How to treat deforming arthrosis of the joints of the hands
You probably had to see, especially in elderly women, calloused hands with deformed knobby fingers and protruding tubercles on them. About these people say - the worn out hands. These signs may be in those who have arthrosis of the joints of the fingers.
Osteoarthritis of the joints of the hands most often in the old age
Arthrosis of the fingers and wrist joint
Arthrosis of the fingers is much less common than a similar pathology in the knee, shoulder or hip joints .
The causes of arthrosis of the hands
To meet such a disease can be found among those who worked hard all their lives, often overcooled hands, exposed their hands to the constant dynamic loads of :
- of workers who are constantly dealing with vibration tools: a perforator, a jackhammer, a drill
- of women who have a lotwashed manually in cold water
- of agricultural workers engaged in rough, non-mechanized work of
- athletes: tennis players, baseball players, volleyball players
Another reason is genetic predispositiondix:
deformations in the joint at the same place unmotivated. Inside, a pathological process simply turns on, impoverishing the structure of the cartilaginous tissue of the joint and leading to its gradual destruction.
Injury can also lead to arthrosis, especially damage to the wrist joint.
Estrogen deficiency in menopausal women leads to bone resorption, which contributes including arthrosis
Many people mistakenly call arthritis arthritis, although arthritis is a much more serious disease.
How to distinguish arthrosis and arthritis
Both pathologies begin with the small joints of the hands or feet, and then the larger ones are also affected.
- Arthritis is a systemic inflammatory joint disease that changes the blood formula that affects some internal organs.
- Arthrosis is joint deformity, although it is due to internal dystrophic changes, but does not affect the whole body except for motor function disorders.
- Arthritis pain does not havesuch a link to the movement, and mostly comes at night and even a few subsides as soon as the movement of the
- arthrosis pain symptom always increases with the onset of motion and calms down at rest
- Osteoarthritis is more common in the elderly, and arthritis in young
Mixed form - arthrosis-arthritis is often observed, when joint deformity is accompanied by its inflammation .
In any case, if the joints of the hands began suddenly to change for no reason - this can serve as an indicator that serious pathological processes have begun in the bone system.
Types of arthrosis of the hands
Arthrosis of the wrist joint, mostly of traumatic origin, is more often diagnosed.
From the figure below you can understand how difficult the device of the brush, and what a large number of joints is in it.
In the hand a very large number of joints
Arthrosis of the brush can be nodular:
- Geberden nodes - on the joints of the distal( extreme) phalanx of the fingers
- Bouchard nodules - on the joints of the proximal( middle) phalanx
Separately isolate rizartroz - lesions of metacarpophalangeal and metacarpalwrist joints of the thumb .
Stages of the disease and symptoms
Geberden and Buschar nodules - symptoms of arthrosis of the fingers
- In the first stage there are no bright external manifestations of the pathology, but there are already symptoms of periodic pains arising from the movement of the hands or during physical work
- There may also be a smallswelling in distal phalanxes
- Pain begins to acquire a permanent character, but it is rather noisy, acute symptoms are usually not typical for the pathology of the hands.
- Skin surfaces near the joints turn red and swell
- . Small Heberden nodules, often symmetrical on both hands, and Bushard.
- The formation of the nodes is irreversible: they remain even after the disappearance of redness and swelling
- Movement in the hands is limited and accompanied by a crunch
- Symptoms of muscular atrophy appear
- Swelling and redness can also become a permanent sign of
- Deformation in joints and bony growths lead to the inability to bend fingersor the brush itself, that is, to the actual complete immobility of the
- The knottyness of the joints is complemented by the curvature of all the elements of the brush
- th becomes exhausted and externally thinner
Treatment of arthrosis of the hands of
Before treatment it is especially important to differentiate the disease, that is, weed out the worst option - arthritis.
To lead to this suspicion can arthrosis of the wrist joint, which appeared, it would seem, for no reason: the patient can not recall the fall on the brush, nor about any kind of load on it.
Diagnosis of the pathology of the hands
The doctor is likely to send a rheumatic test - an immunological blood test that can reveal a C-reactive protein, a rheumatoid factor and a marker called antistreptolysin. The presence of these elements in the blood confirm rheumatoid arthritis.
Preliminary radiographic diagnosis before treatment
X-ray diagnosis of the brush can reveal arthrosis by:
- joint deformity
- narrowing or closing the interarticular cleft
- overgrowth of osteitis
The disease rarely requires analgesic treatment.
