improve it, and then there will be no problems with health.
--- Author - Pelageja, website www.sympaty.net - Beautiful and Successful Copying of this article is prohibited!
Sick knees after training: causes, prevention and treatment
September 29, 2015
Why knee pain after training and how to avoid it. What exercises to use for prevention, as well as information on the treatment of knee joints, if they require serious attention. In what cases will help rest, and in which you need to immediately consult a doctor, read in the article.It's not a secret: sports and physical activity are good for your health. But even this medal has a downside - the risk of overloading or getting injured. In the last article, we sorted out the question at what time it is better to train, so that the result is manifested more quickly and your training was given to you easily. But, today we are talking about the consequences of incorrect exercise techniques and insufficient warm-up. Often, both amateur athletes and professionals experience pain in the knee after a load. What is its cause? Is it possible to continue training if this kind of discomfort occurs? The answers to these questions are worth knowing.
Why knees hurt after trainingNormally a person should not experience any unpleasant sensations in the knee joint. But it is on him, even with ordinary walking, a colossal load, so slight pain in the knee tends to occur at the end of an active day. While playing sports and active rest there is a great risk of injury and because of it for a long time to fall out of the rut. The knee joint has a rather complex anatomy and is the largest in the human body. It plays the role of articulation of the femur with tibia. The most important of its functions are providing leg mobility and shock absorption during walking. The joint is strengthened by muscles and ligaments both from the side of the thigh and from the side of the shin. The presence of any discomfort, any intensity of pain, can indicate a violation of the joint or his injury. Independently identify the cause is not possible, you need a qualified medical examination, including ultrasound or X-ray. Simultaneously with the pain of other anxiety signals are:
- joint stiffness - varying degrees of severity limitation of its mobility, lack of the ability to bend or turn the knee;
- redness and flushing of the skin in the joint region;
- unnatural sounds when walking - crunching or clicking.
How to avoid the appearance of pain in the kneesStarting to engage in one or another sport, it is necessary to take preventive measures to the possible occurrence of pain in the knee joints. First, you need to load yourself gradually, taking into account the degree of your own physical fitness and overall health. If even a beginner feels a "second wind", you need to increase the duration and intensity of training gradually, rather than jerks. Secondly, it is necessary to practice regularly. Third, while doing sports, you need to remember about proper nutrition. Together with sweat salts are washed out from the body, this affects the joints not in the best way. Therefore, it is necessary to regularly consume foods with a high content of minerals and vitamins - fresh vegetable food, meat, fish and dairy products. The amount of water you drink daily also needs to be increased. Ideally, up to 2.5 liters. The most important preventive measure of injuries and the appearance of pain in the knee joint are warm-up before training and stretching after it. You can perform such exercises:
- Circular rotation of the foot and knee standing and lying - 10-15 times.
- Flexion and extension movements by the knee - 10-15 times.
- Exercises "bicycle" and "scissors" - 10-15 times.
- Shallow squats - 5-10 times.
- Drops - 5-10 times.
Read on the site on the topic : The right diet for muscle mass gain: menu, amount of protein and caloric content
How to get rid of pain in the knee jointsIf during a run or after knee-bends knee pain, exercise should be stopped immediately. Perhaps, discomfort arose because of the overload and will pass in a few hours. Otherwise, it is better not to stay with a doctor. Having identified the cause of the trouble, most likely, he will recommend:
- to stop training or reduce the load;
- fix the joint with a bandage or elastic bandage;
- to take a vitaminized diet;
- to engage in exercise therapy - to perform regular and under supervision exercises to strengthen the knee joint;
- undergo a course of physiotherapy;
- use ointments with analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect( as a rule, these are the means for external treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system based on diclofenac or ibuprofen: Diclofenac, Voltaren, Finalgel, Fastum-gel, etc.).
Pain in the knee when squatting - what to do to the athlete?
Pain in the knee when squatting is perhaps the most common complaint that occurs after training in fitness clubs. Knee joints are formed in a rather complicated way, and they can easily be damaged in any fall or erroneous performance of an exercise. What should I do if my knees hurt while squatting?
Causes of knee pain when squatting
Unfortunately, statistics are inexorable. Pain in the knees when squatting, as well as after training, arise in athletes increasingly. What is noteworthy, complaints can be heard both from people who are engaged in sports for many years, and from young people and beginners. The causes of pain are different for everyone, for example:
The causes of knee pain may be different, but all deserve attention.