The main condition of treatment is the elimination of the cause that provoked the disease :
- Constant physical activity
- Threats of microtraumas
- Metabolic disorders in cartilage
- Malnutrition, etc.
Scheme of complex treatment of
Arthrosis of the radial joint requires mandatory protection of the wrist with a special orthopedic wristband during the period of possible loads of
. In the first stages, metabolism in the joint can be improved with chondroprotectors - artificial substitutes needed for connective tissues of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine
. But reassessment of the possibilities of these drugs - prescriptionthem in the last stages or an incorrect short-term reception, lead to unreasonable disappointment painbut with expensive drugs
In the last stage, already with a deficiency of synovial fluid, intraarticular injections with hyaluronic acid
are effective. Physiotherapy treatment improves blood circulation and joint nutrition:
- Laser therapy
- Mud treatment
- Thermal procedures( ozocerite and paraffin applications)
- Penetrating compresses( dimexide or bischofite, medical bile)
- Manual therapy
You can apply self-massage :
"Twisting" and pulling the fingers with the other hand
- Rubbing the palms of the hands
- Rubbing each finger of the diseased hand healthy from the base to the tip
- Pressing on the fingers when the
- is folded into a fist or diluted palm "Twisting" or drawing fingers with the other hand,e.
LFK for the hands
Gymnastics are necessary, even if the joints of the hands are almost not bent .
Do such simple exercises.
Isometric ( with pain and limited movements):
- The position of the hands is palm on the table, the fingers are placed
- With your fingertips we force against the surface of the table and try to put the palm in the fist, but the fingers remain still
- Relax the brush and througha few seconds, repeat the exercise
- Standing or sitting position, the arms hang freely
- Shake with relaxed brushes
Dynamic exercises :
- Drum fingertips
- "Stepping"fingers on the table
- We connect the thumb of the hand alternately on the both hands with the rest
- Bend the fingers and unbend it to the extent that the mobility of the joint allows.
For the prevention of arthrosis of the hands and in its early stages, exercises with the expander are useful.
Video: Exercise for hands
Arthrosis of the hands - detailed information on the treatment and prevention of
Arthrosis of the hands
Osteoarthritis is a disease of the joints in which cartilaginous tissue can be destroyed.
Arthrosis-affected joint of the finger
For today it is precisely because of this disease that people become disabled. Approximately 20% of diseases - arthrosis of the hands. As a rule, this is a very unpleasant condition, which is accompanied by severe pains, the inability to control the limbs and the violation of fine motor skills. It is very difficult to cure this disease. However, if you make a diagnosis in time, you can easily alleviate the condition of the patient, stop the further development of the disease, not allowing critical changes in the joints.
Causes and occurrence of arthrosis
In general, the onset of arthrosis is due to hereditary predisposition. In such cases, the patients show disturbances in the synthesis of collagen on a genetic background, but there are no precise reasons for the deviations.
There is an assumption that one of the causes of the disease can be a gradual destruction of the interarticulate cartilage.
The destructive effect on the lining tissue
But there are factors that contribute to the development of arthrosis.
First, it is certainly the hardest manual labor, the systematic strain on the joints of the fingers and wrists.
Secondly, these are strong physical activities and injuries to the hands, fingers. For example, people who often engage in fitness, or heavyweights.
Thirdly, the disease is endocrine, psoriasis, diabetes, obesity, congenital pathology.
Fourth, managing an incorrect lifestyle( alcohol, smoking, excess weight), malnutrition, poor ecology, and aging. All this plays an important role in the occurrence of this disease, the treatment of which will take a long time and will incur large costs.
What is arthrosis dangerous?
Like any disease, it is better not to start arthrosis and treat it in the early stages. Progressive arthrosis over time often leads to periarthritis( inflammation and damage to surrounding articular tissues) and synovitis( inflammation of the membrane that covers the joint cavity).Arthrosis threatens and complete immobility of the affected joints. Small joints in this disease can acquire an ugly form.
Symptoms of the disease and development characteristics of
There are three stages of the disease. The first stage is expressed by temporary pain in the fingers with each hand movement. If you feel a crunch in your joints, then this may indicate the onset of the disease. Also near the joint, there may be a swelling, which in time can be transformed into a small nodule. In the second stage, the pain becomes stronger and becomes permanent, accompanied by a lack of mobility of the joint. The number and size of nodules increase. Because of this, the joint becomes larger in size. The appearance of such nodules usually causes burning and throbbing pain, but there are exceptions when everything passes painlessly. The third one is characterized by almost complete limitation of movements of the joints. The proliferation of nodules leads to a severe deformation of both fingers and hands. In addition, the joint itself deforms, which leads directly to the destruction of cartilage and bones. In the place of the aching joint, the area usually swells, becomes red. There are also severe pains and limited mobility of the fingers, or even the hands as a whole.
Prevention of the onset and treatment of arthrosis of the hands
Fortunately, there is an opportunity to prevent the occurrence of arthrosis. As you know, arthrosis itself is not inherited. There is only a predisposition to it at the genetic level( this is, for example, elasticity, strength and density of articular cartilage or metabolic features).With a problem such as arthrosis, most often women face.
Before choosing a profession, you need to think carefully. Not only at the expense of career opportunities, high wages, but also at the expense of health. As excessive stress on the joints of the hands causes an increase in the risk of the disease. Pianists, masseurs, programmers, or people who type too much on the keyboard are often prone to illness. Therefore, if there is a predisposition to the disease, it is better to be careful in choosing a profession.
Scientists have shown that arthrosis of the hands can occur or appear in women at the time of menopause. This is most likely due to the loss of body moisture, so the cartilage becomes weak and fragile.
Take note of several tips for the prevention of arthrosis:
- Stick to a healthy lifestyle, more walk.
- Massage your hands from time to time. Massage includes several simple exercises. Actually, it is necessary to rub the palms until the hands become warm. With fingers of one hand, gently knead each finger on the other hand, starting from the base towards the nail, and then back. Slightly grasp your finger and gently rotate it, as if undercutting a pencil. About 20 times you need to quickly unbend and bend your fingers, not leading up to the compression to the fist. Fold your hands together, press your fingers hard against each other - perform for 1-2 minutes, repeat several times.
Hand massage as a method of treatment
- more often regularly knead the brush, especially when you feel discomfort in this area;
- attend sessions of paraffin therapy;
- take protective preparations( chondroprotectors).
Treatment of arthrosis
In the case when arthrosis passes asymptomatically, then, as a rule, no special treatment is prescribed. Then it is recommended simply to beware of strong physical exertion so that the joints do not overload.
If the established diagnosis is arthrosis, its cause is determined, then the first thing to do is not to load the joint and avoid all kinds of injuries. In the case of strong pain, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used. At the initial stages of the disease, do special exercises for the fingers and hands, the amplitude of which should not be too large. Observe this rule in order not to injure any more sick joints.
Charge for fingers
Special massages of hands are also necessary( massages in the form of kneading and grinding, and also with the help of tapping, the strength of which increases with time, are good for use).But it is important to know that if any pain is felt during the massage, then it is necessary either to weaken the effect on the damaged joint or to stop the procedures immediately.
In the treatment of arthrosis often resort to methods of physiotherapy( treated with ultrasound, electrophoresis, magnetotherapy, laser therapy).
Waxing sessions of paraffin therapy are also actively used, with the help of which painful pain is relieved.
Hand paraffin therapy for arthrosis
Folk remedies are also actively used to treat arthrosis. For example, complicating arthrosis of the hands is treated with a mixture of salt and honey. Mix in equal proportions salt with honey. The resulting mixture is spread along the length of the linen shred, then applied to the sore spot. From above it is necessary to warm it well. It is advisable to leave the compress overnight.
Active compresses are made from fresh cabbage leaves, pharmacy clay, green potato tubers. Potatoes of this kind, as a rule, do not eat, because it contains so-called potato poison. Just this poison helps to eliminate pain in arthrosis. Grated potatoes are heated to a temperature of about 36-37 ° C, then applied to the inflamed place overnight.
There is another effective compress, which consists of fresh onion porridge and chalk that mixes with kefir. The resulting mixture should be thick, like a paste.
It is also recommended that patients take herbal diuretics, the same lotions.
Therapeutic fees for decoctions and lotions
The structure of our body is unique. When everything works as a mechanism, a person feels great. Just think about the structure of our hands. How many of them are pits, joints, cartilage, muscles. How everything functions perfectly and smoothly.