- Wrong technique when doing squats or lunges and other exercises. During the exercise during the movement, it is very important to follow the knees so that they are parallel to the feet and not at an angle, otherwise this situation places an excessive load on the joints, which contributes to the appearance of unpleasant sensations.
- If the pain has arisen unexpectedly and had a sharp character, there is a high probability of serious injury - stretching of the joints or even a rupture.
- If the pain constantly reminds of itself when squats or even when descending the stairs, it can be Osgood-Schlatter disease. Do not be superfluous and the examination of the doctor, if the diagnosis is confirmed, do not worry - usually for a full recovery is enough for one month.
- It is not uncommon for a "crunchy" sound to be heard during knee bending in the knees, this is an alarming symptom - developing arthrosis. It should immediately be examined by an appropriate specialist and not neglect the treatment that will be assigned to you.
- Pain in the knees can be caused by the elementary excess burden that you use.
- For the female, the current cause of knee crunch is the habit of walking on very high heels - over 7 cm.
- Quite often knee pain and crunch are only a consequence of lack of vitamins or salt deposits. Cardinally revise your diet, the key products of which should be vegetables and fruits. The council, at first glance, is banal, but no less effective.
Trainers will help you to keep the load
However, do not overly inflate yourself with an abundance of information about pain in the knee. Squats, like no other exercises, support in the tone of the hips and buttocks. In particular, in all fitness clubs you can perform a special exercise - the so-called sit-up in Smith.
Classes with this simulator, of course, will not allow you to rapidly develop the muscles of the legs, in contrast to the classic sit-ups. But in Smith's simulator during squats, the load is shifted to quadriceps, in particular to their lower part. Beginners begin with 3-4 approaches with 5 - 15 repetitions at a time( depending on physical abilities).This exercise in many training programs for the muscles of the feet is in the first place. Then, as a rule, presses or lunges followed by feet. But remember that one should not count on feats in the first month of training. So, if you experience a certain discomfort in your knees with classic sit-ups, but make sure that your health is safe, use the Smith simulator.
Some recommendations for combating pain in the knee
Even with the exercises on the simulator, Smith, you should be extremely accurate. If in normal life knees ache during squatting, then to the load in the gym should be treated with increased caution.
How will you manage to cope with this pain?
- If you were doing squats, and the knee suddenly fell ill, do not ignore this signal and cancel for now all the load on your leg.
- If the pain disappears after some time, it is permissible to continue training. But let's repeat - without the leg exercises.
- Some athletes prefer to perform exercises with bandages on their knees and elbows. If you knit a knee with an elastic bandage, this helps in part in the fight against pain, but remember that with a rewound knee it is difficult to feel the "alarm" that your body can feed.
- Sometimes to get rid of the pain it is enough to normalize blood circulation, improve metabolism or strengthen muscles. But these measures are designed for a long time. In any case, we strongly recommend that you undergo a screening, in case of an urgent problem, the doctor may prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or blockades from novocaine.
- Those who are keen on squats with exercise, doctors advise the use of special food supplements in the daily diet. The composition of these supplements includes glucosamine or chondroitin, performing protective functions for the joints of the legs.
Whatever it was, and control over the load and a realistic attitude to their own capabilities is the key to success. The mistake of newcomers in one is a reassessment of their own physical abilities.
Do not try to perform exercises "through pain", the knee should be protected, otherwise, you risk earning yourself trouble at a fairly young age. If you are hurting your knees today when squatting - do not delay the visit to a specialist. The problem with a short term of limitation is quite easy to eliminate.
You will also be interested in articles on this topic:
Knees after training in weightlifting
May be a meniscus. Everything can end with an operation. I advise you to remove the load on your knees and go to the doctor
Most likely a meniscus. You need a doctor-traumatologist. ..
unequivocally, to the traumatologist, to take a picture.no loads until the cause is found.and up to an arthrosis and an arthritis to reach it is possible.a meniscus should be checked.
Did people explain to you at least the squatting technique? If not, can you do something wrong? Can you put socks in?
needs to sit down 15 times and then 1 hour to lie in bed
to the doctor and exclude the load
The doctor will help
and it seems like having to throw weightlifting
also go for athletics
but I seem to have to give up because ofview
TO THE DOCTOR!