Hands should be protected from the youth. Especially when choosing a future profession. If the professional activity is still connected with the load on the joints, then do not forget about preventive gymnastics, preparations and massages.
On the ice, you must be extremely attentive. Since when a person falls, they involuntarily put their hands forward. And any trauma can lead to arthrosis in the future.
If you feel the first signs of the disease, immediately contact the specialists, because neglected arthrosis requires a lot of money and long treatment.
Video - Arthrosis of the hands
Deforming arthrosis of the hands - treatment
Diseases of the joints - problems that sooner or later one has to face. How sad it was to say. Of course, avoiding the treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands is much easier. But this is not possible for everyone. As a rule, the ailment catches up suddenly. In addition, because of a weakly expressed symptomatology, fighting with it very often begins with a big delay.
Principles of treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands
The disease develops on the background of depletion or complete destruction of cartilage and articular tissues located in the hand. This can occur because of insufficient blood supply of this part of the body. The main causes of deforming arthrosis brushes include the following:
- hereditary predisposition;
- excessive load on the joint;
- pathological changes in bones and tissues;
- violation of metabolic processes.
To recognize the deforming arthrosis interphalangeal joints of the hands can be for such symptoms:
- acute sensation of tension in the muscles of the hand;
- appearance of crunch;
The most effective treatment is deformed arthrosis of the hands:
- Puffiness and soreness removes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in tablets, ointments, injections.
- Drugs-chondroprotectors are prescribed for the enrichment of joints with nutrients. This greatly accelerates the healing process.
- It is very important for deforming arthrosis of the hands to reduce the load on the brush. Physiotherapeutic procedures, massages will also be useful. Some exercises can even be done independently. So, for example, light strokes effectively disperse blood in the hand.
Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands of folk remedies
It is not necessary to rely exclusively on alternative methods of treatment. But as an additional therapy to apply themeven professionals recommend:
- If a small joint is affected, it is possible to do a tub of hay. To prepare them, a small amount of hay should be poured with boiling water. Soar your hand in water of acceptable temperature. Replace the hay if necessary, you can alternate, mother-and-stepmother, a belligerent.
- Very useful compress of salt with honey. The components are mixed in equal amounts. After applying a sore spot wrapped in cellophane and something warm.
- You can also use any kind of clay for compresses.
It is slightly easier to tolerate the body with ozocerite, but it is not offered in all the sanatoriums. Ozokerite is also indicated for those patients who, after surgery, wore Elizarov's apparatus.
Physiotherapeutic treatment, thermal procedures
Physiotherapy treatment is used for any degree of deforming arthrosis. Most often use electrophoresis, radio waves, magnetotherapy. In no case can this type of treatment be ignored, because it can slow the growth rate of bone processes.
From thermal procedures it is useful to apply turpentine baths and paraffin therapy. To prepare a turpentine bath, add 1 tbsp to a full bath of warm water.spoon of turpentine. In water it is useful to do exercises of therapeutic gymnastics, then the effect of the procedure will increase somewhat.
Paraffinotherapy is easy to do at home. To do this, the pan is covered with a compress paper, and pieces of paraffin are placed on it. The oven is sent to the oven at a temperature of 80 g. Celsius until complete white matter spreading. Then the paraffin is allowed to cool to 37 g. Celsius. Taking the compress paper by the edges, gently turn it over the affected area, then the limb is warmed well. Keep this application until the paraffin is completely cooled. By the way, it can be used many times, but you need to store it in a dark, cool place.
Therapeutic gymnastics, dietotherapy for the treatment of the disease
Dietotherapy for arthrosis
For therapeutic exercises are very thoughtful. In no case, exercises can not be selected independently. Excess loads will only aggravate the problems with the joint, accelerate the destruction of intraarticular surfaces.
Diet therapy for patients with joint diseases is very useful. Food should be low-calorie, but balanced. It is necessary to limit the intake of meat, but 4 times a week there is a cold from a bone broth, rich soups. All products containing gelatin are well suited. Getting into the body, it acts like a chondroprotector - it strengthens the cartilaginous tissue, prevents its further degradation.
Surgery for the treatment of deforming arthrosis of the elbow joint and hands
Surgical treatment of deforming arthrosis is used for diseases of grade 3, when there is no effect of conservative medical measures. Depending on the degree of destruction of the joint structure, endoprosthetics and joint plastic can be prescribed.
In endoprosthetics, the damaged joint parts are replaced with prostheses. If the damage is too great, then it is a question of total replacement of the entire joint with a titanium analogue. Such operations allow not only to part with pain, but to restore mobility of a limb, to raise the quality of life to a person suffering from pathology. After endoprosthetics, the limb begins to function on the third day.
With small bone growths, the surgeon is able to remove osteophytes, without replacement of the joint.
Deforming arthrosis: folk treatment
Treatment with folk remedies is especially good in 1 degree of disease. For a suffering joint, they use:
- fir oil. It is useful to simply rub it into the skin over the joint. The procedure is best done immediately after the medical gymnastics;
- we take equally juniper berries, nettle leaves, overturned mutton fat. Herbal raw materials are finely ground, then combined with a fat base. Then use as a regular ointment;
- infusion of white mistletoe - for 800 ml of boiling water add 2 tablespoons of herbal raw materials, insist 2 hours, take 1 tablespoon infusion 3 times daily before meals;
- 500 gr.chopped Japanese sophora pour vodka to 2 liters, insist 25 days in a warm, but dark place, periodically shaking, take 1 teaspoonful. The course of treatment lasts at least 3 weeks;
- take baths or compresses with bishofit, which can easily be purchased at the pharmacy.
As you can see, the complex approach is important in the treatment of deforming arthrosis. If you want to quickly restore health to your joints, then do a regular limb massage, seek help from a good manual therapist. Helps in the treatment of advanced disease and acupuncture, hirudotherapy.
Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands You are here Home / Treatment programs / Treatment of arthrosis / Treatment of deforming arthrosis / Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands Manifestation of such a disease as arthrosis of the joints of the hands is a big problem for man. This disease leads to the fact that a person can not engage in daily work and is not able to conduct a household. Even the simplest things that he used to do become a challenge for him. What is the cause of this disease? The first thing that leads to it is a violation of compounds of substances in cells. These violations lead to the fact that the cartilage in the joint dries up and the process of its destruction begins. Arthrosis causes limited movements in the joints. When pathologies in the joints begin to form in the joint, it is called deforming arthrosis of the hands. Periodic course is characteristic of this disease. It then becomes aggravated, then disappears. Moreover, exacerbations of the disease occur for no apparent reason. More often than not, it is a disease of elderly people. But there are other reasons that cause this disease:
- Large loads on the joints of the hands.
- Injuries to the joints.
- Violations in the articulation of brushes transmitted at the genetic level.
- The presence of diseases such as: diabetes, arthritis, psoriasis.
- Joint pain that occurs when you move.
- Reaction of joints to change of weather conditions.
- Muscle tension in the joint region.
- Change of length of fingers.
Degrees of disease
- The initial stage of deforming arthrosis of the hands shows itself aching pain. Sometimes the patient feels these pains at night, and at night they can be even stronger than in the daytime. At the first stage the joint is not yet restricted in movement.
- The second degree is different in that the patient begins to feel limited in motion. Joint pains become stronger and more intense. When you move in the joints, you hear a crunch. In some cases, some muscle atrophy is seen. Joints slightly increase due to the beginning of deformation processes.
- In the third stage of the disease, the process of deformation of joints is gaining full strength. At this stage of destruction, the cartilage reaches such dimensions that it is very difficult to treat deforming arthrosis. There is a strong restriction in the movements, the patient has to fix his hand in a certain position. To perform some actions with his hands, he has to overcome severe pain and apply a lot of effort.
Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands Treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hands is exactly the same as deforming arthrosis of the foot. For the treatment to be of high quality and long-term, several rules must be observed. To begin with, it is necessary to accurately establish the degree of damage to the joints, and also to establish precisely the cause that led to the onset of the disease. The correct definition of these components and their correct treatment will necessarily give a positive and long-term result. There are several important areas of treatment that will have to be performed.
Only with the observance of all these factors, the treatment of deforming foot arthrosis can bring a successful and lasting result. For treatment, chondroprotectors( for cartilage repair), anti-inflammatory drugs and pain relievers are prescribed. It is also very important direction in the treatment is to improve blood circulation and increase metabolism. For this purpose, physiotherapy courses and manual therapy sessions are prescribed.
- First. Maximize the load on the joint. It is necessary that the joints do not receive microtrauma.
- The second. Applying a bandage to fix the joint or wristband.